Baldur's Gate 2 No-Reload Challenge

• Please log in to reply
15228 replies to this topic

polytope

polytope
  • Members
  • 342 posts

corey_russell wrote...
Brennan Risling escaped through a window apparently, the doorway was blocked.

You really need disabling spells or equivalent (like darts of stunning) to stop NPC's fleeing the area, however another possibility for a team of warriors to stop this thief would be to silence him with Namarra - then he can't give his "That's it, I'm not dying..." speech which is his cue to escape.

corey_russell wrote...
he created a perma death in vengeance - Joshua got CHUNKED! (distingrated probably). We did win though. Good thing a paladin nearby to replace him, which we recruit immediately.

EDIT: Forgot to mention I lost some equipment permanently when Joshua died. Things of note:
* Full Plate
* Lilacor
* Sword of Chaos
* Patrick's Halberd
* ring +1
* charm helmet
* Tuigan's short bow
* unlimited +1 arrow ammo item from WK

Ouch. It's mercenary, but I often mourn lost equipment more than lost NPCs... then again my NPCs aren't based on my family.

Edited by polytope, 09 February 2014 - 05:58 AM.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Grond0 wrote...

corey_russell wrote...
Now that Keldorn has the DEX gauntlets, he is in the front-lines (#3), with Forrest using the Firetooth crossbow. No 2-hand sword that is +3 or later until we are strong enough to take down Firkraag. So using dragon halberd if Keldorn needs +3 weapon, even though he has no skill with it.

Good stuff Corey.  How about Lilarcor for a temporary sword - should be simple for your party to get?

That's normally a good idea Grond0 - only problem Lilacor was destroyed when Joshua was disintegrated. Shortly after my post I edited to list what was permanently lost, guess you missed that edit. In chapter 6 I can get the Silver Sword, but that vorpals (destroys loot), most of the time I wouldn't want that. Besides, by then I definitely should be able to obtain Carsomyr.

Still trying to decide if I will get Carsomyr in chapter two or not (bad memories). If I do, almost certainly will do just prior to spellhold.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

polytope wrote...

corey_russell wrote...
Brennan Risling escaped through a window apparently, the doorway was blocked.

You really need disabling spells or equivalent (like darts of stunning) to stop NPC's fleeing the area, however another possibility for a team of warriors to stop this thief would be to silence him with Namarra - then he can't give his "That's it, I'm not dying..." speech which is his cue to escape.

In this case, Risling's equipment was not vital for my strategy - we all have sanctuary, and Paja's stealth is good. Also, due to her low HP, Paja won't be backstabbing unless we are desparate. We wanted the cloak of non-detection and that was in fact obtained.

polytope wrote...

corey_russell wrote...
he created a perma death in vengeance - Joshua got CHUNKED! (distingrated probably). We did win though. Good thing a paladin nearby to replace him, which we recruit immediately.

EDIT: Forgot to mention I lost some equipment permanently when Joshua died. Things of note:
* Full Plate
* Lilacor
* Sword of Chaos
* Patrick's Halberd
* ring +1
* charm helmet
* Tuigan's short bow
* unlimited +1 arrow ammo item from WK

Ouch. It's mercenary, but I often mourn lost equipment more than lost NPCs... then again my NPCs aren't based on my family.

Well, Misty and Forrest are friends, not family. But yeah, many times it's the equipment that gets missed. Maybe you weren't around, but I once had an all paladin run basically die at Firkraag and my PC escaped with a sliver of life - but because Firkraag sees invis (and was hasted) I couldn't pick up the equipment, and lost all the equipment except what was on the PC. This was late in chapter two, so it was quite a list. Amazingly the team made it Melissan, but fell there.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Frasier - gnome kensai (update 2)

Frasier used the RoAC for the first time to make mincemeat of the Suna Seni ambush.  Then went to get a license to allow it to be used freely in future.  The mage leading an attack on Renfeld became an immediate one-shot victim of the ring.  Arbane's sword was used on the mad cleric before the RoAC was used with kai to one-shot Prebek & Sanasha.

Cleared the Graveyard, though Uncle Lester survived a couple of Azuredge hits to take revenge on his nephew.  A potion of firebreath crisped Pai'Na and her spiders providing Frasier with critical protection and her first summons.  Kitthix got a quick run-out against the kidnappers - successfully webbing Camitis.

