Baldur's Gate 1 No-Reload Challenge

• Please log in to reply
16394 replies to this topic

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
Candar dwarven fighter, crossbow expert - FINAL Update

So the party continues their quest. Most battles were completely unremarkable. Some battles of note:

* Mounatain Maulers - these guys were rather belligerent, but nothing some summons (via wand) and ranged attack couldn't handle.
Posted Image

* Iron Throne building, 5th floor - with all these magic casters, didn't really want to risk the party. So sent Ajantis alone (properly buffed of course). He did excellent. I got lucky one of the melees got caught on another melee so Ajantis only had to deal with one melee at a time. He used arrows of detonation.
Posted Image

* Prat and pals in Candlekeep Catacombs - Ajantis soloed these guys, probably buffed and using arrows of detonation

* Undercity Iron Thone party - we almost had to raise Ajantis, but Ajantis soloed this party via arrows of detonation (again, properly buffed like protection from fire/lightning, magic blocking potion, haste, greenstone amulet charge). See how close he died:
Posted Image

* Sarevok Battle:
Party buffed themselves, mostly with magic blocking/protection from fire/haste potions/strength potions.  Garrick then crept up on the left side and fired a dispel magic out of sight. This dispels Sarevok's haste and Semaj's protections. He then fired a cloudkill (via scroll) and booked it back to party. Garrick and Jaheira then summoned some monster summon blockers (about 4 batches worth). During this process Semaj appeared and cast Malison. However, since he had no proctections, the party unloaded on him including magic missiles from Garrick and Semaj fell in I think 2 rounds.
Posted Image

Tazok and Angelo are still taking damage from the cloudkill, but not involved in the action. With only Sarevok in sight, we summoned 2 more batches of summons and then unloaded with ranged power and wand of heavens. Sarevok fell in about 4-5 rounds later:
Posted Image

So Candar will continue to Baldur's Gate Two in his Trilogy run. Hopefully he can get a bit further than my other figther runs. Final Stats:
Posted Image

Final Party Status:
Ajantis - Level 7 Paladin, 58 HP, -6 AC
Khalid - Level 8 Fighter, 64 HP, -5 AC
Jaheira - Level 7 Fighter/Level 8 Druid, 59 HP, -2 AC
Imoen - Level 9 Thief, 44 HP, 0 AC
Garrick - Level 9 Bard, 24 HP, 3 AC

Chunked party members:
Minsc
Dynaheir

Melchom

Melchom
  • Members
  • 73 posts
Congratulations corey! :) And best of luck with BG2.

Given my endless BG: TotSC restarts and character changes I've never actually progressed to BG2 .. However this year will be the year ;)

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
Thanks I need it - as a fighter, I won't have any innate buffs to protect me from enemy mojo, so he will be heavily dependent on his allies buffing him to be successful. I've learned a lot from my failed runs, however, so maybe this time will be it...

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Well done corey and best of luck in BG2

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
Congratulations Corey.

Grello is out, survived by Imp12. A stupid selection mistake, asking if Dradeel needed a bib and receiving a fireball in return. Not sure if this was insta-death or just damage greater than his 22hp.

The Fred

The Fred
  • Members
  • 2,516 posts
OK, so, against my better judgement, I decided that it's finally time to give this a go.

At the moment, I'm thinking a Ranger/Cleric (haven't played one yet I don't think) with the following mods:
BG1 Unfinished Business
BG1 Quest Pack
Dark Horizons
Stone of Askavar
The Grey Clan: Episode 1
A Mod of My Own Making, which will increase the stack sizes of ammo, potions and gems.
A Mod of My Own Making, which makes certain druid-only spells uncastable by party Clerics, and Strength of One and Dispel Magic castable by party Druids.

Unfortunately I don't have BG2 so I can't run TuTu or BGT, or any mods specifically for them. However, I think the above selection should be interesting enough (especially given DH and SoA are both new to me and I haven't tested my custom mods, so they may break the game).

