Baldur's Gate 2 No-Reload Challenge

• Please log in to reply
15228 replies to this topic

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

Wierdo wrote...
I can understand you not going with the Sendai/Abby enhancements.

Yeah. Ascension+SCS scripting will make those areas interesting enough. The Enclave enhancements can be tough on a soloist.

Let's hope you get that far! Grab some friends along the way maybe?

I hope she does make it that far to. I'm still a novice with Warriors and my intention with Alessandra is to try many of the weapons and abilities that I've never used before. That may get her killed. 

She'll live or die alone I suspect, but she may decide to link up with one or two others. I sort of like the idea of her spending some time with Viconia and Sarevok. Maybe Keldron at times. Those will all be RP decisions rather than tactical ones.

Wierdo's party have become pro's at dragon killing. I still love that four dragon fight. Wierdo's traps did make it a little easier  :devil:

Wierdo is a pro-dragon slayer by now no doubt. Again: well done!

Alessandra's stats are interesting. Similar approach to that taken by Mazzy - high DEX, decent CON but only 15 STR. Enough strength to use most weapons, but I imagine that you intend to use girdles and potions a lot.

Yeah. I try to pick stats that match up with my character's portrait. Alessandra doesn't look that strong to me. 14 (pre-Tome) was pushing it even.

In general though, I actually find base Strength to be fairly unimportant for a solo Warrior. Even if you are at say, 18/00 you are still going to want to buff that in any fight that counts. All base strength does ultimately then is effect carrying, equipability, and the speed with which you can complete trivial encounters pre-belt access. Base Strength is more of a convenience then a tactical necessity.

Take care out there in the big city Alessandra, it's dangerous! But nothing you can't hadle, I'm sure.

Thanks! I'm a little worried about her since I'm still learning Warriors and intend to try new thing with her. Plus, this is my first playthrough will all the creature enchancements and SoA tactical challenges. I expect it to be a fun and interesting run- not necessarily a successful one.
Success would be nice though to be sure. :P

Best,

A.

Edited by Alesia_BH, 15 November 2011 - 01:20 PM.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts
Quick Note on Alessandra's Game

As some of you know, a collection of  "delightfully stupid" and "unashamedly cheesy" videos covering Alessandra's run were posted in the BG1 thread. For those who didn't get a chance to see them there, I'll repost the key ones below.

The Bandit Camp. The audiotrack is Fast and Frightening by L7.

Drasus and Co. The audiotrack is Shove by L7.

Davaeorn. The audiotrack is Packin' a Rod by the Fiends as covered by L7.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1l1OmpNIsUg

Slythe and the Duchal Palace. The audiotrack is Drama by L7.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmoZoScVZbE

Sarevok's Silk-Gloved Beat-Down. The audiotrack is War With You by L7.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jlix3dp0XVI
NW: This was not the "official" No Reload run Sarevok fight. This video was recorded afterwards for kicks.

I hope to compose videos covering Alessandra's BGII adventure as well. They're fun. :D

Good hunting everyone!

Cheers,

A.

Edited by Alesia_BH, 15 November 2011 - 01:15 PM.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts
 Quick Note on Alessandra's Game:

Alessandra has made a modest amount of progress since arriving in Amn. She has completed some minor quests in town and has assembled a workable tactical tool kit. 
Posted Image
Posted Image

She is currrently battling her way through the Druid Grove. She hasn't yet decided where she'll go after that.

I'll post more when I have some free time.

Best,

A.

Edited by Alesia_BH, 16 November 2011 - 01:28 AM.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts
 Alessandra, Undead Hunter: Early SoA Update

Ok. I have a little time now so I'll try to provide some coverage of Alessandra's early adventures. Unfortunately, I accidently deleted many of the screenshots so this will be a bit fragmentary.

The Chataeu

The Chataeu actually ended up being the most difficult thing Alessandra has had to do in her adventure thus far. I have never gone north of Rielev in SCS. I sent Alessandra into the library to pick up the Oil of Speed and was surpriseed to find that it was within call for help range of Iylich and his Mage. Alessandra was happily chunking Duergars when that pair showed up. Facing a Mage without a complete tactical toolkit -and without a Berserkers rage or anything of that ilk- can be dangerous of course.

