Photo

Baldur's Gate 1 No-Reload Challenge

• Please log in to reply
16394 replies to this topic

Blind_Visionary

Blind_Visionary
  • Members
  • 462 posts

Entering Jonas, an elven cleric-thief, and follower of Tymora, goddess of luck. "One should be bold, for to be bold is to live. A brave heart and willingness to take risks beat out carefully wrought plans nine times out of ten."

With that approach, he's probably not going to meet Arcadia...

2015-03-21_00002_zpscjarnpxj.jpg

• Alesia_BH, Charlestonian Knight Templar and Blackraven like this

Blind_Visionary

Blind_Visionary
  • Members
  • 462 posts

And in fact.... a willingness to take risks is not in the best interest of a no-reload character. Jonas inadvertantly walked into Sendai... and found his chest full of arrows. And that was that.

Blind_Visionary

Blind_Visionary
  • Members
  • 462 posts

Kathryn (a neutral evil mage-thief) decided that Winthrop really didn't have much of a sense of humor. After she killed him in cold blood, Gorion didn't look kindly upon her and her run ended at his hands on the steps of Candlekeep. Next up is...

Charlestonian Knight Templar

• Members
  • 981 posts

Kathryn (a neutral evil mage-thief) decided that Winthrop really didn't have much of a sense of humor. After she killed him in cold blood, Gorion didn't look kindly upon her and her run ended at his hands on the steps of Candlekeep. Next up is...

And in fact.... a willingness to take risks is not in the best interest of a no-reload character. Jonas inadvertantly walked into Sendai... and found his chest full of arrows. And that was that.

Careful B_V: That's only 37 minutes apart. :(

• Blind_Visionary likes this

Blackraven

Blackraven
  • Members
  • 1,377 posts

Ouch Blind_Visionary, why not roll a wise and intelligent Charname that knows to pick their fights?

Below an update on Euphonia, in a format I don't really like. Golden28 asked me to paste screenshots into my posts, but there were simply too many, hence the spoiler tags (and, in order for those spoiler tags to work, the absence of paragraphs). I'll try to make shorter updates...

Euphonia, Half-Elven Skald (2nd update)

Up north the girls helped farmer Wenric reclaim his land from Zombies, which made Euph obtain level 4 and gain her first level 2 spell. She successfully copied Invisibility into her spellbook, and used that spell for a heist together with Imo. In the Lighthouse Area, Euphonia cast Invisibility on Imoen, after which the two girls rested. The next day, Euphonia cast invisibility on herself, and with her best friend (who was still invisible herself) she snuck past groups of Sirines and entered Black Alaric's cave. There, Imoen disarmed four traps, and blocked a narrow path so that Euphonia could take down hostile Golems with her returning Frost Dart +1.

Spoiler
Euph then took the Pirate Lord's treasue and rested behind Imoen on the narrow path. Several Golems interrupted the Bard before she managed to rememorize Invisibility, but the creatures couldn't touch her. They all fell to her darts (providing the girls with some nice extra XP).

The rogues then traveled eastward toward Mutamin's garden, with a scroll of PfPetrification they had bought at the Nashkel Carnival. Euphonia told Imoen to stay back, protected herself with the scroll, and with Fluister she went Basilisk hunting. Fluister's immunity to petrification was reeally helpful in keeping the Basilisks busy, so that Euph didn't have to run around all the time to create space for ranged attacks. Thus the real threat weren't the Basilisks but Mutamin. Euphonia decided to test the Wand of Paralyzation on the Gnome; it worked like a charm. With some moving around she managed to slay Mutamin with her dart, and after that, her last two Basilisks.

Spoiler
The girls reached level 6 in Mutamin's garden, which was convenient in that any recruits would join the party at their highest possible levels.

The girls welcomed two new members into their ranks: Ajantis, a Cavalier squire, joined north of the FAI, and at the Nashkel Carnival Branwen, a Battleguard of Tempus, was depetrified and recruited. Ajantis received a Helm of Infravision (Neira) and a Cloak of Protection +1 (stolen by Imoen from Wenric's home). Branwen was given a Helm of Charm Protection (bought at Feldepost's) and a suit of Ankheg armor the girls had found in Nashkel. The party of four's first feat was to dispatch Bassilus. Branwen immediately proved her worth in that encounter, by Silencing the priest, allowing an easy kill.

Spoiler
In the same area, Zargal & co were slain. All in all the party's exploration of the Red Canyons turned out to be a profitable undertaking. Bassilus' Ashideena became Branwen's weapon of choice, and Zargal's Whistling Sword went to Imoen.

The party's next adventures took place in the Cloudpeaks, where Sendai, Alexander and Delgod made the mistake of attacking the party,

Spoiler
just like Vax and Zal.
Spoiler
(The Bracers of Archery went to Imoen.) Albert and Rufie were reunited, a Dryad of the Cloudpeaks convinced the party to protect her tree, Euphonia defeated Ludrug in single combat, Drienne found her dead cat thanks to the adventurers, and no orders were taken from Ingot, the lowly Gnoll.

Further west the party dealt with Half-Ogres, Gnolls and Xvarts, resulting in the acquisition of Gauntlets of Dexterity (for Ajantis) and a Charisma tome. The adventurers cleared a Gnoll Stronghold to rescue a female wizard named Dynaheir.

Spoiler
The lady was safely brought to Nashkel where she reunited with her lost friend Minsc, after she had helped the party defeat a bounty hunter near the Nashkel Mines.
Spoiler
The bounty hunter's blade, Varscona, became Ajantis' weapon of choice. The the party sold much of their loot to purchase a suit of full plate mail for Ajantis, the Greenstone Amulet for Euphonia, and a Cloak of Displacement which would end up on the back of a new companion: Kivan (unkitted Ranger). The latter also received a suit of Studded Leather +2 (Sendai) and the Sword of Rage (two-handed sword +3 with 1/day rage ability, as enchanted by Thalantyr per the Thalantyr Item Upgrade mod).

