Photo

Baldur's Gate 2 No-Reload Challenge

• Please log in to reply
15228 replies to this topic

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

No mods, but I think what happened is that true sight dispelled the sanctuary.  Although you wouldn't really expect that to happen from the spell description I think that's standard behaviour for the game.

• Grimwald the Wise likes this

Blackraven

Blackraven
  • Members
  • 1,377 posts

Hmm well, never had that, but I shall consider myself warned (for my new Cleric/Thief playthrough).

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

@Grond0/Gate70: Sorry to hear of your MP demise. Perhaps you guys can be less greedy and just pay the 5K license? This is not the first time the Cowlies have taken you guys out...but, I suppose if you prefer to live dangerously, not paying fits that bill...

• Grimwald the Wise and Blackraven like this

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts

Whilst I know that it is possible to play the game without paying the 5000 gp. I never do simply because I know that sooner or later I will make a mistake.

• Blackraven likes this

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

I intentionally didn't pay one time - and my group was eventually killed by Cowlies. If I have any arcane, I make it a point to pay when I can, it's very easy to forget the consequences, especially if there's a lot of time between sessions.

• Blackraven likes this

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts

I didn't realise that learning a spell, not just casting a spell attracted their notice. :(

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Delilah - human cavalier (update 5)

Emerging from Spellhold, Delilah briefly took ship with Saemon before being deposited in the City of Caverns.  There were no problems there in convincing the Spectator to hand over its treasure, then killing both the King and Prince.

In the Underdark she soon helped some svirfneblin with a balor before clearing the kuo-toa tunnels.  The Prince there withstood several GWWs with the help of a higher than expected number of critical misses, but 2 Gaxx hastes finally overcame his regeneration.  The beholder area was also cleared without trouble - the deva stunning the elder orb there before it could try any imprisonment.  Even the illithid area was completed without any alarms - nearly all the illithid dying to ranged attacks, the majority using deathblow.

After talking to Adalon Delilah entered Ust Natha and did a bit of shopping.  A deva soaked up attacks while she dealt with the N'ashtar ambush, then another deva and deathblow made short work of the mindflayers to rescue Phaere.  The remaining tasks in the city didn't take long and Delilah watched the demon kill Phaere and the matron mother before quickly leaving.

I was tempted to kill Adalon so that Delilah could get the flesh armour (in order to be able to get over 100% MR), but I suspect that she would lose her cavalier powers if she became evil and left that to try on another occasion.  Instead Delilah just left the Underdark invisibly and returned to Athkatla.

• Blackraven likes this

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

I didn't realise that learning a spell, not just casting a spell attracted their notice. :(

Don't think I've come across that one - is that the result of a mod?

• Grimwald the Wise likes this

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

You are correct Grond0, if you become evil in hell you become a fallen paladin and lose all your paladin abilities (that actually happened to Russell V - but he had a party of paladins, so they made up the difference in that case - your cavalier doesn't have that cushion).

• Grond0 likes this

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Delilah - human cavalier (update 6)

Back in Athkatla Delilah picked up stored equipment before going to sort out the vampires.  Killing the ones on the top floor got her to her 34th and final level before she made mincemeat of Bodhi for the last time.

She went to Suldanesselar and was working her way through there with minimal fighting when she found the girdle of stone giant strength - which reminded her she had still got the girdle of frost giant strength.  Although they're not vital she did take a quick trip to Athkatla in order to forge Crom Faeyr and the Wave.

Back in Suldanesselar she wasted a bit of time trying to use the bugged Azuredge on Nizi before wading in to finish the dragon off with the FoA.  She then raised the Avatar and moved on to the palace to access the Tree of Life.  She left a skeleton warrior behind for Irenicus while going to kill the parasites.  After that drew out Jon's initial assault a single deva was sufficient to finish him off while Delilah waited out of sight.