In search of a further summons Frasier headed to Trademeet where Kitthix webbed Taquee.  The efreeti got a quick run out against his former masters and absorbed a petrification, allowing Frasier to finish off the genies with the help of RoAC & Bhaal horror.  At the Druid Grove she tried to take on enemies one at a time, punctuated by plentiful resting.  She did have to retreat initially from a spirit troll where her lack of a proficient magical weapon proved a major handicap and had a nasty moment when confused against some myconids - fortunately she ran the right way out of danger while the myconids were occupied with the efreeti and Kitthix.  After Cernd snacked on Faldorn, Frasier returned to Trademeet and cleared the tomb before buying the Belt of Inertial Barrier, Ras and the Necklace of Missiles.

Edit: Frasier moved on to the de'Arnise Hold to acquire the FoA.  No particular problems there, apart from accidentally killing all the umber hulks before offering them a final meal for the condemned.  Frasier has started using dual-wielding with Belm, although she's only got one pip in 2 weapon so far.

Edit2: Next, Frasier tackled Mencar's group.  Kitthix successfully webbed Brennan Riesling to prevent him running.  Frasier initially managed to scare both the mage and his familiar -  killing the former before taking the fighters for a run round the Promenade.  On her return Pooky was silenced by Namarra.

At the Temple sewers Roger got some help with a troll, as well as the bonus of seeing a nasty rakshasa neighbour evicted.  Frasier then opened up access to the lich.  I was initially going to follow Gate70's suggestion of dodging the trap there to avoid being level drained, but decided that since Frasier couldn't avoid the trap on Kangaxx's door she might as well trigger this one as well.  A protection from undead scroll and potions of heroism, speed and storm giant strength quickly accounted for the lich.  Improved invisibility was used at the Bridge to get safe access to the second lich (good thing too as Frasier would have been petrified without it).  The City Gates lich provided Daystar and that soon finished off Kangaxx (THAC0 of 3 even non-proficient and drained 2 levels).  There was still plenty of time left on the potion of speed to kill the minotaurs - getting the 4 reductions in charisma required in the process to gain charisma fit for a god.  While buffs were up she also cleared out a pirate lair before getting restored (discovering she'd got up to level 14) and resting.

Edited by Grond0, 09 February 2014 - 02:52 PM.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
 Russell V the Inquisitor - update 4
Traveling with: Hanna (level 12 Undead Hunter), Misty (level 12 Cavalier), Keldorn (level 13 Inquisitor), Forrest (level 12 Paladin), Paja (level 11 cleric/level 13 thief)

The paladins have made rapid progress - in fact we are just about to be sent to Brynnlaw. We are leaving a few things for Chapter 6: Twisted Rune HIdeout, Planar Sphere, Twisted Rune Guarded Compound, Shadow Dragon

Things of note:
* The party battled Captain Dennis party - I had AI off at first, to try to have Hanna take out that druid, his flamestrikes hurt. Well, we did win the fight, but Keldorn died (RoR brought him back to speed). We were heavily battered afterwards...
Posted Image
* The party had no difficulty at all with either Trademeet quests or D'Arnise Keep. In an effort to avoid chunkings, we didn't battle the genies like I usually do - we instead obtained that head they wanted.
* Firkraag - I realized a new strategy, and decided to put it to the test - Keldorn really could use that Carsomyr. I put haste on everyone, fire resistance scrolls on everyone, pro-evil x6, and that was pretty much it. Paja laid down 5 snares, Misty, Keldorn  and Hanna took positions around Firkraag, a single ariel servant was helping us and we started the fight. What's new is Forrest was shooting dispelling arrows ONLY - this way Firkraag's defenses kept being dropped. This worked fantastic - all Firkraag do was wing buffet and greater malison Keldorn, then Firkraag was dead. Grats Keldorn!
Posted Image

We had already cleared out the vampire lair earlier - time to report to Linvail and set sail.

Party Status (MPV=most powerful vanquished):
Hanna, 100 HP, -7 AC, MPV=Shade Lich, 242 kills
Misty, 106 HP, -10 AC, MPV=Shade Lord, 260 kills
Keldorn, 112 HP, -6 AC, MPV=Kangaxx the Demi-Lich, 62 kills
Forrest, 89 HP, -4 AC, MPV=Firkraag, 139 kills
Russell, 113 HP, -5 AC, MPV=Statue (WK), 167 kills
Paja, 58 HP, -5 AC, MPV=Unseeing Eye, 38 kills

Edited by corey_russell, 09 February 2014 - 10:56 PM.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
 Russell V the Inquisitor - Update 5 - the Underdark
Party at about 2.4 million experience.

Russell's group made it out of Spellhold and the City of Caverns without any difficulty. In Spellhold, Irenicus fell very fast due to dispelling arrows.

