Photo

Baldur's Gate 2 No-Reload Challenge

• Please log in to reply
15228 replies to this topic

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

@ Corey - condolences go out to you man.  What will you try next?

Going to play vanilla BG 1 and play a solo, Human NG fighter to be kitted to Kensai in BG 2 and then dual to thief, probably around level 9, also solo in BG 2. I've played this character before and had fun with him, and am ready to try him again.

Aasim

Aasim
  • Members
  • 1,361 posts

Astounding run Corey. :(

polytope

polytope
  • Members
  • 342 posts
Sorry to see CoreTalos's run end there Corey, were you using Improved Haste? With a lack of Whirlwind HLA's it can make all the difference damage wise, dunno if Nalia or Haer have it in their starting spellbooks, but Lazarus surely sells it.

For Maze and Charm being game-enders - the game engine apperantly needs "green-circled" PCs in order to keep going. If there are none, game ends. I tend to believe this feature was added later in the development process; if this wasn't so the game would hang on occassion (scripted dialogue, scripts and similar would never be able to fire); making the game far more prone to leave the user to Ctrl+Alt+F4 as the only way to continue the game. 

True, that argument is even stronger when you consider that Ctrl+K-ing everybody in your party gives game over. I'm just feeling bitter now that my own run is over; Eryx got held and killed by a kobold shaman while on the way back from Roger's store.

Spoiler

Back in Athkatla, party tackled the elemental lich guarding one of Kangaxx's tombs; who managed to trigger contingencied ProMW after being breached, but was quickly finished off with PW:Kill, a spell which I'm irrationally fond of - I'm also fond of having Eryx cast Fire Shield:Blue for the occasional mage who uses Cone of Cold, though I have no protection from those Chain Lighting spell triggers except negative saves and 100+ hp.

Not wanting to waste the short term buffs we still had up, I used the once-only option of Limited Wish to be more experienced (inside Sion the slave trader's mansion, don't want to invite Zallanora just yet...).

After that, since we still had anti-mage protections like Death Ward and ProME active, I figured I'd take out that lich in the city gates (with SCS you cannot leave his tomb before defeating him! I wasn't planning to steal Daystar without a fight, but having no option to retreat means this battle is left till late game...).

Things didn't go as well as I hoped.

c6eryx3.jpg

Randolph removed his spell protections with a 3x secret word sequencer and Eryx breached him (I didn't allow myself to use IA for this encounter, only the beholders and maybe Twisted Rune), just as the lich cast Wish, party got a few hits on him, but not enough to kill him.

c6eryx4.jpg

Lich wished for double length Time Stop + IA then cast Summon Dark Planetar, Remove Magic, Chaos, Slow and a bunch of magic missiles at our sorc (which were wasted, due to his protections).

Time resumes, ironically, the next swing by Leksa splatters the lich, even before his spells take effect, if only she could've been a little quicker... Very silly of the lich not to recast ProMW while his Improved Alacrity was still running. I lucked out here, as Eryx didn't have SI:Abjuration, and was hit by Remove Magic, my blade is high level though and only priestly buffs got dispelled.

The dark planetar was nasty, she attacked Leksa and Artemisia, who were both slowed and took a couple of hits - our priest and archer have unbuffed save vs death of zero and one respectively, putting them at slight risk of a vorpal hit, but the ferocious damage of a planetar could easily perma-kill someone anyway.

Anyway, Eryx & Randolph cast ProMW, Aleks drinks a potion of Invulnerability and puts Shield of Harmony offhand (planetars can also cast Chaos), Crom Fayer main hand, Randolph recasts haste and we take out the Fallen Planetar, these are dangerous enough in an open battlefield, never mind such cramped quarters and will also cast Insect Plague if not dispached quickly. 

Thoughts on this battle: Rigged Wish spells are one trick enemy SCS mages have which I've never come up with a surefire counter for, need to refine my strategy before facing the Twisted Rune and The Five. Also, by the stage of the game when one can reliably beat this powerful lich vampires are pushovers and so Daystar (it's main use being Sunray to fry groups of vamps) is almost irrelevant. Double damage vs Bodhi is good though, I guess.

