Photo

Baldur's Gate 1 No-Reload Challenge

• Please log in to reply
16394 replies to this topic

G_Admiral_Thrawn

G_Admiral_Thrawn
  • Members
  • 180 posts
Here is the Baldur's Gate II no-reload thread for 2010. Link to original thread on the old Bioware Forums site:

forums.bioware.com/myviewtopic.html

And here is the original post rules:

From the original post:

Rules --

1. No reloading, this one
should be obvious. If dies that is it for this
challenge. Feel free to enter the Minimal-Reloads Challenge and continue
posting your character’s exploits. If a bug or glitch in your game
should cause you to have to reload that is acceptable. If, however, an
NPC dies (chunked), you have to live with the death and are not allowed
to reload.

2. No hacked classes, i.e. no illegal class
combinations or alterations using Shadow Keeper.

3. NPCs. You
don’t have to use the Bioware game NPCs. Feel free to either make your
own (through multiplayer) or modify existing NPCs through Shadow Keeper,
as long as it is within the realm of what the NPC would be. In other
words, no making Mazzy a monk. Something along the lines of changing
Minsc to another ranger kit or a berserker is acceptable. Please keep in
mind as above, no illegal class combinations or alterations. Use your
best judgement.

4. Play on "Core Rules"; this may make spell
memorization and gaining HPs somewhat interesting. Optional: if you so
choose you can put the slider back during level-up to get maximum HPs
and/or 100% spell memorization. But don't forget to change it back to
core rules!

5. If you want to use the console to add in a bag of
holding, feel free. Not many people like playing the “inventory
management game.”

6. If you want to skip the opening dungeon, you
can use the Dungeon-Be-Gone mod.

7. Post your mods and character
stats (abilities) on your initial post.

8. Post intermittent
progress reports about your progress through SOA.

9. Clearly post
when your PC has died.

10. Have fun!

Guidelines:

1. No "required" subquests - those who want the additional challenge and
reward can take on subquests as they wish.

2. Players may take
advantage of ToB functionality (tab key,
wild mage kit, extended XP cap, etc).

3. If you decide to withdraw from the competition,
could you please make a post indicating such?

Have fun, and
keep us posted of your progess!

Edited by G_Admiral_Thrawn, 14 July 2010 - 09:19 AM.

G_Admiral_Thrawn

G_Admiral_Thrawn
  • Members
  • 180 posts
This is my No Reload Challenge, from BG2, requested here because I'm starting from Candlekeep.

My No Reload BG stats are 18/00 Strength (took a while to get it), 18 Dexterity, 18 Constitution, 18 Intelligence, 5 Wisdom, and 3 Charisma. 2 points in Katanas and 2 points in single weapon style.

Not sure I'm gonna dual him to a mage or thief. Probably thief, since there aren't any good thieves in BG2... Jan is annoying (not to mention he's an illusionist, losing access to one of my favorite spell schools- Necromancy), you lose the only true thief halfway through the game, and the other 2 are low level thieves dualed over to mages...

I haven't even started this game, and I made my first mistake. I was doing some research, and found out there are NO (or almost no) katanas in BGTutu. So, I either use Shadowkeeper (and not only cheating, but loading/reloading) or take a major thac0 penalty until I get a couple of more levels. Or since I haven't done anything, I could start over, but trying to get 18/00 is ANNOYING...

But I'm not gonna start until I finish my ToB game, which maybe a couple of days...

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
If it helps Thrawn, when you beat BG 1 no-reload then you "graduate" to the BG 2 no-reload thread.

Also just so people know this is the actual link to the BG 1 no-reload thread from the old site: forums.bioware.com/viewtopic.html

Edited by corey_russell, 14 July 2010 - 11:24 AM.

G_Admiral_Thrawn

G_Admiral_Thrawn
  • Members
  • 180 posts
thanks. One question. Because there are almost no katanas (according to my research, there are 3 katanas, one normal, one cursed, and a third one which is just a standard +1 katana) in BG Tutu, mind if I use shadowkeeper to change the proficency points from Katanas to something like Long Swords, then change it back for BG2?

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
You are right Katanas proficiency for BG 1 is rather silly. No, don't mind that. And unless you are doing BGT mod maybe, otherwise you would get the option to change proficiencies when you import your character from BG 1.

Irrbloss

Irrbloss
  • Members
  • 256 posts
You don't get to reselect your proficiencies with Tutu either.

