Photo

Baldur's Gate 2 No-Reload Challenge

• Please log in to reply
15228 replies to this topic

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Exer - dwarf kensai (3rd and final update)

In Umar Hills a Gaxx haste was used to tackle Anath - though a couple of critical misses meant Exer was hurt a bit more than I expected.  Outside the temple he carelessly got hit by one of a group of 3 shadows.  Rather than drop encumbering equipment he blasted them with a first use of Sunray.

Inside the temple I thought I should play fair with the undead rather than using a scroll, but another slight loss of concentration proved costly there when taking on the first group of undead led by a lich.  Exer approached under improved invisibility and used a sunray.  However, that both failed to kill the lich and failed to disrupt its true sight.  It was at near death though and I thought one further attack would kill it.  However, while I had noted its use of spell trap as an initial buff I hadn't clocked that it had also used PFMW.  The attack on the lich therefore failed and the delay while attacking gave it the opportunity to commence a symbol stun spell before Exer was safely away.  The loss of improved invisibility meant his save vs spell was down to -2, which gave him a 5% chance of failing against the symbol ...
PFMW_zpskqj2p1uf.jpg

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,558 posts

Congratulations, Alesia, with well deserved and perfect timed victory! And great thrilling story even though it was that short.

• Alesia_BH, Blind_Visionary and Blackraven like this

Aasim

Aasim
  • Members
  • 1,361 posts

I still owe everyone a final battle report. I'll take care of that soon. 

Thanks! Grats again.

• Alesia_BH likes this

Aasim

Aasim
  • Members
  • 1,361 posts

Grond0 - ay. You seem to be jinxed with those saves... :(

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

Condolences on the loss of Exer, Grond0.

Will you be trying another kensai?

Best,

A.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

@Grond0: Sorry to hear Exer go down. Your story (about the Lich appearing) is why I always try to do Umar Hills early, since it has level dependent spawns.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

Grond0 - ay. You seem to be jinxed with those saves... :(

I don't really think so - just the natural result of my reports highlighting the failed saves rather than the successful ones :P.

Condolences on the loss of Exer, Grond0.

Will you be trying another kensai?

I'm sure I will, though not immediately.  Even though I'm convinced that a no-potion dwarf kensai can take the Throne I'd still like to provide concrete proof of that.  Perhaps next time I'll have to steel myself to cut down on the risks in order to get into the end game ...

Aasim

Aasim
  • Members
  • 1,361 posts

Naix, final BG2 update

I'm gonna skip to the good part. I have about 400 screenshots in between last post and where Naix died, but who cares - he did succesfully finish BG2.

It's ToB where we lacked the power.

Surprisgly enough, we did Yaga (had a nasty bug here - his "liteunants" didn't spawn :( ), Illasera (w/o Reflection since I had no money to buy it!), Draconis (very easy for some reason...)

end1_zpsop46xxoh.jpg

Abazigal was a tad bit harder due to level drain breath attack from those little wyverns. It's temporary, and doesn't dispel Pro Electricity, so were fine. Another bug (or perhaps I should have explored the area more?) - Tamah wasn't there. :(

end2_zpshp6iwblp.jpg

end3_zps1hnns9yj.jpg

In the end, he fell in Sendai enlcave battle. Demons proved to be my demise again. Too many gated, to little Free Action, too many PW:Stuns, etc.

My party fell like flies.

end4_zpsqtksnfyj.jpg

end5_zpswt6x2g6k.jpg

This may be a trivial fight otherwise, but Xan (sorcerer) with Refinements lacks a crucial spell - Dragon's Breath. Without it, massed Drow + Demons are as deadly as it gets.

• Blind_Visionary likes this

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Sorry to hear that Aasim.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

Arcadia v Melissan and The Five (or Safety First)

Ok. I finally found time to complete Arcadia's final post.

Heading into the final confrontation with Mel and The Five, I considered a number of battle plans. Ultimately, I decided to complete the fight in the safest way, partly to insure that Arcadia would succeed, but also to illustrate features of the final Ascension fight that can allow safe passage for no reloaders.

