Photo

Baldur's Gate 2 No-Reload Challenge

• Please log in to reply
15228 replies to this topic

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,558 posts

Well I'll be damned! Thanks for this info Serg.
What readme did you use? It certainly isn't mentioned here.

This one.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

@Blackraven that's not the readme for the latest version.  

Readme is at: http://avenger981.gi...me_atweaks.html

Download mod at: http://www.shsforums...ory/99-atweaks/

Edit: I didn't notice Serg had already put an answer on the next page :unsure:.

Blackraven

Blackraven
  • Members
  • 1,377 posts

Thanks Grond0 and Serg, for clearing things up.

Nymand, Elven Bounty Hunter, 5th and final update

Dispatching powerful undead such as Greater Mummies, and slaying his first dragon, Nymand got overconfident again. This time, it cost him his life. 

Greedy for XP, Maze traps and powerful items, Nymand agreed to work for Aran Linvail, and then he went Lich hunting. Initially this went well. Protection from Undead, potion buffs, strategic positioning and patience allowed him to deal with both the Shade Lich and the Elemental Lich. (apparently no screenshot of the Elemental Lich.)
Kangaxx the Lich was also dealt with, thanks to spell-absorbing summons and the same strategy (copious amounts of potions + positioning near the exit).Next was Kangaxx the Demilich. Nymand was buffed with potions of Speed, Clarity and Fire Protection, and managed to dodge most spells. He didn't suffer any real damage until his buffs were removed and a triggered Flame Arrow hit him. His uninjured foe seemed to have run out of his most dangerous spells, Nymand thought as he shrugged off a Horror thanks to his potion of Clarity, but then Kangaxx started throwing Emotions at him. The first one was saved against; the second however took effect. Kangaxx cast a Cloudkill on Nymand, leaving the rogue to die while the demi-lich went trapping the souls of innocent bystanders.

This was the first time ever that I had a charname take on SCS Kangaxx without PfUndead or PfMagic. I didn't really know what was going to happen. It's a pity I realized too late that Nymand's potion of clarity wouldn't protect him against Emotion: Hopelessness' sleep effect. I somehow had the mistaken notion in my head that potion of clarity protects against all the BG1 status effects minus Hold/Stun. It's been an enjoyable ride, and I can see myself give Nymand a second chance in the future.

I seriously doubt whether I have it in me to complete a no-reload trilogy run. There always something that escapes my attention, something I forget about, or something I simply didn't know... But I guess part of the fun for me is to try and surpass my own expectations.

• Grimwald the Wise likes this

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts

Hard Luck Blackraven.

You will eventually prevail, but then, when you do, like others, you will add mods to make it harder.

Blackraven

Blackraven
  • Members
  • 1,377 posts

Hard Luck Blackraven.

You will eventually prevail, but then, when you do, like others, you will add mods to make it harder.

In fact I'm already using mods (like SCS, Ascension, aTweaks, and others). Perhaps therein lies my problem ;) Either way, I like those mods. Thanks nevertheless Grimwald.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

@Blackraven: I must say I am a fan of PfMagic for Kangaxx. Not certain PfUndead works in SCS though...

It just takes time Blackraven, to learn the "gotchas" of any given run. You like solo runs, and there's even more to learn for soloers than party play. I think it took me a few years before I had my first trilogy success.

But even if I don't succeed, I have fun, and if that works for you...

• Blackraven likes this

Aasim

Aasim
  • Members
  • 1,361 posts

. Not certain PfUndead works in SCS though...

Depending on setup options, he can use Spellstrike to get rid of PfM scroll. 

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

I seriously doubt whether I have it in me to complete a no-reload trilogy run. There always something that escapes my attention, something I forget about, or something I simply didn't know... But I guess part of the fun for me is to try and surpass my own expectations.

That just depends on how much you want to.  Undoubtedly you could do it if you concentrate on doing that - rather than doing crazy things like attacking Kangaxx with an unprotected solo character.  Of course you may think doing crazy things is more attractive than just completing the game - a viewpoint I would have a lot of sympathy with ...

Blackraven

Blackraven
  • Members
  • 1,377 posts

Thanks everyone. I've lost neither hope nor patience :)

rather than doing crazy things like attacking Kangaxx with an unprotected solo character.  Of course you may think doing crazy things is more attractive than just completing the game - a viewpoint I would have a lot of sympathy with ...

