Baldur's Gate 2 No-Reload Challenge

• Please log in to reply
15228 replies to this topic

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

Alesia_BH wrote...
I'm seeing Death Ray, and then Flesh to Stone. I was expecting something along those lines.

Death Ray casts at Level 7. A single Level 7 will collapse MSD. Consequently, the Death Ray should have removed your MSD immediately before the Flesh to Stone hit.

I realised after I'd posted it that you would probably think that - it was much clearer there was a problem in the couple of tests I did with the autosave.

However, I've now done much more extensive testing.  First of all that shows the problem isn't actually with flesh to stone, but the death ray (the order in which the rays are launched is not necessarily the order they hit, so it's hard to be certain what's doing what from one or two tests).  However, here are a few clear examples from the tests I did.

Here's MSD successfully defending against flesh to stone.
Posted Image.

Here's death ray going straight through MSD - much of the time in testing this resulted in immediate death (the test character had a saving throw of 11), but this one was saved.  In this instance the death ray not only went through MSD, but also cancelled it (as can be seen from the follow-up paralyzation effect).  This happened several times during testing.
Posted Image

Here death ray goes through MSD again, but this time does not cancel it. This screenshot also shows another problem I noticed several times during testing - that the character suddenly starts taking damage for no obvious reason. I'm not sure if that's a bug or some sort of additional harmful effect intentionally added to the basic beholder rays.
Posted Image

touch_of_the_void

touch_of_the_void
  • Members
  • 137 posts

Gate70 wrote...

touch_of_the_void wrote...
Too bad it isn't possible to do spell effect suppression in the Infinity Engine.

Actually, it may be. The Ice Palace in Icewind Dale 2 springs to mind.

Hmm, must admit I never played IWD 2. Sorry for going off-topic but what happens in the Ice Palace?

Jianson

Jianson
  • Members
  • 377 posts

Spell Shield will catch incoming attacks on magical defenses such as Pierce Shield, Ruby Ray of Reversal, Khleben's, and Spellstrike. Usually it will intercept only one attack before being cancelled but the spell is quirky and will not uncommonly remain when it should have been dispelled. As mentioned, the anti-magic ray is a systematic exception to the one-and-done rule.

Ah, so you can use Spell Shield to repeatedly stop the anti-magic ray from taking down spell buffs. I get that. But how does that protect you from all the other beholder nastiness (death spell, disintegration, cause wounds, charms, paralyzing, item stealing, etc.)? Won't they chew down stuff like Spell Deflection fast anyway? What else you need/use? Death Ward and such? Doesn't that get removed by the anti-magic ray?

Then there are some beholders (Elder Orbs?) that in addition to the ray barrage also cast actual spells like FoD and Imprisonment, right? What's a good tactic against them?

I think this beholder stuff is really complicated and nasty. I barely dare to let any other than Gauths see any of my characters - not even one with Shield of Balduran (because they have been killed occasionally anyway). Off-screen bombing, hiding and plenty of magic resistant summons is my way of fighting them. 

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

Grond0 wrote...
I realised after I'd posted it that you would probably think that

The behavior in the original screenshot is consistent with how MSD should work in theory. 

I've never tried using MSD against Beholders since there isn't any reason to expect it to work for more than a fraction of a round. It wouldn't surprise me to hear that there are some anomalies (Beholder rays are funky after all...).

Let me see if I can replicate some of your findings. Hold on...

Ok: Confirmed. Sometimes MSD behaves as it should: being cancelled after a single levelled 4-7 ray, other times it apparently remains and effects pass through (confirmed with Death Ray in particular, didn't experiment beyond that).

Interesting.:)

Anyhoo. I guess the upshoot of this is that MSD should not be used as a first line defense against Beholders: it shouldn't work out well in theory and it's even worse in practice.=]

Either way, it's a bummer about Raena. I hope he'll adventure on. 

Best,

A.

Btw. As for the damage, that looks suspiciously like the rolls from Telekinesis though it's not obvious that he was under telekinesis in the screenshot. Was he?

Edited by Alesia_BH, 11 October 2012 - 08:44 PM.

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts

Gate70 wrote...

Too bad it isn't possible to do spell effect suppression in the Infinity Engine.

Actually, it may be. The Ice Palace in Icewind Dale 2 springs to mind.