Edited by The Fred, 22 January 2011 - 06:09 PM.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

Gate70 wrote...
Grello is out, survived by Imp12. A stupid selection mistake, asking if Dradeel needed a bib and receiving a fireball in return. Not sure if this was insta-death or just damage greater than his 22hp.

I have to admire your persistence with those imps!  I'm normally too scared to let one out of the backpack, let alone a whole flock.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Arbiter was trying to complete the game without anyone dying, but Kagain got killed by Greywolf who surprisingly hit him twice in quick succession while Kagain was running away.  However, I had a few thoughts about tactics during that game and feel it's worth another go.

Newt also wishes to be a druid, but is starting off as a berserker to offer that extra je ne sais quois.
Posted Image

So far have completed Candlekeep then recruited Imoen and cleared the first area.  In the second area avoided bits where missile users are likely to be found and just pillaged the ogre.  Then headed to Beregost (as there is a lower danger of a bandit ambush that way).  Killing some spiders and pacifying Marl gave Imoen a level (she is a bard in this incarnation) and 8 more HP, which reduces her vulnerability significantly.  Picked up Kagain for use in tanking - next stop the road south.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Newt's Narrative
Had no problems in clearing the road down to Nashkel.  Did carnival area, top of Nashkel mines and Drizzt's area.  By that stage everyone had a level and went north again via Friendly Arms and up to the bridge area.  I was concerned about trying to run past the ankheg there, but retrieving a bowl for a priestess gave Kagain a 3rd level and pushed on through to Ulgoth's Beard to acquire a ring of free action.  A couple of the more interesting encounters were:
- Knowing Greywolf often uses a potion of speed I made sure Imoen had one as well when she confronted him (as she is the character that is most likely to be attacked she needed to be the hare while the others shot Greywolf up).
- Charmed Dushai and attempted to pickpocket him for his ring, but failed.  Newt and Kagain were both already berserked to try and finish him quickly, but fortunately he obeyed Viconia's command and went down hard.

Imoen started with 2 wands of magic missiles (one as she is a bard I think), but both are nearly exhausted as they've been used regularly against spell users.  Newt has just got over 5,000 XP and recruited Edwin (wanted him to have a couple of levels for slightly more staying power).  Just arrived at the gnoll stronghold under Edwin's urging.

Melchom

Melchom
  • Members
  • 73 posts
Ciaphas - After the Flight

With Gorian fallen new allies were needed.. Leaving behind the silly girl from Candlekeep a better prospect was found in Montaron. As malicious as I was murderous following the armoured fiends ambush he cackled as my blade found his mad campanions heart,"Saves me the trouble!" he was heard to exclaim.

Moving SE to civilisation (it was far too open in the wilderness with the ambushers no doubt hard on my heels) another recruit was found in the brutish Kagain. Consumed with avarice but a fierce warrior and one who could be relied upon to do what was necessary without any qualms.

Entering the nearest Inn it looked like a brawl was about to ensue and so with all the attention fixed downstairs Montaron took to the stairs. Spying such a fine cloak was too much for his clutching fingers and he made an attempt to have it away before anyone noticed .. however the fat buffoon it belonged to made the fatal mistake of noticing. His cries for help were permanently silenced and lost in the sounds of revelry from below..

Ciaphas (now with CHA of 20 thanks to the cloak :) ) found the innkeeper more than willing to assist and his prices most reasonable!

Better quicked and rested after the hurried flight the trio explored the town. Employment with a duplicious witch was shortlived (for her at least!) and gave the little band some well needed funds. A sudden mysterious spate of burglaries also helped with outfitting before heading south to Naskhall.

The road south was relatively uneventful besides some fools falling onto our thirsting blades and providing some ready coin and valuables for trade.

The Mayor of Naskhall was known to Montaron .. the scheming little wretch! His secret will not elude for long. Buried in a field was some armour of seemingly arcane property no doubt recently tilled up by those stinking peasants. Fortunately it was liberated by us and now protected our grumbling dwarf.

