Photo

Baldur's Gate 1 No-Reload Challenge

• Please log in to reply
16394 replies to this topic

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts

@Aasim. It isn't. I know that area quite well. Usually get a lot of experience very quickly there with fireballs etc., but upon one occasion I burnt the paladin accidently. Was NOT pleased. :(

Current game is OK, I will post that ambush when/if I get to it. I'm trying out a Dragon Disciple and have tried three runs all of which ended in ambushes by archers of one sort or another.

Dragon's disciples seem to be exceedingly fragile. Worse than sorcerers.

I think that I might try a Blackguard next as they are are bit more robust.

vbigiani

vbigiani
  • Members
  • 42 posts

I have realised that a lot of the bugs probably arise from the SCS changing the area north of Nashkel.

In particular, the hundreds of goblins that arrive.

Next time that I re-install, I would like to miss out that bit of SCS. It is a vital spawning area for DSoSC, Dark Horizons and Stone of Askavar.

Does anyone know which part of SCS changes those goblins. etc.

Stone of Askavar is actually known for breaking the area you mention. You need to edit open soa/snips/ar4300.baf and soa/snips/bgee/ar4300.baf in your favorite text editor (Notepad is fine, Word is not) and do the following changes before installing that mod:

--- soa\snips\AR4300.BAF	Thu Jul 02 01:12:26 2015
+++ C:\BWP Patchstudio\patched files\soa\snips\AR4300.BAF	Wed Nov 11 20:38:29 2015
@@ -13,15 +13,23 @@
 END

IF
+	Global("DoorS001Active","AR3200",0)
 	GlobalLT("CearwinQuest","GLOBAL",2)
 THEN
 	RESPONSE #100
 		TriggerActivation("DoorS001",FALSE)
+		HideAreaOnMap("ARS002")
+		HideAreaOnMap("ARS005")
+		SetGlobal("DoorS001Active","AR3200",1)
+		Continue()
 END

IF
+	Global("DoorS001Active","AR3200",1)
 	GlobalGT("CearwinQuest","GLOBAL",1)
 THEN
 	RESPONSE #100
 		TriggerActivation("DoorS001",TRUE)
+		SetGlobal("DoorS001Active","AR3200",2)
+		Continue()
 END

• Grimwald the Wise likes this

ussnorway

ussnorway
  • Members
  • 2,350 posts

PEE-scs30-05, 

Fireballs at dawn;

Hear text as mp3,

I recharged my necklace and set fire to some kobolts before resting up just inside the boss cave… ‘web’ | fireballs ended him without fuss and I gave a hopeless mage his dagger back before leaving.

p1-ee023.jpg

Spoiler
p1-ee026.jpg

Returning to town with the good news earned me a new power then I asked the guards to help deal with another assassin before heading north to dispatch a mage… some spiders infesting a house gave me my level then I purchased a (constitution bonus) buckler from FAI and another necklace that blocks mind magic according to the bar keep at Ulgoth's Beard.

• Borco likes this

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts

Stone of Askavar is actually known for breaking the area you mention. You need to edit open soa/snips/ar4300.baf and soa/snips/bgee/ar4300.baf in your favorite text editor (Notepad is fine, Word is not) and do the following changes before installing that mod:

--- soa\snips\AR4300.BAF	Thu Jul 02 01:12:26 2015
+++ C:\BWP Patchstudio\patched files\soa\snips\AR4300.BAF	Wed Nov 11 20:38:29 2015
@@ -13,15 +13,23 @@
 END

IF
+	Global("DoorS001Active","AR3200",0)
 THEN
 	RESPONSE #100
+		HideAreaOnMap("ARS002")
+		HideAreaOnMap("ARS005")
+		SetGlobal("DoorS001Active","AR3200",1)
+		Continue()
 END

IF
+	Global("DoorS001Active","AR3200",1)
 	GlobalGT("CearwinQuest","GLOBAL",1)
 THEN
 	RESPONSE #100
 		TriggerActivation("DoorS001",TRUE)
+		SetGlobal("DoorS001Active","AR3200",2)
+		Continue()
 END

Thanks for the advice. From now on I will post about these modding issues in the "Modding Enhanced Edition" folder as it seems to me to be more appropriate there.

If these issues are known, I am puzzled as to why those corrections have not been put into the download file. :huh:

When you say: "do the following changes," do you mean, "add the following text to the end of those two file" ?

Dyara

Dyara
  • Members
  • 330 posts

I would replace

IF
THEN
    RESPONSE #100
        Continue()
END

with the code from above.

Jianson

Jianson
  • Members
  • 377 posts

Martha, half-elven Totemic Druid, building up in Chapter 2.

Martha, Imoen and Kagain decided to first open up the path to the Gnoll Stronghold before letting Minsc join. So we did the maps that dudleyville calls Fire Leaf Forest and Dryad Falls. Almost completed them, just left another of those mixed kobold packs alone.

Sendai's gang was handled perfectly, with a spirit lion taking on one of the archers and Imoen backstabbed the other right away. Then Call Lightning on the main lady and it was mostly over.

Had something similar planned for Zal & Vax (after a rest in the wolf cave) but I hadn't scouted the area south of them well enough. Two winter wolves joined just as the fight started. But I soon found out that there wasn't much danger as long as my summoned buddy survived:

Martha021%20spiritan%20immunity_zpsvl0z4

And then this:

Martha022%20charming_zpssb1rq8yf.jpg

Martha now has some Darts of Stunning. They will surely come in handy later.

Got a little sloppy with our movement in a bear fight later. This could have ended much worse:

Martha023%20Kagain%20oops_zps44mrezwo.jp

Luckily, he kept running away from the bear so he survived.

Stupid Ludrug called Martha 'our best fighter'. Shouldn't he recognize a warrior when he sees one?

Martha024%20Ludrug_zpsh5xgduiu.jpg

He ended up dead before he could deliver his 'I give up' speech. Oh well.

Another banter I liked:

Martha025%20gold%20talk_zpsbq8rowcd.jpg

I quite like Kagain. He isn't downright mean (or at least not showing it or being persistent with it), he's more just grumpy and greedy.

Dynaheir's rescue went really well. Minsc had a field day with the Composite Long Bow I bought for him (expensive, ugh!). Sometimes he took out full packs of gnolls before they reached melee range.

We travelled to Drizzt's map for two reasons: Dynaheir's journal quest and Bjornin's ogres. About time to give Kagain a better shield (which doesn't risk breaking either). We later met up with Drizzt on the xvart village map. It's best to decline his help searching for the journal, because that gives you 2000 XP (plus 4x100 for killing the gnolls) and a Maze scroll Dynaheir had kept in the journal.

I had no plan to use it, but it's still nice when it's Hard Times:

Martha026%20nice%20gold_zps7xfbdyxq.jpg

Having 18 reputation and 19 charisma made for some nice discounts on a shopping spree I was now doing. Still, some coveted stuff were still way out of our league:

Martha027%20expensive_zpspkrpvqiw.jpg

I bought ammo belt, scroll case, ioun stone (for Imoen), all of Taerom's +1 arrows och ice arrows (he doesn't have that many under Hard Times), three scrolls of Raise Dead (Nashkel temple), a PfMagic scroll and two scrolls of Identify. Dynaheir screwed up scribing both (grrr!) but shortly afterwards succeeded with a scroll that some lowly critter dropped.

Now we went to hunt Ankhegs and open up the passage to the Wyrm's Crossing map. 

I often read about players in this thread that hunt ankhegs far earlier than I would dare to. I dunno if I am doing something wrong, but I think they are FRIGGIN' NASTY! I mean, Kagain has AC 0 when he has his shield up, but he took damage A LOT. Had to give him plenty from our stock of Goodberries between fights. Tried my sprit animals (I can cast two now) but they got pulverized in, like, two rounds. Then it really went downhill. Should not have saved those extra healers. When Kagain got really hurt, he only received a regular healer and that was not enough:

Martha028%20oh%20no%20Kagain_zpsoowvnp4i

Martha was now closest to them, and ate two loogies before Minsc had closed in:

Martha029%20Minsc%20in%20trouble_zpsdkq2

His AC isn't too bad either (Plate Mail and better DEX than Kagain) but he got hurt quickly as well. I thought I had killed one of the ankhegs, but it had sneakily just been diving in the dirt a bit. But it was at Near Death, so Dynaheir could kill it quickly with a Magic Missile. 

Finally some peace. Nasty buggers...

Martha030%20Done_zpscwvpfm6y.jpg

Resurrected Kagain and SK-ed him to CON 19. So now he no longer gets free healing. That has been really convenient up until this, knowing that he's always fully healed after a travel move.

Ankheg killing went better in the cave. They are encountered one at a time there, which makes it easier, of course. Had more success with spirit animals there. A lion and Imoen killed three of them without taking damage. Immy sneaks in, lion sprints in, Imoen backstabs as soon as the ankheg emerges and turns towards the lion. Plus it seems like the lion has some sort of 'save or be stunned' ability.

Nice find in the ankheg stash: Bastard Sword +1. Freed up some weight for Kagain, since he needs far fewer spare swords now.

Random critters had dropped two Knock scrolls. Dynaheir failed the first but scribed the second. First use of it was in Beregost, the house N Red Sheaf. The people in there are interesting. Two of them are named and even the commoner has something interesting to say. Seems like Davis was originally planning to offer a job at a caravan. Does anyone know if this is from a mod, and if there is more to it? Will he ever have anything more to say about it? But for now, Imoen grabbed their diamond and left before the guards showed up. :)

Martha031%20Davis_zpsarm5i9it.jpg

Had 5 unidentified loot items in my base camp in the fletcher's tent in Nashkel Carnival. Four of them were cursed! OK, I knew about Brage's sword and the girdle, but still...

Cursed or not, they still have decent monetary value:

Martha032%20more%20gold_zps1h8jbyap.jpg

Taerom is making an ankheg plate for us. He'll have it ready after 6 more days.

Martha, level 7, 50 hp (rolled 7 and 6 lately, so she's now above average hp!)

Kagain, level 6, 61 hp (1 death, CON=19)

Imoen, level 7, 41 hp

Dynaheir, level 5, 25 hp

Minsc, level 5, 47 hp

• ussnorway, Serg BlackStrider, Aasim and 2 others like this

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

I often read about players in this thread that hunt ankhegs far earlier than I would dare to. I dunno if I am doing something wrong, but I think they are FRIGGIN' NASTY! I mean, Kagain has AC 0 when he has his shield up, but he took damage A LOT. 