In the Underdark, this is a record of what we did here:
* We did not do the imprisoned mage quest - no one can cast freedom, thus it couldn't start. We don't need what he offers anyways.
* We did not do all the trapped souls quest - we looked for the trap gnome only. This is because one of the mages in this group can imprison, and again no way to free them should that happen. It's not like we need the experience anyways.
* The never-ending waves of elementals were defeated easily.
* The demon in the gnome village was defeated by a combo of snares, 2 ariel servants and everyone using a +3 weapon of some type.
* Kua-Toa lair was cleared, including the demon knights. When starting the fight with the demon knights, the party was close to the altar, with summons at the bottom - AI was able to clear them all out and no level drains.
* Beholder lair cleared. I was able to get Misty's save vs spells to be 0 and used greenstone amulet against the illithids here. No imprisonments, I think the Elder Orb may have tried to cast it but got interrupted - yay for that.
* Illithid city was successfully cleared. No summons used. I was able to get Hanna's AC to -14 and Misty to -13. So the both of them gulped lots of potions of genius, CC on Hanna, and those two would charge all groups, everyone else would assist with ranged attacks. This worked excellent, no deaths.
* Most of Ust Natha was skipped. We did however start it, so we could buy from the merchants (we had more than 100,000 gold at one point), also to trigger ambush in Underdark Cavern so we can get the +4 halberd. THEN we went to Adalon's lair. Forrest got to 100% cold resistance (boots and scroll), haste potion, then used his firetooth crossbow on Adalon (the rest of the party stayed by the entrance the entire time). Eventually he was able to coax Adalon to approach via melee. That was Forrest's cue to retreat to entrance and just keep firing his crossbow until Adalon died - this took quite a while, but was quite safe, since she was too big to follow Forrest.

This was done so that we can forge the flesh armor for Paja. We then booked it out of the Underdark, fighting whatever was in our way. We talked to Elhan and saved here, we are now in Chapter 6. I'm surprised how fast this run has been - it might be we aren't casting many spells (or abilities, other than true sight, resist fear and pro evil 10' all the time) and AI, so many fights are minimal intervention.

Edited by corey_russell, 10 February 2014 - 07:18 AM.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Sounds promising Corey - keep it going

Frasier - gnome kensai (update 3)

Gaxx haste let Frasier slaughter Neb before he could take a potion.  Did the Lathander quest and the Fallen Paladins to be even-handed with the gods.  The skinner murders only took a couple of minutes to solve - summons waiting at the top of the stairs as usual.

Next I decided it was time to try for Captain Dennis' throwing dagger.  Namarra silence + summons killed 2 of the enemies then Frasier went invisible to regenerate for a bit (I'm avoiding using healing potions) before rapidly finishing off the remainder (level 15) with the help of Gaxx haste.

Venturing out of the city to Umar Hills Frasier did the initial quests (using Arbane on the mimic) and moved on to the ruined temple.  The shadow fiends there were no threat with death saving throw now negative, but Frasier did make use of a first sun ray when strength was drained to 11 by a group of shadows.  For once I managed to get all the statue answers right first time before making use of a protection from undead scroll against the expected liches - though surprisingly there was only 1 lich there.  Thaxy was bypassed before the Shade Lord also became a victim of an unseen assailant.  Valygar and his ranger friends got Frasier up to level 17 before she left.

Frasier finally remembered her promise to Hendak and went after the slavers.  That was all simple; the only problem being that in place of Lilarcor she got Vallah's hand returned!  However, I don't think Lilarcor's smart alec comments will be missed.

Gaelan Bayle got his money and Frasier reported in to Aran Linvail.  His initial jobs were soon completed and Frasier used another PfU scroll to clear most of the enemies in the vampire HQ.  She had to wait for that to expire to allow Lassal to talk, but then finished him and Bodhi off with her throwing dagger (damage 14-17 with 7 APR using Gaxx haste).

Cromwell made up the improved MoD before Frasier told Aran Linvail that Spellhold would have to wait a bit longer (level 19).  One outstanding thing to do was Thaxy.  Frasier's initial assault got the dragon to badly wounded but his buffs then fired forcing a retreat.  I carelessly let a level drain breath through when using the throwing dagger, but Thaxy was almost dead already and a final strike with the FoA finished the job.

Rayic Gethras was no match for the FoA at 9 APR and Mae'Var was equally at a loss as to how to handle it (level 20 - hardiness).

polytope

polytope
  • Members
  • 342 posts

Grond0 wrote...

Frasier finally remembered her promise to Hendak and went after the slavers.  That was all simple; the only problem being that in place of Lilarcor she got Vallah's hand returned!  However, I don't think Lilarcor's smart alec comments will be missed.