In hell Delilah stuck to being Miss Goodie-Goodie - a shame as I am very fond of the Blackrazor sword.  She picked up immunity to +1 weapons, 10% MR, +2 to saving throws, 20% elemental resistance and +1 to wisdom and charisma.  For the final battle with Irenicus she withdrew immediately when the fight commenced and then used Azuredge GWWs to deal with the chasing balors before beating up the glabrezus in melee.  After regenerating a bit of damage the efreeti was sent in to soak up a death spell; Delilah then let some Slayer buffs expire before doing a bit of damage with missile attacks under cover of 2 skeleton warriors.  Finally she produced a deva which ran Jon round for a while until Azuredge had carved away the shell of the Slayer from Jon's body and his protests were in vain as he was sucked down to the burning lake.

• Blackraven likes this

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts

Diary of Duagloth Dyrr the drow paladin

Spent some time clearing my in-tray, such tasks as the bridge street muders, the people being buried before they were dead, the paladin who was remorseful because he didn't protect a boy, taking spiderbane to the druid, and now in Trollford. Killed three giants there plus a load of cyclops etc. There were a few proficiency increasing vials in there too.

The party were strong enough for this.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Delilah - human cavalier (update 7)

Delilah has made significant inroads this morning into ToB, though with one near-death experience on the way.

She started off by shrugging aside Illasera's challenge.  She then arrived in the Pocket Plane, where I realised she'd forgotten to pick up the +2 cloak of protection from Fish City, so won't be able to benefit from the buffs that would normally provide - oh well, she hardly uses buffs anyway.  After the unfortunate experience with Duke Eltan's physical mirror in my last pocket plane challenge, this time Delilah stuck to melee and won without any fuss.

Moving on to Saradush some vampires in the prison bit off more than they could chew.  Delilah tried forcing open a container there and found she hadn't got Crom Faeyr.  That's odd after she went back specially to Athkatla to forge it - possibly her inventory was full and she dropped it when it was handed back to her?  A cloud giant strength potion allowed her to get Flar's scabbard before she invaded the palace.  She entered Gromnir's room invisibly and summoned some help before attacking and hacking down Gromnir (using Carsomyr for the first time on one of the mages during the fight).

At this point she took a side trip to Watcher's Keep.  I normally do the top level at much lower level and there were far more statues there than I'm used to, but they were still done without any trouble to get Foebane.  Downstairs, Delilah nearly became another victim of my inexperience with Watcher's Keep.  After the Guardian of Air and all but one of the elementals had been killed without any difficulty, I was surprised when she was rendered unconscious by a lesser air elemental whirlwind and she took a lot of damage before being able to run away.  I should have used lay on hands immediately, but just ran and Delilah nearly died in the same way as one of my kensais when she ran over a trap that had somehow not triggered earlier (I did run backwards and forwards over this area subsequently to confirm that it wasn't a repeating trap).  After recovering she moved on to the poison room, where she used the Greenstone Amulet for protection against stun while dealing with the Giant Snake.  She then picked up the poison flail head and left.

After upgrading Foebane and the FoA Delilah went after Yaga-Shura.  Fresh from her narrow escape she took things easy at the Temple of Mir by using a PfU scroll.  Entering the Fire Temple she then used fire and blunt resistance to tank the greeting committee of giants - topping up HPs as necessary with Foebane GWWs.  She worked her way through the rooms easily enough without resting and moved upstairs.  Berenn and most of his giant friends there were Azuredged while they attempted to get through a small gap in the wall.  Delilah picked up the hearts, but didn't bother with Imix, just in case she wandered into a maze trap.

After giving Nyalee the hearts (and making her regret her change of heart), Delilah travelled to the Siege Camp.  After wounding Yaga-Sura she went invisible and successfully used Yaga's ability to see invisible to lure the giant away from his men - a single GWW was then enough to shred him.

Back in the pocket plane a couple of skeleton warriors joined a deva and Delilah also made a rare use of the simmy to ensure she could finish off her clone quickly in the second challenge - the other enemies then didn't last long either.

