Photo

Baldur's Gate 1 No-Reload Challenge

• Please log in to reply
16394 replies to this topic

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts

Scooed down the mines killing guards everywhere.

At the bottom took potion of invisibility, went past all the enemies and charmed the last two (from dark horizons) All three of us took on Davaeorn and the battle horrors.

One of my charmed allies got killed by the battle horrors. When the other one was near death, I stepped in and killed him. I then took on Davaeorn and the horrors now that his worst spells had been used.

Finished the job off and went to the Friendly Arms Inn.

There I was attacked by more dark horizons assassins.

They did not survive.

Went south and met yet more assassins.

They didn't survive either.

Now in the gate having killed the leader of the assassins that were on the bridge.

I did the job out of sight of his cohorts so they did not go hostile. They can wait until later.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Thror - dwarf kensai (update 1)

Working back up Tolkien's family tree from Thorin, through Thrain, gets us to Thror.  I have actually managed to find a picture of Thror to use with him.  Just in case he fails to avenge his descendants I've taken the precaution of checking the names of Thror's father and grandfather as well :D - though I can't find any pictures for them.

For a change, Thror will use a 2-handed sword as his main melee weapon.  He will, though, throw a fair number of axes in BG1 rather than being stuck with non-proficient daggers like Thrain was.

RecordL1_zps363a50df.jpg

• Blackraven likes this

Aasim

Aasim
  • Members
  • 1,361 posts

GL Grond0. If you need good dwarf pictures, try here. Download, resize to fit, save as bmp. 

• Blackraven likes this

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,558 posts

All the best for Thror, Grond0! Hope he will teach his descendants some new tricks =)

EDIT

Speaking of exotic things (look my comment in BG2 thread about recent Grond0's misfortune) and being inspired by Grond0's current Kensai' crusade I suddenly became quite obsessed with trying that class myself. Being not fond of pure warrior classes and not wanting to run an all-around favorite Kensai-Mage I decided to make a combo that is not available in game as it is but doable with some Shadowkeeper tweaks. I love fighter/druid combo - Jaheira is always in my Crew and I'm usually pleased with how she fare - but as she could wear a full plate, helm and shield she always stick with some decent club/sling/shield. On the other hand I always dreamed to try something different but still within the class - some kind of Nature warrior, who despises all those heavy, bulky armors which hinders a freedom of movement and only relying on his finesse with trusty quarterstaff/spear. More so I want to better utilize all those precious Druid' equipment and spells I rarely used before (Barkskins etc.) 

So while Impish Face is still full and well I'm going to introduce Grim, TN Half-Elven Kensai/Druid multi:

GrimKD.png

WeiDU:

Spoiler

So basically this is my usual SCS v.21 + Item Randomiser setup, polished with aTweaks, BG1NPC (it's a shame but this is a first time I ever try this mod) and some other visual tweaks.

Difficulty: Core (with max HP for all creatures in the game, max HP on Level Up and 100% spell learning via BG2 Tweaks).

• Grimwald the Wise and Blackraven like this

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Good luck to Grond0 and Serg! And hopefully Zaxxon and Tcos can meet with success in their next and last BG 1 session...

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts

All the best for Thror, Grond0! Hope he will teach his descendants some new tricks =)

Like the portrait.

Aasim

Aasim
  • Members
  • 1,361 posts

Love the stats. GL.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Thror - dwarf kensai (update 1)

Working back up Tolkien's family tree from Thorin, through Thrain, gets us to Thror.  I have actually managed to find a picture of Thror to use with him.  Just in case he fails to avenge his descendants I've taken the precaution of checking the names of Thror's father and grandfather as well :D - though I can't find any pictures for them.

For a change, Thror will use a 2-handed sword as his main melee weapon.  He will, though, throw a fair number of axes in BG1 rather than being stuck with non-proficient daggers like Thrain was.

RecordL1_zps363a50df.jpg

Grond0, why is your WIS so high on your Kensai? Isn't DEX more important? Or am I missing a deep plan of yours?

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

Best of luck Serg.  Since you say my kensai crusade has inspired you, I'll look forward eagerly to seeing your future attempts at a wild mage / druid combo ...

