Photo

Baldur's Gate 2 No-Reload Challenge

• Please log in to reply
15228 replies to this topic

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
Brang the barbarian. Travelling with Varmer the cavalier, Elyid the fighter/illusionist, Jan and Viconia.

On investigating the nearby tombs we find the Crypt King. The dawn ring is uncomfotable so I return it, then Elyid inquires about a guarded compound nearby.

Sion and Ketta offer a challenge, so we accept. The group downstairs are no challenge but Varmer and I could do with some healing. We glug three healing potions between us, add a few buffs then Jan turns us invisible. Up we go to have a look.

I have glugged three healing potions while Varmer defends the party. Malison, confusion and slow plus Mate's are taking their toll and soon any resistance is broken.

I consider the Flail of Easthaven. Good but not my immediate priority and it appears we must look outside the city gates for something more to my style. On the way we are drawn towards a hidden lich, theny Varmer and I stop (fireshield avoidance) for a monent as it casts timestop

Varmer, Jan and I switch to a pit fiend, leaving Elyid and Viconia with the lich. A meteor storm sees us glugging potions, but repeat damage will force Jan any Elyid to retreat in moments. Before that though, Elyid destroys the lich.

I join Elyid and Jan as the Namarra sword is ineffective. Viconia has avoided taking damage so helps Varmer (3 healing glugs) and Lilacor outlast the meteor storm to defeat the pit fiend.

On to Trademeet and a druid grove. We have no weapons to kill trolls so memorise a larger number of suitable spells before continuing, only for a dozen spiders to appear. We fight them off but Varmer, Elyid and I have all taken significant injury (not got a real tank up and running yet) so decide to rest again.

Edited by Gate70, 21 July 2012 - 09:58 AM.

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
Brang the barbarian. Travelling with Varmer the cavalier, Elyid the fighter/illusionist, Jan and Viconia.

A troll mound is carefully dealt with, the same for a group of trolls attacking some druids (no druids left to fight as the trolls killed them) because a greater earth elemental had badly wounded both Varmer and myself.

Kyland Lind and his druids suffer from greater malison, slow and silence then we find something unexpected on a bridge (thanks to SCS II minor encounters). Luckily Varmer has chaotic commands active and I am enraged.

We're having so much fun I don't notice my enrage wear off and confusion set in. Fortunately Viconia casts dispel and I re-enrage as Varmer retreats to avoid the dispel. He moves forward to take the battle to the additional spore colonies while I stay back and help cull the myconids. He has to glug three healing potions before the battle is over as two ice trolls have joined in.

Two larger trolls are killed then we spot a baby wyvern, backtracking to find there are three of them. Between the greater earth elemental, spore colonies and baby wyverns this druid grove does indeed seem disturbed.

You've got to get up early in the morning to fool Jan. They don't last long, but we are glad to have rested before continuing. I need a few seconds to cast DUHM so Viconia summons a berserk warrior and this is enough to foil a shambling mound.

I am dual-wielding Daystar/Belm, Elyid is using Celestial Fury and Varmer still has Lilacor. This is bad news for two more shambling mounds

Two more spore colonies; Belm helps me wipe one out before my four companions can deal with the other. Cernd joins us for the next two encounters, mentioning that the grove has not always been this way. Indeed not, but I have enjoyed it.

Several grizzly bears are ahead, so Cernd has a third battle to observe. Once they are done we allow him to summon a wolf to help defeat Dalok and his two fellow druids. I review his spellbook as I know more about druidry than he does (...!), then we rest before entering the druid enclave.

Cernd could be in trouble here so we give him a bit of advice. Iron skins, bless, barkskin, protection from fear/fire, haste, chaotic commands, flame blade, death ward, protected from evil...that sort of thing. He summons a nymph, hits Faldorn once, dooms her and then the nymph holds her. Two sets of insects, a pair of dogs and then a shapeshift to tear Faldorn limb from limb. Impressive (but not good enough to remain with us).

Beloo Jansen is waiting for us at Trademeet, Jan must return home soon so hand the head of Ihtafeer in and depart. Elyid is mumbling about an efreeti bottle but I don't have the inclination for that, particularly when Jan asks us to speak to his uncle and we are sent on a wild sausage chase.

