Baldur's Gate 1 No-Reload Challenge

• Please log in to reply
16394 replies to this topic

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
Corbeast the solo human level 7 beastmaster - update 3

Corbeast continues to make progress. He's defeated Molkar's and Kirian's parties by an old Picenon stand-by - fireballs from the shadows. (e.g., hide, scout where enemies are, back off, fire off a fireball, hide before the fireball hits, and repeat until they are dead). He's defeated Sirines and flesh golems with greenstone amulet and potion of absorption, a large group of ogre kind with his bow, and enemies at Ulcaster School with necklace of missiles, his bow or +3 staff. He had to trigger 2 fireball traps but that is what his fire resistance ring is for.

He needs 150,000 experience for his last level, so he will definitely do most of the high experience areas that he can - he also needs about 20,000 gold to recharge the greenstone amulet, an important item for his strategy, since his save vs. spells isn't so great being a human.

Epsil0

Epsil0
  • Members
  • 208 posts
Right, so restarting with a different character after my 7th or so failure with my Wizard Slayer to get past Mulahey… Could never break his spell casting, and got held every single time. Not being able to drink potions of Freedom really, really hurts.

Just because I got a small taste of actually being able to deal heavy ranged damage with a bow, testing out a solo Elven Archer. Meet Arkran, stats of 18/53, 19, 17, 10, 14, 8. Currently level 5, and haven't had any close calls yet; HP rolls have been slightly below average at 44, rolling 20 off 4d10… Going to kill off an Ankheg to get his plate, then face Bassilus to get enough gold to forge it before heading down into the mines again. (And this time I can use potions of freedom!)

Edit: and by solo, I mean soloing BG1. I'll be playing with a party for BG2, scaredy cat that I am.

Edited by Epsil0, 16 November 2013 - 02:09 PM.

The Grey Ranger

The Grey Ranger
  • Members
  • 1,414 posts
Unless I'm misremembering there's a set in Nashkel, in one of the fields, no need to chase Ankhegs early.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Gate70/Grond0 multiplayer attempt 31 - (update 4)
Ivy, human blackguard (Grond0) & Derva, human inquisitor (Gate70)

A short session today saw the cops exploring the city.  Ivy benefited from the dexterity tome, while Derva read tomes of wisdom and intelligence. 

Both the latter tomes took a bit of work to get.  The intelligence one was picked up once after clearing Ramazith's tower, only for the game to crash requiring a second clearance.  The wisdom one was picked up from the cleric without problems, but Jalantha was already dead by that time.  Whether BGEE doesn't like that, or whether it was some other bug, the cops were unable to track down Lothander at the Blade & Stars.  Eventually he had to be consoled in for his conversation - which should allow Marek to be tracked down next time.

There was a bit more fighting when Drelik & Jardak were persuaded to give up the Helm of Glory and Degrodel's guards put the duo on the route to Balduran's Cloak (his Helm having already been secured).  However, they performed well both times.

Stats:
Ivy, blackguard 7, 84 HPs (incl. 5 from Helm), 185 kills
Derva, inquisitor 7, 71 HPs, 197 kills, 0 deaths

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
Corbeast the level 8 solo Human Beastmaster - update 4

Corbeast has defeated Tazok in a duel - he didn't even need any potions to do so. He used shield amulet, greenstone amulet and potion of magic protection to win the battle inside Tazok's Tent.

He did some of the other high experience areas (Basilisks country, Ulcaster School, Ankhegs) and is at the level cap with a healthy 98 HP. He skipped most of the Cloakwood, except he did get the free potion of invulnerability - unlike Plixcan, Corbeast used an invis potion to skip area 2 of the Cloakwood - he can't use the spider's bane, so there was really no reason to fight here.

For Drassus and buddies, Corbeast buffed with a potion of magic blocking (love that potion - I miss it in BG 2) and fired necklace of missiles repeatedly until the mages died - ok not quite he actually he his bow to finish the last mage - then Corbeast then used his martial staff on Drassus and Genthore. Corbeast always keeps the belt of bluntness, so that probably helped here - Success! Boots of haste was duly equipped.

After leaving the area to sell/bank, Corbeast returns and tries to beeline for Davaoern as much as possible. Potion of absorption and necklace of missiles sorted out Heirashan and her goons. Corbeast picked up some free potions and made it to Davaeorn's lair.