G_Admiral_Thrawn

G_Admiral_Thrawn
  • Members
  • 180 posts
I've used SK to give me 2 points in Long Swords (and I'm gonna switch it back in BG2- the Celestial Fury +5 is just soooo cool). That's gonna be the limit of my "cheating"

Irrbloss

Irrbloss
  • Members
  • 256 posts
How appropriate that my first no-reload post here would conclude a no-reload run.

Arimanes - Wild Mage(10)
Imoen - Thief(6)->Mage(9)
Minsc - Berserker(8)
Edwin - Conjurer(10)
Dynaheir - Invoker(10)
Xan - Enchanter(10)

As we last left Arimanes and friends they had just sent Aec'Letec packing and journeyed back to Baldur's Gate to confront Sarevok. Link because it was some time ago.

Baldur's Gate is aflame with talk of recent happenings. They soon learn about the murders and about Sarevok's imminent coronation. Outside the Flaming Fist headquarters Tamoko reveals yet more information. Pressing onwards, Flaming Fist are brushed aside and duke Eltan is saved. While liberating the corrupt Flaming Fist headquarters they find a Tome of Clear Thought. On their way to the harbour master they pass the Iron Throne compound and take the opportunity to pop in and obtain some incriminating information on Sarevok.

Their next stop is the Undercellar, where they go up against Krystin and Slythe. There is one little complication, however. But with five mages there is usually someone else who can pick up the slack. The squirrels are put to use as well, and while Slythe and Krystin try to make their way past the little rodents they fall victim to a Chaos spell. Slythe falls after a second Detect Invisibility, and Krystin soon follows. The spoils are rich and Edwin gladly slips a Ring of Wizardry onto his finger.

The party enters the palace and Sarevok attempts his coup. However, two small nudges and it all falls apart. Imoen gains a level during the fight. Sarevok is soon on the run and party pursues. The trek through the labyrinth is uneventful, except Winski pulls a seemly unpleasant surprise from his pointy hat. (Another aTweaks Nabassu would be very bad at this point.) However, the demon turns out to be nothing quite as fierce as another Aec'Letec. After killing Winski it confuses Imoen and Dynaheir but falls shortly after that. On Winski's body they find a interesting item: a scroll of Cacofiend. (That's a plan B if I ever saw one.)

They emerge into the Undercity. The minor undead are brushed aside by Minsc and the skeleton warriors are taken down through team effort. Tamoko vainly tries to kill them but is herself the one to die. The party assumes the group of people are unfriendly and with the element of surprise on their side they quickly defeat them. They rest, prepare and enter the Bhaalist temple to face Sarevok.

Since this is it, they dig into their supply of scrolls and potions. They all go invisible and take position around Sarevok's dais. Dynaheir opens with a Web scroll, but it is ineffective. Semaj teleports across the chamber and starts triggering Web and Stinking Cloud traps like crazy. Sarevok starts chasing after Arimanes, Edwin lays down a Teleport Field and someone confuses Semaj. Xan knocks out Semaj and Angelo out with a Emotion spell and the two are blasted with Skull Traps.

With the two enemy mages killed victory seems to be in hand. Sarevok continues chasing after Arimanes, but between Arimanes' Stoneskins, Mirror Images and the Teleport Field Sarevok is no threat. The party whips up some fodder which successfully distracts Sarevok. While Sarevok splatters ogres and gnolls, the party focuses on Tazok. The half-ogre accomplice eats Magic Missiles and dies. Minsc puts an Arrow of Dispelling in Sarevok. Every mage in the party starts casting disabling spells and Sarevok is soon both confused and held. With Sarevok thoroughly rendered harmless the party kills him at their leisure.

Sarevok is defeated and Arimanes and fellows stand victorious.

Arimanes will continue in BG2, eventually.

Edited by Irrbloss, 15 July 2010 - 01:04 AM.

BomimoDK

BomimoDK
  • Members
  • 806 posts
Please guys, replace the "click here" with the actual pictures like this Image here it's so much better and we don't have to click around.

Irrbloss

Irrbloss
  • Members
  • 256 posts
Maybe my preferences are wildly outlandish, but I don't see how it would help readability to have 10-30 images embedded in the post. Especially not when they are reduced that much in size. Presumably it'd be even worse if I used a modern resolution.

Edited by Irrbloss, 15 July 2010 - 01:05 AM.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
I didn't see any embed pictures function in the interface, just links. Also you say like "this image" but I don't see any image. Irrbloss has a good point though, with 30 pictures all being shown a single post could be huge in length, not to mention the resolution would not be as good with it shrunk.