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts

"The Hidden" has agreed to heal a child if we take care of some seekers, and Jan has even helped (although the snare is wrongly credited to Viconia). Soon afterwards we have Jan back in the party.

Back to Trademeet where Jan decides his sculpture is a little excessive. The skin dancers are eliminated, and a mantle returned to the mayor. Varmer and I argue over who can go shopping (Brang 18 charisma with a ring, Varmer 19 with a helm). Elyid grabs both, casts friends (charisma 25) so our middling reputation (15) allows reasonable prices for a dwarven throwing hammer, cloak of displacement and belt of inertia. We can cross Trademeet off our list now.

The equipment change means the party order changes. I'm relegated to the back with my dwarven thrower, while Elyid is front-woman. She's got Celestial Fury and Belm; anything over her head will run into Varmer/Lilacor. Jan has his Flasher Launcher while Viconia has the Sling of Seeking and Mace of Disruption.

Tarnor the Hatchetman has picked the wrong fight. Gaius is doing well, removing Elyid's buffs and stunning her. By this time only he and Gallchobhair are active though (Rengaard and Zorl held by Viconia, Tarnor hammered, Draug Fea held by Jan and slung by Viconia.

Viconia has tried to cast remove paralysis on Elyid but the incantation lasts longer than our opponents and we are left wondering if protection from evil is preventing Viconia from completing her spell or if something else happened. Elyid recovers, loots the corpses then asks why Viconia is still casting. Hmm.

A group of kobolds led by a rakshasa are next, and a cloak of the sewers is retrieved. Brang suspects a little experimentation with this may deliver interesting results.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

Gate70 wrote...
Back to Trademeet where Jan decides his sculpture is a little excessive. The skin dancers are eliminated, and a mantle returned to the mayor. Varmer and I argue over who can go shopping (Brang 18 charisma with a ring, Varmer 19 with a helm). Elyid grabs both, casts friends (charisma 25) so our middling reputation (15) allows reasonable prices for a dwarven throwing hammer, cloak of displacement and belt of inertia. We can cross Trademeet off our list now.

Nice work Gate70 - keep it going.  Just for the benefit of others I'll mention that prices are capped at charisma 20, which is very easily achieved by any character (ring + cloak or sword or friends).

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts

Jan tries to dispel the buffs of an elemental lich, failing but removing the buffs of Elyid, himself, Viconia and myself (positions approximately as screenshot below). A pit fiend immediately scares me and I run into the meteor swarm aimed at Jan. He almost dies, I'm slightly healthier but we run to the other end of the tomb. The pit fiend chases after me as the protection from evil has also gone. We kill it, heal Jan slightly and only then does Varmer advise he has killed the lich.

I've had enough of being at the back so stow my hammer and equip Daystar/Belm before heading to Umar Hills. After killing a killer mimic we recruit Valygar only to dump him outside the planar sphere.

The shadow temple ruins to the north of Umar Hills is our next stop. We play loose and fast, but make fair progress until Jan spots four tougher enemies and we draw straws to see who will play target. Somebody with an AC of 11 is going to get hit a lot.

It's working so well, what could possibly go wrong? We redouble our efforts, then rest so Viconia can raise the diseased one.

This rat death deters us from trying it against the shadow dragon. Instead we plan an alternate approach which doesn't start off too well. Protection from magic weapons means My hammer, Varmer's flail, Elyid's katanas, Jan's Mate's and Viconia's bullets bounce. Varmer glugs a minor potion by mistake so has to move until he can glug a stronger brew. Doom and greater malison have both been resisted but a second malison takes effect as our weapons start to bite. Viconia has recalled spells but doom isn't one of them so she aims her sling again. Jan fails with a second hold monster and chromatic orb. Varmer has to step away, only for Elyid to be buffeted instead of becoming the target. Varmer keeps circling while waiting for Elyid to return and is blinded for his efforts.

Elyid is back and Varmer stumbles towards the noise of battle. With the dragon pre-occupied Varmer switches to Lilacor and attacks. Jan hits with a flame arrow and the dragon totters but remains at near death. We hit it some more but Jan finishes the battle with a Melf's Acid Arrow. As we buff to continue Varmer realises he could have cast doom when Viconia could not.