Hmm, must admit I never played IWD 2. Sorry for going off-topic but what happens in the Ice Palace?

Looks like I didn't do screenshots of it but here's the write-up (we haven't got much further as we focused on BG2 recently)
social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/182/index/3120942/206#14119659

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

Jianson wrote
Ah, so you can use Spell Shield to repeatedly stop the anti-magic ray from taking down spell buffs. I get that. But how does that protect you from all the other beholder nastiness (death spell, disintegration, cause wounds, charms, paralyzing, item stealing, etc.)?

Spell Shield is just a starting point: it protects the buffs that will protect you.

Won't they chew down stuff like Spell Deflection fast anyway?

Yes, MSD, SD, MST, and ST can be taken down quickly. MGoI, GoI, Spell Immunities, Specific Protections, and save buffs won't however and you can form a number of effective brews out of those. There are a number of angles you can use for each ray even. For example, the main damage ray from the standard Gauths and Beholders is Cause Serious Wounds. That's a Level 4 Necromatic Spell that does Magic Damage. So, you could foil it using a level immunity approach (GoI), a spell school approach (Spell Immunity: Necromancy) or a resistance approach (Pro Magic Energy, Pro Energy + Belt of Inertial Barrier). So long as you've covered at least one angle for each of the rays, you are safe. 

Best,

A.

Edited by Alesia_BH, 11 October 2012 - 08:58 PM.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

Alesia_BH wrote...
Anyhoo. I guess the upshoot of this is that MSD should not be used as a first line defense against Beholders: it shouldn't work out well in theory and it's even worse in practice.=]

Agreed.  My original hope was that spell immunity would be able to stop the anti-magic ray.  Negative saves would then have prevented other disablers, with protection from magic energy to stop the cause wounds.

Btw. As for the damage, that looks suspiciously like the rolls from Telekinesis though it's not obvious that he was under telekinesis in the screenshot. Was he?

There was no screen message, but the movement pattern looked unusual for a scared character so that does sound plausible.

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,558 posts
@Grond0, Alesia, Gate: thanks, friends! The most sad thing is that when I engaged Tolgerias after reload a single Cloudkill from the Wand (and I have it full charged) changed the tide drastically. Aside from his all-scary pre-buffs and Kelben Warden Whip on me he cast not a single spell (as well as his support Mage). They were a pushovers without their Demons... Oh well... to live is to learn. *We will meet again some day, Tolgerias. You can be sure of that...*

Ygramul

Ygramul
  • Members
  • 25 posts
As I seem to be finding no help on the other forums, I'll ask for help here since this is ruining my no-reload run:

I have a problem with problem w antimagic not targeting past invisibility (SR+SCSII) . Perhaps someone can help with some advice. This is a game breaker for me as I only play no-reloads and a single mage that runs invisible with spell protections can be game ender.

Running BGII and BGTUTU under wineskin in MacOS with some standard mods.

None of the antimagic spells (spell thrust, pierce shield etc.) seem to target improved invisible characters despite my selection of this option at mod install. Also, I seem not to have the old legacy option of making antimagic area effect targetable.

Any advice welcome.

Ygramul

Weidu log follows: (for BGII)

