Photo

Baldur's Gate 1 No-Reload Challenge

• Please log in to reply
16394 replies to this topic

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Sleep spell yes - superb mage spell for BG1. Thalantyr sells a wand of sleep as well, though I've never made much use of that personally.

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
Time for another dwarf kensai as Kronk's luck ran out in Watchers Keep. My best to date is Engor about a month ago (page 137), who had mostly completed SoA before venturing into Watchers Keep maze level to be caught out by a succubus charm (at -8). He’s also got to try and do as well as Grond0’s recent kensai run which got to the Underdark.

So here is Karix (using portrait originally used in a multiplayer run for Kaxir the kensai who was chunked in the Spellhold maze).
Posted Image

Blind_Visionary

Blind_Visionary
  • Members
  • 462 posts
Welcome back to the beginning, Gate. Sorry to hear about Kronk - you were so close! I salute your effort, in telling Kronk's story as much as with his battle prowess.

It's a good thing Karix has such high charisma. Otherwise, that mohawk and the facial tattos might be a little scary ;) Good luck!

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

Grond0 wrote...
Best of luck with your mage-thief.  If you're finding it hard going remember that the majority of enemies can be slept without them ever seeing you.  A fair few of the ones where that doesn't work can be blinded without them ever having a chance to attack you.

I just thought I'd highlight Grond0's advice here: Sleep for low level groups and Blindness for individual higher level foes is an excellent early game formula.

Grond0 wrote...
Thalantyr sells a wand of sleep as well, though I've never made much use of that personally.

I tend to use the wand. It has many merits: It's useable by anyone, it has a low per-charge cost, and it can be discharged as many times as necessary during a given battle. I even find it helpful for mages since it frees up spell slots, can't be interupted, and has a longer duration at low levels.

I tend to find it especially useful for my middling strength warriors and rogue who would otherwise find battles with low level mobs tedious. Ultimately though, it's more of a convenience item than anything else: It's definitely skippable.

In a Hard Times setup with an M/T, I'd definifetly be inclined to pass- even though I'm generally fond of it.

Btw. As you may know Blind Visionary, I did a successful SCS-Ascension Trilogy No Reload with an M/T named Alyssa a few months ago. The BG1 posts weren't very detailed, but if you make it to BGII, Alysssa's posts may give you some ideas.

Best of luck!

A. 

Edited by Alesia_BH, 21 April 2013 - 08:05 PM.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts
Best wishes to Karix Gate!

(Sorry to hear of Kronk's demise.)

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts
Btw. After running Alesia and a few other characters up through Mulahey in my Hard Times setup, I've decided to revert to my earlier install.

For my purposes, the basic problem with Hard Times is that is has virtually no effect for some characters while making early combat tedious for others. Ultimately, I find my earlier install more flexible and enjoyable: I'd prefer to go with that.

Anyhoo. At this point I'm leaning towards running my Jester, Alisa. I'll likely do an intro post for her soon.

Edited by Alesia_BH, 21 April 2013 - 07:17 PM.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts
 Ok. Here's Alisa, Half Elf Jester.
Posted Image
While Alisa has been one of my preferred characters for years now, I've never actually finished a run with her oddly enough. Hopefully that will change now.

Personal Item

Alisa's Ring of Last Resort

Alisa received this ring from a lecherous old mage who became enamored with her after her scintillating performance in the 17th Annual Baldur's Gate Region Teen Talent Show. Despite its dubious origins, Alisa has worn the ring for years- taking full advantage of its minor enchantments. 

While the ring has become a part of her, it has one peculiar feature that she has never fully understood. The center gem is a dull blue stone with the words "Push Me!" carelessly scratched into it. Alisa has never pushed the gem, but curiousity will get the best of her someday. It always does.

Alisa has taken to calling the bauble her "Ring of Last Resort"- mostly as a joke. Imoen rolls her eyes whenever Alisa refers to it. Alisa invariably responds with a mischievous giggle. 

Abilities:
+1 Dexterity
10% Pick Pocket Bonus
Wild Surge- 1 Charge (Item Destroyed After Use)

Usable By:
Alisa

Familiar

Jazzy (Tutu Pseudo-Dragon with Rabbit animation)
Posted Image

Mods: Bags in Candlekeep, Familiar in Candlekeep, NPC Banter, SCS, TUTU

Wish her luck!