He then used scroll of magic protection, STR 23 potion, fire resistance potion and potion of invulnerability. I don't think the potions mattered much, as Corbeast managed to hit each Battle Horror twice with his necklace of missiles and they only required a single hit each to take out.

The battle with Davaoern was interesting - despite Daveorn's many mirror images, it didn't fool Corbeast at all ,as his first hit connected with the real thing- Davoern dimension doored to the side room, Corbeast charges, Davaoern does a lightning bolt and tries to escape with a dimension door, but yet again, his mirror images doesn't fool Corbeast and Corbeast's staff connects with the real thing and slays Davaoern.

The city of Baldur's Gate now looms before Corbeast...how will he do here?

Edited by corey_russell, 16 November 2013 - 10:42 PM.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
Quick Corbeast Update: Chapters 5,6, and 7 are complete. Very little was done really, he was happy with most of his equipment and stats. Chapter 7 was defeated using the same buffs for all 3 encounters, except DUHM for Duchal Palace fight. Liia died quickly but Belt managed to survive.

Corbeast used pro magic scroll and invis potion to get past Undercity and the Thieve's Maze. His scroll is still active and he's about to face his half-brother one, last time. Here's his stats going in:
Posted Image

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
Corbeast the solo Human Beastmaster - FINAL BG 1 Update!

So Corbeast does his typical Thac0/defensive buffs, his pro magic scroll still active. Then he goes left and fires a necklace charge and retreats to a corner close to the entrance. Sarevok charges, Corbeast manages to dispel Sarevok's buffs, hit Sarevok twice with +2 arrows then Corbeast went invisible via potion. Semaj was in the center, as usual.

Then Corbeast maneuvered near the dais and opened fire on Semaj with his bow - Tazok and Angelo finally show themselves and attack and Angelo does a remove magic and dispels Corbeast's buffs - Corbeast uses his final invis potion.

Corbeast noticed that Angelo, Tazok and Semaj are all huddled near the dais - he figures, hey, one-on-one he should be able to defeat Sarevok in melee, properly buffing first of course. So he does just that, all buffs he can and final buff being DUHM which puts his STR to 25. Corbeast charges Sarevok - Sarevok gets some hits, but Corbeast is getting more hits. Corbeast does use two heal potions, then success, Sarevok falls!
Posted Image

Corbeast will use a party in BG 2.

Epsil0

Epsil0
  • Members
  • 208 posts
Congrats on the victory, Corey; have a party planned out for BG2 yet?
Random question. Since my main character doesn't benefit from extra Wisdom, and I don't plan to take Jaheira or Viconia in BG2, exactly how permissible would it be to hand the tomes to Quayle, assuming that Aerie inherits them at some point, and then Shadowkeeper her scores to match the tomes I manage to scrounge up?

Anyways. First update of Arkran the solo Elven Archer, second attempt, since my last attempt died. To an Ankheg that decided to get 2 crits in a row… Seems I should've listened to the Grey Ranger. But I've finally made my way past Mulahey, past the Bandit Camp, and past the Cloakwood mines. A few close calls, such as getting Fear'd by Nimbul, and only surviving due to Arkran deciding to run across the bridge and not come back. The two battle-horrors weren't fun to deal with either; I essentially lost in melee combat to them, since we both needed to roll 18s to hit, and they attacked at 3x the speed that I could. Ran though 17 regular potions on just those two alone…
I'll be heading to Baldur's gate itself to finish off everything, now that I've hit the level cap. I'm only at 77 health, even after the Tome of constitution. We'll see whether I can finally pull this sucker off.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
@Epsil0: Yes, I have a party planned. Thinking of doing Jaheira, Korgan, Anomen, Nalia, Yoshimo/Imoen at this point.

As to your general question, about giving to Quayle then SK Aerie to match, that could be treated as a mod. Mods are permissible, so the main thing is when you get to BG 2 just tell people you are doing that.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Well done Corey - good luck to the Beast in BG2.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
Thanks Grond0! Having potions and greenstone amulet really do make a big difference. Most of my adventure, Corbeast was using Ankheg armor,if I had to wear leather, I doubt he would have been as successful.

