Baldur's Gate 1 No-Reload Challenge

• Please log in to reply
16394 replies to this topic

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts

Diary of Blade of Kaos

Blade of Kaos picked up another Drow called Xzar and headed for Nashkel.

He now has a party of four Drow. Himself, Xzar, Viconia and Vynd. Vynd is a drow assassin from a new mod. Xzar was SKd to make him a drow.

The mines and the Four assassins outside were easy enough but Xzar was killed by the Revenant.

Upon reaching Nashkel we claimed the reward for killing Greywolf. We then charmed Oubliek in order to get the emeralds. He was killed by a baby wyvern that was chasing a little boy.

Xzar was then raised and we headed for the Inn.

Lord den Undenzieht, the boy's father then tried to get us arrested but ended up being arrested himself. Knowing the justice system in Nashkel, that did not suffice, so I charmed him and let Nimbul show him REAL JUSTICE. :devil: I then showed Nimbul Real Justice. :devil:

The fools around here think that I am a hero. Ha Ha!

• Blackraven likes this

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

You know Wise, with how often you are using the assassins against you to kill people for you, maybe you need to be giving them a tip...

• Grimwald the Wise likes this

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts

You know Wise, with how often you are using the assassins against you to kill people for you, maybe you need to be giving them a tip...

:D

Killing Lord den Undenzieht doesn't even benefit you in the game. However, from the role-playing point of view, that is exactly what my character would have done. :devil:

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

Gate70/Grond0 multiplayer attempt 65 - (update 1)

Nippy, human dark moon monk (Grond0) & Joye, half-elf conjuror (Gate70)

We managed to put work aside for long enough to get this pair going today.  The quality of play was pretty poor though and a few smiles from Lady Luck were needed to prevent the run ending in the first session.

There was an indication of trouble early on after killing Shoal when confronting the gnolls with Perdue's sword.  Mis-clicking resulted in all the gnolls chasing at once and their relatively fast movement and the difficulty of targeting them with missiles resulted in the duo just running away.

After passing through Beregost and Nashkel the basilisk area was targeted as the place to get some cheap XP.  Despite Joye's protests that her spells would be sufficient, Nippy bought the green scroll of protection from petrification and used that while tanking the basilisks to the south.  Further north though trouble occurred while Nippy was pulling a basilisk away from its nearby companion - Joye retreated only to discover that some gibberlings had colonized the encounter point behind her and a critical hit from one of them proved too much for her to handle.

After visiting the temple the duo returned to the area.  Nippy intended to rely on Joye's spells for protection this time, but found that Korax was wandering around and talked to him before he was ready.  Making the best of a bad job Korax was used to lead the way against the remaining basilisks and handed out a paralysing touch to Mutamin as well.  Meanwhile Joye had picked up a gnoll admirer and tried running right round the edge of the map while failing to get rid of him.  She did though get an admiring stare from one of the remaining basilisks to the north - fortunately Nippy had not yet used the stone to flesh scroll intended for a resident statue and quickly recruited her again.

Korax tried to paralyse Kirian, but failed and rapidly died - exposing Nippy to a hold person he saved against.  Only Lindin chased hard at that point and he could be safely run around while being shot to pieces.  At that time resting was called for in order for Nippy to use his new Bhaal power to heal.  That was eventually successful, though it took a while to deal with ambushing gnolls - particularly when they attacked Nippy like this.  Once rested Joye used her new stinking cloud spell to put the others out of action and allow the map area to be safely finished off.

NippyL5_zps00782788.jpg

JoyeL4_zps4b7ad3da.jpg

Stats:

Nippy, dark moon monk 5, 34 HPs, 28 kills

Joye, conjuror 4, 21 HPs, 10 kills, 1 death

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts

Fought Tazok, but he was going to leave without dying so we made a sharp exit. We returned to kill him before going to deal with his accomplice in Beregost. We set skeletons and summoned monsters on to his accomplice who used minor spells at first before switching to lightning bolt. With it he killed all the summoned monsters, Algernon who just happened to wander that way at an inopportune time, and himself as well. No experience. :crying:

We then headed south to clear up some loose ends. That turned out to be expensive, for, despite trying to keep Xzar out of harms way, he got killed by the Mustard Jelly.