I'm not saying I wouldn't try that, my posts don't usually have a ton of pictures, but don't know how to do it and it's not in the interface that I can see, so until that changes...

Irrbloss

Irrbloss
  • Members
  • 256 posts
You embed pictures with {img}url{/img}, except you use square brackets instead of curly ones.

Edited by Irrbloss, 15 July 2010 - 09:22 AM.

Argent77

Argent77
  • Members
  • 24 posts

BomimoDK wrote...

Please guys, replace the "click here" with the actual pictures like this … it's so much better and we don't have to click around.

I doubt that will help much in my case. I usually have 20+ pictures in each of my posts. If I’d insert them as images instead of links, the loading times would increase dramatically.

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,558 posts
Ho there all in our new home :) Hope, the spirit of the *Great Old Ones* forums will not dissipate here.

The journey of BlackStrider & Co continues quite flawlessly.  We finished:
- Brevlik's Telescope (met Alora and sent her to FAI' evergrowing company)
- Robbed Oberon's House and finished Thief's Guild quest.
- The Seven Suns
- Green Slime Tavern
- Sunin the Mage
Click here
Click here  Click here
Click here
Click here
- The Maulers and the Gorpel Hind
Jaheira used potion of free action
Click here
and then we shoot Web+Slow+Silence+Emotion
Click here
Click here
Click here
Click here
after that the battle is actually over
Click here
Gorpel Hind & Co even didn't distracted from their beer during the fight but were somehow wounded. By whom and where I wonder? :huh:  At least they didn't got underfoot..
Click here
- Petrine's Cat Angel
- Rinnie's Book of Unicorn Run. I've stored one in the chest in FAI, but forgot to take it along the way. Luckily I've got another copy on top of Ramazith's Tower
- The Noblewoman and Cyrdemac
- Jardak's House
- Degrodel and the Helm of Balduran. Well, here Jaheira & Imoen both gulped potions of invulnerability and enter Degrodel house. Jaheira gathered all enemies around her and Imoen finished them all with wand of lightning. Unintentionaly one chaotic bouncing bolt hit Degrodel so we were forced to kill him... On his body we found 6 Stone to Flesh scrolls... and truth to be said we planed to keep Helm of Balduran anyway, so...:blush:
P.S. As it seems we are now can't get Cloak of Balduran (sigh)... Without Degrodel we didn't have quest for helm, so even when we de-stoned statue in the house of Felonius Gist he doesn't tell us about Quenash and the Cloak. And I definitely don't want to risk trying rob her in no-reload...or I want? Weeell I'll get some potions... and then..<_<. /Better to do something and regreat, then regreat for doing nothing../
EDIT: Yea, we've done it! Coran used potions of mind focusing, perception, thievelry - 115. Cast Luck on him and ... voila

Edited by Serg BlackStrider, 16 July 2010 - 01:59 PM.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
Bipp the gnomish cleric/thief entering challenge:

Dennen was killed by Rayic Getheras in BG 2, so am entering challenge with Bipp. Posted Image

Still very early, we got to Nashkel and picked up the Ankheg armor. The party is going to be small so Bipp can level faster, composed of Ajantis, Imoen (dualed to a mage) and of course Bipp. Talking to that annoying Noober made Bipp and Ajantis level. Guess what they say is true, whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger...

G_Admiral_Thrawn

G_Admiral_Thrawn
  • Members
  • 180 posts
question. why 17 wis and 18 str? isn't wisdom more important for a cleric/thief than strength?

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
In Vanilla BG 1 the only race that can even be a cleric/thief are gnomes. Gnomes get a bonus to to intelligence but a penalty to Wisdom, hence 17 is as high the game would allow me to roll, I certainly would have put more points in it if I could. And as for the 18 strength, I am looking ahead. For one, most NPCs in BG 1 are pretty weak, aside from Minsc and Shar-Teel, so being strong myself will help the looting. Secondly in BG 2 lot of restrictions on armor/weapons based on strength, so high strength will help with that (15 strength required to wear full plate for example). And last but not least, the strength will help my backstab damage.

Edited by corey_russell, 15 July 2010 - 08:19 PM.