The thing with Kangaxx is that it's either supereasy (PfMagic), or it's very dangerous and exciting... Due to lack of meta-game knowledge, I wasn't fully aware how crazy as you call it, it was going to be (which in itself is probably crazy enough in solo no-reload). I think I somehow want to make things difficult for myself, so that I can smile at my narrow escapes or feel more satisfied about how I handle certain situations. I love the adrenaline.
I think it's time to recycle Teyl, my Neutral Evil Strifeleader of Cyric/Thief. He's definitely one to follow the path of least resistance in any given situation in order to accomplish his devious goals.

Re: PfUndead, I don't know how well it works in SCS. The Elemental and Shade Liches summoned demons, while Nymand was PfUndead, is that normal behavior?

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts

That just depends on how much you want to.  Undoubtedly you could do it if you concentrate on doing that - rather than doing crazy things like attacking Kangaxx with an unprotected solo character.  Of course you may think doing crazy things is more attractive than just completing the game - a viewpoint I would have a lot of sympathy with ...

I agree wholeheartedly. It is probably the reason why I have only completed the trilogy no-re-loads once.

ussnorway

ussnorway
  • Members
  • 2,350 posts

Bg2 run update 2S1.21,

Hear text as mp3,

Upstairs – downstairs; by Sarah,

It’s been a week for ambushes but we will persevere, I attended the graduation then helped the church make a statue (after Puk upgraded his mace) & rescued a dawn ring. We got ambushed twice during this which made Jan jumpy so he reset his contingency to summon pets on enemy seen then sure enough some anti-magic fanatics (used magic to) ambush us in my own home… idiots. Their leader proved easy to find and Mazzy made quick work of his ‘Dispel’ using guards as he was sucked into another dimension.

2s-baldr115.jpg2s-baldr117.jpg

I now have three groups promising to send me assistance against Bodhi but Imoen wanted the sword from the lich downstairs… “stay up here guys” says I:
• I descend and go all slayer on his ass but then he time stops, pops a couple of M-swords and dispels my claws.
• I didn’t want to use up more reputation points so I dismissed his swords with a ‘Death’ and fired my sequencer at him… two ‘Ice Storm’s and a ‘Spell Thrust’.
• At this point lich boy decides to escape the aoe by going up stairs but I can’t follow him because of some magic barrier… that’s new?

2s-baldr118.jpg2s-baldr120.jpg

2s-baldr121.jpg2s-baldr123.jpg

2s-baldr124.jpg2s-baldr125.jpg

2s-baldr126.jpg

Puk cloaked * to safely hit him with ‘False Dawn’ and then a ‘Nature's Beauty’ which took some of the fight out of the git then Mazzy and Sarah bashed him down as I ran around downstairs trying to avoid the pet genies.

* These two spells are handy because they don’t break stealth so his spells don’t get interrupted by in coming targeted damage.

p.s. The new barrier looks like its an Scs bug: All in all it was a fun battle… buggy as hell but I had a ball.

• Blackraven likes this

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts

Diary of Duagloth Dyrr the drow paladin

After sorting out the circus problem, I was given a lamp.

No doubt everything will become clear in time.

I and Yasraena after doing some shopping, mainly containers, went to the slum area where we were attacked my muggers.

Nothing unusual there. It happens all the time.

However this one had a wisdom increasing potion which I took as it brought my wisdom up to 18.

If I find any others like it they will be given to a priest or cleric as having received such wisdom, I have come to the conclusion that others can use it better than I.

The same cannot be said if I find an intelligence increasing potion.

I am intelligent enough to know that my intelligence leaves a lot to be desired and a ruffian in the Copper Coronet said as much when I took on Amalas.

I won, so perhaps it is he who lacked intelligence. :lol:

EDIT

I am beginning to get quite sensitive about my intelligence.

Somebody else also think me stupid!

Baldr000.jpg

At least I now know a bit more about the lamp.

• ussnorway and Blackraven like this

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

• At this point lich boy decides to escape the aoe by going up stairs but I can’t follow him because of some magic barrier… that’s new?

p.s. The new barrier looks like its an Scs bug: All in all it was a fun battle… buggy as hell but I had a ball.

The barrier itself has always been there in SCS, but I agree that the lich leaving without letting you do so seems buggy.  Well done for surviving a difficult situation :D

• Grimwald the Wise and Blackraven like this

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

Re: PfUndead, I don't know how well it works in SCS. 

Not very well I think is the answer.  Quite apart from demons they also have a nasty habit of casting dispel / remove magic to get rid of the protection.  That's not necessarily too bad against other liches, but my first experience of the City Gates lich with SCS proved fatal thanks to the barrier ussnorway refers to above.

