Photo

The Adventurer's Lounge: Guidance and Support for No Reload Challengers- Newbie or Veteran

• Please log in to reply
377 replies to this topic

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

@Grim Jim (or anyone else). Can I safely change my ATweaks options mid run? I'd like to switch to PnP Fiends option 3.

Thanks in advance!

Best,

A.

GrimJim

GrimJim
  • Members
  • 34 posts

I would think that it would be okay, but I can't really say for certain. I don't have any experience with aTweaks in particular and in general I'm wary about messing with an installation while a game is in progress. The modifications I suggested in the no-reload thread were an exception because they were relatively small and I had personally tested them. The aTweaks readme doesn't say anything about it and Spellhold Studios still seems to be down.

• Alesia_BH likes this

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

Thanks Grim Jim! I guess I'll hold off.

Option 3 can wait till another run.

Best,

A.

ussnorway

ussnorway
  • Members
  • 2,365 posts

Hi Wise... for what its worth I have all the gog bg games and can confirm that they all install & play on my (fresh install of) Windows 10... test machine is my Asus 500c sonicmater laptop with 12g ram.

s1-baldr047.jpg

I need to be current for work but if you already have a good w7 or 8.1 then imo there is little point upgrading yet... give Microsoft 1/2 a year to get some solid drivers out and you still have the free upgrade offer then.

• Alesia_BH, Serg BlackStrider and Blackraven like this

ussnorway

ussnorway
  • Members
  • 2,365 posts

Oh. And a quick list of my preferred mods. The modding community has done a lot of great work over the years, but there are only a handful of mods that I've chosen to retain

For BG1

Fixpack (of course)

BG1 NPC Project (well done, enjoyable if you party)

Hard Times (excellent, sensible, but it slows progress- recommended for those who really love BG1)

SCS (essential, I can't imagine playing without it)

ATweaks (a candidate)

For BG2

Fixpack

Ascension (essential, this is the ending of ToB)

SCS (again, essential- even more so in BG2)

ATweaks (great, but in limbo. I have concerns about balancing. The quality and professionalism are there, however)

Best,

A.

Does this mix give you back your innates once you get your soul back from hell?

• Alesia_BH likes this

Borco

Borco
  • Members
  • 100 posts

Before I advise, may I ask whether you use OS X?

Windows user here (8.0). I am, however, considering to swich to OS X early next year.

Oh. And a quick list of my preferred mods. The modding community has done a lot of great work over the years, but there are only a handful of mods that I've chosen to retain

For BG1

Fixpack (of course)
BG1 NPC Project (well done, enjoyable if you party)
Hard Times (excellent, sensible, but it slows progress- recommended for those who really love BG1)
SCS (essential, I can't imagine playing without it)
ATweaks (a candidate)

For BG2

Fixpack
Ascension (essential, this is the ending of ToB)
SCS (again, essential- even more so in BG2)
ATweaks (great, but in limbo. I have concerns about balancing. The quality and professionalism are there, however)

Best,

A.

Thanks alot for this coherent list. I understand that this is basically compatible with both BGT as well as BG:EE. I will have to do a bit of reading in respect of the ATweaks, as I am unfamiliar with the content, and see about the outcome.

T.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

Windows user here (8.0).

I'll let the Windows users recommend a version of particular version of SCS, based on their experiences. 

I am, however, considering to swich to OS X early next year.

Noted. Be advised that I have experienced stability issues with ToBex hacked BGMAIN.EXEs when running the GoG version of BG2 for OS X. This has made it difficult for me to run recent versions of SCS.

There may be particular versions of ToBex that function better in OS X than others. Further, it may be possible to tweak the ToBex install, or GoG's packaged Wine environment, in such a way as to minimize crashes.

CrevsDaek may be able to provide assistance here.

Thanks alot for this coherent list. I understand that this is basically compatible with both BGT as well as BG:EE. 

I'm not certain about Hard Times in BG:EE.

I will have to do a bit of reading in respect of the ATweaks, as I am unfamiliar with the content, and see about the outcome.

Do read, yes. There's a lot to like in ATweaks, but there is a lot to dislike as well. A few comments on commonly used components

PnP Fiends

• Briliant translation of PnP content to the BG world, though not without problems
  • Read the documentation thoroughly or you will probably die
  • Some creature abilities are exceedingly dangerous in no reload play, such as the balor vorpal (no save allowed)
  • If the PnP stats are used (options 1 without SCS Improved Fiends, or option 2 with SCS Improved Fiends), your fiends will lack the statistical heft to stand and fight
  • The SCS/ATweaks hybrid fiends (SCS Improved Fiends plus, subsequently, ATweaks PnP Fiends option 3) are probably the most suitably balanced, although you'll encounter some oddities
  • Be wary of enabling Fiendish Gating: it can be fun, but deadly- especially if the SCS/ATweaks hybrid fiends are used
  • There is some great content here, but I can't unreservedly recommend this component at this time. Balance is an issue and I've yet to test the Ascension battles. 
  • Until further notice, you should consider me to be in the SCS Fiends camp (ie- I prefer SCS Fiends). I may come around to ATweaks Fiends after further testing