The opening was dicey. Once the Mages' pre-buffs fired, disruption was difficult and the Mage did have Horror in his book. Alessandra had not rested and memorized Remove Fear since she was not expecting an arcane opponent. She made her save, happily, but rolling to save even once during an adventure consistutes a major, major misstep to my mind. Lesson learned: don't go into the library unless you are ready for a tussle.

After that harrowing moment, everything went smoothly. She was soon enjoying the morning light in the promenade with acorns in tow. She was ready to move on.

The Helm 

As mentioned earlier, Alessandra found a curious item in Irenicus's bedroom: The Helm of Opposite Alignment. Due to her lifelong fascination with evil, it intrigued her like no other object could. She put it on almost immediately.

Here is what has always interested Alessandra about evil.
Posted Image

What we see here is a group of people in a tavern. They are all eating the same food and drinking the same drinks. For all intents and purposes, they seem to have the same desires and predilections. But look: some of them are evil and others are not. Alessdandra has always wondered whether there is really a difference. The Helm has helped her reach her answer.

With the Helm on, she had no reservations about indulging in the "entertainments" offered at the Copper Coronet. She spent a night with a Courtesan and then another sampling Black Lotus. Even with the Helm on, she could recognize that there was something not quite right about the compulsion her companion was under to perform his duties. But aside from that, she saw little "evil" behind those doors.

Later, she discovered a bank of cells housing slaves. The Helm made her indifferent to their plight, but she freed them nonetheless since doing so gave her a chance to wreak havoc without repercussions. And while freeing the slaves would enhance her reputation, The Helm did not make her adverse to that at all. One of the most important things Alessandra learned is that -for the truly evil- nothing is more valuable then a sparkling reputation. She was eminentely pleased to be honored for her act of "compassion."

Reputation is one asset which the truly evil value. Charisma is another. Reputation alone faciliates evil (After all, how else can one pillage without the guards a callin'?). But reputation and charm- now that is the sweet spot. Alessandra used the gold she gathered from freeing the slaves to buy the Blade of Roses. It became one of her most valued items second only to her Helm. There was an undeniable synergy between the two. 

To an outside observer, Alessandra did little different while she was wearing The Helm. She did don Laerl's Tear Necklaces and other baubles- opting to adorn herself with resources that could otherwise immensely benefit those less privileged. But no one noticed this or saw it as vaguely evil for some odd reason (Perhaps because they wished to wear baubles themselves, Alessandra thought) . Mostly, it was what she did in private that differed. True evil, after all, is not in what is seen: it is in what is unseen and -most importantly- in what we ourselves choose not to see.

And so, alone in a forest, when a man asked for her aid, the Helm compelled her to let him twist.
Posted Image

Mind you, assisting Renfeld would have cost Alessandra little and it would have benefitted him immensely: this can only be seen as a clear win. She was just about to walk away, when she finally understood something crucial about evil. Evil is not exotic, or incomprehensible, or seductive: it is nothing but pointless, myopic selfishness- completely untinteresting. Crude.

With that thought in mind, she wrestled down The Helm's call, and carried Renfeld to safety.
Posted Image

Having learned what she needed to, Alessandra went to a Temple and had The Helm removed. She may never wear it again.

The Plan

The plan is as yet unclear. She has just completed the Trademeet Quest. Her immunity/counter set is now complete. Her next stop will likely be the De'Arnise Keep though she reamains uncertain. I'll post when there is more clarity here. I can also post on Alessandra's early combat and item collection route if there is interest.
Posted Image

Best,

A.

Edited by Alesia_BH, 16 November 2011 - 11:40 AM.

