Baldur's Gate 2 No-Reload Challenge

• Please log in to reply
15228 replies to this topic

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts
Alisa, Half-Elven Jester: The Return to Amkethran

Well, I'm not really sure why I said I'd post on Alisa's return to Amkethran, because there really isn't much to say about it...

Upon arrival, Alisa said hello to the cows and gave them a pet. She then proceeded to kill a whole lot of people.
Posted Image

Despite her monkicidal rampage, she somehow managed to make a new friend: Perhaps the cows put in a good word for her?
Posted Image

Following her sitdown with Balthy, Alisa finished up her Pocket Plane Challenges. Her clone, the Slayer, and Cyric's Favored will all dropped Tensered under ProMW. The Ravager, on the other hand, was killed at range with The Reflex in the offhand as per usual.
Posted Image

Alisa is now in her Pocket Plane working out her strategy for the endgame. She'll likely make her entrance at The Throne later this evening. Wish her luck!

Best,

A.

Edited by Alesia_BH, 10 June 2013 - 07:35 PM.

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
Edit: Good luck.

Blind_Visionary wrote...
Gate, the Saints/Sinners approach is super interesting! And creative! Bravo! Are you planning on keeping their progress more-or-less parallel?

I didn't start with that idea but I'm finding doing the two together is keeping my attention level higher than normal. So yes I will be trying to keep the runs / jobs similar until one or both go belly up.

Trog (Barbarian) / Viconia / Edwin / Korgan
Rumour has it that there is trouble in the sewers, and where there is trouble Korgan can smell an opportunity for money. Tarnor the Hatchetman is in the wrong place at the wrong time, and suffers another remove magic / breach combo before doom, silence and hold add to his woes.
Posted Image

Edited by Gate70, 10 June 2013 - 08:50 PM.

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
Anomen / Mazzy / Mayhem (wild mage) / Aerie / Nalia / Jaheira : Paragons
Mazzy straight-out accuses Mekrath of lying and he attacks us. We’re out of de-buffing spells thanks to Tarnor (must review spellbooks) so treat him to the FoA and some Melfy Acid Arrows. The flesh golem pounds some yuan-ti before vanishing and a gnoll plus the berserk warrior continue until Anomen and Mazzy arrive to complete the job. Nalia can’t remove a trap on an altar and a slight misclick sees her activate it before adding a MGoI. The dire charm wears off after a short while and we head back to Raelis Shai, agreeing to help the order of the Radiant Heart and informing lt Aegisfield of progress on our way.

A messenger is waiting for Nalia inside the inn, so we must head to a funeral instead of returning to Raelis.

Trog (Barbarian) / Korgan / Edwin  / Viconia  : Renegades
Trog wheedles some information from Mekrath before we kill him. Haer’dalis is given a head start, as long as it takes us to kill an imp and a lesser earth elemental. Sir Ryan Trawl turns his nose up at us, we leave peacefully for now but all sorts of schemes are erupting from Edwina so an eventual return may happen. Lt Aegisfield is another reminder of our failings, realising we should have used him as bait to lure Rejeik Hidesman out (no excuse, I knew all about that so must try harder at this evil lark).

Blind_Visionary

Blind_Visionary
  • Members
  • 462 posts
Best of luck with the Throne, Alisa! Godhood awaits!

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts
Posted Image

Posted Image

Due to extended irenicus' dungeon, I had to fight Sarevok and his allies again. Divide and conquer did the trick.

Posted Image

Summoned Elite Hobgoblins used poison to great effect.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Brute force worked against Sarevok.

Posted Image

Against the Time Assassins brute force once they showed themselves was the order of the day.

Posted Image

Under the Copper Coronet, more respect should have been shown. Nevertheless Dragonslayer survived.

Posted Image

The slavers should have been treated with more respect!

Posted Image

After using improved invisibility and summoned insects, Faldorn was no problem.

Posted Image

Rescued one servant at the D'Arnise keep.

Posted Image

Rescued a second servant and then cleared that level of trolls.

Edited by Grimwald the Wise, 11 June 2013 - 06:14 AM.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
Corgrunt the Half-Orc Fighter entering BG 2/ToB portion of Trilogy no-reload challenge...
Traveling with: Minsc, Jaheira, Yoshimo, Anomen, Nalia

Posted Image

Corgrunt and his nearby fellow captives managed to fight their way out of Irenicus' Dungeon. They even managed to take out the vampire, which I usually fail to kill...