Went to visit Bodhi in the graveyard, btw I find this to be one of the funniest responses in the game (second only to Yoshimo's banter with Korgan). Vampire lair predictably easy, Tanova was incinerated by a sunray before casting anything, I'd like to note an intriguing bug though: Gofus (a shadow thief) got charmed, and I decided to dispel the charm, with the charm dispelled Gofus went green circled although he started out blue, and since he was trading blows with Arkanis, the thieves reacted as if I was attacking them and quit with threats of venegeance - which was fine, I didn't want or need them, there seems to be no option to turn Aran's offer of help down if you have high Charisma + Rep.

Another interesting bug is that if you leave the vampire lair through the large gates and come back a bunch of vampires spawn in the hall where the spellcasting guard was... or maybe those vamps are usually there? (It's been so long since I've completed chapter 6) Easy xp for the party anyway.

Had a little trouble with Improved Bodhi herself. she has 2 extra vampire mages (comparable to Tanova) and a bunch of grimwarders - the latter prevented me from quickly slaying the mages simply by getting in the way.

Aragrish with precast regeneration offered himself as a target for Bodhi's Cloud of Bats (essentially Creeping Doom, but ignores MR and spell protections), very bad for a spellcaster to be exposed to this. One vampire mage was slain quickly, but the other uses a 3x Remove Magic sequencer, managing to dispel Aleks's Boon of Lathander and Aagrish's Improved Haste:

c6eryx12.jpg

This is bad, as now Aleks can be killed in just a few hits by Bodhi, fortunately BoL is quick to recast, Aragrish's attempt to WW was disrupted though (can happen with enough constant damage), I had him equip MoD offhand (though not even proficient in it) as it occurred to me he might not be able to enrage again either. The surviving vamp mage then made a further nuisance of herself by Breaching Aleks fortunately BoL isn't removed by breach but CC was and Aleks was lucky not to be knocked out by Sephulcral Sleep, he finished her off soon anyway (first equipping Dragonscale shield and casting AoF to reduce the punishment from her fireshield like ability).

Three level-ups here, Eryx takes Resonating Weapon which is a RR ability for bards, adds 2d4 sonic damage to melee hits and forces save vs breath or be deafened, lasts for 2 rounds - it's underwhelming but unlocks Sound Barrier, which is like a sonic fireshield that also protects from sound based magic, also in addition to having no traps with RR, bards can't pick (Greater) Evasion either. Leksa takes Energy Blades and Artemisia takes Whirlwind (inspite of picking Power Attack earlier, oh well).

Before leaving the graveyard, Randolph and Eryx have a paranoid moment and prepare powerful defensive Trigger, Sequencer and Chain Contingencies (Eryx using a scroll of Limited Wish to cast CC here).

It pays off! We are waylaid by enemies again, and these guys are Cyric's finest... though it doesn't seem professional for an Assassin to introduce himself to his victim.

c6eryx19.jpg

(All magic on the party is dispelled before meeting them)

So, Eryx uses his sequencer (Minor Globe, Stoneskin, RM), which dispels some of the enemy party's buffs (importantly Mass Invisibility and Mislead). The enemy mage shoots a Spell Trigger with Malison, Chaos and Slow, which triggers Eryx's CC (condition: on hit, yes, spells like Malison count as a hit) with Improved Haste, Spell Deflection, ProMW – Eryx has Equalizer equipped so as not to get confused, Randolph retreats a bit to use his trigger (Haste, Stoneskin, ProMW) and soon after his CC activates (Spell Turning, Spell Shield, Wilting). Aragrish enrages (he has excellent saves with the amulet of spell warding, though I’m relying on luck for him not to be slowed). Artemisia uses potion of magic shielding (her saves are not so good). Aleks has Harmony + Ring of Free Action, Leksa just runs out of theAoE and uses True Sight from the thieves hood.

Now, Randolph’s wilting injured the enemy cleric, who is quickly finished off by the hasted fighters – he was casting conjuration, possibly Unholy Word (I remember this being a problem for Imoen last time I did this battle).

