Baldur's Gate 1 No-Reload Challenge

• Please log in to reply
16394 replies to this topic

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

This one was though.

Thanks for that link! Entering Delilah in the Hall of Heroes...

• Alesia_BH and Blackraven like this

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

Time for a different challenge I think.

Sorry to see Wilfred go, but play whatever suits you.

Any thoughts on what that might be? Have you tried a single class cleric?

Best,

A.

Dyara

Dyara
  • Members
  • 330 posts

I don't have the game in front me of me. But as far as I can remember, dire charm applies a -2 penalty on the target's saving throw, so that would definitely be the spell to use 1st. Charm person doesn't give any penalty to the target's saving throw I thought.

The longer casting time was the problem since Xan was the only visible target. In a previous run I used charm person (casting time 1 only) and it worked (perhaps because of some luck). However the other three had killed their former companion qickly so in the end it didn't change anything :D.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

The longer casting time was the problem since Xan was the only visible target. In a previous run I used charm person (casting time 1 only) and it worked (perhaps because of some luck). However the other three had killed their former companion qickly so in the end it didn't change anything :D.

I see, that makes sense. Thanks for the clarification.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

Sorry to see Wilfred go, but play whatever suits you.

Any thoughts on what that might be? Have you tried a single class cleric?

I think a cleric is a bit too close to a druid for me to want to do that for the moment - I dare say I'll give Wolfred another go in due course anyway as I don't think I've really given him a fair chance yet.

Grond0 you still don't have a trilogy paladin success yet - what about an inquisitor next? Or you got something different in mind? Perhaps show me 6 mage party can work? I'd pay good money to see that, if I had any...

6 mages sounds tempting - I might see how quickly I can roll up a group tomorrow morning ...

@Blackraven.  Thanks for digging out that reference :).

• Blackraven likes this

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Quick update Rozzel and his band of mages and berserker - The party is now level 4. We still haven't dealt with the main story line - Nashkel mines will be a bit more challenging than usual, kobold archers aren't exactly a mage's favorite enemy to fight. We all finally know at least one 2nd level spell, so that's a bit better. But money is still tight. We have 4 resist fears memorized - not because we need that many, but because the mages in question don't know other 2nd level spells yet (funds again...)

By this point, the absolute bane of our existence are all kinds of wolves - they ignore Tank and head right for the mages - right for the guys with range weapons equipped. They will also change targets quickly, getting in the +4 damage/+4 to hit on our mages. Ruzzel was nearly killed by a dread wolf doing this. We did get one good thing - we found a lightning rod on a gnoll! Gave to Stealer.

Some more mistakes as well. We had killed Caldo and Krumm - forgetting to loot, thus lost the girdle of bluntness - this is my preferred girdle for tanks, since full plate already confers slashing and piercing resistance. Bummer on that. I also was rather routine with Zordral - forgetting that if was a bit more choosy I could have gotten two robes from the encounter rather than 1 - oops.

But the party presses on...

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

It just wouldn't be a "I win" button as you described.

Agreed. However, given the duration, it is better suited to collateral damage protection than straight defensive use. I probably wouldn't use it much in your install, although it would depend on the details. I'd do some testing to ascertain who -exactly- is protected from spells cast by whom. The results may be counter intuitive, and could suggest avenues for use.

Anyhoo. Good luck! And have fun!

Best,

A.

NW: The Limited Wish globes are just one way of protecting your party from its own AoE spells. Spell protections and specific protections can accomplish the same thing. Limited Wish is just more economical. Throughout SoA and ToB, my arcane trio, and later quartet, blasted away with AoE spells in a multilayer Teleport Field while protected from each other's damage. They only used Limited Wish for a portion of their adventure. They also had a warrior along with them throughout SoA, an archer, who was likewise protected. The basic battle strategy was to buff against arcane attacks, cast and attack with melf's minute meteors and AoE spells, use a multilayer teleport field to thwart melee, and use Glitterdust to negate potential range attacks. With that approach, you can shutdown all three fundamental attack strategies (melee, spells, and ranged) while dealing massive damage. It's fun and it works. Of course, it's just one approach to playing an arcane party. Experiment and see what works best for you.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Ruzzel and his band of mages and a berserker update:

Here's some views from our travels. Another death - though Hanna was level 4, she got one-shotted by a winter wolf. Winter Wolves obviously pretty dangerous to our mages...