The final Ascension fight can be difficult. It can be intimidating. That's especially true in no reload play where second chances don't exist. But with an understanding of the battle and the threats faced, a variety of classes can successfully complete it. Let's take a look at the foes.

Good characters who have aligned with Balthazar face Abazigal, Gromnir, Illasera, Sarevok, Sendai, and Yaga-Shura. It's essentially a melee heavy party rounded out by an archer and a cleric/mage. For solo characters, a straight on melee assault of this group is almost guaranteed to be a losing proposition: they are too strong, too accurate, and too resilient. But while the Five will almost invariably enjoy an advantage in melee against a solo PC, they are at a structural disadvatage against a ranged fighter: the arena they are fighting in is perfectly suited to ranged combat and the few ranged attack options they have can be negated.

Illasera is, of course, a deadly archer. But she can be killed, or, in the alternative, made irrelevant by the Reflection Shield. And once Illasera is dealt with one way or the other, the only ranged combatant to worry about is Sendai.

Sendai is a powerful spellcaster. But by then end of ToB, most PCs are capable of withstanding magical assaults. Of those capable, none surpass arcane classes.

So for Arcadia, an F/M, the route to victory was clear: fight at range with the Reflection Shield in the off hand and use spells to negate Sendai's magical attacks. With those threats neutralized, the rest of the Five will be helpless due to their inability to trackdown a mobile range fighter in a large arena.

Sounds simple. And it is. But the details matter. As easy as the plan is to execute, it's easier to get it wrong.

By conserving her resources throughout the Demon Battles, Arcadia was able to enter the final fight fully buffed with a fully loaded spellbook. Her buffs were her standards, enhanced by potions and green scrolls. Here's the full list: Protection from Fire (green scroll), Protection from Cold (green scroll), Protection from Electricity (Green Scroll), Protection from Acid (Green Scroll) Potion of Mind Focusing, Potion of Storm Giant Strength, Potion of Invulnerability, Potion of Absorption, Potion of Heroism, Potion of Magic Protection,Oil of Speed, Stoneskins, Protection from Magical Energy, Protection from Cold, Protection from Fire, Protection from Acid, Spell Shield, Spell Turning, Spell Deflection, Spirit Armor, Vampiric Touch (hitpoint buff), Resist Fear, Protection from Evil, Blur, Mirror Image, Improved Invisibility, Spell Immunity: Abjuration, Spell Immunity: Divination, Spell Immunity: Conjuration, Improved Haste, Hardiness, and Draw on Holy Might. Her Contingency was set to Helpless: ProMW. This was to be her protection in case of a Sendai Implosion. Her Chain was chosen to defend agains the threat of Time Stop melee->Power Word: Kill. It was Hitpoints 50%: ProMW, Spell Shield, Spell Deflection. Her Trigger held key defensive spells in reserve for quick deployment. It was Spell Shield, Spell Deflection, and Spell Immunity: Abjuration. Her Sequencer was Teleport Field x 3. it was intended to serve as an emergency escape route in case she was boxed in.

Here are a couple shots of her pre-battle character record, showing her resistances and saves.

Screen%20Shot%202015-04-02%20at%202.40.5

Screen%20Shot%202015-04-02%20at%202.40.5

Finally, her inventory. Note that this shot was taken before the buffing had been completed, hence the differences in AC and hitpoint totals.

Screen%20Shot%202015-04-02%20at%202.36.0

Just two more prep phase shots. These show Arcadia's spell slot allocations. Note that her book had been streamlined and simplified for the final fight. The most important allocations were at 3,4,5 & 6. Arcadia's plan was to counter attacks on her magical defenses by recasting spell protections. This, in turn, would keep her protected from Breach. Of note is the absense of allocations to Improved Invisibility. Arcadia chose to forgo casting SI:D during the fight to insure that she'd have enough SI:As to counter Sendai's Removes. And without SI:D, II is of less use.

Screen%20Shot%202015-04-02%20at%202.41.4

Screen%20Shot%202015-04-02%20at%202.41.4

Ok. Enough small talk: let's get right to the killing.