I've never seen THAT bug before, but I notice I sometimes fail to get the Symbol of Amaunator after collecting the three pieces, which sounds similar - I ended up rewriting the temple ruins area script to fix it.

Had some time to play with Eryx the blade and party of ex-Bhaalspawn.

My paranoid habit of being invisible all the time pays off when the party gets ambushed on leaving the temple district. There is more to these bandits than meets the eye...

Posted Image

...in fact, there's a bunch of invisible thieves! They could mess you up if you weren't buffed (I retreated to the top corner of the map for that). Well, my overpowered party took no real damage, but found no real reward either - except some +1 arrows for Artemisia the archer (which we're always running out of) and potions of extra healing (which we're never running out of, OP as this party is).

Valeria and her party in the Bridge district were defeated with ease - one fighter didn't have time to drink this very valuable potion. Also slew the poor fallen paladins.

Even so, I had a few scary moments.

First was getting Aleks and Artemisia knocked out by Greater Command when taking on Tarnor's gang of bandits - this spell is a real threat in the early game, as it's very fast casting and hard to interrupt.

Posted Image

Managed without those two anyway, it took much longer for their sleepiness to wear off than to win. Heck, I had enough cash lying around, I could've just paid Gaelan beforehand - indeed the quest xp from doing that got Leksa to level 11 cleric, meaning she can cast four Chaotic Command spells (two extra through Wonderous Recall).

Second scare was while disarming some traps I'd left alone in Prebeks house, (now that Leksa had her swashbuckler abilities back) she somehow set off a spike trap and suffered 45 damage; on insane that'd be an instagib, as she has only 70 hp max. Then again, I doubt I'd be playing with such a "glass cannon" as the swash -> cleric on insane, or if I did, I'd at least let her have max hp rolls. Also looted the harper base before participating in their extremely inefficient assassination of Xzar, solved the bridge district murders and brought the evil gnome/dwarf (neither race wants to claim him) Neb to justice.

Around this time Aleks the Priest of Lathander -> fighter reached level 9 and attained grandmastery with flails. Bought the Defender of Easthaven flail from Joluv (reputation 20).

Did Renal's quests - Rayic was a pushover this time as he used ProMW instead of improved mantle and had no fireshield (perils of SCS randomizing enemy mage's spellbooks), so we just surrounded him and beat him into submission with sticks (nonmagical ofc), although haste (from downstairs) wore off halfway through. I hadn't even buffed properly, so it's a good thing he wasn't powerful this time.

Had yet another scary moment when fighting Mae'Var, he cast Remove Magic on Randolph the sorcerer in the same moment Randolph Breached him, all our sorcs' buffs were dispelled and he wasn't able to cast stoneskin for nearly a round due to clouded aura... this could've been very bad if any of the assassins (who also usually have quite a few invisibility potions) were left alive at this stage.

Posted Image

Eryx was running Spell Immunity:Abjuration and there was no reason for Randolph not to, except I don't like stacking multiple Spell Immunities - this spell is OP as it is.

After getting Renal's reward and selling some junk we buy the plate of Balduran and Sensate amulet, more hp are always good and Deidre doesn't sell the Robe of Vecna in this game. Next stop, Windspear hills.

Edited by polytope, 10 February 2014 - 11:14 AM.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
 Russell V the Fallen Inquisitor - Update 6
Traveling with Hanna (Undead Hunter), Misty (Cavalier), Keldorn, Forrest (Paladin), Paja (cleric/thief)
Party experience: about 2.9 million each

Summary: Russell V and gang successfully defeated Irenicus in Hell and are in the enchanted forest, about to talk to the statue. A colossal blunder was made in hell, though - read on for details.

Unfinished Business:
A few tasks were left for chapter 6, so when we returned from the Underdark we worked on them. The guarded compound was absolutely destroyed and very fast as well. Planar sphere was cleared out pretty easily, even the hafling mages couldn't put up any real fight. We left the 3 new areas alone, one is real dangerous, another the path-finding is annoying, and the last has so few creatures it's not worth the time. Also, we had a match with the shadow dragon - snares and dispelling arrows proved fatal for this dragon.
Posted Image

We obtained the flesh armor for Paja, had Cromwell make everything, and bought scrolls/spells in prep for ToB. We have so many potions our potion bag is full.

