Photo

Baldur's Gate 1 No-Reload Challenge

• Please log in to reply
16390 replies to this topic

ussnorway

ussnorway
  • Members
  • 2,350 posts
I Just follow the plot i.e Jaheira or Xzar wants to go to Nashkel & Garrick wants to go to the Carnival... From there you get Ulcaster, Firewine Bridge, Durlag's Tower & of course Minsc wants the Gnoll Stronghold.

Shadow_Leech07

Shadow_Leech07
  • Members
  • 553 posts
Making slow but steady progress with Alexis. The beginning game is tricky for a bard IMO because of the threat of...errrm...being ambushed but I think I'll manage. I kind of want to play around with the Tales of Sword Coast areas because I want to get at improved invisibility. Perhaps I'll do it now or later.

Edited by Shadow_Leech07, 10 June 2011 - 06:39 AM.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

touch_of_the_void wrote...

As I mentioned a couple of days ago I decided to enter a character in the challenge.

I'm glad to see you joining in ToV. It should be an interesting playthrough. Good hunting!

Cheers,

A.

Btw. I think going with unkitted Druids was a wise move. You might have had balancing issues otherwise.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts
Alesia at the Duchal Palace (Or What to Do When Your Sis Bombs Her Final)

Alesia's plan for the Duchal Palace Battle had been very simple: have Imoen cast Remove Magic to dispel the Doppelganger's Illusions and Haste, then Kill them. Unfortunately, despite drinking a Potion of Genius, Imoen failed to memorize Remove Magic. This forced Alesia to get creative.

The Plan: Buff up Imoen in Spider form to a -11 AC, a low THACO, and a high strength- with a Ghoul Touch scroll at the ready. Buff up Viconia to a reasonable hit point total, a low AC, and a strength in the 20s. Let her wield a Flame Blade. Give Alesia a Potion of Mind Focusing. Keep her in one doorway firing Arrows of Dispelling while wearing the Bracers of Archery. Keep Yarame in another doorway with a Wand of Fear at the ready.

Lay down 2 Special Snares before entering. Then, let Imoen and Viconia take positions near the Dukes. For each Doppelganger that approaches the Dukes the attack will proceed as follows. Alesia: Arrow of Dispelling ->Imoen: Ghoul Touch at 5 APR->Viconia Flame Blade.. Let Yarame pulse the Wand of Fear and occasionally fire a Magic Missle to finish.

Execution: Once again, the plan went smoothly.

The Special Snares took out 1 Doppelganger at outset.
Posted Image

Those near the Dukes were Paralyzed and then dropped by Viconia's Flame Blade.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Assorted stragglers were ended with Alesia's Arrows.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Final Comments: While Alesia wasn't able to follow her first choice plan here. Everything worked out fine.

Best,

A.

Btw. Alesia and Imoen will battle Sarevok soon. Their character information before setting off appears below.

Alesia
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Imoen

Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by Alesia_BH, 10 June 2011 - 11:52 AM.

The Fred

The Fred
  • Members
  • 2,516 posts

Aldain wrote...
On our way back to Nashkel, we're ambushed! Rather amusingly, it's a bear.. got to wonder how something that slow managed to corner us. Anyway, it's no laughing matter if we get within range of those claws.

You need SCS' Faster Bears.
Posted Image

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

Alesia_BH wrote...
I prefer to minimize out of storyline questing on role-playing grounds- I find it hard to justify sight-seeing and minor questing when ones life and the fate of the region are on the line.

To be clear, this quote wasn't intended to apply to all characters of all players- it's applicable to me playing Alesia.

Given her mindset, she would have locked onto the kill-or-be-killed dynamic immediately. Preparedness, her Potion addiction, and Imoen's needs are they only things that could slow her down.

Serg BlackStrider wrote...
As to my intention to explore everything - from one side it's simply my usual approach in games (how could I brush aside all that precious stuff laying here and there?). And from another - it's out of roleplay as well. BlackStrider definitely need to put his huge gnomish nose in every nook...[smilie]../../../images/forum/emoticons/blushing.png[/smilie] For what else this nose is meant, I wonder [smilie]../../../images/forum/emoticons/wondering.png[/smilie]

Makes sense.

ussnorway wrote...