Heading once again North at the behest of Kagain (we had after all agreed to his foolish search.. and his axe had already proved it's worth) we found what I had suspected. Burnt out caravans and slaughtered folk was all that greeted us North of Beregost. Finally realising his cause was lost he reaffirmed his commitment to my glorious leadership and we moved on once more.

The Friendly Arm Inn was a veritable fortress! Although even in such secure surroundings an assassin found me .. to his misfortune. The churl had the arrogance to question my manners! As if I'd answer to the likes of him. The crows are keeping him company now although .. I'll have to watch myself around the guards. They appeared not to like to see their 'peace' disturbed and are now watching us like hawks.

Some hobgoblins were keeping close to the walls and we found a ready commission in scattering the foolish creatures.. All the better to keep a modicum of respectability and give us a freer reign in the Friendly Arm.

Accepting employment from a foolish gnome we agreed to clear out his home for him (quite literally I'm sure..) he even provided us with anitdote's worth hundreds of gold coins! My suspicious mind wondered what manner of spiders would warrant such a gift .. And not without justification it turned out!

Upon returning to Beregost we found the unnatural spiders were larger than a man and dripping poison! Fortunately the oaf-ish dwarf distracted them while our blades dispatched the horrific creatures. Not much loot awaited us besides sentimental knick-knacks for which the gnome would no doubt reward us. At least the potions were not needed and will be saved for more trying times..

[More to follow when I've more time :) The merry band is still roving and making progress I'm pleased to say!]

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Newt's Narrative
Completed the gnoll stronghold without trouble and decided the time was right to take out Nashkel mines.  Unfortunately after doing all the hard work killing kobolds Shar-teel died.  I had realised she was in the firing line, but considering 5 characters were targeting a single kobold I thought the risk was minimal.  Unfortunately the kobold hit for 4 HP, all characters missed and the kobold then criticalled her for 16 (she only had 18 to start with) - she had recently been dualled from fighter to thief, so was vulnerable to the critical. 

I think I'll restart the same character rather than rolling a totally new one, given that he didn't actually get killed himself.  Next time I'll probably recruit Montaron rather than Shar-teel - I had forgotten that she had such a poor constitution.

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
Another install, by far the best I've managed on Linux so far so may stick with it. Wine, Easytutu. Seven mods in order below - had to manually copy files to get consistent WeiDU version, and also shutdown/restart several times.

Hard Times v2, including Ulcaster encounter

TUTUFIX
- Loadscreens, BG2 ammo stacks, Spirit Summons balance, BG1 Summoning, Hooded Avatars

BG1NPC v18 (restart after bg1npc_v18.exe then copy setup-bg1npc.exe over setup-HardTimes.exe)
- Banters, non-joinable NPC portraits, Shar Teel relationship, NPCs sent to inn
- Alora, Tiax & Eldoth alternate locations, Shar Teel unkillable until in party
- Bardic Reputation Adjustment, Player-Initiated Dialogues

BG1UB v12 (restart after BG1UB_v12.exe then copy setup-bg1ub.exe over setup-bg1npc.exe)
- Ice Island Level Two, The Mysterious Vial, Additional Elminster Encounter
- Angelo Notices Shar-teel,Safana the Flirt, Appropriate Albert and Rufie Reward
- Entar Silvershield in His Home,Scar and the Sashenstar's Daughter
- Quoningar, Shilo Chen, Edie, Flaming Fist Mercenary Reinforcements
- Creature Corrections, Creature Restorations, Creature Name Restorations
- Minor Dialogue Restorations: v12

TUTUGUI (copy setup-tutufix.exe over setup-TutuGUI.exe)

Randomiser V6.3 (restart between randomiser-v63.exe and setup-randomiser.exe)
- Mode 2, random tome, random scrolls/stores. (Mode 1 fails to install).