They are potentially dangerous, but you can do a number of things to really load the dice in your favour:

- ankhegs are stupid, which means you can approach cautiously and get them to follow you away from a group one at a time - much better than fighting multiple opponents at once.

- with a melee heavy party you can lead them into a trap where everyone is attacking in melee while the ankheg is still trying to use a ranged weapon.  That means it probably needs a critical to hit, but you might well kill it before it even gets its first attack in anyway (this tactic is less efficient in BGEE where you don't get a damage bonus from attacking someone without a melee weapon equipped).

- with a more balanced party you are likely to be better off with all but one of the party targeting missile weapons on the ankheg.  Your designated target attacks in melee.  If the ankheg tries to switch to melee itself then your target can keep moving to avoid any more attacks - the others will continue to target with missiles even when the ankheg is moving underground (BGEE is different again).

- put missile protection items on the target, e.g. belt, cloak, Claw, shield, amulet.  Even for a relatively poor base AC character it's not difficult to get to a position where the ankheg needs a critical.

- if for some reason you really want to fight it in melee than the belt giving +4 against blunt attacks is useful.

- to reduce damage from the odd critical and ensure you don't suffer an untimely death if attacking at low levels you could consider using a couple of green scrolls to avoid any acid damage.

• Grimwald the Wise, Dyara and Borco like this

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts

I am about to do a fresh install having altered Stone of Askavar as suggested above by vbigiani.

This is the installation that I am planning on in EE:

If anyone has any suggestions as far as making it bug-free, I would appreciate them BEFORE I start installation.

Going to bed now.

// Log of Currently Installed WeiDU Mods
// The top of the file is the 'oldest' mod
// ~TP2_File~ #language_number #component_number // [Subcomponent Name -> ] Component Name [ : Version]
~SETUP-DSOTSCBGEE.TP2~ #0 #0 // Dark Side of the Sword Coast For Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Version 1.00
~DRIZZTSAGA/DRIZZTSAGA.TP2~ #0 #0 // The Drizzt Saga for BGEE/Tutu/BGT -> Default version: areas connected by travel triggers: v3.00
~DRIZZTSAGA/DRIZZTSAGA.TP2~ #0 #2 // Raise the XP cap: v3.00
~DRIZZTSAGA/DRIZZTSAGA.TP2~ #0 #3 // Delayed start: Drizzt joins after Durlag's Tower: v3.00
~BGQE/SETUP-BGQE.TP2~ #0 #0 // Slime Quest: v12
~BGQE/SETUP-BGQE.TP2~ #0 #1 // Beregost Family Quest: v12
~BGQE/SETUP-BGQE.TP2~ #0 #2 // Installing the Babysitting Quest, including the Carnival Encounter...: v12
~BGQE/SETUP-BGQE.TP2~ #0 #3 // Nashkel Monster Quest: v12
~BGQE/SETUP-BGQE.TP2~ #0 #4 // Fallen Paladin Quest: v12
~BGQE/SETUP-BGQE.TP2~ #0 #5 // Undying Love Quest: v12
~BGQE/SETUP-BGQE.TP2~ #0 #6 // Orcish Lover Encounter: v12
~BGQE/SETUP-BGQE.TP2~ #0 #7 // Unexpected Help Quest: v12
~BGQE/SETUP-BGQE.TP2~ #0 #8 // "Many Little Paws": v12
~BGQE/SETUP-BGQE.TP2~ #0 #9 // Drunk near Beregost Temple: v12
~BGQE/SETUP-BGQE.TP2~ #0 #10 // A Warm Place for Noober: v12
~SETUP-BGEEAR.TP2~ #0 #0 // TeamBG's Armors for BG:EE, BGT and TuTu Version 1.05
~SETUP-BGEEW.TP2~ #0 #0 // TeamBG's Weapons Pack for BG:EE, BGT and TuTu Version 1.04
~SIRINESCALL/SETUP-SIRINESCALL.TP2~ #0 #0 // The Lure of the Sirine's Call: v13
~SETUP-DARKHORIZONSBGEE.TP2~ #0 #0 //  "Dark Horizons" Mod for Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition: BG:EE v213
~SOA/SETUP-SOA.TP2~ #0 #0 // The Stone of Askavar for TotSC/Tutu/BGT/BGEE -> Default version: areas connected by travel triggers: 1.9
~BG1RE/SETUP-BG1RE.TP2~ #0 #0 // Amount of -ahem- details and BG-style vs. description text!: v1.3
~BG1RE/SETUP-BG1RE.TP2~ #0 #1 // Bardolan's Briefing, by berelinde: v1.3
~BG1RE/SETUP-BG1RE.TP2~ #0 #2 // Scar's Spare Time, by jastey: v1.3
~BG1RE/SETUP-BG1RE.TP2~ #0 #3 // Kim's Preoccupation, by jastey (WARNING - refer to the readme!): v1.3
~BG1RE/SETUP-BG1RE.TP2~ #0 #4 // Extension of Bjornin Encounter (Personal Wound Treatment), by jastey: v1.3
~BG1RE/SETUP-BG1RE.TP2~ #0 #5 // No Starch in the Maypole: v1.3
~BG1RE/SETUP-BG1RE.TP2~ #0 #6 // Duke Eltan's Spare Minute, by jastey: v1.3
~BG1RE/SETUP-BG1RE.TP2~ #0 #7 // Husam's Personal Preparation, by jastey: v1.3
~BG1RE/SETUP-BG1RE.TP2~ #0 #8 // Laurel's Post-Hunting, by jastey: v1.3
~BG1RE/SETUP-BG1RE.TP2~ #0 #9 // Bartus' Seduction, by jastey: v1.3
~BG1RE/SETUP-BG1RE.TP2~ #0 #10 // Lina's Massage, by jastey: v1.3
~BG1RE/SETUP-BG1RE.TP2~ #0 #11 // First Night with Quentin, by Kulyok: v1.3
~BG1RE/SETUP-BG1RE.TP2~ #0 #12 // Chatting Niklos Up, by Kulyok (mature content. WARNING - refer to the readme!): v1.3
~BG1RE/SETUP-BG1RE.TP2~ #0 #13 // Slythe and Krystin, by Kulyok (mature content. WARNING - refer to the readme!): v1.3
~BG1RE/SETUP-BG1RE.TP2~ #0 #14 // No Regrets: v1.3
~BG1RE/SETUP-BG1RE.TP2~ #0 #15 // Purchased Love, by Thimblerig: v1.3
~BG1RE/SETUP-BG1RE.TP2~ #0 #16 // Hull: Heavy Duty, by Lava: v1.3
~BG1RE/SETUP-BG1RE.TP2~ #0 #17 // Late Night with Jaheira, by Kulyok: v1.3
~BG1RE/SETUP-BG1RE.TP2~ #0 #18 // Sil's Blessing, by Lava: v1.3
~BG1RE/SETUP-BG1RE.TP2~ #0 #19 // Melicamp: The Poultry Boy, by Lava: v1.3
~BG1RE/SETUP-BG1RE.TP2~ #0 #20 // Reading with Rinnie, by Western Paladin: v1.3
~BG1RE/SETUP-BG1RE.TP2~ #0 #21 // Molly the Husband-Grabber, by Kulyok: v1.3
~BG1RE/SETUP-BG1RE.TP2~ #0 #22 // The Mourning of Centeol, the Spider Lady, by Lava: v1.3
~BG1RE/SETUP-BG1RE.TP2~ #0 #23 // The Essential End, by Lava: v1.3
~BG1RE/SETUP-BG1RE.TP2~ #0 #24 // The Harvestmen Lair, by Lava (mature content): v1.3
~BG1RE/SETUP-BG1RE.TP2~ #0 #25 // The Great Zudini, by Kulyok (mature content): v1.3
~BG1RE/SETUP-BG1RE.TP2~ #0 #26 // The Messenger, by Thimblerig: v1.3
~BG1RE/SETUP-BG1RE.TP2~ #0 #27 // Ender Sai, the Hero's Reward, by Thimblerig (WARNING - refer to the readme!): v1.3
~BG1RE/SETUP-BG1RE.TP2~ #0 #28 // The Novelists, by Thimblerig: v1.3
~BG1RE/SETUP-BG1RE.TP2~ #0 #29 // The Honest Lies of Two Riversides, By Lava: v1.3
~BG1RE/SETUP-BG1RE.TP2~ #0 #30 // Necromancer's Trouble, by jastey (WARNING - refer to the readme!): v1.3
~BG1RE/SETUP-BG1RE.TP2~ #0 #31 // Dinner with Thalantyr, by jastey: v1.3
~BG1RE/SETUP-BG1RE.TP2~ #0 #32 // Girdle of Gender Reactions, by Thimblerig, Kulyok, Domi, Lava, Lastknightleft, Twani, Jastey, Daisy Ninja Girl: v1.3
~BG1RE/SETUP-BG1RE.TP2~ #0 #33 // The Surgeon's Dream, by Kulyok: v1.3
~BG1RE/SETUP-BG1RE.TP2~ #0 #34 // All That Left Was, by Lava and Thimblerig: v1.3
~BG1RE/SETUP-BG1RE.TP2~ #0 #35 // A Childhood Friend, by Kulyok: v1.3
~BG1RE/SETUP-BG1RE.TP2~ #0 #36 // Arlene the Working Girl, by Kulyok: v1.3
~BG1RE/SETUP-BG1RE.TP2~ #0 #37 // Della May from Thay, by Kulyok: v1.3
~BG1RE/SETUP-BG1RE.TP2~ #0 #38 // A Dirty Guard in Candlekeep, by Kulyok (mature content. WARNING - refer to the readme!): v1.3
~BG1RE/SETUP-BG1RE.TP2~ #0 #39 // Phoenix Flame, by Kulyok (mature content): v1.3
~BG1RE/SETUP-BG1RE.TP2~ #0 #40 // Mikala the Monk, by Twani: v1.3
~XANBG1FRIEND/SETUP-XANBG1FRIEND.TP2~ #0 #0 // Xan's friendship path for BG1: v9bgee
~INDINPC/SETUP-INDINPC.TP2~ #0 #0 // Indira NPC: v12.0 BETA 2
~FINCHNPC/FINCHNPC.TP2~ #0 #0 // Finch NPC: v4.0 BETA 7
~VALERIE/VALERIE.TP2~ #0 #0 // Valerie NPC Mod for BG1 Tutu: v1.1
~THALAN/THALAN.TP2~ #0 #0 // Thalantyr - Item Upgrade: v4.2
~NEERA/NEERA.TP2~ #0 #0 // Neera Expansion: v1.1
~NEERA/NEERA.TP2~ #0 #2 // How much time would you like between talks (approximately)? -> 30 minutes: v1.1
~GAVIN/GAVIN.TP2~ #0 #0 // Gavin NPC for Tutu, BGT, and BG:EE: v9
~GAVIN/GAVIN.TP2~ #0 #1 // Gavin: Romance (mature content): v9
~GAVIN/GAVIN.TP2~ #0 #2 // Gavin: Flirts (adult content): v9
~GAVIN/GAVIN.TP2~ #0 #10 // Gavin: Alternate Portraits -> Blue cloak, by kiwidoc: v9
~GAVIN/GAVIN.TP2~ #0 #13 // Gavin: Player Initiated Dialogue: v9
~ISRA/SETUP-ISRA.TP2~ #0 #0 // Isra NPC Mod for BG:EE, BGT and TuTu
~ISRA/SETUP-ISRA.TP2~ #0 #1 // Install Valerie/Isra crossmod banter?
~ISRA/SETUP-ISRA.TP2~ #0 #2 // Install Gavin/Isra crossmod banter?
~AJANTISBG1/SETUP-AJANTISBG1.TP2~ #0 #0 // Installs Ajantis BG1 Expansion Modification: 10
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1010 // More Interjections: v16
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1080 // Add Bags of Holding: v16
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1090 // Exotic Item Pack: v16
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1100 // Reveal City Maps When Entering Area: v16
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1120 // Stores Sell Higher Stacks of Items: v16
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2060 // Weapon Styles for All: v16
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2151 // Wear Multiple Protection Items -> No Restrictions: v16
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2200 // Multi-Class Grandmastery (Weimer): v16
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2210 // True Grandmastery (Baldurdash): v16
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2352 // Alter Multiclass Restrictions -> Install both of the above options: v16
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2372 // Alter Dual-class Restrictions -> Install both of the above options: v16
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3000 // Higher HP on Level Up -> Maximum: v16
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3010 // Maximum HP for NPCs (the bigg) -> For All Creatures in Game: v16
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3031 // Easy Spell Learning -> 100% Learn Spells and No Maximum Cap: v16
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3040 // Make Bags of Holding Bottomless: v16
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3080 // Unlimited Ammo Stacking: v16
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3090 // Unlimited Gem and Jewelry Stacking: v16
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3100 // Unlimited Potion Stacking: v16
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3110 // Unlimited Scroll Stacking: v16
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3121 // Happy Patch (Party NPCs do not complain about reputation) -> NPCs Can Be Angry About Reputation but Never Leave (Salk): v16
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3125 // Neutral Characters Make Happy Comments at  Mid-Range Reputation: v16
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3190 // Rest Anywhere (Japheth): v16
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #4031 // Consistent Stats: Edwin -> Use BG2 Values: v16
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #4041 // Consistent Stats: Jaheira -> Use BG2 Values: v16
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #4061 // Consistent Stats: Minsc -> Use BG2 Values: v16
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #4071 // Consistent Stats: Viconia -> Use BG2 Values: v16
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #4080 // Make Khalid a Fighter-Mage (Domi): v16
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #1000 // Initialise mod (all other components require this): v30
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #1910 // Protection from Normal Missiles also blocks Arrows of Fire/Cold/Acid and similar projectiles without pluses: v30
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #2010 // More consistent Breach spell (always affects liches and rakshasas; doesn't penetrate Spell Turning): v30
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #2020 // Antimagic attacks penetrate improved invisibility: v30
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #2030 // Iron Skins behaves like Stoneskin (can be brought down by Breach): v30
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #2150 // Make spell sequencers, spell triggers, and contingencies learnable by all mages: v30
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #3030 // Re-introduce potions of extra-healing: v30
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #4040 // Make party members less likely to die irreversibly: v30
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #4110 // Allow NPC pairs to separate: v30
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #4120 // NPCs go to inns: v30
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #4140 // Allow Yeslick to use axes: v30
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #5000 // Ease-of-use party AI: v30
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #5010 // Move Boo into Minsc's pack: v30
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #5050 // Stackable ankheg shells, winterwolf pelts and wyvern heads: v30
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #5060 // Ensure Shar-Teel doesn't die in the original challenge: v30
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #5900 // Initialise AI components (required for all tactical and AI components): v30
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6000 // Smarter general AI: v30
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6010 // Better calls for help: v30
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6034 // Smarter Mages -> Mages cast short-duration spells instantly at start of combat on difficulty settings of Hard or higher: v30
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6044 // Smarter Priests -> Priests cast short-duration spells instantly at start of combat on difficulty settings of Hard or higher: v30
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6100 // Potions for NPCs -> All of the potions dropped by slain enemies are recoverable: v30
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6300 // Smarter sirines and dryads: v30
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6310 // Slightly harder carrion crawlers: v30
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6320 // Smarter basilisks: v30
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7000 // Improved doppelgangers: v30
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7010 // Tougher Black Talons and Iron Throne guards: v30
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7020 // Improved deployment for parties of assassins: v30
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7030 // Dark Side-based kobold upgrade: v30
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7040 // Relocated bounty hunters: v30
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7050 // Improved Ulcaster: v30
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7060 // Improved Balduran's Isle: v30
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7070 // Improved Durlag's Tower: v30
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7080 // Improved Demon Cultists: v30
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7090 // Improved Cloakwood Druids: v30
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7100 // Improved Bassilus: v30
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7110 // Improved Drasus party: v30
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7130 // Improved Red Wizards: v30
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7140 // Improved Undercity party: v30
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7200 // Tougher chapter-two end battle: v30
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7210 // Tougher chapter-three end battle: v30
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7220 // Tougher chapter-four end battle: v30
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7230 // Tougher chapter-five end battle: v30
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7250 // Improved final battle: v30
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7900 // Improved minor encounters: v30