BBMorti

BBMorti
  • Members
  • 142 posts
I will be transferring Anatole the pure Assassin who graduated from the BG1 No-Reload thread. :blush:

She is a young woman who was strongly trained to be a paladin through her childhood in Candlekeep but she never managed to break free from what felt more natural to her. Her stats and even part of her personality shows a clear effect of her Paladin training.
She has a growing passion for poison, too.
Posted Image

Posted Image

So far, so good. She has survived a powerful mage's experiments.. time to flee.

I have mods - unfinished business, baldurdash and not much else from what I remember.. playing difficulty is still insane.

Your vote was noted Vaclavc, I apreciate you making it! :)

Edited by BBMorti, 16 November 2011 - 11:49 PM.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts
Welcome to Amn BBMorti!

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

I just thought I'd provide some concise coverage of Alessandra's early adventures. Since I found some of the missing screenshots.

Chataeu

In the Chataeu, Alessandra mostly relied on her Quarterstaff. She used the Long Sword + Shield at times for kicks, but that was just a waste of potions.
Posted Image

After her unexpected run in with Ilyich's Mage, Alessandra went back and caught some Healing from Jaheira. She also recruited Minsc in the hope that he might bash a lock or two. Neither engaged in combat.
Posted Image

The biggest scare occured here actually when Alessandra cast Detect Evil in BGII for the first time and saw the Fireball animation. She feared something funky had happened and that she might end up fighting the Dryads. Fortunately, the fireball animation was purely cosmetic.
Posted Image 

Nothing else to report in the Chataeu.

The Slaver Quest

After the Chataeu, Alessandra fixed Kalah, before heading to the Copper. She spent some time milling about, and then handled the Slaver Quest. Fiddling with melee for kicks allowed those stinking SCS Bears to put a dent in the early Healing supply. Picked up The Reflex and the Ring of Air Control with the Gold.

As for the remainder of the Slaver Quest, both the Long Sword+ Shield and Quarterstaff setups proved helpful.

The Hobgoblins were so ready to go Hold Person->Arrows. What they were not ready for was Hold Immunity and The Reflex. Run away! Run away!
Posted Image

The remaining foes got the Staff. No Damage here. The Mustard Jellies were allowed to gel another day since Alessandra's +1 Long Sword vanished somewhere between the Chataeu and the Sewers...
Posted Image

The second Hobglobin batch was lured into the Cloudkill Trap. Lilacor was stowed in the pack for it's immunities.
Posted Image

The Punk Slavers got Long Sword + The Reflex. They couldn't hit consistently in melee. Arrows bounced off The Reflex.
Posted Image

Used the Staff towards the end once the Ranged fighters hand fallen to conserve Potions that might be lost to Critical hits otherwise.
Posted Image

Haegan had a few advantages over Alessandra including healing access (4 Potions of Extra Healing) and Strength (Potion of Frost Giant Strength). Those mattered little. In the end, it was a standard fast wood beat slow metal fight.
Posted Image 

Suna Seni

Alessandra hit the shops and filled in the gaps in her Immunity/Resistance collection at this point.
Posted Image

Now with innate immunity to Hold and item based immunity to Charm and Confusion- along with The Reflex, the Ring of Air Control and her Potions, Suna Seni was perfectly safe. Alessandra disrupted the Divination cast to keep her untargettability in place before going to work.
Posted Image

Used Potions of Firebreath here to do some Potion scoring. That paid off well with two Potions of Firebreath being the price for a Potion of Magic Shielding, 3 Potions of Invisibility, and 4 Potions of Extra Healing. No Damage taken.

Arbane's Hold Immunity does Alessandra little good but it's Haste remains helpful. You'll see Arbane in Alessandra's Weapon Slots oftern even though she doesn't wield Short Swords.

I'll post on Trademeet soon.

Best,

A.

Edited by Alesia_BH, 17 November 2011 - 04:08 AM.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts
 Quick Note of Alessandra's Game: 

Alessandra did not have to work hard to achieve "Harmony" in Trademeet.

