Baldur's Gate 2 No-Reload Challenge

• Please log in to reply
15228 replies to this topic

Blind_Visionary

Blind_Visionary
  • Members
  • 462 posts

Grond0 wrote...
  However, most of the other trolls were left to give Nalia something to do with all the free time she's now got.

Ha ha!  Go Absol the Self-Interested!  (I have faith that you'll stay far away from the touch of enemies capable of Mazing you this time....)

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
Klonk / Valygar / Imoen / Jan / Viconia / Sarevok
The final seal guardians get what’s coming to them. Starting with some snares, a pinch of planetar, de-buffs and some GWW’s. Sarevok applies a DAHM - Deathbringer Assault Hive Mother.Posted Image

A group of golems proves to be harder, killing Valygar (should have healed him instead of carrying straight on) so Viconia raises him after the battle. (Note to self; Treat everything towards the base of Watchers Keep with respect. Failure to fully buff results in sticking party members back together again).

Klonk briefly becomes the eternal warrior then Azamantes casts imprisonment on him. Jan throws in a time-stop taunt “He’s enraged so we’re going to pull down your pants (lift up his robe you mean) and plant a turnip where the sun don’t shine”.

This turnip turns out to be two warding whips, pierce magic and  remove magic. Sarevok is the first to react and only one hit is required to destroy Azamantes.Posted Image

Viconia knows all about being Klonk.Posted Image

Viconia gets a +5 sling (Erinne) while Klonk um’s and ah’s before handing Ravager +6 to Sarevok. He bags Ixil’s upgraded spear and equips some extraordinary bracers. Valygar feels like he is missing out and decides to switch from Celestial Fury to Foebane +5 when not backstabbing (could be interesting with the axe offhanded but how often will I forget to switch).

Balls! The usual fun with a death tyrant, hive mother and elder orb. A group of devil shades and shadow fiends drain all three melee attackers and one lich survives the below (a mislead is killed instead) so is true sighted and destroyed properly.Posted Image

We rest in the pocket plane, then buff. Then buff some more. A bit more. One or two last buffs. A couple more.
(Did I mention Kronk died here - link indicating cold damage, buffed against cold this time)Posted Image

Klonk kills Aurumach Rilmani within a round and the Ferrumach Rilmani sims collapse like dominos as we race in two teams from one to the next to meet up at the far side in less than three rounds. Down we go to the final level where the Imprisoned One has much to say, and Odren acknowledges his deceit when confronted. His party move in and Klonk is given some options.

First he empties his Watchers Keep cache (can’t remember if you can get in afterwards) so the pantaloons are safe. Then he returns to the Imprisoned One, revealed as Demogorgon. We plan to confuse him in a reverse party order attack - the top three party members arriving from below while Sarevok, Jan and Viconia attack from above.

Jan and Imoen fail to insta-kill him so we do it the hard way. As soon as an attack lands Klonk, Valygar and Sarevok all GWW and down he goes (screenshot is messy as I ran out of room so last bit at top and melee fighters only took 5-10 damage each).Posted Image

(I think the party could have handled all of that without the traps but not worth risking in no-reload)

Blind_Visionary

Blind_Visionary
  • Members
  • 462 posts
Congratulations on surviving Watcher's Keep, Gate! I don't think I've ever seen a no-reloader do that before. Klonk is King!

Edited by Blind_Visionary, 17 May 2013 - 11:44 PM.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Well done Gate - nearly there!

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Absol, dwarven swashbuckler (Chapter 2)

Off to Umar Hills to get a beljuril and Ilbratha.  Stealthed past quite a few undead (even though no liches were there) to get to the Shade Lord.  He survived a sunray, but not a follow-up Daystar attack.  I felt a bit sorry for Thaxy, but not quite sorry enough to prevent me setting a killing field of traps around him.  However, I paid a penalty for doing that - Ras acted as a trigger to turn him hostile and dropped out of my backpack as a result.  I only noticed that after leaving the area and the sword had evaporated by the time Absol got back.

On to Windspear Hills to see what Firkraag had to say.  At the start of the dungeon attracted the attention of golems when I thought Absol was still invisible and he had to use a potion of invisibility to get away.