The halfling archer has arrows of dispelling and managed to hit both Aleks and Leksa in spite of their good AC, Artemisia retaliates with a Whirlwind using Firetooth loaded with Kuo Toa bolts which kills this pest (How would whirlwind with a crossbow even work???). Randolph cast Improved Haste on Aleks who joins Aragrish (also using WW) in cutting down the enemy fighter Grok, then the enemy fighter/mage Zaeron (who quickly recast ProMW and had it dispelled just as quickly). You might wonder why I bothered with preparing that CC/trigger/sequencer since our party is owning the Chosen of Cyric so quickly…

c6eryx25.jpg

There’s your answer, 47 damage backstab on a warrior with hardiness. I don’t like to think what that would do without hardiness, particularly to Eryx or Randolph. Factor in the enemy archer with dispelling arrows and the enemy mage with PW:Kill and it’s easy to die here if you’re unprepared. Vendurius himself falls quickly to IH Aleks wielding Crom + Ages (almost anything falls quickly to that combo). The enemy mage has rebuffed but IH Artemisia with normal arrows quickly shows us the flaw of the Protection from Magic Weapons spell. Aleks leveled up in this fight and took Hardiness as his first HLA (he was lucky to avoid backstabs here).

The clay golem + skeleton were used to set off traps btw., those traps do a combination of missile + poison damage (I think), so these summons are the best to trigger them.

I’m now wondering whether I should USE the Chosen of Cyric’s items, some are probably OP.

Current levels

Eryx, blade 26
Aleks, priest of Lathander 11 -> fighter 20
Randolph, sorcerer 19
Leksa, swashbuckler 10 -> cleric 23
Artemisia, archer 20
Aragrish the Cliched, barbarian 22

Such a long post and we're still in chapter 6, I'm just not a concise writer...

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Polytope wrote...

Sorry to see CoreTalos's run end there Corey, were you using Improved Haste? With a lack of Whirlwind HLA's it can make all the difference damage wise, dunno if Nalia or Haer have it in their starting spellbooks, but Lazarus surely sells it.

No, wasn't using improved haste. H and N don't start with it. Lazarus probably does have it, but by the time I needed it, Saradush was already destroyed. Such is life. Still, pretty happy how far my random party got - before this run, my random parties never made it into chapter 4 of BG 1...

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,558 posts

No, wasn't using improved haste. H and N don't start with it. Lazarus probably does have it, but by the time I needed it, Saradush was already destroyed.

Don't you know that Lazarus is resident of Amkethran after Saradush' destruction? :huh:

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

@Corey.  Sorry to hear CoreTalos didn't quite make it.

@polytope.  Another impressive battle, though if you want any tips on how to deal with kobolds I'm your man :P.

Jianson

Jianson
  • Members
  • 377 posts

Still, pretty happy how far my random party got - before this run, my random parties never made it into chapter 4 of BG 1...

Yeah, it was a fascinating run. I enjoyed the updates for both games.

BTW, can you describe how you go about "conjuring up" a random party (if you already have described it earlier, link to that post)? There is normally a ton of choices to be made for each character...

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,558 posts

BTW, can you describe how you go about "conjuring up" a random party (if you already have described it earlier, link to that post)? There is normally a ton of choices to be made for each character...

He has a selfmade random character generator. You could also try this if you are interested in that kind of stuff.

Jianson

Jianson
  • Members
  • 377 posts

You could also try this if you are interested in that kind of stuff.

Thanks, that might come in handy.

The part it covers was pretty much how I had pictured it, but I was mostly curious about how to handle profiency picks, spells picks and thieving skills in a manner that is both quite random but still not too gimping.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Yeah, it was a fascinating run. I enjoyed the updates for both games.

With the help of forumites, I wrote a quickbasic program that generates the class, stats, race, alignment, proficiencies, racial enemy. Thieving skills and spell picks are the only relevant things not random - with levels both are fixed, and not putting all points in a skill is rather pointless for a random thief, especially when said random thief might have very low DEX to start with! The only catch is you need to use DOSBOX to use it. If you want it, just invite me as a friend and I'll PM you, and you can reply with your e-mail address and I can e-mail it to you (it's pretty small).