Best,

A.

Edited by Alesia_BH, 22 April 2013 - 01:35 AM.

Blind_Visionary

Blind_Visionary
  • Members
  • 462 posts

Alesia_BH wrote...

I just thought I'd highlight Grond0's advice here: Sleep for low level groups and Blindness for individual higher level foes is an excellent early game formula.

Blindness seems to work well, especially when I can go hide in the shadows when the enemy makes its save. I think I've nerfed sleep with the ToBEX wake on hit option, though. Dargan generally can't hit hard enough to maeke that effective. I've tended to use sleep as an escape option more than anything else. But invisibility works even better, since enemies don't get a save. (I'm running a lot at this point.)

Alesia_BH wrote...
Btw. As you may know Blind Visionary, I did a successful SCS-Ascension Trilogy No Reload with an M/T named Alyssa a few months ago. The BG1 posts weren't very detailed, but if you make it to BGII, Alysssa's posts may give you some ideas.

It does seem like a flexible class so far. I'm still very impressed that you managed to accomplish such a feat. Mind blown, in fact. If I ever make it past BG1 (odds looking low with this install, and with my still-minimal memory of what happens when), I'll take a peek at what you did.

Alesia_BH wrote...
For my purposes, the basic problem with Hard Times is that is has
virtually no effect for some characters while making early combat
tedious for others.

Tedious is how I'd describe it too. Who enjoys spawn farming? (I guess me?  I'll probably unistall it once Dargan meets his untimely end.)

In the meantime, Dargan is mis-spending his youth in Beregost, learning to be sneaky.

Alesia_BH wrote...
Wish her luck!

Good luck Alisa and Jazzy!  If you see Dargan face down in the muck somewhere along the way, feel free to take his stuff.

Edit: BTW, I love that sketchy ring. I can just imagine it now -- Alisa pushes the button during the fight with Mel.... and the outcome of the battle depends on the results.....

Edited by Blind_Visionary, 21 April 2013 - 09:36 PM.

Blind_Visionary

Blind_Visionary
  • Members
  • 462 posts
Dargan died face down in the muck, having angered one-too-many of Beregost's citizens with his thieving ways.

(I had made it to level 5/6, but got overeager. Failed a save against a dire charm I wasn't expecting from a bandit mage. Somehow the mage got off her spell despite a skull trap exploding in her face. In hindsight, that was more risk than Dargan was ready for.)

I've learned my lesson. I'm going to dial back the tedium/difficulty for my next run by getting rid of a few unfortunate mods. (ie Hard Times and aTweaks Shoal.)

Edited by Blind_Visionary, 22 April 2013 - 12:11 AM.

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
Good luck Blind_Visionary.

Karix has reached Davaeorn, main issues so far are around video capture and conversion where the quality isn't great. Any advice?

Here's 1 showing Hareishan's room being cleared.

& another from the room after that to Davaeorn.

(a bit uncontrolled, would normally be significantly more pausing but wanted to try & keep it minimal for the clips).

Edited by Gate70, 22 April 2013 - 12:17 AM.

Blind_Visionary

Blind_Visionary
  • Members
  • 462 posts

Gate70 wrote...
Karix has reached Davaeorn, main issues so far are around video capture and conversion where the quality isn't great. Any advice?

Umm, all I saw was some flying bits. Looked like someone poured the contents of the Cloakwood Mines into a blender. Yikes! Nicely done.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

Blind_Visionary wrote...
I'm still very impressed that you managed to accomplish such a feat. Mind blown, in fact.

That's kind of you to say. M/Ts are well suited for triology no reloads: they are capable at lower levels and become outrageously powerful by the endgame. It's a technical, fiddly class, but it plays splendidly once you get comfortable with it.

( I'll probably unistall it once Dargan meets his untimely end.)

I think that's wise: Your setup is a bit punishing right now.

Good luck Alisa and Jazzy!

Thanks!

If you see Dargan face down in the muck somewhere along the way, feel free to take his stuff.