Baldr350_zpskj0ehjlp.png

We battled in the gibberling mountains as well. We thought this encounter was a good time to use a sleep spell...

Baldr351_zpszagqozxu.png

But wait, mages are getting hit but they are no where near the swarm? So I click on the mage getting hurt (Disabler) and see another group of gibberlings attacked the mages - fortunately we had another sleep we could use so did so.

Baldr352_zpskypgm6ed.png

We're keeping at it.

• Dyara likes this

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
The Arcane Army (update 1)

OK.  I've generated a party of 6 mages.  5 of those are elves, with one human.  The reason for that is that I wanted one character to have a natural strength of 18 to avoid having to rely on spells to carry bodies etc - and with elves minimum charisma requirement of 8 that would be unlikely to be possible without making sacrifices elsewhere.

Potions won't be allowed as usual, though they shouldn't be much of a handicap to this group.

The Army started the adventures by blinding and shooting down Firebead - despite the reputation penalty (I forgot to talk to him first though, so lost out on an identify scroll).  Some might argue that Firebead did not deserve that treatment, but surely no-one could protest about Xzar and Montaron being shot down (I don't normally allow recruiting of NPCs in my runs, so that's the only way to get their equipment).

They then journeyed on to Shoal.  They just killed her as at the moment I'm trying to avoid any deaths, so didn't want to talk to her in order to get Ogre Droth (and with no one wearing helmets that's of marginal benefit anyway).

In Beregost Firebead disappeared before they could give him a repeat treatment, but they got experience from Marl, some spiders (I was expecting to drag them outside, but there proved to be no need) and Mirianne to get everyone up to level 2.  Before leaving town they blinded and shot Karlat and returned Perdue his sword, gave Zhurlong some boots and blinded and shot Silke.

They moved down to the west of the main road - there are very few archers in ambushes on that route - to Nashkel.  On the way they dealt with Zargal and his companions (the archers being annoyed from long distance, then slept) and Bjornin's half-ogres along with various random spawns.

In Nashkel they invested some donations to ensure that Sage would get Bhaal CLW, while Neira was blinded to open up access to the inn there.  At the Carnival Oopah and Vitiare were blinded without problems.  Zordral saved against an initial salvo of 6 blind attemps, but after a couple of transitions in and out of his tent he was blinded twice by the next set.  After a quick reshuffle of places I thought he had lost track of where people were and started shooting at him - only for him to move belatedly towards Parsley and cast acid arrow on her.  With only 10 HPs available that looked bad and the group immediately left the tent and tried resting (I didn't think that would cure the acid arrow in the way it would poison, but thought it worth trying).  It didn't cure it, but she was very lucky and only suffered 9 HPs from the remaining 2 rounds of the acid arrow :D.  After resting they had another go and finally finished the mage off - though with more tent hopping when he resisted all their blind attempts.

After rescuing Arabelle they moved on to Firewine Bridge where Meilum proved to be a bit less resistant to blind than Zordral.  They then travelled back to Beregost (keeping to the east of the road this time) and played with some wolves in the temple area for a while - everyone getting to level 3 as a result.  That prompted a return to High Hedge to buy some spells.  Generally learning of those was reasonably good, but unfortunately they failed with 2 of the 3 invisibility scrolls, which is going to mean travel will continue to be hazardous for quite a while to come.  HP rolls so far have been good, with everyone being either on the average or 1 or 2 HPs above it.  In writing this update I realised that Sage had not yet got around to summoning a familiar - she has now rapidly done so.