With the rest of the dungeon complete Absol tried out a full complement of traps on Firkraag, but they only got him to badly wounded (and Firkraag's fire resistance seemed to block any damage in succeeding rounds).  Absol only had a maximum of 40% fire resistance available so chose to run away and fight again another day.

{Note on resources: it might seem strange that Absol went to see Firkraag without any fire resistance, other than the ring just picked up from the rakshasa.  Viell started his run by stealing a full complement of equipment in Athkatla, but Absol hasn't done any stealing - partly to avoid being cheesy, but mainly just to save hassle.}

Stats (cont. from BG1)
Absol, swashbuckler L19, 82 HPs (incl. 7 from ioun stone), kills 522

Edited by Grond0, 18 May 2013 - 07:49 AM.

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,558 posts

Blind_Visionary wrote...

Congratulations on surviving Watcher's Keep, Gate! I don't think I've ever seen a no-reloader do that before. Klonk is King!

I'm sure there are plenty of those who made it in no-reload in the past. Vanilla Demogorgon is not that hard - even my first no-reload with cleric/illusionist was successful here and I found his final guardians much more challenging. SCS is another story of course...

Nonetheless impressive work, Gate! :happy: Stay focused in final chapters!

Edited by Serg BlackStrider, 18 May 2013 - 06:18 AM.

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
Vanilla demogorgon isn't that hard with the right tactics and equipment. Still shouldn't be underestimated.

The Ascension & SCS version is a lot tougher. I have enough disk space for another install but the plan it to try & NR the game without them first.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Absol, dwarven swashbuckler (Chapter 3)

Back in the city Absol started to work his way through some local tasks. First was Harper HQ for Xzar.  Then he swiftly completed the Mae'Var tasks, though refused the offer of a Guildhouse of his own.

Next was Mencar's party in the inn.  Preparations for that were spoiled when Mencar could see Absol, even though the reverse was not the case.  However, Bhaal horror got rid of Mencar and the efreeti and a few fireballs from the shadows helped finish the rest off.

Solved the skinner murders, though one of the Rune Assassins managed to survive 4 traps and get a backstab (only for 43) through a first use of his Ilbratha mirrors.

While doing the Sir Sarles quest Sansuki appealed for aid, but Absol strode quickly away.  He started the Lathander temple quest, before I realised I was getting sucked into doing unnecessary things and decided to do the Twisted Rune instead.  Viell was higher level here, with HLAs already available, and didn't need artificial assistance, but Absol used a scroll of magic protection.  With the Rune cleared he went on to the Guarded Compound while the scroll was still active.  He initially bypassed the downstairs crew and went to disarm the traps.  Amusingly the glabrezu followed him upstairs and got backstabbed by Ketta.  Took no risks with this lot - 14 necklace blasts from the shadows (taking it down to 1 charge) killed everyone except Olaf and Maferan and they lasted only seconds longer.

Absol should start on the main quest in the next session.

Stats (cont. from BG1)
Absol, swashbuckler L22, 89 HPs (incl. 8 from ioun stone), kills 584

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
With Watchers Keep completed Klonk and co head back to Nyalee with two hearts, one of which revives her memory and feelings enough for her to attack. Sarevok vorpals a nymph as Klonk halberds Nyalee and Valygar is playing hit-me with two shambling mounds - their massive attacks foiled by hardiness, Roranch and AoF (110% blunt resistance). Klonk kills a second nymph and the two mounds, noticing that Sarevok has been slowed and Valygar is hitting but not dealing a lot of damage.

A huge amount of trinkets, potions and gems are pocket planed, freeing our containers up massively. Imoen buys a spellstrike scroll but Jan memorises it before she can read it. They both stoneskin and we set out on the 8 hour journey to the siege camp. Viconia gets 6 chaotic commands and death wards active plus an area PfE. Valygar uses one of his AoF’s and we begin the search for Yaga Shura.

He disappears quickly but returns immediately, catching us on the hop (rats). After a tense couple of moments Sarevok staggers away badly wounded, followed by Klonk. Valygar stands his ground, allowing Imoen to de-buff a lt mage at the second attempt. We’re covered in insects but Valygar hangs on and kills a lt fighter, then the mage dies and a lt thief. We regroup for a second time and as Valygar holds his ground again Sarevok and Klonk glug potions then move to join him but Viconia uses an energy blade to kill the Bhaalspawn.