I Just follow the plot i.e Jaheira or Xzar wants to go to Nashkel & Garrick wants to go to the Carnival... From there you get Ulcaster, Firewine Bridge, Durlag's Tower & of course Minsc wants the Gnoll Stronghold.

That makes sense too. :)

It depends on the character of course though. Alesia wouldn't charge off after someone without an upfront price negotiation so she brushed off Minsc when he made his request. Minsc went Hostile, Alesia killed him. So no Gnoll Stronghold for her. That makes sense for Alesia.

Edited by Alesia_BH, 10 June 2011 - 01:00 PM.

Incantatar

Incantatar
  • Members
  • 170 posts
Ceawen the Cavalier and his party

Chapter 2 cont.
The party arrived at the Gnoll hold and rescued Dynaheir. They brought them safely back to Nashkell where Ceawen decided too let Minsc continue his Dejemma. Onward to the Nashkell Mines. The party defended Prism from a bounty hunter and entered the mines. They found the half-orc responsible for the trouble and defeated him, but a clue leads back to Beregost.

Chapter 3

Xan was picked up and they reported back to Nashkell and returned the Emeralds while another assassin tried his luck and failed. Before heading to Beregost Ceawen decided to search for this mad Brage. A bit northeast they didn't found him but a useful Two-Handed Sword +1 for Ceawen. Too the west they catched him and brought him back to Nashkell. On the way back to Beregost they also hunted down Bassilus and tried to help Melicamp who unfortunately died in the process. In Beregost they had to kill mad Silke and the ominous Tarnesh who regrettably couldn't flee from the party because a few arrows were already on their way when he tried to.
The party went on to the northeastern woods to solve the bandit problems and find this Tazok. They were attacked and defended themselves from several bandit groups until they found the camp, which was handled without much hindrance.

Chapter 4
After the Bandit Camp Imoen dualed to the mage class. The party did a few quests and areas northwest of Beregost until they head for Cloakwood. They helped Aldeth defend the Druids and cleared the areas on their search for the mines of all evil. Coran joined the party for his Wyvern quest and stayed for the now needed trap searching and unlocking abilities.
Main strategy was to have Ceawen melee, while mostly the rest fights ranged. With Spider's Bane and the elemental resistance helmet it only takes a divine spell to make him immune to fire, charm, hold, poison and fear which allows webbing and fireballing him from behind.
Hp-wise Ceawen stayed behind and only catched up a bit with the first good roll of 10 at lvl 6 and the tome of constitution.

The only hairy situation till now was the fight against the temple map wolve pack. A vampire wolf started off with a crit and Ceawen was instastunned.
The party hastily used Web, Fear, Sleep, Charm and summoning to save Ceawen and was luckily successful.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The party rescued the slaves in the mine, killed all hostile bandits and Deavorn.  Ceawen and Khalid were confused at the mine entrance encounter but Ceawen only attacked the enemies (and a Squirrel, sorry).

Posted Image
Khalid on the other hand an exceptional archer started pelting the party with arrows of biting. Well they fled and survived luckily. The rest of the mine was straightforward. For the final fight the party used a few potions and two uses from the wand of monster summoning.

Posted Image
Deavorn is no comparison to his SCS pendant in Vanilla. But anyway, i'll want to beat the trilogy this time so lets start vanilla.

Latest stats after Coran left the party:

Ceawen lvl 6 Cavalier, 63hp
Khalid lvl 6 Fighter, 73hp
Imoen lvl 6-5 Thief->Mage, 40hp
Xan lvl 6 Enchanter, 19hp
Jaheira lvl 5/6 Fighter-Druid, 46hp

Edited by Incantatar, 10 June 2011 - 01:36 PM.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts
Quick Note on Alesia's Game:

It's time for a showdown...
Posted Image

Best,

A.

The Fred

The Fred
  • Members
  • 2,516 posts
The Adventures of Pallyn the Adept

Pallyn and co. made a brief forray into Durlag's Tower. Yeslick pretty much soloed Kirinhale, with some Magic Missile support from Imoen, thanks to his overpowered shield which grants Protection from Evil. Then, we headed down to the first main level (the one with the warders) and cleared the doppelganger room with ease, which gained Yeslick a level-up. I'm not sure I really want him sucking up all our XP, but with his low AC and extra Cleric spells, he is useful.

