Baldur's Gate 2 No-Reload Challenge

• Please log in to reply
15228 replies to this topic

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Getty's Guidebook
Took the illithium to Sir Sarles.  I had the fake in my inventory as well and thought the dialogue would probably give me the option  of which version to give him, but it didn't (as I can't access Cromwell that was a risk I was prepared to take).

Then it was time for a dip in the sewers.  I had forgotten that there was a beholder there, but took it on anyway and managed without anyone dying.  That also gave Nalia a level and her thieving abilities back - she celebrated by ripping Roger off.  Decided against combining Keldorn with Viconia at this stage, but did attack the party in the sewers.  The first stage of the plan went awry as the advance guard of skeletons turned traitor under the urgings of the opposition cleric, but Jaheira's insect plague reduced the spell threat and the remainder of the encounter went off smoothly.

While hunting for a specific drink at the City Gates Lolth sent some assassins to chastise Viconia.  That wouldn't have been too bad, but of course the cowled wizards decided to intervene again.  This time I was in no mood to muck about with them and used arrows of dispelling to strip them of protections.  They all went down quickly, although 3 characters wilted and needed raising.  While there I released a genie from the control of an evil rakshasa  and then, deciding I hadn't taken enough risks for one day, visited the lich.

I actually thought that might be straightforward - it was last time with the help of a protection from undead scroll.  However, the lich removed magic immediately from Jaheira and she went down quickly.  Reverting to sequential action the others went in one by one - I counted them all out and didn't count them all backPosted Image.  Getty eventually entered the fray with the lich still having plenty of spells - he had to survive a prismatic spray and possibly a chromatic orb (not sure if this counts as death magic against death ward) in the course of slashing the lich down to size.  After a quick trip to the circus to engage Aerie to come and cast a freedom spell everyone was back together and ready for a kip.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Getty's Guidebook
Before resting decided that the cowled wizards had caused enough trouble and set a trap for them.  The highest members of the order duly teleported in - 2 were killed immediately and the others followed shortly after.  Not a lot of treasure, though one had a spell trap scroll.  Then pottered around a bit after drinks; provided some chwisgi to clean one woman up to enhance my reputation - back up to popular now.

Eventually got around to returning Neb's head after multiple distractions and then went to pay Gaelan Boyle.  The XP from that gave Getty L13 and he duly dualled to druid.  After talking to Aran Linvail the party explored the thieves guild and came upon a thief talking treachery.  As instructed we helped to kill him and were a bit surprised / shocked / horrified / mortified (take your pick) when Arkanis Gath teleported in and insta-killed Getty.  After about 60 reloads I realised what probably happened:
- if your party kills the treacherous thief quickly enough the overhearing thief never appears and all is well
- if your party is a bit slower there is well over a 90% chance that the overhearing thief kills with his first attack (hits with a 2 for a quadruple backstab against someone with about 10HP) and all is well
- if the overhearing thief critical misses with a 1 and you kill the treacherous thief and immediately cease action all is well
- however, if the overhearing thief misses and you kill the treacherous thief your characters script appears to treat the overhearing thief as an enemy (even though he is blue) and start attacking him (even though I didn't have AI turned on), which triggers Arkanis Gath to script kill you.  I didn't notice this in the real battle, but think that must be what happened.

Clearly this behaviour from my party was unreasonable, but any thoughts on whether it actually constitutes a bug?

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Grond0 wrote...

Getty's Guidebook
Before resting decided that the cowled wizards had caused enough trouble and set a trap for them.  The highest members of the order duly teleported in - 2 were killed immediately and the others followed shortly after.  Not a lot of treasure, though one had a spell trap scroll.  Then pottered around a bit after drinks; provided some chwisgi to clean one woman up to enhance my reputation - back up to popular now.