Shade Lord Improved Shade Lord
I wrote this up and then lost it, key points are Shade Lord protected so try a Sunray 1 Elyid killed by Patrick  2  Patrick killed by Varmer but Shade Lord draining us at random and casting other debilitating spells 3 Unable to enrage, no potions, see a FoD cast at Brang and reliant on saving throws 4

Forgot this was improved and paid the price. Might have fared better with a rest and full buff, could have retreated but chose not to and too late when I saw the Shade Lord re-buff and FoD. Might continue in minimal reload, or might go back to Candlekeep.

Edited by Gate70, 23 July 2012 - 08:13 PM.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
Tough break there Gate70. Is it just my imagination, or have a number of your reload attempts failed to a FoD? If you do decide to continue, look forward to your company in the minimal reload thread.

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
I can't remember Corey, so many deaths... :) Managed it 2nd time - the group level drain isn't nice with a party (mine were between 800k-1m xp) but nobody died. The sunstone bullets dropped the altar quickly, the rest started on Patrick and left the lord until last so I'm sure a better approach exists and will check if ussnorway had this installed & played in her last run.
Edit: I can't be certain as her posts from 3 months ago don't mention it but it looks as though the clever way to do this is with several more levels of experience. Makes sense.

Edited by Gate70, 23 July 2012 - 09:11 PM.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
The Improved Shade Lord is a lot harder than the original. It is immune to the destroy undead effects of IMoD and Azuredge and buffs make it difficult to hit otherwise. As you've noticed it also has some constantly renewing spells that are annoying. De-buffers like pierce magic and breach can provide you with a window of opportunity to hit it and there are also short periods when its protection from magic weapons is down (but to take advantage of that you would really need your main character to be immune to its spell effects).

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
The Improved Shade Lord sounds like an excellent task for Keldorn - have Keldorn do a dispel magic (which works as twice his level), which would remove most of the Lord's buffs, then whack it dead.

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
Yes, a few inquisitor dispels would have been very handy although I don't think a party with 1-2 more levels would have even noticed the battle.

BelgarathMTH

BelgarathMTH
  • Members
  • 1,008 posts
Okay, inspired by the pending promise of BG:EE, I am starting a BG2 run which will make BG:EE into a prequel, if all goes well. This is my first entry into a no-reload thread, and I have no delusions that this will last past the entry to the Underdark or thereabouts. My goal is to make either the Underdark or Firkraag here, and then to move this run into the minimal reload thread.

This is vanilla Gog.com BG2, with one portrait-enhancing mod only.

My story idea, as roleplaying is always a huge deal to me, is to be a male Avariel, thrown down and mutilated as Aerie. She will become my soul mate, as we share our woundedness and grievous loss. In this story world, Avariel are widely hunted and maimed by jealous evil elves and half-elves and humans. Severed Avariel wings are prized as bounty, much like elephant tusks in real life. For starting in the prequel of BG1, eventually, we will assume that I was cut as a baby by Bhalist cultists, and rescued by Gorion.

This character, as most of my characters, will be named simply "Todd", as per my real life moniker.
Here's the character sheet:
Posted Image

Edited by BelgarathMTH, 26 July 2012 - 01:47 AM.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Best of luck BelgarathMTH - should be interesting having 2 cleric/mages in the party!

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,558 posts
Yes. Safe travels, BelgarathMTH!

ussnorway

ussnorway
  • Members
  • 2,350 posts
Gate70 I used 'Repulse Undead' to keep him away until Patrick died... but you could also have Viconia 'Turn' the adds to your side (and attack the lord) while you kill the Altar.

BelgarathMTH good luck... nice pic!

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
Good luck Belgarath. Who knows, you may suprise yourself. Picenon sure surprised me, getting as far as he did solo, and only finally being stopped by Balthazar.

BelgarathMTH

BelgarathMTH
  • Members
  • 1,008 posts
Update:

I haven't played BG2 in a while, and I always used to use "Dungeon-Be-Gone", so I'm actually having a lot of fun with Irry's dungeon.