We then worked on clearing out the vampires, once and for all. There were of little trouble with Misty having the IMoD and Hanna immune to drains. We reported to Elhan and then cleared out Suldanessar. Once again, the party did excellent, though lots of damage when fighting golems - nothing new there. We also battled Nizi the dragon - once again dispelling arrows and basic attacks were sufficient for victory.
Posted Image

For for the Tree of Life fight - this was very fast. Russell V had a pro-magic scroll active, just in case. But with snares, true sights and dispel magics, Irenicus couldn't get anything going and died (and no one of the team died).

In Hell, all were good routes, except one, which I will explain in a sec. The beholders were killed by Russell V since he couldn't be imprisoned with his scroll active.

KEY EVENT:
Time for the 3rd Hell Tear, choose to sacrifice your stats or have someone die. I remembered that some one said they can lose nothing if they do it right - well Hanna resisted the hold of the demon, but I couldn't remember which door for her to get back to the party. She took the left door, and Russell V became a FALLEN inquisitor. Good thing I have a party, or my run could be effectively over. I lost all paladin abilities, I'm an inferior fighter now.

Time for the showdown with Irenicus. Paja had laid down 7 snares to the left - Irenicus sometimes like to shadow door in that area. In this run, we rarely have to RoR but we had to several times fighting the demons - once the demons fell, Irenicus died immediately! Presumably he died to the snares.
Posted Image

I leveled up in the ancient glade, and found out I could get the deva HLA! I was suprised at that, but at least my character can feel somewhat useful. In my install, I can only have 1 Deva at a time, so it's not like I can abuse it anyways. 

MVP: Misty, 479 kills, this is 29% of all party kills. Most powerful vanquished: Nizidramaniiyt

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts
Sorry to hear about your fall Corey.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Grimwald the Wise wrote...

Sorry to hear about your fall Corey.

Thanks wise. It's tough to not become fallen in the entire trilogy! Still, the final goal is still within reach, thanks to my party.

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,558 posts
Now, that was quick, Corey - the whole SoA in two days! I'm impressed! My personal achievement here, if I remember correct, was a one week run. And that was not a no-reload...
Stay focused in ToB and go get Mel!

Edited by Serg BlackStrider, 10 February 2014 - 08:40 PM.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Impressive stuff Corey - go paladins (and fighters)!

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
Russell V the Fallen Inquisitor - Update 7

Russell's V party has made good progress - things of note:
* Spellbook retrieved for the mage seller in Saredush - a few containers, fire resistance ring and haste boots were purchased
* Mateo exonerated - mainly for all the potions that Kiser has.
* Didn't bother with the sewer enemies
* Gromnir's fortress stormed - complete success here. For the most part, Paja has been using the Staff of Magi to keep invisible while the paladins take care of business. This has worked so well, I decided to keep doing this - her abilities are important, out of combat, she is still quite vulnerable to enemies, so just as well she stay out of trouble.
* Nylee and the forces around there were no match for the party. By this point, both Hanna and Misty are dual-wielding, and combined with Keldorn's Carsomyr, the melees are doing incredible damage.
* Giants outside and inside Yaga's Temple fell pretty fast - I did have to turn off AI a few times to keep people from being chunked, but otherwise no trouble and no deaths. Paja tried a few backstabs but there weren't very impressive (53 dmg), no wonder I haven't been doing this.
* Storming Yaga's Siege Camp - just a few buffs, 5 summons and charge the enemies. Once again, kept on AI unless someone was standing around or badly hurt. Russell V got hit hard, down to about 15% life - turned off AI, ran far away (to be sure aura was clear) then Ror heal - then he got back to the battle and targeted Yaga Shura. No more problems until Yaga died. After talking to the Solar and returning, everyone leveled except Keldorn.
* Oasis - No chance to buff, had to work hard on healing, but once again success with no deaths. Took forever to loot - Paja can't quite identify everything, so rather than rest 100 times with glasses of identification, we went to Watcher's Keep to identify everything at once. Purchased Sword of Mask for Hanna as well (Foebane +5 main hand).

The party has just arrived in Amkethran...

Edited by corey_russell, 11 February 2014 - 12:30 AM.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Frasier - gnome kensai (update 4)

On to Windspear Hills.  Some vampires soon got her to level 21 - WW - and she moved swifly forwards.  A single Gaxx haste killed 4 of Samia's party and a second finished the other 2.  Soon after some greater wolfweres got her to level 22 - GWW.  Kitthix and the efreeti were waiting for Conster and occupied him for a while.  It took Frasier a bit of time to get through 3 sets of mirrors and a stoneskin and the mage did manage to blast her with lightning - but it was his final effort.