The Army will be off to the basilisk area next.  With levels climbing they are likely to branch out considerably in their use of spells in the next session.

Stats:
Rosemary, mage 3, 15 HPs, 0 deaths, 24 kills
Parsley, mage 3, 16 HPs, 0 deaths, 20 kills
Thyme, mage 3, 16 HPs, 0 deaths, 25 kills
Sage (PC), mage 3, 27 HPs (incl. 12 from cat), 19 kills
Nutmeg, mage 3, 17 HPs, 0 deaths, 15 kills
Pepper, mage 3, 16 HPs, 0 deaths, 20 kills

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
Good luck.

Blaggerd has been parked outside the bandit camp for a few days and is well rested. Taugosz, Ardenor and their support are cleared out without incident and Blaggerd heads into the main tent. A greenstone amulet charge was used - in hindsight not required as horror isn't a concern.

With Venkt poisoned, Raemon Hakt and Britik rapidly collapse and Blaggerd makes his way to Cloakwood. The Spiders Bane sword is picked up as the weapon of choice and he is mulling over the wyvern cave (which I'm wary of when not using a shield) but a wyvern ambush arrives first. Two huge skulls later he is reasonably confident about the cave and adds another two from there into his backpack. On his way to sell them he kicks another two skulls into the long grass as he is unable to carry them. The six wyverns drag him nearer to the BG:EE xp cap.

Cloakwood Mine sees a greenstone amulet charge used and a poison weapon as he moves between Kysus and Rezdan. They are both poisoned and dead, while Drasus is poisoned but stubbornly alive until his health is drained. Genthore should have run away while he had the chance. Blaggerd has taken some wounds but the single buff (amulet) in a slugfest shows what a blackguard is capable of. XP cap reached too (and a roll of 14hp so that's 4 or 5 characters in a row well above average hit dice).

After another rest, the mine is investigated with arrows of fire being used against a pair of ghasts. Two battle horrors are tackled one at a time and a few healing potions used before adding a potion of magic blocking and moving towards Davaeorn. At least three teleports are used by the mage before he is caught by a poisoned weapon.

On to the city of Baldur's Gate where Marek and Jalantha Mistmyr rapidly bloat with poison. Larze in the Blushing Mermaid looks capable of dishing out a hiding so the blackguard doesn't even try melee. Shortbow +1, arrows of biting and poison weapon combine with a 100% hit rate but the ogre soaks up damage and several more arrows are used than originally intended. Marek provides a bow upgrade and Blaggerd rests before departing.

Another potion of magic blocking works long enough for Blaggerd to poison Diyab, Aasim, Naaman and Alai. The poison lasts long enough for him to finish off the survivors and then he cuts down the doppelganger and Zhalimar Cloudewulfe before absorbing some health from Gardush.

After emptying his backpack at Sorcerous Sundries it is time to return to Candlekeep. That doesn't take long, nor does Slythe, Krystin or Quenash (cloudkill collateral damage). Next up is rescuing Belt and Liia from a group of greater doppelgangers, potions poison and aura of despair convincingly save the day. Sarevok gives as good (better) than he gets before teleporting away, being the first opponent for some time to outperform the blackguard.

Blaggerd nips through the thieves maze before Rahvin and his mercenaries prove hard to kill. With Shaldrissa and Wudei dead Blaggerd is forced to drag Gorf away so he can finish Rahvin and Carston off before shooting the badly wounded ogre down with their arrows.

In to the not-quite-abandoned temple. The first arrow dispels Sarevok and a second does Semaj. Poison is applied to the mage but he teleports and re-mirrors. Blaggerd has kept pace though and applies more poison through the mirrors. 1 down. 