During his first adventure with the party, on the northern Sword Coast, Kivan was interrupted by Jozzi Seasnake, just when the quintet was busy killing Droth the Ogre Mage (after an effective Stinking Cloud cast by Euphonia).

Spoiler
They were spirited away to a shipwreck, where they faced three Sahuagin and two Carrion Crawlers. This was not an easily manageable battle, as Ajantis and Kivan's paralyzation by the Crawlers demonstrated. Euphonia expended a charge of the Wand of Paralyzation on one of the Crawlers.
Spoiler
With her comrades she then slew the other Carrion Crawler, and after that, the parayzed one.
Spoiler
When all three Sahuagin were slain, the party was rewarded with a really nice weapon, a returning Throwing Dagger +2. It can even be argued that the weapon, added by the BG1 NPC Project mod, is overpowered if you look at the damage it does:
Spoiler
Inspired by Euph's battlesong, Branwen and Ajantis did a fairly good job at meleeing a band of Ogres that roamed the north coast,
Spoiler
before the party ran into Droth again. Euphonia's LMDs frustrated the creature's casting, and and arrow from Kivan's bow killed it.
Spoiler
Droth's Helmet of Defense went to Kivan.

In the Wilderness Lake area the party slew four Half-Ogres (which would yield Branwen a Medium Shield +1 from Bjornin),

Spoiler
and they had a dust with Teyngan & co.
Spoiler
Teyngan was brought down with overwhelming physical force, while Jemby the Mage spent a Sleep spell on a pack of Wild Dogs that Kivan had charmed.
Spoiler
The party followed up with an assault on Jemby, limiting her role to blinding Ajantis before she fell.
Spoiler
They helped Drizzt against a pack of Gnolls, and then traveled north to the farmland south of Wyrm's Crossing where they helped a Ranger contain an Ankheg plague,
Spoiler
and reunited a farmer with his (unfortunately dead) son. (I forgot to complete Tenya's quest, so she'll have to wait for her bowl.)

Next on the menu were the Nashkel Mines. The opposition on the third level was overwhelming, especially on the bridge,

Spoiler
but thanks in part to Euphonia's song the party never lost their esprit de corps. There was one straitened moment, near the exit the final level. Branwen got slowed by a Kobold Shaman, and then repeatedly poisoned by the Kobold Chieftain's arrows. She was at 3 or 4 HPs with a turbid aura, and only survived thanks to Ajantis' Lay on Hands ability and to a Save vs Death.
Spoiler
Thankfully Kivan finished the creature off before it could do any more harm.
Spoiler
At the fourth and final level, things went a lot smoother. The party retreated from the den of Mulahey when the latter summoned Skeletons and Kobolds to his side. The only one to follow them outside was Mulahey himself. He didn't survive the onslaught that awaited him there.
Spoiler
Back inside Branwen turned undead, while the others dealt with the Kobolds.
Spoiler
When all opposition was dispatched, the party looted Mulahey's treasure chest and released Xan, a Fighter/Enchanter that had been Mulahey's prisoner for some time. The party accepted Xan's proposal to join them and outfitted him with Mutamin's Adventurer's Robe, Bracers of AC8, a wand or two, the returning Throwing Dagger +2, and his own Moonblade.

Back on the surface, in the Valley of the Tombs, the party antagonized Narcillicus, summoner of slimes and jellies. He charmed Imoen before Branwen dispelled his buffs (but not the Charm effect on Imoen).

Spoiler
The companions then slew the wizard and (in melee combat) his slimes.
Spoiler
They also had unfriendly dealings with undead creatures that inhabited the area. Skeletons, Ghasts (one of which managed to hold Kivan), and a Revenant all suffered the party's righteous fury.
Spoiler
In Nashkel Branwen's silence facilitated the killing of Zordral at the Carnival, and Euph's Wand of Paralyzation made dealing with Nimbul a formality.
Spoiler
In Beregost, Branwen had her revenge on Tranzig.
Spoiler
When they left the Thunderhammer Smithy, the companions were accosted by Lamalha and her friends. The bounty hunting amazons seemed particularly unfond of Imoen. An Unholy Blight followed by a vicious backstab would have surely killed her if she hadn't healed herself with a potion before receiving the backstab.
Spoiler
She fled inside hoping that her companions would be able to handle their foes. Ajantis, Branwen and Kivan, and Euphonia occupied themselves with the priestesses to keep them from casting more spells; Xan had to cast a Mirror Image when he saw one of the backstabbers approach him.
Spoiler
More alarmingly the other backstabber entered the smithy. It prompted the entire party to get back inside as well. The other amazons followed. With an LMD Euphonia averted another Unholy Blight,
Spoiler
but she could not prevent the priestesses from Holding both Xan and Ajantis. Kivan tried to activate his sword's Rage ability, but that took too long; fortunately he saved vs spell.
Spoiler
Branwen slew Lamalha right after that, but the other priestess, Zeela, somehow managed to Hold Imoen, and forced Euphonia and Kivan into saving vs spell, before Euphonia paralyzed her with her wand. (This was unexpected. I had thought the wand would be faster.)
Spoiler
Zeela, and the rogues Maneira and Telka, were then slain by Branwen, Kivan, and Euphonia, with Kivan getting the kill on each of them.
Spoiler

• Alesia_BH, Serg BlackStrider, Charlestonian Knight Templar and 3 others like this

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

This should be a meme

G12M0Wf.jpg

or it could be

61dF4Pb.jpg

:P

• Blind_Visionary, Blackraven, CrevsDaak and 1 other like this

Blackraven

Blackraven
  • Members
  • 1,377 posts

^^  :D 

Thankfully there's also some good news. Not going to give anything away though...  :)

• Alesia_BH likes this

Nishiki

Nishiki
  • Members
  • 19 posts

It was almost an ordinary day inside Candlekeep; almost ordinary except for my dad, Gorion telling me that we were leaving tonight.  Leaving why, I asked; his answer was brief: Candlekeep was no longer a sanctuary for us.  A sanctuary from what?  He wouldn't say, though he did give me a handful of gold and tell me to buy whatever necessities I might need for an extended journey.