Eventually got around to returning Neb's head after multiple distractions and then went to pay Gaelan Boyle.  The XP from that gave Getty L13 and he duly dualled to druid.  After talking to Aran Linvail the party explored the thieves guild and came upon a thief talking treachery.  As instructed we helped to kill him and were a bit surprised / shocked / horrified / mortified (take your pick) when Arkanis Gath teleported in and insta-killed Getty.  After about 60 reloads I realised what probably happened:
- if your party kills the treacherous thief quickly enough the overhearing thief never appears and all is well
- if your party is a bit slower there is well over a 90% chance that the overhearing thief kills with his first attack (hits with a 2 for a quadruple backstab against someone with about 10HP) and all is well
- if the overhearing thief critical misses with a 1 and you kill the treacherous thief and immediately cease action all is well
- however, if the overhearing thief misses and you kill the treacherous thief your characters script appears to treat the overhearing thief as an enemy (even though he is blue) and start attacking him (even though I didn't have AI turned on), which triggers Arkanis Gath to script kill you.  I didn't notice this in the real battle, but think that must be what happened.

Clearly this behaviour from my party was unreasonable, but any thoughts on whether it actually constitutes a bug?

Grond0 - it's my understanding you can't attack anyone in the Maevar Guild until you hand the evidence of his treachery to Renal Bloodscalp. By the point in your game did you do the hand-in, or not? If not then it's by design you were killed. If you attack any shadow thief in the guilds and you aren't working for Bodhi and you haven't turned in the evidence against Maevar to Renal, then Arakanis Gath appears and takes you out.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

corey_russell wrote...
Grond0 - it's my understanding you can't attack anyone in the Maevar Guild until you hand the evidence of his treachery to Renal Bloodscalp. By the point in your game did you do the hand-in, or not? If not then it's by design you were killed. If you attack any shadow thief in the guilds and you aren't working for Bodhi and you haven't turned in the evidence against Maevar to Renal, then Arakanis Gath appears and takes you out.

This was in the main thieves guild, not Maevar (which I had completed previously).  You are supposed to attack the thief planning treachery, but the question is whether your characters script should then treat the thief you've just been helping as an enemy even though he is not acting as one.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
Did you highlight your party and attack? Because you do that, the party will attack all enemies of the same type within visual range without further intervention. BG has acted like this since BG 1. I made the same mistake and did the auto-attack feature on the mad king in Sahuagin City, and when the king died the party automatically attacked the prince, even though prince was blue circle.

The way round that is to tell your characters to attack individually. Then when the targeted enemy is dead, they will attack no one else (if AI is off) without further intervention.

Edited by corey_russell, 14 January 2011 - 05:18 PM.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

corey_russell wrote...

Did you highlight your party and attack? Because you do that, the party will attack all enemies of the same type within visual range without further intervention. BG has acted like this since BG 1. I made the same mistake and did the auto-attack feature on the mad king in Sahuagin City, and when the king died the party automatically attacked the prince, even though prince was blue circle.

The way round that is to tell your characters to attack individually. Then when the targeted enemy is dead, they will attack no one else (if AI is off) without further intervention.

I think I did yes - I knew about the auto-attack in theory, but hadn't thought of them as being enemies of the same type.  Ho hum - looks like back to BG1.

Blobsy

Blobsy
  • Members
  • 24 posts
Why are you supposed to kill the thief planning treachery? Is that from a mod? I just let the assassin kill him and take the ring.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

Blobsy wrote...

Why are you supposed to kill the thief planning treachery? Is that from a mod? I just let the assassin kill him and take the ring.

It doesn't actually make any difference if you kill him, but, as the thief that overhears the conversation tells you to do so, it seems reasonable in game terms to do it.

Edited by Grond0, 15 January 2011 - 08:18 AM.

Urdjur

Urdjur
  • Members
  • 20 posts
Hello no reloaders (especially the solo ones)! I hope to soon join your merry group, but I'd like some creative advice on handling traps. A few thoughts...

*Use a thief, rabbit familiar or priest spell find traps. Straightforward enough, but not all traps will be found in a timely fashion. In no reload, the consequences of that can be dire.

*Metagaming: Using previous knowledge of the game, for instance to set a correct Spell Immunity just in time to avoid getting Mazed. Less doable in no-reload, and its own brand of cheese, you might say.

*Using expendable troops: I recall this being an uncertain option when playing the vanilla game, but perhaps modern mods make this more consistent? Sending in cheap summons to trigger traps for instance. Of course, they still can't handle traps on containers.

*Being immune: Unless you want to use metagame knowledge, 100% immunity to everything (through some clever combination) seems like the only option.