Melissan turns up to survey the scene (allowing a fire elemental and aerial servant some free attacks on Valygar).Posted Image

Valygar has been the hero of the day, so how fitting that he is the only one not to gain a level. The second pocket plane challenge is tackled cleanly too.Posted Image

Jamis Tombelthen puts up a heroic fight at the oasis, being boom-stunned before he can use the Answerer. On to Amkethran where a few minor jobs await. Viconia elects to become true-neutral and Sarevok is voicing similar thoughts about his future once his travels with Klonk reach a conclusion. Don’t get too far ahead of yourself Sarevok.

Vongoethe and his tables are cleared (plenty of vorpals with Ravager, Wave, air and fire staffs). We have more money than sense (wahey) so purchase Enkidu’s plate and the K’logoroth axe plus a few other items, and Valygar has picked up Montolio’s cloak.

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
Sendai next, the first job being to Clangeddin the Runehammer for Valygar.  Then we are guided to a Hive Mother (Klonked), followed by some graves. We tell the woodcutter it was fortunate for us that Jan had dropped a spike trap and he erupts in anger. Then he erupts in pain as Jan points out another four traps.

We speed through the enclave entrance to reach the drow barracks. Three GWW’s plus Sarevok’s vorpals should be enough to blend the room but Valygar adds an offhand vorpal too. Viconia grabs the amulet of cheetah speed and replaces the grandmaster armour with white dragon scale.

The slaves in the north tunnels can’t see us (Jan has cast invisibility 10’) so the slavemaster is quickly located and killed before Imoen turns us invisible and we retreat to check the south tunnels. Sarevok and Klonk are immune to poison so Valygar borrows K’logoroth to see what it can do. Not much it seems (as the two frontmen halberd everything to pieces before Valygar can throw it.

Jan postulates that Klonk is an overgrown dwarf; having started with 6 scroll cases, 5 gem bags, 3 potion cases, 2 bags of holding and an ammo belt we’ve scavenged everything dropped by the Sendai’ites.

A lich called Odamaron casts timestop after a spellstrike but before a remove magic / breach combo can get him. Klonk, Sarevok and Valygar are already in melee (having avoided the trapped step) so have to wait it out. This gives Valygar time to realise Celestial Fury is not the idea weapon and he switches to the Runehammer - only to vorpal it with his offhand axe of unyielding.Posted Image

Carsomyr is upgraded (last resort for Jan) as is Spectral Brand (Negative Plane protection when required). Ogremoch takes two breaches while Valygar stands with 110% blunt resistance. Diaytha and her group get short shrift (other than covering us with insects and Valygar running scared. We make progress piece by piece, upgrading the Firetooth crossbow and Angurvadal (another handy foil to level drain). A final rest and re-buff is taken before confronting Sendai.

All goes well, but as we pose for the death-portrait Valygar asks why Klonk is almost dead himself. Klonk thinks back and realises Sendai must have cast harm in her final moments.Posted Image

The third pocket plane challenge goes quite well.Posted Image

Klonk is wearing Wong Fei’s ioun stone now, added bonus is that his face is fully exposed.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Absol, dwarven swashbuckler (Chapter 4)

Absol paid Gaelan Bayle and did a couple of tasks for Aran to confirm the location of the vampire hide-out.  At the Graveyard I thought Nevin was going to lose out again when I originally wasted time on a sunray (although missing from the spell description this only works on hostiles), but Daystar chopped down Uncle Lester just in time to save him.

Absol had no defenses against level drain, so most of the vampires were killed with traps.  For Tanova Absol used his summons to finish off the simmy and then a couple of stealth shots interrupted a spell; while Tanova had her aura clouded he came in with a sunray to finish her off.  Bodhi shrugged off the 1,063 HP damage from a sunray to keep going for a couple more rounds, but eventually admitted defeat. 

Before leaving the graveyard there was just time to find a paladin a new daughter and rescue a citizen buried alive.

Releasing a kidnap victim earned Absol some more trousers.  He also regained Lathander's ring, spoke to the guard outside the circus tent and briefly returned to Trademeet to help Tiris (reputation back to 20).  A top-up from a couple of skeleton warriors in the Graveyard got him to level 24 and the HLA ability UAC (use any cheese).  With that he slightly adjusted his equipment and then reported in to Aran and took ship for Brynnlaw.

