Baldur's Gate 2 No-Reload Challenge

• Please log in to reply
15228 replies to this topic

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,558 posts
 @Alesia
Definitely agree :) Luckily I've managed to read your *unedited* post before it *fell in oblivion* - it was fun! :happy:
 Now, back to the topic - BlackStrider feels good. I'll post of his adventures soon.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts
Quick Note on Ashoka's Game:

3 Down.
Posted Image

Very nearly got the 2 round Kachiko kill. A knock-back, and a timely Dimension Door-> Time Stop from the Lieutenant Mage saved him. Ultimately, it was Arrows of Ice and Ice Star/Defender that dropped him.

I'll post a full report soon.

Best,

A.

Vaclavc

Vaclavc
  • Members
  • 179 posts

Alesia_BH wrote...
I'll post a full report soon.

Looking forward to it. I must say I immensely enjoy reading about Ashoka's adventures.
V

Wierdo

Wierdo
  • Members
  • 392 posts
@Alesia

Congratulations of completing the Fire Giant Hall and the siege camp! Also, looks like you encountered some real-life fell cats! Look out for liches ...

Wierdo

Wierdo
  • Members
  • 392 posts
Wierdo's Bhaalspawn Bretheren

Hall of the Fire Giant King

With Ashoka having gotten as far as she has, it is overdue for me to report on Wierdo's progress.

Wierdo and the other bretheren pre-buffed in the pocket plane, beamed down to the front doors of the Fire Hall. They penetrated Yaga Shura's enclave in search of giants to play with, and were not disappointed!

Posted Image

The fight picked up and was a lot of fun, especially once a few summonses were in place. Mazzy got to run around the giants' legs while chopping off bits they weren't going to need anymore. Annakin took it as an opportunity to bump up his hit points with Vampiric Touch.

Posted Image

Mazzy used her Wave halberd to good effect. Insta-kills on Fire Salamanders, elementals, burning men (no burning women?) all fell in an instant to this weapon.

Posted Image

Next: Bruce bites lava

Wierdo

Wierdo
  • Members
  • 392 posts

The Fire Lich and the Monk

Today was a sad day because Bruce got killed <sniff>.

Continuing through the Fire Giants Hall, Bruce and Wierdo led the way scouting. Imagine their surprise when they encountered a Fire Lich and his friends! No, was not expecting this.

Posted Image

While the rest of the party swarmed into the room, Bruce positioned himself to do a Solar Stance and thereby throw the enemies into confusion as everyone else gets into attack position. However, things didn't go quite according to plan for Bruce. The following events happenned in just a few moments.

The Fire Lich must have used a Contingency spell to launch Dispel Magic on Bruce. Normally thing wouldn't worry a monk like Bruce much, except he lost his Protection From Fire and look where he is standing ...

Posted Image

No matter, Bruce only needs a moment to launch his Solar Stance and then run.

Posted Image

However, how do you run when caught in a Time Stop! Unluckily, Bruce had no Time Stop protection active at that moment.

Posted Image

Not good, getting caught standing on lava while in a Time Stop. Lava stops for no man and certainly not for Time Stop, it seems. Bruce went from perfectly healthy to dead *just like that*.

Posted Image

Never mind. The rest of the party finished off the Fire Lich in due course.

Wierdo then tried using the Rod of Resurrection on Bruce ... only to have him immediately die on the lava, before the party could move or for the heal to kick in! A second attempt using Jaheira's Harper's Call was more effective, but possibly because of adorning Bruce with every piece of fire protection gear that could be found.

Next: Brimstone

Edited by Wierdo, 01 November 2011 - 04:44 PM.

Wierdo

Wierdo
  • Members
  • 392 posts

Brimstone

Wierdo's band rested before pushing onto the high reaches of the Fire Giant Hall. Good thing too.

The party went left and encountered Imix, the fire elemental prince Mazzy tried out her Wave halberd on him. Poof, no more prince. The burning men and other elementals fell quickly as well.

Watch for traps ...

On entering the main hall, the group got a surprise. They were expecting lots of fire giants, but not a DRAGON! Time to change underwear ...

Posted Image

Now this is what  icall a fun fight! Lots of fire giants and a dragon as well!

Posted Image

In battles between fire giants and devas, giants win. Mind you, there were a lot of giants.

Note how Wierdo and Annakin are using the pillars to create a barrier and hiding place from Brimstone's attentions. It really pays to use whatever cover you find.

Posted Image

Brimstone let loose with his breath, but note that Wierdo is actually out of its area of effect because of the pillar she is next to. She kept ducking behind this pillar after casting spells etc., and found it a handy position to snipe from with her bow.

