Baldur's Gate 2 No-Reload Challenge

• Please log in to reply
15228 replies to this topic

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
Kronk, ex-berserk berserker
Long term buffs (here) are enough to deal with Simyaz and co, wondrous recall allowing the divine duo to protect Kronk against chaotic commands too, allowing him to save his rages for when it really matters. There is little else to do in the underdark and Nalia suggests moving on - she must be getting hungry after declining to eat any of the soup prepared by Viconia (Kronk is happily using Lilacor to kill some of the tougher things swimming in it but then he’s always enjoyed playing with his food).

Viconia and Kronk are talking about alignment, any way for Kronk to become neutral or evil so he can use the soul Reaver sword (oversight on my part as it would suit him perfectly - maybe an option in the Hell trials).

A drow war party “ambush” Kronk on a narrow bridge but Mazzy stands on the bridge wall to help. The drow are cut down with minimal injuries taken and Kronk considers looking around some more (how to get Boz out of the way). Boz & gang finally turn up after visiting Ust Natha and agreeing to help Solaufein rescue Phaere. The rescue is quickly completed as the party are hasted and have summoned a djinn, flesh golem and berserk warrior in too.

Lasaonar wants to challenge us to a duel. Mazzy steps forward but Kronk pulls her back and suggests he will fight. Lasaonar discovers that Kronk can hit four times as often, and twice as hard. Chalinthra wants to pit her chances against Kronk, so he agrees. She quickly realises shield of the archons is no good and sanctuaries to heal, then summons a skeleton warrior. Kronk has retreated to avoid her blade barrier and lures a skeleton warrior over instead. Next he draws a winter wolf in and then inspects his wounds. Perhaps fighting fatigued with only one rage left wasn’t a bright idea. A second winter wolf is killed then Chalinthra is reliant on melee - and dead.

Imoen carefully buffs after resting then Kronk speaks to Sondal. Sondal will only allow Nalia to fight (not sure why Imoen isn't treated as a mage option). She casts MMM’s, badly wounds the mage and summons two skeletons before continuing her meteor lesson. With the mage dead Sondal allows another fight, Nalia returning again.

The second mage miscasts as a meteor hits him in the face, and the two skeletons move in. She casts ghost armour and blur before a skeleton drops the mage. Sondal is prepared to send a third mage in, and Nalia sighs.

Another spell disrupted by a meteor, Nalia adds mirror images and waits. The mage starts to cast again so Nalia disrupts with another meteor and casts her second MMM of the day. Two of these missiles finish the mage and Sondal has nobody else willing to play. Szordrin is rapidly cleaned out of livestock although Mazzy insists on helping Kronk against the beholder.

With the fun over it is time to return to Phaere and kill a beholder for her. After that we speak to Aboleth and agree to retrieve the brain of Qilue. It’s a messy job but our buffs are enough to complete the task without major injury. After that Phaere wants a swirf patrol eliminated but Kronk settles for returning a helmet instead. The next task is to kill Solaufein but again Kronk just grabs a cloak. Phaere wants to retire for the night and Kronk has to oblige, to the amusement of Viconia.

Phaere is made to look a fool as the beholder eye is nothing like the eye stalk of an elder orb (although one look at it makes Nalia retch as she remembers a previous meal). Kronk is tasked with finding one of three items but with all of them already backpacked he has other plans. A few more buffs are required then Deirex is in play.

Two true sights and five breaches later we start to make headway. Kronk is using the Dragons Breath halberd, Mazzy the war hammer +1/+4, Imoen a clerics staff +3 (oops, thought it was the +4 staff of Rhyn), Nalia the Firetooth crossbow, Viconia the mace of disruption and Jaheira the crimson dart (should have tried the bone club but at +3 against undead may have been no good either) . The unidentified boneblade +4 could have been a good option for either Imoen or Jaheira.
Posted Image

Viconia decides to use sanctuary while switching some dragon eggs around. The Matron Mother and Phaere are killed by their demonic summon and Kronk is free to leave the drow city without anyone else realising what has happened. Or not, as the city descends on them (nice, I’d clicked and walked away - came back 45 seconds later to see Mazzy under attack and about 40% wounded so lucky not to have deaths or end of run).

