Baldur's Gate 2 No-Reload Challenge

• Please log in to reply
15228 replies to this topic

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Corthief VIII the solo halfling thief - Update 11

So Corthief VIII has finally headed to Brynnlaw. Almost nothing done there, except battling Perth. I did lay a spike trap, but Perth didn't get close enough to set it off. So I went outside, went invisible, then put two summons right next to Perth (while Corthief VIII was protected by Improved Invisibility) to ideally draw out his maze - Corthief then pumped acid arrows into Perth - the summons and Corthief VIII did a nice job and Perth goes down.

On the whole, Spellhold was unremarkable. A great many enemies were taken down by traps, a good number by cloudkills from the shadows, daystar sunray saw some use, and also a protection from undead scroll. Everyone else was run/hide/backstab.

For Irenicus, used dispelling arrows, then acid arrows - this got the job done.

Baldr504_zpsvos9pd5o.png

Corthief VIII went with Sameon, and eventually found his way into the City of Caverns. He did very little here, skipping many encounters - he just wanted the imp loot, the Cloak of Mirroring, then help the Prince. Only reason Corthief VIII helped the prince, was because Corthief VIII can easily lay traps/snares for the King, which made dealing with the King really easy doing that. Interestingly, the hardest part of this whole area was the Ettin - Corthief VIII tried many things, but he couldn't run and hide in the small arena, melee wasn't working, Cloak of Sewers forms weren't getting it done, the Ettin was hitting pretty hard actually. Eventually, Corthief VIII decided to us his on-demand invisibility, the invisibility ring, then do a backstab - that took out this pesky creature.

Spoiler

Corthief VIII used his rope and got to the Underdark - session saved here..

• ussnorway, Serg BlackStrider, Grond0 and 2 others like this

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Corthief VIII the solo level 36 halfling thief - Update 12

Corthief VIII has made it out of the Underdark. Whenever possible, he avoided encounters. He did not do the Beholders or Illithids (Corthief VIII is already near 6 million experience anyways).

Drow were mostly defeated by cloudkills and traps. Adalon defeated by traps (needed her blood), though not before acquiring a few items from Ust Natha.

I used a novel approach for the Kua-toas - since you can't hide from them, and also since they are pretty fast, so it's very difficult to range them too, decided to take them head on. I got Corthief VIII up to -17 AC and then used things like cloudkills/fireballs on the Kua-Toa - this worked pretty well, but had to gulp heal potions now and then.

Tried to use traps vs. the demon knights, but it didn't work very well - was necessary to tank them, but had high AC so that helped.

Time to leave this place. Bought a few things around Amn. Got the human flesh armor (traps once again taking out the mages trying to kill me.)

Dealt with Reijek's hide-out. I got my AC to -20 vs. piercing and did very well against these enemies.

Baldr506_zps04m1o1e5.png

Was time to deal with Bodhi - I had a few allies (lost the paladin ally he got level drained and chunked). I used the phantom blade and sunray via helm of brilliance, and this worked very well.

Baldr507_zps1ifgklfg.png

Will forge an item or two, then time to talk to Elhan next session.

EDIT:

Forgot to mention, I also took out the Twisted Rune Hide-out. I won easily once they showed up. NOTE: I had to reload - I had used a protection from undead scroll and Shangalar never showed up. I waited till the scroll expired but he still didn't show. I was stuck (but not dead), so had to reload because I thought this was a bug (here's a hafling in their hide-out they aren't confronting). Does anyone disagree that the reload was justified?

• ussnorway and Blackraven like this

Blackraven

Blackraven
  • Members
  • 1,377 posts

Great progress Corey. I agree that a reload was justified.

Btw my playtrhough with Palla, which was going swell with her approaching the 2 million XP mark and several quests completed, came to an abrupt end yesterday when she got very needlessly Held by a Ghast in Prebek's home. (I didn't even watch to see if she'd make it thanks to her buffs.) As with Belle's fall in the old tunnels, this was yet another case of Blackraven stubbornly playing on when a RL intervention really demanded a short break from the game.

• corey_russell likes this

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Thanks for the feedback, Blackraven. Sorry to hear about Palla.