Did the usual business so far, collecting equipment and using the golem stone. Used Jaheira with +1 staff to tank the Otyugh while Imoen and I magic missiled and chromatic orbed the thing to death. Got rid of all the traps, yada, yada, collected equipment, got the dryads' quests. Combining Imoen's detect trap with Jaheira's find traps spell is of great help in reinforcing and guaranteeing against trap detection accidents.

Got to the Cambion room, debated with myself about the risk. Decided to go for it. Between Imoen and me, cast haste, strength on Jaheira, stoneskin for Imo, mirror images on both of us just in case. It actually went pretty smoothly.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Kind of cheesed it against the mephits guarding the djinn. I usually justify metagame knowledge by playing either a diviner or a cleric of Oghma, such that I "know" things or am warned by my god. Soooo.... Imoen and I cast two fireballs and I cast two holy smite into the staging area. Move along, folks, nothing else to see here. LOL

So then, bottom level quests complete, we proceded to the portal room. My strategy was to cast fireball and web into the room, with str on Jaheira and haste, then use ranged weapons. This did not go as hoped. The web hindered my party as much as the mephits, and I wound up with three sleeping party members and only Imoen and me to finish. Our magic and Imo's shortbow managed to win the day, perhaps with some help from Oghma.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

More on this as it develops. (any other Newsroom fans out there?)

signing off - may or may not take some more pictures and do another report tonight. I continue to be constantly amazed at how fun this game is after all these years. No other game I've ever played, especially in the last decade, comes close.

EDIT: Hookay, did the usual yada yada and got to the surface. Started collecting the party I want. Went to the Coronet and agreed to raise 20,000 gp to enlist the help of the Shadow Thieves. Went into the Coronet and hired Anomen (hey, I *like* the guy. A lot. A pox on Ano haters.)  Got Nalia's and Firkraag's quests.)

Went to the Gov District. Bought a license to practice magic for 5,000 gold. Picked up Jan Jansen (another personal fave. I hear his voice and demeanor as Wallace Shawn as the Grand Nagus from DS9.)

Said a little prayer and tried to return to the Promenade (another DS9 reference) unmolested. No such luck. Got attacked by Suna. Jan got fried and killed almost immediately by a lighting bolt while attempting to cast stoneskin and run back. I got mirror image cast and then managed to get a haste and a silence cast. My silence pretty much saved the day. No more casting. With the haste, the rest was almost laughably easy. 

Posted Image

So we at last got back to the Promenade. Tomorrow, I will start by collecting my soul mate, Aerie. Yoshimo will go bye-bye as soon as I get her. Ciao.

Edited by BelgarathMTH, 27 July 2012 - 02:03 AM.

ussnorway

ussnorway
  • Members
  • 2,350 posts
UD1;

@BelgarathMTH Surviving your first ambush is a rite of passage we all have to face but doing it whilst putting up with Prate-man is really impressive... well done.

Crawling;

Posted Image  Posted Image  Posted Image

I enjoyed the company of my druid sister... and her nymph proved useful against some of the encounters. After reaching the light I kicked Yoshimo & Minsc then sold the loot for just over 5,000 gold before visiting the slums.

Baby steps;

I payed for my magic licence and found some likeminded adventures named Nalia/ Viconia (keeping) as well as Anomen/ Jan (temporary) then set off on my first expedition to find a murderer named Valygar but I got side tracked into negotiating a peace between the good town folk of Umar hills and some monster accused of killing innocents... as it turned out they weren’t to blame and we travelled deep into evils heart to rescue young Mazzy (kicked the prate) before evading our way back To Umar hills.

Nalia was getting restless so we said good bye to Jan & grabbed Valygar (apparently not a murderer)... collected a nice shield from Madulf and set off to evict trolls instead.

Finally some real Questing:

I found a ‘Familiar’ scroll next to the FoA forge and asked Vicky to grab some weapons from the vault. Basic de'Arnise Keep tactics are Valygar scouts ahead then Nalia brings the rain... I know that I’m a little under geared when finding a standard “helm” for Valygar gets me excited. :wub:

The final boss was tougher than we expected but still just a trolls brain... we lured him away from his lackeys and bashed him down. Mazzy had to retreat at one point to save her modesty when the cad started undressing her but Valygar took over the tanking while she healed herself and switched to shortbow... I think it’s only fitting that Nalia got in the killing blow against TorGal before declaring me as the keeps new ruler.