EDIT

We then returned to the bandit camp. Atfirst it was easy and we thought that there were going to be no problems, but then Taughoz arrived on the scene unexpectedly while there were still a number of bandits still alive. A blast from the wand of fire dealt with the bandits, so whilst Taughoz chased me around boulders, the others attacked with ranged weapons. It took a while, but Taughoz was unable to land any blows. :)

We then entered the tent of Tazok. At first everything was going swimmingly, but then a horror spell left all but two of us panicking. Summon skeletons helped to protect us and a little later web disabled everyone but me. I was wearing a ring that protected me from web. As soon as I was able, I sent the others outside and finished the job myself.

We have now entered Cloakwood. Once there however, I realised that it is nearly Christmas and it is therefore time to go shopping. :D My reputation is high, amd that could alter. :devil:

• ussnorway and Blackraven like this

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

@Grond0, Gate70: That sounded pretty rough - grats on getting through all of that. Hopefully the rest of the run won't resemble that mess you had in the basilisk area.

Blackraven

Blackraven
  • Members
  • 1,377 posts

Grond0/Gate70, I know this is not how you planned things, but at least you've given me a couple of laughs. :D Thanks, and all the best in your subsequent sessions.

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts

Diary of Dark Blade

We went to Beregost to collect the Ankheg Armour for Viconia. Shee feels much happier now about her safety. We spent virtually all our gold after selling a number of extraneous items. The wand of fire was fully charged. We then went to see the dryad of the Cloudpeaks. Xzar killed it and collected the ichor. We then sold a few winter wolf pelts and used the gold to get our reputation back to 14.

We then went to the Basilisk area and killed some gnoll, some flind and some more assassins.

After taking a potion of mirrored eyes and another one when that ran out, we were able to kill the basilisks, Mutamin and the Medusae.

We then headed for the FAI where we rested.

EDIT

Spent most of our gold getting our reputation up to 14.

We then went treasure hunting in the west killing sirene and a doomsayer and helping Brage.

After helping Brage we are heroes again. What a laugh. Knew we would get nothing from the captain of the Guard as we have already killed his right hand man and got his gold. There was always a chance of a reward from the temple, and we got it. :devil:

We then spent it all getting our equipment in order such as recharging the necklace of missiles.

Poor again, but fairly well equipped. Soon we will have to recharge the wand of frost though. :( Used several blasts with that against the doomsayer.

EDIT

Reached Cloakwood mines without problems. Drasus managed to get a blow in on Xzar, but fireball and necklace of missiles dealt with all other problems.

Summoned monsters weakened Davaeorn to the point that he was helpless.

(I like Vynd the drow assassin. He has quite a personality ... Not a nice one!!!) Fully recommend the mod. New at G3.

• Blackraven likes this

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Corarcher the elvish archer Update

Traveling with: Misty (halfling fighter), Forrest (human ranger), Hanna (human Swashbuckler), Paja (half-elf Totemic Druid), Joshua (Human Jester)

The team has destroyed the enemies in the Larswood and Pelvale areas. We also destroyed the area with the 4 Thay wizards, who were sorted out with 2 fireballs and call lightning. The team has just crashed the bandit camp (outside). The bandits couldn't do much, and Khosann couldn't survive a call lightning by Paja as well as a called shot by Corarcher. We will start looting the camp and dealing with Tazok's Tent next session.

• Blackraven likes this

Blackraven

Blackraven
  • Members
  • 1,377 posts

Day 0, 1 Mirtul 1368
This is the journal of William Tell of Candlekeep. In it I shall report about the voyage that I've just embarked on with my foster father Gorion. We're currently on a short break, an hour or so east of Candlekeep because Gorion is busy with his spellbook, a good moment to start this journal.
It was only this morning that I received Gorion's instruction to prepare for our journey. "You and I are to leave Candlekeep as soon as possible because this place is no longer safe for you," he told me after I'd barely got up. He gave me over a hundred GP, which I used to buy a helmet, a suit of studded leather armor, my own crossbow(!), and plenty of ammo. I would soon learn that Gorion had been right in considering Candlekeep unsafe for me. 
In the Bunkhouse, a stranger armed with a dagger asked me who I was. When I told him my name, he sprinkled a liquid (some kind of poison most likely) on his dagger and charged forward. I did not hesitate: one shot with my crossbow brought him down. 
I immediately ran outside, straight to Gorion who was waiting for me in the gardens. We informed the priests of the wounded man inside the Bunkhouse, and left immediately. I wonder who this assassin was. I'm inclined to believe there was some kind of mistake, but the man did ask me for my name before he attacked, and I haven't forgotten Gorion's warning that Candlekeep is no longer a safe place to stay. I shall ask him for clarification.