• Blackraven likes this

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Corthief VIII the level 39 solo halfling thief - Update 13 - FINAL SoA Update!

So Corthief VIII finally arrives in Suldanesslar. His plan was pretty simple, but as it turns out, not easy to implement. Avoid fighting anything unless necessary. This meant avoiding golems mostly, but other enemies had to be dealt with.

One of the dangerous enemies was Ramilat - while I did try firetooth dagger, I didn't want to get mazed, so instead lured him to my waiting traps.

A few golems were in the way, and used traps on them as well. Rakshakshas had to be dealt with, mostly traps and backstabs..

Time for Nizi! I wish I could say I had a deep plan, but I knew toe-to-toe as a thief was suicide. So instead 7 spike traps greeted Nizi at the entrance - Nizi did not survive.

Baldr508_zpspw8v8pza.png

I could not save the priestess (not even close) - eventually had to use traps outside for those Rakshakshas.

The palace was entered and got ready for the Tree of Life "fight" with Irenicus. An assortment of traps were laid down - Irenicus did not survive.

Spoiler

Here's my approach in hell:

1) spared the dragon

2) used Dragonslayer to obtain tear, being careful to stay out of sight of the beholders.

3) sacrificed an innocent rather than my stats

4) defeated the genie, after a long time, the genie finally stumbled into my waiting spike traps.

5) took pity on Sarevok - 7 spike traps did NOT kill him - had to use melee to finish him off - but since I was immune to +1 weapons, was just a matter of time.

Irenicus Fight:

I laid some traps to the right (since I know the traps at the spawn point in this fight don't work on my install). I tried something new (for me). I had cast Gate with SotM equipped (which CLAIMS to give protection from evil on the player). Well, in my install at least, that didn't work at all. I then tried to lure the fiend to the traps, but they did NOT go off! (Guess despite being attacked, the game thought the pit fiend was friendly).

So in desperation, I triggered the Irenicus fight. I tried the best I could to lure the enemy demons to the spike traps at right - the traps managed to kill two demons. I tried to run away, and noticed my summoned pit fiend was actually fighting the enemies. Corthief VIII then ran all over the place, trying to place more traps for Irenicus and just try to stay away from the demons. Despite layering traps two more times, the traps did NOT kill Irenicus!

Uh oh. I then tried cloudkills from the shadows - this was kind of working, but Irenicus regen was huge and I couldn't keep him in the cloud.

I then tried massive # of shambling mounds. Irenicus and his Genie were killing the mounds faster than I could even summon them.

I was starting to get desperate. With no traps working, no summons working, I was running out of options. I decided I had no choice - I needed to into the scroll stack I was originally going to use for Melissan. I had a mordy sword - I brought it against Irenicus, plus a few summons, plus my improved haste with Blackrazor - this did NOT kill him - in fact, Irenicus was healing faster than we could hurt him! I tried a number of summons, and number of improved hastes, to no avail.

Baldr510_zps829ebyrn.png

I ran away and hid - I was getting super desperate at this point - traps, summons and melee or ranged were not working - what was left? The only thing I hadn't tried at this point was to become slayer myself! So I turned into Slayer and attacked Irenicus!

Baldr511_zpskcpjzrpy.png

Finally, Irenicus got to near death! But I was ALSO near death! So I ran to use some potions and then Irenicus got into range... and SURRENDERED!

Baldr512_zps4qbmcyu5.png

This was an intense battle. Took maybe an hour of real time. Glad to make it, but certainly wonder what's in store for Corthief VIII in ToB...

• ussnorway, Grimwald the Wise, Dyara and 1 other like this

Jabberwock

Jabberwock
  • Members
  • 62 posts

Very nice battle against Irenicus. I personally have come to love slayer change and think it's an under appreciated mechanic and combat option. 

• corey_russell and semiticgod like this

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Very nice battle against Irenicus. I personally have come to love slayer change and think it's an under appreciated mechanic and combat option. 

Thanks! I rarely use the mechanic, mainly because I prefer to keep reputation high for shop prices. Also, I usually play parties, and you just don't need it then.