The battle begins with Sendai, Yaga-Shura, and Sarevok to the west.

Screen%20Shot%202015-04-02%20at%202.43.5

Abazigal, Gromnir, and Illasera (shadowed) to the east.

Screen%20Shot%202015-04-02%20at%202.43.5

Since Arcadia was confident that she could counter all the threats that the Five posed, she chose to use the "death's door" strategy, which entails taking all members of the Five down to Near Death before killing any one of them. This delays Mel's arrival, since she only appears when one of the Five is killed. Assuming it can be executed safely, it simplifies the battle. Not all characters can do it, however. For characters who lack the Relection Shield, it is typically better to kill Illasera immediately. Also, those opposed by Balthazar may have to take a different approach.

For Arcadia, Sendai posed the greatest threat by far. Not only did she have a store of Removes, she also had an Implosion, which could be deadly due to the Hold effect. So long as Sendai was alive and had those spells available to her, Arcadia would have to maintain both Spell Immunity: Abjuration and a spell protection or, at the very least, she would have to have one of the two up while having a clear aura and the needed spell in reserve. Throughout the battle, Arcadia's rule was to not use her aura offensively unless both SI:A and a spell protection were in place. Arcadia also made Sendai her prime target in the early stages of the battle, since a spell foiled could be a spell saved.

When combat began, Sendai withdrew to the north. Since she was running ProMW, Arcadia went to work with unenchanted darts. Surprisingly, Sendai had not started the battle with Stoneskins or Ironskins so the dart assault did have a chance of foiling spells. Nonetheless, Sendai got off a key spell: Wish. And she selected the single best option that she could have: I wish for myself and my allies to be granted super-human speed.

Screen%20Shot%202015-04-02%20at%202.45.0

Given that Arcadia's plan was to stay mobile and fight ranged, this was dangerous. Outlasting Sendai's Wish would be the greatest challenge of the Five phase of the fight.

Arcadia succeeded, but managing movement while simultaneously tracking attacks on her magical defenses was a challenge. Abazigal launched a Breach, which targetted through Arcadia's pre-buff Improved Invisibility. With SCS's consistent Breach component installed, Breach will bounce off of Spell Turning. And since both Arcadia and Abazigal were running Spell Turning, the Breach bounced back and forth between them untill ultimately it collapsed Arcadia's Spell Turning. Arcadia was not Breached, since she was running Spell Deflection too, but one layer of her magical defenses had been peeled. Let's check the character record.

Screen%20Shot%202015-04-02%20at%202.47.0

As you can see, the Spell Turning was down, but the Spell Shield and Spell Deflection remained in place. And Spell Immunity was still active as well. Arcadia used her aura to recast Spell Turning.

Shortly thereafter, a Sendai Time Stop passed uneventfully on account of Arcadia's buffs. A Remove bounched harmlessly off of Arcadia's SI:A. A Ruby Ray was launched, but it was countered with a Spell Shield recast.

Following the Time Stop, Arcadia's Spell Immunity: Abjuration expired. Sendai, predictibly, launched a Remove. Arcadia countered with a SI:A.

Screen%20Shot%202015-04-02%20at%202.54.0

Each Remove drawn from Sendai's book was a victory for Arcadia. Sendai's Removes and her Implosion were the only hopes the Five had for victory. Arcadia used the temporary reprieve from attacks on her defenses to resume her assault on the Five, here choosing Yaga-Shura.

Screen%20Shot%202015-04-02%20at%202.55.0

Another Sendai Ruby Ray took down Arcadia's recast Spell Shield. Arcadia was now forced to use her Trigger earlier than she would have liked, effectively wasting an SI:A.

Screen%20Shot%202015-04-02%20at%202.56.0

While Arcadia's spell defenses remained fully intact, Sendai and Abazigal had made progress by drawing down Arcadia's reserved spell protection. But Arcadia was making progress too: progress on the hitpoints of the Five.

Screen%20Shot%202015-04-02%20at%203.02.0

And all their ranged attacks were frustrated either by the Reflection Shield or Arcadia's specific protections. The Five could not win like this.