*Something else or a combination of the above? Which method do you use?

oyzar

oyzar
  • Members
  • 223 posts
For no reload the best option seems like a thief, but if you don't have one handy you just have to rely on metagame knowledge + protections. If you are meticolus enough to buff to almost complete immunity for every trap that is fine I suppose, but I could not handle that approach myself.

Blobsy

Blobsy
  • Members
  • 24 posts
Back in the city I join Phaere in killing a beholder. This pushes Aerie high enough for her first HLA which I choose as Summon Deva. With Phaere telling me to come back in 3 days I decide to do the Kuo-Toa dungeon, but first I rest and swap all my level 6 cleric spells for bolt of glory for the demon knights. Killing the Kuo-Toa was rather difficult as I forgot all about the tadpoles so had to beat them down with brute force. But at the end of it Anomen got his first HLA too, choosing Deva as well and using the new level 7 spot to memorise one.

I soon embark on the last quest area in the underdark at the behest of the matron mother. The mindflayer area. This turned out to be a real pain. I was over confident, rather tired and made plenty of mistakes that ended up getting everyone but Erica killed at least once. I also ended up using all her remaining invisibility potions. But I survived, and was victorious in the end. But it's probably not a good idea to play a no-reload so late at night, I almost bought the farm several times.

Back in the city when I'm trying to swap the eggs I make another mistake and forget to be invisible when changing them so I ended up having to fight my way out of the city without completing the fake egg quest. No big deal really as I don't have any difficulty increasing mods installed. A short while later I'm back on the surface.

Edited by Blobsy, 15 January 2011 - 08:30 PM.

MrSwizleSticks

MrSwizleSticks
  • Members
  • 58 posts
Okay I've rolled two chracters for the challenge. They are:
Serlandrieth: Chaotic Good Dwarf Berserker
STR: 18/93 DEX: 17 CON: 19 INT: 14 (For fighting Mind Flayers) WIS: 7 CHA: 7
and
Yelsick: Chaotic Good Gnome Cleric / Thief
STR: 14 DEX: 18 CON: 16 INT: 10 WIS: 17 CHA: 3

Part One: Cheatu Irenicus and the circus

Cheatu Irenicus proved fairly uneventful as Imoen simply cast sleep on the mobs. The Dreugar in the dungeon were a slight more challenging then the goblins but with the use of some summons and the use of Serlandriuths enrage they were easily killed. We made to the exit unscathed and watched as Imoen was taken away. Hearing that there was a distrubance within the circus we made our way over. We added Aerie to our party however unfourtunatley she was "Knocked Uncouncious" (Read : Dead) and we haven't the abilty or the funds for a ressurection. :pinched:

Next Update Working for the Shadow Thieves and the De'Arnise hold.

Edited by MrSwizleSticks, 21 January 2011 - 04:08 AM.

MrSwizleSticks

MrSwizleSticks
  • Members
  • 58 posts
Selandrieth and Yelsick Final update.

After leaving the circus behind we travel to the slums we meet up with a man who offers passage to Imoen for 20k gold. (Forgot his name) We leave his house when a child seeking to take us to Nalia in the copper cornet. We decline his offer seeing a a larger profit with working for the shadow thieves.

In the docks we approach Renal Bloodscalp within the shadow thief halls. He claims to be the 'leader' of the shadow thieves and wants us to uncover another guild leaders treachery. We meet Mae'Ver (i think that's his name) who wants us nick an amulet from the temple of talos. We comply and Yelsick easily steals it. We return to Mae'Ver. He sends us to none other then Edwin who traveled with us to kill Sarevok. Edwin asks for us to kill a grey cowl for him. Within his house we dispatch his guardians. Before we enter the room where the wizard awaits we prepare ourselves. Unfortunately we are all hit by chaos and the Wizard kills us one by one. He was taking forever to kill Selandrieth however so I kept hoping for a chance to escape. In the end Serlandrieth falls to a charm spell and its game over. What became of Serlandrieth is unknown.

The End.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
Bummer there sticks. It may not be much consolation, but many runs have ended to Rayic Gethras, including one of my own. Good luck next time.