Epsil0

Epsil0
  • Members
  • 208 posts
Well… Impatience finished me off in the end, I guess. Made my way all the way to the Temple of Bhaal, but lacking Fire resist killed me as the arrows of detonation went off faster than I could deal with them. Will probably try again with the same character soon, now that I know more/most of the counters to the bosses...

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Hard luck in falling at the final hurdle Epsil0. For rangers using stealth to hide around the pillars is a good tactic in that fight to split up the opposition (other classes - except wizard slayers - can do the same thing to some extent using potions of invisibility). I hope your next attempt can go one better.

Epsil0

Epsil0
  • Members
  • 208 posts
 So... As if I wasn't already failing my no-reloads in record time, I'm imposing another restriction for my newest character. I'll play as a pacifist, strictly support-only character that, if all goes to plan, will have a total of one kill by the end of the trilogy (that against the Slayer battle in the dreamscape of Candlekeep.) So considering what class could be of some use without actually taking kills, and it became a battle between Cleric/Mage and Skald bard. Skald bard won, simply because I prefer single-class, and Skald is pretty much the support of supports.

Introducing Elan, Human Neutral Good bard. (on account of CG not being an option for Bards, to my dismay...)
Posted Image
Artwork belongs, of course, to Rich Burlew, author of Order of the Stick. Recent plot arc's been focusing on Elan's position as a support, not the main hero, so why not? Haven't gotten anywhere as of yet, and haven't even picked out a party besides Imoen. Probably going to try some of the NPCs I haven't touched before, like Kivan, Faldorn, that Fighter/Cleric dwarf in the mines... Going to be fun/irritating/difficult.

Charlestonian Knight Templar

Charlestonian Knight Templar
  • Members
  • 981 posts
Garrick, loyal follower of Balian of Candlekeep in Nashkel.

Balian added a fifth member to his following, a huge Berserker named Minsc, who was on a quest to save a mage. Balian led us on the difficult trip westward toward a Gnoll fortress where the witch Dynahier was being held. Unfortunately, the trip cost us dearly. In a battle w/2 Winter Wolves our companion Minsc was ‘chunked’ & raising him was impossible. The battle left my liege, Balian, as the only survivor but he collected our equipment & was able to have us raised – all but Minsc that is. Balian, true to his word, w/or w/o Minsc, never wavered from his commitment to rescue Minsc’s witch. W/Minsc’s death, Balian was even more intent on completing that mission to honor his lost companion.  Further efforts to make the hazardous journey met w/similar fate when the 5 of us that remained came upon two Ogre Mages who used Sleep to incapacitate Khalid & then myself & Jaheira. Imoen was wounded & Balian was wounded & blinded. Luckily, the Ogre Magi were out of spells & Imoen tried to keep them occupied chasing her until Balian could receive his eyesight back. Unfortunately, she cut it a little too close one time & was cut down leaving Balian alone. Balian was able to parry their efforts to strike him w/their 2-handed swords for what he says seemed an eternity. Then when he could see again he grabbed his throwing axes & fired at the two of them wounding them more & more until he ran out. He then grabbed my Heavy Crossbow of Accuracy & quiver w/enchanted arrows from the ground where I’d dropped them. Though not trained in the use of a crossbow, the enchantment on that weapon along w/the bolts were enough for him to kill the 2 Ogre Magi. He collected enough of our equipment to have us all raised & the most important treasure so to ensure he had the $ to do so. He did. 

Posted Image
THE ONLY GOOD OGRE MAGI ARE DEAD OGRE MAGI!  NASTY CREATURES THESE ARE!!

We finally got to the Gnoll Stronghold where we destroyed the cave dwelling Gnolls’ servants, Xvarts, who lived in the mountainside beneath the stronghold. We worked through them fairly easily using a ‘tank & artillery’ strategy. Balian moves in, throwing maybe 1 throwing axe & then charging while the remainder of us use our arrows, bolts and stones to pummel the enemy he is engaging. We returned to Nashkel to unload booty & resupply arrows, bolts & stones & then headed back to attack the stronghold proper. Our technique served us well again, although on the trip over we lost Garrick in an ambush of Gnolls. Since Balian didn’t have the gold to raise him, he drove us on to the stronghold where we worked our way through until we were ankle deep in dead Xvarts, Gnolls, Gnoll Veterans, Gnoll Elites & finally the Gnoll Chieftain. Balian rescued Dy & readily allowed her to join us. We returned to Nashkel, unloaded our booty, resupplied & then returned for some mop up work.