// Log of Currently Installed WeiDU Mods
// The top of the file is the 'oldest' mod
// ~TP2_File~ #language_number #component_number // [Subcomponent Name -> ] Component Name [ : Version]
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #0 // BG2 Fixpack - Core Fixes: v9.01
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #1001 // BG2 Fixpack - Game Text Update -> GTU classic (from Baldurdash, by Kevin Dorner): v9.01
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #100 // Party Gets XP for Sending Keldorn to Reconcile With Maria: v9.01
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #101 // Improved Spell Animations: v9.01
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #102 // Cromwell's Forging Actually Takes a Day: v9.01
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #104 // Ghreyfain's Holy Symbol Fixes: v9.01
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #106 // Giants Receive Penalties When Attacking Halflings, Dwarves, and Gnomes: v9.01
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #107 // Remove Dual-classing Restriction from Archers and Stalkers: v9.01
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #109 // Corrected Summoned Demon Behavior: v9.01
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #110 // Additional Script Fixes: v9.01
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #111 // Bard Song Fixes: v9.01
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #113 // Additional Alignment Fixes: v9.01
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #114 // Change Free Action to Protect Against Stun: v9.01
~SPELL_REV/SETUP-SPELL_REV.TP2~ #0 #0 // Spell Revisions: v3.1
~SPELL_REV/SETUP-SPELL_REV.TP2~ #0 #10 // Deva and Planetar Animations: v3.1
~SPELL_REV/SETUP-SPELL_REV.TP2~ #0 #20 // Mirror Image Fix: v3.1
~SPELL_REV/SETUP-SPELL_REV.TP2~ #0 #30 // Dispel Magic Fix: v3.1
~SPELL_REV/SETUP-SPELL_REV.TP2~ #0 #40 // Cure Sleep Fix: v3.1
~SPELL_REV/SETUP-SPELL_REV.TP2~ #0 #60 // Update Spellbooks of Joinable NPCs: v3.1
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #1000 // Initialise mod (all other components require this): v21
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #2010 // More consistent Breach spell (always affects liches and rakshasas; doesn't penetrate Spell Turning): v21
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #2019 // Antimagic attacks penetrate improved invisibility -> Antimagic spells remain single-target, but affect the target creature whether or not it is invisible (default option): v21
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #2050 // Make individual versions of Spell Immunity available, so that players can use them in Contingencies etc.: v21
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #2110 // Reduce the power of Inquisitors' Dispel Magic -> Inquisitors dispel at 1.5 x their level (not twice their level): v21
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #2120 // Slightly weaken insect plague spells, and let fire shields block them: v21
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #2130 // Cosmetic change: stop Stoneskins from changing the caster's colour: v21
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #2160 // Add an extra copy of some hard-to-find spell scrolls: v21
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #2170 // True Sight/True Seeing spells protect from magical blindness: v21
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #2180 // Prevent Simulacra and Projected Images from using magical items: v21
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #3000 // Remove the Shield of Balduran from the game: v21
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #3010 // Remove the invisibility power of the Staff of the Magi: v21
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #3020 // Move Vhailor's Helm into Throne of Bhaal: v21
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #3030 // Move the Cloak of Mirroring: v21
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #3040 // Move the Robe of Vecna into Throne of Bhaal: v21
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #3050 // Replace +1 magical weapons with Fine ones: v21
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #3080 // Change Carsomyr so that its Dispel on contact power grants a saving throw: v21
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #3530 // Faster Bears: v21
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #3540 // Grant large, flying, non-solid or similar creatures protection from Web and Entangle: v21
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #4010 // Make Freedom scrolls available earlier: v21
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #4030 // Retrieve Dropped Items from Hell: v21
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #4050 // Make party members less likely to die irreversibly: v21
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #4060 // Make the bard stronghold available to all classes: v21
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #4062 // Make the druid stronghold available to all classes: v21
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #4063 // Make the fighter stronghold available to all classes: v21
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #4064 // Make the paladin stronghold available to all classes: v21
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #4067 // Make the wizard stronghold available to all classes: v21
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #4091 // Decrease the rate at which reputation improves -> Reputation increases at about 1/2 the normal rate: v21
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #4100 // Treat mages' and priests' High-Level Abilities as innate abilities rather than memorisable spells (each may be taken only once): v21
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #5000 // Ease-of-use party AI: v21
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #5010 // Remove animation from the Cloak of Mirroring (leave it for other spells and effects that use the same graphic): v21
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #5020 // Move Boo into Minsc's pack: v21
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #5030 // Remove the blur graphic effect from the Displacer Cloak: v21
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #6000 // Smarter general AI: v21
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #6010 // Better calls for help: v21
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #6015 // More sensible choices of weapon proficiencies and kits for fighters (also fixes some errors in fighter stats): v21
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #6035 // Improved golems: v21
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #6061 // Smarter genies -> Genies cast spells like normal wizards: v21
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #6081 // Smarter celestials -> Celestials cast spells like normal wizards: v21
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #6090 // Give dragons more staying power by increasing their hit points: v21
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #6095 // Standardise dragon immunities: dragons in Shadows of Amn get the same immunities to vorpal attacks (etc) as their Throne of Bhaal cousins: v21
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #6100 // Smarter dragons -> Dragons have fast, uninterruptable innate magic: v21
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #6111 // Smarter beholders -> Don't give beholder rays any chance of burning through spell protections; beholder antimagic blocks all spells, including harmful ones, for a round (simulates D&D rules): v21
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #6121 // Smarter mind flayers -> Illithids have only original-game resistances; Illithids can see through invisibility: v21
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #6135 // Smarter githyanki: v21
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #6151 // Smarter Mages -> Mages only cast short-duration spells instantly at start of combat if they are created in sight of the PC: v21
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #6181 // Smarter Priests -> Priests only cast short-duration spells instantly at start of combat if they are created in sight of the PC: v21
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #6230 // Smarter Abazigal: v21