Posted Image

Wierdo stepped out to backstab Berenn the Fire Giant Cleric with her Staff of the Magi, which interrupted his spell and dispelled his buffs (including the Globe of Blades).

Posted Image

Eventually the dragon fell, amid many interesting spell effects. Berenn fell soon after.

Posted Image

Then the party went over to talk to the slave woman ... and then the game crashed! Oh great. Never mind. They went and killed the dragon again, although it was much easier with the recent experience and some better preparation. Below is a screenshot of the second Brimstone death that I just had to share with you:

It is such a nice shot, lots of colours. There is an Abbi Dalzim's Horrid Wilting, an insect plague and Storm of Vengeance in addition to Globes of Blades, Fire Shield (cold) and all captured at Brimstone's moment of death .... 

Posted Image

Next: Yaga-Shura dies

Edited by Wierdo, 01 November 2011 - 10:29 PM.

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,558 posts

Wierdo wrote...

Wierdo stepped out to backstab Berenn the Fire Giant Cleric with her Staff of the Magi, which interrupted his spell and dispelled his buffs (including the Globe of Blades).

Posted Image

AFAIK, Staff of the Magi isn't suitable for backstab in vanilla... What may change that in your setup?

And yes - impressive fight! :happy:

Edited by Serg BlackStrider, 01 November 2011 - 07:45 PM.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts
Nice work Wierdo! I'm jealous of your Berenn/Brimstone fight- that looked like a good time. (Ashoka completely botched hers. She ended up getting forced to using the doorway(*). Effective, but un-fun.)

I also love the high-res/wide angle shots and full animations for that battle. 

Looking forward to the Yaga fight!

Best,

A.

Btw/ Ashoka got 1 Brimstone as well. Perhaps there is an average level based trigger on the second?

Edited by Alesia_BH, 01 November 2011 - 07:33 PM.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts
 Ashoka v. Yaga-Shura (or Just Another Friday Night)

Kachiko's Wakizashi was Ashoka's first high value weapon purchase. The blade was her constat companion throughout Chapters 2/3 and she thoroughly enjoyed using it.

The blade did see a lot of early use, but it was essentially purchased for this very moment: the fight against Yaga-Shura. After all the waiting -and after all the practice Wisdom draining Giants to death in the Temple- there was a lot building up to this moment. The result?

No-go. It wasn't meant to be. Nothing special here- just another Friday night.

Ok. Let's start this party!

Ashoka arrived and paid a visit to the host, Yaga-Shura. He was pretty chill at first, but then he noticed his buds had scarfed all the pizza. He left to get more.
Posted Image

Ok. Not too hard to work out the appropriate tactics at this stage- it's common sense really.

You are at a party, you've showed up alone, and the guy who invited you has bailed. You are surrounded by losers. What do you do?

Hang out in the corner and get drunk right? That's exactly what Ashoka did. And once she was toasted, she spent sometime looking for squirrels. I mean, you'd do the same right? (No squirrels, btw.)

New guest now.

"Hey, I know her. That's Yaga's girlfriend. He must be back with the pizzas."
Posted Image

Yaga opened the box. They got his order wrong. He fracking hates anchovies.
Posted Image

"Dude. It's not that bad, chill out. Let me get you something."
Posted Image
Posted Image

Ok. So you've got some alone time with a guy. You are making progress. He's given you a little brush-off, but you can tell things are going right still (NW: Simmy Ashoka got his Wisdom down to 3 in one round despite a knock-back on Ashoka).

What happens next?

Exactly. His girlfriend comes out of nowhere, stops time, goes ballistics, and then turns her witchy-skank friends against you.
Posted Image
Posted Image

What do you do then?

Right: kill her friends. She'll probably leave you alone after that. Common sense.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Everyting thing went smooth once the girlfriend was out of the picture- just as it always does.
Posted Image
Posted Image

(Btw.I have to say the most horrifying thing about the whole Bhaalspawn saga is Fire Giant fashion. Shudder.  They do look cute when they are taking their little nappy-naps don't they though?) 

Fin.

On to Amkethran.

A.

@V and Weirdo. Thanks for yor comments! This has been a fun run. I believe it was Amanasleep who suggested a Stalker? Gratzi. 

Edited by Alesia_BH, 01 November 2011 - 09:40 PM.

Wierdo

Wierdo
  • Members
  • 392 posts

Serg BlackStrider wrote...

Wierdo wrote...

