Photo

Baldur's Gate 1 No-Reload Challenge

• Please log in to reply
16394 replies to this topic

The Potty 1

The Potty 1
  • Members
  • 476 posts
Got to Beregost via the FAI easily enough, and decided to take on Silke.

Damn that hurts. What are 4 ressurrections going to cost me?

Sorry, Krimnor's got the wrong portrait because I couldn't save the pngs as 24 and 8-bit bmps using paint. Yes I know, paint, cringe.

Alesia's the Bhaalspawn so she can cast summon familiar. She has a rugged 22 hit points and swaggers about a lot pointing at Krimlor & Grond and sniggering.

Cassia looks like spending the entire game in wolf form. Unfortunately Silke 1-shotted her with her STAFF in the first round. Krimlor & Pot died to magic missiles.

The reason Grond's so healthy is that he got charmed and killed Blackstrider. It's possible the charm had worn off by the time he killed him, but he seemed to enjoy it regardless.

Alesia then drew Silke's attention while Grond put the boot in.

Previously I remember Silke casting a lightning bolt, which was extremely tough to survive. It seems scs has toned her down a bit, or perhaps the fight scales to your level?

The Fred

The Fred
  • Members
  • 2,516 posts

Incantatar wrote...

Does anyone know when the last vanilla game was played in this thread?

It was a while ago now, but all my runs were vanilla (i.e. not TuTu or BGT) for a long time (I only got BG2 relatively recently). The main problem is just that most mods are written for TuTu or BGT. I broke certain components out for BG1  because they didn't really need any non-BG1 functionality but most of SCS and many others wouldn't work. :?

The Potty 1 wrote...

Previously I remember Silke casting a lightning bolt, which was extremely tough to survive. It seems scs has toned her down a bit, or perhaps the fight scales to your level?

As I recall, she would use Improved Invisibility, hit you with Lightning Bolt, then (probably) spam MMs. I think pre-TotSC had invisible foes even harder to find so I remember her being truly deadly, but SCS just reshuffles everything.

I'm feeling I may try Daakaris again. That, or a Paladin kit; I don't recall trying any (though I put some on AJ) and they look quite cool.

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
So...Grond is the sole survivor of Candlekeep to Beregost for the time being, with Serg and Alesia still to arrive.

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,558 posts
The Story of BlackStrider & The Motley Crue (Update #1):

After equiping ourselfs we attended Candlekeep's tasks (rat hunting, Carbos, Shank). Alesia cast Friends to get an enchanted dagger from Fuller and we bought some healing potions from the local priest before departure. After Gorion was killed we eliminated some Gibberling pack, picked the Diamond from the tree and headed right to the Beregost. It was a midnight upon our arrival so Alesia picked a Potion of Invisibility and Wand of Lightning in local manor as well as an enchanted Bastard Sword in local smithy. Marl was calmed, Landrin's house was cleaned of Spider's infestation (a bit of running all over the town), Firebead Elvenhair got the desired book and we headed south in search of traces of Mirianne's husband. Two Ogrillons were killed, as well as some Ghasts (Alesia performed pretty nice with criticals there and earned the proud name Alesia The Ghast Hunter!). The Friendly Arm Inn was our next destination. While fighting Xvarts Cassia The Were-cat and Krimlor tried to melee for the first time (Cassia was wounded once but nothing serious) and Alesia earned a nice belt by extermination of an Ogre:

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

In FAI we returned Joia's Flamedance Ring, picked another pretty ring for Alesia and met our first serious assassing - Tarnesh. Krimlor Commanded him, Alesia immediately put him into the deep slumber and Cassia ripped the heart out of his chest (so from now on she is known as Cassia The Furious):

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Landrin was so pleased with her belongings that provided us with a bunch of useful potions and BlackStrider got his first level up.

Current state:

BlackStrider: Blade(2), 15 kills (Huge Spider);
Alesia The Ghast Hunter: Mage(1)/Thief(1), 8 kills (Ghast);
Grond: Archer(1), 13 kills (Ghast);
Cassia The Furious: Shapeshifter(1), 6 kills (Tarnesh) (there is Xvart in statistic but I think Tarnesh is more powerful trophy)
Krimlor: Fighter(1)/Cleric(1), 14 kills (Huge Spider);
Pot: Mage(1), 0 kills (being proficient with Daggers and lacking the throwing ones he not had an opportunity to express himself. Yet...!)

to be continued...

some side thoughts:

@Alesia: You wrote (about your portrait)...: //I had picked the original one because it looks more like me (sadly...).// And a bit earlier: // I decided to use a standard screenshot to make it easier for players to create my character: given the options, it was a toss up between this one and the Alora pic.// Bearing that in mind I chose the current one being inspired by your Alyssa alter-ego (same class). But this our mini-challenge is an attempt to roleplay our RL selves and so the close connection with the character matters a lot (e.g. my portrait is pretty close to me, aside from hair/skin colors...). I'm sorry if I'm in any way affected your feeling... This is your character and choice can only be yours. So if you feel, that initial choice (or any other) is more suitable for you - just tell and we will follow suit... This is true for Potty as well, of course (he also gave us free will of choice).