PnP Elemental

• Gives elementals a much needed spruce up. There is a lot to like here. 
  • Great scripting
  • Interesting abilities
  • Summons may be overpowered, disturbing balance
  • There is some great content here, but I can't unreservedly recommend this component at this time. I'm concerned that ATweaks may overpower elemental summons, including aerial servants

PnP Mephits

• Makes mephits far more interesting and far more dangerous
  • Very well executed
  • I really like this component, but not everyone will. Polytope once said that "In the end, it's a mod that makes mephits even more annoying." Some may sympathize with his view

PnP Undead

• Interesting, but arguably the least interesting of the ATweaks creature components
  • Be wary of spell like abilities from ATweaks Undead
  • Read the documentation or you will probably die

PnP Fey

• Interesting. Well executed. I see comparatively little downside here
  • I can't comment on balancing in BG1
  • Probably not worth installing ATweaks just for this in BG2. But if you intend to use other components, consider tacking on the Fey

While ATweaks has made a strong case for consideration, I'm not certain it will remain in my preferred mod list long term. The jury is still out. All I can say is that it's worth trying and that some may like it.

Good hunting!

Best,

A.

• Blackraven likes this

Blackraven

Blackraven
  • Members
  • 1,377 posts

Does this mix give you back your innates once you get your soul back from hell?

You have the option:

~ATWEAKS/SETUP-ATWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #218 // Regain Bhaalpowers in ToB: v4.32

• Alesia_BH likes this

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

You have the option:

~ATWEAKS/SETUP-ATWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #218 // Regain Bhaalpowers in ToB: v4.32

Yuppers.

Sorry I missed your question USSNorway!

Best,

A.

Epsil0

Epsil0
  • Members
  • 208 posts
So an idea I was bouncing around after the death of Benoni: I would like to do something similar to the Avatars. But I don't quite feel experienced enough to pull it off yet. Instead, I'd like to try something I'm calling the anti-avatars.

It would be a team of hopefully 6 characters, each one a no-reloader's least favorite class and/or kit. Mine, surprisingly enough when I thought about it, is the Jester.

I'm not fully sure how the Avatars were created, though; did you all just give Serg a class and race, or stats and pictures as well? Any help would be appreciated (as well as your least favorite class! :P )
  • Blackraven likes this

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

Instead, I'd like to try something I'm calling the anti-avatars.

Sounds interesting. Odd, but interesting.

I'm not fully sure how the Avatars were created, though; did you all just give Serg a class and race, or stats and pictures as well? Any help would be appreciated (as well as your least favorite class!  :P )

The Avatar idea was something that a group of us came up with together. The thread had gone through a fallow period. It had been three weeks since the last post. Saddened by the lack of activity, a few of us brainstormed ways to vitalize the thread. One of the ideas we came up with was for a group of us to create a party of six, each based on our real life selves. All six of us then ran that party through the challenge.  

Some of the Avatars parties fell in BG1. Others graduated to BG2. My group completed BG1 but was then set aside, since I was primarily interested in soloing then. Serg's group was the only one to finish the adventure.

We could get you started on an anti-avatars run, but it seems to me that the time may be ripe for an Avatars reboot, or at least, a group of runs with a similar character. A few players have expressed interest.

May I suggest something slightly different? What if we selected classes that we like -that we enjoy- but that we are afraid to play, for fear of failure. A group of lovable misfits. Mighty Ducks. Bad News Bears. That sort of thing. Perhaps characters that we've played, that we have trouble imagining finishing the Trilogy on their own, but perhaps could in a group, if well cared for? That could get interesting.

I'd probably nominate my Transmuter, Alastria. Any thoughts on who your misfit might be?

Best,

A.

• Blackraven likes this

Epsil0

Epsil0
  • Members
  • 208 posts
Oh, thanks for the info! The revitalization seems to have worked, and Serg's success was pretty fun to watch. If I were to nominate something... A Totemic Druid. I'll have to dig to find his name, but I've always had trouble imagining how he'd do in late game if he hadn't been Beholder ganked.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,502 posts

I've also struggled to see how a solo druid would win his way through the trilogy.  However, given that Epsil0 has nominated one of those I'll put in for a half-orc cleric.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,317 posts

Alesia said...

What if we selected classes that we like -that we enjoy- but that we are afraid to play, for fear of failure.

