Baldur's Gate 1 No-Reload Challenge

• Please log in to reply
16394 replies to this topic

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Ruzzel the Illusionist with his band of mages and berserker - Candlekeep

Like Grond0, for once we found some useful spells in the library shelves, as well as that room of spells before getting to the crypts. Opening crypts was no problem thanks to Stealer's excellent lock and trap scores. However, dealing with the phase spiders did NOT go to plan. After this experience, I will full buff before engaging, them, even though my mages were near the entrance they got targeted. In any case only one phase spider came - it felt our full wrath (face full of MMs) - we thought we should be fine. 

However, it quickly became critical - two more joined the fray and now the mages were fighting for their lives! They empties their books of magic missiles but it was NOT enough, and Blaster died. The rest of the mages lived.

Ruzzel decided to cut his losses and get out of here. But then Corey_Russell remembered about the many spells from Prat's gang - but we really can't afford any more deaths down here. So thus, time for ultra safe (or so we thought). A truly massive army was arrayed against Prat - the mages attempted to help with blind, but then Ruzzel got a pathing issue and spotted by Prat! Prat apparently decided that the summons weren't worth of a lightning bolt, but Ruzzel was! Ruzzel takes a lightning bolt at point blank range. For once, Ruzzel actually got a bounce in his favor and the bolt bounced away from him - it did however hit Stealer twice and nearly killed her. Interestingly enough there was so much summons, the game was LAGGING. There were, however, no more mishaps and Prat and goons eventually succumbed to Ruzzel's army! Whew!

Since we are at our level caps, Ruzzel did protection from petrification on Tank and Tank cleared out the basilisks. We resurrected Blaster at FAI, rested to get our final (useless) Bhaal power, sold our junk and will prepare to deal with Slythe.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Good times Corey. You're doing very well in a playthrough that was (initially) not really within your comfort zone I think:
Is there a reason that Exploder has died a couple of times?

Yes - we were in MANY ambushes during this run - it was necessary for exploder to hold her ground else the enemy goes for Ruzzel - better she go down than him. : )

EDIT: There were other issues too actually - due to equipment issues, she had the worst AC of everyone - in addition, she wasn't able to learn mirror image until chapter 6, so she didn't have that spell to protect her like the other mages did.

• Blackraven likes this

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Ruzzel the Illusionist and his band of mages and berserker - FINAL BG 1 UPDATE!

So Ruzzel and gang head back to the Gate. First stop was dealing with Slythe. I wanted to be ultra-safe - so a SMALL army (6 elite hobgoblin archers) attacked slythe, with Stealer directing while invisible. Then we waited, Krystin started casting some spells, we were hoping Quenash would be caught it the cloudkill but she wasn't - however good thing came of this anyways - Slythe found out Krystin's love for him wasn't as strong as he had hoped - she attacks and kills him! Thanks! Tank then moves in since she has no buffs by this point and easily finishes her.

Next up was the Duchal Palace - a huge assembly of monsters gathered and it did not faze the nobles one bit - all nobles look like monsters perhaps?

A fierce battle then erupted.

Baldr390_zpstm4od6ni.png

However, the dukes were saved and Sarevok was forced to flee.

We went invisible through the Thieve's Maze and the Undercity - time for the final battle! First, Sarevok's worst nightmare was assembled.

At first we thought the battle was going well - we opened with chaos x4 on Semaj - he wasn't very effective after that. Stealer died pretty fast, with her poor saves, but that was kind of expected.

Baldr393_zpsxpywynt1.png

However, Angelo soon turned the tables, slaying monsters en masse - time to summon backup quick!

Baldr394_zpsdcadudal.png

Eventually, huge masses of summons lie dead, as well as Tazok and Semaj. Hanna tries to skull trap Angelo (but never gets it off) - the remaining mages decide enough is enough, focus on the main target - 15 orbs head for Sarevok.

Baldr395_zpsthefcyun.png

Exploder dies, and Sarevok tries to finish Disabler, but he never gets the chance - another 15 magic missile orbs finishes him.

As this is a MP party, entire party moving onto Amn. I won't be able to do this in Amn, but that's fine, I intend to explore the spell system there. I figured might as well as enjoy while I'm here. : )

Tank, Berserker 8, 76 HP, 1040 kills

Stealer, Mage 7/Thief 8, 40 HP, 318 kills, Favorite Spell: Invisibility

Ruzzel, Illusionist 9, 48 HP, 135 kills,, Favorite Spell: Magic Missile

Disabler, Mage 9, 39 HP, 223 kills, Favorite Spell: Blindness

Blaster, Mage 9, 51 HP, 208 kills, Favorite Spell: Magic Missile

Exploder, Mage 9, 41, 209 kills, Favorite Spell: Magic Missile

• Alesia_BH, Blind_Visionary, Blackraven and 1 other like this

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

Congrats Corey! Looking forward to seeing your crew and Grond0's in Amn!