At the Oasis Delilah just cut down Jamis before running on through to travel on to Amkethran.  She helped the smugglers there and bought K'logarath before leaving.  She's just arrived at Abazigal's Lair.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Delilah - human cavalier (update 8)

I decided (like every true paladin), that Delilah should have a dragon before breakfast so carried on with the same session for a bit longer.  Delilah was doubly successful in that aim, though Draconis put up a real struggle.

At Abazigal's Lair Delilah produced a couple of skeleton warriors before going to find Draconis.  Her immunity to weapons meant the human form offered no threat and she was soon doing a runner from the dragon that appeared.  However, the first nasty surprise was when she found that Draconis' death field had reached all the way to the entrance where her skeletons had turned into piles of bones.  She produced the simmy to provide an alternative distraction, but without the opportunity to buff that didn't last long.  Delilah also had to take a potion of invulnerability after being malisoned, but then tried to outlast the dragon in a straight melee fight using GWWs.  That looked like being successful when I thought one more hit would finish him off, while Delilah still had enough HPs to survive 1 (possibly 2) hits - but Draconis went invisible, moved away, healed and put up a fresh stoneskin.

Delilah responded by taking her first potion of speed for a long time and running round staying ahead of the dragon while regenerating and getting the occasional HP boost from a Foebane attack on the invisible stalkers.  Once healed she used a potion of power, made a first use of stoneskin from the Gargoyle boots, put up Ilbratha mirrors and engaged again.  Carsomyr dealt with stoneskin, but once more Draconis disappeared when badly injured.  This time she used invisibility purge from Dragonslayer and though Draconis put up a fresh stoneskin, he didn't heal before she engaged again.  A renewed GWW starting with Carsomyr did a bit more damage, but Draconis quickly buffeted Delilah away.  She tried again - but again the dragon went invisible; fortunately, though, this time she managed to track him fairly well and he attacked again rather than healing.  Another GWW was interrupted by a buffet, but Delilah wasn't rendered unconscious and returned quickly to get a fatal blow in - just as well as she only had one GWW and one WW left at that point.

She had no problems with the tunnels and soon moved on to confront Abazigal.  After killing the salamanders she summoned a skeleton warrior and then ran round Abazigal's human form, throwing axes, until he had had enough.  Then, when the dragon appeared, Delilah brought out a deva to occupy it while she changed her boots and took a potion of speed.  The deva and skeleton warrior did a good job of tanking and a couple of GWWs, only briefly interrupted by a buffet, were sufficient to account for another dragon casualty.

After upgrading the FoA Delilah went to deal with the third challenge.  Once more she pre-summoned 2 skeleton warriors, a deva and her simmy to give the Slayer no chance.

• Serg BlackStrider likes this

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts

Good luck Grond0.

Blaggerd & the Two Handed gang, Nexus 7.

Keldorn is stunned by the welcoming committee and is the first to die in the Planar Prison. Jaheira raises him, doing the same for Minsc and Dorn after the Master of Thralls holds and kills them. The Master of Thralls only failed to hold Blaggerd and Keldorn, the inquisitor struggling to stay alive while the Blackguard was never in any danger. Two wild dogs are sent towards the Warden with the party following a round or two later. There isn't much to tidy up, just a pair of salamanders and a confused Warden who dies almost immediately.

Edit: Forgot to mention. Blaggerd acquired some decent armour from Officer Dirth, meaning Jaheira was cursed by Baron Ployer. Dorn and Blaggerd poisoned both Ployer and his mages before doing the first two tasks for Aran Linvail.

Transfer to iPad...

Haer'Dalis winces as his swords are sold, picking up a quarterstaff and 2 handed sword +1 instead. Blaggerd heads towards Umar so Minsc stops complaining about not helping Delon, but instead of continuing to an abandoned temple diverts to Trademeet where Keldorn is stoned by a Dao Djinn. A nearby temple has stone to flesh scrolls so the Inquisitor soon rejoins the party. With this done the pace can be eased off and Blaggerd heads to Watchers Keep for a potion case followed by a return to town for a scroll container, managing to free Hendak at the same time. 