Screen%20Shot%202015-04-02%20at%203.01.1

All the Five could do was fall back on their healing.

Screen%20Shot%202015-04-02%20at%203.03.4

But the assault continued. And while Arcadia had to counter yet more attacks on her magical defenses, she had the upper hand.

Screen%20Shot%202015-04-02%20at%203.04.3

A Yaga-Shura Firestorm, intended to heal Yaga and harm Arcadia, may have done the former but it didn't do the latter. And the rest of the Five clearly didn't appreciate the lava bath. It accelerated their demise.

Screen%20Shot%202015-04-02%20at%203.11.2

Before long, the Five knew they were beaten.

Screen%20Shot%202015-04-02%20at%203.36.4

Now ready to take on Melissan, Arcadia checked her defenses and cast Spell Shield from scroll to replace one she had lost. She then ended Sendai.

Screen%20Shot%202015-04-02%20at%203.34.1

Screen%20Shot%202015-04-02%20at%203.37.4

It was time to face Mel.

Upon arrival, Mel sought to make immediate progress with a Time Stop.

Screen%20Shot%202015-04-02%20at%203.38.0

Arcadia was ready with a Focus, however, and as it turned out, the Time Stop never came to pass. The deaths of the already weaken Abazgial and Illasera interupted her spell.

Screen%20Shot%202015-04-02%20at%203.39.2

Screen%20Shot%202015-04-02%20at%203.40.0

Sarevok was next.

Screen%20Shot%202015-04-02%20at%203.40.3

Shortly thereafter, Arcadia hear "manos." As a precaution, she refreshed her SI:A, but she was pretty sure that Mel was casting something else. She was.

Screen%20Shot%202015-04-02%20at%203.41.1

(Does everyone remember the Imprisonment that Arcadia tried to cast on Balthazar? Had that succeeded, the mighty monk would have leapt out of the ground at this very moment. It's a shame Balthazar activated Lunar Stance.)

It was now Yaga-Shura's turn.

Screen%20Shot%202015-04-02%20at%203.41.2

Melissan tried a Spellstrike. But Arcadia's Spell Shield was there to catch it.

Screen%20Shot%202015-04-02%20at%203.45.4

And all that remained of the Five was Gromnir. He would soon fall.

Screen%20Shot%202015-04-02%20at%203.42.4

Mel was now vulnerable. It was time to finish her. The plan was to kill her in toe-to-toe melee

Arcadia drank a precautionary Potion of Magic Shielding to protect against Mel's save lowering on hit effect. That ultimately proved unnecessary: ProMWs would prevent Mel from landing a blow.

Once she had the space and a clear aura, Arcadia cast Improved Alacrity.

Screen%20Shot%202015-04-02%20at%203.45.5

She then took the buffs remaining in her book and conjured a Black Blade of Disaster. She cast ProMW, launched a Breach, and then activated Greater Whirlwind and Critical Strike.

Screen%20Shot%202015-04-02%20at%203.46.5

Screen%20Shot%202015-04-02%20at%203.47.0

The opening round did 200hp of damage. Mel was quickly brought down to injured. Meanwhile, her spear bounced harmlessly off of ProMW.

Screen%20Shot%202015-04-02%20at%203.47.2

After another round of engagement under Greater Whirlwind, Arcadia withdrew to refresh ProMW. She then resumed her assault with another Greater Whirlwind

Screen%20Shot%202015-04-02%20at%203.48.2

Screen%20Shot%202015-04-02%20at%203.48.5

After reaching Near Death, Mel took far more damage than expected. I was concerned that she was bugged. But after a ProMW refresh and a final GWW assault, she fell. Arcadia was victorious.

Screen%20Shot%202015-04-02%20at%203.49.5

And that's how it happened.

While Arcadia's run may not have been the most dramatic, it was enjoyable and satisyfing. F/Ms have the ability to power through most every encounter, but that doesn't necessarily trivialize the adventure. It takes care and attention to detail to keep an F/M safe -especially a half-elven F/M. I enjoyed my time with Arcadia. I hope others enjoyed her as well.

Best,

A.