Angelo is next, Tazok appearing in time for him and Sarevok to come to the rescue but Blaggerd trades a bit of pain to leave Angelo in poor shape. A quick lap of the mosaic skull on the temple floor gives Blaggerd enough time to finish him off and then Tazok is cut down just out of Sarevok's reach.

Blaggerd does a few liquid laps of the skull again (2x mind focusing, heroism, storm giant, speed, regeneration) before poisoning his blade and moving in for the kill. 3 or 4 hits later Sarevok has had enough and collapses to the ground. Over to Amn...
(as usual, Sarevok seems much easier in the temple than at the coronation)

• Blind_Visionary likes this

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

Sounds like a nice clean run Gate - keep it going.

Aasim

Aasim
  • Members
  • 1,361 posts

Gratz Gate.

Phoe Gyi, 3rd BG1 update

We took in Edwin, gave him Wand of Fire which he excersised quite freely.

12_zpsibjzwnsp.jpg

Dynaheir was killed. It made me happy to kill her for some reason.

13_zpswn8njpsm.jpg

Now, to gather money, we kill Greywolf - Stunning Fist + Hold did him.

14_zpsgsb8zqb0.jpg

...Bassiluss.. - Silence + Call Lightning

15_zps6aax5te2.jpg

Some Vampiric Wolves for a quick XP boost

16_zpsxrdszkvr.jpg

And then we were of for a short visit to Duralg. Not without problems. First Edwin managed to kill himself to his own Fireball.

17_zpsgjsgebv2.jpg

Sigh. Back to temple, then back to Duralg's. Phoe Gyi got level 6 there (+7 HP).

Attempting to rest there spawned this bunch of ghasts. With aTweaks, they're very fast, and usually aim for weak PCs.

18_zpsuzpbk5nn.jpg

Incredibly enough - nobody died.

19_zpsihgs4pow.jpg

20_zpsv0ygpwlb.jpg

We explored the first bottom level up to this area here, picked up the loot we could (we can't bash any chests there), and exited the area, never to return again. 

21_zpsk1omksdv.jpg

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts

Another kensai rolls out. He's already broken one axe just getting out of Candlekeep (although it looks like the blacksmith had forged an axe head onto a sword).

Baldr000.jpg

Baldr001_1.jpg

• Alesia_BH, Blind_Visionary and Blackraven like this

Aasim

Aasim
  • Members
  • 1,361 posts

Phoe Gyi, 4th BG1 update

Mutamin was slain succesfully. Jaheira failed to get a poison arrow hit on him, but Muta also failed with his Remove Magic.

22_zps92s00vxg.jpg

Seeing an opening, Phoe Gyi rushes to him and flaps him with Stunning Fist. He never recovered.

23_zpsom9z1api.jpg

Edwin had his share of fun vs Kirian. Two pre-set Skull Traps to block the entry, Flame Arrow to trigger the fight, and an additional Wand Fireball was more they could take.

24_zps2zy85dlq.jpg

We also finished the mercenaries in Gullykin with the same tactic, Viconia helped with Blight here (it affects enemies regardless of alignment - as a sidenote, I made sure SCS "understands" the change so we'll be getting hit by it as well, even if all evil apart Jaheira. Same rules apply!)

Melium survived for less than a round, Jaheira didn't even finish to cast Call Lightning. :D

26_zpsgehhvbmd.jpg

Now, some utterly evil deeds were to happen. With over 20K gold, we visit Ulgoth's, buy whatever we need, and kill off Hurgan. Here's your dagger.

27_zps1oli6vwp.jpg

Another - the slaying of Keldath. Edwin died here to poisoning, but that's fine. More XP for the rest!

28_zpsj2zok6sp.jpg

Since Keldath is such a high-leveled priest, he's notoriously dangerous. Viconia did him with Silence, making the battle much easier. I also had to micro Viconia's skeletons, since clerics usually turn them.

29_zpswqvv8dwt.jpg

Killing his summoned Aerial Servant lasted a while, but we pulled through with no more deaths.