Edited by Serg BlackStrider, 23 January 2013 - 07:42 PM.

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
Krimlor's portrait is in this lot as a BMP, I think. Icewind Dale Male & Female Portraits www.sorcerers.net/Games/BG2/index_portraits.php
Krimlor's version of events (4)
Many ambushes have been left behind. Krimlor typically fake melees to attract attention while the party escape. Pot is taking the brunt of arrows and Krimlor is considering changing the party order...but nobody will listen.

Krimlor has obtained some ankheg plate while Blackstrider has opted to become proficient with a 2 handed sword despite not being strong enough to wield one (level gained from talking to Noober, as did Pot and Alesia). Brage hands Blackstrider a huge sword to try and grip, maybe later.

Alesia grabs an unidentified girdle (piercing) and Blackstrider learns his first spell (Larloch minor drain) after Jemby, Teyngan and Zekar are defeated. Alesia adds an unidentified ring (fire protection) while Grond delivers a letter to Mirianne and Cassia hauls Samuel to a temple. Pot hangs onto a Dagger of the Golem (revenant not tackled), but is often at a loose end due to a lack of throwing daggers and limited spells.

Cassia grabs a girdle from Krumm then Gnarl and Hairtooth relinquish some gauntlets which are required by Alesia for the time being. Vax hits Krimlor so is commanded into oblivion, then a blinded Zal is reprieved while we skin a winter wolf. Grond takes a pair of bracers off Zal.

Cassia dooms Greywolf and starts to shapeshift. Krimlor has been hit so steps back and casts command. Pot and Krimlor are in melee while missiles fly in, but Greywolf staggers to his feet. Pot steps back and casts a LMD as Alesia casts MM but Cassia leaps in for the kill before either spell lands. Blackstrider takes the unidentified longsword and finally removes his armour.

We fight our way out of an ambush for the first time, then head to a store to pick up daggers for Pot. Grond takes one for the team (not counting this) but is gamely revived by Shoal the nereid. Droth the ogre mage takes a trio of LMD's, then is commanded and attacked.

Cassia bravely melees a ghast as Blackstrider fends off a dire wolf. Krimlor intervenes as Blackstrider staggers back (1/24hp) and Grond kills the ghast.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

Gate70 wrote...
So...Grond is the sole survivor of Candlekeep to Beregost for the time being, with Serg and Alesia still to arrive

Not any more ...

Melange Update 2

Cleared the following areas:
- Caldo & Krumm
- Gnoll stronghold
- Xvart village
Also returned Brage to the temple and had just about finished clearing the lake area.  The last obstacle there was Teyngan's group and Grond went in to assess the situation.  I didn't notice that his stealth had broken - must have been extremely quick as he hid under a tree not far away - and as a result he was exposed to both poison arrows and a horror spell.  The sensible thing to do there would have been to take a potion of invisibility (looted by Alesia from a manor house) when I saw the spell coming, but I decided to risk it. 

Unfortunately Grond failed his saving throw and immediately ran back into his attackers.  As a result he got both shot and chromatic orbed before could Cassia intervene with a remove fear and here he is about to die of poison despite Alesia's settling up with Zekar courtesy of a lightning bolt.
Posted Image

I didn't have a recent save, but statistics from the last save were:
Krimlor, F2/Cl3, 22 HP, 64 kills, 1 death
Blackstrider, Blade 4, 22 HP, 80 kills
Grond, Archer 3, 21 HP, 175 kills, 1 (party) death
Alesia, M2T3, 8 HP, 49 kills
Pot, M3, 8 HP, 24 kills
Cassia, Shapeshifter 3, 17 HP, 21 kills, 1 death

Edited by Grond0, 23 January 2013 - 09:40 PM.

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
Hard luck Grond0. Are you tempted to have another go?

Krimlor's version of events (5)

Black Alaric didn't forsee sanctuaried treasure trove looting. Bassilus proved no problem with three spells disrupted by physical attacks, but his undead "family" failed to die even with Grond hidden near to the mad cleric. The undead force Cassia to glug a healing potion and as Krimlor moved in to help he selects turn undead. Alesia runs out of darts so moves in with a quarterstaff and despite stopping almost immediately a stray missile wounds her. Turn Undead activates and a hasty retreat is made with a new warhammer equipped.
Posted Image

Hobgoblin Boots go to Alesia, then Meilum almost kills Cassia with one blow as a trio of LMD's hit. Krimlor fires in doom then command and Cassia has new bracers.