Corgrunt stopped by the Copper Coronet and picked up the group's final members, Anomen and Nalia. Corgrunt decided they need more armor for the trolls at Nalia's Keep, and theres a bandit group that can greatly increase the party's equipment if the team can defeat them. Really, Nalia, can do almost all the work, she just needs invisibility, greater malison and emotion - we purchase these at Waukeen's Promenade, rest and head to the Temple District Sewers.

Taking no chances, two skeletons were summoned, as well as CC and death ward and resist fear on Corgrunt. Then Nalia went invisible, saw some bandits, backed off a ways out of sight, and cast the following spells out of sight (at the ground) in the following order: web x2, cloudkill, great malison, emotion, cloudkill, fireball. At the very beginning of this sequence, Jaheira had a single spell to help with, an entangle. The spells went off for a while and then Gauis cast something, but it got resisted whatever it was. The girls backed off... and Gauis couldn't escape the cloudkills and the team was victorious!

Unsurprisingly, there were mass upgrades in the loot. Corgrunt AC is now -8, Jaheira -4 - we good to go for some trolls. Even a magic throwing axe for Corgrunt.

Now we need a melee weapon to kill trolls then the team will be ready for the keep. Stonefire seemed like a reasonable choice, so the team frees Hendak and the other slaves - no problem at all, partly due to Nalia once again doing the same web/cloudkill trick on the Beastmaster, which allowed single pulls of the remaining monsters.

We got to the edge of the slums and ended out session - will TRY to get to Nalia's Keep (though am sure will be a number of ambushes before we will make it there).

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts
Quick Note on Alisa's Game:

Sadly, I may have to declare Alisa's battle with Mel a stalemate. Alisa has defeated The Five and is now dueling Mel. The plan had been to wear Mel down gradually using the Sling of Seeking and Wand of Frost as per my bounty hunter's run. Unfortunately, Mel is behaving differently this time and that strategy no longer looks viable. The distinction is that this time Mel is routinely using Divine Cleansing to full heal herself, rendering the sling/wand approach unworkable.

I'm not entirely sure what triggered the change in behavior, but it appears that applying a status effect to Mel at any point in the battle activates subsequent repeated use of Divine Cleansing. And once Mel starts using it, she doesn't stop. I had noticed Divine Cleansing in Alicia's run following application of PW:B. It didn't end up being tactically relevant in that case, however, because Alicia had the firepower to finish Mel within a few rounds. Alisa - who I believe unwittingly triggered Divine Cleansing casts via a Lower Resistance scroll- lacks that firepower. The tragedy of all this is that the LR cast was completely unnecessary: Alisa would have been perfectly capable of finishing Mel without it. But now having used it, the battle seems unwinnable.

At this point, I'm considering retiring her or, in the alternative, giving her a shot at a buffed melee stand against Mel. Given the current state of her resources, I seriously doubt that will work. I suppose the question now is really whether death is preferable to an eternity of playing catch-me-if-you-can with Mel. I'm undecided.

In any event, I'll let you know how it all turns out.

Best,

A.

Edited by Alesia_BH, 11 June 2013 - 10:26 AM.

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts
At least you know enough about the game to have some idea about what has gone wrong Alesia.

I wouldn't have had a clue!

Usually when my runs end, I don't even know what killed me!

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts
Quick Note on Alisa's Game:

Remember my tale of woe? Well, you can forget about it: Alisa has composed a merrier end to her adventure. She has defeated Melissan in a courageous stand and has earned herself a new nickname: She who laughs last.
Posted Image

I'll post on Alisa's battles at The Throne soon. But for now, I need some sleep!

Best,

A.

Edited by Alesia_BH, 11 June 2013 - 11:04 AM.

ussnorway

ussnorway
  • Members
  • 2,350 posts
Yippee I do so love a happy ending!

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,558 posts
Congrats, Alesia!!! I was so feared from your previous post that you could retire Alisa that now I'm double-joyed. Hooray to Alisa and free ale to everyone! :wizard: 

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts
Thanks Serg and USSNorway!