Stats (cont. from BG1)
Absol, swashbuckler L24, 100 HPs (incl. 5 from Helm, 10 from bracers), kills 624

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
Karthis al Hezzar hands Imoen 340k for some junk (50 katanas, 41 elven chain mails, etc). The lair of Abazigal stinks of dragon, Sarevok commenting that the foul reek of acid indicates a brown dragon is nearby. He equips the shadow dragon leather to complement his helm of the rock while Valygar readies a Darksteel shield. Imoen and Jan memorise a couple of protection from acid spells and we are ready.

Or not - who forgot to cast the protection from acid. Draconis in his human form is easy enough but we take a battering from his dragon form until two true sights, a spellstrike, warding whip and 2 breaches open him up to a triple GWWfest.Posted Image

(Planning was good, execution terrible. Klonk had to hide behind a pillar and glug 2 healing potions. Need to get my head together for the next bit)

Blind_Visionary

Blind_Visionary
  • Members
  • 462 posts
Klonk! Get your head together for the next bit! You're doing great, you've got momentum! (Watch out for those nasty dragons!)

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Absol, dwarven swashbuckler (Chapter 5)

Arriving in Brynnlaw Absol helped Ginia and then confronted Perth. This time there was no mercy shown - a first use of the flesh golem providing cover while he shot the mage down.  The book of infinite spells was useless - Absol turned over the fireball on the first page to find himself straight at the last page with burning hands!

No problems working through Spellhold.  Absol usually kept summons going in order to lead enemies onto traps or distract them while he sneaked in with Celestial Fury.  Before leaving he picked up some speedy boots (as well as some furry ones).

In the battle with Jon Absol used the WW just learned on his clone and a few of the dispelling arrows just found to keep Jon under control.

Stats (cont. from BG1)
Absol, swashbuckler L24, 100 HPs (incl. 5 from Helm, 10 from bracers), kills 624

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
A few buffs are applied before battering the huge door down with Draconis’ head (knock knock). Sarevok is clueless about the Angurvadal sword and Darksteel shield he is using but at least his armour class looks good (14) compared to usual and he is immune to level drain for a few moments. A greater werewyvern is Klonked just after entering the lair and Sarevok immediately switches back to the Ravager +6 to clean up some earth elementals before investigating some watery tunnels.

The party effort to kill some frost salamanders is skewed by Klonk Waving five of them. Sarevok vorpals a bone fiend as Valygar kills another and Jan mixes up a breath potion.

The next tunnel leads to olhydra’s and kuo-toa’s. A monk hands over a rope...and a hand which Cespenar uses to improve the Hindo’s Doom sword.

A third tunnel leads to an experimental cavern, while the party think they are buffed against fire Valygar has to retreat from the magical fires and Sarevok is caught out. Klonk is unaffected (cloak) so continues alone while a planetar raises Sarevok - but next to Klonk and he is killed again. Klonk returns to the party and Sarevok is raised again. Bondari is hired for the bargain price of 100gp, throwing in the bronze pantalettes too.

Klonk Waves a sequence of frost salamanders as Abazigal gives chase. Then we team up on him until he gives up the pretence of human form and transforms back into a dragon. It takes a little while to punch through his defences, but as our weapons bite a synchronised GWW is arranged.Posted Image

Imoen has a close call, Jan closer still - he’s dead. Imoen summons a planetar to raise and heal the party, then turns to Klonk “OK, I’m fed up of you learning about our spells on the fly. You could have asked Viconia to protect all six of us from lightning instead of assuming that spell turning & deflection would cure bad breath”. Fair point.Posted Image

Stats (change since last time I checked)

Klonk, berserker 31. 1434 kills, Bodhi. (+320)
Valygar, stalker 27. 787 kills, Saladrax. (+228)
Imoen, thief 12 > mage 23. 167 kills, Balor. (+33)
Jan, illusionist 17 / thief 22. 74 kills, Thax’llssillyia. (+26)
Viconia, cleric 21. 135 kills, Berenn. (+52)
Sarevok, Deathbringer 28. 191 kills, Hive Mother (+191)

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
Klonk takes the upgraded sword of grief but Sarevok suggests a swap - he has 5 pips in 2hs, only (only) 4 in halberd. The fourth pocket plane challenge looks easy, right until one of the favoured backstabs Viconia to within an inch of her life. She runs but Sarevok is next to her and lands a DA (text on left of screenshot).