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Delilah - human cavalier (update 9)

Delilah is closing in on god-hood, with only Melissan still standing in her way.

At the start of the session she traded in various bits of clothing to get the Big Metal Unit + blowpipe & accessories before moving on to Sendai's enclave.  On arrival there a pre-emptive strike on the drow finished them off before they could cause any trouble and Delilah moved on into the enclave proper.  Invisibility took her straight through to grab a key from Thelyn'ss and then on to seek out Odamaron - a single shot from Azuredge was enough for him.

A couple of FoA GWWs finished Ogremoch before summons helped Delilah pin the Hive Mother against the wall ready for a kill.  The same happened to Captain Egeissag and the illithid only detained Delilah and a distracting deva briefly.

She rested back in the pocket plane before moving on to confront Sendai herself. She donned the BMU for most of the fight there, which made her very difficult to hit in melee, while her saves and cloak protected against most magic - she stayed at range against casters to protect against maze and harm. She saved a deva for the final battle with Sendai and a dispel from that proved effective against one set of her buffs and several K'logarath GWWs chased her teleporting figure around the arena until they eventually overcame her repeated stoneskins.

Returning to the Pocket Plane, Delilah upgraded the Holy Avenger and the Sword of Mask.  Wearing the Gargoyle Boots she then smacked down a few backstabbers in the fourth challenge before leaving the pocket plane for the last time.

Arriving in Amkethran she got a lift into the compound with Saemon before nipping into the palace before the ambushers could stop her.  With the FoA providing free action and a low AC Balthazar stood no chance against her and a single GWW killed him just as the simmy arrived in support.

The fifth challenge was as easy as I've ever known it.  The Ravager found it difficult to hit the simmy and 6 FoA GWWs from it, together with the same number of K'logarath ones from Delilah saw her past the penultimate hurdle.

ussnorway

ussnorway
  • Members
  • 2,350 posts

Bg2 run update 2S1.23,

Hear text as mp3,

There be-dragons here: by Sarah,

The 10 day started well enough, with a quick trip to the Mart and some frantic scrolling I managed to push myself into the heights of 17th level… not that I needed it to dispatch the shadow dragon. Two lightning bolt wands and some magic missiles made very short work of him.

2s-baldr131.jpg2s-baldr134.jpg

I was feeling confident, so we paid big-red a visit and everything was going ‘clock work roses’ when he wing-buffed my party against the wall I found myself facing the fangs single handed… time for a slayer change?

I’m not really sure what happened next but whatever it was stunned me and triggered the invincibility of my ‘Otiluke's Resilient Sphere’ that no doubt would have saved me from taking any more damage… if only I wasn’t already deceased!

2s-baldr135.jpg2s-baldr136.jpg

After action review:

My mistake was a basic one, fighting in a single row enabled Fredrick to take out my tanks with a single wing-buff then he pounced on Sarah… Mages don’t do well in melee so I should have held Puk back (casting spells) and then he could have stepped in after the buff instead of Sarah going slayer which, as it turns out, takes far too long sometimes.

Blackraven

Blackraven
  • Members
  • 1,377 posts

Ah USSNorway, I'm very sorry to see you run end there... :( 

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts

Ah USSNorway, I'm very sorry to see you run end there... :( 

I agree. She was doing so well too.

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts

Diary of Duagloth Dyrr the drow paladin

Started to do Dark Side Quests.

The first in the Trollford Hills was easy.

Baldr023.jpg

The second at Eshpurta, going into the Troll Mountains was anything but! It started OK but ended VERY dangerously!

Baldr024.jpg

The dragon went invisible every time I attempted to reduce MR or cast Breach. We had to exit in order to resurrect my cleric who was then able to resurrect some more. Raising him made me decidedly poor!

We went in again and this time was able to lower magic resistance, Pierce Magic and Breach.

Again resurrection was needed. :(

However we survived and since I have never fought that dragon before, I am quite chuffed.

• Gate70 and Blackraven like this

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts

I'm sure Firky will pay next time... and the time after that...