My current party is Pc = Skald level 11, Nalia = Thief 4 –D- Mage 10, Viconia = Cleric 9, Valygar = Stalker 8, Mazzy = Fighter 8 & Jaheira = Fighter 8/ Druid 10.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
Keep it up, USSNOrway and Belgarath...Trendan will get an update soon, maybe in the week-end...

BelgarathMTH

BelgarathMTH
  • Members
  • 1,008 posts
@UssNorway : LOL, I *love* your character's name and portrait. I don't think I've ever seen you play a bard before. If it's not too forward to ask, your forum portrait is female, and yet I see you playing male characters mostly. Just so I can get the right pronouns in my head when I think of you, would you mind revealing your gender?

UPDATE:

I want to try to keep this short and sweet tonight. Rescued Aerie. Decided I had better fight my way out of Athkatla, because I'm worried to death about Minsc's timer to get to Imnesvale (boy caught us in gov district), which I remember as being a very short fuse.

First try to get out, got smacked with the poisoned Renfield and the thug party caught in the act. So many spells flew around here I can hardly summarize it with clear detail. Reminded me of the USA national anthem as far as "rockets red glare and bombs bursting in air." As much as I can remember, there were magic missiles and hold persons and stinking clouds and holy smites and insect swarms lighting up the screen like a July 4th fireworks display. Quite thrilling to have so many magicals in my party, actually. Only muggle is Minsc, who will be Aerie's and my warder. (Really hers, but since I will be her husband, eventually....)

I tried to get some good shots of the fireworks, but I don't think I succeeded. (UssNorway, since you are obviously an expert at good photos, is the fact that I have pause on cast activated hurting me in my photography? Jan, Aerie, and I got a few triple magic missiles cast a couple of times, I really wanted a shot of the fireworks, but I think the game pausing three times in a row may be hampering that goal. Some advice?)

Here's what little I could capture on film:

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Took Renfield to the harper complex, agreed to help Monty and Xzar so I could do the mission later, and tried to get out of town again. This time, I was worried about an Orog ambush since I was low on "mana", having not rested, but I got lucky and made Imnesvale.

Did all the yada yada with the wizard/golem/lovestory and pacified Valygar and saved him in his cabin for later. Unfortunately, his ranger guard attacked without listening to our pleas that we had just made peace, and we had to kill them. Did what we needed to in Merella's cabin. Minsc helped us avoid killing a beautiful spotted leopard by charming it. Headed out to dark woods temple area and did the yada yada.

Jaheira has no magic weapon and is using all six first level spell slots filled with Shillelagh. Having three of us able to turn undead made the shade mirror scenario a breeze. Got into the shade lord's dungeon.

Here are what photos I was able to capture in all the excitement:

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

I was going to finish this dungeon tonight, but I'm getting a little tired. I think I'll go back in for at least a bit before bed. Will either add some more to this post, or maybe post tomorrow, not sure right now.

EDIT:

AUUUGH! ACH! AAAAARG! I should have known better than to go back in there for a "quick" few minutes! DISASTER!

LOL. This is kind of a comedy of errors, now. I got Jaheira killed against a bone golem. And, in studying my own photos, I have really got to stop casting magic missiles against skelly warriors and bone golems, since they don't do anything against those particular monstrosities. Here's the one photo I managed to snap before I had to fight for my life with the rest of us:

Posted Image

<sigh> And then.... I had to go back to Athkatla to get Jaheira raised. I went straight to the temple district, only to find out that we didn't have enough money, and would have to go back to the Promenade to sell some stuff. And then... I got hit by two messengers: Aerie's, starting a second timer that will require us to visit both the circus and the Bridge District Playhouse, NOW, and... Ano's, informing us of his sister's untimely death, which will require us to visit the Government District, NOW. ROFL. This game can get rather... complicated... in keeping a party together. And I expect a messenger informing me that I must take Jan NOW to help his family any moment.