Imoen collects a stoneskin backstab for no damage while Klonk laughs off another thanks to his Enkidu plate. The two remaining favoured stick around so Sarevok and Klonk each GWW resulting in another DA and a Ravager vorpal. Not very favoured today.Posted Image
Back Amkethran we kill a few monks, Sarevok noticing that Gram seems to cut through mage defences particularly easy (drains despite stoneskin if I’m not mistaken). We’re about to head inside when Klonk gets itchy pantaloons! To Kerrick the smith, and another huge argument with Klonk and Sarevok both drooling over the big metal unit. Klonk suggests Sarevok can try it against Balthazar. He enrages as Valygar and Sarevok GWW, and Balthazar is pounded into tiny fragments.
Posted Image

On to the Ravager. Valygar has to step back while Klonk is buffeted back. Both return for a 3rd GWW.
Posted Image

A final rest, then on to Melissan (although Viconia has a couple of nice things to say first). Sarevok wants to use the big metal unit but Klonk refuses and it is backpacked.

Melissan 1. Valygar is badly wounded but Melissan is forced to retreat after 1-2 rounds. Klonk throws potions of absorbtion, heroism and speed to Valygar and Sarevok. There is only one regeneration potion so Valygar quaffs it.
Pool 1. Klonk vorpals Yan-C-Bin, a couple of vampiric wraiths force non-proficient weapons for a few moments then the air elementals are blown away.

Melissan 2. Imoen breaches Melissan but Valygar is stunned (just noticed he was drained too so the wraiths must have got him). Viconia tries to remove the paralysis as Klong and Sarevok cast GWW. Melissan is too quick and Valygar is dead but a moment later and she retreats. Imoen summons a planetar to raise Valygar.

Pool 2. Imoen screams at Klonk for his lack of planning. Sarevok has grabbed boots of the north as Valygar protects him from cold - he will tackle Cryonax. Klonk is Waving frost salamanders as Viconia Croms Blizzard trolls. She steps back as Valygar moves in with the flail of ages but Klonk vorpals Cryonax.

Melissan 3. Klonk has glugged a superior healer and cast hardiness. Melissan teleports away but we follow. Viconia is chased by a shadow slayer, the planetar having killed three others. Melissan soon gives up.

Pool 3. Imoen and Jan cast improved haste on Klonk and Sarevok. The fallen solar, alu fiend and succubus are either mangled or vorpalled and two mariliths get remove magics one after the other.

Melissan 4. Imoen has breached Melissan within a second, and three GWW’s are in play. Klonk has to step back but he’s given Valygar and Sarevok space to have another GWW each. Melissan gives up.

(& Klonk chooses to stay mortal)

edit, & it wouldn't be right if Jan didn't have the last word...
Posted Image

Edited by Gate70, 18 May 2013 - 08:52 PM.

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,558 posts
Congratulations, Gate! Impressive run and at long last another trilogy success! :happy:
I hope it will now become a good tradition... 

Edited by Serg BlackStrider, 18 May 2013 - 08:26 PM.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Well done Gate - three cheers (and three pints) for Klonk.

Blind_Visionary

Blind_Visionary
  • Members
  • 462 posts
Here's to Klonk, King! Well done, Gate! Magnificent! How many times was Klonk down to his last hitpoint, and yet still pulled through....  amazing.

Edited by Blind_Visionary, 18 May 2013 - 08:49 PM.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
Congratulations Gate70! Klonk has been entered into the Hall of Heroes.

Thrar

Thrar
  • Members
  • 78 posts
Congratulations, and thanks for the very entertaining run!