Day 1, 2 Mirtul 1368
Dismal tidings: Gorion and I were ambushed last night by a group of what seemed to be bandits. Their leader, a gigantesque warrior, told Gorion to hand me over to him. Maybe they were bounty hunters, like the assassin in Candlekeep? Gorion commanded me to run away, and I obeyed, as I've always done. However I now regret that decision. Brave Gorion took on the party all by himself, dispatching their Ogres and archers with his explosive magic. I also saw him put a priestess to sleep, and hurt the commander repeatedly. But the brute just wouldn't fall and at one point he practically cleaved Gorion in two. I'm not sure if there's anything I could have done, but I'm ashamed of my cowardice. There would have been more honor in dying alongside my father. 
Gorion and I had walked for hours before doom befell us, speaking of many things, such as possible places for us to go, survival strategies, and two friends we were to meet at the Friendly Arm Inn, Khalid and Jaheira. Gorion seemed to want to evade discussing the reasons for our departure and the fact that an assassin had gotten into Candlekeep to kill me. Had he been a bit more forthcoming with information, I would be better pepared for whatever it is that awaits me, but I guess there's no point crying over spilt milk.
This morning I ran into sweet old Imoen, my dear friend from Candlekeep who I didn't expect to see again. After Gorion and I'd departed, she had snuck out of the citadel. She managed to somewhat console me, and offered to accompany me. An offer I should have probably declined for her safety, what with all those people wanting me dead, but I didn't have the strength. I accepted. Together we returned to the place where Gorion fell and found his mangled body beyond resurrection. On his corpse I found a letter signed by someone who called himself "E". It mentioned Khalid and Jaheira at the Friendly Arm Inn. Although I'm afraid someone might have read it, Imoen and I have just decided to go to to the inn anyway.

Day 2, 3 Mirtul 1368
More consternation, but at least I'm alive to write this, in a simple room in the Friendly Arm Inn (which might have been named the Friendly Arm Fortress as well, but that's another matter). Imoen and I had a rough journey north. We were hesitant to stick to the road because of bandits, but the woods were no less dangerous. Dire wolves seemed to be everywhere, keeping us running for hours as they were incredibly hard to get rid of. We ran past a wizard and a halfling rogue who wanted to have a word with us for us, but I'm sure they understood, what with a Dire Wolf behind us.

Spoiler
I was very tired as we finally reached the FAI. We entered a small outbuilding just past the gate, but that turned out to be a woman's home. In a way she was lucky to have us because we accepted, in spite of my weariness, to seek out a band of Hobgoblins that had stolen a ring of hers. We ran into various Hobgoblin bandits north of the inn, slow creatures and generally poorly protected against Imoen's arrows and my bolts. We also met a young Paladin, who like Imoen and me serves the cause of goodness. Ajantis he called himself. We decided to join our strengths, and we followed his advice to return south, because the area was infested with Ankhegs, as Imoen and I would soon see for ourselves.
Spoiler
Back at the Friendly Arm Inn, all I wanted was to rest, for the first time since I got up on the morning of my journey with Gorion. However at the entrance we were accosted by a wizard who greeted us kindly enough but proceeded to attack us as soon as he learnt my name. He put Ajantis to sleep, panicked me with a Horror spell, and blinded Imoen with Glitterdust.
Spoiler
With all three of us debilitated, the wizard was free to decide who to kill first. (Guards tried to stop him, but the mage wouldn't be distracted by them.) His first target was Imoen. I found her severely injured on the ground after the Horror effect had worn off.
Spoiler
[Note by Blackraven: As I've seen done before by others, I'll roleplay that party members who have died are at near death status and need priestly help.] I was seriously injured as well, no doubt due to the wizard's magics, but when I had regained my control of myself, he no longer tried to cast spells at me, choosing to attack me with his staff instead. I tried to dispatch him with my crossbow, but failed repeatedly (must have been due to my fatigue and my injuries). It was Ajantis who eventually slew our attacker.
Spoiler
Thankfully Gellana Mirrorshade, a gnomish priestess, was able to heal Imoen. (I couldn't have borne losing her as well, after Gorion's death.) Inside the Friendly Arm Inn, we got some well-deserved rest, we met Khalid and Jahiera, who want to travel to Nashkel with us, and we spoke with Unshey and Landrin, who asked us to retieve a belt stolen by an Ogre and some possessions from a Spider-infested home in Beregost respectively. So my next update I'll probably write in Beregost or Nashkel.