Once the drow are quelled Adalon takes her eggs back and the party prepare to exit the underdark.

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
Elhan is working out some geas details for Viconia. Kronk and Mazzy are helping, trying to make it useless but Nalia has other ideas “Make sure she doesn’t try and feed us any icky stuff”.

On the way to Watchers Keep we are met by Drizzt and his adventurers, but turn down his offer of assistance. Once we reach the keep Kronk empties numerous items into his storeroom and takes a few more items out to keep in his bag of holding. His huge bulk almost obscures the shield of Balduran as it is bagged but Jaheira spots it “so that’s where the shield went, would have been nice to take it with us you great lump”.

Word reaches us that Aran Linvail wants to meet again. Kronk is reluctant but eventually agrees. It takes considerable skill for Kronk to upset Aran enough for the Shadow Thieves to refuse to help against Bodhi - more loot for us.

Cromwell forges the equalizer longsword (bagged) and the Gesen shortbow (Imoen). Imoen asks what jobs there are and Kronk suggests something of magnitude to start with. With hindsight he should have brought the shadow wardstone as Thaxxy immediately turns hostile as we arrive in a clustered group - good job the buffing was done outside.Posted Image

One breach doesn’t work so a second is combo’d with pierce magic and warding whip. Kronk immediately slices off a lump of dragon with Lilacor and a second. Thaxxy has briefly turned from Kronk after buffeting him so the ladies have to scatter and return slightly better spread out.

Mazzy has switched to melee and taken a smaller lump of dragon too.  Jaheira lands a doom as Imoen hits with magic missiles. Kronk glugs a 2nd extra healer and finishes the battle before an insect plague and FoD land.
Posted Image

Kronk. Berserker 15. 918 kills (433 BG1, 485 SoA), Thaxll’ssillyia. Lilacor.
Mazzy. Fighter 15. 157 kills, drow wizard. Short sword of Arvoreen.
Nalia. Thief 4 > Mage 15. 140 kills, Deirex. Firetooth crossbow.
Imoen. Thief 7 > Mage 15. 32 kills, mind flayer. Shortbow of Gesen.
Viconia. Cleric 18. 59 kills, Shade Lord. Sling of Arvoreen.
Jaheira. fighter 12 / Druid 13. 117 kills, Tolgerias. Crimson Dart.

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
Kronk has given the silver sword away as there was no desperate need for it. Tarnor the Hatchetman and his sewerwaymen are steamrollered into the ground, Zorl taking a breach / warding whip combo to follow greater malison, silence, slow, symbol:stun, insect plague and chain lightning while Kronk and Mazzy enjoyed a hasted melee.

Mekrath tries to pay by slave - rejected and dealt with via breach and pierce magic. A group of yuan-ti mages are meleed by Kronk and Mazzy who are both protected from lightning, and at one point Imoen arrives to add a remove magic.

The planar prison is entered without resting, and we work round a bit at a time but as we approach the warden our death wards start to wear off. Mazzy and Kronk are doing fine in melee but the warden casts a wilting - just catching our mages in the area. Imoen is badly wounded but Nalia is killed. Kronk throws Viconia a rod of resurrection just as her chaotic commands are blitzed and she succumbs to chaos. Jaheira steps in to heal Imoen so she can summon a couple of skeleton warriors to protect Viconia.

It works, and Viconia eventually recovers while Kronk has glugged 2-3 healing potions and Mazzy perhaps half a dozen, both due to lightning protection expiring and Mazzy then taking some skulltraps. Viconia raises Nalia and we start to make headway. Eventually only the warden is left and although our attacks are hitting him he is barely visible. All we have left is a detect invisibility so that is cast to see if it improves matters. The warden falls to weapons soon afterward.

(yet another struggle in the planar prison - when will I learn - all the above was done on one set of buffs)

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts
Azriel, Halfling Barbarian

Ok everyone: My barbarian, Azriel, has just arrived in Amn after knocking off Sarevok. Give her a big welcome!
Posted Image

Proficiencies: Short Swords (x2), Slings (x2), Darts, Shortbows, Flails

Personal Item: Undecided (At some point in her adventure, Azriel will receive a personal item- likely something for her armor slot. I haven't worked out the details yet though.)