I don't even think such a thing exists for me - if I enjoy a class I play it, regardless if failure seems likely or even certain. Still, if I were to nominate a character for myself, it would be a half-elf fighter/mage. I've had so many disasters with that character - I don't even think I defeated BG 1 with it (talking solo, maybe I have in a party). 

I've had enough defeats with half-elf solo fighter/mages, that instead of rolling one, I do gnomish fighter/illusionists, such as my recent Millen run.

• Grimwald the Wise likes this

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,572 posts

May I suggest something slightly different? What if we selected classes that we like -that we enjoy- but that we are afraid to play, for fear of failure. 

I agree with Corey on the matter - I'm struggle to imagine such a character for myself... But, while I'm all for some kind of arcane caster a Gnomish Cleric/Thief stir my mind from time to time. I'm leaning to try him someday but usually end up with choosing someone different.

• Blackraven likes this

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,317 posts

I agree with Corey on the matter - I'm struggle to imagine such a character for myself... But, while I'm all for some kind of arcane caster a Gnomish Cleric/Thief stir my mind from time to time. I'm leaning to try him someday but usually end up with choosing someone different.

Serg, if I am not mistaken, you have said before you want to try a Kensai > Druid, but you never have yet, as far as I know...

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,572 posts

Serg, if I am not mistaken, you have said before you want to try a Kensai > Druid, but you never have yet, as far as I know...

I've started the one but then abandoned it.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

Let's focus less on this line:

What if we selected classes that we like -that we enjoy- but that we are afraid to play, for fear of failure.

And more on this line:

A group of lovable misfits. Mighty Ducks. Bad News Bears. That sort of thing.

I was thinking that we'd not only select classes, but create personalities for out misfits- personalities in keeping with the cliches of the misfit athletic team genre. There would have to be BG equivalents of the chubby kid, the bespecaled geek, the tom-boy, the mysterious rebel, you get the idea.

Of course, we don't have to go ahead with this. In the end, we may feel like the kids in this clip. It's just a suggestion.

http://www.anyclip.c...ivation-speech/

Best,

A.

Blackraven

Blackraven
  • Members
  • 1,377 posts

Interesting ideas here :) For me a Monk would be a good candidate, kitless or maybe one of the EE kits. Have never played any type of Monk. I think it would be awkward for me,

Meanwhile a question. Does anyone know how to solve this problem (screenshot)?

Bartholomew is in the Windspear Ruins, about to face the Guardian (the Fire Elemental that requires King Strohm's mask to be seen). But as soon as it's supposed to become visible, either vbecause someone's wearing the mask or because traps kill it, I get a CTD.

I found a possible solution here in The Imp's post, but before trying that, I'd like to know if you could think of a simpler solution. The last comment, by Made In Heaven, seems relevant as well, taking into account the information in red letters in the weidu window you can see in the screenshot. However, I can't find the seemingly corrupt .cpp files in Near Infinity (or any .cpp files) for that matter.

Any insights would be most welcome. 

GrimJim

GrimJim
  • Members
  • 34 posts

I can confirm that what Made In Heaven is talking about is the issue. Try this:

Open up NearInfinity and select Search -> Extended Search. Change the Resource type to Visual Effects (VVC). Tick the Drawing flags box then click the Set options... button next to it. Select Translucent (1) and Blended (3) and then do the search. For each file that comes up, open it and select the Drawing attribute. Untick Translucent (1) and then save the file.

Blackraven

Blackraven
  • Members
  • 1,377 posts

GrimJim, first of all thanks for your reply. I did what you said, but the search yielded no results. The D0SALFIR.VVC and the D0SALICE.VVC files only had the Blended box ticked, not the Translucent box. Anyway, the problem seems to have been my configuration. I enabled 3D Animations and 3D Acceleration, and the Fire Elemental appeared. Thanks once again.

GrimJim

GrimJim
  • Members
  • 34 posts

Huh, it's strange that it would give you that error message if the VVC files were fine. In any case, I'm glad that you solved the issue.

• Grimwald the Wise and Blackraven like this

Blackraven

Blackraven
  • Members
  • 1,377 posts

And a new issue has presented itself: game resets XP at the SoA level cap. I've briefly explained it at the Beamdog Forums. Does anyone have an idea what could cause this, and what might solve it?

ussnorway

ussnorway
  • Members
  • 2,365 posts

are there any readme notes for

~SETUP-D0QUESTPACK.TP2~ #0 #4 // Miscellaneous Enhancements -> With Additional Random Encounters: v3.1

could have a cap remover in it as well perhaps?

• Blackraven likes this

Blackraven

Blackraven
  • Members
  • 1,377 posts

Thanks @USSNorway. No cap remover there, only extra mini-quests or extensions of existing quests.

Spoiler