Then we headed back up top and sold off out stuff. Khalid should find the Strength Tome useful, though.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts
Quick Note on Alesia's Game:

I'm pleased to report that Alesia and Imoen have defeated Sarevok. There was one false start due to a crash that occurred midway through the first try (Alesia was clearly winning that time too) but after the crash everything went smoothly.

While the outcome was never in doubt, there are somethings I would do differently were I to complete the battle with that pair again. Most notably, I would have invested in some Potions of Power and Arrows of Piercing: the battle was far longer than it should have been due to misses.

Alesia and Imoen may do some Sword Coast adventuring before heading on to BGII. We'll see. I'll post a final battle report sometime soon.

Best,

A.

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,558 posts
Congrats, Alesia!

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts
Alesia vs. Sarevok (Or Why We've Gotta Keep on Movin')

I find the SCS Sarevok Battle very similar to the Ascension Final Battle. The safest way to complete it is to stay ranged while immune to range damage and stay on the move. So long as you can maintain a movement rate advantage, you win. That's basically the approach Imoen and Alesia took here.

The Plan: Buff to 100% resistance to Fire, Electricity, and Cold. 50% against Acid. Be sure to drink Potions of Clarity, Potions of Defense, and Mind Focusing Potions before initiating combat. Consume one Oil of Speed each, and keep others at the ready. Have Imoen cast Protection from Missles on Alesia and herself. Keep the 2 Protection from MIssles scrolls in reserve. This will negate range attacks so long as the buffs last. Speed and movement can negate melee weapons.

Use Ranged Weapons, Spell, and Wands to take down Sarevok's Acolytes. Opportunistic stab-and-go attacks with zero speed factor weapons may be used as well. Before worrying about damage, use Arrows of Dispelling to remove Haste effects. Prioritize enemies with Ranged Attack abilities. When only Sarevok remains, buff Imoen in a Polymorph Form with a Fireshield. Let Sarevok engage, and have Alesia toss her Snares and then stand behind Sarevok with her Ring of Invisibility equipped. Alesia will them Backstab while Sarevok swings at Imoen's Mirror Images and takes damage from the Fireshield. He'll die.

Execution: This battle didn't go according to plan exactly. I underestimated the difficuty Alesia and Imoen would have hitting Sarevok's Acolytes- most notably Diarmid. Diarmid was by far the biggest hurdle throughout the fight. He was the only one who had a chance to kill Imoen or Alesia. Had he survived long enough to outlast their Protection from Missles scrolls, he may very well have done it. Fortunately, he didn't.

Alesia's first move was to Dispell Haste effecs with her Dispellng Arrows. It took 4 shots to remove Sarevok's Haste. This was the first sign that the battle would be lengthier than expected.
Posted Image

With Sarevok's speed reduced, Alesia and Imoen were now essentially safe. Semaj was first on the hit list. He took a Dispelling Arrow first, then a hail of Cold Arrows. When he vanished, Alesia targetted his heal animation with the Necklace of MIssles. One down.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Next, Angelo. Same strategy here...
Posted Image
Posted Image

Diarmid was next on the hitlist. Slight problem though: Alesia couldn't hit him. And his Pro Magic scroll would foil Imoen's wands and Spells. What to do? Alesia put off the problem by taking down Tazok first.
Posted Image

Shortly thereafter, Alesia's Pro Missles spell wore off. Diarmid immediately switched to his Bow and it became clear that he posed a serious threat.
Posted Image

Alesia and Imoen disappeared, refreshed their Pro Missles, and then decide to switch tactics. Remember the plan for killing Sarevok? Backstabs, Snares, and Polymorphing? They decided to use that on Diarmid instead. Sarevok will always be harmless. He's slow, has no range weapon and doesn't have an impressive attack speed factor or an abnormal melee range. Enemies like that aren't scary. Diarmid, however, could be a threat is Pro Missles ran out. He was the one to use the Snares and Invisibility Charges on. The Polymorph approach was used as well but it was more-or-less a bust since neither Imoen nor backstabbing Alesia landed anything. All it did was singe the Skeleton Warriors- simplifying the post battle cleanup slightly.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Finally. A stab-and-go hit does it.
Posted Image

Just Sarevok now. Alesia kited for spell slinging Imoen and took opportunistic swipes with her Short Sword.  
Posted Image

Alesia was invisible preparing for a Backstab when she saw this.
Posted Image

Fin!