• Grimwald the Wise likes this

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
Bipp the cleric/thief update 1: Exploring the sword coast

So Bipp, Ajantis and Imoen continue to explore the sword coast. Never used a 3 man party before, the dynamics are interesting. Some key events/choices along the way:

* ring of wizardry (Friendly Arm) - thought hard about this, the 9000 gold could sure come in handy. However, decided that with a small group more spell slots would mean more offense/defense so opted to give to Imoen (who had earlier dualed to mage). This turned out to be important later as her sleeps & blinds were critical

* On the way to Gnoll Fortress to get the dexterity gauntlets for Ajantis, Ajantis got killed by an Ogre Berserker. This was really bad news as Imoen was out of spells due to ambushes on the way to this area (ogres/goblin area north of gnoll fortress). It took three charges of frost wand to kill him. We were this close, Bipp and Imoen went to Gnoll Fortress to get those gauntlets for Ajantis. The group was successful.

* On the way BACK from the gnoll fortress got waylaid by both a winter wolf and a cave bear, Ajantis is still dead. Fortunately Bipp had the foresight to equip Ajantis armor until we could revive him. He tanked the wolf, the bear was missing. The moment the winter wolf died the bear got a good hit in. Imoen was firing arrows with her bow, then Bipp ran away and would fire a shot from his sling, run, sling, run etc. until the bear died. We got to the temple and were happy to get Ajantis back.

* Graywolf - was quite difficult for the party. Despite successfully blinding him, when the whole party attacked with ranged, we all missed a ton. Not sure why we are missing so much, the guy is only wearing studded leather. I send in Ajantis and Bipp stays close to Ajantis to be quick with heals, and finally Graywolf goes down. Ajantis of course became the new owner of Graywolf's sword.

* For ambushes, Imoen's sleep spell has been vital. However we ran into one ambush that sleep wasn't going to help, the 15 bandit archers. Imoen was killed in like 3 seconds. Ajantis and Bipp charge the archers with their melee weapons. Both Ajantis and Bipp had to gulp quite a number of heal potions, but were victorious. We went to a temple and raised Imoen.

* Bassilus - Just to be safe, I waited until Bipp had access to level 2 cleric spells. Then we attacked him. Bassilus was blinded, resisted the first hold, but then the 2nd hold got him. Bassilus weapon is now Bipp's primary melee weapon if Bipp isn't backstabbing.

Party Status:
Ajantis - character sheet:
Posted Image

Ajantis Info:
Posted Image

Bipp - character sheet
Posted Image

Bipp Info:
Posted Image

Imoen character sheet:
Posted Image

Imoen Info:
Posted Image

Edited by corey_russell, 17 July 2010 - 03:48 AM.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
Bipp the Cleric/Thief Update 2:

So Ajantis, Bipp and Imoen continue to explore the sword coast. We were finally able to buy Ajantis the full plate and Bipp got to use the Ankheg armor when not needing his thief skills or if waylay possible.

They cleared the mines very easily. Mulahey got held Posted Image which spelled the end for him and his minions. I did NOT fight the Amazons right away, I have a lot of respect for them since they have ended two no-reload runs of mine previously.

I decided I wanted animate dead available before I fight the Amazons. So the group did the quests on the Ankheg map. We also badly needed gold for Imoen's Robe of the Good Arch Magi. But we could only carry one Ankheg shell at a time. We need a pack rat.

Therefore, we drafted Minsc into the party. We freed Dynaheir, and then let her rest in a house in Nashkel and removed her from the party. Minsc didn't complain since Dynaheir is safe. So we then kill quite a few Ankhegs and at 3 Ankhegs at a time went from 5000 gold to 18000 gold, and got Imoen's robe for her. Minsc was such a productive member of the party, we decided we would let him stay. Our potions/scrolls are starting to add up, so his extra looting space will be quite helpful. Four man party still better experience gain than six.

Minsc isn't a very good tank without the dexterity gauntlets but Ajantis is using them. So instead set him up to be primarily archer and just a backup tank. So as such we went and got a few items for him. Got him the two-hand sword +1 from that ogre bandit leader NE of Nashkel, and also the bracers of archery from Vax and Val.

During this process everyone got to level 5. Now was a good time for the Amazon assassins. Bipp approached them while under sanctuary, then moved so he was just out of visual range (though still invisible). Imoen fired off two shots from her fire wand, fireball setting. I could not have gotten a better result: Posted Image> We clear the rest of the map and Ajantis gets to level 6 but only got 3 HP on level-up.

The party goes to the bandit camp. Was very smooth, no problems at all. Poor Khosann was killed by Imoen while she was out of sight with her fireball wand. We got the full plate for Minsc and also the longbow of marksmanship. Only two deaths this entire run, and no chunked NPCs am happy with our adventure so far.