Thanks. :)

• ussnorway likes this

Jianson

Jianson
  • Members
  • 377 posts

- ankhegs are stupid, which means you can approach cautiously and get them to follow you away from a group one at a time - much better than fighting multiple opponents at once.

- with a melee heavy party you can lead them into a trap where everyone is attacking in melee while the ankheg is still trying to use a ranged weapon.  That means it probably needs a critical to hit, but you might well kill it before it even gets its first attack in anyway (this tactic is less efficient in BGEE where you don't get a damage bonus from attacking someone without a melee weapon equipped).

- with a more balanced party you are likely to be better off with all but one of the party targeting missile weapons on the ankheg.  Your designated target attacks in melee.  If the ankheg tries to switch to melee itself then your target can keep moving to avoid any more attacks - the others will continue to target with missiles even when the ankheg is moving underground (BGEE is different again).

- put missile protection items on the target, e.g. belt, cloak, Claw, shield, amulet.  Even for a relatively poor base AC character it's not difficult to get to a position where the ankheg needs a critical.

- if for some reason you really want to fight it in melee than the belt giving +4 against blunt attacks is useful.

- to reduce damage from the odd critical and ensure you don't suffer an untimely death if attacking at low levels you could consider using a couple of green scrolls to avoid any acid damage.

Ah, so they won't 'call for help´? So if I let one see me and quickly back off, it will follow alone?

I think part of my problem is that I can't tell if the ankheg is about to do melee or ranged. It's not like a hobgoblin where you can see the bow or the sword.

I think the only thing I could have done to give Kagain better missile protection than he had would have been making him proficient/specialized in Sword & Shield style when I recruited him. Not sure what you mean with shield and amulet. He was wearing plate mail, one item of protection (ring) and a +1 Medium Shield. I haven't found Girdle of Piercing or Boots of Avoidance yet, and the Claw is too expensive at this stage. He did have Girdle of Bluntness, though.

Acid protection scroll is a good idea for the young character.

• ussnorway and Grimwald the Wise like this

ussnorway

ussnorway
  • Members
  • 2,350 posts

PEE-scs30-06, 

It’s a trap;

Hear text as mp3,

I was ambushed by some amazons; fireball, mind blocking trinket, shield amulet, fireball and fireball sorted them out… one of them dropped some nice leather armour that allows me to sell a ring of protection and wear my anti-fire ring again. I returned to the carnival to sell their gear/ recharge the fireball necklace and agreed to escort a ranger so he can rescue a mage… I’m ready for the ambush this time! After selling the excess and razing the ranger the gnolls themselves proved little hindrance and the mage is safe from whatever sordid fate was installed… I did consider keeping her but she obviously likes her men to be “less of a challenge” so I put up my shield amulet again and recovered the charisma tome.

p1-ee027.jpg

Spoiler
p1-ee030.jpg

Shield, web and fireballs tidied up the bandit camp outskirts and the mind blocking amulet | shield combo gave me the edge inside for my seventh level… the two improved invisibility allowed me to walk past the horrors guarding Durlag's Tower to collect the wisdom tome.

p1-ee031.jpg

Spoiler
p1-ee034.jpg

p.s, I am tempted to hire some minions next but we’ll see.

• Gate70, Serg BlackStrider and Grimwald the Wise like this

Charlestonian Knight Templar

• Members
  • 981 posts

My dear Gorion, today is the sixth day since you were taken from me in the ambush. That place will forever be known as Gorion’s Rest, at least if I have anything to do with it. I took your advice and am travelling with Khalid and Jaheira who will back me up on that I know. On the other hand, you might not be as pleased to know that Imoen is with me too. I know this’s not what you would have wanted for her but neither of us can call Candlekeep home without you there. Since I met up with Imoen the morning after we were ambushed, we’ve travelled through the Crossroads accompanied by two adventurers who were obviously of evil or devious intent but I kept them along for the numbers they added, despite Imoen’s protestations. One of them was obviously a Necromancer, the other I suspect an assassin. They served their purpose as we defeated a War Dog before finally making it to the Friendly Arm Inn where we were immediately attacked by a mage assassin named Tarnesh who we defeated easily. His spellbook gave us his name as well as a few scrolls. 

2798d556f15e23ec4ea1c4bf8cdbe1.jpg
DEFEATING THE MAGE ASSASSIN AT THE FRIENDLY ARM

We met up with Khalid and Jaheira, reequipped, and headed south toward Nashkel where they were bound before we met up with them. Actually, the other two were headed there too so with no other guidance from you except to find Khalid and Jaheira, it seemed as good a destination as any. The six of us travelled south back through the Crossroads where we battled and defeated a Wild Dog and two War Dogs before making it to Beregost. In Beregost, we had to find a temple which was close by. Jaheira had been bitten by a War Dog, had lost a lot of blood and was unconscious. There I met and enlisted a Morninglord of Lathander, Gavin, which allowed me to release the assassin. Imoen convinced the Necromancer to stay with us – she had some kind of curiosity about him and without the assassin he was too weak to be a threat.