Krazy Solo

Krazy Solo
  • Members
  • 194 posts
Daibhi, lvl 9 Sorcerer - Update
--------------------------------------------
Clearence of Circus was a breeze only took 10 mins at the most it seemed. Moved on to slums into chapter 2. Head to government district no ambush grab the quest to hunt a murderer. Went to the Dock to investigate turns out the man i'm looking for in Umar Hills. Head to Gate district no ambushes again. Went to Umar Hills fought a few cats talke to Valygar, Joined the Party. Dropped Misnc. Head back to Slums went to the tavern, Talked to Anomen had him join dropped Jaheira, Now the party is set until Spellhold when Imoen will replace Yoshimo. As you can tell I decided to go with the smaller 4 man squad. Its more comfortable and easier for me to use my covert tactics without having party members messing things up. Freed the slaves, made easy work of the Beastmaster which was a shock in itself. This is where I last stopped as I found if i play too long I tend to rush things. For now 1 to 2 hours play session should keep me from rushing into danger often. I'm a bit surprise my spell choices are pretty solid so far. No luck on finding a familiar scroll atm. Not that I'm worried about HP as I managed to start with 50 so hp as a Sorcerer.

Next update will be clearing of the slavers den and the sewers beneath the slums. Most likely will actually tackle the situation Nalia asked for help with. Will most likely clear De'arnise as well. My only concern is lack of use for the Flail of Ages, Hopefully Anomen or Valygar will beable to use it sooner than later.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Absol, dwarven swashbuckler (Chapter 6)

Back in Brynnlaw Absol sold some equipment and bought a couple of scrolls - immediately using find familiar to produce a pet cat.  He took ship with Saemon and arrived in a fishy city, where he picked up the spiffy Cloak of Mirroring.  I had intended to kill the king for the prince, but on arriving at the prince's hide-out realised Absol hadn't talked to the priestess.  He went to get the orb, but it appeared to be too late as the prince was hostile when Absol returned there and had to be treated with extreme prejudice.

In the Underdark Absol visited a merchant and then used a freedom scroll to stage a prison break-out for a mage.  On his instructions Absol headed north through groups of drow (pulling them back one or two at a time) and myconids (mainly fireballs) to a deep gnome village.  The balor survived 4 or 5 traps, but fell to a boom-stun.  Before giving the mage his book Absol released more prisoners from a giant soul gem (Raevelin Strathi being webbed by Kitthix, while Alchra Diaggott surprisingly proved vulnerable to +1 arrows).  After using his summons to ensure the elementals didn't kill Vithal, Absol kept the mage at range to avoid any touch spells bypassing his protections.  His loot included a nice time stop spell to complement Absol's time-stop trap.

After beating down another group of drow Absol talked to Adalon and left her with a few presents on the ground before going on into the drow city - unlike my last run here I didn't say I was from Adalon this time!

Stats (cont. from BG1)
Absol, swashbuckler L30, 124 HPs (incl. 5 from Helm, 10 from bracers, 12 from familiar), kills 889

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Gate70/Grond0 Multiplayer attempt 22 - (update 6)
Rose, human stalker (Grond0) & Grub, halfling assassin (Gate70)

The duo did some good work yesterday in an interesting session of walking the tightrope.  Both are vulnerable (Grub with poor AC and low HPs and Rose with poor saving throws) so have to be careful to take advantage of their strengths.

At the troll mound Rose thought he would see how effective the rat form would be at soaking up damage from several attackers.  The answer was very effective, but unfortunately one of them was a spirit troll.  Surprisingly it's strength drain could not be counter-acted by a giant strength potion and Rose had to use a potion of invisibility.

After progressing near to the Grove the duo's attack on Dalok was a bit un-coordinated.  As a result both were hit with a call lightning from the druid there, but they survived to watch Cernd tear apart Faldorn.

On arrival back at Trademeet Delon was waiting with news of a ogron assault in Umar Hills and Rose & Grub hurried to deal with that before returning to Trademeet to help Tiris and clear the tomb there.

Next on the target list was the last external area - Windspear Hills.  Rose expected Grub to triumphantly produce the acorns from his pack, but for once Gate70 had proved as forgetful as Grond0 and the trees will have to wait a bit longer.