MrSwizleSticks

MrSwizleSticks
  • Members
  • 58 posts
Thanks.
Guess I shall start again and play tonight. I'll update tommorow morining and as for the mods i use (silly me forgot to mention them) are the G3 tweak pack and level 1 npcs.

Edited by MrSwizleSticks, 22 January 2011 - 08:33 AM.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
Candar the dwarven fighter - update 1

Candar defeated Sarevok so is entering the BG 2 no-reload challenge (intent is trilogy run).
Posted Image

He made it successfully out of Chateau Irenicus, solved the circus problem, defeated a rather belligerent gang lead by a dwarf named Mencar. Interestingly enough I did NOT have Aerie with me, so no mage. But I had a nymph charm Mencar and Mencar put quite a beat down on his own buddies before the charm wore off. Then the nymph held Mencar - just wasn't his day I guess. The full plate goes to Candar and the +1 hammer goes to Candar as well. Brennan Risling got away, oh well.

We rescued a damsel while solving the circus problem, she is a permanent member of the group now. We also recruited a gnomish illusionist/thief. Also recruited a female arch-mage Nalia, and kicked out Yoshimo.

A harper was returned to his base. We battled the enemies in Nalia's keep and defeated them. No major incidents of note, with 3 mages and 2 divine casters, the enemy doesn't have much of a chance. Minsc is now using the frost axe and a +1 mace, and Candar is using Flail of Ages and hammer of giantkin.

We are outside the keep contemplating our next move...

MrSwizleSticks

MrSwizleSticks
  • Members
  • 58 posts
Herlandrius the Gnomish Cleric / Thief Update One.

So far Herlandrius has escaped Chateau Irenicus with ease. (Lobbing fireballs at goblins is super effective) While escaping we discovered that within Irenicus' dungeon that there was two Bhaalspawn who are brothers to Herlandrius.

Our plan after escaping is to solve the disturbance in the circus and then onto the copper cornet.

Bhaalspawn stats (After the completion of Chateau Irenicus)

Herlandrius

Chaotic Good Gnome Cleric / Thief

18 STR 18 DEX 16 CON 10 INT 17 WIS 3 CHA

James ( Can't resist naming a character after myself :P)

Lawful Evil Human Fighter

18 / 50 STR 18 DEX 18 CON 18 INT (Dual class to mage) 6 WIS 6 CHA

Delinphius

Chaotic Good Half Elven Cleric / Ranger

18 / 28 STR 18 DEX 18 CON 11 INT 18 WIS 3 CHA

Mods:

G3 Tweak Pack Dungeon Be gone (Which was not used :P) Imoen Romance and Level one NPC'S.

Also I have been having issues with screen shots. What happens is i press print screen to take the screenie and open paint. The issue arises when i try to paste into paint where i am presented with a black screen. Anyone who can help resolve this would be greatly appreciated.

MrSwizleSticks

MrSwizleSticks
  • Members
  • 58 posts
Herlandrius the Gnomish Cleric Thief update 2.
Since leaving Chateau Irenicus Herlandrius has made quite a name for himself. He defeated Kalah destroying his hold over the circus. After doing this the party head over to the slums where the are meet by Galen. Galen asks the party to raise 20'000 gold to get to Imoen. We are also told that Renal Blood scalp has work for us. However the party heads to the copper cornet. On the urging of Hendak a slave we rout the slavers in the city. We return to the copper cornet to recieve our reward and meet up with Nalia. We head to the hold and save it.

Herlandrius the Gnomish Cleric Thief final update.
After saving the Der'Anise hold form Tor'Gal and his trolls we return to Atkala city to sell of our junk. At this point we have more then enough gold to pay the fee to Gaelen Bayle. We head to the city gates and find a man sent from trademeet. Turns out driuds are attacking the city so we head over there to help out. We take Cernd from the city jail with us and head to the driud grove. Only two things of intrest happened here. The first was the large group of sword spiders which killed Jeheria Cernd and James. We return to the city to revive them and then we return. We enter the large building (The one filled with a couple a trolls a few sprit trolls and a horde of giant trolls.) The group of ordinary trolls easily falls. We move further through the building where we get attacked by the giant trolls. The trolls surrond the party killing Minsc in one round and Delinphius in two. When we see how much damage the party is taking we try to escape but 'you must gather your party before venturing forth'. The trolls give chase and James Herlandrius Jaheria and Cernd fall in seconds. :(

Edited by MrSwizleSticks, 24 January 2011 - 12:55 AM.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

MrSwizleSticks wrote...
Also I have been having issues with screen shots. What happens is i press print screen to take the screenie and open paint. The issue arises when i try to paste into paint where i am presented with a black screen. Anyone who can help resolve this would be greatly appreciated.