• Serg BlackStrider, Blind_Visionary and Aasim like this

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

Sorry to hear about Naix, Aasim. It was a good run nonetheless.

Best,

A.

Btw. I'm also sorry to hear about the bugs. The Lieutenants and Tamah were both missing? That's strange. I hope you can get that fixed before your next run.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

@Corey. We can add Arcadia to the Hall now that her final battle post is complete.

Best,

A.

• Epsil0 likes this

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

@Corey. We can add Arcadia to the Hall now that her final battle post is complete.

Best,

A.

Yes - the final post was indeed what I was waiting for. I'm at work, so will do so when I get home. Were you on Core rules or something different?

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

Yes - the final post was indeed what I was waiting for. I'm at work, so will do so when I get home. Were you on Core rules or something different?

Just Core rules. Same mods as always: SCS and Ascension.

Best,

A.

Aasim

Aasim
  • Members
  • 1,361 posts

Nice stuff Alesia. Out of curiosity, is it worth while adopting Bodhi here? Balathazar I remember vaguely as very powerful ally here, if for nothing than his tankiness..

Sorry to hear about Naix, Aasim. It was a good run nonetheless.

Best,

A.

Btw. I'm also sorry to hear about the bugs. The Lieutenants and Tamah were both missing? That's strange. I hope you can get that fixed before your next run.

Naix was fine, I don't think he could have made it however. What kind of got me was the absurd number of buffs needed to keep the party alive. In between Xan, Aerie and Jan who had about 120 HP when put together, PW spells were exceedingly deadly. Aerie had preciously few level 4-5-6 slots, and that proved very costly - I needed Free Action, NPP and Death Ward and all casters + Pro Magic Energy + Pro Elements. That left Xan with so few spells to cast, regardless of his sorcerer kit.  

Fwiw, I continued him for a while, and fought Sendai. I don't know how previous SCS versions handle this, but on my install this is litteraly crazy - Assasinations, Alacrities, Balors, Planetars, 5 statues active at the same time - it has it all. Took 6 (!) reloads to win it - and even then, Xan and Jan were permanently chunked. :D

I'll fix the bugs yes;  it was very dishartening to see Yaga alone, and even more so to fight Abazigal w/o Tamah.

Anyhow, gj vs Mel once again. Great run.

• Alesia_BH, Blind_Visionary and Golden28 like this

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

Nice stuff Alesia. Out of curiosity, is it worth while adopting Bodhi here? Balathazar I remember vaguely as very powerful ally here, if for nothing than his tankiness..

The best reason to recruit Balthazar is so that you don't have to fight him. His speed can completely change the equation. For many classes, it's an entirely different fight with Balthazar on the opposing side. As for what you can expect from him as an ally, the safest thing to do, I'd say, is expect nothing. I've literally seen him die within the first five seconds of the opening battle. On other occasions, he's been flatout heroic right up untill Mel's last stand. He's a total wild card. There's no way of knowing what you'll get from him. Expect nothing, and you may be pleasantly surprised. Expect a lot, and you'll probably be cruelly disappointed.

Bodhi is great to have in the opening battle, if only for humor value. Jon-Jon lacks NPP, so Bodhi absolutely shreds him. It's fun to watch. As an opponent, she can be irritatingly hard to kill, but Pro Undead does work on her, so the risks from her can be managed, minding Jon-Jon's Removes. As an ally, she suffers from the same limitation as Balthazar: she's vulnerable to vorpal hits. Aside from that though, she's tough to kill, due to her regeneration rate and bat form. She can do an excellent job of running distraction, if she survives the balors.

One annoying thing about Bodhi is that if you Imprison her so that she'll survive the demon battles, she'll emerge with her vampire weapon dispelled, leaving her with bare fists, making her virtually useless offensively. Remember those pathetic skeletons? Freed from imprisonment, Bodhi will spend her time knocking those things unconsicous. It's depressing...

Anyhoo. Is she worth having. Sure. But if your charisma is low, you have to give up part of your soul to get her. I wouldn't do that.