• Grimwald the Wise likes this

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts

Corthief does not seem to be a very nice person!

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Corthief does not seem to be a very nice person!

He's just very practical. It will be a very long time (if ever) that I try a solo pure thief again - I wanted to give him the best chance of success. Thus, kept his stats and sacrificed the peasant, and kept the Blackrazor.

• Grond0 and Grimwald the Wise like this

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Corthief VIII level 40 (level cap) solo halfling thief - Update 14 (Saradush, Pocket Plane Challenge #1, Illsaera)

Corthief VIII's first challenge in ToB was to deal with Illsaera. I intended to use traps but forgot to rest before talking to the statue! Woops...So instead equipped reflection shield, summoned some shambling mounds and hoped for the best. Illsaera did a death spell, so summons didn't help. However, Corthief VIII did detect illusions to remove her mirror images. Then melee was enough, even at 1 APR.

Next challenge was pocket plane #1 challenge. I was a bit worried about this, as there's no way to use traps, and had a feeling running/hiding/backstabbing wouldn't work (which is correct, the enemies have a follow-me script on the PC). So the plan was put cloudkills on Corthief VIII and then stay invisible with SotM and apply more cloudkills/heal potions until enemies were dead.

Baldr513_zpsriq45gko.png

This worked great UNTIL the 3 bosses showed up (Linvail, Ellisime, and another woman). They couldn't be fooled by invisibility. So then Corthief VIII tried hasting himself and melee/ranged, but he took more damage then he was giving out. He had the Reflection Shield equipped to foil the ranged attacker (who died from their own attacks!), but it was a very long fight, touch and go. Corthief VIII did eventually win.

This gave Corthief VIII great concern on how to deal with the many soldiers with magical weapons you have to deal with on the first encounter in Saradush. He gave that some thought...he wasn't sure if running/hiding/backstabbing would mess things up, since when the last opponent falls, you need to talk to Melissan. But things like cloudkill are out of the question because of bystanders, and there's no way to use traps either (at least, not if I hold my position). So despite ZERO dual-wield skill, Corthief VIII dual wielded the Belm and Kundane, hoping the extra attacks would make up for the Thac0 issues - they did!

After Lazarus with his spellbook issue, a lot of items (mostly spells) were bought until out of funds. Next step was to get into Gromnir's Castle. Corthief VIII paid a "prostitute" who took him into the Jail - dual wielding Blackrazor/Belm and also protected by AoP and Charm Helmet, make short work of most of the vampires - traps were used for the powerful one near the entrance to Gromnir's Castle. 

Traps, Cloudkills, and running/hiding/backstabbing, as well as dual-wielding if safe enough (still no dual wield skill). Summons were used to draw out the powerful spells of the mage in the vicinity.

Corthief gave a LOT of thought how he would deal with Gromnir. Corey_Russell knew from his Picenon experience that invisibilities/hiding doesn't work that fight, not quite enough room and also they dispel invisibilities with True Sight. Corey_Russell also vaguely recalled his duo with Dogdancing, and they weren't doing enough damage, but when Dogdancing used lightning wands with both of us protected from electricity, that was enough to tip the battle.  Corthief VIII decided why not do the same thing.

But first he would "practice" his idea on the party guarding the door to Gromnir's Castle. This worked well.

Spoiler

Charges on the lightning wands were low, so they were recharged before dealing with Gromnir. A lot of buffs were used on Corthief VIII, including expensive buffs from scrolls - wanted to be sure Corthief survived. One of the keys of spamming the lightning wands was to have the Cloak of Reflection equipped (And BotIB) to make him immune to his own bolts. The other key was to constantly move - fire, move for about 5 secs, fire etc. and keep at it. Also a single cloudkill would be shot at the mages, to try to disrupt their spells. Mages were protected, so Corthief VIII concentrated most of his fire on the melees, since the ranged attackers were negated by the Reflection Shield.  Screenshots of the fight in the spoiler below.

Spoiler

It takes a lot of running, and lots of shots from his lightning wands, but Corthief VIII DOES win the fight!