Key Event: We went to rest in an inn called the Red Sheaf, where, as seems to be might lot lately, I was attacked by a stout dwarf who managed to injure Gavin, who collapsed from blood loss. The Necromancer saved the day by casting Horror from a scroll that took the dwarf out of his mind. After that, he just wandered aimlessly and we took him out. We healed Gavin with another trip to the temple (Temple of the Morning) and then rested for the night. 

The next day, we hit the smithy, loaded up on sling stones and arrows before heading into the Beregost Wildness. Just south of town, we came across two Ogrillons that we defeated by spreading out and keeping them running in circles while firing sling stones, arrows and spells at them. Further south was the Nashkel Pass where we stumbled on six Hobgoblins that we defeated despite the fact that they were firing arrows back at us. We had barely gathered up their loot and started to walk long before we were attacked by two bandits that we also made quick work of. We also had to kill two Worgs before we made it to Nashkel. As soon as we were in Nashkel, we were warned not to cause trouble, only to be attacked by some kind of priestess as soon as we walked into the Nashkel Inn. Khalid, as a Ranger/Archer, was a big help keeping her off balance with his longbow and I still had two Magic Missiles in my memory and a Scroll of Chromatic Orb which helped. Gavin & Jaheira attacked with their slings and Imoen with her short bow and soon she was a corpse. We met with Berrun Ghastkill, the mayor who was expecting Jaheira. He enlisted us to look into the Nashkel Mines and find out what is happening to the ore that is coming out of there. Shortly after we met a tough looking man in plate mail with a huge two-handed sword. I’d been feeling the need for a real warrior and this guy looked the part. He is on a mission to rescue a woman named Dynahier west of Nashkel. She is a captive at a Gnoll Stronghold so we are going to undertake that mission first, then circle back to the mines. 

Treasure of Note: Arms and armor: Helm of Infravision (Gavin), Splint Mail (sold); Scrolls: Magic Missile, Chromatic Orb, Grease, Blindness (Merlin), Horror (Xzar – Necromancer)

Current DispositionNashkel Inn

Next Steps: Rescue mission for Minsc to a Gnoll Stronghold west of Nashkel

Level Up: None

Current Party(Reputation: 11 - Average)

Merlin: Sorcerer//1; sling +1 and Quarter Staff (Neira)

e35791fbef14ce210d25f1c73a2098.jpg

MERLIN CHARACTER RECORD

c7a70025c2f8f88b0e8dbdd837817f.jpg
MERLIN INVENTORY

Minsc: Fighter/Berserker//1; Plate Mail, Two-handed sword (N/a) (Spellcaster defend)

Imoen: Thief/Adventurer//1; leather armor, short bow and short sword (War Dog) (Thief defensive)

Gavin: Cleric/Morninglord of Lathander//1; Splint Mail, Sling, Warhammer (Ogrillon) (Cleric Aggressive)

Khalid: Ranger/Archer//1; Studded Leather, Long Bow, Bastard Sword (Worg) (Ranger Ranged)

Jaheira: Fighter/Druid/Priestess of Silvanus/1; Studded leather, Quarter Staff, Club, Sling (Ogrillon) (Druid offensive/defensive)

Mods Used: BG 5512; ToB Patch 26498; ToBEx Beta 0026; BG2 Fixpack (v)10; BGT 118; Dark Side of the Sword Coast (v)2.17; Northern Tales of the Sword Coast (v)170; Northern Tales of the Sword Coast (v)171; Secret of Bonehill (v)2.75; Drizzt Saga (v)3; Lure of Sirine’s Call (v)13; Thalantyr Item Upgrade; BG1 NPC Project (v)22; Indira NPC (v)10.4; Gavin NPC (v)9; BG1 UB (v)13.1;  BGSpawn (v)1.12; The White Queen (v)4.1; Amber NPC (v)4; Isra NPC (v)2.1; Fade NPC (v)4.0; Valen NPC (v)45; Auren Aseph (v)9; Sarah NPC (v)3.1; Haldimir NPC (v)2; Tyris Flare (v)7; Hotfix for Gavin BG2 (v) 20; Gavin NPC BG2 (v)20; de’Arnise Romance  (v)4; IEP Extended Banter (v)4.2; Viconia Friendship SoA & ToB (v)3.3; Mazzy’s Friendship SoA & ToB (v)2.2; Yoshimo Friendship SoA & ToB (v)3.1; Imoen Friendship SoA & ToB (v)2.2; BG2 UB (v)26; Chosen of Mystra BGII Subrace; SCS (v)30 (minus tactical challenges); P&P Celestials (v)5; NPC Flirt Pack (v)1.03; Romantic Encounters (v)9; Cross Banter Mod Pack for BG2II (v)15; NPC Kit Pack (v)4; Song & Silence Mod for Bards & Thieves (v)6; Divine Remix (Beta)(v)8; Paladins of Faerun Kit Pack (v)4; Sword & Fist (v)7; Rogue Rebalancing (v)4.80; BGT Tweaks (v)11; BG2 Tweak Pack (v)16; Hard Times for BGTv2.4; Item Randomizer (v)6.8; Mega Mod Kits (v)1.01L; Level 1 NPCs (v)1.9; BP BGT Maps (v)10.2.1

Blue Font: New information;

Red Font: Monster encounters (first use)

(Best kill)(Current AI)

• ussnorway, Gate70, Serg BlackStrider and 4 others like this

• Members
  • 981 posts

I've just started this PC.  I'm more of a Paladin and Fighter guy but I thought I'd see how far I could take him.

Actually, I really wish there was a way that I could play him as a Mage/Druid or Sorcerer/Druid which is far closer to the Merlin in the true Camelot stories.  I rolled a few different PCs, a Human (Tiefling) Sorcerer, a Human (Tiefling) Druid, an Elven (Moon Elf) Sorcerer and a Half-Elven (Moon Elf) Druid.  After going to Shadowkeeper to align all the stats and alignment with that of Merlin in the D&D Deities and Demigods manual, I ended up reluctantly selecting a Human/Tiefling. Sorcerer. 

I still think he'll be cool, he just would have been more 'realistic' in my mind with a mix of sorcery and druid abilities, even if he had to start with one and then dual-class like humans have to do.  

Oh well, here he is.  We'll see how long he lasts.  CKT

Aasim

Aasim
  • Members
  • 1,361 posts

I still think he'll be cool, he just would have been more 'realistic' in my mind with a mix of sorcery and druid abilities, even if he had to start with one and then dual-class like humans have to do.  

Well.....here's one.

And here's two.

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts

Peter congratulates Lindin and Baerin on the kill, in the knowledge that his rigid thinking -> hold person had been the key. Sure, the bounty hunter had globed Kirian and led his companions into a couple of damaging traps but Kirian would be back shortly, unlike their nameless halfling attacker. Peter rifled through the corpse to surmise that their hunter had brought several earlier targets into a deathly custody but under-estimated and poorly-planned his final venture.

Dyara

Dyara
  • Members
  • 330 posts

Dyara, elven Fighter/Mage/Thief

Installation is BGEE plus RE, UB, NPC, RR, SCS... (see Weidu.log)

Spoiler

After getting killed by Davaeorn it was back to Candlekeep again (sigh). The next attempt looked pretty good until it was ended on the 2nd level of Durlag's Labyrinth by a Greater Doppelganger disguised as Islanne (Confusion -> Death). So here's the next one...

Spoiler

From Candlekeep it's just the usual stuff... went to Friendly Arm Inn for the Ring of Wizardry, for buying two potions of genius for later use. Sneaking inside, resting and memorizing 'Shield' made Tarnesh an easy fight. On her way south Dyara fought the caravan bandits, she backstabbed the ogre for some initial damage and finished him using arrows...

Spoiler

Next were Beregost (robbing Travenhurst Manor and Thunderhammer Smithy, Spiders, Marl, Firebead and the letter for Marianne) and High Hedge (to buy spells and scribe them using the potions of genius, Mellicamp survived). Afterwards Dyara went to Nashkel (for the Ankheg Plate, resting in the inn without disturbing Neira) and to Nashkel Mines (for Greywolf's sword). Went east then for the Ring of Fire Resistance and to take in Samuel. To the north the tombs were cleansed and at Durlag's Tower a Potion of Master Thievery was bought (for later use). A 'Sleep' spell saved Arabella from becoming Xvart food...

Spoiler

On the same map Dyara also dealt with Arghain and his half-ogre brutes, Ioin Gallchobhair and his two companions and Sarhedra's ogres. Via Beregost (Karlat, Colquetle for the reputation) Dyara went to Friendly Arm Inn (Samuel, buying a Potion of Mind Focusing). then further north for some ankheg hunting (also Brun, Tenya) and finally Ulgoth's Beard (for buying a cloak, an amulet, a composite shortbow+2, some spells and for pickpocketing the Ring of Free Action from Dushai using the Potions of Master Thievery/Mind Focusing and a 'Luck' spell). By selling lots of Ankheg Shells to Taerom Fuiruim Dyara achieved a degree of prosperity. A short trip to the east saw Dyara fighting some vampiric wolves and challenging Meilum at Firewine Bridge (really bad luck with the dices caused her to use 2+2 healing potions)...

Spoiler

A journey to the west (Black Alaric's Cave, worgs at the light house, Charleston and the idol of Kozah, Captain Brage) made her reputation grow to heroic and on her next trip Dyara explored the areas to the southwest for further improving wealth and equipment (Girdle of Bluntness, Gauntlets of Dexterity, Tome of Leadership and Influence, Boots of the North, Neville, Gnoll hunting with Drizzt, Robe of Fire Resistance and Bjornin's Half-Ogres). Highest reputation and a 'Friends' spell then allowed Dyara to buy the 'Robe of Neutral Archmage' for just slightly more than 13,ooo gold (you really can't say no to that).

At the Nashkel Mines the kobolds' chieftain and the shaman were dispatched...

Spoiler

... and Mulahey joined his kobolds' fate only one rest later...

Spoiler

Back in Nashkel Dyara received her reward - and became ambushed by Nimbul but prevailed easily. After having a word with evil Silke Dyara left Beregost for Mutamin's Garden but became ambushed by Molkar's group. Dyara casted Invisibility and killed Halacan with backstab...

Spoiler

Some lucky hits then forced her to quaff a potion of extra healing but still she prevailed...

Spoiler

At Mutamin's Garden all the basilisks (but Mutamin's pet) went down without disturbing the mad mage. Then Korax proved his worth when he paralyzed not just Kirian's Group one by one...