Mods: G3 Fixpack; G3 Tweakpack (Free Action Protects Against Stun only); SCS II (Full pre-buffs, all tactical components except Improved Shade Lord, Tactics Irenicus, Tougher Sendai Enclave, Tougher Abazigal Enclave; Ascension (All)

So far, Azriel has  escaped the dungeon and rescued Quayle. She'll head over to the Coronet in her next session. Feel free to meet up with her for an ale fellow Amnites!

Edited by Alesia_BH, 15 April 2013 - 02:02 AM.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Tiamat - wild mage v6 (update 8)

Serg BlackStrider wrote...
Sorry to hear that the Wild Run is over, guys... Tiamat should be extremely cautious from now on...

She's trying ...

If the previous tunnel A was illithids, then B must be for beholders - and so it proved.  Tiamat had to work a bit to get in to the first chamber - popping in and out briefly twice to leave summons.  The second time the beholder followed her outside to its doom, making it easy to come back in and hide while the skeleton warrior finished off the elder orb.  Once safely inside she was able to produce a succession of summons, which proved too much for the beholders without the need for Tiamat to expose herself further (using project image she has the ability to produce large numbers of summons each day, even without resorting to NRD).

The kuo-toa were even easier.  Given the demon knights recent track record of killing wild mages Tiamat produced several summons before invoking them this time!  There was no need to make use of the tainted tadpoles, as the planetar chopped the prince's head off anyway. 

Tiamat got to level 25 in the kuo-toa area, gaining the last of her HLAs.  I'm trying as a subsidiary objective to acquire all possible spells for her.  She's only missing a handful of levels 1-7 now, but still several level 8 and all except freedom at level 9 to go.

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,558 posts
@Alesia: Azriel is superfast indeed in racing through the first part of Trilogy! :happy: Congrats on dealing with Sarevok, welcome in Amn and safe travels here! 
And there are some pretty nice boutiques here as well...  ;)

@Gate & Grond - keep rocking, guys!

Edited by Serg BlackStrider, 15 April 2013 - 07:00 AM.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
Setben continuing Trilogy no-reload challenge...
Setben and friends have made it out of Irenicus Dungeon (Minsc, Jaheira, Aerie). The also managed to solve a circus problem without too much trouble. They have minimal equipment and will be heading to the slums next, to recruit their last party member for a while, Nalia.
Posted Image

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Tiamat - wild mage v6 (final update)

Serg BlackStrider wrote...
Sorry to hear that the Wild Run is over, guys... Tiamat should be extremely cautious from now on...

She tried ... but not hard enough.

Some rather poor play ended with Tiamat frozen in more ways than one ...

She successfully ambushed a deep gnome patrol before letting Solaufein live.  Returning to Phaere I was a bit surprised that Tiamat was invited to share her bed - the last time I looked Tiamat was female, but on checking all the appropriate equipment was indeed there so I must have missed another quick sex change (actually another surge turned her female again not long after this!). 

Tiamat went to the temple to meet the Matron Mother and was given 3 days to collect one or more items.  I had intended to do some other things during this time, but when starting a new session accidentally talked again to Phaere and handed over the goods.  Now with a tough time limit Tiamat went straight to talk to Phaere.  After that, however, she took the time to kill a bunch of Ghaundaur (using one project image) and then ransack Deirex's tower (using a planetar).  On approaching the temple to get the real eggs Tiamat agreed to accept a second set of fake ones from Solaufein, but unintentially left those in place of the real ones (going invisible to leave) - that meant he had to give Phaere the real eggs.

At the temple again Tiamat chuckled as the Matron Mother got a flame bath from the summoned demon, but then prevented Phaere from handing over the real eggs.  A planetar and mordy sword kept the demon occupied while Tiamat used MMM to kill it - rather oddly for a demon it suffered fire as well as physical damage from these.

I expected that Tiamat would just be able to run out of the temple invisible, but the guards saw through that with no trouble and hit her several times, triggering the Otiluke contingency put in place many moons ago in the event she lost more than 50% of HPs.  By the time that released her HPs were back up to full strength, although she'd lost a number of buffs.  With everyone in the city hostile I was afraid that the gates would be locked, but Tiamat was still able to escape and a potion of speed let her quickly lose her pursuers.