My head was swimming with unanswered questions as I entered the Inn and made some purchases from Winthrop.  A bunch of darts, a short sword to give to my friend, Imoen, as a parting gift (I'd 'accidentally' broken hers a few days back while using it to pry open a bottle of cherries) and a suit of studded leather she'd been drooling over for a month or more.

My shopping done, I made my way around the bailey, saying my goodbyes and tying up a few loose ends here and there, like finding Phylidia's book (she's so absent minded she'd forget her head if it weren't screwed tight) and smashing rats for the grumpy old dwarf who's name I can never remember.  Along the way, I ran into Drepen (the fine hunk of man flesh that he is) and gave him a potion to feed to his sick cow (you know, I'm almost ready to believe the rumors that have been flying around about him and that cow...).  I bumped into the warden as well, delivered a bunch of bolts to him in exchange for (what he called) a magic dagger (and if it really did kill a hobo with one blow, then I'm more than happy to have it, no matter if it looks old and beat up).

The thought crossed my mind to say farewell to the priest, and so went to his quarters.  As soon as I stepped through the door, a figure lunged from the shadows; a bright glimmer from his hand told me that he was armed.  Instinctively, I shouted the words for a blindness spell, happily it took hold before my would be assassin could skewer me.  Half of me wanted to get the heck out of there, the other half was furious that this buffoon, who was now flailing wildly at the air, had tried to stab me.  That other half won over, so I filled the guy full of darts.

I was more than a little shaken at this turn of events and ran to see Imoen.  She advised me to 'get the (expletive deleted) out of here, quick'.  I agreed, shoved the short sword and armor at her and ran to find Dad.

About halfway across the bailey, a wave of dread washed over me.  I had almost been murdered.  I needed to stop and sit down somewhere in private and maybe have a good cry.  The bunkhouse was nearby, and it was always deserted at that time of day, so I went in and sat down on one of the bunks.  I was about to put my head in my hands and weep when I felt something cold and hard slam into my back.  I lurched off of the bed with a cry of pain and shock as drops of crimson liquid flew.  It was blood.  MY blood.  I screamed, turned to see another shadowy figure standing behind the bed on which I had been sitting just moments before.  He asked how I liked being a stuck pig.  I asked how he liked being a blind (word that's synonymous with donkey).  My second blindness spell took hold and I eagerly filled the turd-burgler with more of my darts.

I was still bleeding when I finally found Dad on the steps of the library.  I fell into his arms and he healed me, told me we were leaving now.  I didn't protest.  I'd nearly been murdered twice.  I wanted to be anywhere else but there.

Dad and I walked until nightfall.  I expected him to make camp, but he did not, saying that we needed to get to shelter before they could catch up to us.  They who?  He wouldn't tell me, only said that he'd explain once we were in a safe place.

Just as he answered, I caught sight of a group of figures on the road ahead.  Dad told me to run.  I argued, said I could help.  I believed my words right up to the point that an arrow of fire scorched it's way into my flesh.  Then, I ran, not even paying attention to where I was going.  I ran until daybreak.

Imoen found me lost and alone on the road, sitting on a stump and weeping silently.  I was only slightly surprised to see her, we'd been nearly inseparable friends for a decade or more.  She tried to reassure me that there was no way Dad could have been killed by a bunch of low grade crooks; her words gave me some relief, enough to wander back to the north to see what had become of Dad and his attackers.

We found his hacked remains sprawled in the middle of a clearing.

It was a while before I was ready to move on.  Gorion had been the only father I had known, and now he was dead, butchered like a common dog.  Imoen and I buried him in a shallow grave, then set out, our destination the Friendly Arm Inn.

After about five minutes of travel, we saw a pair of figures approaching us on the road.  I was fearful that the assassins from the last night had returned to finish the job, at least until I noticed that both of the people approaching were women, and that one was a gnome and the other a half orc.  The details of the people who had jumped us were fuzzy in my head, but I was certain that there hadn't been either a gnome or a half orc amongst them.

The gnome (who seemed to be the leader of the pair) hailed us in a friendly fashion; Imoen and I made our way over to her.  She said her name was Shealyn and introduced her half orc companion as Vanja.  Shealyn asked where we were headed; she looked me over as I told her our destination, and after she asked if we were in any trouble.  I nodded meekly, then broke down in tears.  We camped there on the road that night as I told Shea and Vanja my story.

Once I had finished, Vanja's heavy, but gentle hand came to rest on my shoulder.  Her voice was hard as she told me that she and Shea were going to join us.  The fools who had killed my father were going to pay dearly for what they had done.  Shea nodded in agreement.  Imoen was more than happy to have the friendly duo join us, and in truth, so was I.

XXX

Isa takes up the no reload challenge.

First, the mod list:

Spoiler

Isa, female elf sorcerer.

Proficenfies: Dart *

Spells Known: Blind, Shield

Hates: Evil people, evil monsters, evil bloodsucking insects, evil innkeepers who water their wine.

vtf4Cm.png

Shealyn (Shea), female gnome cleric/thief

Proficiencies: Quarterstaff *, Sling *

Skills: Find Traps 40, Set Traps 30

Likes: Garl Glittergold, long walks through moonlit alleyways, Vanja, 'Borrowing' stuff from strangers.

Hates: Being called a treasure hunter; she's a thief, dammit.

rD3SYJ.png

Vanja (Pronunced "Vanya"), female half orc berzerker

Proficencies: Longsword *, Mace *, Longbow *, Two Weapon Fighting *

Likes: The collected works of Volocamp Geddarm, sweet tea, spicy omletes, making things go *chunk*.