Final Comments: Alesia had a solid plan here so the outcome was never really in doubt. Negligence on my part was the only thing that could have killed her. It took WAY longer than it should have though (hours in fact). Note-to-Self: bring Potions of Power and Arrows of Piercing next time...

Best,

A.

Edited by Alesia_BH, 10 June 2011 - 08:42 PM.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

Serg BlackStrider wrote...

Congrats, Alesia!

Thanks Serg! This run is a bit like yours- I'm trying to No Reload the Triology with my favorite character. She's done BG1 and BG2 but never in the same run. I'm hoping this will be the one.

Good luck to you Serg! I hope to see you in Amn. :)

Best,

A.

Aldain

Aldain
  • Members
  • 39 posts
Odrelomp continues his legendary adventures. When last we left our hero and his intrepid companions, they were recovering from their heroics in Beregost. One rest and a few of Grandma Gogglebur's Patented Hangover Cures later, they were on the road again!

Fearing Bassilus would be slightly out of the party's reach for now, I decide to go after the shield-obsessed halfogres instead. Everything goes as planned, and the party even manages the odd levelup
Posted Image

Feeling quite sure of myself, I decide it's time for Bassilus to meet his less-than-pleasant god in person. However, while clearing out Zargal prior to taking on Bassilus, I get a little spooked when his archer pals tag Minsc with poisonous arrows, and throw a lightning bolt at one of them, courtesy of Imoen's earlier banditry in Beregost.
Of course, said lightning bolt, after killing the offending hobgoblin, bounces back, kills Minsc (who miracolously makes his save and takes only 11 damage.. had he failed he'd most likely gotten fried as he was very low on hp from the poison), and comes within an inch of catching Dynaheir as well.

I resolve to be a bit more careful in the future where lightning bolts are concerned. I grab Minsc's stuff, head for the Temple and get him raised

Posted Image

On my way back to confront Bassilus, I stop by Thalantyr to attempt to save Melicamp from his fate. Once again, the Lady of Luck smiles on Odrelomp (or Melicamp, depending on your perspective) and the former fowl survives!
Posted Image

We're back in Bassilus' area with a vengeance. Ever the clever one, I intend to throw him offbalance so he loses control of his minions. Of course, lacking an 18 CHA char, I don't get a good enough reaction roll, and suddenly we find ourselves rather badly outnumbered (adding insult to injury, Bassilus saves against my only silence spell AND the entange)

Posted Image

Once again, Tymora proves Odrelomp is indeed one of her chosen. This was the point in the game where I, roleplaying wise, decided he is a cleric of Tymora, not Ilmater.
Lucky break #1: Despite having a save vs spells of 17, Minsc saves against a Hold person tossed by Bassilus.
Lucky break #2: Bassilus, who just passed a save vs spells with a -5 modifier.. fails his save against my own Hold person!
Posted Image

With Bassilus essentially out of the picture, the rest (even for my lowlevel party) is essentially mopup duty. We prevail.
Posted Image

Following this, I was feeling quite invulnerable. We head south to clear out the areas west of Nashkel, including the ones where we skipped all encounters to get at Dynaheir as early as possible. Little of note happens as the party is now becoming reasonably powerful. Borda takes a dirtnap and gives up his arcane secrets
Posted Image

Neville and Caldo/Krumm are helpless before Odrelomp's divinely inspired onslaught (Sendai and Vax/Zal naturally met their demise as well, no screenies however)
Posted Image

Posted Image

Before returning to Nashkel, we stop off at the Carnival and give Zordral a stern talking to. Unfortunately, he takes offense, killing his hostage.. for which he pays. Moments after this screenshot, Minsc lands a nice hit and Zordral becomes the pile of chunks previously known as Zordral
Posted Image