After resting, one project image summons killed the waiting drow before another group was summoned to attack Adalon.  Unfortunately the dragon was too smart for Tiamat - ignoring the planetar, mordy sword, 2 skeleton warriors, berserk warrior and project image and heading straight for the static Tiamat to breathe on her.  The breath appeared to do only 79 of her 89 HPs in damage, but she died anyway, so I presume there is some effect beyond cold associated with the breath (I've never tried fighting Adalon before).

Anyway, she did get to level 25 so Corey can now say he's seen that, if only brieflyPosted Image

Edit: incidentally I just had a cheesy thought and tested to see if it works.  It is indeed possible to avoid the above fate by using your project image to cast Otiluke's on the PC (though this could, of course, still be dispelled by a sufficiently mean adversary).

Edited by Grond0, 15 April 2013 - 03:21 PM.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Grond0 wrote...

Anyway, she did get to level 25 so Corey can now say he's seen that, if only brieflyPosted Image.  

Congrats. Getting to level 25 with a solo wild mage is quite an achievement. And also what's good is you didn't die to a wild surge, but rather a very tough enemy (Adalon).

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts
Sorry to hear of Tiamat's demise Grond0: Nonetheless, it was a wild ride. :)

Grond0 wrote...
 It is indeed possible to avoid the above fate by using your project image to cast Otiluke's on the PC (though this could, of course, still be dispelled by a sufficiently mean adversary).

That's one of the more interesting arcane casting ideas I've heard in a while Grond0. Kudos! :wizard:

Have you tried putting Otiluke's in a Helpless Contingency before casting PI? If that works, I'd prefer to do that since it would permit the PC to have II and Spell Protections in place prior to the application of Otiluke's.

(In theory, SI:A should solve the dispell problem you mentioned of course- I haven't test this though.)

Anyhoo. I may fiddle with adding Otiluke's into my standard II+SI:A+SI:D+SI:C+Spell Shield+GoI+Spell Deflection+Protection from Energy+Spell Trap PI stasis regiment.

The only problem I see here is that you could end up wasting time stuck in the Sphere once your PI is out of spells.

Cheers,

A.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts
Azriel, Halfling Barbarian: The Chateau

Azriel is not in Kansas anymore. More precicely, Azriel is no longer in a cosmic circle with Sorceress Sundries and its oddles of strength potions. That's a scary situation for my little barbie: Azriel needs strength buffs or ammo to operate- preferably both. The dungeon was a frightening place for her- even though she did, ultimately escape with ease.

A Strength spell from Imoen helped Azriel through the early encounters.

"Thanks Immy!"
Posted Image

But by the time Azriel reached the portals, she was forced to rely soley on DUHM and Barbarian Rage and those two together only get her to 17. It proved to be enough however, thanks to her Rage based Sleep immunity and high hitpoint total.

"RARGH! Um, sorry, I meant: rargh? Maybe?" 
Posted Image

Turning the corner -and now out of DUHMs and Rages while still having but a handful of bullets- Azriel realized that she was overmatched by 4 Duergars. She ended up playing a game of catch-me-if-you-can and then exhaled deep as the door slammed behind her.

"Phew!"
Posted Image

The final Assassin crew was spoiling for a fight, but Azriel had only one thing in mind: A mad dash to the nearest potion shop.
Posted Image

Now with a huge pile of bullets, and a shiny red bottle courtesy of Ribald, Azriel is feeling at ease again. She'll continue her adventures soon. For now, she needs a few Golden Sands and a good night sleep.

Best,

A.

Edited by Alesia_BH, 15 April 2013 - 04:12 PM.

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,558 posts
Feel sorry that Tiamat's run had ended, Grond...