Hates: Spiders, people who think she's a stupid wall of flesh.

dKZFJq.png

• Serg BlackStrider, Charlestonian Knight Templar, CrevsDaak and 1 other like this

• Members
  • 981 posts

It was time to try & bring this thing to a conclusion & I was ready to go for the jugular, no matter what lay ahead.  Leaving Ulgoth’s Beard behind, I led us to Wyrm’s Crossing before having Quayle cast Invisibility 10’ Radius on all of us so that we could move thru BG undetected. After a visit to Sorcerous Sundries & a rest after the journey from UB, my next stop was back to the Flaming Fist Headquarters. Using Invisibility 10’ Radius we went directly in, past the FFs that were milling around & upstairs where we found Duke Eltan lying ill in bed being treated by some guy I’d never seen. I had Branwen, still invisible, try to cast Cure Disease on the Duke. When she did, the man who’d been treating him became a Greater Doppelganger & died his trouble. At the Dukes request, we secreted him to the Harbormaster who took him into his care.

The Duke gave us damning documents that laid out Sarevok’s true intentions & told us to find the assassin’s Slythe & Kristen in the Undercellars. Not knowing where these were, we took a shot that we’d find them in the sewers. Sure enough, we wound around in them until we finally walked right into a thriving brothel. We were invisible, as usual, so we were able to scout the entire place w/o notice but we noticed Slythe although we didn’t see Kristen.  I finally decided to reveal myself to Slythe which brought Kristen out of her own invisibility. As soon as Slythe reacted we pummeled him. Kristen put up a better fight than her husband but Imoen’s Magic Missiles & Arrows of Biting & Branwen Dispel Magic allowed us to get to her & take her out.  She’d gotten off a Cloudkill spell but before it had much affect Branwen countered w/ Zone of Sweet Air.  

1c01023aee63a8e1c980d61db6c38f.jpg
BATTLE IN THE UNDERCELLAR

With invitations to the coronation of Sarevok as a new Duke, in place of Entar Silvershield who’d been assassinated by Slythe & Kristen, I led us to the Ducal Palace the following day.  I planned to expose Sarevok for who he really is & what he intends using the documents provided by Duke Eltan.  Only one of us, Imoen approached the guard & presented our invitations, the rest being invisible. Once we went inside, Imoen used her innate Invisibility so that we could move around undetected. The ceremony began & then an argument broke out between Duke Belt & Sarevok when Sarevok immediately overstepped him bounds. Suddenly, ~ eight Greater Doppelgangers shape changed from what had appeared to be nobles, aslo there for the coronation. Duke Belt, Duchess Liia & about 12 Flaming Fist Mercenaries, joined us in destroying the Greater Doppelganger’s before suddenly, @ the death of the last, Sarevok lost his temper & it was on. Unfortunately, he was teleported out before we could finish him. 

f30cd5305181ce7c6eeb3ff92b34c0.jpg
BATTLE IN THE DUCAL PALACE

Duke Belt knew where Sarevok would go & he aided us in chasing him by teleporting us to his trail. We ended up in the local Thieves’ Guild (not Imoen’s type, Charming Rogue’s, but just a motley crew of thieves). We spoke to one of them, who told us that Sarevok had just torn thru & headed into the Thieves’ Maze. Wasting no time, we took off after him but were far behind & had to fight thru two Green Slimes, two Mustard Jelly’s, two Ochre Jellies, two Grey Ooze; two Doom Guards; three Skeleton Warriors; a Battle Horror & a Skeleton Warrior before we found where Sarevok had exited the maze. His mentor, now cast aside, lay wounded at the door he escaped thru. Winski, by name, told me of my relationship to Sarevok & laid out his plans for me. We left Winski alive & headed down to a city beneath the city, aptly named The Undercity.  We patrolled the entire place, quickly finding the building that had to be where Sarevok was holed up. The gig was up & he had nowhere to go. As we performed our reconnaissance, we ran across & killed, 16 Ghasts; 10 Skeleton’s w/Composite Longbows; three Ghouls; six Skeleton’s w/Mace & Buckler; six Skeleton’s w/Warhammer & Buckler; four Skelton Warriors, three w/Two-Handed Swords, one w/Composite Longbow & Arrows of Ice. During this last battle, Ajantis was killed by the last one standing & Branwen cast Raise Dead on him, then we healed him the best we could. Wounded, we wanted to rest in place but I knew we’d be better off closer to the exit where we’d come in just in case something attacked our weakened group while resting (Note: I knew I was walking us into a tough fight, all wounded, but what I did is what I would have done normally, so I’d be using foreknowledge to save myself if I rested elsewhere – I always rest where we can get off the map if necessary). So we headed that way & we came across Iron Throne Assassin’s who’d been sent for Sarevok but decided to try us on first. There were two warriors in Plate Mail; a Rogue type; an Ogre & two Mages. One of them, was shooting Arrows of Detonation & w/the explosion, he took out Quail & a still weakened Ajantis.  After that, we won the battle relatively easily with help from Branwen’s Silence 10’ Radius & Dispel Magic spells reducing the threat of the two mages.  Once the battle was over, we collected up our fallen comrades’ equipment & headed back to the city to rest & allow Branwen to cast Raise Dead on them. On the way, a warrior named Tamako approached us as we passed Sorcerous Sundries (w/o Quayle we weren’t invisible – Imoen has Invisibility 10’ Radius but had already used it so we walked exposed). Tamako wanted to tell us something but wouldn’t spill the beans just yet, inviting me to meet her later @ the FF HQs. After Branwen’s had done her work & we’d rested, I headed there & talked w/her while everyone else stood near, invisible. Evidently she was Sarevok’s lover & wanted to rescue him from his mad desire to become the God of Murder & make him ‘Sarevok the man’, so she could love him & care for him. She wanted me to promise not to kill him & I said I’d do my best. 

120bab5bc1452fac5c5a880fb83d86.jpg
QUAYLE & BRANWEN BICKERING - QUAYLE WINS THIS ROUND

7eb55c3a4139b8167846348838eca3.jpg
WHATEVER HAPPENED, I KNEW THIS WAS GOODBYE

After that, I wasted no time getting back to the Thieves’ Maze & back to the Undercity where we finished our reconnaissance external to the building killing six more Skeleton’s w/Warhammer & Buckler & three Ghouls before we ran into Tamako again…but she was hostile this time. We killed her easily. 