If it's working normally then print screen will paste a picture into your BG2 folder (sub-folder ScrnShot).  You then then copy from there into paint, Photobucket etc.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
Candar the dwarven berserker - Update 2

Candar and party managed to get a lot done, a bit closer to their goal and certainly a more capable team. The party line-up:

Minsc
Candar
Jahiera
Naila
Aerie
Jan

Incidents of Note:
* Party freed Hendak and fellow slaves in the Coronet, and also rescued the children being held by slavers in a moored ship without any problems at all.
* We found proof of Maevar's intent to betray the shadow thieves. After dealing with him and reporting to Renal Bloodscalp we got a pleasant surprise - FOUR level ups:
Posted Image
* We battles some mages and goblins at Prebek's house - buffing before-hand made the battle trival, party hardly took any damage in fact.
* Tried to find Montaron, but found an assassin for Xzar instead. Sorry pal. Since Candar is a dwarf, Jaheira immediately was summoned to the Harper hold. When she came back we buffed before hand again and defended ourselves from Galvarey and his Harper buddies. We mostly meleed except for a chaos by Jan and purge invisibility by Aerie. Nalia of course got the ring of wizardry since she will access high level spells first.
* We next did the Lilacor quest. As long as one is careful with the initial batch of goblins who cast a bunch of hold person spells, it's normally pretty easy. However, my party took MASSIVE damage from the cloudkill trap by Quallo, as you can see here:
Posted Image
You ask: but Corey, haven't you done this quest like 100 times before, and have memorized the location of this particular trap? Yes I have in fact. Then Corey, how did you take so much damage. Well, you see, my naked wife had just gotten out of the shower and stood close to me to so I could touch her. I availed myself of the opportunity, but should have paused it first. Not only that but this is a "perma-trap" it keeps going off when people walk over it, so I retreated the party out of range. Good thing Candar has some nice HP on him...
* We headed to trademeet. We found some Djinns monopolizing the trade of the town. We didn't approve and battled the Djinns (though not before Jan pick-pocketed the Djinn ring). The main preparation was protection from petrification scroll and death ward on Candar, plus stand buffs like haste, mirror image, etc. This destroyed the Djinns quite safely.
* Next we headed to the druid grove. The actual clearing of the grove enemies was QUITE easy with this party setup, with both Minsc and Candar dual-wielding +3 weapons I think it is part of it. BUT the moment we got there we got ambushed by Revianne and her buddies. They attacked us, but our problem was that their mage and archer were the other side of the rock, which will take a lot of rounds to get to with our melee guys. As a result, the battle took a lot longer than it would have otherwise. They got off a chaos too, which caused us to hurt each other. Minsc and Candar took out the enemeis on the far side, with the help of a Djinn from the Djinn ring. We had to deal with Trolll adds as well. No one died, but we took quite a beating as you can see:
Posted Image
We reported our success to the Mayor of Trademeet and they were quite pleased. The battle with Reviaane helped our cash flow quite a bit, and now Jaheira uses a full plate and +1 ring. She carries our potions but was weighted down carrying them, so we headed to Athlatka and got the Strength belt from Ribald for her. This should work quite well with her sling of seeking which uses the strength bonus. I got the cloak of displacement for Candar to help saving vs. dragon attacks, as we would like to do Umar Hills next.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
Candar the dwarven fighter update 3:

Candar and gang continue exploring Amn. They find a lot of undead in the graveyard areas and cleared them out without too much difficulty.

Then we headed to Umar Hills. Destroyed a stone golem that tried to take out a cowled wizard. Got a mirrior-image sword usable by fighters, quite helpful. Found some rangers who attacked us, but call lightning plus help from our nymphs cinched the result.