It turns out buffed Alisa can pretty much dominate Mel: I was just being chicken (which, as many of you may have noticed, I tend to do...). I'm pretty confident that Alisa could safely do the battle on Insane with the right strategy. I may do a little epilogue on that. Later though. Sleep remains the priority now.

Best,

A.

Edit: Alisa kindly thanks you for the ale Serg, and hopes to be toasting The Avatars soon!

Edited by Alesia_BH, 11 June 2013 - 11:19 AM.

saros_shadow_follower

saros_shadow_follower
  • Members
  • 309 posts
Congratulations, Alesia! Would surely love to see how you made it through the stalemate!

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts

Alesia_BH wrote...

Thanks Serg and USSNorway!

It turns out buffed Alisa can pretty much dominate Mel: I was just being chicken (which, as many of you may have noticed, I tend to do...). I'm pretty confident that Alisa could safely do the battle on Insane with the right strategy. I may do a little epilogue on that. Later though. Sleep remains the priority now.

Best,

A.

Edit: Alisa kindly thanks you for the ale Serg, and hopes to be toasting The Avatars soon!

Looking forward to hearing the rest. :)

Slight update on Grimwald Wyrmslayer. Cleared the golems and the trolls at D'Arnise and then suddenly realised that there was no cloudkill in any spellbooks. returned to Amn, bought two, one for Wyrmslayer and one for Nalia only to be interupted with a message for Anomen. Off to his fathers' house next and then back to try and put an end to the D'Arnise quest. At last!

Not playing this too well, but at least nobody in the party has died!

Posted Image

Glacius rescued with web, and remove curse. :)

Posted Image

Golems killed. :)

Edited by Grimwald the Wise, 11 June 2013 - 11:59 AM.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts
Alisa v. Ascension Irenicus

I thought I'd quickly dart off a post on Alisa's battle with Ascension Irenicus before taking my snooze. 

This was a pretty straightforward fight for Alisa due in large part to her predecessors, notably Alesia and Alicia: Alisa prevailed with ease by using a medley of their tactics. And while Balthazar exited stage left in record time, Alisa was on balance pleased with her performance.

The Plan: Use scrolls to set Spell Trigger: Sunfire x3; Chain Contingency: Hit- Sunfire x 3; Contingency: Hit- Sunfire. Buff with Stoneskins, Protection from Energy, Protection from Acid, Protection from Fire, Protection from Cold, Potion of Heroism, Oil of Speed, Potion of Invulnerability, Spell Shield, Spell Deflection, Resist Fear, Blur, Mirror Image, Improved Invisibility, Spell Immunity: Abjuration, Spell Immunity: Divination. Enter the fray with The Defender and the Sling of Seeking in the main hand slots and The Reflex in the off. Keep Gessen and the Asp's Nest at the ready.

When the battle begins, move left towards Bodhi, Irenicus, and Fallen Solar 1. Send Balthazar away and try to keep a good distance from Imoen. When Balthy is clear -and preferably Imoen as well- pull the Sunfire x 3 Spell Trigger- with the understanding that that, in turn, will trigger the Sunfire x 3 Chain and the single Sunfire Contingency. The blast should incinerate Bodhi, the Fallen Solar, and Jon's illusions. Irenicus himself will likely survive- along with the eastern, fire resistant Solar.

Jon will undoubtedly be running Abjuration school weapon defenses at this stage. Bide your time. When an opportunity arises, launch Arrows of Dispelling and then follow with the Asp's Nest. Once Jon's casting is shut down, finish him at range.

By this point, only the Fallen Solar will remain. Finish her with traps to work around her infinite heals. With luck, Balthazar will have survived her Vorpal arrows and will be ready to accompany you to the demon battles.

Execution: The battle went according to plan. Luck was not on Balthazar's side, however: he was vorapalled within seconds.

Here we see Alisa executing her opening. Kaboom! (Imoen, thankfully, survived.)
Posted Image

While Alisa was executing her opening, Balthazar was busy getting executed. Sorry balthy. Maybe I should have sent you west or south...
Posted Image

Jon-Jon's Time Stop consisted of a futile attempt to debuff Alisa.
Posted Image

And when his ProMW wore off, Alisa went to work. Arrow of Dispelling first...
Posted Image

Casting shut down with the Asp's Nest...
Posted Image

Ranged finish (note that Alisa had been tagged with Mordekain's Disjunction at this point- hence the lack of buffs)
Posted Image

Only the eastern Solar remained. A Time Trap assault brought her down to Badly Injured.
Posted Image

A Spike Trap finished her.
Posted Image

And that was that: Alisa was off to the Demon Battles- singing an elegy for Balthazar perhaps, but nonetheless content.