Spoiler

... but also Mutamin and finally his basilisk as well...

Spoiler

Next stop on Dyara's journey through the Sword Coast was made at Durlag's Tower. The Tome of Understanding was taken from the altar, the ghost and Kirinhale were ignored and then Dyara went down to explore the lower levels. Down there traps, Phase Spiders, Skeleton Warriors and Greater Doppelgangers posed no threat, three of the four warders were successfully stabbed in the back...

Spoiler

Going after Avarice (who had disappeared into one of the southern chambers) would probably cost her some 'Potions of Extra Healing' and gain her nothing so Dyara didn't even try. On the next level Dyara was extra careful when searching the place as her previous run had ended here. But fortunately the false Islanne switched quickly into her true form and therefore wasn't much of a threat anymore. The three Greater Doppelgangers guarding Kiel's Helm went down as well and so did the four Dwarven Doom Guards guarding Kiel's other items. After collecting the items from the 'Fireball Chamber' on the level below Dyara decided to leave the dungeon. At Ulcaster Icharyd was destroyed and the famous Wolf of Ulcaster was turned into a bedside carpet...

Spoiler

Next Dyara started her search for the bandit camp. At Larswood and Peldvale some bandit groups were defeated...

Spoiler

... and then the camp was found. Again Dyara waited for nightfall (using the time for scribing spells like web and memorizing them). The battle field was prepared with grease and web, the bandits were lured into the trap and killed using explosives...

Spoiler

In the whole fight Dyara was hit only twice (and most damage came from a summoned xvart). In one of the tents Dyara found letters revealing her next target: an old mine deep within the foreboding Cloakwood forest.

Name     Level                  HP   Game Kills XP  Game Kills  Strongest Kill   Deaths         Pips
Dyara    F(6)/M(6)/T(7)      63 HP     228,095         526      Greater Basilisk -              Longsword(**), TWF(**), Flail(**)

To be continued...

• ussnorway, Serg BlackStrider, Grimwald the Wise and 2 others like this

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts

Good roll there Dyara, even if Fighter/mage/thieves are one of the easier classes (along with cleric/ranger) to get a good roll. :)

Dyara

Dyara
  • Members
  • 330 posts

Good roll there Dyara, even if Fighter/mage/thieves are one of the easier classes (along with cleric/ranger) to get a good roll. :)

I have to admit that I let roll ;) - but all the additional points are spend on wisdom.

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts

@ Dyara

I have no problem with using the re-roller.

It doesn't work with an EE modded game though.

Just run an orcish fighter/cleric. Thought that I was doing well until Tenya used her spells. Last one was hold. My character died.

Now time for a dwarven male. I haven't got the sub-race mod so he isn't a duerger, but he certainly looks like one. No surprises that he is a blackguard. Str 18/61 Dex 17, Con 19, Int 9, Wis 8, Cha 14. ** Axes. ** Sword and shield.

He has got up to level 4 doing the quests between Nashkel and the zombie field. However avoided all ankheg except for the one with a dagger in its gullet which died as a result of poison.

Xzar and Montaron then joined the team and the walking speed dropped to lower than snail pace. The game isn't stuttering or refusing to follow instructions as in the previous problem. It is just VERY slow. Any ideas?

I am wondering if I should have installed the modification: BG1 Walking Speeds Beta?

EDIT

This problem solved, I just transferred a lot of saved games to my memory stick.

There was not enough memory on the computer.

However a quick question. Would it be better to have installed the walking speeds modification?

EDIT2

My blackguard lasted a bit longer than my previous one, getting to level4. He joined up with Xzar and Montaron and they investigated the south. Xzar insisted on the dryad being killed and a little later Dorn joined the party. Upon trying to satisfy his lust for revenge, the party was ambushed by those who objected to the death of the dryad. Both blackguards were held and Xzar died before he cast a single spell. That left Montaron. He did manage to kill one of our attackers before the PC was killed. Too little. Too late.

Reverted back to a Paladin who didn't even make it out of Candlekeep. I had armed Shank with a decent knife, Shocker +2, and given him Studded leather +1 armour. It was enough to defeat a fairly strong paladin.

Next another paladin. This being a clone of the previous one.

Weidu log below:

// Log of Currently Installed WeiDU Mods
// The top of the file is the 'oldest' mod
// ~TP2_File~ #language_number #component_number // [Subcomponent Name -> ] Component Name [ : Version]
~SETUP-DSOTSCBGEE.TP2~ #0 #0 // Dark Side of the Sword Coast For Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Version 1.00
~DRIZZTSAGA/DRIZZTSAGA.TP2~ #0 #0 // The Drizzt Saga for BGEE/Tutu/BGT -> Default version: areas connected by travel triggers: v3.00
~DRIZZTSAGA/DRIZZTSAGA.TP2~ #0 #2 // Raise the XP cap: v3.00
~DRIZZTSAGA/DRIZZTSAGA.TP2~ #0 #3 // Delayed start: Drizzt joins after Durlag's Tower: v3.00
~BGQE/SETUP-BGQE.TP2~ #0 #0 // Slime Quest: v12
~BGQE/SETUP-BGQE.TP2~ #0 #1 // Beregost Family Quest: v12
~BGQE/SETUP-BGQE.TP2~ #0 #2 // Installing the Babysitting Quest, including the Carnival Encounter...: v12
~BGQE/SETUP-BGQE.TP2~ #0 #3 // Nashkel Monster Quest: v12
~BGQE/SETUP-BGQE.TP2~ #0 #4 // Fallen Paladin Quest: v12
~BGQE/SETUP-BGQE.TP2~ #0 #5 // Undying Love Quest: v12
~BGQE/SETUP-BGQE.TP2~ #0 #6 // Orcish Lover Encounter: v12
~BGQE/SETUP-BGQE.TP2~ #0 #7 // Unexpected Help Quest: v12
~BGQE/SETUP-BGQE.TP2~ #0 #8 // "Many Little Paws": v12
~BGQE/SETUP-BGQE.TP2~ #0 #9 // Drunk near Beregost Temple: v12
~BGQE/SETUP-BGQE.TP2~ #0 #10 // A Warm Place for Noober: v12
~SETUP-BGEEAR.TP2~ #0 #0 // TeamBG's Armors for BG:EE, BGT and TuTu Version 1.05
~SETUP-BGEEW.TP2~ #0 #0 // TeamBG's Weapons Pack for BG:EE, BGT and TuTu Version 1.04
~SIRINESCALL/SETUP-SIRINESCALL.TP2~ #0 #0 // The Lure of the Sirine's Call: v13
~SETUP-DARKHORIZONSBGEE.TP2~ #0 #0 //  "Dark Horizons" Mod for Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition: BG:EE v213
~SOA/SETUP-SOA.TP2~ #0 #0 // The Stone of Askavar for TotSC/Tutu/BGT/BGEE -> Default version: areas connected by travel triggers: 1.9
~BG1RE/SETUP-BG1RE.TP2~ #0 #0 // Amount of -ahem- details and BG-style vs. description text!: v1.3
~BG1RE/SETUP-BG1RE.TP2~ #0 #1 // Bardolan's Briefing, by berelinde: v1.3
~BG1RE/SETUP-BG1RE.TP2~ #0 #2 // Scar's Spare Time, by jastey: v1.3
~BG1RE/SETUP-BG1RE.TP2~ #0 #3 // Kim's Preoccupation, by jastey (WARNING - refer to the readme!): v1.3
~BG1RE/SETUP-BG1RE.TP2~ #0 #4 // Extension of Bjornin Encounter (Personal Wound Treatment), by jastey: v1.3
~BG1RE/SETUP-BG1RE.TP2~ #0 #5 // No Starch in the Maypole: v1.3
~BG1RE/SETUP-BG1RE.TP2~ #0 #6 // Duke Eltan's Spare Minute, by jastey: v1.3
~BG1RE/SETUP-BG1RE.TP2~ #0 #7 // Husam's Personal Preparation, by jastey: v1.3
~BG1RE/SETUP-BG1RE.TP2~ #0 #8 // Laurel's Post-Hunting, by jastey: v1.3
~BG1RE/SETUP-BG1RE.TP2~ #0 #9 // Bartus' Seduction, by jastey: v1.3
~BG1RE/SETUP-BG1RE.TP2~ #0 #10 // Lina's Massage, by jastey: v1.3
~BG1RE/SETUP-BG1RE.TP2~ #0 #11 // First Night with Quentin, by Kulyok: v1.3
~BG1RE/SETUP-BG1RE.TP2~ #0 #12 // Chatting Niklos Up, by Kulyok (mature content. WARNING - refer to the readme!): v1.3
~BG1RE/SETUP-BG1RE.TP2~ #0 #13 // Slythe and Krystin, by Kulyok (mature content. WARNING - refer to the readme!): v1.3
~BG1RE/SETUP-BG1RE.TP2~ #0 #14 // No Regrets: v1.3
~BG1RE/SETUP-BG1RE.TP2~ #0 #15 // Purchased Love, by Thimblerig: v1.3
~BG1RE/SETUP-BG1RE.TP2~ #0 #16 // Hull: Heavy Duty, by Lava: v1.3
~BG1RE/SETUP-BG1RE.TP2~ #0 #17 // Late Night with Jaheira, by Kulyok: v1.3
~BG1RE/SETUP-BG1RE.TP2~ #0 #18 // Sil's Blessing, by Lava: v1.3
~BG1RE/SETUP-BG1RE.TP2~ #0 #19 // Melicamp: The Poultry Boy, by Lava: v1.3
~BG1RE/SETUP-BG1RE.TP2~ #0 #20 // Reading with Rinnie, by Western Paladin: v1.3
~BG1RE/SETUP-BG1RE.TP2~ #0 #21 // Molly the Husband-Grabber, by Kulyok: v1.3
~BG1RE/SETUP-BG1RE.TP2~ #0 #22 // The Mourning of Centeol, the Spider Lady, by Lava: v1.3
~BG1RE/SETUP-BG1RE.TP2~ #0 #23 // The Essential End, by Lava: v1.3
~BG1RE/SETUP-BG1RE.TP2~ #0 #24 // The Harvestmen Lair, by Lava (mature content): v1.3
~BG1RE/SETUP-BG1RE.TP2~ #0 #25 // The Great Zudini, by Kulyok (mature content): v1.3
~BG1RE/SETUP-BG1RE.TP2~ #0 #26 // The Messenger, by Thimblerig: v1.3
~BG1RE/SETUP-BG1RE.TP2~ #0 #27 // Ender Sai, the Hero's Reward, by Thimblerig (WARNING - refer to the readme!): v1.3
~BG1RE/SETUP-BG1RE.TP2~ #0 #28 // The Novelists, by Thimblerig: v1.3
~BG1RE/SETUP-BG1RE.TP2~ #0 #29 // The Honest Lies of Two Riversides, By Lava: v1.3
~BG1RE/SETUP-BG1RE.TP2~ #0 #30 // Necromancer's Trouble, by jastey (WARNING - refer to the readme!): v1.3
~BG1RE/SETUP-BG1RE.TP2~ #0 #31 // Dinner with Thalantyr, by jastey: v1.3
~BG1RE/SETUP-BG1RE.TP2~ #0 #32 // Girdle of Gender Reactions, by Thimblerig, Kulyok, Domi, Lava, Lastknightleft, Twani, Jastey, Daisy Ninja Girl: v1.3
~BG1RE/SETUP-BG1RE.TP2~ #0 #33 // The Surgeon's Dream, by Kulyok: v1.3
~BG1RE/SETUP-BG1RE.TP2~ #0 #34 // All That Left Was, by Lava and Thimblerig: v1.3
~BG1RE/SETUP-BG1RE.TP2~ #0 #35 // A Childhood Friend, by Kulyok: v1.3
~BG1RE/SETUP-BG1RE.TP2~ #0 #36 // Arlene the Working Girl, by Kulyok: v1.3
~BG1RE/SETUP-BG1RE.TP2~ #0 #37 // Della May from Thay, by Kulyok: v1.3
~BG1RE/SETUP-BG1RE.TP2~ #0 #38 // A Dirty Guard in Candlekeep, by Kulyok (mature content. WARNING - refer to the readme!): v1.3
~BG1RE/SETUP-BG1RE.TP2~ #0 #39 // Phoenix Flame, by Kulyok (mature content): v1.3
~BG1RE/SETUP-BG1RE.TP2~ #0 #40 // Mikala the Monk, by Twani: v1.3
~XANBG1FRIEND/SETUP-XANBG1FRIEND.TP2~ #0 #0 // Xan's friendship path for BG1: v9bgee
~INDINPC/SETUP-INDINPC.TP2~ #0 #0 // Indira NPC: v12.0 BETA 2
~FINCHNPC/FINCHNPC.TP2~ #0 #0 // Finch NPC: v4.0 BETA 7
~VALERIE/VALERIE.TP2~ #0 #0 // Valerie NPC Mod for BG1 Tutu: v1.1
~THALAN/THALAN.TP2~ #0 #0 // Thalantyr - Item Upgrade: v4.2
~NEERA/NEERA.TP2~ #0 #0 // Neera Expansion: v1.1
~NEERA/NEERA.TP2~ #0 #4 // How much time would you like between talks (approximately)? -> 1.5 hours (default): v1.1
~GAVIN/GAVIN.TP2~ #0 #0 // Gavin NPC for Tutu, BGT, and BG:EE: v9
~GAVIN/GAVIN.TP2~ #0 #1 // Gavin: Romance (mature content): v9
~GAVIN/GAVIN.TP2~ #0 #2 // Gavin: Flirts (adult content): v9
~GAVIN/GAVIN.TP2~ #0 #11 // Gavin: Alternate Portraits -> Looking up, by kiwidoc: v9
~GAVIN/GAVIN.TP2~ #0 #13 // Gavin: Player Initiated Dialogue: v9
~ISRA/SETUP-ISRA.TP2~ #0 #0 // Isra NPC Mod for BG:EE, BGT and TuTu
~ISRA/SETUP-ISRA.TP2~ #0 #1 // Install Valerie/Isra crossmod banter?
~ISRA/SETUP-ISRA.TP2~ #0 #2 // Install Gavin/Isra crossmod banter?
~AJANTISBG1/SETUP-AJANTISBG1.TP2~ #0 #0 // Installs Ajantis BG1 Expansion Modification: 10
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1010 // More Interjections: v16
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1036 // Make Cloakwood Areas Available Before Completing the Bandit Camp -> All of Cloakwood Except the Mines: v16
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1070 // Improved Multi-Player Kick-out Dialogues: v16
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1080 // Add Bags of Holding: v16
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1090 // Exotic Item Pack: v16
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1100 // Reveal City Maps When Entering Area: v16
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1120 // Stores Sell Higher Stacks of Items: v16
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2040 // Universal Clubs: v16
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2060 // Weapon Styles for All: v16
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2140 // Expanded Dual-Class Options: v16
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2151 // Wear Multiple Protection Items -> No Restrictions: v16
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2170 // Cast Spells from Scrolls (and Other Items)  at Character Level: v16
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2200 // Multi-Class Grandmastery (Weimer): v16
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2210 // True Grandmastery (Baldurdash): v16
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2352 // Alter Multiclass Restrictions -> Install both of the above options: v16
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2360 // Remove Racial Restrictions for Single Classes: v16
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2371 // Alter Dual-class Restrictions -> Allow non-humans to dual-class: v16
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2380 // Remove Racial Restrictions for Kits: v16
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3000 // Higher HP on Level Up -> Maximum: v16
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3012 // Maximum HP for NPCs (the bigg) -> For Party-Joinable NPCs Only: v16
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3031 // Easy Spell Learning -> 100% Learn Spells and No Maximum Cap: v16
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3040 // Make Bags of Holding Bottomless: v16
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3050 // Remove fatigue from restoration spells: v16
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3080 // Unlimited Ammo Stacking: v16
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3090 // Unlimited Gem and Jewelry Stacking: v16
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3100 // Unlimited Potion Stacking: v16
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3110 // Unlimited Scroll Stacking: v16
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3121 // Happy Patch (Party NPCs do not complain about reputation) -> NPCs Can Be Angry About Reputation but Never Leave (Salk): v16
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3125 // Neutral Characters Make Happy Comments at  Mid-Range Reputation: v16
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3190 // Rest Anywhere (Japheth): v16
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #4031 // Consistent Stats: Edwin -> Use BG2 Values: v16
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #4041 // Consistent Stats: Jaheira -> Use BG2 Values: v16
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #4061 // Consistent Stats: Minsc -> Use BG2 Values: v16
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #4071 // Consistent Stats: Viconia -> Use BG2 Values: v16
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #4080 // Make Khalid a Fighter-Mage (Domi): v16
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #4090 // Make Montaron an Assassin (Andyr): v16
~BG1NPC/BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #0 // The BG1 NPC Project: Required Modifications: v22_20150614
~BG1NPC/BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #1 // The BG1 NPC Project: Banters, Quests, and Interjections: v22_20150614
~BG1NPC/BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #9 // The BG1 NPC Project: Ajantis Romance Core (teen content): v22_20150614
~BG1NPC/BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #10 // The BG1 NPC Project: Branwen's Romance Core (teen content): v22_20150614
~BG1NPC/BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #11 // The BG1 NPC Project: Coran's Romance Core (adult content): v22_20150614
~BG1NPC/BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #12 // The BG1 NPC Project: Dynaheir's Romance Core (teen content): v22_20150614
~BG1NPC/BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #13 // The BG1 NPC Project: Shar-Teel Relationship Core (adult content): v22_20150614
~BG1NPC/BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #14 // The BG1 NPC Project: Xan's Romance Core (teen content): v22_20150614
~BG1NPC/BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #15 // The BG1 NPC Project: Female Romance Challenges, Ajantis vs Xan vs Coran: v22_20150614
~BG1NPC/BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #18 // The BG1 NPC Project: Alora's Starting Location -> Alora Starts in Gullykin: v22_20150614
~BG1NPC/BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #20 // The BG1 NPC Project: Eldoth's Starting Location -> Eldoth Starts on the Coast Way: v22_20150614
~BG1NPC/BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #22 // The BG1 NPC Project: Quayle's Starting Location -> Quayle Starts at the Nashkel Carnival: v22_20150614
~BG1NPC/BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #24 // The BG1 NPC Project: Tiax's Starting Location -> Tiax Starts in Beregost: v22_20150614
~BG1NPC/BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #26 // BGEE Banter Timing Tweak: v22_20150614
~BG1NPC/BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #32 // The BG1 NPC Project: Sarevok's Diary Adjustments -> Sarevok's Diary Date Changes only: v22_20150614
~BG1NPC/BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #200 // The BG1 NPC Project: Player-Initiated Dialogues: v22_20150614
~SETUP-WMART.TP2~ #0 #0 // Deidre and Joluv in BG:EE
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #1000 // Initialise mod (all other components require this): v30
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #3030 // Re-introduce potions of extra-healing: v30
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #4040 // Make party members less likely to die irreversibly: v30
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #4050 // Decrease the rate at which reputation improves -> Reputation increases at about 2/3 the normal rate: v30
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #4110 // Allow NPC pairs to separate: v30
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #4120 // NPCs go to inns: v30
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #4140 // Allow Yeslick to use axes: v30
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #5000 // Ease-of-use party AI: v30
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #5010 // Move Boo into Minsc's pack: v30
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #5050 // Stackable ankheg shells, winterwolf pelts and wyvern heads: v30
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #5060 // Ensure Shar-Teel doesn't die in the original challenge: v30
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #5900 // Initialise AI components (required for all tactical and AI components): v30
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6000 // Smarter general AI: v30
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6010 // Better calls for help: v30
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6031 // Smarter Mages -> Mages only cast short-duration spells instantly at start of combat if they are created in sight of the PC: v30
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6041 // Smarter Priests -> Priests only cast short-duration spells instantly at start of combat if they are created in sight of the PC: v30
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6100 // Potions for NPCs -> All of the potions dropped by slain enemies are recoverable: v30
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6300 // Smarter sirines and dryads: v30
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6310 // Slightly harder carrion crawlers: v30
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6320 // Smarter basilisks: v30
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7000 // Improved doppelgangers: v30
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7010 // Tougher Black Talons and Iron Throne guards: v30
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7020 // Improved deployment for parties of assassins: v30
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7040 // Relocated bounty hunters: v30
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7050 // Improved Ulcaster: v30
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7060 // Improved Balduran's Isle: v30
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7070 // Improved Durlag's Tower: v30
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7080 // Improved Demon Cultists: v30
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7090 // Improved Cloakwood Druids: v30
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7100 // Improved Bassilus: v30
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7110 // Improved Drasus party: v30
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7130 // Improved Red Wizards: v30
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7140 // Improved Undercity party: v30
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7200 // Tougher chapter-two end battle: v30
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7210 // Tougher chapter-three end battle: v30
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7220 // Tougher chapter-four end battle: v30
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7230 // Tougher chapter-five end battle: v30
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7250 // Improved final battle: v30
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7900 // Improved minor encounters: v30

• ussnorway likes this

Borco

Borco
  • Members
  • 100 posts

I often read about players in this thread that hunt ankhegs far earlier than I would dare to. I dunno if I am doing something wrong, but I think they are FRIGGIN' NASTY! I mean, Kagain has AC 0 when he has his shield up, but he took damage A LOT. Had to give him plenty from our stock of Goodberries between fights. Tried my sprit animals (I can cast two now) but they got pulverized in, like, two rounds. Then it really went downhill. Should not have saved those extra healers. When Kagain got really hurt, he only received a regular healer and that was not enough:

In my installs, I've always found Sleep spell to be the most effective strategy here, since ankeghs are eligible targets for its effects and also do not disappear under the ground when they fail their save (as opposed to Blindness for example). Even Command: Sleep might be put to a good use with a larger party when facing single monsters.

