Photo

The Adventurer's Lounge: Guidance and Support for No Reload Challengers- Newbie or Veteran

• Please log in to reply
377 replies to this topic

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

I'd like to tack PnP Free Action onto an existing Enhanced Edition/SCS v30/ATweaks install.

Can I just add it on at the end, or do I need to reinstall?

Best,

A.

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,572 posts

I'd like to tack PnP Free Action onto an existing Enhanced Edition/SCS v30/ATweaks install.

Can I just add it on at the end, or do I need to reinstall?

I think, it's pretty safe to just add it at the end. I've done that myself when I first discovered the mod and I was in the middle of the run then. No issues whatsoever.

• Alesia_BH likes this

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

Noted.

Best,

A.

realmuzzy

realmuzzy
  • Members
  • 133 posts

@Alesia_BH I installed free action after rogue rebalancing and before SCS. RR says you should install after and I was hoping SCS will scan for it. The game works fine but I don't think SCS knows about it.

A question for the more experienced no-reloaders. Sometimes when you interrupt casters with damage during the casting animation, especially priests, the spell still goes off. Is the animation not synced with the actual casting, is the hit actually landing in a different round from the spell, what is going on and how do you protect against it?

• Alesia_BH likes this

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,502 posts

Casters have a concentration check to determine whether damage (actually hits as zero damage hits also affect this) results in spell failure.  You're correct that priests are generally better at succeeding with this check.  It's therefore not a good idea to be in a situation where you are only relying on interrupting spells in order to stay safe ...

• Alesia_BH, Grimwald the Wise, Blackraven and 1 other like this

realmuzzy

realmuzzy
  • Members
  • 133 posts

Interesting, I didn't know that, I always thought that was a 3+e thing and that in 2e you get hit you get interrupted. What's the formula for the check do you know?

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,502 posts

I'm afraid I don't - I think the check is done directly through the engine rather than using 2da tables or equivalent.  If anyone does know though I would be interested too ... :D

• Alesia_BH, Grimwald the Wise and realmuzzy like this

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,317 posts

Since divine casters don't get the defense arcane do (such as improved invisibility, mirror images, etc.), BioWare put it into the engine that divine casters have a chance to get spells off, no matter how much damage they take or how many times they have been hit. Therefore, never, ever, assume you can interrupt a divine caster - you need defense instead (greenstone amulet, potion of magic blocking, etc.)

• Grimwald the Wise and realmuzzy like this

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,194 posts

When I said goodby to Jaheira at the exit to Irenicus' dungeon, she had Flameblade active. She has just rejoined and now has it active permanently. How do I rectify this?

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,317 posts

When I said goodby to Jaheira at the exit to Irenicus' dungeon, she had Flameblade active. She has just rejoined and now has it active permanently. How do I rectify this?

Wise, try a dispel magic on Jaheira from some one high level (Bards are great for that, since they level like thieves, and thus tend to have more levels than other characters).

A dispelling arrow might work too.

• Grimwald the Wise likes this

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,317 posts

Alesia: Concerning our discussion in the no-reload thread, it's not critical - e.g., every one will do what they prefer, and we'll all adapt and live with it, as we all have for years. One thing to note what Serg did - he put many pictures in a single spoiler tag, so you didn't have to do too many clicks, that seemed to work well.

I agree that in general, it's nice as a reader to read the story/see pictures without clicking anything, which was one of your points.

I think you can appreciate my point, that if I"m trying to reply but can't because the focus keeps going up as the page loads, that's hardly convenient. This will happen, even if using the small JPGs are you suggested.

Therefore, since one can't satisfy both, I vote to forget about it. People can do their picture essays, and I"ll just be patient until I can write my post.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

I agree that in general, it's nice as a reader to read the story/see pictures without clicking anything, which was one of your points.

Both approaches have their merits.

Even though I'm not over fond of the Spoiler tag method, I do respect the fact that it lets readers choose whether to download content or not. I think that's really the greatest strength of the Spoiler tag method when compared to the embedded right sized JPEG approach.

As a reader, the Spoiler tags don't save me time (quite the opposite), but they do let me choose what I see. If I were on a mobile plan with a bandwidth limit, I'm sure I'd appreciate that.

I think you can appreciate my point, that if I"m trying to reply but can't because the focus keeps going up as the page loads, that's hardly convenient. This will happen, even if using the small JPGs are you suggested.

Understood. I've encountered that too, but I've only found it problematic when posters have used large files. Of course, different people have different wait time tolerances. Further, connection speeds differ.

Going forward, my intention is to use a hybrid approach: spoiler tags for most content, with occasional right sized embedded JPEGs. My posts will be no more than a hundred or two hundred K, max.

Best,

A.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,317 posts

My approach is hybrid as well, actually - anything important (such as a character sheet when entering BG 1 or BG 2 challenges), or just a great screenshot (good example is my skeleton army screenshots with my cleric/mages group), or perhaps significant or dramatic (down to 10% life, etc.) or even my favorite screenshot of the session, I show the picture directly. Everything else I put in spoilers.

For example, Corarcher, when he fought Melissan in the 2nd battle, had everyone dead but Cernd, who was held, and Corarcher himself down to like 5% health or something, that deserves (in my mind) to be seen directly and without spoiler tag. Actually, now that I think about it, really ANY no-reloader who gets to Melissan, should show their screenshots directly - whether success or failure, hard to get more significant than those encounters.