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Don't you know that Lazarus is resident of Amkethran after Saradush' destruction? :huh:

Nope. I've had a lot of trouble trying to get around in Amkethran in the past, so now-a-days, I spend as little time as possible here.

Mr_Goldbeard

Mr_Goldbeard
  • Members
  • 74 posts

Norros Woodsoul - Chaotic Good Half Elf Cleric/ Ranger - 1st ToB update and Final Update

Norros entered the pocket plane and told Sarevok to take a hike (I always recruit Sarevok on my journeys when its not solo, he's OP).  I did the retribution challenge and received a LvL Cleric 24 / Ranger 20 (GWW, Aura of Flamming Death).  I killed the soldiers at the gates and the ones in the inn, revived the young boys father, killed all the orcs and humans in the barracks, and talked to the courtesans in the bar to end up in the dungeon.  Here I plowed my way through the vampires with the IMoD.  Had a little scare there, the screen went into you're dead mode, but it was just the apparition of the ghost lol.  I got out of the dungeon and rebuffed myself against the fighters and mages.  I killed all the mages and fighters, and went up to the floor right below Gromnir.  Like all spellcaster battles, I open up with a couple of Insect Plagues and GWW till everyone is chunks.  I rebuffed then went upstairs to Gromnir, I added x3 Hardness and a globe of blades into the buff.  I casted an Insect Plague on Gromnir and it spread to the two mages and so I didn't have to worry about them, I GWW'd Gromnir and chunked him, then turned my FoA to the other fighters, none of them really stood a chance.  I did, however, have to use a charge of RoR.  Gromnir's death granted me another LvL Cleric 25 (maxed) / Ranger 20.  GWW was abtained.

My journey outside of saradush has been quite a breeze.  With Iron Skins and 100% fire protection spell, nothing really to worry about against the Fire Giants.  The fire giants granted me my final LvL Cleric 25/ Ranger 21 (max) (GWW).  I arrived at the forest of Mir, and casted my standard buffs (i'm getting really sick of buffing before every fight, but it keeps me alive lol).  The other shades were all exploded by my holy symbol but the master wraith was not.  I pulled out the IMoD and GWW'd him, but I had to back off to cast a heal spell, then went right back in, he died in seconds.  At the foot of the temple, the undead skeletons were blown away in fear of my holy symbol and I just whacked them to chunks of bones.  The mass amount of mummies and ghasts were exploded.  I talked to the old mistress of the Bhaal temple and got the quest.

I decided before continuing on, its high time to get the +5 FoA, so I went to the WK.  I got a taste of my own medicine, one of the statues casted insects on me lol.  Had to use a charge of RoR, wasn't watching HP, i'm getting complacent, I must be more careful in the future.  I got the page off the lich by killing him with the IMoD.  I did the riddle and got the rest of the statues up and charging at me.  I casted Insects at one of the statues and two of them ran off in fear, as the mage was unable to cast spells, I GWW'd them to pieces and went to the elemental lair.  I did all the little to do's in the elemental room, nothing spectacular happened.  The Chromatic Demon took 8 GWW's to get through as quick as possible, that demon has some super high resistances.  I got my +4 FoA up and running, and my Improved Cloak of Protection +2 (I think this thing gets under looked cause many people can't wear these with magical armor), a minute and a half of 7apr. 