Posted Image

AFAIK, Staff of the Magi isn't suitable for backstab in vanilla... What may change that in your setup?

And yes - impressive fight! :happy:

Yes, I've heard that from various sources but can't confirm it. It has been so long since I have played vanilla.

I simply tried using the SotM for backstabs and it worked. I'm not sure if a mod makes this so, or which mod it might be. Although the SotM is only usable by 'mages', thieves should be able to use staves for backstab, so to my mind it could be considered a 'fix'. But I don't want to go there.

In addition to the usual SCSII, Ascension, BG2Fixpack etc I have Rogues Rebalancing, Item Upgrade (SOA & TOB), BG2Tweaks,  D0Tweaks (inc. Weapon enhancements), ATweaks ... but not sure what might be relevant here.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
In vanilla, only thief usable weapons will backstab. As the SotM is mage only, it doesn't backstab in vanilla. I got the Sotm one time for a thief/mage I had, and tried to backstab with it, but it would always fail, but a thief-usable staff would work.

Wierdo

Wierdo
  • Members
  • 392 posts
I'm just glad that it does work :>

Wierdo

Wierdo
  • Members
  • 392 posts
I think that it is a component from Leve1NPCs. From the readme:

"Allow backstab with any weapon a mage/thief, fighter/thief or cleric/thief can use. Backstabbing with a two-handed sword shouldn't be less effective than backstabbing with a quarterstaff, yes?"

Agreed.

I recall that I chose to install this, and kept staves & two-handed weapons as usable for backstab (and so they should be IMHO).

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts
 Quick Note on Ashoka's Game:

Ashoka is currently en route to Amkethran followed by Abazigal's Lair.

I typically do Sendai first, but I expect Tougher Abazigal to be Ashoka's biggest hurdle and I don't want to waste time with Sendai if the dragons are going to be the end of her.

I'd feel noticeably more confident if she had the Mana Bow. I really shouldn't have neglected to pick that up with a Ranger. It was laziness pure and simple. Hopefully, it won't get her killed.

I'll let you know when she reaches Abby's inner sanctum. 

Ashoka's current character record and inventory.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Best,

A.

Edit: Change of plans. She should really have the Amulet of Cheetah Speed before messing with Abazigal and Tamah. It will be Sendai first.

Edited by Alesia_BH, 02 November 2011 - 03:55 AM.

Wierdo

Wierdo
  • Members
  • 392 posts
Aren't you going via the Oasis?

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts
Yeah. Despite the devilish, out of character post on the Yaga fight, Ashoka has no desire to kill an army of goodness. She regretfully relieved Janis of The Answerer, equipped The Reflex, and moved on.

She's in Amkethran now.

Where is Weirdo these days?

Edited by Alesia_BH, 02 November 2011 - 06:35 AM.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
Vessen the level 8 cleric entering BG 2 Portion of a Trilogy No-Reload

Vessen and friends have just taken down Sarevok and are continuing their saga in Amn. For stats and such see my post with final stats in the BG 1 No-Reload thread. I did elect to kit a few imports (my party was all created via multi-player) and decline others, the final result:

Vessen - level 8 cleric of lothander
Lily - Level 9 blade
Paja - level 10 druid
Joshua - level 7 inquisitor
Hanna - level 8 fighter (she duals to mage at 9)
Uriah - level 7 mage/level 7 thief

@Alesia: I know I said i would install some of those mods, but apparently I still haven't mastered vanilla BG 2 yet since Veene failed to survive SoA.

Setup:
Vanilla BG 2
Throne of Bhaal expansion
Official ToB patch
Core rules at all times, including spell scribing and level ups
"Gore" on - my party members can be chunked

The party is currently collecting their wits in the bowels of Irenicus dungeon...

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

corey_russell wrote...

@Alesia: I know I said i would install some of those mods, but apparently I still haven't mastered vanilla BG 2 yet since Veene failed to survive SoA.

Makes sense. Best of luck!

A.

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,558 posts
Congrats on beating down Sarevok, Corey! And best of luck in Amn :)

Edited by Serg BlackStrider, 02 November 2011 - 07:11 AM.

The Potty 1

The Potty 1
  • Members
  • 476 posts

Alesia_BH wrote...

Btw/ Ashoka got 1 Brimstone as well. Perhaps there is an average level based trigger on the second?

Only time I did SCS2 marching mountains I got 3 brimstones.  Wow did my eyes bug out :o:blink:

Wierdo

Wierdo
  • Members
  • 392 posts

Alesia_BH wrote...