Baldr520_zpsuxulwk9n.png

Before leaving Saradush, Corthief VIII also helps out Mateo - using a combination of backstabs, traps, and lightning wand attacks to get the job done. He also is using Gromnir's armor, so that Corthief VIII can use boots of grounding, which in turn makes his lightning bolts HEAL himself.

Corthief then returns to the pocket plane, to prepare his venture into the Northern Forest. He won't be able to use the lightning strategy at first, since there's a merchant in the area, and it would be a disaster if he got hit.

EDIT: One of the screenshots shows me getting MASSIVE experience from this fight - the only thing I can figure is they always want to PC to level after completing this major accomplishment? (I had like 1.5 million to my next and final level - put 1 pip in dual wield)

• ussnorway, Grimwald the Wise and Blackraven like this

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts

It certainly is massive!

Blackraven

Blackraven
  • Members
  • 1,377 posts

Congrats Corey on beating Irenicus! And with such patience :) 

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Congrats Corey on beating Irenicus! And with such patience :)

Thanks! It was really touch and go, glad Corthief VIII was able to pull through in the end.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Corthief VIII the level 40 (level cap) solo halfling thief - Update 15

Corthief VIII continues to make progress. The undead at the old Bhaal Temple were defeated by a protection from undead scroll plus 2x sunrays (helm of brilliance, Daystar).

Corthief VIII then pressed into Yaga's Temple. (Referring to the opening battle as you enter) As a solo thief, I couldn't think of many good ways (hardly any, really) of dealing with the firegiants. Traps in the side rooms would be dangerous, as it is very possible to get trapped. So instead, Corthief VIII cloudkills from the shadows - my fighter//thief Picenon had do the same thing. Slow, but eventually got the job done.

Spoiler

Then this lower level was then defeated by a mixture of cloudkills, lightning bolts, spike traps, snares, backstabs, and arrows. Corthief VIII does have some summons but they are all weak and short lasting, so didn't bother. Corthief VIII used the flesh armor for maximum saves - the magic resistance didn't hurt either.

Upstairs, Corthief VIII had to defeat two fire giants straight up, and he took the most damage he has taken in quite a while - he usually doesn't stick around to let enemies get a swipe at him.

Spoiler

Forgot to mention, when I was in the North Forest, I got this scare...

Spoiler

I was thinking, how can I save the merchant?

Fortunately, I later discovered, this wasn't THE merchant - apparently this merchant always dies and never noticed/found this out before.

Back to Yaga's Temple, for the 2nd level, arrows, lightning, and cloudkills did most of the work. Then hearts were obtained - traps to take out Imix.

I had pre-laid traps for Nylee - I was about the fight then had second thoughts - why fight at all? She already extinguished Yaga's Heart - I am already at level cap and definitely don't need loot - let's scram! So I did....

After buying last minute things from Lazarus in Saradush, then headed for Yaga's siege camp. I would run around and hide to "park" enemies,, then come back and fight Yaga, with only a few allies helping him - I still had to move alot, but my attack was simply +3 bullets and lightning wand. I had a "park" enemies a few more times, but the bullets and lightning eventually slay Yaga-Shura!

Spoiler

What to do with Oasis - I was reasonably certain that I didn't want to kill them - sure I miss out on ton of loot, but their follow-me scripts would be a huge pain, very little room to move and certainly couldn't hide. The only thing of interest is the Answerer, anyways. So my plan was to equip the AoP (for the spell haste) and cast FoD from scroll at the leader - it worked! I picked up the loot and fast as I could ran out of there. I did have -19 AC,, so they were rarely hitting me as I was moving. Screenshots below show success and the mass of enemies pursuing Corthief VIII...

Spoiler

Corthief has made it to Amkethran and is considering his next move - he decides he will probably help out the smugglers, so the can't get the anti-backstab boots. After that, time to deal with either Draconis or go after Sendai.

• ussnorway likes this

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Corthief VIII the level 40 solo halfling thief - FINAL Update!

Corthief VIII tried to kill the dragon from of Draconis with traps - but failed, as stalkers set them off.

Corthief then tried so many things, lightning, time stops, black blade of disasters, haste potions all to no avail - I'll let the screenshots tell the rest of the story:

Spoiler

Corthief VIII did not survive - RIP Corthief VIII.