Meanwhile  BlackStrider & The Motley Crue (aka Avatars) are just escaped the Irenicus dungeon. Imoen released us from the cages and we in turn saved Jaheira and Minsc. My heart sank with sadness when I told my girls to find their own way out of the dungeon... We cleared all the obstacles en route to freedom including killing Vampire with Potion of Firebreath. That forced us to fight the Assassin Mage - she Confused Krimlor but then wandered into the main hall where the rest of the crew resides and Cassia ripped the heart out of her chest. Not much issues with the rest and we finally out of this stinking hole. Some wizards put Irenicus and Imoen under arrest for casting magic withing the City (we should be cautious with that as it seems) and we are looking around for some familiar faces.

The starting SoA state (after the dungeon):

BlackStrider: Blade(11), 5 kills (Ogre Mage);
Alesia The Curious: Mage(8)/Thief(9), 6 kills (Escaped Clone);
Grond The Pathfinder: Archer(8), 22 kills (Cambion);
Cassia The Furious: Shapeshifter(11), 33 kills (Frennedan);
Krimlor: Fighter(7)/Cleric(8), 22 kills (Ulvaryl);
Pot The Selfless: Mage(9), 5 kills (Mage)

Current setup is in the link below.

to be continued...

Edited by Serg BlackStrider, 15 April 2013 - 04:28 PM.

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
Where one Tiamat falls another will likely prevail?

Another battle completed, another sign of romance from Viconia. It is time to find Haer’dalis, but first Mazzy wants to know what the prison cells look like in case they are superior to the abandoned temple cell we met her in. The first one (worst imo) contains three prison captains and two clay golems. Once everybody is in the cell the battle is easily won. The second cell has three efreeti - Kronk decides to tackle this cell alone while Mazzy joins him in the third cell to kill a wolfwere pack.

After three warriors and a knight are killed a Gish remains hidden until Jaheira casts invisibility purge. Kronk and Mazzy find four minotaurs and two prison captains in the last cell so Imoen and Nalia pop in to breach the captains. When everybody is out Jaheira thrusts the mastery orb into the brazier then Haer’dalis and his troupe are rescued.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts
Azriel: Halfling Barbarian: Out and About in Athkatla

Most of my characters are potion addicts. Ariel is a harcore junky. She needs potions: desperately. (And beyond that, she loves the pretty colors).

Her recently bought Potion of Strength was put to immediate use in the circus tent. And after a few buffs tossed by Aerie in the name of frienship, she was feeling like herself again.

"That's more like it!"
Posted Image

Kalah would have prefered to have met potion-less Azriel.
Posted Image

Why did Azriel quaff her precious potion so soon you ask? To get more potions of course. 
Posted Image

Reasonably well equipped now, Azriel was ready to see the town. Suna Seni offered to serve as Azriel's tour-guide, but Azriel ultimately decided to see the sites on her own.
Posted Image

Azriel was thankful for Suna's parting gift though: a lovely blade.

"Thanks Suna! See you around!"
Posted Image

The shinnies left over from the Suna encounter financed yet another shopping trip. Azriel needed just one more goody at this point to complete her early game item set: the Sling of Seeking.
Posted Image

Time to put the new blade and shield to use. Arbane shut down Hold Person, but Azriel did have to weather a few Unholy Blights.
Posted Image

A bit of a surprise here when the Kobold Shaman chose to ambush Azriel rather than waiting in his little nook as per usual (never seen that before).
Posted Image

Time for the Love Boat.
Posted Image

RoAC II and Arbane Haste topped off the buffs seen above.
Posted Image

Once the Slavers started calling for help, Azriel felt overwhelmed...
Posted Image

but she had just enough room to operate, and ultimately it was the Slavers who felt over matched.
Posted Image

Azriel dropped a bunch of them in the boat, but the others chose to have a little fraidy-cat pow-wow outside. Azriel crashed the party.
Posted Image

Haegan appeared to enjoy her company because he refused to go home and instead drank all night (he had an insane number of Potions of Extra Healing this time, I counted six).
Posted Image

Azriel was sidetracked by a murder mystey on her way to her next potion shop. Chasing Reijik's seemed harmless enough what with Arbane, backstab immunity, and now Azuredge. But Azriel was reminded once again that potion buffed thieves can do quite a bit of damage even without a backstab multiplier.
Posted Image

She ended up chased through the streets by a Bone Golem.