Party status:

Ajantis Character Sheet:
Posted Image

Ajantis Info:
Posted Image

Minsc Character Sheet:
Posted Image

Minsc Info:
Posted Image

Bipp Character Sheet:
Posted Image

Bipp Info:
Posted Image

Imoen Character Sheet:
Posted Image

Imoen Info:
Posted Image

Edited by corey_russell, 17 July 2010 - 10:21 PM.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
Bipp the Cleric/Thief: Much (though not all) of the Sword Coast explored

Bipp's party has been exploring all the areas starting from Nashkel east & west and moving up that way. Since Minsc's joining of the party, most battles have been really smooth, but there were a few noted exceptions. Been using a lot more of the fire wands in this small party, but might as well since most games I have tons of unused fire wands by the end of the game.

The first battle of interest was the battle against the bandits in the Drizzt Area. We saw them from a distance and stayed back to let Imoen fire a shot from her fire wand to good effect:

Posted Image

The melee approaches the party. Imoen fires a shot from the fire wand what she thinks is inbetween the bandit melee and bandit archer and mage, but no hurting her party. Well she was wrong and hurt Bipp:

Posted Image

However the party kept at it and defeated the bandits without losing anyone. Using fireballs can be tricky sometimes...

The other battle of interest was the Thalantyr Golems. I usually only send melees in and keep the rest of the party out. But I had to sell so whole party was in the "store". Ajantis, who has the best AC vs. blunt weapons attacked a golem, but the golem did NOT go after Ajantis and instead came after Minsc. Minsc had to tank with his -1 AC. He had to gulp heal potions like mad and Bipp was healing as fast as he could. We did finally take down one golem, but not before the other one smacked Imoen. Don't want her chunked so had leave the "store" (Note: do NOT use BG 2 engine so no chance of her being followed). Then Bipp got hit. He left the "store" as well. Minsc is near death here and runs for his life. Ajantis finally enters the mix, and then Minsc supports with a bow and the party finally got success. Note that the damage that Bipp and Imoen have are ONE hit each.

Posted Image

Lot of experience so party got a number of levels from last you all heard from Bipp:

Ajantis Character Sheet:

Posted Image

Minsc Character Sheet:

Posted Image

Bipp Character Sheet:

Posted Image

Imoen Character Sheet:

Posted Image

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
Bipp the cleric/thief update 4: Key Sword Coast Battles and Cloakwood forest/mines

Sword Coast pretty much explored, keeping a few areas unexplored on purpose in case I need experience for any new recruits, which won't be happening soon unless someone gets chunked. Some battles of note:

Kahrk Battle Preparation: This guy in Firewine Bridge Ruins area has ended one of my previous runs. I did not take him for granted. My preparation was no buffs, but summoning an army to assist, as you can see:
Posted Image

Now for the battle itself:
Posted Image

It took a while to take him down, but Kahrk never had the party in danger.

The party explored Gullyking, and when we did we met some assassins led by someone named Molkar. We had summoned 12 skeletons before meeting him. Bipp was sanctuaried yet somehow Molkar was able to talk to Bipp. Bipp cast silence, hold person, and a fear wand shot. Imoen fired off a horror and some blinds. Was interesting battle as you can see here, Ajantis even got feared:
Posted Image

However, the party was victorious, the ranged power of Bipp's party was just too much for Molkar's party to handle while being harrassed by skeletons.

CLOAKWOOD:
When my characters deal with Centeol and her spider pets, we usually use fireball(s). However, when I do that then the sword spider gets close and often mauls a caster. Seeing that Bipp is a caster I certainly did not want that. Therefore, Ajantis charged the sword spider, Bipp cast a squad of skeletons on the party's left side, Imoen cast via summoning wand some gnolls on the left side, and the battle commenced. Ajantis did take some damage, but Imoen kept spamming the paralyze wand on the sword spider and it finally took:

Posted Image

After the sword spider fell, still lasted a little while, but the battle was basically just clean up. The party cleaned out a shadow druid infestation. We sided with Aldeth Shashenstar and got the animal charm ring. For the first time ever, I actually used it a number of times, not that it was very important (e.g. would have won even if I didn't use it). For the wyven cave, Bipp cast a squad of skeletons, used the fear wand (using it up), and Imoen cast horror. After that we could safely take down the wyverns one by one. Even found a replacement fear wand.

In the next area with the hamadryad, I did something different (for me). I had Bipp stealth and find the hamadryad. He opened with a backstab which killed her:
Posted Image

I think that was pretty good, considering Bipps backstab weapon is a non-magical club. This is the only weapon he can use to backstab and still keep a large shield equipped. This was also the first backstab for Bipp in the GAME. Up to this point, the only enemies worth backstabbing have too many friends which made it too dangerous for me in a no-reload. The vast majority of enemies are dealt with just fine with Ajantis and everyone else range attacking.