• Grimwald the Wise and Blackraven like this

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts

Cromwell can't make anything with the blue dragon scales. Does anyone know if they are useful?

Just discovered that they are useful in ToB.

If I already have some scales from "The Darkest Day" does that mean that I will be able to make two sets of armour, or will scarcity of other items preclude this?

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Sorry to hear that USSNorway - I've lost some runs to Firkraag so I know how that goes - but you are SCS, so he's even tougher...

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts

Baldr025.jpg

Firkraag was a bit easier. Nalia whittled down his defences whilst the buffed fighters whittled down his HP.

Straightforward for once.

Anyone know anything about the golden globe that was given by him?

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

Cromwell can't make anything with the blue dragon scales. Does anyone know if they are useful?

Just discovered that they are useful in ToB.

If I already have some scales from "The Darkest Day" does that mean that I will be able to make two sets of armour, or will scarcity of other items preclude this?

You only need to add cash to convert the scales, so should be able to get a duplicate.  If you want to check on what's needed for items from the original game (i.e. not modded additions), as well as locations to find them, this is a useful site.

http://mikesrpgcenter.com/bgate2/

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Delilah - human cavalier (10th and final update)

Delilah buffed up and headed into the abyss for her final confrontation.  On arrival she immediately withdrew slightly from Melissan and summoned the simmy.  That attacked with GWWs while Delilah stayed back throwing axes.  Mel didn't last long against that combination and there was time for the simmy to destroy Yan-C-Bin and make a start on Mel 2 (getting rid of her stoneskin) before disappearing.  A follow-up GWW and a Gaxx haste from Delilah got Mel to near death and interrupted an attempted heal before she made a run for it.

Delilah used K'logarath on Cryonax.  After finishing off the support troops she used the Staff of Fire for the first time to summon some elementals before confronting Mel's 3rd incarnation.  The movement behind the pillar makes that a bit trickier to judge what's happening and Delilah had to use 3 GWWs and a WW to get her to the point here where she thought Mel was due to leave.  She put in a bit more damage (and took some more herself, including a dose from a blade barrier) before withdrawing thinking that Mel needed a bit of space to herself to produce her exit lines.  Unfortunately Mel didn't act for a second or two and Delilah had just triggered another GWW (leaving her with only 5 left) when Mel pulled her disappearing act.

After waiting around for a while for regeneration to heal her, Delilah started the 3rd pool battle.  Her low AC and immunity to poison allowed her to melee the mariliths while using the reflection shield to protect against the fallen solar.  She then used K'logarath on it - it healed successfully twice, but the third attempt was interrupted, sealing its doom.

Delilah produced some more elementals for the final assault, but they were soon dispersed with a death spell and she brought out a deva instead - and the two of them soon had Mel in trouble.  Her last-ditch attempt to heal failed and the solar put a stop to the combat a second or two later with Delilah still having 2 GWWs in reserve.

With her evil enemies destroyed Delilah ultimately chose to remain mortal.

As with all my solo characters Delilah used no healing potions (or any other item-based healing) during her run - though she did on the odd occasion make use of lay on hands during battle.

Edit 1: scrap the above.  I rolled up a replacement character and realised when they levelled up that I had set game difficulty to normal last night to test HP allocation mechanics and not re-set it.  Fortunately I did take a save immediately before going to meet Mel, so will have another go to do the job properly.
Edit 2: and now completed on core difficulty as intended.  Mel's 1st, second and final incarnations went pretty much as shown above, as did the pool fights.  The only moment of concern was in the 3rd fight with Mel.  There, after she teleported to the top of the area, she successfully renewed her stoneskins, which gave her significant extra staying power.  When she was near death her globe of blades hit Delilah nastily - for 55 I think and I decided Delilah should withdraw and use lay on hands thinking Mel might be going to run at that point anyway.  However, she instead started casting heal while Delilah's aura was clouded.  She responded by equipping Belm and coming back in, but with only 3.5 APR at the time I was glad to see the attempt to heal fail (and Mel ran away an instant later).

• Aasim and Blackraven like this