Posted Image
ANKLE DEEP IN GNOLLS & THEIR CHIEFTAIN!

Treasure of note: Bracers of Defense AC8 (Dy)

Current Disposition: Resting in Nashkel

Next Steps:
Balian wants to head out to investigate the Nashkel Mines

Level Up: Balian to Swordsman (Ftr/3); Khalid to Scout (Rgr-Arch/3); I’ve been granted Sonneteer (Bard/3) & memorized Shocking Grasp; Imoen is now a Catpurse (Thf-Swblr/3) & improved to 40% in O/Locks, F/Traps, H/Shadows & M/Silently.

Current Party: (Reputation: 12 - Average)
Balian: Ftr/3 w/S/Mail, L/Shield, B/Sword**, B/Axe/T/Axe* (Flail*, 2H/Sword*, SSS*)
Khalid: Rgr-Arch/3, S/Leather, L/Bow***, B/Sword* (2WS**, SWS*)
Jaheira: Ftr//Drd-Avgr//1/1, C/Mail, Slg*, Q/Staff*, Scm* (Club*
Imoen: Thf-Sbk/3, S/Leather, S/Bow*, S/Swd*
Garrick: Bard/3, C/Mail, Hvy C/bow of Acc*, S/Swd*
Dynahier: Mage/3 w/Br of Def AC8, Slg*

Mods Used: HardTimes-v2; BG1UB_v12; bg1npc-v20; level1npcs-v1.9; bg2_tweaks-v14; Randomizer-v68; scs-v21 (- Tactical Challenges)

Reloads: 0

Edited by Charlestonian Knight Templar, 18 November 2013 - 12:44 PM.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Gate70/Grond0 multiplayer attempt 31 - (5th and final update)
Ivy, human blackguard (Grond0) & Derva, human inquisitor (Gate70)

The first action of the session was against Marek.  He died very quickly, but just had enough time to get a confusion off - which affected Derva.  A confused paladin in the same room as innocents is not a good mixture and Ivy tried chucking various pieces of equipment at her to try and encumber her.  That failed, but she managed to shadow Derva around and prevent anything nasty happening before the confusion wore off.

After collecting the Cloak of Balduran the cops put the Seven Suns back on the straight & narrow and used the ring of invisibility to investigate what was happening in the Iron Throne building.  Their investigations then took them to Candlekeep where Ivy reviewed the contents of some tombs before they fought through some dopplegangers to get out of the catacombs. 

With Ivy still protected by a scroll used against earlier traps Prat's party also went down quickly (I was going to say she was protected by Spiders Bane against Bor's darts of stunning, but I'm not actually sure if that's true in BGEE).  However, once more Derva got affected by a final spell - this time running around scared.  Things looked bleak for a moment when she got stuck in a web trap under attack by both a sword spider and a phase spider.  However, she managed to break free while Ivy got the attention of the spiders.  Once Derva was under control again she used a green scroll of protection from petrification on the basilisks.

Back in the City equipment was sorted at Sorcerous Sundries and the cops went to arrest Slythe.  He ran too far away from Krystin to get any support from her and failed to hit Derva at all.  The palace was a bit more difficult.  Derva tried dispelling the dopplegangers: I'm not sure how much success she had with that, but she did manage to dispel herself and Liia - who died almost at once.  However, the dopplegangers attacking Belt tended to seize up under impact of Ivy's darts of stunning and he survived.  Sarevok did briefly attack him, which is always a nasty trick, but Ivy managed to get close enough to make him switch targets and chase her until he teleported away.

Final levels were obtained in the maze, so the cops skipped round the Undercity party to get to the temple.  Sarevok was pulled out with an arrow of dispelling, but not before Semaj also decided to come and play via a spot of teleportation.  He also got dispelled though and was struck down in seconds, leaving just the big guy.  I was thinking that we'd have a decent chance of meleeing him with us both attacking, but in the event he went down far more easily than I expected.  Checking the autosave confirmed that Sarevok only had 135 HPs, compared to the 285 HPs we're used to with BGT, so it was no wonder it seemed easy.