DRASSUS and COMPANY:
We had a nice battle royale. The battle ranged for a whie but the party was never in serious danger. Ajantis got feared, but had no bearing on the the final result:
Posted Image

We keep at it. We cast horror ourselves, but even with everyone attacking with range, still took a while to take them down but we did:
Posted Image

In the mine we met a fighter/cleric dwarf named Yeslick. We need help looting all this junk, so we had him stay and help until Daveorn was defeated and we returned to Beregost.

Next battle of interest was against Natasha the mage holed in her room with her goblin friends. Ajantis (wearing the boots of speed) showed himself and fired a shot from his necklace of missiles then backed to the party. This killed the goblins, Natasha showed herself in the hallway and everyone unloaded on her. She died almost immediately, but not before she did this:
Posted Image

She shot a lightning bolt at Ajantis. Fortuantely was at an angle, could have been bad if it went straight down the hall where the rest of the party was. I was wondering just how close to death did Ajantis get to?
Posted Image

Yep he had ONE Hit point. We healed him right away. Despite having a near death experience, we had more work for Ajantis. We had him gulp a magic blocking potion and try to solo an Ogre Mage. Despite 50% magic resistance and reasonable saves, Ajantis got feared. So Bipp stealthed and saved Ajantis with a backstab:
Posted Image

Daveorn battle:
I didn't get time to gulp any potions for my fighters (Yeslick/Ajantis), so they took a beating from Daveorn's lightning bolt. However they just stopped to gulp some heal potions and the party and a squad of skeletons continue pursueing Daveorn. Bipp stayed hidden in the shadows as backup, but he wasn't needed. Suppose was only fitting Ajantis got the killing blow after taking so much damage from Daveorn's lightning bolt.

The party is level 7 now, except Imoen is level 8. Yeslick is hanging out in Beregost. We hear the Iron Throne is based in the City of Baldur's Gate, we will explore that next.

Edited by corey_russell, 19 July 2010 - 12:04 AM.

WizWom

WizWom
  • Members
  • 3 posts
 After a minor waffle, I decided to repost all of my no-reload run so far.  Since this is a new forum, and the old Bioware forums are supposed to die yesterday.