In the sewers Gaius didn't have time to buff and the rest of Tarnor's party didn't do much better (level 23 - GWW).  The illithids were slightly more of a problem - largely because GWW was bugged with her throwing dagger.  As a result she used summons and rested a couple of times rather than just storming through on her own, but it still didn't take long in real time.  Mekrath protected himself against normal weapons - he really should have looked more closely at the FoA!  Killing his yuan-ti with the help of II from RoAC got Frasier to level 24 - GWW.

Intent on handing back a large gemstone Frasier soon found herself in the Planar Prison.  Entering ready buffed allowed her to one-shot the first mage with a kai strike and the others rapidly followed.  Frasier worked her way round before breaking the orb and making a frontal assault on the Warden before withdrawing and picking off the enemies that followed.  The experience from her trip took her to level 25 - power attack.

The next area to be ticked off her list was the Planar Sphere.  That was easy enough and a first lot of golems got Frasier up to level 26 - critical strike.  Lavok was webbed by Kitthix, while a single GWW took out Tolgerias and his mage.  A tanar'ri fell to a Gaxx haste then some more golems and a final trip for the sphere got Frasier to level 27 - smite.

In search of another potential weapon Frasier went to the Guarded Compound.  That went according to plan with the upstairs crew being dragged downstairs in 3 bite-size chunks.

Next, Frasier went to cross the Unseeing Eye off her list.  The beholders by the bridge were fireballed from out of sight (level 28 - GWW) before she had to return to the Promenade to pick up her rod of resurrection from storage to heal the Manifestation in the temple.  I had a nasty shock when encouraging the lich to use its spells up.  Symbol stun should have a modifier of -4 vs spells, which should mean that Frasier couldn't be affected by it (spell save of -3).  However, the lich didn't advance to see what had happened to Frasier and she was able to draw out more spells before it started coming towards her - freeing her to destroy it with Azuredge (that has a short range so she couldn't attack earlier without attracting other enemies).  A group of several beholders got Frasier to level 29 - hardiness - and she swiftly finished the remainder of the area off.  After returning the rod, Frasier used smite for the first time - Gaal failing to be knocked back.  She didn't bother looting the bodies - already got 150k gold and nothing to buy!  Reporting success to Oisig got Frasier to level 30 - GWW.

With not much left to do now Frasier went to Watcher's Keep.  Some vampiric wraiths were waiting and managed to drain her a couple of levels before being GWW'd.  Some statues on the top floor got her to level 31 - GWW.

Her final target in Athkatla was the Twisted Rune.  I decided that a scroll of magic protection should be used here - the advantage of that being that it allowed her to pick up the berserker horn as well.  Inside the Rune Shyressa and Shangalar fell to the iMoD before Celestial Fury got a first use to GWW Vaxall and Revanek.  Back to the old favourite with the FoA to finish off the pit fiend and Layene.

After upgrading the berserker horn, Frasier reported to Aran Linvail for duty and has just arrived in Brynnlaw.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
Russell V the Fallen Inquisitor - Update 8

Russell V's party continues to make great progress. We battled in Sendai's lair with no deaths. Paja soloed much of this area using the cheesy cloudkill/invis via staff of magi repeatedly and backstabbing solo enemies. Pretty safe this way. We made it all the way to Sendia herself. We didn't really have much trouble here, though Hanna got hit with a harm - but a RoR and superior healing kept her in the game.
Posted Image

We defeated the 3rd challenge - or rather Paja did with her traps. Then we worked on Draconis. Why stop a great strategy? So once again, Paja did a large group of spike traps. We killed Draconis in mage form, then turned off AI and ran to the edge of the wall - sure enough, Draconis set off the traps and the party was victorious.
Posted Image

Abazigal's lair will be next, but progress will be a bit slower - my time off is over! Got work tomorrow...

Edited by corey_russell, 11 February 2014 - 03:22 PM.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
 Russell V the Fallen Inquisitor - Update 9

The party is nearing the end of their journey. Abazigal's lair was pretty simple - Abazigal himself was pretty tough, but once again the spike traps near the entrance spelled his doom. We had cleared out the nearby minor enemies first, to make sure they didn't set them off.
Posted Image

Next up was the outside Amkethran's fortress - this was suprisingly difficult, both Hanna and Misty nearly got chunked we got pinned down near the entrance and there was no room to maneuver so the party couldn't assist each other. Thus I turned off AI and moved toward the entrance to the fortress, leaving our summons behind. This had the desired effect and the party battled much better. While the paladins were fighting, Paja kept looking at the loot looking for the key - took a while but we got it and just left the monks behind.