Achieving Boots of Speed- that was a bit trickier. With Tougher Spawns (and thus Triple Yuan-Ti Mages), Better Calls for Help, Smarter Mages w/Full Pre-Buffs, and Improved Fiends, but without Arrows of Dispelling (Restricted), Pro Magic (Restricted) and Darts of Stunning, the Planar Prison Quest was non-trivial for Alessandra.

Nonetheless, she is still alive and noticeably more fleet of foot now. That's a good thing.

I'll post on the quest when I get the chance.

Best,

A. 

Humanoid_Taifun

Humanoid_Taifun
  • Members
  • 1,444 posts

Alesia_BH "wrote"...
Posted Image

It seems you missed the quarterstaff +1?

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts
 Alessandra, Undead Hunter Update: Trademeet and the Planar Prison

Trademeet

The Trademeet Quest was very simple.
Posted Image

First, Alessandra jacked a Dao and took his bottle. Then, she proceeded into the Grove and took down some Trolls with her new friend's assistance. There were 3 Spirit Trolls and a few others (No Screenshots).

Then the Spiders. There were about 5 Sword Spiders, a Phase Spider, a Giant Spider, and some of their buds as well. Mr. Efreeti started them off with a Fireball.
Posted Image

The Giant Spider tossed a Web which had to be countered with a Potion of Freedom. Not much else to report there.
Posted Image

That was followed by a quick Santuaried journey into the Troll Mound to pick up some goodies. The Spectral Trolls were next.
Posted Image

By that time, Alessandra decided she had had enough combat. She stealthed to Cernd, outsourced the killing of Faldorn, and then took down the Dao. Voila: Hero of Trademeet, Harmony achieved...

The Planar Prison

Trademeet was an appetizer. The Planar Prison was a full meal with seconds. Alessandra had more than her fill of combat by the time that one was done.

Bounty Hunters

The Bounty Hunters were first naturally. The Mage was Assasinated with a Potion of Firebreath.
Posted Image

Alessandra just punked the rest of them with her Blade of Roses + Reflection Shield setup. Cloak of Displacement + RoAC:II + RoP got her out of the Pixie ****** danger zone.
Posted Image

Thralls

The first Thrall Mage was a warm up. Chaos-> Harmony.
Posted Image

Flame Arrow-> The Reflex.
Posted Image

You get the idea. Elemental Arrows fixed her once The Crimson Dart took out her Mirror Images.
Posted Image

Quadruple Mage Battle

Then the quadruple Mage battle. As mentioned, this can be a non-trivial fight for a level 11 solo Warrior with Smarter Mages w/ Full Pre-Buffs, Better Calls for Help, and Improved Fiends. It still wouldn't be that bad actually if the engine didn't treat Melf's Minute Meteors as melee attacks. But given that, it would behoove you to keep your Aura clear and bring Elemental Arrows, Darts of Stunning, Arrows of Dispelling and or Pro Magic. Alessandra just had the Elemental Arrows.

At outset, it looked like she had more than a full plate. But this moment wasn't as dangerous as it seems.
Posted Image

These mages will Dimmension Door, track the Invisible, and call for help efficiently. Alessandra was able to get a little seperation though. At this point, she's facing 2: weathering MMMs while sending Flame Arrows back with The Reflex.
Posted Image

Chaos-> Harmony of course.
Posted Image

MMA. She just had to take those since she wasn't  willing to burn a Potion of Magic Shielding or a Green Scroll. Potion of Invisibility -> Wait-> Heal is one of the better counters here. Tis a pity Yuan-Ti Mages don't incant...

Posted Image

Enfeeblement-> Potion of Stone Giant Strength.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Slow-> Oil of Speed
Posted Image
Posted Image

This was a long irksome battle for Alessandra, but imagine what it must have been like for those mages...

Ultimately, they were tapped and then were dropped with Elemental Arrows and the Crimson Dart.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

The Master of Thralls.

This was Alessandra's first look at a SCS Smarter + Improved Staying Power Fiend. He looked to be a Nabassu basically given his abilities. That meant he'd have serious Potion of Absorption problems as well as Range/Speed Factor issues against a Staff.
Posted Image

His Vampiric Touch spamming/stacking was the only issue. The Belt of Inertial Barrier helped with this.
Posted Image

Not sure how many hitpoints he had by the end of the fight, but he took well over 100 damage after reaching Near Death.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Gotta go. I'll post on the Warden when I get the chance. 