Key Event: It was time to attack the Temple of Bhaal as it turned out to be.  We rested nearby, & then prepared for our assault. Knowing what I thought lay beyond the door we prepared best we could, exactly like we did when we killed the Demon Knight. Spells, potions, innate abilities, whatever we had that could aid each other or ourselves we tried to don before we entered. Unfortunately, we pussyfooted around & lost some of our protections before the battle ever began. Imoen, invisible, as were we all, slipped around to the left to see what lay ahead but she wasn’t focusing on traps & set off a Lightning Bolt that hurt her pretty badly. She then backed off & started focusing on traps but even w/her skill, she couldn’t Remove Traps on a bunch of them that were spread around a huge Symbol of Bhaal that was in the center of the room. Imoen, went forward again, invisible & still injured. She made eye contact w/ Saravok & he could obviously Detect Invisibility b/c he called her out. She responded by firing an Arrow of Piercing that missed but the fight was on. Sarevok called to Angelo, Tazok & (someone else)” & suddenly it was a little warm in there – really.  One of them cast Web & another Cloudkill but all of us, except Quayle, got away. Quayle was injured & fell unconscious. I decided to fight my half-brother & I asked Minsc to go after the mages in the Web w/Spider’s Bane. Branwen managed to cast Dispel magic & Silence 15’ Radius, I think but I was focused on Sarevok & next I noticed she, Imoen, Quayle & Ajantis were all so badly wounded they’d slipped into unconscious from loss of blood. It was up to Minsk & I to finish the deal. I was landing solid blows against Sarevok while he wasn’t able to reciprocate.  Our biggest problem was that there was, I guess, a Warrior/Mage that was protected in a spell & firing Arrows of Detonation & another kind that I thought was electricity based as it looked like Minsc was getting hit by Lightning Bolts but they didn’t to bounce around after…luckily w/his Boots of Grounding, Minsc is very resistant to lightning. I’m pretty much resistant to fire w/my Ring of Protection from Fire & Helm of Defense. I kept overpowering Sarevok & had landed four or five solid blows & he was weakening slowly but surely. Minsc separated from the fight a bit to quaff Potions of Healing, & while successful, he also woke up a Battle Horror in the corner. After healing a bit, he avoided the Battle Horror & came back over to aid in the main fight. He still couldn’t land much on the Warrior/Mage so I hollered @ him to help me w/Sarevok. Tazok was standing beside me but couldn’t land a blade on me which allowed me to continue all my focus on Sarevok. Minsc & I pounded away & finally killed Sarevok!!! As soon as we did Tazok headed for the door & when I looked up the Warrior/Mage & his cohort were dead too. We offed the Battle Horror, collected everything from our fallen that Minsc & I could carry & headed back to the city to Raise Branwen so she could Raise the others, which she did. 

7099251d9221ba14b917a613993a60.jpg
FINAL BATTLE WITH SAREVOK

1cbeb286d59fa1733e72848a73585e.jpg
FINISHING THE LAST ENEMY, A BATTLE HORROR

This will be my last journal for a while.  Imoen & I are headed south to Athkatla & I Minsc is going to join us rather than return to Rasheman. Ajantis will travel w/us too, as he to go back to The Order of the Radiant Heart to report completion of his mission to prove himself as a Paladin by defeating the Bandit’s in & around Baldur’s Gate. He did a whole lot more than that. Quayle, I think, is going to Athkatla also but I don’t expect him to stay with us once we get there. He says he has a niece there that he needs to spend some time with. Funny, that doesn’t seem like him @ all but family changes us & he obviously misses her. Sadly, Branwen decided, not unexpectedly, to return to her home of Seawolf in the Norheim Isles. I’ll miss my former lover & battle partner. 

Treasure of Note: (Final Purse = 6,293 gold) Armor/Weapons: Short Sword of Backstabbing (Imoen); Helm of Charm Protection (Ajantis); Full Plate Armor (Ajantis); Gems/Jewelry/Gold: Black Opal; Potions: Scrolls: Cone of Cold, Fireball

Current Disposition Resting, one last time, at out little inn in S BG.

Next Steps:   Travel to Amn, to Athkatla & take some time to recuperate.  We’ve been on the road over a year since I left Baldur’s Gate w/Gorion. 

Level Up: As the final blow fell on Sarevok, Minsc suddenly & clearly improved himself to a whole other level as a Barbarian (9).  

abf2e8cb5b350d1c2b5b5c645c8074.jpg
MINSC FINAL RECORD AFTER ADVANCEMENT

Current Party: (Reputation: 20 – Heroic)

·         Gawain: Ftr/9; HP105; Full Plate w/Large Shield +2, Cloak of Protection +2, Helm of Defense, Boots of Grounding, Girdle of Bluntness, Rings of Fire Resistance & Free Action; Sword of Balduran; Bastard Sword +1/+3****, Mace +2, (SSS**) (Sarevok)

5c3defcf380a8372932bc4f7fce470.jpg
SIR GAWAIN FINAL RECORD

83825c11cdd779e6400504d5e66772.jpg
SIR GAWAIN FINAL INVENTORY

·         Imoen: Thief (Charming Rogue/11); HP48; Shadow Armor, Cloak of Non-Detection & Gandolar’s Lucky Ring w/Short Bow*, Short Sword of Backstabbing* Dagger +1*, (Andris)(Thief Def)

·         Minsc: Fighter (Barbarian/9); HP76; Splint Mai w/Boots of Avoidance, Girdle of Bluntness &Spiders Bane***, Flail 1 x x2/THWS**(Spellcaster Defend)(Davaeorn)

ef9605fcc853db1cba7d2523e60e92.jpg
MINSC FINAL INVENTORY

·         Quayle: Mage (Illusionist/9); HP20; Bracers of Defense AC6, Sling* & Dagger +2*, Ring of Energy, Necklace of Missiles, (Chess Queen)(Wizard Defensive)