Next we cleared out the Umar Hills Temple Ruins of undead. Both Minsc and Candar tanked great, none of the undead were any problem (no liches, yay).

As for the shadow dragon -- I know I could avoid, but with 3 arcane he definitely should go down. So we prep the standard buffs like haste/fear/bless/chant, have two fire elementals, djinn from ring, and a invisible stalker. We charge Thaxxsyllia. We start putting lower magic resist on it right away. Candar tanked great for the whole fight. The dragon was mostly busy with summons, but managed to do this:
Posted Image
Yep that's right he chunked Jan. And since Jan got level-drained to nothing, we lost all his equipment. Fortunately, though, he wasn't the one with our rare equipment, so we didn't lose much in that regard. We will need a new thief though -- hmm Yoshimo or Imoen. I hate leaving for Underdark early though, because I often don't have the cash needed to get some of the nice, rare items that can only be purchased in Ust Natha. So when we get a chance will recruit Yoshimo.

But back to the battle. So Jan's dead. Minsc and Candar continue to tank (Candar was using Ilbratha so that helped qutie a bit I am sure. He is also using cloak of displacement for the saves vs. breath). Jaheira keeps slinging, and Nalia her lightning wand. it should be noted Nalia ALMOST bit it too, she got down to level 2 from the level drains. And Aerie breached twice. Jan did not die in vain, yay!
Posted Image

One of the results of all this fighting is Nalia dinged level 12! That is good news, she should be able to summon skeletal warriors early in the Underdark. We battled the shade lord who removed all our buffs, but it didn't matter, Candar and Minsc put the beat down on him.

The party returned to Immesvale Mayor and told him the good news. We sold our junk, rested, and pondered our next move...

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
Candar the dwarven fighter update 4:

Candar is still kicking. I have other things in my life (family, work) and for some reason they take some of my time (imagine that...).

In any case, still in chapter two. Most battles completed, here's the battles of note:
* Twisted Rune Guarded Compound - We used our summons against the enemy summons, although it required the party to finish off the Glaberezu. We then went upstairs, fired off a cloud-kill and went downstairs. This didn't work too hot, as almost all the enemies followed. Jaheira was killed (though not chunked), Minsc was feared, so Candar had to do most of the work and whittle these guys down. Took a few charges of the resurrection wand, but we did end up victorious. We then went back upstairs and dealt with the rogue. The enemy mage apparently died to our cloudkill we fired off earlier. Yoshimo detrapped most of the compound without incident, though there were a few chests he couldn't open, oh well.
* We successfully rescued Haer'Dalis from Mekrath. We sent a number of summons and then tried to have Yoshimo backstab Mekrath, but Yoshimo missed and ate some magic missiles. Yoshimo ran, hid in shadows and tried again and missed. Yoshimo ran again, but now Mekrath was in range of the party and he fell quickly.
* Planar Prison - We were buffed to the gills, and in particular death ward and fire resitance on Candar. We did a glitterdust on the bounty hunters which was quite effective. However before we got it off Aerie got backstabbed and killed - however, a rod of resurrection got her back up to speed. Next the enemies to the right, we used out of sight cloudkill x2. This killed most of them, then we charged the survivors. For the Master of Thralls we had 5 summons charge him. They couldn't quite finish the job so the party came up and finished him off. We then destroyed the orb controlling the thralls and charged the Warden. The warden got clobbered by Candar's Flail of Ages + Celestial Fury combo. Candar isn't even proficient with Katanas, nevertheless his Thac0 is 6 with it, which is pretty decent considering that. We decided we would keep Haer'Dalis for now and kicked out Minsc.

Quests/battles for Chapter two that are left:
* Mook is still waiting for us at the docks (good thing she's a patient type)
* Unseeing Eye
* Firkaag's Dungeon and himself
* all Kangaxx related fights
* Lich in Gates district

Just realized now that Minsc has the Daystar. Think I better get that back from him, especially considering Aerie is a multi-class cleric so not quite as effective against undead as Anomem for example would be.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
Candar the dwarven berserker update 5:

Candar's team is continuing to make progress. New developments:

The team decided they would go ahead and investigate the Unseeing Eye cult. They wanted us to get some kind of powerful device. We agreed, but then got accosted by a former follower saying we mustn't give the Beholder the device. We agreed to that and fought our way to the temple that is holding the device. Candar took on the group of beholders and shadows. For some reason, a LOT less beholders/gauths were present and less undead too than I remember - lower levels maybe? I didn't mind though, this part is the hardest part (and where one of my runs ended).