Best,

A.

• corey_russell, Aasim and Blackraven like this

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Congrats Corey! Looking forward to seeing your crew and Grond0's in Amn!

Best,

A.

Thanks Alesia! Amn will be a much sterner challenge for my group. BG 1 has so many wands - we had so many we left a bunch behind and didn't take them with us for Sarevok. I'll have to rely on good spells instead there. And I will heed your words, and keep defensive spells well in mind.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

Well done Corey.  I'll be watching out for the trail of devastation you leave in Amn. 

Looking forward to seeing your crew and Grond0's in Amn!

Maybe, though they struggled with Balduran's Isle and didn't get the intended benefits ...

The Arcane Army (update 7)

Looking for more XP in BG1 the Army stocked up on missiles before going to Ulgoth's Beard to find Mendas.  Shortly afterwards they'd got a set of charts and found themselves on the trail of Balduran.

They were working their way around the island clearing enemies when a slight lack of concentration resulted in the third party death.  Nutmeg had retreated from Palin, after being targeted with arrows, into territory explored moments before - but now host to a couple of wolves.  I did actually notice them and intended for Nutmeg to run them round while the others were finishing off Palin.  However, I switched focus from him for fractionally too long - only returning to see that the wolves were in striking range.  He still had a fair number of HPs - but not sufficient to survive this critical.

That was a real pain as the intention was to get everyone's XP up (I'm not allowing anyone to level up until they're all ready).  The slightly diminished Army ploughed on though and cleared the bottom level of the ship easily enough.  However, on going on to the second level I got distracted by RL and wrongly thought the group were all invisible.  That resulted in some quick skipping between levels, but they did manage to shake off pursuit without anyone being killed.  Invisibility would have allowed them to make their escape and come back prepared, but my disappointment in the earlier death resulted in an early assault while still injured and unbuffed - and Rosemary getting killed as well.  The even more depleted Army cleared the third level, but at that point I decided enough was enough and went to bed before tackling Karoug!

Up again I attempted the final level a bit more intelligently.  Parsley used the boots of speed to get attackers to chase her between levels - breaking their numbers up to get them to chase her one at a time.  I was surprised that Karoug was stunned by dart very early on - only 1 other of the wolfweres was caught like that despite using many such darts.  Even with hasted attackers though I wasn't confident they could beat his regeneration so helped things along with a rare use of wands (only the second time in the game fire wands have been used, there's also been one use of a wand of monster summoning). Killing the remaining wolfweres gave the reduced group the XP for level 9, though they didn't make use of it for now.

After talking to Kaishas Gan in the hut they left invisibly.  Parsley talked to her again at the ship and checked to see if any other werewolves were following (I couldn't remember vanilla behaviour vs SCS) before she was trapped behind Thyme acting as an invisible blocker.  Under missile assault she was also eventually stunned and quickly finished off.

Back at Ulgoth's Beard Parsley ran round Mendas and his crony and eventually managed to separate them, though she nearly died from a critical hit in the process.  The first one was then lured into an ambush with the rest of the Army casting skull traps while Parsley was protected by MGoI.  The chasing loup garou was Selaad, who surprisingly died immediately (I thought he would have better saves and MR than that), but it was welcome to see that the Army could now travel without dying of lycanthropy.  They immediately did so, putting the full army back together before returning to finish off the other loup garou.  It's a shame they can't get back onto Balduran's Isle to harvest all the remaining werewolves there, so I suppose it will have to be Ice Island next - that will require care to do safely.

Stats:
Rosemary, mage 8, 37 HPs, 2 deaths, 278 kills
Parsley, mage 8, 44 HPs, 0 deaths, 217 kills
Thyme, mage 8, 41 HPs, 1 death, 190 kills
Sage (PC), mage 8, 52 HPs (incl. 12 from cat), 142 kills
Nutmeg, mage 8, 37 HPs, 1 death, 155 kills
Pepper, mage 8, 35 HPs, 0 deaths, 169 kills

• corey_russell and Dyara like this

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,558 posts

Well done, Grond0 & Corey! Looking forward for Magic Show in Amn :wizard:  

• corey_russell and Golden28 like this

Blackraven

Blackraven
  • Members
  • 1,377 posts

Congrats Corey! A very enjoyable run for me to follow, and I'm glad the gang made it :)
Looking forward to reading of their exploits in Amn.