Best,

A.

Edited by Alesia_BH, 18 November 2011 - 12:08 PM.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

Humanoid_Taifun wrote...
It seems you missed the quarterstaff +1?

Wasn't worth the trouble. With two pips in Two-Handed Weapons, she can wield an unenchanted staff at 0- that's all that matters really lest you're fighting something that needs enchantment. Alessandra knew she'd have a better staff by that time.

Best,

A.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

Alesia_BH wrote...

The Giant Spider tossed a Web which had to be countered with a Potion of Freedom. Not much else to report there.
Posted Image

Glad to see Alessandra making progress.  From the look of the screenshot that's an old version of SCS - giant spiders now cast web specifically at an individual.  Doesn't make much difference to a solo player, but is a bit easier on a party.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts
 Ok. It looks like I may have time to do the Warden.

This could have been hard. Alessandra chose to make it easy. The Warden is flanked by 3 Yuan-Ti Mages. However, you can take advantage of his Invisibility detection to seperate. That's exactly what Alessandra did.

Took her Invisibility via Mr. Efreeti.
Posted Image

Stepped up, said hey-there-hi there to the Warden (but not the Mages) and then pulled back.
Posted Image

While Tracking the now Blind Alessandra, the Warden stopped to take care of something.

Sorry Mr. Efreeti- can't help yea this time...
Posted Image

When he opened his mouth, he got Elemental Arrows.
Posted Image

When he didn't, he got Darts of Stunning. This one stuck.
Posted Image

His Sunfire+Mantle (Helpless) move was clever...
Posted Image

Didn't matter much though- he never shook off the Stun. Fed him Poison once the Stoneskins were gone just to bottle him up in the event he awoke.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Fin.

Alessandra's current Character Record and Inventory.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Best,

A.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

Grond0 wrote...
 From the look of the screenshot that's an old version of SCS - giant spiders now cast web specifically at an individual.  Doesn't make much difference to a solo player, but is a bit easier on a party.

Yeah. I reverted to SCS 15 (last pre-ToBex) after encountering the ToBex related Magic Damage Resistance bug in Alesia's run.

I may move over to SCS 19 with Magic Damage Resistance bug work around soon- assuming there aren't other ToBex related issues that I might encounter. 

Edited by Alesia_BH, 17 November 2011 - 03:13 PM.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
I remember - thought perhaps you would have updated when changing your install recently, but I understand your reluctance.  The magic damage resistance bug has been solved on the later versions of ToBex, though I don't think that the change has been incorporated in SCS2 yet. 

It was partly for this reason that I installed ToBex separately.  Just to double-check it was still working I used my recent autosave in Amn to get Imoen to fire some magic missiles at Sumer.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

Grond0 wrote...

I remember - thought perhaps you would have updated when changing your install recently, but I understand your reluctance.  The magic damage resistance bug has been solved on the later versions of ToBex, though I don't think that the change has been incorporated in SCS2 yet. 

Yeah. The Magic Damage Resistance thing was a big turn-off mostly because it happened during an Alesia game. I might not have been as irked had it affected another character's run.

I would like to have SCS 19 for this game. Aside for the fixes and tweals, the main tactical differences between 15 and 19 are the Blindness spells (Blindness and Glitterdust), Greater Command, and the Vamps. It would be really nice to have the upgraded Vamps for Alessandra's game what with her being an Undead Hunter and all. She's a bit too far in to muck around with the install now however. Next time.

Best,

A. 

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

Alessandra has penetrated deep into the De'Arnise Keep. She is currently resting outside Torgal's inner sanctum. She'll likely face him soon.

For the most part, she just went with her Long Sword + Shield setup while wearing the Girdle of Piercing and running Draw on Holy Might along with Pro Evil. None of the Trolls could hit without Criticalling. The Drinker handled most of her Healing needs- she didn't need any potions untill she let herself get decked by a Golem.