BGTutu, BG1NPC project, Jonathan NPC, and widescreen mod

Vardinal's tale
In the early part of 1369, an elven youth raised at Candlekeep did try to escape assasins, sent by an unknown agent. Instead, he and his foster father met an ambush just a few hours out from the Oghman keep.  Bravely did Gorion stand, that the youth might flee, and paid with his life for that of his son not of his blood.
The young lass Imoen found him in the morning, and they did set off, after burying the scholar.  Meeting the traveling pair of Xzar and Montaron, they then did head south.  There, not far from High Hedge, did they meet Kivan, who had a tale of great sorrow to tell, and a mission of blood debt.  The group did then move to Beregost, where Xzar and Montaron were told to go their way, having evinced characteristics unbecoming of men of good will.
Vardinal, however, unbeknowst to his companions, did engage in petty burglary, in order to gain funds and equiptment for the trials ahead.
Vardinal did have the following statistics, as reckoned by the great sage Gygax, who dwelt beside Lake Geneva:Strength of 18, Dexterity of 19, Constitution of 16, Intelligence of 18, Wisdom of 9, and Charisma of 18.Such statistics as befit a hero of great pussiance, and true ability.  In keeping with this, Vardinal didst study Long Sword and Short bow, and focused his efforts upon the skill of lockpicking.
§
The innkeep Feldpost, a man of fair visage and good cheer, does entertain the youth, and in the morn a pussiant half-elf hight Jonathan does entreat the sorely tried young Vindilar to bring him along for protection.  Vardinal agreed, and the group set forth to the south.  Whilst beset by hobgoblins, with Kivan in the fray, ghasts do arrive, and wound Kivan greivously.  The foul poison on their claws paralyzes the elf, and before Jonathan and Vindilar can drag him to safety, he is slain.  The despondent party slays the undead and demi-humans, and makes their way back to the temple, where Kivan's spirit is brought back to his mended body.
In Beregost, the dwarf Kagain does hire the crew to search for the caravan that should have replenished his stock.  Find it they do, looted by bandits, and with Entar Silvershield's son dead.  Kagain is beset with fear for his life, and the party promises to stick by him and tell the tale true.  They then face a dread ogre, maddened by her search for belts, slaying it and being amazed as it turns to male before their eyes.
The Freindly Arm Inn is fraught with danger for the young mage, but the assassin mage dies, a pincusion for arrows.  Kagain takes his leave, as Khalid and Jaheira join the intrepid youth.  They do a good deed in returning Joia's ring, and head south to examine the troubles at Nashkell, in Amn.  The Carnival is their first stop, and they save Bentha from the evil mage Zordral.  Then the group enjoys the spectacle of the Amazing Oompah, who turns hostile and must be killed.
Exploring the environs of Nashkel, Khalid trips over something that turns out to be a suit of ankheg plate armor, which Kivan dons immediately.  Growing weary, the adventurers go to the inn, where Neira attacks them, attempting to collect a bounty.  After dispatching her, they rest, certain the next day will bring more danger.
The next day, the intrepid Vardinal assailed the area around the mines, finding the great sculptor Prism.  Defending him so he can finish his work, the legendary Greywolf fell to hubris.  The temple healed Kivan's wounds, and off they set to examine the mines.  Two levels cleared, and half of a third, when the party did retreat for safety's sake.
§
Vardinal and company did then, after resting, assail the remainder of the mine, and clear it of nefarious denizens.  Exiting through a tunnel, they found themselves confronted with a full party of bounty hunters, led by one Lamalha.  The cold-hearted lass did die, with Imoen's blade sunk into her back.
Further exploring the area, whilst battling some skeletons, a mage did accost them, and descibe his great reasearches.  He was insane, though, and attacked the group.  Vardinal used his wand of ice and necklace of missiles, vanquishing the mage, but the mustard jellies he had summoned claimed the lives of Khalid and Jonathan.  Since the magical blade Vascona was all they had that could harm them, Vardinal stepped to the fray and finished the job.
Retreat to the Temple of Helm was in order, and both elves were raised again to fight for right.  On the way, they did report their success to Berrun Ghastkill, and earn the acclaim of all Nashkel.  On the way to the store, Nimbul the bounty hunter does accost them, but he falls to traps that Vardinal and Jonathan had set in case of trouble.
Proceeding to the carnival again, they do return to flesh the warrior maid Branwen, who was, it seems, turned to stone by the very Tranzig, spoken of in documents in the nefarious Mulahey's possession.  The plot thickens, but Khalid and Jaheira do take their leave, claiming the group has grown too large for their comfort.  Vardinal spent most of the accumulated funds having the necklace of missiles recharged.  Vardinal did dream of Gorion when at the inn, and gained a miraculous power, much to his confusion.
§
I should note at this point that I'm running a few trial modifications I haven't gotten ready for release:
  •  all healing spells are random amounts, as per Pen & Paper
  •  Armor slows people, as per PnP - Plate & Scale to 1/2; Chain to 3/4
So far:
Vardinal: 4487xp Mage 2/Thief 3 HP:13 31% of kills, best: Mustard Jelly
Kivan: 9892xp Ranger 4 HP:31 32% of kills, best: Mustard Jelly
Imoen: 7902xp Thief 4 HP:29 20% of Kills, best: Lamalha
Jonathan: 2470xp Fighter 2/Mage 1/Thief 2 HP:9 15% of kills, best: Mulahey
Branwen: 1589xp Cleric 2 HP:17, 0% of kills
BTW, Khalid was at 3979 xp, fighter 2; Jaheira at 9138 xp, Fighter 3/Druid 3; Kagain at 472 xp, Fighter 1
§
Siezing the initiative, Vardinal immediately heads to Beregost, and confronts Tranzig.  He battles fiercly, casting spells, but falls to the combined attack of the party.  Branwen avenged, they begin to search Larswood and Peldvale in the Wood of Sharp Teeth.  An evil Shadow Druid, though, summoned cave bears, which kill Jonathan.  The party then retreated to the Friendly Arm Inn, to heal and rest.
In the Peldvale, they do meet a bandit leader, and Vardinal does convince him recruitment is a good choice.  They are interviewed by Tazok, the Ogre, who was in charge, and convinced even he that recruitment was sound.  And then Kivan did challenge him, speaking of his dead wife, and Tazok did attack.  After much violence, the party did dispatch Tazok, and examined some of the environs around the camp.  Sorely wounded, they did retreat to the Inn.
After the rest, the intrepid heroes did lay waste to the bandit camp, slaughtering all there - the bandits asked no quarter, and none was given.  victorius, bruised and bloodied, they did discover papers indicating daveorn, in a base in the cloakwood, was behind the assassins and the bandits.  A council was held at the Friendly Arm Inn, whereat it was decided that Kivan, who had his revenge, would part company for a time, and the balance of the group would mop up what bandits remained outside cloakwood before venturing into that spider infested trap.  Jonathan, though not hardy, will take the armor of a fighter of pussiance: full plate, and a magical shield.
I'm not so sure using Jonathan to tank will be a good idea... he's sort of low on HP.  We'll see.