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #6250 // Smarter Melissan: v21
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #6900 // Make the starting dungeon slightly harder: v21
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #7040 // Improved Random Encounters: v21
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #7050 // Improved de'Arnise Keep ("Tactics Remix") -> Spirit trolls have the same powers as in the original game: v21
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #7060 // Slightly improved Faldorn: v21
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #7070 // Improved Bodhi (Tactics Remix) -> "Toned-down" version of the original Tactics Improved Bodhi, with SCSII scripting: v21
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #7075 // Party's items are taken from them in Spellhold -> Normal mode (recommended): v21
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #7078 // Improved battle with Irenicus in Spellhold: v21
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #7100 // Prevent resting in the Illithid city: v21
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #7111 // Slightly Improved Drow -> Leave Ust Natha's defences alone: v21
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #7160 // Improved Minor Encounters: v21
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #20 // Change Imoen's Avatar to Mage: v9
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #30 // Change Nalia's Avatar to Thief: v9
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #60 // Weapon Animation Tweaks: v9
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #90 // Disable Portrait Icons Added by Equipped Items: v9
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #110 // Icon Improvements: v9
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #130 // Force All Dialogue to Pause Game: v9
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1010 // More Interjections: v9
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1020 // Alter HP Triggers for NPC Wounded Dialogues: v9
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1040 // Improved Athkatlan City Guard: v9
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1070 // Improved Multi-Player Kick-out Dialogues: v9
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1080 // Add Bags of Holding: v9
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1161 // Multiple Strongholds (Baldurdash) -> Keep class Restrictions: v9
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1170 // Bonus Merchants (Baldurdash): v9
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1220 // Allow Cromwell to Upgrade Watcher's Keep Items: v9
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2060 // Weapon Styles for All: v9
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2090 // Change Experience Point Cap -> Remove Experience Cap: v9
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2150 // Wear Multiple Protection Items -> P&P Restrictions: v9
// Recently Uninstalled: ~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2161 // Alter Weapon Proficiency System -> BG-Style Weapon Proficiencies, With Weapon Styles (the bigg): v9
// Recently Uninstalled: ~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2192 // Limit Ability of Storekeepers to Identify Items -> Hybrid of Both Methods: v9
// Recently Uninstalled: ~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2200 // Multi-class Grandmastery (Weimer): v9
// Recently Uninstalled: ~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2210 // True Grandmastery (Baldurdash): v9
// Recently Uninstalled: ~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2250 // Un-Nerfed Sorcerer Spell Progression Table: v9
// Recently Uninstalled: ~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2260 // Alter Mage Spell Progression Table -> Un-Nerfed Table (Blucher): v9
// Recently Uninstalled: ~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2270 // Alter Bard Spell Progression Table -> Un-Nerfed Table (Blucher): v9
// Recently Uninstalled: ~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2280 // Alter Cleric Spell Progression Table -> Un-Nerfed Table (Blucher): v9
// Recently Uninstalled: ~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2293 // Alter Druid Spell and Level Progression Tables -> Use Cleric Level Progression Changes With Un-Nerfed Druid Spell Table (Blucher): v9
// Recently Uninstalled: ~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3001 // Higher HP on Level Up -> NWN Style: v9
// Recently Uninstalled: ~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3030 // Easy Spell Learning -> 100% Learn Spells: v9
// Recently Uninstalled: ~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3050 // Remove fatigue from restoration spells: v9
// Recently Uninstalled: ~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3080 // Unlimited Ammo Stacking: v9
// Recently Uninstalled: ~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3090 // Unlimited Gem and Jewelry Stacking: v9
// Recently Uninstalled: ~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3100 // Unlimited Potion Stacking: v9
// Recently Uninstalled: ~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3110 // Unlimited Scroll Stacking: v9
// Recently Uninstalled: ~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3121 // Happy Patch (Party NPCs do not complain about reputation) -> NPCs can be angry about reputation but never leave (Salk): v9
// Recently Uninstalled: ~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3123 // NPCs don't fight: v9
// Recently Uninstalled: ~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3125 // Neutral Characters Make Happy Comments at Mid-Range Reputation: v9
// Recently Uninstalled: ~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3150 // Turn Off The Hideous Cloak-of-Mirroring, Spell-Trap, and Physical Mirror Animations: v9
// Recently Uninstalled: ~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3183 // Romance Cheats: v9
// Recently Uninstalled: ~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #4010 // Improved Fate Spirit Summoning: v9
// Recently Uninstalled: ~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #4050 // Change Jaheira to Neutral Good: v9
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2192 // Limit Ability of Storekeepers to Identify Items -> Hybrid of Both Methods: v9
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2200 // Multi-class Grandmastery (Weimer): v9
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2210 // True Grandmastery (Baldurdash): v9
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2250 // Un-Nerfed Sorcerer Spell Progression Table: v9
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2260 // Alter Mage Spell Progression Table -> Un-Nerfed Table (Blucher): v9
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2270 // Alter Bard Spell Progression Table -> Un-Nerfed Table (Blucher): v9
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2280 // Alter Cleric Spell Progression Table -> Un-Nerfed Table (Blucher): v9
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2293 // Alter Druid Spell and Level Progression Tables -> Use Cleric Level Progression Changes With Un-Nerfed Druid Spell Table (Blucher): v9
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2300 // Triple-class HLA Tables: v9
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3001 // Higher HP on Level Up -> NWN Style: v9
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3030 // Easy Spell Learning -> 100% Learn Spells: v9
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3050 // Remove fatigue from restoration spells: v9
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3080 // Unlimited Ammo Stacking: v9
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3121 // Happy Patch (Party NPCs do not complain about reputation) -> NPCs can be angry about reputation but never leave (Salk): v9
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3123 // NPCs don't fight: v9
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3125 // Neutral Characters Make Happy Comments at Mid-Range Reputation: v9
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3183 // Romance Cheats: v9
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #4010 // Improved Fate Spirit Summoning: v9
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #4050 // Change Jaheira to Neutral Good: v9