While at the carnival, I pick up two nice potions as well. Unfortunately, I get a little carried away inspecting them and accidently have Dynaheir drink the Red one.. giving me a very strong mage for 24 hours. Less than useful

Posted Image

Finally we return to Nashkel, literally loaded down with loot. Not so loaded down that we can't handle just a little more, however.. a lesson Imoen takes to heart while exercising her burglary skills on the Nashkel manor. Another invisibility potion is NEVER a bad thing
Posted Image

However, before we grow too complacent, there's a vile assassin to deal with. Neira is swiftly disarmed by a Silence spell, but not before she manages to hit Minsc with Rigid Thinking.
Posted Image

After she dies, Minsc starts attacking the barkeep.. however, by some minor miracle he doesn't immediately turn hostile, and I'm able to move Jaheira up next to Minsc to bear the brunt of his attacks until he snaps out of it.

Around here, the party feels enough is enough, and that perhaps a short rest would be in order. Odrelomp agrees, and buys everyone a round to boot
Posted Image

Another fine adventurous episode concludes here! Most of the party has at least one magical weapon, we have access to level 2 spells of both divine and arcane varieties (though Dynaheir only knows Horror due to me being apprehensive about mass scribing with her low Int). Odrelomp is now level 4 and making good progress, next on our itinerary are the Nashkel Mines.
Posted Image

Incantatar

Incantatar
  • Members
  • 170 posts
@Alesia
Yeah, i wondered why you just attacked with +1 arrows.
And congrats! The improved Sarevok battle is the only part from SCS i was to scared to try in a no-reload before.

Edited by Incantatar, 10 June 2011 - 06:31 PM.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

Incantatar wrote...

@Alesia
Yeah, i wondered why you just attacked with +1 arrows.

Alesia ran out of gold basically. By the time she got done buying all the stuff she'd need to keep Imoen and herself safe, she was flat broke. The choice was to either adventure to raise funds, or go in a little light on offense. She chose the latter.

Picking up the Eagle Bow might have made sense as well.

And congrats! The improved Sarevok battle is the only part from SCS i was to scared to try in a no-reload before.

Thanks! And good luck to you.

Best,

A.

Edited by Alesia_BH, 10 June 2011 - 06:56 PM.

touch_of_the_void

touch_of_the_void
  • Members
  • 137 posts

Alesia_BH wrote...

I'm glad to see you joining in ToV. It should be an interesting playthrough. Good hunting!

Cheers,

A.

Btw. I think going with unkitted Druids was a wise move. You might have had balancing issues otherwise.

Thanks. And yes I think you're right, all the druid kits are overpowered for BG1.

Arande's companions are Tanarakt, Oppugna, Malvolo, Beatrix and Triana. They are a mixture of humans & half-elves. I'm not going to post all their character records; I went for darts proficiencies with four of the six, slings for one and then a variety of melee weapons. Tanarakt has Single Weapon Style rather than a ranged weapon proficiency, mainly for the AC boost.

I had Arande play through Candlekeep on his own before having the other five join him at the start of Chapter 1. As a result he's a bit ahead xp-wise. The journey to the Friendly Arm Inn was more eventful than I had hoped for... the band of druids ended up limping into the Inn with Oppugna in a body bag covered with Dire Wolf bite marks (I carelessly strayed a little off the path to get the Ring of Protection and ended up fighting two of them).

Fortunately we had enough gold to raise her before taking on Tarnesh. He wasn't a major obstacle, disabling a few of the party before going down to the persistent dart shower. It was a risk to fight him now (and still with no spells memorised) but roleplaying-wise avoiding him wasn't an option.

Beregost was next; things did not go particularly well for Arande as the party inadvertently ended up in a bar-fight and then doing Silke's unpleasant bidding. Still, who knows, perhaps those Potions of Defense will come in handy :whistle:.

Since then things have looked brighter. We struggled to hit Neira thanks to her armour and buffs but managed to interrupt her most dangerous spell in Animate Dead and won through with no losses just with Doom + darts. She cast lots of disabling spells but didn't capitalise on any of them by going after the unconscious / held characters. Being neutral and therefore immune to Unholy Blight was obviously a big factor here.