Stats:
Ivy, blackguard 8, 93 HPs (incl. 5 from Helm), 217 kills
Derva, inquisitor 8, 80 HPs, 213 kills, 0 deaths
Slightly surprisingly to me, Ivy came with a late run to overtake Derva - probably due to heavier use of poison than normal in the final encounters.

Edited by Grond0, 18 November 2013 - 09:11 AM.

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,558 posts
Well done, Corey, Grond0, Gate! Safe travels in Amn.

Have fun with your new aspirant, Epsil0 and stay focused, CKT!

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
Congrats Grond0/Gate70!

And keep up the struggles, CKT - your poor party is just taking a beating! You need more meatshields perhaps? Kagain?

Epsil0

Epsil0
  • Members
  • 208 posts
Meh… A random encounter and a bad decision ended Elan's run. It was the 4 Ettercap ambush, and I didn't have any Potions of Freedom on hand. I triggered the Web trap, and it fired while I decided what I could do. If any Ettercaps survived, that was the end, so I did the dubious strategy of throwing a potion of explosions straight into the midst of them (and my party.) Didn't survive the blast… It was a fun run, though, with Elan having no kills and still being useful up to that point (Bandit camp.) Back to trying a solo, I think; leveling with a party takes longer than I remember in BG.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Hard luck Epsil0, but it sounds like a good ending (I've had a few self-immolation deaths myself - always nice to go out in a blaze of glory).

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

Gate70 wrote...

Sad news Grond0. I tend to look for 100% MR against Abazigal for that reason. I'm sure you can remember that until say Friday afternoon when your next barbarian will have got to the same point :)

Friday might be a bit tight, but I wasted a lot of time with Killian picking up treasure and acquiring equipment he was never likely to use, so we'll see.

Gonz - dwarf barbarian (update 1)

A bit under an hour's play last night, concentrating on high XP encounters, saw Gonz arrive at the Bandit Camp.  I didn't keep notes of his progress, but he's successfully mixed speed with safety so far and has never been in any danger.

Posted Image

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Gonz - dwarf barbarian (update 2)

Just under another hour's play this morning saw Gonz up to reputation 20 and having purchased everything he wants.  He's just arrived in the City - still with no problems on his way.

Edited by Grond0, 19 November 2013 - 06:27 AM.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Gonz - dwarf barbarian (3rd and final update)

A final 40 minutes of game play allowed Gonz to finish off Sarevok to complete the first stage of his BGT adventure.
Posted Image

There were a few mistakes creeping in at the end:
- mis-clicked on conversation option with Thaldorn and had to pick up documentation instead.
- inventory was full when trying to pick up the geas scroll and had to go back for it after talking to Lothander.
- tried to get into palace before speaking to Slythe and was turned away by an indignant guard.
However, there were no errors in combat and Gonz completed his journey without ever being exposed to spells or taking significant injuries.

I managed to manipulate reputation to get all his desired Bhaal abilities and Gonz also has decent HPs, so things are looking good so far.  Here's his character record on arriving in Irenicus' dungeon.

Epsil0

Epsil0
  • Members
  • 208 posts
Good luck in Amn, Grond0, and avoid those Mazes! How in the world did you manage to complete BG1 in under 3 hours, by the way? I thought I was doing well at being in Baldur's Gate by 4!
Anyways, Lacon the Half-elf Totemic Druid. Beginning stats of 14/16/15/10/18/15, currently tomed at 14/17/16/10/18/16. Completed the early-game fairly easily, no huge scares/mistakes besides being held twice by the Flaming Fist Merc. that comes after Viconia and failing to rest in the Cloakwood Mines a good 4 consecutive times… Meaning running from something like 30 guards with no useful spells remaining. Fun. :P

How does a regular Druid get through the game solo, anyways? Any moderately difficult fight that I wasn't using a spirit companion, I was flat-out losing due to that lowly 1 APR and pretty bad THAC0.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
@Episil0: A regular druid should use Ankheg armor, lots and lots of entangles and run and shoot a lot. maybe magical ammo too.

@Grond0: Grats again on another speed run. Guess no reason to add difficulty mods to BG 1 since BG 2 and ToB enemies keep a-mazing you with their abilities and ending your runs.

Edited by corey_russell, 19 November 2013 - 07:03 PM.