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

Grond0, why is your WIS so high on your Kensai? Isn't DEX more important? Or am I missing a deep plan of yours?

Good point!  I was rushing to get that generated before work and looks like I didn't quite get it right :wacko:.  I might have another go at him before setting him loose on the Sword Coast ...

Edit: - and done.

• corey_russell likes this

Blackraven

Blackraven
  • Members
  • 1,377 posts

Good luck Serg! (I agree that Kensai/Druid is an interesting combo. Barkskin will be your friend).
And to Grond0 as well. Hope to see Thror in SoA soon, where the real challenges lie for you I think. 

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,558 posts

Best of luck Serg.  Since you say my kensai crusade has inspired you, I'll look forward eagerly to seeing your future attempts at a wild mage / druid combo ...

Thanks! Interesting point about WIld Mage/Druid - I'll definitely look closer to this combo if I'll find out how to create it right... :wizard:

Aasim

Aasim
  • Members
  • 1,361 posts

Thanks! Interesting point about WIld Mage/Druid - I'll definitely look closer to this combo if I'll find out how to create it right... :wizard:

Impossible. 

Blackraven

Blackraven
  • Members
  • 1,377 posts

Impossible. 

Yep.
The closest I could imagine someone to get is to play with the multikit mod, Divine Remix, and a mod such as level 1 NPCs that removes class-based weapon restrictions. Combine Wild Mage with one of the DR Cleric kits that get a lot of Druid spells (such as Talos, Tempus, and Selune), and select typical Druid weapons. Still techincally a Cleric/Wild Mage of course.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

Thror - dwarf kensai (update 2)

Thror has made a start on his BG1 progress this morning.  I've generally been playing him pretty aggressively, so he's had to survive a few dodgy encounters.  In particular he failed to save against Venkt's horror in the bandit tent and was subjected to lots of spells as a result.  Fortunately the other inhabitants of the tent were all dead from firebreath at the time and Venkt's choice of LMD rather than MM for L1 spells meant that Thror just survived.

I remember one mistake in conversation when Thror chose to threaten a poor widow rather than offering to return her husband's ring, but that wasn't too costly.

He's just defeated Daveorn.  I don't normally use potions in that encounter, but Thror was stuck on that level as a result of a failed attempt to rest upstairs and I decided to weight the odds in his favour.  Daveorn helped out in that by severely injuring the battle horrors with a lightning bolt, meaning that a single hit apiece was enough to finish them off.

RecordL8_zps73ef47fe.jpg

... and he's finished

Thror - dwarf kensai (3rd and final update)

Thror maximised his reputation, shopped and picked up the tomes he wanted without any particularly close calls.

After returning from Candlekeep he potioned up for Slythe and then used those buffs to smack down the dopplegangers at the palace.  He cut his way through the maze, but bypassed the Undercity party on the way to the temple.  

This time Sarevok was just pulled out alone and Thror attacked using potion buffs, retreating a couple of times to regenerate before renewing the assault.  Sarevok's final hit took Thror into the danger zone and he would have retreated again a moment or two later - but there was no need.

• Grimwald the Wise likes this

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,558 posts

Impossible. 

Yep.
The closest I could imagine someone to get is to play with the multikit mod, Divine Remix, and a mod such as level 1 NPCs that removes class-based weapon restrictions. Combine Wild Mage with one of the DR Cleric kits that get a lot of Druid spells (such as Talos, Tempus, and Selune), and select typical Druid weapons. Still techincally a Cleric/Wild Mage of course.

Aye, I thought so. And as Gnomish Illusionist/Cleric is by far my most favorite combo I think I'll try to make him WM/Cleric and just pretend his is a WM/Druid.

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts

The final stretch turned out to be a bit of an anti-climax.

In Candlekeep I was never seriously hurt.

To rescue Duke Eltan I used potions of invisibility.

At the Iron Throne, it was buffs and hack and slash. It was made a bit easier at the start when only two of those at the top followed me downstairs.