With a high level cleric in the group, Balthsazar is extremely easy - put 6x CC, 6x free action and 6x fire resistance - he is then almost toothless. The battle was extremely fast, maybe 2 rounds. I had all paladins turn on GWW and that was all it took - Paja had time lay a spike trap near the entrance as a backup plan but turned out it wasn't needed.

Pocket Plane Plane Challenge #4 was pretty easy - we had summons and Paja had laid traps beforehand - there was still some fighting to do but not much.

Pocket Plane Challenge #5 was interesting - Paja had laid 7 spike traps before Russell V talked with Ravager - this got Ravager to near death, but still took a bit to get Ravager dead. Party members got hurt but was able to keep them alive. Success

Melissan is our final target - wish us luck!

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Best of luck Corey - I'm rooting for Russell!

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,558 posts
All the best with Mel, Corey! I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Frasier - gnome kensai (4th and final update)

I had thought that an early morning start would allow Frasier to briefly join Russell in ToB, but the gods (or demons) decided otherwise.

Perth was comprehensively chunked and his book offered spell turning as a choice for Frasier.  Moving on to Spellhold, I didn't want Frasier to lose her nice neat row of 19 stats, so talked to the demon in the dream immediately after making a choice and then nipped inside while he was busy telling Frasier he had nothing to say (Level 31 - GWW).

As usual, acquiring a bag of holding was a welcome relief after so long of being cramped for inventory space.  There were no problems in Spellhold, with the lich falling to a first Azuredge GWW (the same fate overtook Dace Sontan).  The group of yuan-ti at the exit to the first level got Frasier to level 33 - power attack - and some trolls worshipping their gods to level 34 - GWW.

After Lonk exploded a GWW on Irenicus would have killed him, though Frasier retreated and waited until he had remembered his lines.  Frasier accepted Saemon's offer and soon found himself in Fish City.  Convincing the spectator to let her look inside the chest got Frasier to level 35 - GWW.  She killed the king (smite punching him through a wall, but fortunately leaving his equipment on the ground where he was) and then the prince before descending a rope to the Underdark.

A group of drow were overwhelmed with Gaxx haste (level 36 - GWW) as were some fungal growths on the way to the Deep Gnome village.  Frasier used an Azuredge GWW to kill the balor while it was occupied with Ras.  After talking to Adalon Frasier did a bit of shopping at the drow stores - he bought Firetooth, though unfortunately that's also bugged with GWW (a problem with all weapons that have different attacks in melee and range).

On the way to rescue Phaere Frasier found a group of ambushers.  A combination of Gaxx haste with smite one-shotted the mage and wreaked havoc on the rest.  The mindflayers and umber hulks with Phaere proved no more of an obstacle.  With a bit of time then available Frasier went to clear the kuo-toa lair, using Azuredge GWWs on the demon knights to avoid vorpals (level 37 - GWW).  On to the beholder lair where Frasier entered invisibly and used Azuredge GWWs on the elder orb.  She ignored the remainder of the area, other than picking up the greenstone amulet.

After helping Phaere with a beholder, Frasier went to the illithid lair and quickly whipped through that (level 38 - hardiness; level 39 - GWW), although he did get intelligence drained down to 4 at one point when I got a bit blase about attackers and was hit simultaneously by 2 illithid!  Simyaz threw his life away in a vain attempt to get the silver sword before Frasier finished off her work for Phaere - getting her 40th and final level in the process (HLAs totalling 3xH, 1xWW, 13xGWW, 2xPA, 1xCS, 1xSm).  After the ritual ended painfully for Phaere and the Matron Mother, Frasier quickly ran out of the city and returned the eggs to Adalon.

The encounter with Kruin is bugged in my installation, so that the cutscene hangs before the fight.  As a result Frasier just gave him the Silver Sword blade in order to progress.  She sorted out her inventory and made up the Wave halberd, but discovered she had apparently sold the gauntlets of ogre power somewhere.  Crom Fayr's not particularly helpful, so I won't bother trying to track them down.

After a final look at the shops Frasier returned to the Graveyard to confront Bodhi.  I decided to do that with no buffs - just using the iMoD.  Only Bodhi herself managed to do any significant damage.

On to Suldanesselar, where Frasier raced through the area mainly using GWWs with Defender of Easthaven in the off hand.  Nizi took 2 GWWs to finish off while occupied by a rare appearance from an air elemental.

At the Tree of Life the only thing that worried me was a timestop maze.  So Frasier ran from Jon as soon as she had killed the parasites and left Kitthix to trigger his timestops.  A little bit of running using Firetooth and Jon had had enough.