BG 1 has so many wands - we had so many we left a bunch behind and didn't take them with us for Sarevok.

You can pick up, sell, and buy back the Wands from Irenicus' Dungeon. Some of them are still quite useful in BG2 (at least early/mid SoA). 

• corey_russell likes this

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
The Arcane Army (8th and final update)

Shandalar seemed to have some sort of a grievance against the Army and sent them to Ice Island as soon as he saw them.  That proved to be no trouble.  Mages were primarily dealt with by invisibility and skull traps from out of sight, with summons acting as distraction on one occasion.  Invisible explorers using MGoI and mirrors triggered the traps.  After talking to Shandalar they tried magic missiling him, but couldn't quite kill him before he teleported away.  I suspect if they all had been level 9 as planned they would have killed him :(.

I didn't think I could remember the traps in Durlag's Tower well enough to safely do that and didn't want to cheese XP by resting to get new enemies - so the Army have just reported in to Duke Belt for duty in Athkatla.

Stats:
Rosemary, mage 8, 37 HPs, 2 deaths, 279 kills
Parsley, mage 8, 44 HPs, 0 deaths, 219 kills
Thyme, mage 8, 41 HPs, 1 death, 193 kills
Sage (PC), mage 8, 52 HPs (incl. 12 from cat), 146 kills
Nutmeg, mage 8, 37 HPs, 1 death, 157 kills
Pepper, mage 8, 35 HPs, 0 deaths, 175 kills

• Blackraven likes this

Aasim

Aasim
  • Members
  • 1,361 posts

@ Corey - congratulations! Real Children of Bhaal you're playing...that's a slaughterhouse in Sarevok's temple...

@ Grond0  - grats and GL further.

• corey_russell and Golden28 like this

Golden28

Golden28
  • Members
  • 277 posts
EPISODE 3: Eren the Unbroken, Berserker/Cleric (bg2).

Eren had his closest brush with dead to date..., read all about my desperate attempts to staying alive in this episode...

First, cloakwood. No problem with a potion of freedom from high hedge. Killed the wyverns, actually didnt even get wounded.

Schermafdruk%202015-03-16%2013.35.56_zps

Rested right before the big fight for the haste boots. Here we go: 
-skeleton warrior, stinking cloud and web take out a warrior and a mage. The fast berserker followed us, but the combined might of five killed him pretty quickly. We paralyze the first mage with a rod and kill him, then shoot the held 2nd warrior. I underestimate the second mage though. He starts with mirrorimage and protection from normal missles, then holds and spooks some the team.. he even charms one of them. All in all, 5 vs one is still no fair fight, and he falls:

Schermafdruk%202015-03-16%2013.58.53_zps

Next was Daevaeorn on SCS, I was wondering what that would be like. Well... I found out. I kill some bandits and sneak past the rest leaving me in front of the mage with no thief. I search traps by spell and find like 6 laying before me. I ponder a while but my thinking is interrupted by 2 battle horrors. I had Dynaheir equpped with the boots of haste so she would outrun one while Eren, Dorn and Minsc finished a horror rather quickly, and then the second. 
Next up where the traps. I peeked through my potion bag and found a potion of magic immunity up till lvl 5. Dorn gulped it and walked through all the traps towards Daevaeorn. Right then and there I saw the power of this potion because he actually didnt take a single damage. Neither did the mages follow up acid arrow sequencer, chaos, horror and fireballs do anything to him. I was so happy I got overconfident...

Soon enough the potion wore out and soon enough elite bandits with ice arrows dropped in and started shooting my team. I moved my team towards the middle of the maze and Dorn started chasing Daevaeorn who showed smart AI by walking around shooting my weakest characters and staying out of the line of fire. Then disaster, he had a sunfire up his sleeve killing my new fighter/cleric dwarf and Minsc. An elite shot Branwen leaving Eren, Dynaheir and Dorn. Dorn was hacked to pieces by 5 bandits and Dynaheir got nabbed by a blade of a freaking regular bandit dealing like 13 damage, killing her as well. Here I was, Eren the Unbroken, very much alone against about 10 bandits and elites and injured daevaeorn because of a fireball from Dynaheir and a bullet from Eren, but stoneskinned and mirrorimaged again. 
I charged Daevaeorn who was out of spells and who luckely charged me along with his men. I panicked and threw everything I had at them, including 2 potions of firebreath dealing only minor damage because of protection from fire. I gulped potions of healing and potions of heroism like ale.
After what seemed like ages and getting wounded severily Eren finally got through images and stoneskins and crushed the mage with 2 hits. 