Most Sarevok battles I think should be shown directly - they are surely significant, and often can take unexpected turns if all of Sarevok's allies get involved. Angelo's arrows blowing up PC parties are always great screenshots.  :D

• ussnorway and Grimwald the Wise like this

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,194 posts

Wise, try a dispel magic on Jaheira from some one high level (Bards are great for that, since they level like thieves, and thus tend to have more levels than other characters).

A dispelling arrow might work too.

Thanks. It worked. Should have thought of that myself. I presume that it was just a bug?

• corey_russell likes this

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

Is it possible to install the ATweaks PnP Elementals component, while retaining the vanilla elemental princes?

I like what ATweaks does for most elementals, but I'd prefer to leave the princes unchanged.

Thanks in advance!

Best,

A.

ussnorway

ussnorway
  • Members
  • 2,365 posts

A Gnome Pally?

Fights at range with a special crossbow (da2 Varric)... or I could remake Cassia but we already have a druid.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,317 posts

Is it possible to install the ATweaks PnP Elementals component, while retaining the vanilla elemental princes?

I like what ATweaks does for most elementals, but I'd prefer to leave the princes unchanged.

Thanks in advance!

Best,

A.

Just wanted to know I saw your question, Alesia, I just don't know the answer. since no one responded yet, perhaps you can just try a new topic for the question, and perhaps you'll get an answer then.

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,572 posts

Just wanted to know I saw your question, Alesia, I just don't know the answer. since no one responded yet, perhaps you can just try a new topic for the question, and perhaps you'll get an answer then.

Me too, unfortunately, don't know the answer, Alesia... You might try to copy vanilla cre files of elemental princes into override folder after installing aTweaks but I'm not sure if it will help much (how their scripts will work in this case and so on?). Maybe digging through the installing log files to define how they were changed in the process will reveal something else?

edit: I've checked with NI and found out that there are not specific aTweaks CRE files for Elemental Princes but just ELEMZAAM - Zaaman Rul, ELEMSUNN - Sunnis, ELEMCRYO - Cryonax and ELEMCHAN - Chan with respective override aTweaks' scripts assigned to them. I don't have a setup sans-aTweaks at the moment to check how their stats/abilities/immunities were changed but I might presume that they are not changed too much from vanilla. 

GrimJim

GrimJim
  • Members
  • 34 posts

NOTE: I don't know much about aTweaks.

You could probably just copy the relevant files from /atweaks/backup/190 to your override. Modifying the installer is another option. Which creatures exactly do you want unmodified?

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

Thanks for the advise, Serg. I'll nose around and see what I can do.

Best,

A.

I don't have a setup sans-aTweaks at the moment to check how their stats/abilities/immunities were changed but I might presume that they are not changed too much from vanilla. 

The ATweaks/Vanilla comparison is relevant, but so is the ATweaks/SCS comparison.

With the Improved Enclaves installed, SCS amps up both Ogremoch and Imix. I can't comment on ATweaks Imix, since Arkona just Waved him, but I was disappointed with ATweaks Ogremoch. He was pretty nerfy in comparison to the SCS version.

As for the summoned princes, it's hard to judge their balancing from a stat sheet, but in the absence of the Increase Hit Dice of the Elemental Princes component, they appear to be a problem. Take ATweaks Chan, for example. Chan has 90 hit points, a strength of 16, and a THAC0 of 5. He loses his dispelling weapon and his Globe of Blades. He also has some peculiar, potentially unbalancing abilities. 

I'd rather play with the vanilla/SCS princes.

Best,

A.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

NOTE: I don't know much about aTweaks.

You could probably just copy the relevant files from /atweaks/backup/190 to your override. Modifying the installer is another option. Which creatures exactly do you want unmodified?

Thanks for writing, Grim Jim!

I'd like to revert to the SCS and or vanilla version of all the princes, namely:

If you see a way of doing that, let me know. 

Best,

A.

GrimJim

GrimJim
  • Members
  • 34 posts

Okay, this *should* work:

Uninstall the PnP Elementals and Prince HD booster components. Open up /atweaks/lib/c190.tpa. On line 2411, which should be empty and right before a line referencing Cryonax, add   /*   . Then go to line 3072, which should be right after 2 END statements, and add   */   . Then go to lines 3380-3382, which should initially be

~elemchan~          // Chan

~elemsunn~          // Sunnis
~elemzaam~          // Zaaman Rul

and replace them with 

//~elemchan~          // Chan

//~elemsunn~          // Sunnis
//~elemzaam~          // Zaaman Rul

Then reinstall PnP Elementals. Again, this *should* work, and as far as I can tell it works, but whether that means it actually works is a different matter.

• Alesia_BH, Epsil0 and Blackraven like this

Blackraven

Blackraven
  • Members
  • 1,377 posts

Hey GrimJim, I haven't tested your solution and it doesn't concern me (for now), but I want to salute you for your efforts to help people out. It's really good to have you here (even if you don't play much). :)

• Alesia_BH likes this

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,317 posts

For what is is worth, GrimJim, I agree with Blackraven - your presence seems to enrich the no-reload experience here at BSN.

• Alesia_BH likes this

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

Yuppers: Thanks Grim Jim! I look forward to trying your solution!

I appreciate the help: Truly.

Best,

A.

• Blackraven likes this