From the Tears Frasier picked up elemental resistance, immunity to normal / +1 weapons, +15 HP, -2 AC, +2 strength.  When Jon and the demons appeared Frasier immediately ran.  With Azuredge no longer usable (due to her change to evil alignment) she had no ranged weapon that she could use GWW with, but Firetooth still quickly wore down the demons.  During that Jon tried a symbol stun and, remembering that she had somehow failed against one of those before, she countered with a potion of invulnerability.  Mislead is always a worrying spell as it potentially allows the caster to get into maze range, but Frasier kept running round and soon had only the slayer to worry about.  With him at near death victory seemed assured when Jon resorted to PW:cheating bastard!
Posted Image
I had been extremely careful during this chase and the Slayer had never got remotely close to Frasier - the screenshot shows accurately the range from which he cast maze.  The magic resistance check on this occurs at the point the spell is cast, so it was already too late here for Frasier to take any action and regrettably her 20% MR was not enough to save her.  That's by no means the first time I've been caught by a maze from distance, but it is incredibly hard to defend against for non-magic users. I could have used magic protection potions or scrolls, but there are too many encounters where maze is an option to do that as a routine protection.  If I'd known when the spell was coming spell turning would also have been an option for Frasier, but that gets worn away quickly so would have disappeared much earlier if Frasier had used it at the start of the combat.

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,558 posts
Sorry of your misfortune, Grond0... :(

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
I'm sorry to hear that Grond0. A pro magic scroll could have worked, or potion of magic protection (there are a few to be obtained) I think summons are the answer though. Did you know that fire elemental staff from planar sphere is NOT per day but x20? This means you could have saved that for this fight, cast 5 fire elementals and let them get mazed for ya.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
 Russell V the Fallen Inquisitor - FINAL Update!

So time to buff before out encounters. We actually didn't have very many long lasting ones, mostly pro-evil, fire resistance, and invulnerability potions.

* First Melissan Battle *
Concentrated fire, WW from each paladin and dispelling arrows won this fight quickly

* First Pool Battle *
I laid some traps near Melissan's spawn point before this fight but that was a minor blunder. Paja tried a cloudkill from wand, but some creature did a massive knockback that hit the entire party, and the enemies tripped the traps which I didn't want them too. Once the party got back to the action, victory was achieved nevertheless. Paja helped with 4 ariel servants since they are long lasting and will also help with Melissan.

* Second Melissan Battle *
Really same as first battle with Melissan except used GWW on each paladin.

* Second Pool Fight *
We did some summons, but not a lot of buffs on this one, I remember this pool fight being the easiest (and it was). Didn't even need to use HLAs.

* Third Melissan Battle *
Perhaps the most difficult one, with the slayer shadows and Melissan teleporting to the far side. I made sure the AI was off and again concentrated only on Melissan. Took a whilte to burn her down, she healed herself fully at least once. Hanna died this fight, but not chunked (RoR to get back). Paja nearly got chunked herself, but she RoR and tried to help. Finally we won, whew...

* Third Pool Battle *
By far the hardest pool battle. Lots of prep for this one, antidotes on everyone, potions of invulnerability on everyone, pro evil x6. At the last second I remembered that the succubus charm at -8 penalty - 3 of the party are immune, and put charm protection helmets on the ones that weren't. I definitely used GWWs, and hardiness on this fight, and as well as RoR heals. No deaths and success! Oddly no poison, perhaps the invulnerability potions got our saves low enough to protect us.

* Final Melissan Fight *
I threw everyone on this one - Paja leveled on the last fight so she put a single spike trap down first. Even short term buffs were used (like bless and chant). Best summons left were used, and GWW and once again dispelling arrows. The battle went only 4 rounds at most and she was forced to surrender!
Posted Image

Final Choice: As Russell V was a fallen paladin anyways, he chose to become a benevolent god. Here was his equipment just before meetin Melissan:
Posted Image

What's Next:
I seem to have gotten down party play in the vanilla game. I play BG for fun, but don't find SCS fun due the requirement to buff for every fight, even the simplest ones. Moving it to insane is an option, but I will change up with solo play for a while. I expect to take a lot of hard knocks initially - I have a lot ot learn initially at least with most classes except perhaps fighter/thieves. Going to try a fighter/illlusionist.

Edited by corey_russell, 12 February 2014 - 06:56 AM.

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,558 posts
Congratulations, Corey! Your fallen inquisitor just rose up in the end. And even higher. Impressive run, well done!

Edited by Serg BlackStrider, 12 February 2014 - 07:06 AM.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
Thanks Serg! I had really good concentration this run, hopefully that will translate this week-end as well, it's the State Chess Championship.