• ussnorway, Blackraven and semiticgod like this

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts

Sorry to hear about Corthief Corey. :(

So near, and yet so far.

• corey_russell and semiticgod like this

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

Corthief gave a LOT of thought how he would deal with Gromnir. Corey_Russell knew from his Picenon experience that invisibilities/hiding doesn't work that fight, not quite enough room and also they dispel invisibilities with True Sight.

Baldr521_zps9djzemzw.png

EDIT: One of the screenshots shows me getting MASSIVE experience from this fight - the only thing I can figure is they always want to PC to level after completing this major accomplishment? (I had like 1.5 million to my next and final level - put 1 pip in dual wield)

It is possible to use invisibility in that fight.  Although the fog of war isn't active in that area you can still get out of sight range before True Sight kicks in and then cloudkill to your heart's content.

In relation to experience that certainly is an impressive award - almost 17 times the level cap for the entire game!

Sorry to see Draconis claim another victim, but there's no shame being eaten by him ...

• corey_russell, ussnorway, Grimwald the Wise and 2 others like this

Jabberwock

Jabberwock
  • Members
  • 62 posts

Take two on trying to get a berserker through SoA. This time we brought the claw and golden pantaloons instead of leaving them on the floor in Sarevok's palace...

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Russell VI and his band of paladins entering BG 2 portion of the Trilogy No-Reload Challenge

Russell VI and gang have successfully made it out of Chateau Irenicus. Circus problem also easily solved - when you got true sight and protection from evil, there was little doubt as to the result.

Stats of characters are same as start of BG 1 - here is where the tomes in BG 1 went:

1) CHA tome went to Hanna since she's always in front - this gives her a natural 18 CHA which makes her great for leader and seller//buyer.

2) STR tome went to Misty. In part because I want her to bash chests, instead of risking Russell. Also, with her natural elemental resistances, it's a bit safer for her than Russell VI. In addition, of the 3 melee characters (her, Hanna, Joshua), the others are 18/93 while Misty was only 18/55 - thus the 19 boost helped her the most.

3) CON went to Russell VI for obvious reason - he must survive. DEX tome went to Russell as well. All others except Paja had a natural 18, but Russell didn't. Paja's DEX is terrible, so one DEX wasn't going to make a difference for her, but it does for Russell VI.

4) All INT and WIS tomes went to Paja, since she is our "loremaster".

We will talk with Galen next session.

• ussnorway, Grond0, Grimwald the Wise and 1 other like this

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Russell VI the Inquisitor and his band of paladins - Update 2, Early Battles

Russell VI and team have gotten some things done. Right out of leaving the dungeon, Russell VI decided he wanted Mencar's full plate. We used all our haste potions, did what buffs we did and attacked the mages. As we knew they would, they opened with confusion, and managed to confuse 1/2 the party - Misty in particular was taking a beating. Paja and Russell VI do dispel magics and Misty recovers with a sliver of life - she gulps and extra healing potion and she's back in business. Success! Hanna got the first full plate.

Spoiler

Next major quest was freeing Hendak - but the guards were easy, and we used divide and conquer on the Beastlord's pets - we were able to kill 2/3rds of the pets before the fight with the Beastlord was triggered.

After that, we worked on the Lilacor quest. Only major scare here, was Misty got held by a hobgoblin shaman - she was getting hurt bad, but dispel magics got her back in business - she actually got held twice, so had to do two dispel magics. Rest of quest was straight-forward. Joshua will now use the Lilacor - he is now immune to charm, confusion, and also hold (being undead hunter).

Next up, was to enter the moored slaver ship via the sewers. We did what buffs we did, but the battle went very well.

Baldr536_zps2eam9ga6.png

For the 2nd phase, we had to have Misty sit the battle out, as she was badly hurt from the prismatic spray trap - but the other 5 got the job done!

Baldr537_zpsmwyq5pr5.png

Finally, the last battle of the session, we headed to Watcher's Keep to get some badly needed heal potions, but of course got ambushed by Suna Seni - the only thing of consequence the enemies did was a lightning bolt at Paja - otherwise, the enemies went down with little more than a hiccup.