Generalised Biffing
- Option 1, all items. Eliminated inventory/script lags that I had.

Moran, LG human male cavalier.

Str 18/56
Dex 18
Con 18
Int 11
Wis 13
Cha 17

** B Sword, ** Axe

Imoen, Kivan and Garrick are my immediate companions. Together we undertake a few minor tasks before heading to Nashkel mine. I have to gulp two blue potions when fighting skeletons and then deal with a half-orc cleric called Mulahey. An assassin called Nimbul hits me with one set of magic missiles before dying. Tranzig only manages to cast armour.

A large group of Black Talon Elite archers pierce my chain mail armour and quickly bring me to my knees. I gulp a blue potion and desperately fool them into believing we want to join up, only for Kivan to spoil the ruse. Two more arrows strike and as I raise my hand it crumbles to dust.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Newt's Narrative

On his restart finished Candlekeep, recruited Imoen, Montaron, Kagain and Viconia. Noticed that reputation had gone down to 3 - apparently this setup gives reputation penalties where there are none in vanilla, e.g. killing the thief that wants boots of stealth. Paid almost all the party gold at the temple to get it up to 4, but was disappointed to find that the soldiers in Nashkel still immediately went hostile. Just headed off to the carnival to try and raise some cash to get it up to 5.

Edited by Grond0, 23 January 2011 - 05:43 PM.

Wierdo

Wierdo
  • Members
  • 392 posts
Wierdo's Bhaalspawn Bretheren

Hi Everyone here. I'm joining the no-reload challenge and trying my luck. This is my first attempt.

I'm playing BGtutu with the following mods:
EasytutuNPCkits
Tutufix
LostItems
BG mini-quests & encounters
Sirenes Call
Secret of Bone Hill
The Grey Clan Pt1
BG1 Unfinished Business
BG1NPC
aTweaks
BG2Tweaks
SCS Sword Coast Strategems
LV1NPCs

I decided to start my no-reload game with four made-up characters. They are all rolled fairly but I still feel slightly cheesy because I literally fell asleep at least twice rolling these character up. But don't worry, I'll get over it.

Normally I like to play with two chars. The paired characters thing works well. Each should complement each other, and I like having a Ill/thief paired with a fighter type (preferrably one that can dual to mage or cleric later). However, I wanted to add another two chars just to try them out as I have already seen most of the standard NPC dialogues/quests/storylines etc.

Buddha, the monk is just something I want to do - I want to raise a monk from 1st level and get a 'feel' for the character, as he gets more powerful. This partly resurrects an old PnP D&D character one of my friends played with (he died about 8 times as I recall, until we gave up
resurrecting him!).

Starria, the Cleric/Ranger, is an obvious choice. Her god loves axes, and requires his clerics to be proficient in the weapon (my game has the Yesliock mod that allows this). My reasoning is that I want to have fun with the cool axes, but don't want a Kagain or Yeslick (no offence to dwarves, but I just don't care for those NPCs).

The protagonist for BG1 will be a female gnome illusionist/thief called Wierdo:

Wierdo: Gnome illusionist/thief
S 18 D 18 C 16 I 19 W 11 Ch 10
Longsword  *
Shortbow   *

Annakin: Human Berserker
S 18/69 D 18 C 18 I 18 W 13 Ch 10
Longsword **
Two-weapon **

Buddha: Human Monk
S 18 D 18 C 16 I 11 W 18 Ch 11
Club *  
Dart *

Starria: half-elf Cleric/Ranger
S 18/00 D 18 C 18 I 10 W 18 Ch 12
Axe **
Flail *
Sling *
Two-weapon **

Edited by Wierdo, 10 April 2011 - 10:50 AM.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Best of luck Wierdo.