·         Branwen: Cleric (Priestess of Tempus/9): HP52; Full Plate +1 (Plate of the Dark) w/Large Shield +1, Gauntlet’s of Dexterity, Kiel’s Helmet & Mace +1*; Warhammer*; (SSS*);(Fuernebol)(Cleric Aggressive)

·         Ajantis: Fighter/(Paladin/8); HP47; Full Plate w/Medium Shield, Boots of the North, Helm of Charm Protection & Wolfsbane Amulet; L/Sword +1** x2, Mace** (SSS**)(Sirine Queen) (Paladin )

5bc0587ac3c188020947d7137c3c69.jpg
LEAVING THE TEMPLE OF BHAAL BEHIND

Mods Used: HardTimes-v2; BG1UB_v12; bg1npc-v20; X0black101 (Blackguard); MegaModKits v1.01L; level1npcs-v1.9; bg2_tweaks-v14; Randomizer-v68; scs-v21 (- Tactical Challenges)

Blue Font: New information;

Red Font: Monster encounters (first use)

(Best kill)(Current AI)

* Name Levels are ancient, AD&D titles that used to represent each new level in a class

• Blind_Visionary, Blackraven, CrevsDaak and 1 other like this

• Members
  • 981 posts

FINALLY! After probably four years of trying to a 'completionist no-reload' as Blackraven coined it, I have finally done so. Gawain turned over every stone from the Nashkel Mines north to Ulgoth's beard (including Durlag's Tower, Ice Island & the rough Isle of Balduran) & everything east to west from Gullykin/Firewine's to the Lighthouse.  

I AM SO PUMPED!

• Alesia_BH, Gate70, Serg BlackStrider and 5 others like this

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

Awesome work CKT! Congratulations!

That was a truly outstanding BG1 run. It's has opened my mind to the possibilities of BG1 play. I often find myself rushing through BG1, in the interest of getting to BG2, but with Gawain you've shown just how deep and rich and satisfying BG1 game play can be.

Even if Gawain doesn't continue on to BG2, his run will have a special place in my memory. It gets my vote for best BG1 run in the thread's history. I mean that.

Congratulations again!

Cheers,

A.

• Blackraven and CrevsDaak like this

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

FINALLY! After probably four years of trying to a 'completionist no-reload' as Blackraven coined it, I have finally done so. Gawain turned over every stone from the Nashkel Mines north to Ulgoth's beard (including Durlag's Tower, Ice Island & the rough Isle of Balduran) & everything east to west from Gullykin/Firewine's to the Lighthouse.  

I AM SO PUMPED!

Congratulations CKT! No-reload of TotSC content is no joke (large mass of characters have died in that content), as Alesia says that does make your run stand out.

• CrevsDaak likes this

Aasim

Aasim
  • Members
  • 1,361 posts

Wow, CKT. After so many days, here I am, drinking my coffee and smoking my cigar (remember, I know my priorites! :D ) and what do I see - it's done! Exellent run, grats! Have fun in BG2, whenever you feel like continuing your game.

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts

Congratulation CKT, awesome completionist run.

• CrevsDaak likes this

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,558 posts

Congratulation, CKT! Outstanding run!

• CrevsDaak likes this

Golden28

Golden28
  • Members
  • 277 posts
FINAL BG Update 10: Eren the Unbroken, Berserker(/Cleric bg2).. So what happened?..

Here we go, into the breach my friends! I buffed heavily with everything I had, all potions and spells. It wasnt that much, granted.. haste last. 

I didnt know what to expect from SCS, I did saw that some foes turn into skeletons after, but that was all I knew.. I didnt take much screenshots because of the suspense that was killing me.. 
Dorn walks up to Sarevok with an immunity: level 5 potion. No traps trigger, what the hell? Sarevok comes charging with haste and I knew from a playthrough from Blackraven that I absolutely had to dispel that. So minsc did. Phew. Dorn shoots him with a poisoned bolt, it hits, yay!
In come the dangerous Semaj and Diarmid and the battle is on. Diarmid starts firing rediculously annoying poisonous arrows instead of the expected (and protected against) detonation arrows.. Poor little Tiax got poisoned first but hastely cured with a slow poison from Eren and a big potion of healing (of which we only had 5.. couldnt buy them anywhere!?? It wouldve been SO MUCH easier with those potions).
This is a screenshot right after Tiax Gulped. 
Schermafdruk%202015-03-19%2021.05.39_zps

-I was wondering how the poison did against Sarevok but to my dismay, he was still uninjured! What the hell? But then I remembered I read he cant be touched until his servants are dead.. So I had to go for the servants, all rediculouly OP against my level 7 and 8 team..
-We dispell Semaj and Dorn poisons him. The fucker has high hp though and triggers web + stoneskin + teleporting field.. Luckely I had my men atdifferent positions and Eren and Minsc were Free actioned. I moved my men up away from the field and the web. What the hell another mage?? I forgot Angelo, who then confused poor Branwen.
-Angelo starts going for confused Branwen but almost cant hit her, good, keeps him out of the battle. Out comes INVISIBLE TAZOK, slapping tiax for 30 damage! Tha hell..
-Things are looking grim and I'm sweating like crazy. I knew I had to stop Angelo from using spells so Dorn gulped a big healing potion and tried to poison him through his mirrorimages and fireshield. It worked! No more spells from him.
-In the meantime Dynaheir fired 3 paralyze rays at Semaj but they all failed, GRRR.. Diarmid poisoned here and that was it for her.. No more spells and slowly dying. Eren knew he had to get Diarmid so he went all out against him, finally beating him down while taking heavy damage from Sarevok, who almost seemed to protect this archer.
-To my dismay I hear a cry and saw that Tazok killed Tiax, then went for and slapped Branwen through her -5 AC like it was nothing. Both dead. Half-dead already Dynaheir bites the dust from magic missles after her protection runs out. All this time it felt like we accomplished close to nothing. only good news was Diarmid turned into a harmless skeleton and Angelo was still poisoned from stacking hits from Dorn. Unfortunately Angelo freaking trapped Dorn in a corner, and fireshield actively kills you if youre close, even though you dont attack and are trying to run away! The hell!?
-Minsc takes out the arrows of detonation firing liberally, killing Semaj just in time for him to cast a spell, he literally finished chanting, then died..