At Watcher's Keep, we got all their extra healing potions and the gem bag. We window-shopped the firetooth crossbow, but be a bit still till we can afford that. We will probably deal with the graveyard undead next - Namuraa would be nice for Misty.

• ussnorway and Grimwald the Wise like this

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Russell VI the Inquisitor and his band of paladins - Update 3, Captain Dennis

So Russell VI really, really wanted Captain Dennis and team's full plates. Russell VI thought he had a good strategy, take out the mage first, then the melees. This turned out to be a huge blunder though - the mage was not our problem, the melees were! We wasted a lot of attacks attacking a mage who could not be hurt. Dispel magics did NOT work, he was too high level apparently (we are level 9).

As a result, the party members die, one by one, with Russell VI the sole survivor!

Baldr539_zpspmya19pw.png

Russell VI was hoping to range attack the enemies, but no room plus Captain Dennis was giving as good as he got with his range weapon. Plus Russell VI out of healing potions! Russell VI runs all over the inn, with the enemies following...only to end up at the battle scene!

Baldr540_zpszwyhuig5.png

Russell VI needed help carrying the party's equpiment - but he had just enough money to resurrect ONE party member. So he resurrected Misty, and she carried the heavy stuff (with her 19 STR) and Russell carried the rest - Russell VI was still overburdened.

By putting things in containers, as well as abandoning anything cheap (like 1 gold ammo), the duo managed to get the party's stuff and slowly made it to an inn.

Baldr542_zpsjpafkuaa.png

The duo rested to heal, then went to Waukeen's Promenade to go to our chest there, and dump the party's stuff there. We still don't have enough gold to resurrect the other party members - what to do?

Russell VI and Misty headed for D'Arnise Keep - we got into a massive Orog ambush - no way we are sticking around with the just two us, and not particularly well equipped yet either. So we run away.

At D'Arnise Keep, the idea was to recruit Nalia so that when she was in our party at the end we would get the 10,000 gold and resurrect everyone. Silly me - no room for her! So I had to send her away. Which means now we miss out on the gold AND the experience - doh!

Misty and Russell VI SLOWLY kill a troll. However, they have so much loot nearby, that they are full without pressing any further? Maybe we have enough to resurrect the others?

So first we head to the graveyard (for the free rests). Then duo SLOWLY identifies the unidentified loot (lot of it) with the glasses of identification. Then they went to Waukeen's Promenade, so the stuff we weren't going to keep, and put the rest in our "bank" nearby. We then go to the Temple of Illmater and the party is re-united!

Baldr543_zpshyqpqdg7.png

Party immediately heads to our chest, and re-equip everyone, then rest for 1 day 16 hours to heal up.

We are low on heal potions, but nothing doing about that. We head to D'Arnise Keep, enter, and will save for next session. I thought my run was over, was glad I recovered, though out a lot of potions with little to show for it.

• ussnorway, Grimwald the Wise, Blackraven and 1 other like this

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts

A close shave that Corey!

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

A close shave that Corey!

Indeed! Was quite surprised that my run is still going.

• Grimwald the Wise and Blackraven like this

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Russell VI the Inquisitor and his band of paladins - Update 4, REVENGE on Captain Dennis

Russell VI wanted to make Captain Dennis pay for killing Russell VI's comrades. But clearly the party needs upgrades first, although cash is still in short supply. So these things were done first:

1) A few upgrades while doing D'Arnise Keep - in particular Glaicas' full plate and Flail of Ages for Hanna.

2) Officer Dirth's full plate

3) Bought a protection from petrification and put on Misty - she then showed herself to the genies of Trademeet - and after the petrification attempts got lured out, the party assisted - this netted the shield of Harmony

4) Umar Hills quests done (not the corrupted temple yet), mainly to get the Shield of the Lost.

5) Firetooth +4 Crossbow for Russell VI

6) a protection ring for a front-liners - all melees now have a protection ring.

Russell VI then went back to the scene of the crime (Delosnar's Inn) - after searching a bit the quarry has been found!