EDIT:

All the best and safe travels for Tell, Blackraven! Pretty much like your approach and looking forward to enjoy the novelization. 

Thanks a lot Serg. FYI this isn't my novelized playthrough, just one I intend to narrate from Tell's point of view.
(The novelization is about a Cleric/Mage Bhaalspawn that has barely left Candlekeep hehe.)

• corey_russell, ussnorway, Serg BlackStrider and 1 other like this

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts

Yet again upon going for the tome to increase dexterity, the game crashed. It looks like I will have to download the game again from GoG and perhaps BGII as well to be on the safe side. Maybe Tutu as I have very few mods installed compared to what I usually have.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

@Wise: Sorry to hear that. Hope you can get your install issues resolved.

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts

When I copied the saved game into another set-up it didn't crash. Obviously there were other issues. No portraits for NPCs from mods etc. Items not in the override folder would doubtless go missing.

However. that makes me think that if I copied the are file from that set-up to my modded set-up it could solve the problem. Is it the are file that needs to be copied, and are there any other files that go with it that should also be copied?

Whilst waiting for info, I decided to us SK to get the extra point in Dex and carry on as if I had been to get it. If necessary, at the end of the game I will copy my save game into the other set-up for the final battle.

I think that might minimise the complications.

EDIT

Having the same problems trying to enter the Flaming Fist Compond. :angry:

Blackraven

Blackraven
  • Members
  • 1,377 posts

Ouch Grimwald, I know you love modding your game, but my advice would be to further reduce the number of mods you play with, just to save yourself the frustration of not being able to finish a game (or see your character die).

Day 4, 5 Mirtul 1368
Khalid and especially Jaheira seemed to be in a bit of a rush to meet the mayor of Nashkel. To humor them, we didn't tarry at the inn and traveled southward the next day. I wanted my companions to understand that at the moment traveling without me might be safer for them than traveling with me. So on the road I spoke frankly of the encounter with the warrior that had ended Gorion's life, and of the other hitmen and bounty hunters that have tried to kill me in Candlekeep and at the FAI. Ajantis showed me a bounty notice he had taken from the FAI wizard's corpse. He pointed out that the notice was directed at "all those of evil intent". Therefore he hadn't retained any suspicions regarding the morality of my past actions, though he did openly wonder why there's a price on my head. Unfortunately there was nothing for me to say that would clear things up for him or my other companions. Khalid and Jaheira exchanged a few nervous looks during the conversation but they wouldn't speak. I'm inclined to believe they know more than they let on, and honestly I didn't like their reticence one bit, but I've decided to tolerate their company for now. They may yet open up.
The area just south of the FAI was as perilous as when Imoen and I first came through it. Our party of five however was much better prepared to deal with its threats. Jaheira for example proved herself a capable warrior and a surprisingly relentless Druid as she dispatchedf a Dire Wolf without hesitation (probably the one Imoen and I had barely escaped from two days ago). We also dealt with a small group of Xvarts, and after a Ranger named Aoln warned us of an Ogre in the vicinity, Imoen and I tracked the monster down and slew it with ranged attacks.

Spoiler
Upon closer inspection we found two enchanted belts on the Ogre. One of those had to be Unshey's we reckoned, so we headed back to the FAI where the Gnome was indeed happy to receive her belt. She rewarded us with some gold and a book she had recently finished, The History of Tethyr.

North of Beregost we encountered a stranded caravan and several bodies pierced with arrows. We didn't get to take a closer look because we were attacked by a Dread Wolf as we approached, and we decided to run from it. It was well past midnight when we finally reached Beregost. We were all a bit tired, so we went looking for the nearest inn to get some rest. First however, we defended Neera, a young Half-Elf Wild Mage, against three Thayvians. Technically they were four but Neera somehow teleported their leader away, creating a wild magic zone in the process. This may have meant that their remaining wizard wasn't going to be as dangerous as a he'd normally have been, but we took no risk and focused all our attention on him. Khalid led the charge and also struck the killing blow. His stuttering and the restiveness he conveys make it easy to underestimate the Half-Elf but secretly he's a fair swordsman I think.