Edited by WizWom, 20 July 2010 - 05:49 AM.

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,558 posts
Update of BlackStrider's & Co adventures.
Party finished all possible BG City tasks. For the battle on top of Iron Throne tower we used Fairy Dragon's Invisibility 10' and moved to the bottom room of 5th floor. There we buffed a little (resist fear, prot from evil, shield). Then Jaheira used Greenstone Amulet, Potion of Free Action, Potion of Fire Resistance (so her fire res is 110 with ring and helm of defence). Viconia opened the battle by summoning skeletons but were spotted by enemies and got two flame strikes. First was magic-resisted but second shoved off half of her hitpoints... She retreated, Jaheira charged, BlackStrider hit Web and then both he and Imoen started spamming fireballs. Everything goes quite smooth, Jaheira resisted almost all enemies spells (horror, confusion etc.) except melf's acid arrows but then Alai hit with magic missiles and hurts her quite badly. She quickly advanced and finished him  The rest of battle was without incidents Click Here Click Here Click Here

Party reported to Duke Eltan and were sent back to the Candlekeep. There me met Koveras (didn't took his ring) and Iron Throne leaders (didn't fought them) but even so were arrested for killing the leaders of the Iron Throne. Then Tethtoril appeared and teleported us to the Candlekeep Catacombs. We cleared them all without issues. Prat's party was soloed by BlackStrider, buffed with potion of absorbtion, minor globe of invulnerability and shield. He hit Web and then couple of fireballs. Prat survived a little longer then his comrades and hit ligtning bolt but that was pure agony, without too much mess for us.
Now we plan to visit Ice Island and then Durlag's Tower awaits us.

Edited by Serg BlackStrider, 20 July 2010 - 12:41 PM.

Valente11

Valente11
  • Members
  • 125 posts
Alas, after over a decade of playing Baldur's Gate repeatedly, I finally attempt my first no-reload challenge! Needless to say I'm very excited, I've spent the past few days thinking up which class I would be most comfortable with on my journey and, finally, I am ready.

A quick note: For some reason, I'm unable to capture screenshots from my playthrough, as soon as I figure out why I'll add them in; until then we'll have to do without.

Specifications: Vanilla BG(for nostalgia's sake), no mods.

PC:
Evanui Jen'dyr
Female Human
Thief (dual-class to Cleric)

Stats:
Str 16
Dex 17
Con 14
Wis 18
Cha 12

Proficiencies: Short Sword *
Missile Weapons *

*Notes: Well, I've decided to come up with a certain rp style class that I haven't done before. I was inspired by the "nightstalker" class from a past MMO I played called Shadowbane. The class is that of a holy rogue that specializes in the hunting of undead. She'll use a crossbow(Van helsing style :P) and either a staff or club(I'm unsure if a dual class cleric/thief can use daggers). I'm not as experienced in dual-classing so let's hope I've organized my stats correctly.

*Gameplay notes: It's worth noting that I do not like to play as a min/maxer, and therefore only rolled 3 times before I settled on my stats. I'm aware that my class won't be the greatest but that's what makes it fun :) I'll also be self imposing some restrictions as far as gameplay goes they are the following:
No sleep spell- frankly I'm rather bored of the "sleep + barrage arrows" strategy for the early game. It's time to change my strategy!
No reliance on archers- My only archer will be either Imoen or Coran, again, this is because I've already exhausted my patience for a party of ranged death.
no cheese- this will be the hardest to stick to, but seeing as I've already forbidden myself the use of my favortie strategy, I'll have to come up with other ways to win, and am unfamiliar with most standard "cheese" tactics anyway.

well that's it! I'll be starting my adventure soon, and hopefully it ends in victory! If not, well, I'm not one to get easily discouraged. Wish me luck, I'll post an update soon.

~Valente

Edited by Valente11, 20 July 2010 - 07:03 PM.

• Grimwald the Wise likes this

wise grimwald

wise grimwald
  • Members
  • 327 posts
To capture screenshots, press the Print Screen button on your keyboard.

Open Paint or similar software.

Paste and save.

Then send it to Photoshop or similar image hosting site. Paste the link here as per advice above.