(Rose Bouquet to the rescue?)
Posted Image

Bone Golems have one teensy-tiny problem though: They're way too slow to be dangerous.
Posted Image

Azriel is off to see Roger next ,and then she'll be ready to leave the city.

Best,

A.

Edited by Alesia_BH, 15 April 2013 - 06:49 PM.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts
Glad to see you underway Serg! Best of luck!

Blind_Visionary

Blind_Visionary
  • Members
  • 462 posts
No!!! Wild mages!!

Sorry to see Tiamat and the ladies fall. Epic run. Well done.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

Alesia_BH wrote...
Have you tried putting Otiluke's in a Helpless Contingency before casting PI? If that works, I'd prefer to do that since it would permit the PC to have II and Spell Protections in place prior to the application of Otiluke's.

That does work.  It was actually largely to avoid that that I set the contingency up using 50% HPs rather than helpless as the condition (I hadn't thought of the advantages of Otiluke's then).  Of course the 1 turn duration is far shorter than project image for a high level caster, but the first part of the fight will often be the most dangerous so it could still be pretty effective.

(In theory, SI:A should solve the dispell problem you mentioned of course- I haven't test this though.

Tested - and works.
Posted Image

The only problem I see here is that you could end up wasting time stuck in the Sphere once your PI is out of spells.

Not much of a problem due to the relatively short duration.

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
Kronk hears something behind him (the remnants of a semi-canonical party led by a fighter/thief, a barbarian and some avatars). Only Imoen can also hear the far-distant rabble too so it must be an undocumented Bhaalspawn ability. Kronk isn’t too worried about the parties catching him up but extended buffing (6 x death ward + 6 x chaotic commands, resist fear and PfE 10’ require 4 wondrous recalls) means Kronk is last in line for the bathroom every morning and a potioned barbarian is likely to close in fast. Kronk puts it out of his mind and plans the day ahead while stood in line.

At this point he realises he is having trouble remembering what jobs were left outstanding. Jaheira has a gentle needle “we could try the shield of Balduran unless you’ve lost it again”.

& so it was that Kronk descended into the sewers to embrace the smell of the countryside again. He wistfully remarks about not being able to carry such a delightful reminder on his travels and Imoen suggests there may be a way, handing him (on the end of her staff, no hands) a cloak of the sewers. “Wonderful” says Kronk and immediately asks Viconia to wear it. True love...

Roger the Fence asks for help dealing with a sea troll. He forgot to mention the beholder and two gauth but Kronk has his magic cloak of overawesomeness and throws the shield of unbelievability to Mazzy. Game over, for the eye-freaks. Kronk has no room for Keldorn, telling him to go home to his wife - Viconia adds “before someone else does”.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

Grond0 wrote...
Tested - and works.

Interesting. Thanks!

Grond0 wrote...Not much of a problem due to the relatively short duration.

That may be true for some. In my case, I'm typically using PI at high levels when an image under Improved Alactrity can dump its book in a couple rounds. Ideally, I'd want to summon a PI, have it dump its book, and then free my caster as quickly as possible in order to summon another. Turnover speed is important here since it decreases the frequency with which the real caster will need to re-buff and thus the liklehood of needing to Wish up a new spellbook later. Otiluke's may ultimately be counter productive due to its effect on turnover and thus spellbook management.

Anyhoo. It's definitely something worth experimenting with. Thanks for that!

Cheers,

A.

Edited by Alesia_BH, 15 April 2013 - 07:31 PM.

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
Imoen is busy removing traps (a novelty after recent solo and multiplayer runs) while the party shoot down ettercaps. Kronk, meanwhile, is fighting shadows. Imoen has finished her work so aims the Gesen shortbow and fires, while Kronk the unobservant manages to notice her kill tally has picked up with this new weapon.

A pair of vampiric mists pick the wrong berserker to fight, and Gaal has the gall to offer a job to Kronk. Sassar has an alternative offer, but Kronk is tired and decides to play with a shade lich instead. The battle is taking longer than planned as a lack of true sight and de-buffs are helping the lich. Mazzy shouts to Kronk that the expiring buffs may be problematic but Kronk shouts back “what can possibly go wro”.Posted Image

(Mazzy and Imoen finish the lich off after Kronk is mazed and Viconia/Jaheira are wilted. Nalia stops throwing boomerang meteors at the lich in the interest of self preservation - although she briefly considers adding her own spell defences and seeing how many times the next meteor would bounce between the lich and her - must try this).