LOL. Hooooookay. So, I am going to have to go to sleep and continue this tomorrow. I will have to visit Quayle and take Aerie to the playhouse to talk to Raelis, then take Ano to confront his father about his youth and his sister, and then, hopefully head back out to the ruins of the temple of Amaunator to finish the one mission I've started. LOL. And, I just bet, as soon as I *finally* get back out there, I will get hit with Jan's messenger telling me to go back to Athkatla NOW. LOL. But, <sigh>, I guess that's kind of what makes this game so much fun, no?

Edited by BelgarathMTH, 28 July 2012 - 02:05 AM.

ussnorway

ussnorway
  • Members
  • 2,350 posts
I’m a me (1st), female (2nd) or she if you must use the 3rd person... I must type in a husky voice because you’re like the third person to ask me that question this month.

I tend to alternate between genders so that the romance stories stay fresh i.e. Female – male- female... the last character was Ormaline (female elf) and Valando is (dishy) male. :wub:

I’d give Jaheira the “Staff of Arundel” (extra 5&6 level spell) for my pick & visiting Quayle will keep Aerie happy until after the prate talks to his dad... As for photography advice? I take screenshots by the dozens & personally find the pause helps because you can get ready but you will develop a sense for it after a while.

Edited by ussnorway, 28 July 2012 - 06:04 AM.

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts

BelgarathMTH wrote...
I had to go back to Athkatla to get Jaheira raised.

What level are Anomen and Aerie - too low to raise dead? Isn't that a 5th level spell so only requires 225k xp for level 9 and I'd have thought your party was into that zone?

BelgarathMTH

BelgarathMTH
  • Members
  • 1,008 posts
@Gate : Nope, I've just started my run, and Umar Hills is first. (Because of Minsc and his boy). Aerie and I are both multi-class, and Ano isn't there yet either. Only Jaheira has access to one fifth level spell slot, and...wouldn't you know it, she's the one that fell.

UPDATE, 7/28/2012, 3:15 p.m. EST

Did what I had to with character timers - Ano has seen his dad, Aerie has spoken to Raelis Shae (not doing so will cause the infamous Aerie stutter bug when she tries to remind you to go to the playhouse.) Still no sign of Jan's timer messenger. I think his is more generous than Minsc's, Ano's and Aerie's.

Went back to Umar Hills module and finished it. Battle with the Shade Lord was really easy with three people who can turn undead. (Isn't there a roll to succeed based on character level? So two or three doing it gets two or three rolls?)

Went back to Athkatla and finished the intitial phase of the Copper Coronet module. (Up through defeat of Beastmaster and restoration of Hendak.) Too bad none of us can use the Tuigan Bow.

(in character) - Minsc managed to charm the beautiful and exotic cat, Tabitha! This poor cat had been abused into being an attack cat by the evil Beastmaster. Minsc managed to get her into a cage and slam the door shut. He also managed it with one more great cat, a leopard. Tragically, we were forced to euthanize the panther and all the bears. I actually saw Minsc start to cry as we finished the combat against the animal-abuser. Jaheira, Aerie, and I started to cry as well. Jan didn't cry, but later tried to soothe us with a story of pet chickens and wyverns. Only Ano didn't seem to understand our grief.

(still in character) - We freed the slaves and gladiators, then paid the newly freed owner of the Coronet, Hendak, to keep the animals in the back and finance their feeding and rehabilitation until they can be released back into the wild. Jaheira and Minsc have agreed to spend as much time as possible on the rehabilitation. I think that Jaheira's magical connection with nature and animals will speed up the process, such that these poor, noble creatures can return to their natural lives much more quickly than muggles could do it, and before something terrible happens to us as we continue to try to raise more money to free Imoen.

(still in character) - I think that Minsc, in his uncanny ability to control animals, may not be as complete a muggle as I had thought. He actually managed to magically heal a wound the other day! It seems that we all, including Minsc and my sorely missed Imoen, have magic to be nurtured and educated. Hendak was so moved by our concern for the animals and the gold we spent for their care, that he gave Minsc an obviously magical, pink-glowing axe! Minsc hasn't had a lot of practice throwing axes, but he was ecstatic with the gift. Lately, he can't put it down!