I'll cover the Demon Battle and Alisa's showdown with Mel later in the day.

Best,

A. 

Edited by Alesia_BH, 11 June 2013 - 12:29 PM.

Shadow_Leech07

Shadow_Leech07
  • Members
  • 553 posts
Congrats on the victory Alesia! Very useful information as well...thank you!

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts
Alisa, Half-Elven Jester: The Demon Battles

Ok. Since I don't seem to be sleeping, I might as well post on the demon battles. These were pretty awkward truth be told. I wasn't realy thinking things through at this stage and was instead playing on auto-pilot. I made some foolish mistakes and managed Alisa's abilities poorly. Fortunately, she prevailed despite my ineptitude.

Demon Battle I

Heading into Demon Battle I, Alisa had a largely tapped spellbook but a respectable selection of traps: 4 Time and 3 Spike. To make those go further, I decided to have her bring her Vhailor Simmy into the action- letting the simmy lay down the traps and attack during the resultant Time Stop. That made sense, but I made a laughable error: I neglected to switch up Alisa's weapon slots before calling the simmy- yielding a simmy with a max APR of 2 rather than 6 or 8. That's a big difference. I felt fortunate when the simmy nonetheless managed to end a Glabrezu and the Balor- with the Spike Traps doing the heavy lifting in the latter case.
Posted Image

Tensered but lacking ProEnergy and with Nabassus on the field, Alisa chose to end the remaining demons at range. She used the sling and movement at first.
Posted Image

But when a protective layer of skeletons amassed around her, she parked and switched to K'Logorath. Having foregone casting Breach throughout most of her adventure in the interest of stockpiling scrolls for the endgame, Alisa was free to Breach away against the Mariliths.
Posted Image

Last demon.
Posted Image

Demon Battle II

Before touching the pool and refreshing her abilities, Alisa set the 4 Time Traps and 3 Spike Traps that she had entered the Demon Battles with. They were still available to her, of course, because it was the simmy not Alisa that had set the traps prior to Demon Battle I. Most of the demons were chunked in black and white.
Posted Image

While the Marilith was induced to Teleport Without Error to her doom.
Posted Image

A pair of Babaus had refused to reveal themselves, but Alisa detected one by bumping into him and then revealed him with Dragonslayer Detect Invisibility.
Posted Image

The second Babau was harder to find since, unlike the other, he hadn't been following Alisa. Her song proved handy here. Since the Jester's Song forced a save roll each round, the presence of nearby foes is indicated in the battle record- making it a skifty way of detecting the presence of invisible foes.
Posted Image

Once Alisa knew her was near, she activated Jan's Spectroscopes and then finished him.
Posted Image

Demon Battle III

The pool after Demon Battle II does not refreah abilities on core. And since Alisa wanted a full set of Time Traps for use after Demon Battle III but before calming the pool, her simmy was put to use again- this time properly equipped.
Posted Image

A touch of Tensered melee was all it took to finish up the stragglers.
Posted Image

Next up: Mel and The Five

Best,

A.

Edited by Alesia_BH, 11 June 2013 - 02:39 PM.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

Shadow_Leech07 wrote...

Congrats on the victory Alesia! Very useful information as well...thank you!

Thanks Shadow_Leech!

Btw. Which part did you find useful? The comments about what may have triggered Mel's Divine Cleansing casts? To be clear, I'm not entirely certain of the mechanics there yet. The status effect trigger proposal is merely a working hypothesis: I'm still not entirely certain why Mel did it to Alicia and Alisa but not Alesia or Abigail. I'll let you know if and when I do some testing. And even then, note that your script may be different if you have a different version of SCS installed.

Best,

A. 

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
@Alesia_BH: Congratulations on a well-deserved victory. Alisa has been entered into the Hall of Heroes. My only question that I'm not sure about, was she playing on Core Rules?

angiras108

angiras108
  • Members
  • 76 posts
Alesia_BH, congratulations on yet another successful trilogy no-reload. I dont have much time to play these days, but from time to time I still lurk on the boards here.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

corey_russell wrote...