Spoiler
Our two remaining foes were lightly armored bodyguards that fought bravely but stood no chance against our party's collective force. After the battle Neera told us that those Thayvians had wanted to capture her only for being a Wild Mage. She offered to join us and we welcomed her into our party. First of all, it's good to have someone skilled in the arcane in our midst (though I do wonder how reliable a caster she'll turn out to be as a Wild Mage). Apart from that, she seems to be a nice enough lass and she wouldn't be the first innocent to be the object of evil Thayvian schemes. Besides who am I to judge outlaws and runaways? 

In the first inn we entered, the Red Sheaf, a Dwarven fighter attacked us pretty much on sight. He was a bounty hunter and apparently well-aware who he was facing, as he didn't need my name to attack. We fled the premises after he dealt Ajantis a nasty blow with his axe, and rested in another, nicer inn called Feldepost's. We even befriended two men there, Marl and Dunkin. The innkeeper had a very deadly crossbow for sale, one that allows the user to release bolts much faster. I hope to gather the gold and buy it before someone else does. 

Day 6, 7 Mirtul 1368
We dealt with the Huge Spiders that had occupied Landrin's home in Beregost, and we returned her belongings to her in the FAI. Jaheira was particularly bothered by the long trek back, and to be honest, so was I. But Ajantis and I had somewhat rashly promised Landrin to complete the task 'as soon as possible', and neither of us wanted to break that promise. In the future we shall clearly stipulate reasonable deadlines for any jobs we accept.
South of Beregost we slew two Ogrillons and found a letter on one of them. The addressee, a woman in Beregost rewarded us with a Ring of Protection +1 when we brought her the letter.
We had further violent dealings with bands of Hobgoblins. One of them carried a pair of Worn Whispers that are not just keeping my feet warm at the moment but also make me a better scout. Apart from the Hobgoblins we had a very unfortunate run-in with three Flaming Fist officers that mistook us for bandits. We offered to peacefully surrender ourselves to them so that we could defend ourselves before a court of law, but our proposal was only met with aggression. "We're not taking you alive, you murdering swines!" one of them yelled.

Spoiler
Clad in suits of plate mail they were much better equipped for melee combat than any of us. My initial idea was therefore to have us try and outrun our foes (which shouldn't have been too difficult precisely because of those heavy suits of armor they were wearing). But Imoen threw me a white potion and urged me to drink it: an oil of speed I soon sensed. My doubled movement speed allowed me to engage my foes and disengage whenever I wanted, at virtually no risk, while my companions made sure they got away from the scene. Distracting them, vexing them, and eventually tiring them, they became easy targets for my bolts.
Spoiler
I feel no remorse about taking the lives of these so-called "law enforcers". How many innocents had they confused with bandits before they met us? How many more vicims would they have made? Three suits of plate mail (for Khalid, Jaheira, Ajantis) were our recompense. 

Day 9, 10 Mirtul 1368
In Nashkel we spoke with Bardolan, an Amnish soldier who told us about troubles in the region, including a moving tale of his former captain, Brage, who seems to be possessed by an evil spirit that had caused him to kill his own family. Brage hasn't been seen in the last tenday. A bounty handler told us about Prism, a famed sculptor, but also a thief who had run off with two emeralds. Our meeting with Berrun Ghastkill, the mayor of Nashkel, was a short one. He wanted us to investigate the disappearances of miners in the Nashkel Mine and to find out what's causing the contamination of the iron ore coming from the mine. We agreed to help, but I'm afraid we've only made things worse. 
We traveled straight to the mine, but decided to explore the surrounding land for clues before we would enter the actual mine. Our exploration led us to Prism the emerald thief, who was in the process of finishing an admittedly wonderful sculpture of Ellessime, the Elven Lady of Suldanessalar (a place I'd love to visit once myself, if the Elves would let me). We were waiting for him to finish his work before we would take him back to Nashkel, when a bounty hunter arrived, a fellow named Greywolf. This time I wasn't the prey; he had come for Prism. Greywolf had no patience with Prism and no respect for us: he attacked us so that he could take the bounty on Prism's head. Neera was the first to respond. Short on spells, she tried to cast a Chromatic Orb via Nahal's Reckless Dweomer. She summoned a Nabassu instead.