Level 3 of WK is IMO is the 2nd hardest place in all of the trilogy (+1 is still cloakwood in BG1 lol), because of the anti magic rooms, I honestly shouldn't do it cause I will probably die, but here it goes.  I casted my normal buffs and went forth.  SUPER close call, I may just say to hell with the +1 machine in lvl 4.  At the first encounter with Tahazzar I casted chaotic commands cause I know the succubus will sling charms left and right and so will the demon, I could only pull that one buff off, cause the entire time i'm getting two hits in 1 out of 3 Glabrezus and running off to use RoR.  I got down to 10HP while waiting for the RoR to activate and another time down to 32 and 43.  I used up 6 charges of the RoR.  I hate 3rd lvl WK.  The next room was just as bad, two more close calls, needed to use three more charges of the RoR, I have another rod but I have to retire the first one, the fight was against the Cornugon, Pit Fiend (looks like slayer avatar) and the Velithruu.  Phew!! I got the Chaotic Command .5 seconds before the charm hit me, i'm good, I tore through them (Succubus and Alu room).  Ka'arashru was the next room, at least against this demon I can come buffed and the previous room wasn't an anti-magic room.  Typical buffs, except I added 50% cold, cause if I remember correctly he dishes out cold attacks.  ICoP (improved cloak of protection) was the big hit this time around.  Tore right through them.  The following rooms my ICoP was still in effect so I plowed through the fire Glabrezu and ice one, along with the Tieflings.  The demon wraith was simple enough, my buffs ate up the spells he threw at me, and the iron skins soaked up the blows the children gave me.  Well everyone, Aesgareth is a demon, and my racial enemy is Demonic/ Fell, so I went straight for battle.  Nice, Insects got to all the spellcasters.  Aesgareth fell, now just the rest of the Tieflings.  I finished the battle with 107 out of 157 HP, went better than I had anticipated.  I hate this level more than anything in this game, the anti magic fields right before a major battle just wrecks my nerves lol.

***Why does the Tiefling mage carry a robe of Good Magi? Aesgareth is evil right? and so are the people he's with?***

Down in 4th LvL killed the beginning  mind flayers and the gith room, GWW's and buffed.  At Saladrex I had a Deva in front of me who took the initial aggro, I casted magic resistance then x3 insect plagues, the insects worked and Saladrex is down to only melee (which can be a blessing or a curse).  Well, seems he can still cast remove magic and debuff me.  Out of nowhere he got me down to 13, I used a RoR, thankfully the round of my disrupted chaotic command was over.  I ran up the stairs and casted another set of buffs, but I forgot protection of fire.  He did another fire ball and got me to 79 HP.  I ran to far from the stairs and he blocked the entrance way, he never missed a swing and got me down to 32 HP as I was going for my RoR, Norros Woodsoul died.

I have no reason to kill saladrex, just wanted to, but he killed me.  I feel dumb lol. 

Norros Woodsoul - Half Elven Cleric 25/ Ranger 21 - Dead

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Tough luck there Mr. Goldbeard - best of luck if you should try again.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

Hard luck Mr_Goldbeard.  Sounds like you had it sussed, but struggled with concentration in a long run - I know exactly how that feels :unsure:.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Augur - dwarven wizard slayer (14th and final update)

On entering the final battle Augur immediately attacked with a FoA GWW - slowing Mel on the 6th hit.  He then switched to Blackrazor and started causing damage at the end of the first GWW.  Two more GWWs, with Mel's attempt at healing herself failing, and she made a run for it.  That left Augur with 14 GWWs and a WW, so off to a decent start.

Rather than just wait and regenerate with Blackrazor Augur was attempting to heal a bit using Foebane on the air elementals, but got caught out when Yan-C-Bin hit him with a whirlwind from further away than I expected would be possible.  Fortunately he got knocked far enough away that he recovered consciousness before the air elementals could get more attacks in.  After that he just used ranged attacks to finish off the elementals and Yan-C-Bin before regenerating up to full health.

Before cutting off the pool's essence Augur summoned 5 fire elementals.  That was a good job too as Mel rendered everyone briefly unconscious at the start of the combat and they gave her a target.  Augur quickly recovered and still had time on his opening GWW to slow Mel.  He then switched to the Answerer for a few blows and then to Gram (checking to see if poison damage would affect her), before going back to the Answerer.  This time Mel seemed more reluctant to leave and I was getting worried when Augur interrupted her attempt to heal herself and finally made her run a few blows later.  However, he was now down to 9 GWWs - and as I was checking that I mis-clicked and he was down to 8 :blink:!

Augur summoned more fire elementals and put a scroll of undead protection on before cutting off the next pool.  Mel appeared and immediately put up a blade barrier - causing Augur to back off as soon as she was slowed.  As she teleported away Augur followed, but so did a slayer shadow (which are obviously demonic rather than undead) and I decided Augur needed to use his GWW on it rather than let it drain him.  That didn't do much good though as the remaining shadows, even though out of sight range, clearly knew where he was and came storming up as soon as they had killed the fire elementals.  Augur responded by pulling out his simmy, who used mirror image and attacked Mel in melee, while Augur continued with his throwing axe.  Bombarded with 2 lots of GWWs Mel was quickly taken to near death, but refused to disappear until the simmy ran away a bit to give her script an opportunity to trigger.