@Alesia_BH: Congratulations on a well-deserved victory. Alisa has been entered into the Hall of Heroes. My only question that I'm not sure about, was she playing on Core Rules?

Thanks Corey! 

(And yes: It was a Core run.)

angiras108 wrote...

Alesia_BH, congratulations on yet another successful trilogy no-reload. I dont have much time to play these days, but from time to time I still lurk on the boards here.

It's good to hear from you Angiras. Thanks for the congrats. If you do find some time to play, I'll be happy to return the favor. :)

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts
Alisa v. Mel and The Five (or The Battle That Shouldn't Have Been)

Following my bounty hunter's nearly successful Trilogy No Reload, I let her redo the fight, and then posted an epilogue covering the successful redo entitled The Battle That Should Have Been. This post is more-or-less the opposite of that one. This post marks the end of a sucessful trilogy run, but there is nothing remotely ideal here: this victory shouldn't have happened. Due to some bumbling on my part, Alisa was forced to make an incredibly improbable escape from near certain death through clever improvisation. And in the end, my little bard was forced into toe-to-toe melee against an uninjured, unhampered Melissan with a dirth of scrolls, inadequate buffs, and a narrow time window in which to suceed. Life from the jaws of death, victory from the maw of defeat: Tymora must have been watching. And she must love a good tune.

This fight shouldn't have happened in the sense that the outcome was improbable. But it also shouldn't have happened in another sense: I seriously misplayed Alisa's hand in this fight. Truthfully, this should have been a straightforward solo for Alisa. And knowing what I know now, I'm confident I could breeze her through even on a higher difficulty setting. But one of my weaknessses as a player -my tendancy to evade at the expense of pressing every advantage- made life far more difficult for Alisa- as it has for some of my other characters in the past. I'm thankful Alisa survived my folly and lives to tell the tale.

Onto the battle. The Five phase of the fight went reasonably well. Alisa had taken her buffs and set her Time Traps before calming the third pool. Once the battle began, the Time Traps tripped, and Alisa was free to choose her victim. She picked Sendai- due in part to her desire to recover her two full heal potions. That proved to be a wise move.  
Posted Image

Sendai's death triggered Mel's arrival. Her Time Stop was countered with a focus and Alisa chose to get aggressive- dropping Sarevok first and then quickly following up with a Time Stop of her own. Yaga fell to the Chaos Blade.
Posted Image

Illasera to Scarlet Ninja To + Belm.
Posted Image

At this point, I was tempted to let Alisa read another Time Stop scroll while Mel was disabled. But since Mel had applied a spell casting failure effect -leaving me unwilling to attempt casting ProMW- I chose to wait. This was arguably a mistake, but not a terribly costly one: Mel furnished an opportunity to take Gromnir down soon enough.
Posted Image

And Abazgial followed soon after. Ranged attacks removed his Skins and did most of the damage.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Alisa even found time to refresh her buffs in the process. She tried to run at least Spell Shield+MSD+Stoneskins+Potion of Magic Shielding at all times during the battle. This wasn't always possible though.
Posted Image

Badly Injured by Alisa's sling, Abazigal was finally finished with the Scarlet Ninja To during yet another Mel Time Stop.
Posted Image

The Five were dead. Mel was mortal. That's when the drama began.
Posted Image

I'll post on Alisa's duel with Mel soon.

Best,

A.

Edited by Alesia_BH, 16 June 2013 - 06:15 PM.

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,558 posts

Alesia_BH wrote...
Alisa kindly thanks you for the ale Serg, and hopes to be toasting The Avatars soon!

Thanks for the encouragement, Alesia :) but I'm not sure if it will be soon enough (if at all...:huh:). I still never ever finished SCSII Ascension setup per se - my pre-Avatars Priest of Helm ->Mage is hanged in WK level 1 at the moment. Of course I always try to thoroughly study all available sources of information (and your messages are one of the priorities, even though lacking the Watcher's Keep section, which I definitely intend to inspect) about such setup but you know - the first time is always the first time...

BTW, what are your plans for now? May be it's time to blow the dust from your Avatars?;) If you will decide so and will need any help in transfering them into the SoA just send me your WeiDU and final save and it will not take too much time to make similar setup and perform that transfer.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts
Alisa v Melissan (or The Battle That Shouldn't Have Been): Part 2

Heading into the final showdown with Mel, the plan was simple: execute Alesia's finish as described in the quote below.