Okay, now out of character (OOC). Here are the screenshots I took. About the first four of them are me trying to catch a triple magic missile in the air from Jan, Aerie, and me. No luck - one has less than a second to catch 15 magic missiles in the air on "film". One of the shots shows Minsc succeeding at charming Tabitha. We used a cocktail of magic to make all this pretty darn easy - haste, DUHM, strength, emotion, hold person, chaos, and lots of heals.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Lots more time and energy to play today. Will probably be back later...I don't like to try to remember too much narrative and "photography" at once here. 

EDIT: Forgot to say, I handled the (first?) orog ambush while moving about Athkatla taking care of character timers.

Edited by BelgarathMTH, 28 July 2012 - 08:11 PM.

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
Ah, OK. If you go to Umar Hills and start the quest (speak to the mayor) Minsc shouldn't then complain again (I think) meaning you can spend a bit of time preparing. I dislike the timers - as you say they usually all go at once with vampires, muggers and Renfeld thrown in too.

BelgarathMTH

BelgarathMTH
  • Members
  • 1,008 posts
Left off at the beginning of the slaver ship.
Posted Image

EDIT: Will do more later. Ciao. No more posting late at night, I think. LOL

Edited by BelgarathMTH, 29 July 2012 - 09:01 AM.

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
Grond0/Gate70 multiplayer attempt 8

First, how the previous 7 have failed.
1 Nawgrim and Peer. Charname stupidly killed by trapped container in Brynnlaw
2 Nadir and Kaxir. Companion laughably chunked by Spellhold greater mummy while in inventory
3 Berserker and Cavalier. No link, berserker killed Mirianne's ogres then died from 15hp rage expiry.
4 Boor and Perry. Thaxxy chunks companion then chunks charname
5 Scion and Cyill. Charname needlessly steps into beholder/gauth range while companion has everything in hand
6 Mayse and Khazad. Charname needlessly tries to melee mind flayers and is stunned then drained
7 Bubble and Fomin. Companion imprisoned by Kangaxx while sanctuaried

Pendal (Gate70) and Thimble (Grond0), gnome fighter illusionists have successfully multiplayered BG1 only to be trilogied by Mae'Var (clip of BGT cut-scene for those who haven't seen it).

Imoen frees us, handing over the golden pantaloons before saying we can find our own way out. Sure, it's not as though we'll stumble over anything nasty or un-natural

Some people are just no fun at the circus.

Here's an example of trouble with myconids. It started well with shapeshifts but I switched to spider without realising how frequently confusion happens. (Grond0 is having a huge sense of deja-vu as the Icewind Dale multiplayer run (below) saw my character confused, held, killed). Grond0 saved the day by switching from jelly to spider (then possibly to ogre or flind) and back to jelly.

There is no evidence of the Copper Coronet being freed, or of Haegan being taken out of the slavery trade, but we know it has happened and is history. Nor any mention of repeated efforts to get into Watchers Keep, finally defeating two vampiric mists at about the seventh attempt. n.b. Pendal has belatedly cast summon familiar, almost losing it to the mists (1 hit = 18 damage) when foolishly trying out the immunity to level drain.

Time for a rest and a bit more of the Ten Towns Icewind Dale tome they've been reading between fights.

Tropp (gnome fighter / thief, Gate70) and Grouch (dwarf fighter, Grond0).

Dorns Deep. Tropp is held and killed by myconids, causing a major inventory problem for Grouch. Eventually he kills four ettins and uses a body (of the razorvine apprentice) to hold excess items until Tropp is raised. This area is a pain because of the respawning myconids and ettins. & the dead companion.

Dorns Deep - Upper level. A welcoming party doesn't last too long, sorcerers, spellswords and archers allowing themselves to be cut down a few at a time. Tropp uses Presio's dagger to backstab several neo-orog generals so Grouch can finish them with arrows.

Tropp Fighter 9 / Thief 11. 568 kills (+51 today), Presio.
Grouch Fighter 11. 861 kills (+134 today), Yxunomei.

Pendal F8/I9. 212 BG1 kills. 76 BG2 kills. Ulvaryl.
Thimble F8/I9. 196 BG1 kills. 125 BG2 kills. (Angelo).

Edited by Gate70, 29 July 2012 - 01:37 AM.