30_zpsqfxfvmsg.jpg

That being done (and reputation being 6), sirens are next. Skeletons are amazing here. With their slew of various immunites, Sirens can't do nothing vs them.

31_zpsvxvw751p.jpg

Up north, killed more sirens + some rampaging Ogres. Entangle+2xSkull Trap+Fire Trap and a Call Lighting finsiher.

32_zpsc0gbmpuu.jpg

Now we're fairly close to level 7, and should be returning to main plot by killing Mulahey.

• Blackraven likes this

Aasim

Aasim
  • Members
  • 1,361 posts

Phoe Gyi, 5th BG1 update

Rahter short, we did Nashkel mines. Mulahey got a stealth-Stunning Fist combo

33_zpsumbfhxwm.jpg

Amazons some AoE magic + a skillfully placed Skull Trap...(the two theives like to run away and hide in shadows).

34_zpss646c2o1.jpg

35_zpsr3ug8sy4.jpg

Killing the Revenant gave Phoe Gyi level 7 and a whooping 10 HP.

36_zps2qb9dpcg.jpg

Nimbul got the same treatment as Mulahey. Now we shall return to Beregost, and assault bandit camp. Bought Claw of Kazgaroth for Phoe Gyi                 (unchanged by IR, due to popular demand).

37_zpsumzagftb.jpg

• Alesia_BH likes this

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

Gate70/Grond0 multiplayer attempt 74 - (3rd and final update)

Lug, dwarf kensai (Grond0) & Slug, dwarf kensai (Gate70)

The Thug Twins moved swiftly through their initial encounters in Baldur's Gate.  The old one-two (or possibly one-two-three) was sufficient for Jalantha, Ramazith and Marek.  Larze soaked up considerably more punishment, but flying axes eventually brought him down as well.  The hardest fight was with the Mountain Maulers where Slug started off in the middle of the enemies with no AC buffs and was soon forced to make a run out the door and convert the melee into a running fight.  He also took quite a bit of damage from the ghasts in Ramazith's Tower - eventually realising that they were hitting so easily because he was trying to pummel them to death with his fist.

After securing the Cloak of Balduran Lug sneaked into the Iron Throne before the duo reported to Duke Eltan that the Seven Suns were sorted.  Back at Candlekeep Slug looted the tombs then led the assault on Prat and his gang.  He was slightly disgused to be leaving valuables like rogue stones and Laeral's Tear necklaces behind, but the Twins already had more funds than they needed (more money than sense did I hear someone say :P).

After a few more potions were purchased in Baldur's Gate Slythe was given the treatment - though he got a decent few whacks of his own in.  On to the palace where various potion buffs were taken - the combination proving far too much for the dopplegangers to handle.  Those buffs also made clearing the maze easy, but the Undercity party proved a different matter.  Most of the buffs had ended by then and Slug going in with just a charge of the Greenstone Amulet quickly took a dangerous amount of damage even before his buff was dispelled and he was held.  Lug used a PFM scroll and a few potion buffs to finish off the opposition, but far too late to help Slug so he had to trudge back to the temple to raise him.

After picking up Slug's equipment and resting it was time for the final showdown with Sarevok.  He was pulled out alone by a long-distance axe throw from Lug and soon locked horns with Slug.  A few frenetic seconds later and Slug retreated to lick his wounds before rejoining the fray.  He did that once more and with Sarevok now well into near death Lug thought he saw an opportunity for glory and stepped into melee himself.  I think he got one hit in, but took major damage himself and then had to run round a bit with Sarevok hot on his heels before Slug came back in for a finishing hit.

Stats:

Lug, kensai 8, 96 HPs, 189 kills

Slug, kensai 8, 95 HPs, 211 kills, 2 deaths

• Blind_Visionary, Blackraven and Dyara like this

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Grats Grond0 and Gate70! Hope you guys can do as well in Amn.