Fwiw, I continued him for a while, and fought Sendai. I don't know how previous SCS versions handle this, but on my install this is litteraly crazy - Assasinations, Alacrities, Balors, Planetars, 5 statues active at the same time - it has it all. Took 6 (!) reloads to win it - and even then, Xan and Jan were permanently chunked. :D

Yeah. That's what I remember. It is a great fight. It's just too much for a solo character. I'd love to try it with a party. I'm glad Naix pulled through, even if it took a few tries.

I'll fix the bugs yes;  it was very dishartening to see Yaga alone, and even more so to fight Abazigal w/o Tamah.

Understood. Tamah is really what makes the Abazgial fight. Without her, he's helpless. I hope you get it straightened out.

Anyhow, gj vs Mel once again. Great run.

Thanks. As it turns out, I'm not going to be going away as soon as I thought. I'll be gone for the weekend, but I'll be back home next week. I may get a chance to do another run.

Hopefully I'll get the chance to see one of your characters take down Mel. Tame those demons, Aasim. :)

Best,

A.

• Blind_Visionary and Blackraven like this

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Arcadia is entered into the Hall of Heroes. Congratulations, Alesia. Just out of curiosity, what would your run have looked like if you didn't use black blade disaster, and just used a conventional weapon?

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

Nice job Alesia.  I'll look forward to seeing your next attempt - do you think you could make it through with a druid of some sort?

Hard luck Aasim - those demons you're so fond of are not so fond of you :P.  Were there any item-based protections that could help - for instance are FoA and ring of freedom options for free action in your setup?

Blackraven

Blackraven
  • Members
  • 1,377 posts

Hey there, hi there everyone!

Blackraven had some nice time off, and is still in the process of catching up with all the exciting stuff posted here. First of all congrats to both Grond0 :wizard: and Alesia  :wizard: This was exactly the news that I was hoping for :)

Two outstanding and well-documented runs. I'll definitely use them as references for my own runs.

I'm also pleased to see Corey's mages still going strong.

Aasim, and Golden, sorry about the demise of Naix and Eren. Aasim, you had yet another compelling run that took you deep into ToB. A question to you and Alesia re: Sendai. Are you referring to Oversight Sendai or SCS Enhanced Sendai Enclave? I personally only have experience with the former variant, which was superhard a couple of years ago. My current install contains the latter mod. Sendai's a long way for me, but it's good to know what to expect.

Golden, as others have said, I'd like you to not give up. Your posts are superentertaining, and your daring style of play is almost the opposite of mine, really interesting for me to read. If it's any consolation, I'll post about my latest Charname's silly death in the BG1 forums in a moment :D

• Alesia_BH and Blind_Visionary like this

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

Arcadia is entered into the Hall of Heroes. Congratulations, Alesia. Just out of curiosity, what would your run have looked like if you didn't use black blade disaster, and just used a conventional weapon?

Thanks, Corey. Know that we all appreciate the work you put into maintaining the list.

Just out of curiosity, what would your run have looked like if you didn't use black blade disaster, and just used a conventional weapon?

It would have looked less cool. :P

Honestly, it wouldn't have mattered that much. The Black Blade of Disaster is a +6 weapon that does 2d12 damage while also having a 10% chance to drain 4 levels and grant the wielder 20HP. It also disinegrates targets on a failed save v death with a +4 save bonus. On top of that, it temporarily give the wielder grandmastery in long swords, allowing the wielder to benefit from those bonuses. In terms of pure damage, it outstrips all conventional weapons, though it falls short of the unwieldy Shapechange: Iron Golem fists. It's my favorite weapon, although others can be better suited to specific tasks.

While it's a great blade, it's a level 9 spell, and so the opportunity cost is non-trivial. Every Black Blade of Disaster cast means one less Dragon's Breath or one less Planetar. So, basically, without the Black Blade of Disaster, you would have seen Arcadia cutting through enemies as a slower rate, but, at the same time, you would have seen Dragon's Breaths on a regular basis. In some situations, the Dragon's Breaths would actually have been more effective, but the Black Blade of Disaster suited Aradia's style better.