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
Grond0/Gate70 multiplayer attempt 8 : Pendal (Gate70, protaganist) and Thimble (Grond0). Final Update.

Gate70 forgets he's left various items at Lazarus Librarus for Grond0. Including 2 each of Reflected Images, Ghost Armours Red/Blue Fireshield and Stoneskin. Note the last in particular.

With that omission there is nothing else to do so we buff and head to Melissan, only to find she has cast Power Word: Bug and we are informed there is something else to do. We check each of the Pocket Plane challenges - all empty. Abazigal is dead. Sendai is dead. Balthezar is dead. Even Yaga Shura, Gromnir and Illasera are dead. There appears to be no way to reach the Throne of Bhaal. Or is there...

CLUAConsole:MoveToArea("AR6200"), taking us Pendal to the Throne. He immediately casts Simulacrum before a distant voice informs him that Thimble is still Pocket Planed. Cue a hasty transfer of Thimble and a second CLUA just for her. Finally we are both on the Throne, but at the North West tip instead of the southern area. Melissan has obviously used this to her advantage and we have to brave a series of summons before reaching her (finding that simulacrums and a mislead are more hindrance than help). Pendal takes heavy damage before Thimble kills Melissan forces Melissan to drain some more power.
Posted Image

The guardians of the first essence pool are summoned before Pendal has buffed a second simulacum (never mind eh), then Yan'c'Bin or whoever badly mauls Thimble. Pendal and his sim have the other enemies killed as Thimble Azuredges Yan. Some healing and re-buffing is in order before cutting off the pool.

Melissan returns and we attack. At some point both our stoneskins are down and we are getting desperate (slayer shadows are a pain). Pendal throws a Rod of Resurrection to Thimble so she can heal before being hit again.
Posted Image

Thimble over-does it and collapses, leaving Pendal to run, grab the rod and run some more. There's no way Pendal is going to leave Thimble in that state for long. He sequences a superior glug, stoneskin and resurrection in some order and then the fight is taken back to Melissan. Thimble badly wounds Melissan before having to run again but Pendal has summoned a Dark Planetar and Runhammers Melissan into a second recharge.
Posted Image

The Planetar helps heal and buff once a few minions are defeated then some serious glugging against fire and cold are used before tackling the second essence pool. Pendal takes heavy damage while Thimble uses Azuredge and the Planetar tanks the main opponent. More buffing is done but the Planetar disappears as we prepare to shut off the second pool so Pendal summons another Planetar.