In the dungeon the first little glitch was Grub's desire to get up close and personal with a vampire mist - he got drained a level as a result (and we had no scrolls of restoration).  However, the main problem encountered was the golems.  The first group caused a fair amount of damage, although Grub found a nice solution to one of them by attacking it from the balcony used by the orc archers.  The vampires mainly evaporated in a sunray, while Samia's crew and the werewolves didn't like Grub's traps.  The golems in an enclosure also caused problems.  Both characters got hit when trying to backstab and run away.  Rose's backstabs didn't work anyway; Grub's did, but he was a bit disgruntled to only do 5 from a sextuple damage backstab and returned to throwing darts at the adamantite golem.  Firkraag took relatively light damage from traps thanks to his fire immunity, but still died immediately when backstab damage was factored in.

Emerging from the dungeon Rose was again called to return to Umar Hills.  As he wasn't sure how far time was of the essence the duo did so immediately - and Grub had to wait a bit longer to have his level drain treated.  In the temple ruins various undead felt easy, but the glabrezu did not.  We weren't quite sure what spell abilities it had, but it was doing too much damage with its vampiric touch to leave at range (and it sees through invisibility).  Hence Rose bit the bullet and came in to melee it.  The Umar witch was no problem - failing to survive a Grub backstab.  A grateful town presented their favourite ranger with a moon dog figurine.

Back in Athkatla Grub was finally able to visit a temple and not only restore his missing level, but pick up 2 new ones as well.  He celebrated by taking the lead in the sewers. Tarnor saw him initially, but Grub faded back into the shadows and set up a line of traps before using poisoned bullets to encourage the would-be ambushers to investigate it.  Only 1 of them succeeded in getting to the end of the traps and they met a Rose with thorns.

The sewer illithids also proved ticklish.  That was particularly so for Grub who initially tried a backstab in the first room.  He got boxed in and was almost dead when Rose, hurrying in from the next room, lobbed him a potion of invisibility over the enemies' heads.  After that the duo reverted essentially to using traps and stealth shots to clear the rest of the illithids safely.

The final action was against Mekrath.  His initial buffs included protection from normal weapons - which didn't prove too useful to him (particularly after being webbed by Kitthix).  The yuan-ti mages were encouraged to attack a series of summons at close quarters.  After they had fought them off, using a lightning bolt and 2 skull traps among other attacks, only one mage and one greater yuan-ti were left (both at near death) for Rose & Grub to clean up.

Stats (cont. from BG1)
Rose, stalker L15, 121 HPs (incl. 5 from Helm), 665 kills (+187)
Grub, assassin L19, 79 HPs (incl. 7 from ioun stone), 300 kills (+86), 3 deaths

Edited by Grond0, 19 May 2013 - 06:38 AM.

Easymask

Easymask
  • Members
  • 238 posts
Greetings and salutations one and all! 

"It will be the darkest day you've ever seen, the day I don't have what you need!"

I would like to introduce to you, the party of Auberyn the Skald and their adventures from Irenicus' dungeon and henceforth.

Mods

Tweaks & Changes:
BG2 Tweeks (no cheese, no game-changing rule changes)
SCS II (no cheese, no game-changing rule changes)

NPCs:
Angelo
Kivan
Tyrisflare
(Any and all equipment they carry will be dropped(not sold) if they are in my opinion overpowered, like Kivan's cloak).

Rules:
I will follow the rules and guidelines as listed for this challenge, I will not grant my party max HP pr. level though I will adjust the slider for scribing spells. The game difficulty will be AD&D Core Rules.

And so it begins..

The changes to Irenicus' dungeon made the initial dungeon crawl *quite* difficult for my party. I understood that resting was not possible, so Auberyn, Jaheira, Minsc and Imoen had to use their spells and potions wisely.

With Illych dead, we where in need of potions to heal everyone back up. I had saved a haste spell and some other abilities for what evil might have been ahead of us (I have never played with this change before, so I had no idea what to expect. The fact that I could not rest was perhaps the most difficult change). Alas, Jaheira was slain when I went to clear out the Clay Golems (I did not want to fight both of them at the same time, when the bell rings) - and soon thereafter Imoen fled when she was close to death. Yoshimo was killed by a backstabbing assassin close to the exit, but in the end we prevailed

The party have just cleared the Circus after enlisting the aid for both Kivan and Aerie. Who Auberyn will bring with him I haven't decided yet though. We shall see.

Good luck out there everyone!

Edited by Easymask, 19 May 2013 - 02:51 PM.