Arande at this point was getting rather fed up of people trying to kill him and resolved to stay clear of the towns of the Sword Coast for a little while in favour of exploring the countryside. He was also in no rush to head down some mine. Nothing particularly exciting has happened although the party have picked up a couple of useful items (Wand of Sleep, Shield Amulet, Girdle of Bluntness) and hit level 2 thanks to Melicamp surviving his dechickenating (always nice).

If / when we get to more interesting battles I'll post some screenshots.

Edited by touch_of_the_void, 10 June 2011 - 08:03 PM.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts
Glad to see you getting started ToV. I don't recall you ever posting on a No Reload run before. Is this your first or did you do some during one of my "sabbaticals"?

Best,

A.

Btw. I've moved Alesia on to BGII. I'll still be actively following this thread though- I may even start another character.

touch_of_the_void

touch_of_the_void
  • Members
  • 137 posts

Alesia_BH wrote...

Glad to see you getting started ToV. I don't recall you ever posting on a No Reload run before. Is this your first or did you do some during one of my "sabbaticals"?

No, I haven't posted a no-reload character before.

I had some free time this evening and made some more progress. It's been plain sailing to level 3; this is the strategy that I've used so far:

- buff with Bless; Tanarakt also uses Armor of Faith and Shillelagh

- Tanarakt stands at the front of the party and bears the brunt of the enemy attack. He is equipped with the Girdle of Piercing or Bluntness as appropriate, the Shield Amulet for use when necessary, studded leather (AC bonus vs slashing is nice even I use a charge of the amulet). Add in that nice bonus from Single Weapon Style and a Ring of Protection and given that anything we fight that has more than a couple of HD will be under Doom this makes him extremely hard to hit.

- The rest of the party ensures all enemies are Doomed and use Entangle where possible (avoid catching Tanarakt though) then attack with darts and sling stones.

If something goes wrong (e.g. more enemies come to join the fight) we have the Wands of Sleep and Fear to fall back on. Arande can also use Larloch's Minor Drain for a little boost.

Here's a screenshot from the beginning of the spider battle in Beregost.

Posted Image

Now we're level 3 any humanoid or animal we encounter must contend with all the above plus a LOT of Charm Person / Mammal spells (we have 18 level 2 slots and honestly there isn't much else worth taking at the moment). This isn't so great against individual enemies (although they can be walked to the far side of the Entangle AoE...) but is good for groups.

Undead are difficult, particularly if, like Skeletons, they have missile damage resistance. I've not encountered any Ghouls so far but their slow speed means Doom + Entangle should be fairly effective.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

touch_of_the_void wrote...

this is the strategy that I've used so far:

- buff with Bless; Tanarakt also uses Armor of Faith and Shillelagh

- Tanarakt stands at the front of the party and bears the brunt of the enemy attack. He is equipped with the Girdle of Piercing or Bluntness as appropriate, the Shield Amulet for use when necessary, studded leather (AC bonus vs slashing is nice even I use a charge of the amulet). Add in that nice bonus from Single Weapon Style and a Ring of Protection and given that anything we fight that has more than a couple of HD will be under Doom this makes him extremely hard to hit.

- The rest of the party ensures all enemies are Doomed and use Entangle where possible (avoid catching Tanarakt though) then attack with darts and sling stones.

If something goes wrong (e.g. more enemies come to join the fight) we have the Wands of Sleep and Fear to fall back on. Arande can also use Larloch's Minor Drain for a little boost.

Makes sense.

Now we're level 3 any humanoid or animal we encounter must contend with all the above plus a LOT of Charm Person / Mammal spells (we have 18 level 2 slots and honestly there isn't much else worth taking at the moment). This isn't so great against individual enemies (although they can be walked to the far side of the Entangle AoE...) but is good for groups.

I'm interested in seeing how you leverage this ability later on. 18 Charms is a quite a lot. Seems like there is some potential there...

Undead are difficult, particularly if, like Skeletons, they have missile damage resistance.

:)

I know what you mean. Skeletons were my least favorite foes in my last two runs (Alia and Alesia). I think I ended up using more Necklace of Missles charges on them than in the "tough" fights...

Best,

A.

Shadow_Leech07

Shadow_Leech07
  • Members
  • 553 posts
Congrats Alesia! Good luck with your trilogy run!