Nah. That's not Alisa's style: She'll perform a poignant and life affirming ballad in his honor instead. 

(Can't speak for Jazzy though. If Dargan has celery in his pockets, that's probably getting munched...)

Edit: BTW, I love that sketchy ring. I can just imagine it now -- Alisa pushes the button during the fight with Mel.... and the outcome of the battle depends on the results.....

It's a fun item, but there is very little incentive to ever actually use it: few situations are improved by having a cow land on your head...

Best,

A.

Edited by Alesia_BH, 22 April 2013 - 04:44 AM.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts
Nice work in the mines Gate!

Gate70 wrote...
main issues so far are around video capture and conversion where the quality isn't great. Any advice?.

I can't really advise I'm afraid: I composed some videos for Alessandra's run as you may recall, but those were done with mac specific software. I know next to nothing about windows software.

Edited by Alesia_BH, 22 April 2013 - 04:44 AM.

Blind_Visionary

Blind_Visionary
  • Members
  • 462 posts
"Get yer weasly ass out of bed, Elan," Parda said, marching into the orphanage bunkroom. "I've just about had it up to here with you. You were supposed to be in the kitchens hours ago."

"I'm done with the kitchens," Elan said, flipping a dagger in his hand as he lay on his bunk. "And I'm done with you."

Parda snorted. "You ungrateful lout. Remember the day Hull found you? You were three years old. Crying next to the bodies of your parents. Surrounded by smashed crates and burning wagons. If he had left you there, wolves would have had you before the night was out."

Elan's eyes grew hard.

"Now get to the kitchens," Parda said. "Your shift started two hours ago."

Elan threw his dagger. It hit the floor between Parda's feet.

"Be grateful you won't have the opportunity to push me any further, old man," Elan said. "I'm leaving. Right now."

"Just you try it," Parda said. "I'll have the guards tie you up and drag you back! You owe us!"

Elan pushed the old man to the floor. He hit the planks with a grunt.

"Thanks for nothing," Elan said as he slipped out of the bunkhouse into the dawn.

Posted Image

Editorial note: I'm mixing it up with a bounty hunter this time. And taking liberties with the story to keep things fresh. Sorry in advance that Elan is not very nice. (I've never tried to RP a mean character, so I'm going to see where that gets me.)

Edit: mods = SCS, Item Randomizer, Spell Revisions, Item Revisions, various quest and NPC mods for entertainment (or perhaps fodder), and some ease of use tweaks. (No Hard Times, no aTweaks sirines).

Edited by Blind_Visionary, 22 April 2013 - 05:14 AM.

Blind_Visionary

Blind_Visionary
  • Members
  • 462 posts

Alesia_BH wrote...
Can't speak for Jazzy though. If Dargan has celery in his pockets, that's probably getting munched...)

Dargan's body is near Jemby on the shore of a fisherman's lake. He might have a few veggies in his pocket. (That's about all you can find in farm fields with Hard Times installed.) Feel free to bash Jemby over the head while you're there. Watch out for the dire charm. ;)

Edited by Blind_Visionary, 22 April 2013 - 05:09 AM.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts
Best of luck with your bounty hunter Blind_Visionary. As you probably know, that's my favorite kit: they're a lot of fun- especially once you reach level 21.

EDIT: Here's an example of the things Elan can look forward to trying if he reaches high levels (check the post at the bottom labeled Confessions of a Silent Killer).

http://social.biowar...ndex/3120942/52

Edited by Alesia_BH, 22 April 2013 - 05:14 AM.

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts
Carsomyr and Titch were badly affected by level drain. No remedy in BG1! :crying:

The result was that the party were wiped out in the next serious fight.

I should have read the DSoSC walkthrough before attempting it no-reload! :(

Mind you, the walkthrough says: "Quick save often, and in the event of level drain re-load!"

Obviously the writer thought that there is a mod incompatability between DSoSC and no-reload!:D:D

Edited by Grimwald the Wise, 22 April 2013 - 06:02 AM.

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts
Lawful Good Conjurer: Str 18; Dex 18; Con 18; Int 18; Wis 11 Cha 3.