Melissan takes heavy damage and teleports. Pendal uses deja-vu to predict where she will arrive and drags the Planetar and a genie towards the landing area with Thimble moving round too. Thimble is running out of buffs, missing stoneskin in particular. As Melissan arrives something has happened to the Planetar and it attacks the genie (maybe the genie fireballed?)
Posted Image

The genie doesn't last long and Pendal is the next Planetar target. He sticks with Melissan for a couple of hits then drags the Planetar around until Thimble forces Melissan into a third recharge (you wouldn't think so from the closest screenshot though).
Posted Image

Pendal casts Hardiness and attacks the Planetar, Thimble adding a Critical Strike (wasted as Pendal kills it before she arrives). Yet more buffing and two Mordy swords summoned to distract a fallen solar before we move in. We drop the solar but Pendal is in trouble - charmed.
Posted Image

Thimble works her magic to kill the Succubus and Alu-Fiend as Pendal melees his own Mordy Sword.
Posted Image

Then two Mariliths.
Posted Image

Once Pendal recovers we buff some more (mistake here as Thimble casts Improved Invisibility before Pendal can use one of his four Improved Hastes on her). Thimble also notices many of her spells have gone (I lost track where but at one stage 5 nishru and a hakeshea were helping Melissan; 2nd battle based on screenshots). Various potions and scrolls are good enough while Pendal summons the juggernaut golem to help. We cut off the final pool to draw Melissan out again. Thimble is getting bashed about and has to step away once or twice but Pendal has a decent set of buffs and Improved Haste is allowing him to stay on Melissan (although the screenshot shows that Thimble should not be under-estimated).
Posted Image

Another few hits (didn't see who) and Melissan is disqualified.
Posted Image

Thimble thought there would be one more battle but Pendal advises not. It's done, a successful multiplayer no-reload despite a number of errors between us. I'd like to thank Grond0 for his efforts as neither of us have no-reloaded the trilogy on our own (and this is only his second foray through the tail-end of SoA and of ToB).

& the choice?
Posted Image

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts

Ygramul wrote...

As I seem to be finding no help on the other forums, I'll ask for help here since this is ruining my no-reload run:

I have a problem with problem w antimagic not targeting past invisibility (SR+SCSII) . Perhaps someone can help with some advice. This is a game breaker for me as I only play no-reloads and a single mage that runs invisible with spell protections can be game ender.

Running BGII and BGTUTU under wineskin in MacOS with some standard mods.

None of the antimagic spells (spell thrust, pierce shield etc.) seem to target improved invisible characters despite my selection of this option at mod install. Also, I seem not to have the old legacy option of making antimagic area effect targetable.

Any advice welcome.

Ygramul

I'm not familiar with it but would think a few other posters will be able to help (Alesia has/had it on a Mac if I recall, but an older version). In the meantime what about the spells mentioned in the SCS readme - just so happens that there is no overlap with those you mention so don't know if that is coincidence or if your spell selections are not affected by the component.

Antimagic attacks penetrate improved invisibility
This component changes those spells which target a creature's spell defences (e.g. Secret Word, Spellstrike,
Ruby Ray of Reversal - but not Breach) so as to allow them to target creatures which are protected by Improved Invisibility. The idea of this component is that these spells can now be cast on enemy mages who are protected by Improved Invisibility - this makes the Improved Invisibility / Spell Immunity: Divination combination less overpowering.

Prior to version 16, this component worked by giving the spells a small area of effect. This option remains, as a legacy component, for those who prefer it.

The antimagic attacks of enemy mages will bypass Improved Invisibility even if you don't install this component.

Edited by Gate70, 12 October 2012 - 11:58 PM.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

Gate70 wrote...
Thimble thought there would be one more battle but Pendal advises not. It's done, a successful multiplayer no-reload despite a number of errors between us. I'd like to thank Grond0 for his efforts as neither of us have no-reloaded the trilogy on our own (and this is only his second foray through the tail-end of SoA and of ToB).