There were times when the Black Blade of Diaster hindered Arcadia, since it prevented her from quickly shifting to a non-magical weapon or a range weapon. With fewer BBoD casts, you likely would have seen more range fighting, more use of non-magical weapons, and fewer Breach casts.

Basically, it's a fun spell to play around with but it's not a game changer. It like it. I think it's cool.

Best,

A.

• Blind_Visionary likes this

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

Hey there, hi there everyone!

Blackraven had some nice time off, and is still in the process of catching up with all the exciting stuff posted here. First of all congrats to both Grond0 :wizard: and Alesia  :wizard: This was exactly the news that I was hoping for :)

Good to see you again Blackraven! I hope you enjoyed your trip.

Thank for the congrats. It was a fun run.

A question to you and Alesia re: Sendai. Are you referring to Oversight Sendai or SCS Enhanced Sendai Enclave? I personally only have experience with the former variant, which was superhard a couple of years ago. My current install contains the latter mod. Sendai's a long way for me, but it's good to know what to expect.

We're talking about Enhanced Enclave Sendai. And if you have it installed in your no reload setup, you're braver than I am- especially if you have hopes of soloing.

The statues activate every round or two, irrespective of whether the prior statue has been killed. So, if you don't kill the statues quick enough, you can end up fighting all the statues and the real Sendai at the same time. That's a lot to handle in a tiny room. It's a nightmare for thieves.

I hope you'll be back in action soon, Blackraven!

Best,

A.

• Blind_Visionary and Blackraven like this

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

Nice job Alesia.  I'll look forward to seeing your next attempt - do you think you could make it through with a druid of some sort?

I can do it with a fighter/druid or a fighter->druid. I've soloed Ascension with an avenger before, but it took a lot of reloads because of Illasera and the Fallen Solars. If you don't have ProMW (and even if you do) the Reflex is a big deal.

I'd like my odds better with a single class cleric. I'm thinking about running a fighter/cleric next, although I've also had thoughts of doing something suicidal like running a monk or a kensai. I also want to give my archer, Alia, a chance. She's one of my favorite characters.

Best,

A.

• Blackraven likes this

Blind_Visionary

Blind_Visionary
  • Members
  • 462 posts

Alesia, thanks for sharing both the story and the tactical details of your run! I find both approaches interesting and entertaining and I appreciate the time and detail you put in on both fronts. Tragic that Imoen died after she (I assume) returned Arcadia's violet at the throne... I suppose Captain Swarmi might have had something to do with Balthazar activating Lunar Stance at such an opportune time? Otherwise he would not have been able to erase Imoen from the field and recover her Bhaal essence...

• Blackraven likes this

Epsil0

Epsil0
  • Members
  • 208 posts

Congratulations, Alesia and Grond0! Best of luck with your next attempts.

• Alesia_BH likes this

Blackraven

Blackraven
  • Members
  • 1,377 posts

Good to see you again Blackraven! I hope you enjoyed your trip.

Thank for the congrats. It was a fun run.

The trip was great: heartwarmingly friendly people, clean air, lakes, mountains, new places, healthy food and the company of a woman whose love is a true blessing.

I'm glad you enjoyed your run. I did so too :) 
It wasn't boring (as you said you feared); it was just extremely well-executed!

We're talking about Enhanced Enclave Sendai. And if you have it installed in your no reload setup, you're braver than I am- especially if you have hopes of soloing.

The statues activate every round or two, irrespective of whether the prior statue has been killed. So, if you don't kill the statues quick enough, you can end up fighting all the statues and the real Sendai at the same time. That's a lot to handle in a tiny room. It's a nightmare for thieves.

Hmm, thanks for this. I think that my future solo runs will have to turn into party runs in the later stages of the trilogy.

I hope you'll be back in action soon, Blackraven!

Thank you! I've already rolled a new character ;)
Btw nice to know that you'll probably be around a bit longer (hopefully not due to anything undesired). A Cleric or Druid type sounds like a nice character, but I'm sure I'll enjoy reading about your next Charname regardless of her class. Good luck deciding!

• Alesia_BH and Blind_Visionary like this