This is it.. Minsc and Eren vs army and Angelo in the top gulping potions, recovering.
Schermafdruk%202015-03-19%2021.26.54_zps

Minsc shoots Tazok dead. Eren's crushing skeletons while getting a few swords in the face.. At one point Minsc goes scavenging for potions for Eren because I cant lose him now! Eren gulps and we continue the fight, but now Angelo has us in sight. He casts a spell at Minsc but the ranger gulps a potion that auto-saves against any effect. He dispells Angelo with arrows and Eren trounces him, then his skeleton. Filthy undead minions!
Schermafdruk%202015-03-19%2021.33.30_zps

And now only the easy part, aside from lucky hits from big S.., nothing can go wrong.. right?.. right?..
Schermafdruk%202015-03-19%2021.36.42_zps

He falls.. PHEW!!!
Schermafdruk%202015-03-19%2021.41.08_zps

Only two die-hards standing. I would probably not have made it without loyal Minsc.. and Boo..
Schermafdruk%202015-03-19%2021.46.45_zps

Schermafdruk%202015-03-19%2021.46.42_zps

I was never so nervous, SCS punked me hard with an extra guy and immortal Sarevok, not to mention the upgraded Semaj and Diarmid! Im so happy I made it. 

A little storytelling:

"Eren knew he had fulfilled part of his destiny. He had taken revenge for his fosterfather and had prevented all out war. He looked around.. All these bodies.. His friends almost all dead. His foes all dead. Outside a woman who only loved her man.., dead. Another whole party burned to death. All those nobles death.., replaced by shapeshifters, also dead.. Not to mention the hundreds he killed along the way.. I this the life of an adventurer? Is this the life of a child of Bhaal?.. Eren sighed and looked at Minsc, cradeling Dynaheir. The loyal ranger saved his life that last fight, for sure. If it wasnt for his dispelling arrows and distraction of Sarevok, Eren wouldve been crushed. Then something strange happened. Little Boo snook out of Minsc's armor and scurried up to Eren. Eren took him in his hand and looked at him. The hamster looked back. Eren felt a warm, noble and wise aura permeating from Boo, like he wanted to comfort Eren. "You did well", he seemed to suggest. Minsc quickly grabbed Boo and asked Eren what to do next. Together they took the most important loot and with their great strength and with effort, carried their fallen comrades to a nearby temple. Once all were safe, in the comfort of an inn, paid and hailed by the dukes of Baldurs Gate, they planned their next move. Dorn, having no more foes to slaughter, left the tavern, with one last glance at Eren. Tiax used his part of the money on drinks and luxery things "all the things befitting the new ruler of the world!", he said. After a while he got lost in the brothels of the undercellar. Minsc and Dynaheir accompanied Eren on the road south towards Beregost. Here Eren finally met up with Jaheira and Khalid, who were searching for him all this time, killing bandits and monsters on the road. They became friends. Finally, Eren found out what happened to little Imoen, the girl he left at an inn before starting his adventure. The girl had become quite the adventurer herself, even learned some magic on the way. This girl is something special, Eren thought. Eren, Jaheira and Khalid, his childhood friend Imoen, Dynaheir, Minsc, and of course Boo went on to have more exciting adventures together.."

Amn here Eren comes, you all better watch out! XD

Cheers!

(ps: Im gonna take a little break, Ill be back in a few days or so) ;)

• Charlestonian Knight Templar, Blackraven, CrevsDaak and 1 other like this

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,558 posts

Well done, Golden! Safe travels in Amn.

• Golden28 likes this

Golden28

Golden28
  • Members
  • 277 posts

LOL Minsc is such a hero if you look at the last two succesful bg1 runs!!! :D

• Blackraven likes this

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

Good stuff Golden and particular congratulations to CKT!  Always a nice way to finish as well with dead bodies piled all around as your big size 10s stamp down on Sarevok in triumph :D.

@ B_V why is it that I suddenly feel as though I must be an ultra-cautious type :P.

• Serg BlackStrider, Blackraven and Golden28 like this

Blackraven

Blackraven
  • Members
  • 1,377 posts

CKT I already congratulated you over at the BG Forums on your fantastic performance with Sir Gawain, but once more: hats off to you!
ou told me you would take your knight into SoA as well. I was wondering: have you played any BG2 as of late? If not, will you just barge in with Sir Gawain, or will you first do some testing? In my experience SCS Irenicus Dungeon (without most of your gear) is one tricky dungeon, so please be careful.

Golden28 I'm very glad that I can congratulate you as well! Beating SCS Sarevok and co, without knowing very well what you had to expect, is top-class. My compliments, and best wishes for Eren in Amn!

Nishiki, I had missed your post. Welcome to the forum, and best of luck with your trio!
Nice writing btw, thank you for sharing your tale :)

• Charlestonian Knight Templar and Golden28 like this

Dyara

Dyara
  • Members
  • 330 posts

Congratulations... *takes hat helm off and bows to CKT*

[edit]... and to Golden as well.[/edit]

• Golden28 likes this

Dyara

Dyara
  • Members
  • 330 posts

Dyara, elven Fighter/Mage/Thief - take 12/13 (update 8)

Day 34 (5 Kythorn) - Gullykin

After buying some elixir of health from the temple of Yondella Dyara went north to Muntamin's Garden. Carefully she scouted the area for remaining baslilisks but there were none, just some dead gnolls and the group of Kirian.

Day 35 (6 Kythorn)

Dyara tried to set a snare but failed - twice. Before approaching the group Dyara made a few preparations and summoned some wolves.

Spoiler

Since both Kirian and Dyara were looking for trouble the battle was unavoidable.