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

Shadow_Leech07 wrote...

Congrats Alesia! Good luck with your trilogy run!

Thanks Shadow_Leech. Alesia has hit hard times in Amn. She has had some really bad luck stealing and is now in a reputation hole. I can also see scroll bottlenecks in the future...

Hopefully she'll pull through.

Best,

A.

ussnorway

ussnorway
  • Members
  • 2,350 posts
Congrats, Alesia! Did you pick up the gloves of pickpocket from the slums inn... could help?

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

ussnorway wrote...

Congrats, Alesia!

Thanks.

Did you pick up the gloves of pickpocket from the slums inn... could help?

Yup. She was wearing the gloves. Her pickpocketing skill was buffed up to 160 and she still got busted 3 times- one after the other with only one success in between. Apparently her reputation preceded her...  

Anyhoo. This is off topic in the BG1 thread. I cover her run in the other thread.

Best of luck with your adventures USSNorway.

Best,

A.

Edited by Alesia_BH, 11 June 2011 - 08:19 AM.

Shadow_Leech07

Shadow_Leech07
  • Members
  • 553 posts
Here are my bard's current stats
Alexis Heights female half-elf Neutral good
level 7 bard
str 15 dex 18 con 16 int 17 wis 5 char 15

Here is her recent progress, at least a summary, her behavior is not neutral good obviously, it is really chaotic neutral if not chaotic evil

Melicamp dies
There will be no saving of the doomed chicken named Melicamp, as Alexis notes in her journal.

Korax goes up against Mutamin
Yep it is the minion ghoul against the basilisk trainer in this match up. And the winner is Korax! Korax manages to paralyze(stun or whatever ghouls do) against Mutamin and poor Mutamin, he saved against two blind spells but not Korax's monstrous ghoul attack.

Alexis Heights versus Mulahey
This battle began easily, Mulahey was blinded and Alexis was confident she would rid the Nashkel Mines of his evil with flying colors. But when near death, Mulahey began to panic and ran around frantically, drawing in kobolds and skeletons in her wake. The skeletons cornered Alexis and nearly killed her where the treasure chest lay. Luckily she had a full set of five healing potions to run through as she used her sword to hack her way through. But the two skeletons remaining which yielded no experience nearly killed her once again where Xan was. The area is actually very narrow despite appearances. Alexis was out of healing potions so she had to use her emergency invisibility scroll(reserved for bandit ambushes) to escape this cornering. A very intense escape lead to Mulahey's death, where he was blinded again and killed. Alexis drank a potion of freedom pre-emptively while invisible.

Alexis and the Amnish Guards versus Nimbul
It took three blind spells but Nimbul was finally blinded on the third try. Alexis mirror image and resist magic blocked both Nimbul's magic missile and horror spells and the Nashkel Guards took him down with their arrows because Alexis has horrible aim against the boots of avoidance. Now Alexis claims the right to wear the boots.

Alexis versus Dushai
Our favorite bard has met with a self-meditating hobbit named Dushai. Alexis attempts to pickpocket Dushai and she succeeds in getting the web scroll, but this was not what Alexis wanted. The second pickpocket try has caused Dushai to go hostile on Alexis! Alexis tries to charm Dushai multiple times, and then ends up killing Dushai and getting the ring of free action. Murdering someone in the middle of the street does not count as a reputation loss, Alexis is surprised. Oh well, onwards to killing other things.

The second scroll of invisibility
Alexis acquired another scroll of invisibility to replace her previous. But this scroll did not last long as well, she was ambushed by a fierce group of bandit archers. Luckily she cast from the scroll and was able to survive such encounter. Alexis acquired the cloak of nondetection afterwards. She also killed Meilum for the gauntlets of weapons expertise and is now hunting ankhegs.

Additional notes: She is now about to assault the bandit camp but needs to get through the two forest areas first. She defeated Tranzig with magic missiles, not much of a battle there.

*A critical(lucky) hit from an ankheg kills Alexis with one hit, and I thought she was going somewhere, oh well it was bound to happen. I'll think about what to play next.

Edited by Shadow_Leech07, 11 June 2011 - 07:51 AM.