Schermafdruk%202015-03-16%2014.41.47_zps

I had to stuff everything in a chest before taking only what was necessarry and resurrected my fellows. Went back looted the place, sold some and went for Baldurs gate.
There Eren and Dorn had a run-in with some minor demons, a mid level mage and cleric and a Blackguard from Dorn's quest. I forgot to take screenshots because I was shocked they threw demons at me. Luckely they were only minor servants of some lord and although they had aura of fear Eren and Minsc's berserk foiled that while dynaheir shot the mage and cleric with fireballs. They died quickly enough and Dorn slew his Blackguard foe. The blackguard (btw they pronounce blackguard like 'blaggard' in the game, very annoying...) managed to drain his life 2 times and dorn drained back, which was cool to see.  

We got Albruin from that but nobody could wield bastard swords so we sold it, bought some arrows of acid and dispelling and the cursed ring of Kazgoroth giving it to Dorn who already has low constitution so isnt hurt by its drain. 

We took on some quests and got a nasty run in with mages at the sorcerous sundries... getting two of us killed. After reviving:

Schermafdruk%202015-03-16%2016.09.56_zps

This is Eren now. Massive hp, I had luck with his rolls IWD style :)

Schermafdruk%202015-03-16%2016.13.22_zps

I feel Im playing way too risky, to be honoust I dont even know whats coming because of SCS, I have to remember to play well rested and not get too confident. On the other hand, living dangerously but still prevail is so satisfying. Dying is horrifying though...

Next up is Baldurs gate. 

Cheers!

• Dyara likes this

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

@Everyone - thanks for the congratulations! The mages were hard in the beginning, but became a lot easier once the all hit level 5.

@Serg - that's a funny way to put the crew's coming exploits in Amn

@Blackraven - I know I can buy back wands, but I usually don't have the cash for that. Don't forget I will be spending a ton of cash on spells, I'd be surprised if I had any left-over for wands.

@Aasim - yeah, Ruzzel indeed seemed like a child of Bhaal with all the dead in the temple...

@Golden28 - your party has been taking a beating according to your screenshots - perhaps you should take better care of them?

• Golden28 likes this

Blackraven

Blackraven
  • Members
  • 1,377 posts

@Golden28, congrats on beating Davaeorn. I'm surprised there were no AoE debilitators there. In my setup Davaeorn's spells and traps include Web, Stinking Cloud and Teleport Field. My advice for future reference would be to cast a green scroll of PfMagic on a warrior and make the other party members go invisible. The warrior should be able to solo the encounter without too much difficulty, especially if you have potions of defense, speed, healing).

• Golden28 likes this

Golden28

Golden28
  • Members
  • 277 posts

@ Corey

Yeah I should take better care of them hehe... At least none of them got chunked yet which is amazing as any +10 damage over the lifetotal chunks in my game. 

Thanks Blackraven. Yeah he did have those but Dorn took a potion that made him immune to spells below lvl 5, so all the spells and traps did nothing and then I waited them out. 

Ill do more writeups later / in the next few days :).

Cheers!

• Blackraven likes this

Aasim

Aasim
  • Members
  • 1,361 posts

Entering the challenge, Khale

1_zpsevfrp2mp.jpg

Weidu:

Spoiler

As so far, he's done nothing, but has a dirty mind and will kill Shoal. Game plan - take Edwin and Viccy. Come SoA, Mazzy & Nalia. Come ToB, Sarevok. 

He's to be played (in BG2, not BG1) as a punch bucket, who will strike whoever hits him with a bucketload of damage. I did some (a lot!) testing with this kind of character build and never really survived SoA - but this guy has a Minotaur's head on his back. 

Should be fun. :P

• Golden28 likes this

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Best of luck Aasim! Let's see if Khale can follow Ruzzel and Sage into Amn...

• Blackraven likes this

Blackraven

Blackraven
  • Members
  • 1,377 posts

Good luck Aasim.

Interesting stats. I seem to vaguely recall one of your mods being responsible for that.
The good thing is Khale will laugh off any Comets thrown at him. :)

Aasim

Aasim
  • Members
  • 1,361 posts

Thank you, we'll see.

As per stats:

~VIC.TP2~ #0 #0 // Victor's Improved Races: v2.0

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

Good luck with Khale, Aasim.

Best,

A.