The Plan: The plan for Mel was described earlier, but I'll do so again here. Keep it simple, stay safe. Keep out of Melee contact with Mel. injure her from a distance using the Wand of Frost and Sling Bullets. Resist the temptation to Breach her or lower her Magic Resistance. Doing so would provide transitent advantages, but ultmately, it would just complicate the fight and decrease the likelihood of missing a Focus. Every Focus must be hit. That is the highest priority. In addition, saves must be maintained in the highly negative range at all times with Potions of Invulnerabilty, Potions of Magic Shielding, and Potions of Stone Form. Check saves each time your come into melee contact with Mel (her Staff lowers saves on hit) and counter as appropriate. Damage must be managed as well. Never let HP total get into PW:K range- that's a recipe for death. At the same time, don't heal over-zealously: you need a clear Aura when she says "praeses." Rember to use the Tree of Life nuts or Sendai's Homebrew if you get seriously injured.

Note the underlined portion. The basic logic here remained compelling to me: injudicious use of aura can invite disaster when finishing Mel. However, now that I'm more comfotable with the mechanics of the fight, I can recognize more opportunities for safe aura use. Lowering Mel's magic resistance to make the Wand of Frost blast a touch more effective seemed to make more sense to me. What I didn't anticipate was that a slight change in Alisa's behavior might induce a response from Mel that could undermine the whole plan. That's what happened though.

Here we see the very begining of the fight: Alisa going to work with her sling and the Wand of Frost- just like Alesia had.
Posted Image

Every Time Stop was countered with a Focus, every opportunity to injure Mel was taken. She was hit over and over again; not hard but hit- just like Alesia. There was only one difference: this time Mel wasn't dying. Hours into the fight, Mel was at full health. Divine Cleansing was the cause.

This went on for what seemed like ages. Then disaster struck. Earlier in the battle, I noticed that the movement physics over by Sarevok's corpse were a bit odd. It was almost as though the engine was treating Sarevok as if he were still there. Perhaps it was: whenever Alisa released a Wand of Frost blast in that area, a magic resistance check for Sarevok appeared in the battle record. I had made a point of being careful there for much of the fight but then I made the error that should have gotten Alisa killed: she was trapped between Mel and Sarevok's Ghost.

Alisa was knocked unconscious- her Stoneskins were peeled and the damage started adding up. Death seemed certain. But with two hitpoints left she got back on her feet and read an Absolute Immunity scroll. She was still alive. But she was trapped and had a full round to wait before she could use her aura again. What now?
Posted Image

Considering her options, I figured the four rounds of Absolute Immunity would give her just enough time to execute Full Heal (via Sendai's homebrew)->Shapechange (via scroll)->Shangechange: Iron Golem. The logic here being that the shift to the larger footprint would cause the engine to kick Alisa over to the other side of Sarevok's corpse. It had a chance to work, but only a chance: a quick PW:K or a later Breach could have ended Alisa in an instant.

The round spent waiting for Alisa's aura to clear seemed like an eternity. I breathed a huge sigh of relief when Alisa quaffed Sendai's Homebrew.
Posted Image

That was followed by even greater relief when Iron Golem Alisa emerged free and in full health on the otherside of Sarevok's Ghost.
Posted Image

She dashed into the open grateful for her second chance at life. There was only one problem: Mel still wasn't dying.
Posted Image

Frustrated, I deployed my characteristic response to adversity: I gave up and went to sleep.  

That worked fine for me- I would have been happy enough to go on with my life. But when I awoke and brightened the screen on my laptop, I saw Alisa still standing there. She hadn't given up: She was still waiting for her chance at heroism. I thought of coffee and breakfast first, but Alisa's thumbnail sized avatar imposed her will: we were back in the fray.

But how would we fight -surely not as we had: that clearly didn't work. Desperate, I reached into Alisa's Bag of Holding and pulled out a Protection from Magic scroll. Perhaps applying it to Mel would prevent Divine Cleansing? Despite the fact that I normally consider Pro Magic scroll use out of bounds, I was willing to give it a try: No luck. Mel still had access to her full range of spells and now enjoyed a skifty buff. What else is in that bag? Perhaps something that won't make Mel even more powerful?