Augur tried to tank a marilith, but was poisoned and used a green scroll to cure it.  He was unable to hurt the mariliths for a while due to their buffs and just ran them round.  Meanwhile, the simmy died attacking the fallen solar, leaving Augur all alone again.  He kept running round until the fallen solar killed itself on the reflection shield and then tried killing the succubus.  She went ethereal and healed quite a few times, but eventually Blackrazor's drain combined with damage finished her off.  Augur then tried using K'logorath on the mariliths.  He got a marilith to near death a number of times, but couldn't finish it off due to their unlimited cure serious wounds and stoneskins and the need to beware the second one arriving.  Eventually I lost patience and used a GWW to kill one.  The second marilith was then simple - freed from the necessity to avoid the other one K'logarath could just outpace the marilith's healing.  

Now down to 3 GWWs and a WW Augur regenerated up to maximum HPs again before cutting off the last pool.  For the final combat with Mel he had earth elementals on his side (having used all the fire ones).  After slowing Melissan Augur switched to the Answerer, which allowed the earth elementals to start hitting her to supplement Augur's blows.  He was also using Crom Faeyr off-hand - sacrificing AC to try and finish Mel off more quickly.  Augur started up his last GWW, but Mel was at near death and attempted to restore her power.  However, that attempt was always going to be unlikely to succeed for her and a few seconds later the battle was over.
Mel4.jpg

Augur chose to take the dark road to godhood.

Afterthoughts
After years of considering the wizard slayer class to be near impossible solo, I was surprised at how easy that run was.  Augur successfully completed it having used no potions at all (or any other sort of consumable healing such as RoR) - all my practice with other characters at avoiding damage paying off for him.  

Originally, I was much more worried about save or else spell attacks than physical damage anyway.  When I tried a number of wizard slayers quite a while ago I relied mainly on movement to dodge spell attacks.  That certainly helps, but there are some situations that it's difficult to do safely as there are no close exits to a caster.  This run, Bhaal horror was used out of range quite often in the early stages to disable casters.  I also used Ras extensively to occupy enemies (I imagine this would be more difficult to do if I had SCS installed).  As a result, Augur had to save against spells on very few occasions - normally when triggering traps.  His standard spell save during the latter parts of SoA was 0, so he still had a 5% chance of dying to a FoD.  However, I now understand that Delver's plate offers +2 against spell saving throws - if that's the case in my installation it would have been possible to complete the game without the need to ever make a saving throw.  Also, I dared the FoD trap in the Planar Sphere in order to get the Staff of Fire.  However, that was not actually essential to have - the only place where elementals are really needed is in the final battle with Mel and the Staff of Earth would be sufficient for that purpose.

In ToB the wizard slayer MR and spell suppression came into their own with the result that he was rarely threatened by mages.  There were still a number of enemies with attacks that ignore MR and could render a PC unconscious, but most of those are of pretty short duration, so are likely to be non-fatal against a warrior at full HPs.

• Aasim likes this

Mr_Goldbeard

Mr_Goldbeard
  • Members
  • 74 posts

@ Grond0 - wow! You actually did it.  Im very impressed.  Now what are you gonna do?

polytope

polytope
  • Members
  • 342 posts

Very impressive Grond. I know variants of this challenge go on in many other forums and in other languages... but you are probably the first person ever to complete Baldurs Gate trilogy no-reload with a solo wizard slayer who doesn't use healing potions (I've always liked the kit, though the disadvantages are trivial in a party vs solo).

Do you think you'll ever go back to using tactical mods?

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

@ Grond0 - wow! You actually did it.  Im very impressed.  Now what are you gonna do?

I've rolled up a fighter/thief with the specific intention of completing Watcher's Keep (which I've never done solo).