Anyhoo. I'll post when the quest is done.

Best,

A.

Edit: Torgal is down. I'm tired now though so I'll post on the quest tomorrow. She'll probably do Windspear Hills in her next session.

Current Inventory and Character Record.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Note Well: That Full Plate probably won't stay on her- it's too heavy for her.

Edited by Alesia_BH, 17 November 2011 - 07:41 PM.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts
Alessandra in the De'Arnise Keep

Alessandra was very pleased with how things went in the Keep, I less so. She was pleased because she destroyed all the trolls while consuming few potions. I was not because I was too cowardly to let the SCS Improvements have their day in the sun. As it was, they just ended up adding some extra easy experience. Next time.

As mentioned earlier, Alessandra relied heavily on her Long Sword + Shield setup in The Keep. With the Girdle of Piercing and Pro Evil running, none of the Trolls could really hit. They'd get a Critical in every now and then, but that would be fixed by The Drinker within a couple rounds. This was a definite auto-pilot quest for the most part.

This was by far the most irksome part of the quest. There are few things I hate more then waiting for my Human warriors to see secret doors that I know are ther. I decided to have Alessandra rest and then try Find Traps (even though that has never helped in the past). She got the Yuan-Ti spawn, and then found they were in call for help range from all those blokes in the dinning room. All this to open a stinking door...
Posted Image

Alessandra knocked off the rest of the first floor trolls, and then headed into the courtyard. I never cease to be amused when my characters deliver their battle-cry before icing Rex, Rover, Sparky, and Spot.

Alessandra cried: "Make peace with your gods!" That was a good one...
Posted Image

Second floor, more Trolls to thump. Drinker + Harmony, Acid Arrow finishes.
Posted Image

Don't mind me, I just need to pick something up...
Posted Image

Then the Golems. Desiring only the Fire head and Frostreaver, Alessandra didn't fight many Golems- just s Stone and Flesh. They got the Staff.

This seemed an atmospheric place for Golem punking.
Posted Image

This less so, but it worked just fine.
Posted Image

Alessandra descended, collected the oh-so-valuable Shield Amulet, dispatched the fodder, and then prepared to face Torgal. This was when I put on my chicken suit... 

Thus far, the SCS improvements had just tossed a few Spirit Trolls in Alessandra's way and they are just irritating but ultimately easy bundles of EXP. The Torgal fight was supposed to be a difference maker. But no. Alessandra approached Invisible. Torgal detected her and the others did not. She then withdrew and punked Torgal on his own with her Staff. Potion of Clarity handled his Cloak of Fear, the Speed and Reach of her staff coupled with movement took his melee abilities out of play.

Got a little help from Mr. Efreeti at first.
Posted Image

He wasn't prepped for the Cloak of Fear though so that party broke-up quick.
Posted Image

Just Alessandra and Torgal now.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Glaicas quaffed a good 6k worth of Potions (Oil of Speed, Potion of Magic Shielding, Potion of Power, Potion of Frost Giant Strength, Potion of Extra Healing x2). None of it helps if you are wielding an unenchanted Two-Handed Sword against a Staff (unless you are a high level Kensai that is).
Posted Image

Eventually, he paniced, and got the Crimson Dart.
Posted Image

Fin!

Onto Windspear Hills.

Best,

A.

Edited by Alesia_BH, 18 November 2011 - 07:05 AM.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

Alesia_BH wrote...
Thus far, the SCS improvements had just tossed a few Spirit Trolls in Alessandra's way and they are just irritating but ultimately easy bundles of EXP.

How were you protecting against greater command - just use of ring of air control?

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts
I'm not using the Tactics Spirit Trolls- I have the Improved Torgal with regular Spirit Trolls option installed.

I'm not convinced that was a good decision because, as I mentioned, the additional Spirit Trolls just end up being easy EXP.

They are annoying mind you- I quite dislike having to retarget every time they disappear. They aren't even vaguely threatening though if you have a low enough AC.