The thanks of course should go to Gate70.  In the game Pendal led Thimble (from behind) through what needed to be done; out of the game he's done all the work writing up the posts, as well as sorting out the occasional bug (such as the use of the console described above).

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,558 posts
Congratulations, Gate & Grond0! :happy: Well done!

Edited by Serg BlackStrider, 13 October 2012 - 06:45 AM.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts
Our first multiplayer success!

Big congrats guys!

ussnorway

ussnorway
  • Members
  • 2,350 posts
Well done... Nice little "go F yourself" to fate at the end there guys.

BBMorti

BBMorti
  • Members
  • 142 posts
An amazing job!

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts
@Ygramul- I'm sorry to say that I can't help. I have experience running SCS in OS X, but I know zilch about SR and how it might interact with the SCS tweak.

Best of luck finding a solution. And do feel free to join us in the thread if and when you get everything settled!

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Anear - sorceror

My replacement sorceror for Raena made it through BG1 eventually and has started her journeys in Amn.

Having just finished SoA no-reload for the first time in multiplayer my next objective is to do it solo.  Fat chance of that if this standard of play is anything to go by:
Posted Image
Walking absent-mindedly through that acid blob would have comfortably killed Anear if it hadn't been for a rare use of her vampiric touch Bhaal ability a few turns earlier.

On the plus side I managed to deal with everything in the dungeon, which tends to be one of my subsidiary objectives.  The assassin mage managed to co-ordinate a minor sequencer magic missile perfectly with my skull trap to get rid of Ulvaryl before she could change to bat form.
Posted Image

touch_of_the_void

touch_of_the_void
  • Members
  • 137 posts
Introducing Malin, the minimum stat, no memorised spells mage, who has just completed BG1 solo no-reload (basically thanks to Fairy Dragon familiar daily invisibility and lots of Potions and Wands).

Here is how things look at the beginning of BG2. Malin forgot the Int tome and only got one Wis tome. He picked up the Con tome but lost Fairy Dragon #1 to the Skull Trap trap in Davaeorn's floor of the Cloakwood mines which dropped his Con back to 3. He seems to have entered BG2 still suffering from the Fatigue he picked up in the final battle with Sarevok...

Posted Image

Mods: just fixpack

Malin will be mostly trying to solo BG2 but for roleplay (or maybe so-it's-actually-possible) reasons he will be taking Imoen, Minsc, Jaheira and Yoshimo through Irenicus' dungeon.

Wish him luck!

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts
Best of luck to Malin and Anear!

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Anear's challenge also faltered early.  She survived the suna seni ambush and cleared most of the graveyard - picking up the green ioun stone in the process.  The last survivors in the tombs were a pair of shadow fiends and a mummy.  With one of the shadow fiends and the mummy both at near death after attacking invisibly a few times I thought I would finish them with a sunfire, making it easy to escape the remaining one. 

That would have been a reasonable plan if I hadn't overlooked that shadow fiends are immune to fire ...
Posted Image

Jianson

Jianson
  • Members
  • 377 posts

That would have been a reasonable plan if I hadn't overlooked that shadow fiends are immune to fire ...

Ouch!

(I didn't know that either.)

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
Guess that is the fiend part as shadows would normally be highly susceptible.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts
The Shadow Fiends are 100% immune to Cold, Fire, and Acid but they have negative 128% resistance to electricity.

Best,

A.

Btw. Where is Corey?

I've never seen him absent for this long?

Edited by Alesia_BH, 16 October 2012 - 02:34 PM.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Introducing Needle - Fighter / Illusionist

After failing to get very far with my sorceror attempts I thought I would go with the easier option of a gnome fighter / illusionist.  Effectively she is a straight replacement for Thimble, who I ran in the last multiplayer attempt with Gate70.  Although that run was generally successful Thimble was still killed or incapacitated several times so I'm not too optimistic about Needle's chances solo, but here goes anyway.

I didn't post in the BG1 forum, but Needle safely negotiated that and dealt with Sarevok for the first time.  Here's her starting record on finding herself in the dungeon.
Posted Image

She got rather more XPs than I normally accumulate in BG1, though I didn't level up beyond 161k there, because she killed several enemies in the hope they would provide her with scrolls.  A particular spell missing at the moment is stoneskin - I think Krystin had one, but used it during Needle's fight with her.