• Blackraven likes this

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Delilah - human cavalier (update 1)

Delilah is underway in Amn.  Thus far she has:
- escaped the dungeon.  Her relatively poor saving throws were highlighted there when she was rendered unconscious 3 times by the radiant mephit in the portal room before eventually getting the chance to destroy the portal (she was still only down to about 50% HPs though).
- restored the circus.
- handed over the Copper Coronet to Hendak.
- used PfU to get Daystar from the City Gates lich and clear the graveyard.  
- used the RoAC for the first time on Pai'Na.
- dealt with the Suna Seni and Renfeld ambushes

RecordL10_zpsdc2fc91f.jpg

• ussnorway likes this

ussnorway

ussnorway
  • Members
  • 2,350 posts

Delilah is underway in Amn.  Thus far she has:

Good luck to you (her)... I get she is a pally but 20 rep already?

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

That's the impact of BGT - the game simply continues after Sarevok's death, so she retains all the reputation earned in BG1.

Aasim

Aasim
  • Members
  • 1,361 posts

GL further Grond0. Be joining you guys later today..

• Blackraven likes this

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Thanks Aasim.  I'll look forward to seeing your latest lightning run.

Delilah - human cavalier (update 2)

Delilah has made further progress this morning as shown below.  That's been generally untroubled and a bit quicker and easier than I'm used to with a kensai - most of the time Delilah simply attacks in melee, rather than moving around constantly to minimise retaliations.
- upgrading her armour courtesy of Officer Dirth.
- tracked down the kidnappers and collected a ransom.
- used a potion of speed and Azuredge to save Sansuki.
- returned Renfeld and did Xzar's quest (using RoAC again on Prebek & Sanasha).
- beat up the genies at Trademeet (Kitthix absorbing a couple of petrification attempts in the process).
- took a flying visit to Watcher's Keep to get the potion case.
- opened up access to the Unseeing Eye (killing a rakshasa in the process).
- used PfU to kill the remaining liches and get the Ring of Gaxx.  Had to use not just the RoAC, but a stoneform potion as well to protect against the petrification trap.
- solved the skinner murders (and used another potion of speed to deal with Tanova and a couple of other intruding vampires).
- got Tarnor's gang to chase her and get defeated in detail.
- beat up Mekrath and his umber hulk guards (using Shield of Harmony).
- invaded the de'Arnise Hold in support of Nalia.  The only encounter there that didn't go to plan was when Glaicas did rather more damage than I expected - Delilah was about to have to retreat when she found a critical to finish him off.
- paid Gaelan Bayle and ran through Aran Linvail's tasks.
- in the Planar Prison Delilah failed to kill the Warden in her assault under cover of thralls and summons and had to quickly take a potion of stoneform to ensure she was protected against Finger of Death after her improved invisibility was dispelled.  She also got to level 15 there (providing the opportunity for a skeleton warrior to help her in future).

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

Gate70/Grond0 multiplayer attempt 66 - (update 2)

Chanter, half-elf cleric / mage (Grond0) & Tuori, halfling shadowdancer (Gate70)

A combination of lots of lag, intermittent speech contact and some dodgy play made this another challenging session, but the duo emerged from it with no further deaths and strengthened by their experiences.

We'd deliberately left the characters outside Gaelan Bayles house in order to make clear how we would start the session and we did, eventually, remember to pay him.  That quickly led to the first problem of the session, however, when Chanter carelessly ran into sight of the mad cleric outside the thieves guild.  I thought she would have plenty of time to summon the golem while hold person was being cast, but that proved not to be the case and Tuori had to come and perform a rescue act.

Soon after it was Tuori's turn to be in trouble when he entered Prebek's house in the shadows, only to find that by the time lag allowed him to be controlled he was in sight - and shortly after was held.  Chanter then entered the house and sprayed a cloudkill around, which did enough to win the day.

The turn-taking continued with another mage encounter with Rayic Gethras.  The plan was for Tuori to attract Rayic's attention while Chanter cast cloudkill on him.  She would then run downstairs while Tuori pulled a disappearing act - hopefully leaving Rayic in the cloud.  The lag made timing difficult though and probably Rayic saw Chanter after Tuori disappeared.  In any case there was a nasty shock when I was monitoring the action upstairs to check how much damage Rayic had taken, only to find that Chanter had been stunned.  Tuori hurried across the room to come downstairs and used acid arrows to disrupt a couple of spells before PW: stun wore off and Chanter brought out the golem to settle the matter.