Yeah. Despite the devilish, out of character post on the Yaga fight, Ashoka has no desire to kill an army of goodness. She regretfully relieved Janis of The Answerer, equipped The Reflex, and moved on.

She's in Amkethran now.

Where is Weirdo these days?

Wierdo just finished defeating that 'army of goodness' and is now on her way to Amkethran.

She answered all of Tombie's questions in character but maybe with a bit of frustration as well. Oh well, now the party has some loot to sell ($$ are scarce in my game).

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

Wierdo wrote...

Wierdo just finished defeating that 'army of goodness' and is now on her way to Amkethran.

Got it. While Ashoka let that crew off the hook, she showed no mercy in Amkethran...
Posted Image

Is Wiedro going to do Abazigal or Sendai first?

Best,

A.

Btw. I changed my mind again and sent Ashoka over to Abazigal's lair. Draconis is down. I'll post on that fight relatively soon. 

Wierdo

Wierdo
  • Members
  • 392 posts

Alesia_BH wrote...

Is Wiedro going to do Abazigal or Sendai first?

Btw. I changed my mind again and sent Ashoka over to Abazigal's lair. Draconis is down. I'll post on that fight relatively soon. 

Wierdo hasn't made up her mind yet. Her chaotic good nature is chaffing about how Melissan seems to be telling her what to do, and the recent apparently unavoidable battle with that lawful-goody Janis and his army at the Oasis.

But probably Sendai. Draconis is pretty scary. Well done on defeating him.

None of this bodes well for Balthazar (LG) I'm afraid. In any case, Wierdo already has her favourite monk (Bruce) right by her side already.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts
 Ashoka v. Draconis (or Two Shakes of a Lamb's Tail)

The fight against Draconis was -for all intents and purposes- over before it started. Like Niz, Draconis had very few promising tactical avenues against a bow wielder. And while it may have taken awhile for him to fall, the battle was essentially over in two shakes of a lambs tail. 

I can post a complete report if people are interested. However, I think some may appreciate a stripped down post which highlights the tactical essentials. This will cover the opening to the point where Draconis should have surrendered.

First, here's the invenory. I should note that this was taken in the human form phase. The Lavender Ioun Stone was exchanged for Roranach's Horn once Wing Buffett was in play. 
Posted Image

Ok. Time to shake that lamb's tail.

Draconis: Dragon Fear, Ashoka: equips Dragon Slayer. Applies Oil of Speed.
Posted Image

Draconis: Remove Magic Sequencer; Ashoka- Runs out of AoE, Applies Protection from Acid Scroll
Posted Image

Draconis: Magic Missle; Ashoka- Shield Amulet
Posted Image

Draconis: ProMW expires; Ashoka- Arrow of Dispelling.
Posted Image

The Battle is over at this point. Draconis should have surrendered here.

When the going gets tough, the tough play BG1. In BG1 foiling disablers and range attacks, maintaining a movement rate advantage, keeping mobile and attacking at range works everytime. That's also one of the move reliable approached in BG2 once things get rough. From that BG1 inspired view point, it should be easy to see why that lambs tail is thoroughly shook at this point of the fight.

Draconis's ranged options are Brown Dragon's Breath, Wing Buffett, and Magic Missle. With the Shadow Dragon Armor, Pro Acid, and AoF, the breath weapon would heal Ashoka. Due to Roranach's + Hardiness + AoF the Wing Buffett will heal as well. The Magic MIssles are taken out of play by the Shield Amulet. That dispelling arrow has taken out Draconis's Haste effect, and his Remove Magic failed to eliminate Ashoka's Oil of Speed. Only a feral cat can save him now.

He got Gessen first.
Posted Image

Hardiness and AoF where refreshed as needed. All of Ashoka's level 1s go to AoF. She has 8 Hardinesses.
Posted Image

Finished with a Staff of Striking Greater Whirlwind. Kudos to Draconis for defying posterization by nipping Ashoka at the precise moment of his death. (He must have learned that one from Niz) 
Posted Image

Fin!
Posted Image

Abazigal and Tamah will be a heck of a lot trickier. Which her luck on that one!

Best,

A.

Btw. As for the Staff of Striking Whirlwind finish, that was just for style points. I liked the image of a Badly Wounded, frustrated, and exhausted Draconis desperately charging Ashoka. Then, instead ot darting away for once, Ashoka twirls here staff, waits, and grins. A glimmer of anxious hope appears in Draconis's eyes followed by: "Bam! Bam! Bam! Bam! Bam! Bam! Bam!" Fun. :happy:

Edited by Alesia_BH, 02 November 2011 - 06:44 PM.