The ducal palace went well. Fighting the doppelgangers I healed Lilia to keep her alive, but then Saravok killed her. Belt was still alive however, so I survived.

As I didn't want to be any stronger for SoA I opted out of the side quests of Werewolf island, Durlag's Keep, apart from getting the tomes, (One extra one in "Dark Horizons).

The Final Battle was won by divide and conquer, plus liberal use of potions of invisibility.

Used throwing axe +2 to avoid the attention of others that I wanted to leave until later.

With Sarevok himself it was just buffs and brute strength.

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,558 posts

Congrats once again, Grond0 & Wise! Try to be careful in Amn, will ya? ;)

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

Congrats once again, Grond0 & Wise! Try to be careful in Amn, will ya? ;)

Thanks Serg, but I'm afraid care was rather lacking in my game ...  

Perhaps Wise will be able to put up a better show :rolleyes:.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Delilah - human cavalier (update 1)

With Thror's quick demise in BG2 there was time to make a start with another character before breakfast.  I thought I'd reached the point of diminishing returns with kensais for the moment so decided to follow Corey's suggestion of a paladin.  Delilah the cavalier will aim to go and see what Wise's cavalier is up to in BG2 ...

She's been relatively untroubled so far.  She reached level 7 by fireballing Mulahey's support troops and has just finished off the cleric himself.

RecordL7_zpsde5e749b.jpg

• Grimwald the Wise and Blackraven like this

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts

Exactly the same tactics that I used.

They say Great minds think alike.

They also say that fools seldom differ. :lol:

I wonder which one is relevant. :)

• Blackraven likes this

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Delilah - human cavalier (update 2)

Delilah has moved on without much trouble and is about to enter Baldur's Gate.  

At the Bandit Camp her fire breath burnt up Venkt's associates, but the mage himself managed to cast horror.  That was the same situation as with Thror earlier in the day, but this time Venkt had chosen the wrong character class to cast horror at.

The full plate armour taken from Taugosz makes a huge difference to combat ability and Delilah was able to tank the battle horrors on the way to deal with Daveorn (using the Golden Girdle meant they needed a critical to hit her).  That encounter provided her final BG1 level.

• Blackraven likes this

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,558 posts

At the Bandit Camp her fire breath burnt up Venkt's associates...

Ladies should be careful with strong drinks...  Hope this will not affect her further progress  :)

• Blackraven likes this

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

Ladies should be careful with strong drinks...  Hope this will not affect her further progress  :)

Well not so far.  Ladies that make a habit of chopping attackers into tiny bits tend to have a strong stomach!

Delilah - human cavalier (3rd and final update)

In the City Delilah picked up the tomes along with the Helm of Balduran.  I wasn't being too careful there and she had to save against confusion just before finishing Marek off.  She also got taken down to about 20 HPs by Larze, although he wasn't given the chance to attack her again.

Before travelling to Candlekeep I also picked up the Cloak of Balduran, which I don't usually bother with, as Delilah wanted to try and melee Sarevok without retreating if possible.  

At Candlekeep she robbed the tombs before leaving invisibly - even taking pity on the basilisks despite carrying a green scroll of protection from petrification on her.  Before resting she then raised her reputation, which had been held down to 9 up to that point, in order to get her first good Bhaal power.  A quick round of the Sword Coast raised reputation further to 20 - including a bit of practice for Sarevok by tearing apart the Doomsayer.

Slythe was quickly meleed with a few potion buffs and they were also used at the palace - though the dopplegangers did manage to kill Liia this time.  Delilah went invisibly through the maze to get to the temple where she pulled Sarevok out alone and then went invisible and buffed.  That put her AC to -12 with -7 vs slashing and PfE adding a further -2 adjustment.  I had intended to buy the scroll of defensive harmony from Ulgoth's Beard, but didn't get around to it in the end.  As a result Sarevok was still hitting her rather too easily and she had to go invisible and regenerate when he was only badly injured.  On coming back in I intended to try and finish Sarevok off with a vampiric touch, but he decided to run away just as Delilah was disengaging to prepare for that.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Congrats Grond0 on your Cavalier success! Hope your pally can go far in BG 2...