Edited by Gate70, 23 January 2013 - 11:29 PM.

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
Krimlor's version of events (6)
Pot carelessly switches from ranged to melee (I wonder if pause on weapon would pick this up as dagger/dart are horrible in this regard) and gets an arrow in return. Alesia has to deal with a few traps and then we are on top of Mulahey.
Posted Image

Krimlor and Cassia hold steady as the minions are eliminated and then Mulahey is shown no mercy as Grond sneaks past and everybody else positions.
Posted Image

Cassia has to glug another healing potion when dealing with slimes, then we review spells and rest. I play target with Lamahla - a dangerous job (a glyph of warding is resisted by lucky K).
Posted Image

The battle is one-sided, other than Maneira shooting a defenceless Cassia who is unshifted and has no ranged weapon or suitable spells. Still...
Posted Image

Alesia is now the proud owner of a Potion of Power.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts
@Everyone. I'm glad to see everyone active: I've been enjoying the posts. Sorry I haven't been able to get started yet.

@Grond0. Condolences. What are your plans now? It would be a shame to lose you so soon.

@Gate. Thanks for coming through with the Potion of Power.

@Serg. Thanks for your comments on the portrait. Truthfully, my prefernce would be for the original one (impy girl rather than vampy girl). I don't have strong feelings about it though. I'm willing to use vampy girl if others like that one better.

Btw. This will probably be my last post until Monday (I'm at the airport now). Best of luck everyone!

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,558 posts
Sad news indeed this morning, Grond0...

The Potty 1

The Potty 1
  • Members
  • 476 posts
@Gate OK got Krimlor's portrait, and updated it in shadowkeeper..

@Alesia I reverted your portrait to WOMAN1 as I was struggling to resolve you with Valen, fairly unsuccessfully. Well on the plus side I could find the thief in the group at 0.2 second notice.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
Interesting runs guys, keep it up! Sorry to hear the demise of your character, Grond0. I'm a little unclear is no one in your group a true warrior? Could they have dived in the fray and saved you?

My BG 2 SCS run is still active, just need to find motivation to play it...I'm on a Dragon Age kick at the moment...

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,558 posts

corey_russell wrote...
Interesting runs guys, keep it up! Sorry to hear the demise of your character, Grond0. I'm a little unclear is no one in your group a true warrior? Could they have dived in the fray and saved you?

What do you mean by true warrior? Aside from Grond himself (Archer) we have Krimlor (Fighter/Cleric). And Cassia in *Were-cat* form is more *warrior-type* early on compared to other our characters.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Serg BlackStrider wrote...

corey_russell wrote...

What do you mean by true warrior? Aside from Grond himself (Archer) we have Krimlor (Fighter/Cleric). And Cassia in *Were-cat* form is more *warrior-type* early on compared to other our characters.

I would consider none of those a true warrior, though of course that's up for debate. I would consider a pure warrior one who can use D10 (or D12) SOLELY (e.g,, not multi), so any Fighter or Paladin kit, or Ranger kit. Granted Grond0 is a warrior himself, but that's not much help if he's the one in danger, and he wasn't wearing plate because he said he was stealthed. Guess Barbarian would count with their D12.

As a side note, if I were playing with you guys, my class would be paladin - it's the class closest to my character/personality, the one I have the most affinity with.

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
In that situation I'd take a non-fighter. Invisibility, horror or hold would be more likely to work than a fighter trying to close the gap on multiple enemies.

& I thought paladin initially, but 17 charisma? Nah.

Krimlor's version of events (7)
Krimlor notices Alesia has done something with her hair again.

We quiz Erdane about how to deal with Durlags Tower. Plans are drawn in the dirt, brushed over and improved. After a few minutes we are ready but there is no sign of Grond. No matter, the plan doesn't need him. As we bid farewell to Erdane our errant archer turns up and waves a magical tome at us, laughing that the trapped altar didn't affect him in the slightest. What a guy!

Ardrouine and her son are helped next and praise our reputation (20) in return. A trio of sirines are cut down one at a time, then Cassia risks melee with three carrion crawlers. Sil is next but dies before being blinded, so one of her two companions charms Cassia. Krimlor has expected this and has positioned himself between Cassia and the party. As his stricken companion attacks him the rest of the party are free to finish the sirine and move away. Cassia hits Krimlor at the second attempt so he commands her and retreats out of sight until she recovers.
Posted Image

Blackstrider, blade 5 19 kills.
Alesia mage 3 thief 4, 9 kills. 1 death.
Grond, archer 4, 70 kills.
Cassia, were cat 4>5, 85 kills.
Krimlor fighter 3 thief 4, 25 kills.
Pot mage 4, 7 kills.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

corey_russell wrote...