Spoiler
We ran away as fast as we could, and saw from a distance how the demon first killed Greywolf and later Prism.
Spoiler
I approached in order to slay the monster before it would cause any more harm, but it seemed immune to my attacks, so we fled the scene (albeit not before I picked up Prism's emeralds and an enchanted longsword from Greywolf that is now Khalid's main weapon).

Neera assured that gated demons only stay on the prime material plane for a limited amount of time, so it was unlikely to have made more victims in the desolate lands where she had let it loose. This set my mind somewhat at ease, although I'm still devastated by Prism's death, an innocent victim. Ajantis and I even feared losing the blessings of our Gods, Helm and Mielikki, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Ajantis still possesses his divine abilities to detect evil, protect others against evil, and heal the wounded. And I had a vivid dream that night centered around Gorion (or his spirit), approving of my actions. The next morning I woke up with the ability to cure light wounds, a spell that is not unheard off for Rangers. I must say that the Lady of the Forest didn't show herself in the dream, but I can think of no other source for this healing ability than She.
It seems that the Gods did deem it necessary to punish Neera for her antics by the way; we were ambushed by undead that pretty much ingonred us and went straight after her. A number of knife-throwing skeletons even managed to bring her to the ground. Thankfully she survived.

Spoiler
In the Nashkel inn we met yet another bounty hunter that was out for my scalp, this time a priestess, and to her credit, she nearly succeeded at her mission. With a single spell she froze our three melee combatants: Ajantis, Khalid, and Jaheira.
Spoiler
She beat both men down, without the rest of us being able to reach her, let alone stop her. Jaheira escaped the same treatment as the spell wore off in time. The Druid (in melee) and I, using my trusty crossbow, then proceeded to slay our attacker.
Spoiler
And Nalin, at the Temple of Helm, managed to patch up Ajantis and Khalid. 

[Note by Blackraven: I'm aware that it's not smart to have three meleers attack Neira at the same time, but I'm trying to keep this playthrough fairly realistic. At any rate, William Tell is no fool and neither are his companions. They'll learn from their experiences with a wizard like Tarnesh or a Cleric like Neira.]
The fact that bounty hunters are following me wherever I go is very unsettling to me. With difficulty I convinced Khalid and Jaheira to leave Nashkel and the mine for now, and leave the beaten track with me for a while for my safety and theirs. (The others had no objections). Tomorrow we shall set out to the coast.

Current party:

William Tell
lvl 2 Archer, 20 HP; **Crossbows, *Axes, *Daggers, **Two Weapon Fighting; 26 kills (most powerful Neira); Studded Leather; items of note: Boots of Stealth.
Imoen
lvl 2 Thief, 16 HP; *Shortbows, *Short Swords; 6 kills (most powerful Ogrillon); Studded Leather; items of note: none; 1 death.
Ajantis
lvl 2 Paladin, 20 HP; **Bastard Swords, *2H Swords, *Longbows; 4 kills (most powerful Tarnesh); Plate Mail; items of note: Helm of Infravision, Ring of Protection +1; 1 death
Khalid
lvl 1 Fighter, 13 HP; **Varscona +2, *Axes, *Longbows; 4 kills (most powerful Thayan Wizard); Plate Mail; items of note: none; 1 death.
Jaheira
lvl 2/2 Fighter/Druid, 24 HP; **Clubs, *Quarterstaves, *Slings; 1 kill (Dire Wolf); Ankheg Plate Mail; items of note: none; 0 deaths.
Neera
lvl 1 Wild Mage; 4 HP; *Neera's Staff; 0 kills; Traveler's Robe; items of note: none; 1 death.

Note (1):
I had imposed the rule of flipping a coin to decide whether NPCs' CON has to be lowered each time they die, but I've decided not to apply that rule for now. Even though I've had four casualties already, I feel I'm not abusing the NPCs as meat shields and atm I don't need the CON penalty challenge to enjoy this playthrough.
Note (2):
My original plan was to have Rasaad and Branwen in my party instead of Khalid and Jaheira, but I like my current setup and I feel that Khalid and Jaheira fit within the group. Their lack of transparence toward William might become an issue for him though.