Newt is still struggling. Trying to get quick money to boost reputation took on the wizard at the carnival - a bit of a risk for a first level party and Kagain got chomped by a summoned dire wolf. In his third incarnation Newt's party was going nicely - just coming up to the gnoll stronghold - when Imoen failed to move quite quickly enough when a war dog approached.  A single attack did 24 HP and she only had 20Posted Image.

I think I'll start once more. If that doesn't work I'll try something different.

Edited by Grond0, 24 January 2011 - 05:42 PM.

Bhryaen

Bhryaen
  • Members
  • 1,082 posts

Wierdo wrote...
... Secret of Bone Hill...

I'm just learning about modding myself, but I think "Secret of Bone Hill" requires the "Worldmap" mod in order to access it the quest areas. At least that's what the readme says...

The Fred

The Fred
  • Members
  • 2,516 posts
Well, I'm definately going to give this a shot, but unfortunately it turns out I don't have my disk with me, so it's going to have to wait. In the meantime, though, I found two more mods I've never played before, "BGSpawn" and "Thalantyr - Item Upgrade" (looks like this patches correctly but it'd probably better be installed before Unfinished Business just to be on the safe side) - the former of which should make life more interesting for a low-level player.

Good luck everyone else who's just started!

Wierdo

Wierdo
  • Members
  • 392 posts

Bhryaen wrote...

Wierdo wrote...
... Secret of Bone Hill...

I'm just learning about modding myself, but I think "Secret of Bone Hill" requires the "Worldmap" mod in order to access it the quest areas. At least that's what the readme says...

You're right - I do have the worldmap (& widescreen) mods installed as well, I just didn't bother listing them as they don't affact gameplay or storyline etc.

I have played with this exact install before, a few months ago. Partly because I was too lazy to re-build BGtutu again. there may have been some minor updates, but I figured I'd just use what i already had.

SOBH is definitely worth the effort. It is designed for chars level (roughly) 3-8 I think. I am playing v275, which includes a 2nd part (Slavers, level 8-12, in Garotten). There is lots of good experience & treasure to be had in these SOBH side-quests, but it doesn't seem to unfairly balance the game.

When I was a kid (waaaay back then ...) I played SOBH in a PnP AD&D game. Ohhh, the memories. Erebuscent (I probably spelt that wrong) did a good job and I take my hat off to him for his modding abilities. even so, expect a few bugs here and there so the game might force me to cheat just to keep a quest on track.

Wierdo

Wierdo
  • Members
  • 392 posts

Back to the main story of my bhaalspawn quartet ...

Used the skip Candlekeep mod, but also stole a potion of Clarity and some gold from the 2nd floor of Winthrop's Inn. However, forgot to buy helmets!

Gorion got killed, picked up Imoen ... found a nice diamond in a tree ...

Met Elminster at crossroads. Wheee.

From Candleskeep we made a dash for the Friendly Arm rather than my usual kill-everything-in-the-map approach. Part of my reason for this was that I had forgotten to buy helmets for Annakin and Starria, and I was scared that they might be taken out by a critical hit from a gibberling or something.

Got to Friendly Arm, went for a walk and founf a ring of Wizardry. Then we scouted around the Inn and found some hobgoblins who obligingly gave us their helmets & a nice ring.

Last hobgob scored a single hit on Annakin - splint armor broken! Yikes, it only took one hit!

Returned flamedance ring to Joia, but then she ran away. Decided that Her house looked pretty good for a night's kip and did so.

Went to the Inn - killed a hostile wizard. He was not a big deal.

Relieved some residents upstairs of some treasure. Got a quest or two - must check out those spiders in beregost, but avoid that guy looking for his belt. Bought some new armor for Annakin & Starria. Wierdo cast a spell and found a familiar - Fairy Dragon. Cool because she can cast invisibility 10' radius. (BTW, Wierdo, Annakin & Starria are all Chaotic Good. Buddha the Novice [Monk] is Lawful Neutral)

Then we went back to the Crossroads (between FAI & Beregost) and decided to clear it out and try to get up a level. We killed the ogre (nice belt for Annakin!) and some bandits at a caravan. However, Buddha was running out of darts so we had to go to Beregost.