The remainder of Mae'Var's tasks were done and the duo (finally) had no trouble in invading the guild and killing Mae'Var.  They then turned their attention to the liches.  In the preparations for that Tuori was a bit eager to disarm the petrification trap on the lich's house in the Bridge District - but saved anyway.  Killing the liches while protected by PfU went smoothly though - Kangaxx's morale broke and he tried to make a run for it, but found he was blocked in by the duo's positioning and had to settle for dying.

Back in the Bridge Tuori picked up the berserker horn while Chanter solved the skinner murders.  The assault on the Rune Assassins wasn't well co-ordinated and Chanter found her improved invisibility had disappeared before going down - thus missing out on an easy kill for the ghasts.  However, after some running round they triumphed anyway - Tuori finishing with a backstab there (although the Rune Assassins can see through invisibility, they are still vulnerable to backstabs by invisible creatures attacking from the correct position).

Looking to improve their reputation the next stop was Trademeet.  The genies didn't last long against skeletons and backstabs, opening the route to the Grove.  There the efreeti made a couple of appearances against trolls, but his AI leaves something to be desired in BG2EE - throwing fireballs at the nearest opposition (who are normally fighting with your characters) tends not to be the best option.  However, both of us survived and skeleton summons proved more controllable in working through the rest of the area in order to allow Cernd to show his moves against Faldorn.  Back in Trademeet Tiris received a helping hand and the tomb was cleared for more reputation.

Once more in Amn the duo undertook the Sir Sarles quest.  That led to Chanter receiving a final warning from the Cowled Wizards after using invisibility to wait until the Ore Merchant reappeared, but she is still stubbornly avoiding purchasing a license.

Stats:

Chanter, cleric 10 / mage 11, 72 HPs (incl. 5 from Helm), 132 kills (138 in BG1)

Tuori, shadowdancer 15, 79 HPs, 85 kills (128 in BG1), 1 death (2 in BG1)

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts

In the government district we were asked by a boy to help in the Umar Hills.

There we were asked to help at Trollford.

Upon going there we helped a lovesick boy and met up with an extra-solarian girl called Tyris Flare. She has no prejudice against drow and seems a good sort so we allowed her into our party.

Upon exploring, we came across an area called Eshpurta.

It is seemingly full of monsters such as trolls and giants.

We killed trolls and giants and decided to leave those problems until later.

We then tried to sort out the problems with the Shade Lord, but Tyris Flare got held and subsequently killed. We therefore returned to the city where Jaheira joined us and brought her back to life.

Upon going to the inn, Jaheira was cursed and it took us some time to remove it. Once she was fully recovered we left her near the Harper stronghold.

We returned to kill the Shade Lord where we joined up with Mazzy, a paladin and Krondor a priest of helm. We then returned to Amn to pick up Nalia.

• ussnorway and Blackraven like this

ussnorway

ussnorway
  • Members
  • 2,350 posts

I need a ruling guys... I went to the grave yard and Sarah doesn't get taken. The new version of her mod has new varibles and her romance bugged out... I can repair this script easy but that would mean reloading the grave yard to allow Bodhi another shot at her.

p.s. The g3 Sarah help page is incorrect about the romance global being ~SetGlobal("omgBbqRomanceActive","GLOBAL", 2)~ :wub:

The correct global is "K#SarahRomanceActive"

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

Sounds to me like you should feel free to play it either way - so reload if you want Sarah to get more accustomed to the dark side.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Delilah - human cavalier (update 3)

Delilah has pushed on this morning and done the following - again mostly without trouble:
- completed the Sir Sarles quest and forged the iMoD.
- destroyed the Fallen Paladins.
- set things to rights in Umar. The fight with Thaxy was more difficult than I expected thanks to a significant slowdown on Delilah's actions.  However, Ilbratha mirrors lasted just long enough to allow her to finish the dragon off after her summons had been eliminated.
- bought the Shield of Balduran and used that to get to the Unseeing Eye, along with Vhailor's Helm used on the lich on the way.  He also gained the ability to summon a deva there.
- used a protection from magic scroll to get the berserker horn, take down the Twisted Rune and deal with Captain Dennis and his mercenaries.
- recovered the Dawn Ring for Lathander.
- permanently grounded the Planar Sphere easily enough, staying behind summons when spells were being thrown around.
- back at Trademeet Delilah quickly bulldozed her way through the Grove before helping Tiris and clearing the tomb.

She's just arrived in Windspear ready to pursue her paladin heritage next time.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

@USSNorway - I don't see a problem reloading in your case. While it might be a slightly gray area, the issue you bring up is more a bug than not, so I would say go for it.

• ussnorway, Grimwald the Wise and Blackraven like this