Quick Update on Ruzzel and his band of mages and berserker: 

After getting level 5 for the mages after obtaining the CON tome for Tank, the group is finally starting to feel powerful. We have our first area damage now (skull traps) - ambush danger is much less, now that magic missile is 3 orbs each cast, as shown against these poor gnolls who though ambushing us was a good idea. In the same battle, we showed we have other options when forced into melee, such as burning hands.

We even got a two ogre mage ambush - we would have ran before, but now that we were level 5 we held our ground, even though most of the party was fatigued - neverthless, with our many spells, the ogre mages could't stand against us and victory was assured, though we did take some damage. Interestingly enough, in many ambushes exploder does tanking duty, after first buffing with mirror image - this has worked well.

We still have no where near enough gold for Thalantyr robes, but we thought we were tough enough to deal with Nashkel Mines now - kobolds couldn't do much, with us doing skull traps vs. the kobold commandos. Here's the battle mid-way against Mulahey and his minions - he was hit with so many spells he couldn't cast anything.

Baldr355_zpswcudjwvh.png

Nimbul was defeated with shield amulet and resist fear. We sold, rested and are considering our next move - probably going to try to clear out the 3 tombs area. But we may get some magical staffs first.

• Blind_Visionary, Blackraven and Dyara like this

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts

Happy casting Corey. Nice robes by the way :)

Kixar was having a relatively trouble-free ride, Davaeorn for example didn't react until his mirrors evaporated and he evaporated before his first spell could complete. Probable reason; I clicked to attack but he was still shown as neutral so I force-attacked but the talk click must have messed with his head/script.

At 151997xp and 84hp I changed my usual kensai Iron Throne HQ approach. A potion of magic blocking downstairs followed by a dual-wielding attack on their casters. Kixar reached Diyab and gulped a potion of stone form and this was my plan. No laughing at the back please. Oh, go on then.

5 rounds later the blocking potion expired and Diyab was still alive - I'd been expecting to have maybe 2 casters down and another on the way. Kixar broke for the stairs, taking a couple of Melf Acid Arrows on the way. Down two flights and dash the chasing doppelganger before using cure light wounds x2.

Back upstairs, but some shoddy work saw Kixar herd the gang back up instead of dividing them further, with only Alai mortuaried as a result. Up onto the roof then, but nobody follows. 2 or 3 feints and up come Gardush, Naaman and Aasim. One caster is felled but Gardush is inflicting damage so Kixar goes back to the fifth floor and into the back rooms. Zhalimar tags him with an arrow or two on the way so Kixar gulps a couple of healing potions.

Zhalimar is by the door so Kixar moves in to melee and quickly inflicts some hefty damage. Naaman turns up next to the combatants so Kixar chunks him instead and switches back to Zhalimar who is now badly wounded. Bang, halberd and axe each hit their target. Kixar gulps another potion and takes a swing but Zhalimar hits once more and Kixar falls first.

• Blind_Visionary and Dyara like this

Blind_Visionary

Blind_Visionary
  • Members
  • 462 posts

I'm having so much fun reading all of your updates that I've forced Grace into suspended animation (and have made no progress)... nice work everyone!

• Blackraven likes this

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts

Roleplaying this next one so likely to go pear shaped (like that makes any difference).

Blaggerd scowls. The only 2 handed sword in Candlekeep has just been gnawed by rats. He'd been planning to be a good boy but this has just soured his outlook on life ;-)

It gets worse. The patronly voice in his head started saying the sojourn from Candlekeep is the ideal time to do Gorion in and be free from his influence. Blaggerd had it all planned, albeit changing the brutal swordblow for a quick bop over the head with the useless quarterstaff. Just as he was about to strike, an ambush saves Gorion. Sort of...

Did I mention the poison? Wore off before Blaggerd could tag the rather too eager Shoal, meaning he had to use 15 daggers in total (not bad for non-proficient) and picking up 24hp.