Edited by Alesia_BH, 18 November 2011 - 12:03 PM.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

Alessandra is currently journeying to the Windspear Hills. I'll note that this trip is not about Carsomyr: it's about Dragonslayer. Alessandra won't be able to wield Carsomyr effectively until she reaches level 15 perhaps, and more likely 18. I'd just assume wait until that point before braving Firkragg.

Alessandra's Current Character Record and Inventory.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Humanoid_Taifun

Humanoid_Taifun
  • Members
  • 1,444 posts
Will you do the paladin quest series?

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

Alesia_BH wrote...
They are annoying mind you- I quite dislike having to retarget every time they disappear.

I'm with you therePosted Image.

Sumer the Feralan (ranger kit) after many attempts eventually survived the rigours of BG1 and has started his next adventures.

In the dungeon he used his berserking ability to take on the mephits in the elemental plane with no problem.  The ones around the portals recruited lots of reinforcements through gating and inflicted heavy damage on him, but he survived.  The aim was to only ever go near a mephit with berserk available as even a harmless variety could gate in a steam mephit - this meant lots of resting.  I did actually approach one wrongly thinking Sumer had berserk and it did indeed gate in a steam mephit.  However, I had realised the error and Sumer had already run away before the mephit had fully appeared.

Sumer declined to take on the ogre mage, but in a rush of blood he did confront the battle mage after he had dealt with the vampire.  This is a formidable enemy - using 4 5th level spells just on Sumer - but he safely came through his ordeal by fire and ice.

Heading for the exit he came across a rather out-of-place duergar - must have run away from one of the battles earlier.

Here are Sumer's stats on exit from the dungeon.
Posted Image

Using the funds from the dungeon, plus a top-up contribution from Cohrvale & Bregg, he's invested at the temple to get reputation up to 17 and is now on the way to the circus.

Edited by Grond0, 18 November 2011 - 01:48 PM.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

Humanoid_Taifun wrote...

Will you do the paladin quest series?

I don't know. I have to say it's unlikely.

Since Alessandra doesn't really like or respect her fellow Paladins, she'll probably tell them to get bent sooner rather than later. I'm not sure though. Since I've never played a Paladin, I don't know what she'll be asked to do and or whether their requests would ruffle her feathers. We'll just have to see I guess...

EDIT: Just to add some perspective here, in an Order of Paladins, Alessandra would likely spend most of her time meditating in front of a candle while they were looking, and reading forbidden tomes when they weren't. I highly doubt the vanilla Paladin Quests would be suitable for her. Things that would be suitable would include:

*The Paladins discovering her Book and Helm and putting her on trial.
* Her inviting the Paladins to fight alongside her against Bodhi and then freaking them out by going Slayer. That might be followed by an Order sponsored (and Keldorn led) expedition to hunt her down and destroy her.

Stuff like that would make sense for her. I doubt there will be anything like that in the vanilla Paladin line.

Best,

A.

@Grond0- I'm glad to see Sumer underway. Again, that's a great portrait for a Feralan. :)

Edited by Alesia_BH, 18 November 2011 - 02:31 PM.

Humanoid_Taifun

Humanoid_Taifun
  • Members
  • 1,444 posts

Alesia_BH wrote...
Since Alessandra doesn't really like or respect her fellow Paladins, she'll probably tell them to get bent sooner rather than later. I'm not sure though. Since I've never played a Paladin, I don't know what she'll be asked to do and or whether their requests would ruffle her feathers. We'll just have to see I guess...

I'm asking because doing the windspear hills is the prerequisite for opening up the quests (while defeating the red dragon is the last order they'll give you - in order to retrieve the holy avenger).

* Her inviting the Paladins to fight alongside her against Bodhi and then freaking them out by going Slayer. That might be followed by an Order sponsored (and Keldorn led) expedition to hunt her down and destroy her.

I don't think they're all that bent on punishing MCs. Anomen slaughtered an entire family and the response was that he wasn't fit to be a paladin anymore.