Alisa was going to have to deal damage fast and that meant melee. Her book was largely tapped, but she had a pair of Tenser's scrolls and a few Improved Haste charges- not to mention a few Potions of Storm Giant Strength. Ok: but what about defense? One Absolute Immunity scroll, no ProMWs left. Plenty of Stoneskins, but Mel's APR is excellent and her spear raises saves on hit while also disabling. We could get the AC low enough to make her miss on occassion, but she'll still be hitting regularly. Counter the save raises with repeated Potion of Magic Shielding quaffs? Could work. I was skeptical but the alternative was giving up, and Alisa wouldn't have it.

Timing would be important. Tenser's would prevent use of Focus which is why I had ruled it out untill reaching the point of desperation. The relatively short duration of the scroll based version would be helpful here but it would still be best to activate Tenser's at the very begining of a Mel Time Stop- after having layered on the other key buffs. It would also be best to begin the assault shortly after Divine Cleansing had been used- insuring that it won't be available in mid assault. 

After gradually taking her buffs, Alisa waited for a Divine Cleansing and then pulled back from Mel to trigger a Time Stop. She activated Focus and readied her Absolute Immunity andTenser's scrolls.
Posted Image

The melee dual began just as Mel's Time Stop ended. And while Alisa's offhand Ninja To weapon was ineffective, Foebane did good damage.
Posted Image

Sadly, I do not have many screenshots from this phase: I tend not to take pics when battles feel out of control. Alisa had a few glorious rounds of free hits on Mel. And while she was disappointed to see that Foebane wasn't adding to her HP totals, she was pleasantly surprised with the damage: Mel was quickly brought down to Injured. As Absolute Immunity faded, Mel's spear started working through Alisa's Skins- and even more worryingly her saves. Her Tensered hitpoint total and initial Potion of Magic Shielding kept her out of the danger zone, but before long she was approaching the Power Word threshold. Alisa used Sendai's Homebrew. Mel Went Absolute Immunity. Alisa pulled back and then went Spell Strike->Breach. Alisa, re-Stoneskinned, hopefully rengaged the Badly Injured Mel but was then horrified to see a Divine Cleansing. Happily though, Cleansing doesn't full heal it seem- it only appeared to since Alisa had done so little damage in the prior phases of the fight: This time Mel was only brought back to Injured. Alisa bore back in- now with Ages in the main. And then suddenly -unexpectedly-  just as Alisa's Tenser's was about to expire- Mel collaped.

Victory was Alisa's.
Posted Image

Phew. That was truly a nailbiter. Fun stuff. :)

Final Comment: While Alisa definitely could have been played better in this fight, I'm pleased with the way it turned out. Earlier I had mentioned that arcane rogues can be radically overpowered but also find themselves forced into nippy improvisation and resourcefulness. In her final battle at the throne, Alisa got a chance to play both roles and -on top of that- wage a battle worthy of a bard's tale. That's why in the end -Alisa's fight- as sloppy as it was- and as grueling as it was- evokes but one emotion: It makes me laugh. A fitting end for our Jester I think. Don't forget to giggle when you see her in the Hall.

Cheers,

A. 

:happy:

Edited by Alesia_BH, 11 June 2013 - 09:02 PM.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

Serg BlackStrider wrote...
Thanks for the encouragement, Alesia :) but I'm not sure if it will be soon enough (if at all...:huh:). I still never ever finished SCSII Ascension setup per se - my pre-Avatars Priest of Helm ->Mage is hanged in WK level 1 at the moment.

Understood. It's a lot harder flying blind.

Of course I always try to thoroughly study all available sources of information (and your messages are one of the priorities, even though lacking the Watcher's Keep section, which I definitely intend to inspect)

So you know, I do have an Alisa save from before The Throne. I'm thinking about sending Alisa in. I can post on that somewhere if there is interest.

BTW, what are your plans for now? May be it's time to blow the dust from your Avatars?;) If you will decide so and will need any help in transfering them into the SoA just send me your WeiDU and final save and it will not take too much time to make similar setup and perform that transfer.

Thanks. Aside from sending Alisa into Watcher's Keep -and perhaps giving her a chance to complete the battle on Insane- I don't really have any plans. Re-booting the Avatars does make sense. I'll definitely consider it.

Best,

A.