Not one of the three gnolls at High Hedge had a two handed sword but Blaggerd consoled himself by poisoning all three and only having to finish the veteran gnoll off by absorbing health from it.

Melicamp dies again, and Thalantyr is less than impressed when Blaggerd commandeers the runic accelerator to prepare a tasty dish out of the remains. He calms down when Blaggerd forks out for a potion case and a potion of freedom to put in it. Blaggerd knows he should only purchase equipment at reputational highs but has a feeling this (average, 9) is probably it.

Zhurlong picks the wrong mark, as does Marl. Firebead Elvenhair is fooled into reading a book so doesn't notice the quarterstaff being poisoned. He hits back with confusion and flame arrow despite the poison, but dies before he can get a decisive spell out.
Baldr007.jpg

• Blind_Visionary likes this

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

I'm having so much fun reading all of your updates that I've forced Grace into suspended animation (and have made no progress)... nice work everyone!

I was going to like this post, but then it occurred to me that that might send the wrong message.

I like the fact that you are having fun reading.

I don't like the fact that Grace has stalled. :)

Enjoy! Looking forward to seeing Grace active again.

Best,

A.

• Blind_Visionary and Blackraven like this

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

Best of luck with Blaggerd II, Gate!

Aasim

Aasim
  • Members
  • 1,361 posts

Phoe Gyi, 6th BG1 update

Bandit Camp is done. Not without losses, but nothing permanent.

We got of to a lovely start, destroying the first wave of oponnents with AoE magic.

38_zpsjgums9qa.jpg

Edwin poked around a bit too long. Acrhers tagged him, and he dies in agony. One evil wizard down, one to go.

39_zpsyhgndnk2.jpg

We do some close quarters fighting, Viconia's skeletons don't really last long. We throw Explosion potions, and are soon left without any more to throw.

Jaheira dies as well.

40_zpslynkbxxk.jpg

This was time to start panicking slightly. Phoe Gyi searches Edwin's body, and finds one more Explosion potion. Yey! He tosses it to Viconia, who throws it in between what's rest of them, destroying the already wounded opossition.

41_zpsiit9o4js.jpg

We pick up the valuable loot, raise the dead at Nashkel, and are off to Cloakwood. We don't bother with druids or the area with Wyvern cave, but spiders are generally easy and worth nice XP. Jaheira got level 7 there - this makes her able to cast level 4 spell - including Ice Storm.

42_zpsbcok3liu.jpg

As the opossition near the mine entrance soon discovered, the spell is utterly devastating against mages who rely on Minor Globes for protection.

43_zpsth1lrjro.jpg

Easy clen-up.

44_zpspiqspeau.jpg

I normally wouldn't bother with this particulary nasty group but they have Boots of Speed. Monk is actually the one single character I like to wear these; since they cannot be hasted.

With no more loot we have any use for, it was time to invisibly travel through the mine, until Davaeorn. Phoe Gyi uses Pro Magic here, buffs with potions and charges forward. The rest of the group is hidden. Unfortunately, Monks don't really have the same killing power as fighter types yet. This gave time for Davaeorn's troops to come in. Jaheira breaks her invisibility, and launches an Ice Storm in the area.

45_zpsirgxfdqk.jpg

Davaeorn also waded in briefly, took heavy damage, and then started running around out of Ice Storm's aoe. With more and more soldiers coming in, Phoe Gyi started to take serious damage. Soon came a moment when he got cornered by enemies, unable to move. Edwin? EDWIIIIIIIN!!!

47_zpsfademerz.jpg

We're off to big city.

Aasim

Aasim
  • Members
  • 1,361 posts

Phoe Gyi, 7th BG1 update

BG held no big surprises. Most of the clergy was slain. :P

48_zpsa1l6pbb4.jpg

We took the safe approach vs Iron throne by sneaking in and stealing the documents, did some shopping - mostly arrows for Jaheira and an investment in scrolls/potions.