Regards,

B.

Jianson

Jianson
  • Members
  • 377 posts

Martha, half-elven Totemic Druid, adventuring with Imoen, Kagain, Minsc and Dynaheir

Actually, I hadn't really planned on having Minsc and Dynaheir around anywhere near this long but things have just happened that way. Dyna's Stinking Clouds are just so darn convenient (and, just like that spell does with skeletons, combine perfectly with Martha's spirit animals) and her Fireballs quickly end otherwise boring fights against the low-lifes. For example, if I have an errand at High Hedge, we can stealth bomb two skeleton packs (one close to Kivan's spot going in and one just SSW Thalantyr's building going out) and that's easy 780 XP in just a couple of seconds.

We've done the basilisk map. Minsc dressed in leather and borrowed the stealth boots (so he could sneak better) and was treated with the famous protection scroll. I chose him because he's so efficient taking out the gnoll packs that are also here. He also took out all lesser basilisks that weren't accompanied by greater ones. Some in melee, but mostly just by running away from them and firing arrows. Recruited Korax for the packs with Greater Basilisks. Southern one went perfectly (no damage to Korax) but I had forgotten that Mutamin walks to you if you start attacking the basilisks just east of him. Oops.

Martha033%20Mutamin_zps3erj0h7n.jpg

But mighty Korax saved the day! Mutamin hit him with one Magic Missile before feeling the icy ghoul touch. Found a Robe of the Neutral Archmagi on him. Thought long and hard if I would need it later. Xan, Quayle and possibly (and that's a long stretch) a dualled Safana are the only NPCs that can use it, right? My plans don't involve any of them so I sold if for a whopping 9k gold. Found the Golden Girdle on Kirian, so I suppose the 5% chance of randomly not randomize items had kicked in there. Or possibly that it isn't affect at all by the Randomizer.

Had some unfinished business on the Brage map. Here's an interesting fight:

Martha034%20Baruks%20archers_zps6fpjijck

The fight is so spread out that it can't fit on a single screen. What's happened is that one of the Commandos hit Dynaheir. She retaliated with a Magic Missile (see corpse) and fled SE, out of range from the others. Minsc and Imoen have shot down one archer and are now going for the next. Martha and Kagain go melee to each tame an archer. The one above Kagain is soon going to be Minsc and Imoen's third kill. Kagain got poisoned but as soon as Ba'ruk had died, Dynaheir could go over and use her special ability on him. Martha summoned a Nymph that cast Mass Cure and we got ready for Doomsayer.

Martha035%20Doomsayer%20blasted_zps6ahdi

Aha, so thief traps do not work on him. Probably immune to piercing damage then. It can't be just immune to normal weapons because Flesh Golems are that and Imoen's traps damage them just fine. I also found out that it's lightning immune. Call Lightning did nothing. But as you can see in the screenie, nymph cast Hold Monster and that stuck:

Martha036%20yay%20nymph_zpsrvjjla1k.jpg

Next up were the two coastal maps. As usual for me, Kivan took the Kiss o' Death. Was careful this time to have only one character damage Shoal, so we got to fight her master. I never actually saw him while he was alive, though!

Martha037%20Droth_zpsbzug3qam.jpg

My spirit animals ate him up. Got the traditional Helmet of Defense from him (I think it's at least three campaigns since I last saw it) and also a Domination scroll (the first 5th-level arcane scroll Martha has seen).

Kivan's sea elf quest was a pushover (the sahuagin really are much wussier than I thought. Got a little scare when both of the grunts 'attacks Dynaheir' but they are melee-only and their path to her was clogged up with several people and creatures. Only the chieftain has a crossbow but he starts by attacking Jozzi). The overpowered (for BG1) Boomerang Dagger +2 is now Martha's. She will no longer use regular darts. Just this dagger in one slot (switches to melee when she needs to, even for better AC vs. missiles) and Darts of Stunning/Wounding in the other.

A funny thing happened when we left this map. Before starting the sea elf quest, I did some cheesy metagaming - preparing the battlefield. But I had forgotten on which one of the two small peninsulas near the shipwreck the battle takes place. Imoen had trapped the northern one and Martha had summoned spirit animals on the other. So Imoen had trapped the wrong place, and now that we got waylaid, enough time had passed so that her trapped spot had been re-populated. Apparently, the waylaid map counts as the same one as the one we just left:

Martha038%20waylaid%20with%20bonus%20XP_

So an unexpected extra 1260 XP right in our lap. Sweet.

Lighthouse map had some ups and downs. I helped Sil by killing the pirates. Annoyingly, they stayed within their house, just when I had prepared traps and summons outside. Martha and Kagain took turns battling them, took a lot of damage, had to pull back several times. Used up all my Goodberries in stock. But we won in the end.

Once you've made friends (uh, kinda...) with Sil, the trio of sirines a bit SE of her also becomes neutral (blue circle). I didn't know, since in other games I've always killed them before talking to Sil. Black Alaric's cave gave us the tome of CON and a Robe of the Good Archmagi. Great, that is the best armor in the game for Dynaheir (and later, for Imoen). Kagain received the tome, giving him his regeneration back.

(it was either that, giving Minsc a bunch of extra HPs, or possibly keeping it in reserve in case Imoen has an accident).

You saw earlier that Martha did some tanking duty. Main reason I can now let her do that is that she can wear Ankheg Armour! I had no idea. I knew Beast Masters can but I didn't know about Druids. I mean, she can't wear chainmail or even a small shield...

I did some switching around and checked out the ankheg armor's AC values. For most purposes, one can think of it as a lightweight Plate Mail +2 that can't break. Same bonus (3) vs. slashing weapons, unmodified vs. blunt but then it's better than a Plate Mail +2 (an extra bonus of 1) vs. piercing and missile. So with two of my characters now wearing plate (that has extra bonus vs. slashing) it makes sense to equip them both with Girdles of Bluntness and give the Golden Girdle to Imoen. Minsc was also wearing plate, but his broke in a fight and he's currently in chainmail. He's mostly given up on tanking, he's now a full time archer and 'flank attacker' (hits "over the shoulder" of a tank, using his long halberd). Here is Martha's armor values (and keep in mind that's with no DEX bonus to the AC) when she holds her dagger in melee:

Martha039%20Martha%20the%20tank_zpsivw2h

And HP is starting to build up nicely. She's now a far cry from the wimp that was half dead from two bandit arrows a few of my posts back!

I also really like the 'P&P restrictions' of protection items I run with, where you can toggle a Ring/Amulet/Cloak of Protection to either work as in vanilla (with AC bonus but can't be worn together with magical armor or with other items of protection) or "switch off" the AC bonus but can be worn alongside those items. So here Martha wears a Ring of Protection (for the saves bonuses) along with the ankheg plate. A save vs. spells of 11 means she saves half the time against spells with unmodded save, right? That's not very comforting...better keep the dwarf (if anyone!) up front against spellcasters!

I confronted Tenya (sided with her, although I actually think that neither side is without blame in this matter...) and did some more shopping at 18 rep/19 CHA. Finally bought the Shadow Armor, then also bought some Acid Arrows (Thalantyr), scroll of Skull Trap, assorted potions from different places (elixir of health, extra healing, explosions, invisibility), Scolls of Emotion and Greater Malison from Ulgoth's Beard. 

I didn't know if Tenya would award us with a reputation point but I was pretty certain Wenric the farmer would later. So it was now time to kill an innocent, to secure further company with the grumpy dwarf. (I do not like this aspect of the game, probably going to install a mod component that prevents evil chars from leaving at super high rep for my next playthrough.)

But who? My first pick was Firebead back in Beregost. Nice reward, but no loss of rep. Huh? I was pretty sure I would be hit by one there. OK, who's next?

Martha040%20Dushai%20spells_zpsn9dpi7sq.

That's a pretty impressive spellbook! Add Mirror Image and another Stoneskin that's already been cast, plus the Chaos she's already released. Looks like a level 9/10 Cleric/Illusionist to me...

But the power of the cold damage from a spirit wolf is great. Causes casting failures right through the Stoneskins. She was soon overpowered, but Dushai was here the least of my problems! Us attacking her turned Ike hostile, plus the female commoner a bit more to the left. Once Dushai was dead, I had a rampaging spirit bear I could not control (could it have been the Chaos? I don't know). Main mistake (other than perhaps trying this in the first place) was that I kept most of my party inside the tavern. When Ike fled in there, the bartender also turned hostile, he went outside and was promptly killed by the bear. 

Rep was now down to 6. I managed to move the spirit wolf to the right, out of sight of any hostiles and I had to keep restraining the nymph that kept Dimension Dooring after those civilians. I moved the rest of the party outside, so at least Ike (who got hit once by the bear but survived) would go inside and stay there: 

Martha041%20hostility_zpssbtqk6jl.jpg

Bear shambled over to the women to the left and killed her, too. Rep down to 4. 

I had no idea if I would be able to quickly kill my bear with spells and arrows, so I did something else. I gave Minsc an Oil of Speed and had him rush over and try to physically just be in the way of the bear's passage. But thankfully, it could not see any more hostiles. Nymph timed out, and even more thankfully, THIS GUY remained neutral:

Martha042%20calm_zpshvy1cdef.jpg

We could now leave this map. Phew! Such is the nature when you do adventurous things in no-reloads runs. There might suddenly be a need for major damage control. 

Got the rep up to 11 with temple donations.

So I will miss out on some sweet stuff the bartender still had for sale, mainly 5 Polymorph bolts and a scroll of Improved Invisibility. And for the record, Dushai didn't drop her famous ring (blame Hard Times), just a Free Action potion, two healing potions, a Web scroll and some minor treasures. And barkeep dropped like 3 gold...