In Beregost we have tooled around a bit,have done the slime and necklace quests (both added by mods). However, I don't want to stay here long as we really need to beat up a few more gibberlings before we'll be tough enough (Lv2-3) to take on Silke or those spiders in the house.

Edited by Wierdo, 10 April 2011 - 10:48 AM.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

Wierdo wrote...
In Beregost we have tooled around a bit,have done the slime and necklace quests (both added by mods). However, I don't want to stay here long as we really need to beat up a few more gibberlings before we'll be tough enough (Lv2-3) to take on Silke or those spiders in the house.

As you have SCS installed the spiders will follow you out of the house, which makes them easy meat for ranged weapons.  If you do try that it's a good idea to pause as the outside screen is loading when you leave the house so that you don't waste time moving - if you do wait for a second the spiders will come out in front of you.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Newt's Narrative
Progress so far in his latest incarnation - area names below are from the World Map mod.

Candlekeep - completed all quests except curing the cow and returning identify scroll (wanted to keep those items).
Gorion's Rest - recruited Montaron and Imoen, cleared area and buried Gorion.
Crossroads - found a shiny ring and recovered a couple of belts from an ogre.
Beregost - killed some spiders, stole a cloak, recruited Kagain, Marl attacked me (and my reputation took a hit for putting him downPosted Image).
Beregost Wilderness - recruited Viconia, dealt with pesky mercenaries, found some boots for Montaron, cleared area.
Nashkel Pass - cleared area.
Nashkel - found some armour for Viconia, listened patiently to Noober (level for Imoen), dispatched Neira (level for Viconia), Newt learnt LDM on resting.
Nashkel Mines - confronted Greywolf (level for Newt and Kagain), cleared area above ground.
Dragon's Run - found a shiny ring, got given a magic scroll, picked up Samuel, cleared area.
Crossroads - Kagain went berserk on seeing the caravan bandits, cleared area.
Friendly Arm - found a shiny ring, recovered another ring from hobgoblins, removed a wizard obstructing the doorway to the inn and got Samuel healed (level for Montaron and Imoen).

Wierdo

Wierdo
  • Members
  • 392 posts
Oh, nice tip about the spiders. Main benefit of waiting until say Level 3 is that the cleric can cast slow poison if needed. But yeah, a well managed attack should minimise the possibility of poisoning anyway.

@Newt: In your game with Imoen getting killed by a dire wolf at the gnoll stronghold, why couldn't you just get her raised? Or was it more about the hassle etc?

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

Wierdo wrote...

Oh, nice tip about the spiders. Main benefit of waiting until say Level 3 is that the cleric can cast slow poison if needed. But yeah, a well managed attack should minimise the possibility of poisoning anyway.

@Newt: In your game with Imoen getting killed by a dire wolf at the gnoll stronghold, why couldn't you just get her raised? Or was it more about the hassle etc?

There would be no problem in raising her, but when I originally rolled the character my intention was to try and complete the game without anyone in the party getting killed - just can't resist that extra challenge.  I've done that a few times in vanilla, but not with SCS (where monsters not only retarget much more readily, but also normally concentrate on the weakest character)

Wierdo

Wierdo
  • Members
  • 392 posts

Grond0 wrote...
I've done that a few times in vanilla, but not with SCS (where monsters not only retarget much more readily, but also normally concentrate on the weakest character)

Ironically, I am using that SCS behaviour to my own advantage.

I normally scout with Wierdo (protagonist gnome Illusionist/thief) in shadows, and she is also one of the 'weakest' party members. I then line my party up at an appropriate place, and Wierdo starts shooting her bow to injure/attract them. before running back past the party's ambush position. The monsters then try to attack her and become largely oblivious to the rest of the party pounding them with missile weapons. By the time the monsters start to respond, they have usually been seriously injured or numbers reduced.