Up in Candlekeep, Jaheira showed those Iron Throne flunkies where the pain is.

Ice Storm + Detonation arrow x2 did them all.

If we're to be accused, it better be for real. :D

49_zpsgy9ipb8f.jpg

Two Ice Stroms were dropped on Prat and his gang. Only he survived since he came rushing to meet us, but got revealed and hit by Paralyzation wand.

50_zpscsk4vjwh.jpg

That done, back to BG, to meet Slythe boy. Here I noticed a very interesting prebuff routine these goons have. Slythe is under Magic Shielding, hence he will save against anything thrown at him. His comrade however, is lacking. Globe would protect her vs level 4 and lower, but Edwin has a Chaos scroll (few of them actually) which bypass such protections. 

51_zpsnletyrei.jpg

Let's try it out...

52_zps9btlpqi2.jpg

Bingo. Notice Phoe's HP here. Run, monk, run.

His zero speed factor fists prove decisive, as he gets the first blow in - pummeling Slythe into chunked afterlife.

53_zpsnaflk5tm.jpg

Krysten has a very decent AC, and hitting her is hard business. Chaos might expire before she's dead. No chances shall be taken, Wand gets put to good use and Krystin now gets hit even by Edwin's pathetic THAC0 score.

54_zpsp4wcmoef.jpg

Coronation was much easier than usual. Chaos affected the mage! For the first time since I use this tactic.

55_zpsd6wntxff.jpg

That alone made the battle three times as short.

The final dope tried to hide in the basement, but I know the drill.

56_zps3iofetyn.jpg

Now, Maze. I have a pretty good strategy here (tnx Corey for making me try this area without a thief!). One characer(Phoe Gyi in this instance) uses Pro Magic scroll and goes invisible. He triggers every trap, then goes back, then we gang up and clear the area.

Works splendidly.

57_zpsddlmp2ib.jpg

High on adrenaline, we finish of what's left of Iron Throne. Sorry, but Sarevok is my pray. Ice Storm x2 + Detonation arrows.

58_zpsjzswjsby.jpg

(I should probably be killing these guys more often - they've got a crapload of high quality potions like Oils of Speed).

Aasim

Aasim
  • Members
  • 1,361 posts

Phoe Gyi, 8th and final BG1 update

We start Sarevok finale as usual, sending our archer in, tossing some arrows, then hiding again to see where we stand. Aperrantly we stand in the world of cheese, since Angelo cast against a sanctuaried Viconia.  :angry: MR stopped it, but still...

59_zps4sqmio7e.jpg

Regardless, he pokes to much, as usual. Edwin holds him, and that was it for him.

60_zpsr9etd8lo.jpg

Now, Jaheira is put to good use. Enemies here love to clump up, and Ice Storm loves clumped up spaces. Both Semaj and Tazok die to three castings of the spell. Diramid is immune, and Sarevok can't be hurt until Diramid dies - which will happen quite soon, by all means.

61_zpsrkh5jtzv.jpg

Apperantly, death of two of his acolytes made Sarevok angry, and he comes to us. It's late for that I'm afraid.

Viconia raises meatshields  boneshields. Phoe Gyi uses his Ki Step to close the distance between Diramid quickly, and Jahiera loads up Acid Arrows.

62_zpsnpjusjal.jpg

This worked perfectly - we down the archer just in time for Viconia to summon 2nd batch of skeletons.

63_zpsanq97xiy.jpg

We focus the undead first - while they're weak on defence, they hit like a truck. Edwin starts tossing magic missiles and using Wand of Monster summoning, Viconia raises her last skeleton group, and it doesn't last long from now on - Sarevok succumbs to Jaheira's arrows.

Phoe Gyi gained level 9 here after Sarevok's death (+5 HP). All in all - this was the easiest time vs Sarevok I had so far. :)

64_zpsuensu7fl.jpg

• Gate70, Blind_Visionary and Dyara like this