Spoiler

As the wolves attacked the group Dyara shot a biting arrow at Kirian poisoning her. Peter got hit as well but avoided the poison.

Spoiler

While the four Waterdhavians tried to fend off the wolves Dyara killed Kirian, Peter and Baerin using arrows of piercing and arrows of fire+2. With only Lindin left Dyara switched to her long sword and ran it through Lindin's body.

Spoiler

Then Dyara looted the dead bodies for anything valuable and headed for Beregost. Again she visited Left for some small talk (and a haircut).

Spoiler

At Feldepost Inn Dyara confronted Tranzig but he didn't wanted to talk - at first and then it was too late.

Spoiler

Dyara had become really fond of the biting arrows so she bought 40 of them at thunderhammer smithy. At the temple she bought another 20 healing potions and went for Larswood then.

Day 36 (7 Kythorn)

The forest seemed quiet at first glance but was populated with lots of bandits.

Spoiler

Of course Dyara solved that problem immediately and Larswood became peaceful and silent again - even more silent when at the druidic shrine Dyara had to kill Osmadi and Corsone as well.

Spoiler

• Blackraven likes this

• Members
  • 981 posts

Isa, female elf sorcerer.

Proficenfies: Dart *

Spells Known: Blind, Shield

Hates: Evil people, evil monsters, evil bloodsucking insects, evil innkeepers who water their wine.

vtf4Cm.png

I like how these read like 'personals.'  Clever. :)

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

Wow! There's so much going on in the BG1 thread these days!

Congrats to Golden28!

And welcome to the challenge Nishiki! Good luck!

Best,

A.

• Golden28 likes this

• Members
  • 981 posts

CKT I already congratulated you over at the BG Forums on your fantastic performance with Sir Gawain, but once more: hats off to you!
ou told me you would take your knight into SoA as well. I was wondering: have you played any BG2 as of late? If not, will you just barge in with Sir Gawain, or will you first do some testing? In my experience SCS Irenicus Dungeon (without most of your gear) is one tricky dungeon, so please be careful.

Well done, Golden! Safe travels in Amn.

Congratulation CKT, awesome completionist run.

Wow, CKT. After so many days, here I am, drinking my coffee and smoking my cigar (remember, I know my priorites! :D ) and what do I see - it's done! Exellent run, grats! Have fun in BG2, whenever you feel like continuing your game.

Congratulations CKT! No-reload of TotSC content is no joke (large mass of characters have died in that content), as Alesia says that does make your run stand out.

Awesome work CKT! Congratulations!

That was a truly outstanding BG1 run. It's has opened my mind to the possibilities of BG1 play. I often find myself rushing through BG1, in the interest of getting to BG2, but with Gawain you've shown just how deep and rich and satisfying BG1 game play can be.

Even if Gawain doesn't continue on to BG2, his run will have a special place in my memory. It gets my vote for best BG1 run in the thread's history. I mean that.

Congratulations again!

Cheers,

A.

Congratulations... *takes hat helm off and bows to CKT*

Good stuff Golden and particular congratulations to CKT!  Always a nice way to finish as well with dead bodies piled all around as your big size 10s stamp down on Sarevok in triumph :D.

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR YOUR KIND WORDS OF ENCOURAGEMENT & CONGRATULATIONS.

I NEVER KNEW WHAT THAT FELT LIKE BEFORE SO THIS IS SPECIAL TO ME AS YOU ARE ALL THE FOLKS I LOOK UP TO WHEN IT COMES TO NEGOTIATING THIS WONDERFUL GAME. 

YES, IT'S ON TO SOA/TOB FROM HERE.  UNFORTUNATELY, I COULDN'T GET BGII DISK NUMBER 2 TO READ IN MY DRIVE YESTERDAY BUT THAT'S PROBABLY A GOOD THING B/C I HAVE TO WORK ON THE FANTASY BASEBALL LEAGUE I RUN TODAY & NOT BEING ABLE TO PLAY RIGHT NOW GIVES ME TIME TO DO THAT.  I PROBABLY NEED TO SLOW DOWN & TAKE A BREATH BEFORE I GO & GET MYSELF KILLED BY THE MEPHIT'S IN THE FIRST ROOM. LOL

I'M PLAYING AROUND W/THE IDEA OF 'PUTTING' OUR BG/TOTSC EQUIPMENT IN THAT FIRST ROOM - I'VE ALWAYS THOUGHT THAT WAS A LITTLE QUESTIONABLE.  I PROBABLY WON'T THOUGH B/C, SINCE I REMOVED THE EXPERIENCE POINT CAP IN BG I I'LL BE STARTING W/AN 11TH LEVEL THIEF & A 9TH LEVEL BARBARIAN & A 9TH LEVEL FIGHTER. I THINK THAT OFFSET'S THE EQUIPMENT SHORTCOMINGS.  

I WILL AVOID JAHEIRA SINCE i GOT HER CHUNKED IN BGI SO SHE COULDN'T BE THERE. IT WOULD BE NICE IF I COOULD PUT ANOTHER OF MY TEAM IN THAT CELL BUT THAT WOULD BE BEYOND MY SKILL LEVEL, SO I'LL JUST GO W/IMOEN, MINSC & GAWAIN.  PICKING UP YOSHI WILL HELP...I'M GOING TO MOD HIM AS A NINJA.  PLUS THAT OPENS UP AN EXTRA SLOT FOR AN NPC. ONE ALWAYS GOES TO NALIA AS I LOVE GETTING THE KEYS TO

D'ARNESE KEEP. WHEN IMOEN GET'S TAKEN I'LL LIKELY SLIDE ANOMEN & KELDORN INTO THE OTHER TWO SLOTS...

WE'LL SEE. I'VE ALWAYS HAD PRETTY GOOD SUCCESS IN SOA/TOB I'LL SEE YA'LL OVER THERE SOON!

THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE.

BTW, AISIM, I'M HEADED OUT TO MY PORCH TO A SMOOTH CORONA RIGHT NOW!  :)

• Blackraven, CrevsDaak, Dyara and 1 other like this