Very impressive Grond. I know variants of this challenge go on in many other forums and in other languages... but you are probably the first person ever to complete Baldurs Gate trilogy no-reload with a solo wizard slayer who doesn't use healing potions (I've always liked the kit, though the disadvantages are trivial in a party vs solo).

Do you think you'll ever go back to using tactical mods?

I'm intending to do so in the relatively near future, yes.  I like SCS as a mod and have used it extensively in the past.  The main reason for giving it up was that I found the most sensible way for many solo characters to tackle casters was just to run away and wait out buffs - and that got boring after a while.  It may be that having explored a couple of new options in the game that I'll feel able to be more pro-active in future (and having had a break from SCS I might tolerate waiting around better for a while anyway).

Aasim

Aasim
  • Members
  • 1,361 posts

Congratulations Grond0! And GL with your f/t.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

I'm deeply impressed Grond0 - congratulations on yet another success! Your successes are coming like clockwork now...incidentally Augur has been put into the hall of heroes.

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,558 posts

Congratulation, Grond0, with yet another success! And I'm looking forward to see your spiced up (modded) run someday. Seems that vanilla setup became too straightforward for you already  :)

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Kenthief the solo Kensai/thief entering BG 2 portion of trilogy no-reload challenge....

Kenthief has defeated Sarevok and made it out of Irenicus dungeon alive.

KenthiefenteringBG2-startingstats_zps849

He avoided the stunning mephits on the plane and the mage fighting the vampire, and also dualed to thief just before exit, which gave him level 6 once in Athkatala. Amazingly, he got level 9 doing the circus quest - Kalah was of course one-shotted via backstab. I had forgotten that I can't wear any armor, not even as a thief, good thing Kenthief is level 9 thief, so just one more level needed. I think it might be possible to give him the last level he needs via traps/locks, so we will see how that works.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

Thanks Aasim & Serg.

Cheers for updating the post Corey.  It looks like you're not hanging around with Kenthief!

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

Gate70/Grond0 multiplayer attempt 43 - (update 4)
Waltz, half-elf bard (Grond0) & Hallie, halfling swashbuckler (Gate70)

We managed a short session last night to make a bit more progress, though at some cost to Hallie the cat.

The first adventure was travelling from Trademeet to the Druid Grove and talking to the druid there.  I must have clicked on the wrong conversation option as we suddenly found ourselves under attack by Dalok and some shadow druids.  Hallie survived a call lightning before she found room to stealth and then set some traps.  Meanwhile Waltz produced a couple of skeleton warriors to help set things to rights.  The remainder of the Grove was straightforward before Faldorn offered Cernd a hearty meal.

Back in Trademeet Tiris received some good news and the local tomb got a thorough spring cleaning.

The final action for the session was returning to Watcher's Keep to see if we could now manage the vampiric wraiths.  Traps and skeleton warriors helped there, though it was Hallie that finished them both off.  Scouting inside, there were some more undead as well as a bunch of mephits.  Hallie softened them up with a sunray before Waltz warned that a skull trap was incoming.  However, Hallie wanted to stick around for one more hit - which almost proved costly for her.  After clearing the rest of the top level the duo activated the statues.  They were a bit tough for an instant kill and Hallie suffered from several lag hits while apparently out of melee range - one of which was terminal.  After she was raised the last few statues were quickly finished off - Kitthix showing her abilities by webbing the last one.

Stats (cont from BG1):

Waltz, bard 17, 74 HPs, 389 kills
Hallie, swashbuckler 17, 70 HPs (incl. 6 from ioun stone), 377 kills, 2 deaths

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Kenthief the solo human level 9 kensai > level 11 thief - Update 2

Kenthief managed to free Hendak, mainly by backstabbing everything into oblivion - he's survived several ambushes so far, primarily due to a firebreath potion and his two ring of air controls improved invisibility ability.

By picking the thieves clean, he's got a +3 weapon now (martial staff) and a anti-troll weapon (blade of flames). He also obtained potions of defense for his soon to be trek to D'Arnise Keep.

Kenthief unlocked Kensai by de-trapping the valhalla horn house and Reijek's place and also by the experience for exposing Reijek.