• corey_russell, ussnorway, Serg BlackStrider and 1 other like this

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

@Blackraven: Nice story so far. Your "solution" for Prism/Greywolf was amusing. 

@Everyone: Corarcher is about to finish up chapter 5. Since Corarcher always travels in stealth, he never gets targeted, thus has been a pretty clean run so far.

• Blackraven likes this

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Twister - dwarf bounty hunter (update 1)

I was hoping to get my kensai at least to Melissan - that fight would carry some risk, but I think he would still have a pretty good chance.  I'll probably try and demonstrate that at some point, but thought I could do with a change.  It's a long time since I tried a bounty hunter, so have rolled up one of those.

Twister has made decent initial progress this morning and just killed Daveorn with multiple backstabs around a partition.  Given his specialty is traps I've been using those quite a bit (which I wouldn't normally do with a BG1 thief).  The ability to throw the special traps is useful both when being chased and in set piece situations - such as dealing with Landrin's spiders.  

I haven't been trying to play particularly careful and Twister has been hit a number of times.  Twice he would have been in danger of death from a critical.  Once early on attacking the Flaming Fist on the road south of Beregost when he tried to run off the map to the south, but stopped at the edge and was attacked.  Then at the bandit camp stealth failed near a group of 3 bandits and his HPs were taken down low by shots before he ran out of sight again.

RecordL9_zps7a4e1628.jpg

• Grimwald the Wise and Blackraven like this

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Twister - dwarf bounty hunter (update 2)

Twister finished all his intended work outside Baldur's Gate without incident - getting reputation up to 20, acquiring the tomes and buying everything that looked good.  He's just arrived in the City.

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts

You're clearly working to a plan Grond0 and since you won't be making any mistakes, do tell how Melissan is going to be dealt with. I haven't thought that far ahead with the many kensai runs I tried but a green scroll plus FoA+5 GWW's might be an unpleasant surprise for her? Or perhaps Foebane +5. I believe she is immune to vorpal hits but not slow and possibly not LMD.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Corarcher the human archer - FINAL Update!

Traveling with: Misty (fighter), Forrest (Ranger), Hanna (Swashbuckler), Paja (Totemic Druid), Joshua (Jester)

So chapter 5 was dealt rather simply. Even the 5th floor of the Iron Throne was soloed by Forrest, who did well.

Due to the excellent thief work of Hanna, Chapter 6 was quite straightforward as well. A Forrest protected by magic once again did the hard fight (Prat), and succeeded.

Chapter 7, we only destroyed Slythe (6 on 1 is good odds), then saved Belt - we had a lot of summons (which we rarely used this run in fact). We had a ridiculous amount of gold, so we recharged the monster wand for the heck of it. Belt was in fact saved.

Maze was straightfoward as well. Joshua used the paralyzing wands on the battle horrors (doom guards?) to good effect. Hanna crept invisible to disable 4 traps by the skeleton warriors. We then tried pro undead scroll, but it didn't work - so direct attack was necessary. We then went the long way around the Undercity to the Temple of Bhaal.

Here are our final stats prior to the battle:

Misty

Forrest

Hanna

Corarcher

Paja

Joshua

Final Battle

We had a lot of friends (summons) and Hanna tried to pull Sarevok alone - which she could not do, all the enemies came. At first we tried to concentrate on Semaj then we concentrated on Angelo. We did finally take down Angelo, but by then Forrest and Misty were killed, as were our summons and the team is in a cloudkill!

Baldr318_zpsa0f66aaa.png

Corarcher had haste boots, haste and pro magic scroll - he got busy running and shooting Sarevok. Paja, Hanna, and Joshua tried to deal with Semaj and Tazok. After a number of shots by Corarcher, Sarevok does in fact fall, but so does Joshua get slain by Tazok a moment later (not in the screenshot).

Baldr319_zps18d1d125.png

The entire team is graduating to BG 2 (this is a MP party). We might replace someone if they get chunked but not sure about that at the moment.

• ussnorway and Grimwald the Wise like this

ussnorway

ussnorway
  • Members
  • 2,350 posts

When I copied the saved game into another set-up it didn't crash. Obviously there were other issues. No portraits for NPCs from mods etc. Items not in the override folder would doubtless go missing.