Baldr544_zpsh2ne2hmx.png

During the fight, Misty got held - I realized later, she should have been using the shield of harmony (Hanna had it), because the other melees are immune to hold, and Hanna can just use a charm helmet to be immune to charm.

Baldr545_zpsndachyay.png

A Inquisitor dispel magic freed Misty, she gulped an extra healing potion and resumed fighting. Hanna was getting hammered so she had to retreat. What's nice is at one point Hanna had retreated and the sole enemy left was Captain Dennis - Captain Dennis was VERY intent on killing Hanna - but he couldn't get past the party members! So Captain Dennis duly stood there while the entire party filled him with swords and ranged fire - scarily, it took a while but he goes down - the party has been AVENGED!

Baldr546_zpsuslv4cj6.png

We have returned to Trademeet and will investigate the Druid Grove next.

• ussnorway, Grond0, Grimwald the Wise and 2 others like this

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Russell VI the Inquisitor and his band of paladins, Update 5

The session started out well. After solving Trademeet problems easily, Russell VI decided to be bold and decided to take on Tarnor's Gang, even though the paladin saves aren't that good yet. We did of course do what buffs we could, as well as 3 summons - the party by this point does have both good weapons and armor - can it be enough? Yes, it was! And no deaths, although Misty came close. Roger's Sea Troll and the kobolds helping the Rakshaksha were of no problem.

Spoiler

The party then decided to work on the undead at the old Amaunator Temple. Not surprisingly, the party did excellent, and with our low levels, the undead spawns were no problem at all.

Even though we were level 9, I thought we could defeat Thaxxy - IF Thaxxy would ignore the bulk of the party and only attack the undead hunters, who would be immune to Thaxxy level drain. The party stood to the side, as far as sight from Thaxxy as possible, under an Alcove. Thaxxy did a great play though - he wing buffeted the undead hunters, and then pursued the party!!! Who had no level drain protection (and our low levels weren't going to hold for long). Everyone converged the dragon with the best stuff we had. Thaxxy wasn't done doing great plays yet - it did a chaos! And 1/2 the party is confused! Worse, BOTH inquisitors, who could have otherwise dispelled the confusion, were affected! We don't have many extra healing potions left (about 2 per character) - all but one I think were used up this fight. What often happened is when one paladin was near death, they would run and try to heal with the small blue potions, and another paladin would take the other's place in melee. Forrest was chased and was the first to die (but not chunked). But one by one, paladins were badly wounded and ran to the alcove where the dragon can't follow (though Thaxxy can level drain...). Recently, we had bought the girdle of Hill Giant Strength for Paja - this likely made her do big damage to Thaxxy, which in turn made her get its attention. Sadly, Paja was level drained to nothing! We also lost all her equipment (equipment of note is sling of seeking, sling of dragon's bane, glasses of identification, and girdle of Hill Giant Strength). The party however was hurting the dragon. What I didn't notice until after the battle was Russell VI was very near death himself! He was drained 6 levels (he is only level 9). However, despite most of the party being badly wounded, Thaxxy does fall!

See spoiler tag to see screenshots of the above account.

Spoiler

Baldr555_zpsjdrxo4js.png

The party then retreated the way they came in, leaving the shade lord alone, since we need to sell/raise Forrest/recruit Keldorn, and also buy any blue potions we can find. After selling the loot, we had enough money to buy the crossbow of searing for Keldorn - that plus Russell VI's firetooth crossbow could be quite useful against enemy casters, not to mention make most trolls a piece of cake.

Party has returned to Umar Hills, and will deal with the shade lord next update.

Party Stats

Hanna the Undead Hunter - 77 HP, 90 kjills, Iron Golem

Misty the Cavalier - 90 HP, 97 kills, Thaxxl'syllyia

Joshua the Undead Hunter - 102 HP, 85 kills, Crypt King

Russell VI the Inquisitor - 101 HP, 96 kills, Spirit Troll

Forrest the Paladin - 73 HP, 77 kills, Glaicas

Keldorn the Inquisitor, 95 HP, 0 kills

• ussnorway, Grimwald the Wise, Blackraven and 1 other like this