That tactic doesn't work so well on dudes with bows, especially guys like bandits, kobold commandos and elite hobgoblins (although the shield spell helps). For them, I usually get a tank link Annakin (berserker) to charge them first - with plate mail + 18 dex + girdle of piercing he becomes very hard to hit with missiles, and they have to respond with melee weapons when he starts hitting them. The rest of the party provides missile support where possible to bring the bad guy down as quickly as possible.

Edited by Wierdo, 26 January 2011 - 08:10 AM.

Wierdo

Wierdo
  • Members
  • 392 posts

All going well so far :

Marl at Feldpost's Inn, in Beregost, seemed very excited and belted Buddha with no warning! Bad idea for Marl. Guess he won't do that again ...

Got bored with having nothing to read except a bounty notice on me, so bought a copy of the Fateful Coin - cool story!

Turns out that old Firebeard is staying across the road, and also wants to read it.

Looted Taerim the Blacksmith's shop at night. Made off with some swords, but one bastard sword was a real beauty (+1).

Looted most of the houses in Beregost - poor pickings, but enough to give me some spending money.

Returned to the crossroads to get some more experience. kobolds, gibberlings, wolves ... Noticed a hole in a rock - with a ring of protection +1 wedged in there! Very cool, I never knew about that ring before.

Finished all the grunt monsters at the crossroads. Imoen & Buddha went up level (level 2!).

Went Back to Beregost to rest, and then to the badlands to kill some time ... and some hobgoblins. Annakin got to level 2!

One of the hobs had some nice boots of stealth - perfect for Wierdo!

Did the entire badlands with no-one getting a scratch. Got into a hairy fight with 3 ghasts & 3 ghouls at once! Fortunately, they were slow. Wierdo managed to backstab one, but otherwise we just used missile weapons and kept running, with Wierdo teasing the undead to chase her (while everyone else shoots), and then swapping roles with other characters as the undead slowly change targets. Imoen got to level 3 (thief skill points into trap detection) and Wierdo got to level 2 as a thief (all skill points into stealth).

Wierdo managed to backstab a gibberling for 18 damage (max possible for backstab with normal longsword (2*8=16), add +2 for 18 STR). Wheee! Can someone please help wipe those giblets of gibberling out of my hair?

Back to beregost to sell some hobgoblin sword etc and a rest at the Jovial Juggler. Then we are off to the Wilderness Lake to see if we can find Bjornin's vicious half-ogres.

Met Drizzt - killed some gnolls. Buddha (monk) got to level 3 and Starria (Cleric/Ranger) got to level 2 as a cleric. Were getting to the point where one hit is unlikely to kill anyone.

Ran into some more bandits - a femal mage (Jemby?), a male cleric or fighter, and a tough hobgoblin with a nasty bow. I sensed something evil and malevolent about them, and so Wierdo slunk into position to try her newfound backstabbing prowess on the mage while Annakin quaffed our single potion of speed and led the rest of the party in a charge from the wings.

Jemby died instantly - Wierdo managed to land another 18 (max) damage backstab on her! The fighter/cleric guy gave an evil rant as though she was still alive! They became hostile and a good fight ensued. The F/C guy drank a potion of giant strength (uh-oh!) and took a big chunk or two out of Annakin - which made Annakin mad (berserk!).

Even so, the hobgoblin had managed to land an arrow on Wierdo, so we all concentrated on the hob and he went down first. However, the F/C proved very hard to hit so we had to do something before he chopped Annakin up into sushi (or Buddha (!) or Starria, who had also closed in for the melee).

Wierdo rifled through her small collection of level one scrolls scavenged from gibberlings and found a lovely gilt-trimmed blindness scroll, which she cast. the F/C failed his save and was blinded! That made it very hard for him to land any hits with his massive strength. Soon enough we managed to land anough blows to brings him down.

Edited by Wierdo, 10 April 2011 - 10:45 AM.