So we get the first 1/2 of the device and head into the pit of the faithless to get the other half of the device and the gauntlets of dexterity. If we ever recruit Keldorn or Anomen to tank those gauntlets will come in handy. For now though, we gave them to Haer'Dalis which lowers his AC by 1.  Doing that and destroying the Unseeing Eye Beholder were no problems at all. We bring the device to the forgotten Amaunator temple and receive a +3 shield for our troubles. We gave that to Jaheira.

Gaal wasn't too pleased with what we did. Candar and 5 summons beat up Gaal and his goons no problem. Gave the +5 heavy crossbow to Candar, though who knows when he will use it, so far he's been fighting in the #2 position, dual-wielding. (good time to use it might be Firkraag).

After selling after completing the Unseeing eye quest, cash reserves are doing really good. Church had another task for us, get Sir Sarles to do an art-work for them. It involved doing a lot of running around and killing a wanted criminal Neb, but we had no difficulties with this quest. Then the church wanted us to do a favor for the church of Lathander. Was pretty simple to get their ring back for them.

We should be seeing Mook soon (though we might get the fire resistance ring at the beginning of Firkraag's dungeon first).

Edited by corey_russell, 07 February 2011 - 04:18 PM.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
Candar the dwarven berserker, update 6 - Firkraag's dungeon part 1

I decided I could really use more cash, for the merchants in Ust Natha. So the party ventured into Firkraag's lair. Initially we encountered a group of goblins but simple melee was too much for them. Then we fired a cloudkill at another group of goblins which was pretty effective. I then sent a fire elemental against the kamakaze kobolds and Ruhk. I was thinking while the fire elemental was messing with Ruhk, maybe I could pick up the item in the cave to the left?

Turned out to be a bit of a mistake. About 5 ogrillions and about 6 Vampire Mists came charging to the party. Was a lot of wood to go through especially the level-draining mists. Aerie and Nalia fired off a skull trap. Their shots were wildly effective, only had to deal with 2 vampire mists out of all that mess. We aggroed our own fire elemental but that was a small price to pay, all things considered.

We then encoutered a bunch of orcs firing arrows from behind locked doors. Yoshimo unlocked the doors then the party smashed the orcs, though the orcs did lots of damage to Yoshimo he was their favorite target.

Next up were some golems, 2 clay golems, a stone golem and an iron golem. When we were dealing with the iron golem realized I need to do some more purchases before I leave for spellhold. Only Nalia has a ranged item that can hurt it (Tasheron's bow). At the very least need the dwarven throwing hammer I can get in Trademeet. Nevertheless the party defeated the golems without further incident.

Encountered a Troll that wanted us for some stew - we weren't down with that and instead battled the Troll and his hobgoblin buddies. For some reason, Candar's script keeps having him using the Daystar rather than using the Flail of Ages like I want, so I had to turn off his scripts.

Next up were a large amount of undead. A lot of spells were cast, though the most effective was the sunray from the daystar that Candar is carrying around. After that, we encountered another room with undead. But before entering that room, Yoshimo laid down a bunch of traps which was quite handy.

We ecountered an adventurer who said she wanted help with her excavation. We told her we didn't have time for that. Then she ambushed us. However, we had already summoned 2 skeletons, a invisible stalker, and 2 wind nymphs. Aerie cast hold person on the group and it held like 3 enemies. This completely broke their resistance. Doesn't take Candar long to mow down held enemies.

We are getting rather full inventory, so left to sell and get that +3 throwing item for Candar.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Miseri's Musings No. 9
Miseri, a berserker with pretensions to be a druid, is transferring in to BG2 after completing BG1.

Without a thief the party toiled to find a dungeon path that's true,
'till picked up Yoshimo, who foiled, traps and evil monsters too.

Imoen is a bard in this game and the party took a bit of extra damage as a result of not being able to disarm traps.  However, everyone came through safely and are looking forward to seeing the sights in a new city.