An excellent throw, particularly as without the help of Frabjous which doesn’t work with vanilla ToSC/ DSoSC.
Grimagent chose the spells sleep and armour, forgetting that the armour spell is easily available in the inn at Candlekeep.

After being ambushed, he made his way to the friendly Arms Inn, picking up a diamond, a ring of protection +1 and a ring of wizardry on the way. He used sleep against the hobgoblins that had stolen Joia’s ring, and returned the ring to her.

He then headed south to High hedge and was ambushed by hobgoblins and wolves. No time to cast armour. Cross that he hadn’t chosen the shield spell instead. He had to use a healing potion to avoid death.
Upon entering Beregost calmed down Marl and took a book to Firebead. Headed north and tried to make an ogre sleep. It didn’t work. Headed back to town and memorised two blindness spells.

Returned and blinded the ogre, but his shots with the sling were all missing even after moving. The spell wore off and after running, another blindness spell was cast. This time he hit the ogre with nearly every shot with the result that he got a nifty belt that protects from arrows. Continued to the Friendly Arms Inn and onward to meet Sonner. He agreed to help him. Killed the priestess and got the reward. (Was hoping to help the priestess, but she didn’t ask for help) He continued north. He was attacked by zombies. Ran back to the bridge area and found a way into Baldur’s Gate.

There he found a tome to increase dexterity. He bought three scrolls, an invisibility scroll, a shield scroll, and a knock scroll.

He failed to memorise the shield scroll and bought another. He failed to memorise that one too!

He went up a mage tower after making himself invisible. Picked up an intelligence improving tome and other knickknacks including another invisibility scroll. Memorised a knock and an invisibility spell. Cast invisibility and knock to get into a chest at the top of the tower. Plundered the chest and used the invisibility scroll to exit.

Took an Angel skin ring to a girl who was happy about it. Tried to take another to a flaming fist guard but he wasn’t interested. Took a book to someone interested in the unicorn run.

Returned to Beregost where he blinded Karlat and killed him.

Used sleep and blindness against some Gnolls and returned a sword they had stolen to Perdue.

Helped Melicamp, a woman whose son was trapped by worgs, an archaeologist and Brage.

Was kind to Noober.

Picked up a cloak and armour.

Picked up Xzar and Montaron,

Montaron picked up Algernon’s Cloak, a war hammer, a diamond and a ring of freedom of action. Decided not to risk trying to pick up the spells at Ulgoth’s Beard since it is no reload.

Xzar and Montaron helped me greatly against a mage called Tarnesh and we were then joined by Khalid and Jaheira.

With all haste we made our way to Nashkel where I parted company with them. However, they are there if I ever need them.

Rigid Thinking followed by hold was the end of me.
Clearly got rid of my allies too soon!

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
 Axman the Dwarven Barbarian Update 1
Traveling with: Ajantis, Khalid, Branwen, Imoen
Left in the Black Lotus Tent: Jaheira

@Wise: sorry to hear about the end of your run - but yeah a mod with level-draining is hardly appropriate for BG 1 no-reload.

Since Setben died to traps, I figured, theoretically what class can absorb the most trap damage without buffs? Barbarian! Hence, entering Trilogy no-reload challenge with this character:

Posted Image
** Axes
** Sword and Shield style

As far as I know, don't think I've ever played Barbarian, and definitely not no-reload. Since I'm learning the class (and want to live), playing with party.

In Candlekeep got a pleasant surprise - with rage, Axman was able to loot the sapphire! Guards were summoned though, and he just barely managed to get to the stairs with his +2 speed before they could talk to him and take his money.

Once out of Candlekeep, Axman and Imoen went to Beregost to do some of the quests there to jumpstart their experience. Spiders were defeated by running around the block -- however, we didn't even make it one lap, as Axman axes were killling the spiders fast - I was started to get impressed with this class (though granted, his 18/00 strength may have something to do with it too). We left the spider in Lendarin's house for now. We also defeated some ogrillions south of Beregost and reported to Merianne the good news about her husband - this got Axman and Imoen to level 2, he was ready to get his other party members now.

So Imoen and Axman traveled north to FAI, picking up a ring in a rock on the way - mass of enemies, so the duo zoned out quickly as possible.