Martha has levelled up to 8 (hit a nice 6 on the d8, so now her four last rolls have been 6 or higher) and, apart from some small unfinished businesses on some maps, I now need to ponder what to do next.

My planned endgame companions are Imoen (dualled to Conjurer at level 9 (yes, I think I've learned how to accomplish this with ShadowKeeper)), Kagain, Eldoth and Skie, with the 6th slot open for quest NPCs and special guest stars. To make him not lag behind too much, I really want to recruit Eldoth soon (Cloakwood 1-4 are open from the start in my game) but those improved Phase Spiders scare me. I really want Imoen to still be a Thief in Cloakwood Mines. Martha will reach level 9 around 20k XP (per character) before Imoen does, so I suppose my window is there. Complete chapters 2-3 soon (probably doing bandit Camp the sneaky way, maybe borrow Viccy/Branwen for a Sanctuary looting of the chest). The Cleric/Thieves assassins can be dealt with by making sure I face them outside Feldepost's. Martha can drink a Free Action potion if Hold Persons are coming her way, and Imoen and Dyna can go back inside when the Unholy Blights start dropping. Minsc will have to take them like a man...

Say goodbye to Minsc and Dynaheir, skip nearly all Cloakwood quests/maps for later, make a beeline for the Mines (pick up Eldoth along the way). How to get past the phase spiders? Pixie Dust! Then probably use my Protection from Poison scroll on Kagain so we get rid of them.

And a question about Eldoth: does he have a timer on when to rescue Skie, or can I take my sweet time with that?

• ussnorway, Serg BlackStrider, Grond0 and 3 others like this

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts

In my installs, I've always found Sleep spell to be the most effective strategy here, since ankeghs are eligible targets for its effects and also do not disappear under the ground when they fail their save (as opposed to Blindness for example). Even Command: Sleep might be put to a good use with a larger party when facing single monsters.

Regards,

B.

Just two minutes ago, I was in the ankheg burrows. Most of them slept immediately after casting the spell once. However the one near the treasure saved FOUR times in succession. I am wondering if there is a variable that causes this and that it would have saved no matter how many times I cast it. Perhaps after three tries, I should have tried blindness to give me a chance to escape safely without having to use expensive healing potions. Now at the FAI for R&R. "I'll be back!"

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

And a question about Eldoth: does he have a timer on when to rescue Skie, or can I take my sweet time with that?

I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think any timer starts until / unless you enter the area where Skie is - you then only have 1 day to get Skie though.

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts

Started a new run. Since I found level 1 dragon disciples excessively weak, I have decided to run Winifred again with a dragon disciple sidekick.

It should be a challenge without being ridiculous.

Baldr001.png

Baldr072.jpg

Wyrmspawn and I must be the most unusual duo around. Here am I, an inquisitor who is dedicated to the killing of dragons having as my best friend one who has a goodly portion of dragon’s blood in her veins.

Wyrmspawn occasionally brings me down to earth with her practicality. She tries to stop me becoming too rigid with regard to being lawful. For instance, just before we set off from Candlekeep, she suggested that I break into some of the chests there to enable us to buy better equipment.

This I did. However I was caught and had to pay the guard a fine of one gold piece. I then emptied the chest which had goods worth more than 100 gold pieces.

I began to see Wyrmspawn’s point.

I therefore tried breaking into another chest. This time the guard was not as understanding and the last one and beat me sorely with his whip. This did ease my guilt somewhat, and what he did afterwards made me feel REALLY good.

Hull also helped remove some of my stress in ways that were a little more conventional.

As suggested by Gorion, after the ambush we made our way to the Friendly Arms Inn. However there we were accosted by a mage assassin. Wyrmspawn managed to cast a blindness spell and I cast true sight just as he cast sleep.

The result was that Wyrmspawn slept and the mage was blinded. I managed to kill him without too much difficulty thereafter.

http://i1108.photobu...wn/Baldr067.jpg[/IMG]

Thinking that there could be more assassins inside we went on our way, killing hobgoblins and returning Joia's ring. Further North we killed a zombie who was pestering his ex-wife and agreed to deal with a priestess who was causing problems to some fishermen.

She put me to sleep, so it was them up to Wyrmspawn. She managed to bring her to the negotiating table and we discovered that the fishermen were as much to blame as she was. We managed to solve the problem without bloodshed. :)

http://i1108.photobu...wn/Baldr068.jpg[/IMG]

As we left the area, we were attacked by an ankheg. Wyrmspawn cast blindness, and we were able to depart without injury. We headed south to Beregost where we calmed down Marl and took a book to Firebead before heading south again. We were accosted by ogrillon who were easy to deal with after they had been blinded.

http://i1108.photobu...wn/Baldr069.jpg[/IMG]

Heading east, we tried to help Mellicamp but failed, so we continued eastwards and came across Shoal. She deceitfully killed Wyrmspawn but by brute force managed to "persuade" her to raise her again. We were then attacked by Shoal's mate and the battle was fierce. However once he had run out of spells, I just kept out of reach shooting arrows at him until he died. I used the same tactic against his mate.

http://i1108.photobu...wn/Baldr070.jpg[/IMG]

http://i1108.photobu...wn/Baldr071.jpg

• ussnorway, Charlestonian Knight Templar and Dyara like this

Dyara

Dyara
  • Members
  • 330 posts

Dyara, elven Fighter/Mage/Thief (update 1)

At the Cloakwood forest Dyara had to fight some druids, she became attacked by Phase Spiders over and over again, she entered the spider queen's lair...

Spoiler

... she became ambushed by some amazons...

Spoiler

... but all that couldn't keep her from eventually finding the mine. The four mercenaries were killed using backstabs (Drasus, Genthore) and acid arrows (Rezdan, Kysus)...

Spoiler

... although Dyara had to learn that a 'Chaos' spell isn't blocked by 'Minor Spell Deflection' (fortunately Kysus proved to be a real gentleman as he did not abuse the awkward situation). The guards on the lower levels of the mine didn't put up much resistance.

Among the installed mods is also the Thalantyr Item Upgrade mod. So far Thalantyr has made a Ring of Protection+2 (recipe: 2x Ring of Protection+1, diamond, 2x pearl, 4000 gold) and a 'Ring of Free Action +2' (merges Ring of Free Action and Ring of Protection+2; recipe: Ring of Free Action, Ring of Protection+2, Potion of Defense, Potion of Freedom, 4000 gold). However this improved Ring of Free Action does not cancel existing haste effects (iirc that's how it was in the original game) and the ring can be equipped together with magical armor or other protection items (cloak, amulet or another ring). I think that's a little bit too much so I changed that and I also modified the ring so that existing haste effects are canceled when the ring is equipped (I replaced the existing effects with the effects from the ring of free action).

I doubt I will upgrade many other items because most items seem much too powerful for my taste... for example very early in the game you could let Thalantyr make a 'Girdle of Bravery': STR+1, AC +3, Regeneration 1HP/round from just the three AC belts, some potions and 5000 gold.

In the following fight Davaeorn called for help and lots of guards appeared but a rather stupid AI scripting made them surrounding their master instead for example searching for an intruder...

Spoiler

Once the two Battle Horrors were taken care of Dyara casted a Web spell into the crowd followed by some thrown explosives and fireballs...

Spoiler

Only Davaeorn survived, he became poisoned by an arrow of biting and then he was dead...

Spoiler

Via High Hedge where Thalantyr merged 'The Paws of the Cheetah' and the 'Worn Whispers' into the 'Boots of the Thief...

Spoiler

... Dyara went to Baldur's Gate. There she joined the Thieves' Guild, she saved Tremain's son Casson, she fought the guards at Degrodel's house...

Spoiler

... she found old Balduran's Helm and Cloak, she fell into the sewers twice (by accident), she freed a nymph, she killed lots of doppelgangers both at the Seven Suns and the Merchant League, she fought four wizards at the Sorcerous Sundries (using darts of wounding to poison them and then shooting them with her bow one-by-one)...

Spoiler

... she read three tomes, she helped Scar (twice) and Aldeth Sashenstar, she became poisoned, a servant in Oberon's house and was introduced to Duke Eltan.

Name     Level                HP     Game Kills XP  Game Kills  Strongest Kill   Deaths         Pips
Dyara    F(6)/M(6)/T(7)     63(+5)     368,810         757      Greater Basilisk -              Longsword(**), TWF(**), Flail(**)

To be continued...

• ussnorway, Serg BlackStrider, Grond0 and 2 others like this

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

Gate70/Grond0 multiplayer attempt 96 - (update 1)

Cara, elf enchanter (Grond0) & Helberg, dwarven defender (Gate70)

With some time to kill after the end of our 95th pairing we generated a new random couple of characters and made a start.

Progress to date has followed pretty standard practice - Shoal, Beregost, Nashkel (Helberg picking up his first armour there), Meilum and the basilisks.  Cara has mainly used LMD and sleep to provide support for Helberg's more heavy-handed tactics.  The dwarf used defensive stance for the first time against Meilum - particularly at early levels that carries danger as the 50% movement penalty makes it difficult to break off a fight, but Helberg was in a 'no surrender, no retreat' mood and triumphed.

Spoiler

Helberg broke a number of axes early on and decided to have a go at Bassilus in order to get a more durable weapon.  The +2 saving throw bonus from defensive stance helped him save against an initial hold person, but he succumbed to a follow-up attempt.  However, by that time Bassilus was already badly wounded and Cara was able to finish him off with LMDs and wand magic missiles before there was any danger of the dwarf running out of HPs.  

Spoiler

In the same area Cara was surprised at how effective her sleep spell was against Zargal and his cronies.

Spoiler

At the basilisk area the monsters were quickly killed by Helberg using the green scroll (Cara preferring that to her own spells as there's no danger of forgetting to recast ;)).  Mutamin did successfully scare the dwarf, but the movement penalty from defensive stance meant he didn't wander far and was able to soak up acid arrows while Cara finished off Mutamin with LMDs.  

Spoiler

That got Cara to level 5 and a trip to High Hedge provided her with some new spells before returning to pick on Kirian.  She was the only one scared by an opening horror, but that meant the others were conveniently lined up for Helberg to plow through before going to find Kirian and finish the job. 

Spoiler

Cara%20L5_zpszwhgmpbt.jpg

Helberg%20L5_zpsenlj9twp.jpg

Stats:

Cara, enchanter 5, 23 HPs, 16 kills

Helberg, dwarven defender 5, 65 HPs, 67 kills, 0 deaths

• ussnorway, Serg BlackStrider, Charlestonian Knight Templar and 2 others like this