However. that makes me think that if I copied the are file from that set-up to my modded set-up it could solve the problem. Is it the are file that needs to be copied, and are there any other files that go with it that should also be copied?

I would copy the area file form the old game and put it in the 'Override folder' of the working game then open your game save file... If that makes it crash then you know that the area file is causing it.

Corarcher the human archer - FINAL Update!

Bugger! Sorry to see another child killed at the finish line... Yipee they are alive.

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts

Sorry about that Corey

Blackraven

Blackraven
  • Members
  • 1,377 posts

Congrats Corey!
Best of luck Grond0 with your Bounty Hunter. Your picks for classes you've tried the challenge with lately, often coincide with mine (WS, Kensai, BH). Looking forward to how your Dwarf will fare, hopefully no concentration issues for you, as happened with my BH.  

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

Well done Corey - best of luck keeping the party together in BG2.

You're clearly working to a plan Grond0 and since you won't be making any mistakes, do tell how Melissan is going to be dealt with. I haven't thought that far ahead with the many kensai runs I tried but a green scroll plus FoA+5 GWW's might be an unpleasant surprise for her? Or perhaps Foebane +5. I believe she is immune to vorpal hits but not slow and possibly not LMD.

I've had success GWWing Melissan with the FoA before, so yes I think that would be a good option.  The only fight with her I would be too concerned about is the first one when there are no summons, her stoneskin needs wearing away and there's the possibility of a deadly timestop.  I would probably try and get Ras out immediately on entry to soak up the timestop while using a ranged weapon before closing for the kill.

The fight I was more worried about is with the fallen solar's group.  The idea there would be to try and break up the opposition using summons to peg most of them in place while the kensai takes a marilith away for disposal (the aim being to try and do that without using up GWWs) - then rinse and repeat if the main group have not heard the fighting on the other side of the area.  For the fallen solar itself using boots, cloak, Claw, belt, shield amulet and potions should get effective AC down to around -30 - with luck that would enable him to survive a few shots.

Best of luck Grond0 with your Bounty Hunter. Your picks for classes you've tried the challenge with lately, often coincide with mine (WS, Kensai, BH). Looking forward to how your Dwarf will fare, hopefully no concentration issues for you, as happened with my BH.  

Thanks Blackraven - though I wouldn't bet too much on that!

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

Gate70/Grond0 multiplayer attempt 65 - (update 2)

Nippy, human dark moon monk (Grond0) & Joye, half-elf conjuror (Gate70)

A somewhat better session today saw this pair make further progress.

The session started by going down to find Greywolf as part of a plan to improve their reputation.  The fight with him was won, though both Nippy and Joye were injured by new enemies while chasing after the blinded Greywolf.  Unfortunately further enemies kept popping up as they tried to regroup and severe lag made those much more dangerous than they should have been.  Ultimately, when a cave bear attacked Joye Nippy told her to run.  She protested that on her screen she was, but as you can see the judges' decision on the screen that matters was that she was just standing still waiting to be stomped :wacko:.

Things improved after that with most fights being relatively straight-forward.  Nippy is rather short of hits, but has still started meleeing a bit more, making it easier for Joye to support with spells.  Her stinking clouds also make some fights relatively trivial and she's been having a very successful run lately with stunning opposition via chromatic orb - such as this ogre (not so) berserker and Meilum.

One encounter of interest was the attempt to save Arabelle from marauding xvarts.  Looking at the screenshot it would appear that attempt was unsuccessful, but in fact the cow is about to leap to its feet again after recovering from the stinking cloud that has just expired.

The attack on Bassilus was a bit ticklish as a result of none of the undead disappearing.  They didn't go hostile initially either, but some nearby Bassilus did so when he came under attack meaning the duo couldn't take proper advantage of a stinking cloud and Nippy had to use stealth to put a few bullets through his skull to bring him down.

Stats:

Nippy, dark moon monk 6, 37 HPs, 85 kills

Joye, conjuror 5, 24 HPs, 41 kills, 2 deaths

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Sorry about that Corey

Ha! Guess I should have said Final BG 1 update - they aren't dead wise. You'll see them in the BG 2 thread...

• Blackraven likes this