“Well” says Viconia “if I’m not mistaken you’ve killed each of us at least once now. I’ve suddenly gone off you”. Kronk realises his treat-em-mean keep-em-keen romance may just have been overdone and turned in a new direction, perhaps down a dead-end.

(rats, going to have to accept the more rests and extended buffing routine).

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
A few yuan-ti mages are laughing until  Imoen and Nalia use Gesen and Firetooth to turn the laughter around and once the stoneskins are worn down Kronk and Mazzy finish them off. Imoen and Nalia have kept their de-buffs for more threatening situations.

The cloak and shield combo allow Kronk and Mazzy to remove some beholders, gauth and shadows; Mazzy has hasted and strengthened herself while Kronk is raged with his first taste of improved haste thanks to Imoen. After getting his hands on half of a rift device it is time to take a break even though he can almost smell the glugging barbarian who must surely be closing in.

Edited by Gate70, 15 April 2013 - 07:59 PM.

Blind_Visionary

Blind_Visionary
  • Members
  • 462 posts
Kronk, you're driving your team into the ground! I hope Viconia forgives you.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
@Gate70: Interesting write-up of the bhaalspawn parties on your heals. Quite true that the parties pretty much have no chance of catching up, unless maybe a player didn't work, which isn't me, I work full time. I don't intend to be a full party for a while though, so maybe that will be in my favor.

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
“You have the constitution of an ox” says Imoen “try not to have the brains of one too”. Kronk is vaguely listening, but keen to plough on.

Tad certainly fits the eyeless requirements of the cult, Kronk can’t remember when anybody referred to him as “my lady” while Mazzy giggles at the results of her ventriloquism.

Kronk and Mazzy quickly show a group of mummies who is the daddy. Viconia has been a passenger for too long, her cheap bullets proving ineffective (as they have for the last few sessions, I really should equip her better). She tests out her turn undead and then clears the next two groups and another cavern, with the undead attacking each other under her control.

As we turn to leave a greater mummy attacks Jaheira. We turn back to face it and more arrive, together with a lich (respawn on same spot as the previous set of undead). Kronk knows the party have been lazy and not used chaotic commands or death ward so they move away from the lich and clear the other undead while buffing. Once the buffs are active a true sight is added and the party attacks. With two true sights running the lich is taking damage and Kronk chunks it with a critical 42 from his Dragon’s Breath halberd.

Another cloak and shield combo sees Mazzy and Kronk clear the pit of beholders before overkill sets in and the party can see about as clearly as the blinded priests because of how much is going on. Posted Image

The Unseeing Eye is undone by a crimson dart then Kronk hands back the Rift device.

Edited by Gate70, 15 April 2013 - 09:45 PM.

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
Gaal is eliminated and the temple of Helm advised of progress. Off to Windspear next where Samia and her gang find Kronk and Mazzy overwhelming as a barrage of spells lands. Conster is taken down with weapons so there is no need to rest before returning for Firkraag.

Doom 3 connects, a malison is resisted and a stoneskin elicits breach and warding whip.
Posted Image

Kronk glugs an extra healer as he is buffeted, then Mazzy glugs an extra healer as she runs - returning as soon as Firkraag switches to Kronk for the second time. Spells used are one insect plague, a chain lightning, one magic missile, one bolt of glory (resisted) and maybe some others (edit, there's a FoD shown for example, how can I forget that).

The insects are just too slow as all the other spells overtake them and Kronk finds the dragon heart before they arrive. They'll just have to feast on the corpse.Posted Image

"Good job Kronk" says Nalia "Nobody died all day". Mazzy puts her hand up but Imoen shushes her "Yes, we remember you getting drained by vampires but you're still handy with that sword at level 7 aren't you".

(& fighting the knights re-kindled Viconia's romance so a brief death seems to have done no harm) 

Edited by Gate70, 16 April 2013 - 12:19 AM.