In FAI, picked up and soon sold the ring of wizardry. But first, Axman traveled north of FAI to pick up Ajantis. I rarely use Ajantis with Easytutu, and boy was it clear why - Anjantis had ** in two-hand sword, which is horrible considering his DEX, his AC was 5! Amost anything can hit him - I want to use him though so will try to make him better soon as possible

But first, need to deal with Tarnesh so we can recruit Khalid and Jaheira. Ajantis was the target, but it didn't matter as Axman killed Tarnesh through his mirror images with a single throwing axe. Khalid and Jaheira join and then the party heads to Beregost. We then purchased a few items from the smithy, including full plate for Ajantis.

The party then worked their way south to Nashkel. No trouble, except the game crashed in the area just north of Nashkel and had to reload, I was just about to clear that area, that was a bummer.

Neira was defeated pretty easily with rage with Axman, Imoen helped by interrupting her with her magic missile wand too. The ankheg armor went to Khalid. Khalid also had no range weapon skill (he had ** bastard sword and ** two-weapon skill). I think that's ridiculous. He is using a shield for now, with darts as his range weapon, so that he will be targeted first, even if ranging, which is what I want.

The party then headed to the Carnival to recruit their last party member for quite a while, Branwen - Jaheira was left in the Black Lotus tent. WAY down the road, we intend to recruit Xan.

So far, am really pleased with Axman and having a lot of fun with him. Despite being part of a 5 man party, Axman has 53% of the kills!

Edited by corey_russell, 22 April 2013 - 07:09 AM.

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts
Thanks for the commiserations.

Looks like with this set up which I am enjoying, I will have to switch to minimal re-loads.

Next on the list after level draining undead is a pretty powerful dragon that doesn't belong in ToSC either. I am wondering if the quests can be postponed until after the return to Candlekeep and perhaps a visit to Durlag's Tower, the Ice Island and Werewolf Island.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts
@Grimwald the Wise- Sorry for your loss. I hope you enjoy the rest of your run over in the minimal re-loads thread.

@Corey- Best of luck with Axman! He looks like a promising character.

Btw. Alisa is currently in the Cloakwood. She'll likely finish up BG1 this afternoon.

Edited by Alesia_BH, 22 April 2013 - 12:03 PM.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
 Axman the dwarven barbarian - update 2
Traveling with: Ajantis, Khalid, Branwen, Imoen

Axman continuing to make progress. Areas cleared: South of Beregost, Gnoll Fortress, girl with dead cat area. No close calls so far, other than Ajantis getting close to death a few times. He got bad HP roll last level up (3) which is his main problem.

Party Status:
Ajantis: level 3 paladin, 23 HP, 42 kills, Winter Wolf
Khalid, level 4 fighter, 37 HP, 36 kills, Winter Wolf
Axman, level 3 barbarian, 39 HP, 91 kills (47%), Winter Wolf
Branwen, level 4 cleric, 25 HP, 2 kills, gibberling
Imoen, level 4 thief, 30 HP, 19 kills, Winter Wolf

Can you tell we've battled a lot of Winter Wolves? : )

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
You'll have to stake down the next wolf for Branwen so that she can complete your full house Corey!

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,558 posts
@Corey: Best of luck with Axman! Hope that bad HP rolls will be his worst problems along the way.

Best of luck with your bounty hunter, Blind_Visionary! Wish that Greywolf and such will burn with jealousy of his war trophies.

Wish that Karix's backpack will be full of foe's scalps, Gate!

And I hope to hear a splendid ballad of how Alisa have defeated Melissan, Alesia!

Safe travels to all of you, friends!

Edited by Serg BlackStrider, 22 April 2013 - 04:41 PM.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Serg BlackStrider wrote...

@Corey: Best of luck with Axman! Hope that bad HP rolls will be his worst problems along the way.

Safe travels to all of you, friends!

@Serg: While I did get one so-so roll (level 2 was 7 HP), level 3 was 11 HP and level 4 was 15 putting Axman HP at 50 HP at level 4 - I'm happy with that ratio! Ajantis is the one getting screwed over by the HP "gods" - better him than me I say.

@all other runs - good luck to you all! Let's all make it to the Throne of Bhaal so we can crash Melissan's party there.