Golden28

Golden28
  • Members
  • 277 posts
Update 4: Eren the Unbroken, Berserker(/Cleric bg2)

We take on lots of quests this episode but finish but a few. There is just so much to this city, amazing! 
This gang challenged me while we were being backed by another party, effectively 10 vs 5.. quite foolish!.. They died..
Schermafdruk%202015-03-18%2011.56.55_zps

Nice place, would love to own this in RL. Was temped by the 2 girls inside, they attacked me! Paralyzed the mage and thats that.. Ogre gauntlets WUT?? Nobody can even use these as they all have huge strength already (Eren, Dorn, Minsc) :P
Schermafdruk%202015-03-18%2012.18.40_zps

Took Tiax with me for funs and thieving ('here, ogre gauntlets for you, you little runt..'). Did the poison quest.
Schermafdruk%202015-03-18%2014.44.59_zps

Random paladin attacking us because 'he senses our evil'.. Very stupid :S? 
Schermafdruk%202015-03-18%2015.46.45_zps

Our rep drops so we buy our way back into heaven :D.
Schermafdruk%202015-03-18%2015.50.43_zps

Thieves betray us a bit.. doesnt matter: Eren will get back at this guild one day..
Schermafdruk%202015-03-18%2013.31.54_zps

Cheers!

• Aasim, Blackraven and Dyara like this

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

@Golden28 - unless you got a mod that changes this, the Ogre Gauntlets do help Minsc - he is 18/93 and can carry 320 pounds, but with the gauntlets he could then carry 400 pounds, as well as helping his Thac0/damage I think.

• Blackraven and Golden28 like this

Golden28

Golden28
  • Members
  • 277 posts

@ Corey,

Yes I know but the difference is minimal, compared to like, a warrior having 16 or 17 strength getting the gauntlets. Minsc nou wears bracers of archery or bracers of dexterity depending on ranged or berserker melee combat.

Cheers!

Aasim

Aasim
  • Members
  • 1,361 posts

Khale, 1st update in BG1

Rather powergaming here, but I don't really want to waste time in BG1. :D

Killing Shoal was fruitful and netted him two levels (+24HP).

2_zps3zvz3guy.jpg

Next, he meets a skeleton, takes his head, tries to save Melicamp, fails. To Beregost. Helped the evil bardess for three Defense potions.

3_zpsciabnddb.jpg

Did spiders and Marl, returned the book. Gained level 4 killing the spiders (14HP). FAI, return Joia's ring, identify ring, sell ring at High Hedge. Buy potions (a lot!) from FAI tempe. Back to High Hedge, buy Pro Acid scroll and go kill ankhegs. Stroke of bad luck had him hit critically hit. Twice. :(

5_zps5frke4ti.jpg

Still, his HP is enough to withstand that. Slaying some more gave him level 5 (+10HP) and a broken weapon, yey!

6_zpsts2mllng.jpg

killed the rest of Ankhegs, didn't yet return the bowl to priestess (she uses Hold, which would very likely kill Khale). Instead, he travels to Ulgoths, uses Potion of Strenght to bash the lock, equip himself with a magical sword and kills Dushai. Instagib - villagers seem to still be friendly.

7_zpsmosggyyu.jpg

Go back to Beregost, buy Helmet of Charm (BG1 Unfinished Business puts it in an inn), buy Pro Poison scroll from High Hedge, kill sirens near lighthouse. Potion of Defense added in for good measure. He's out of them now. Expired just as the last golem was slain.

8_zpsj0pb1cdw.jpg

I ended the session by killing Vampiric Wolves near Beregost temple, and now basilisks should be slain, and Viconia + Edwin will be joining Khale.

• Dyara and Golden28 like this

Golden28

Golden28
  • Members
  • 277 posts
Update 5: Eren the Unbroken, Berserker(/Cleric bg2)

Another quick update. Mopped up some quests outside of Baldurs Gate..
Schermafdruk%202015-03-18%2014.22.40_zps

Dorn being Dorn. I like him, even though he is a right evil bastard :).. His new portrait is amazing.
Schermafdruk%202015-03-18%2014.25.22_zps

Taking a go at Durlags tower for the tome and some easy XP. 
Schermafdruk%202015-03-18%2013.39.20_zps

Schermafdruk%202015-03-18%2014.08.20_zps

The demoness charming us gave Eren some trouble.. And what can I do with her hair, you guys know?
Schermafdruk%202015-03-18%2013.56.18_zps

Forgot to flood the mine so did that.
Schermafdruk%202015-03-18%2014.29.19_zps

Yes.. some people died because of that lightning bolt (captain Swarmi facepalm)..

Next will be the eight :D Cheers!

• Dyara likes this

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

@Golden28: If you killed the trapped person in the Tower, then you don't do anything with the hair. However, when she tells you she wants you to stay forever, if you say what if I get you some one else? Then you give it to the thief downstairs and come back to the trapped (nymph? I forget what she is...) and she escapes and you get 4000 experience.

• Golden28 likes this