Warrior or not everyone was doing their best to intervene, but Grond was scouting a bit ahead of the others.  The writing was always on the wall once he decided to run back towards the bad guys - it only took one round to kill him.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Grond0 wrote...

corey_russell wrote...

Warrior or not everyone was doing their best to intervene, but Grond was scouting a bit ahead of the others.  The writing was always on the wall once he decided to run back towards the bad guys - it only took one round to kill him.

I see. If you were so squishy that a single round was all it took to take you down, maybe you should have been wearing plate, doubly so since you were the protagonist...ah, well you can't change the past. You trying again with the same group?

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
Archer can't wear plate, this party is relatively squishy so strategy comes to the fore. Reminds me of the days when I took a full complement of NPC's each run and struggled to keep them alive between temple visits.

Krimlor's version of events (8)
Pot kills Silke with a throwing dagger. Krimlor tries to retire Blackstrider in favour of Garrick but the Blade is having none of it and Garrick has a brief whine before standing aside. "Only joking" says Krimlor, wondering how he is going to regain control of HIS party now. The atmosphere is tense until Pot suggests we shop for more throwing daggers and the festering leadership situation subsides once more.

Blackstrider duly purchases more missiles at the smithy and returns to see the dwarf sulking. "If it bothers you that much I'll stand aside" growls Blackstrider. Krimlor shrugs and wanders off, better to follow than take charge in this manner.

Tranzig is shot to pieces then Melicamp fails to be anti-chickenated. Thalantyr turns and shakes Blackstrider by the hand "Thank you for trying Krimlor, it is easy to recognise you as a born leader". Blackstrider gracefully nods instead of explaining while Krimlor head-butts the wall in anger and accidentally bites through the strap of his helm.

Jared swaps some boots for dealing with a bear, then things get a bit heated. Krimlor doesn't mind too much though as it allows his companions to show called shot, 2 offensive spins, call lightning, insect summons, blindness, stinking cloud and LMD's plus anything else they can think of. Cassia even heals Krimlor before shapeshifting.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Gate70 wrote...

Archer can't wear plate, this party is relatively squishy so strategy comes to the fore.

I had forgotten about that (I rarely use archers...) So my previous point stands then -- there is no conventional warrior/tank in the party (not that there needs to be one...) But someone said spells are what probably would have made a difference (sleep, hold) and I grant that. It's all moot I suppose if Grond0 falls in a single round. If a party is too far away to help, they are too far away, no matter what classes you got. That's certainly happened enough times to me with my PC being horrored/charmed.

PicklePepperPiper

PicklePepperPiper
  • Members
  • 181 posts
Hi all,

Nice game you guys have going :D Good to be back - I'll throw my lot in with a no reload. Unsure of what I should play, but hopefully I'll stick this out this time. I have a tendency to up and vanish mid-way through NR runs.

Any suggestions for class combinations? I'm thinking of taking my druids and clerics out for a walk (I have a pool of 24 characters, 12 men, 12 women, that I conceptualised ages ago and haven't even played most of them).

-PPP

ussnorway

ussnorway
  • Members
  • 2,350 posts
The idea was that we each make ourselves as a character then see how well the six of us can do with the same groups eg.
Gnome because I'm always tinkering with things to improve them.
Druid because the city is yuk to me and I like the were-cat because, well... let’s just say, I have days where I want to scratch someone’s eyes and leave it at that.

Alesia_BH started the ball rolling before giving us some lame cop-out about having to travel... I just bet she is sitting on a deck chair with one of those coloured drinks with an umbrella in it... The lucky so and so.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

corey_russell wrote...
You trying again with the same group?

I don't think so - I'll just observe with interest how the others treat my namesake. 

However, I thought I would have another go at a solo sorceror - perhaps having had a break I'll be able to keep him going a bit longer than usual.
Posted Image

Edited by Grond0, 25 January 2013 - 07:45 AM.

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,558 posts
Well, safe journey with Shylock, Grond0. I hope our paths will cross again someday... :)

@Gate: I must admit that I learn a lot new about myself from your story... :lol: Keep it up!

Edited by Serg BlackStrider, 25 January 2013 - 08:47 AM.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts
@PPP. Glad to see you back in action. I'll happily read about your divine crew if that's what interests you. Sounds fun.

@Grond0. Sorry to hear you won't be re-running our crew. Good luck with your sorcerer though !

@ussnorway. I'm enjoying my trip, but to me you all are the lucky ones. I'm looking forward to getting started!

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
@Grond0: Good luck in your new run. Here's hoping Shylock makes it all the way to Melissan! It's been a while since a no-reloader gave her a lesson...
@PPP: I second your divine run -- it's always interesting to see how the all diviner groups make up for their lack of APR of warriors...