Photo

The Adventurer's Lounge: Guidance and Support for No Reload Challengers- Newbie or Veteran

• Please log in to reply
377 replies to this topic

GrimJim

GrimJim
  • Members
  • 34 posts

Thank you, Blackraven, Corey, and Alesia. I appreciate you saying that. I've taken a break from playing Baldur's Gate but modding it is pretty fun too!

• Blackraven likes this

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,194 posts

I have one, possibly two bugs, one of which could be game-breaking.

First bug

I have the Saerileth mod installed which may be part of the problem.

Usually I play with her in the party, but this time I asked her to leave upon killing the demon. She went quite happily, but now I cannot go to spellhold with either the paladins or the thieves.

I have beaten Bohdi so cannot side with the vampires.

The thieves say that I now have other allies so cannot go with them.

I think that it is supposed to be Sir Clarenshide that arranges for my trip to Spellhold but he has "nothing to say to me".

Is there another alternative?

The other possible bug

My experience keeps dropping every time that I get near to 3,000,000. Is this a bug or not?

Any suggestions?

Blackraven

Blackraven
  • Members
  • 1,377 posts

First bug

Maybe you can experiment in Shadowkeeper with Sir Clarenshide variables.

The other possible bug

I had the same thing in my BGT install. XP accrued beyond the SoA cap, but would be set back at 2.95 million each time I loaded my game. Gate70 sent me this link. Haven't tried it yet myself, but it might work for you (remove the whole line concerning AR3000 from xnewarea.2da in Near Infinity).

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,194 posts

This is the contents of that file in the over-ride directory which I opened in notepad:

2DA V1.0
         AREA      SCRIPT    FLAGS    ICON    LOCX    LOCY    LABEL    NAME    LINK_2DA    N_LINKS    E_LINKS    S_LINKS    W_LINKS LINKS_TO
1        AR3000    AR3000    7        28      773     640     66122    66122   XL3000      0          0          5          0        10

Would deleting that bottom line do the trick?

I can always duplicate the file so that I can re-instate it if necessary.

Will try it in the morning unless advised otherwise.

Delete that line and then suck it and see I suppose.

Might try it in the morning.

Haven't found the global variables re Sir Clarenshide yet. :(

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,194 posts

I seem to have overcome the experience bug with Near Infinity. :)

However I have been unable to find the relevant variable which I think is part of the Saerileth Mod. Unfortunately I seem to be unable to post on the current Saerileth Website (TeamBG). On that site, somebody posted an identical problem on this page over a year ago: Sadly they didn't get a reply. :(

http://www.baldursga...hp?topic=2512.0

The last post on the page by The Black Robed One is the relevant one.

The only difference seems to be that my character has a reputation of 20.

Edit

I eventually found Sir Havun Clarenshide.

He was in the Override folder.

This line was missing:

Global("NSRewardSpellhold","GLOBAL",1)

Not being too familiar with Near Infinity, I inserted it with Shadowkeeper.

The other trigger is ("NSBhodiKill,"GLOBAL",1)

That one was there.

Now if I could post on the Saerileth website, I could tell others about the problem and the solution.

But I can't :(

Perhaps it is inactive at the weekend.

• Alesia_BH and Blackraven like this

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

Glad to hear it Wise. Good luck with the rest of your adventure!

Best,

A.

• Grimwald the Wise likes this

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

A question about incantations in BG2 EE with SCS v30.

Perth the Adept used the Abjuration incantation when casting Symbol spells (Symbol: Fear and Symbol: Death). Has anyone else observed this, or anything similar?  Is there a way to fix this?

Best,

A. 

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,317 posts

Perth the Adept used the Abjuration incantation when casting Symbol spells (Symbol: Fear and Symbol: Death). Has anyone else observed this, or anything similar?  Is there a way to fix this?

Best,

A. 

I don't the answer to your question, but since you often make decisions based on the incantations you are hearing, sounds like it might be serious for your install. 

Jeremiah12LGeek

Jeremiah12LGeek
  • Members
  • 23,955 posts

I've toyed with the idea of doing this for Baldur's Gate. My questions probably don't really relate directly to the no reload challenge, but are in the ballpark, so I'll ask them anyway:

1. I haven't played BG 2, but was recently thinking of grabbing it. I seem to remember hearing that there is a save import feature (not sure if it's a game file or character importer.) Is there one, and would it be worth re-playing the first one once to have something to import?

2. In the original Baldur's Gate, it was possible to play through the game many times with the same character, and even to dupe items fairly easily using the MP mode. Does the challenge have any prohibitions about using characters who have higher than starting stats because of multiple playthroughs/book duping?

I had a couple of characters that I went way overboard with, playing through many times, but the single-classed warrior with 2-handed specialization was hilarious. I had played through with him so many times that his attributes were all 22-25, and I had actually taken to challenging myself to solo the entire game with him (which I was sort of able to successfully do, if one doesn't count the final section of the game.)

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,194 posts

Best,

A. 

I always have the sound off so that I can hear my wife if she wants to speak to me, so sorry I can't help.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,317 posts

I've toyed with the idea of doing this for Baldur's Gate. My questions probably don't really relate directly to the no reload challenge, but are in the ballpark, so I'll ask them anyway:

1. I haven't played BG 2, but was recently thinking of grabbing it. I seem to remember hearing that there is a save import feature (not sure if it's a game file or character importer.) Is there one, and would it be worth re-playing the first one once to have something to import?

2. In the original Baldur's Gate, it was possible to play through the game many times with the same character, and even to dupe items fairly easily using the MP mode. Does the challenge have any prohibitions about using characters who have higher than starting stats because of multiple playthroughs/book duping?

I had a couple of characters that I went way overboard with, playing through many times, but the single-classed warrior with 2-handed specialization was hilarious. I had played through with him so many times that his attributes were all 22-25, and I had actually taken to challenging myself to solo the entire game with him (which I was sort of able to successfully do, if one doesn't count the final section of the game.)

1) BG 2 can import a character file OR Player Character from a save game from BG 1. BG 2 is fun on its own, in no way do you need to do BG 1 first, although that does make the story flow a bit better.

2) Multiple playthroughs thorugh BG 1 is definitely against the spirit of the challenge, for the same reason setting your stats all to 25 and setting all saves to 0 would be against the spirit of the challenge. The key word is "challenge" - god-like stats is not much a challenge...

• ussnorway likes this

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,194 posts

I don't know of any specific prohibition, but people play with many different set-ups so we are not all playing the same game. Whatever way we play, we let everyone know what our set-up is. So if you play somebody who has already been through the game, you should at least say what you have done.

Some mods add potions so that the stats can be in the 22-25 range by the end of the game.

I would not recommend that you have stats like that. My current game has given me such stats with the result that my character is too powerful. The result of that is that I will be installing a mod to increase difficulty next time.

What is important is that the game is a challenge for YOU. If it is too easy, it isn't worth playing.

I remember playing Golden Axe Warrior decades ago, and it became boring because I won every time.

With Baldur's Gate I rarely get to the TOB section. That's the way that I lke it. It is your game.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

Welcome, Jeremiah!

We hope you'll join use. We're alway glad to welcome new players to the challenge.

Does the challenge have any prohibitions about using characters who have higher than starting stats because of multiple playthroughs/book duping?

We fielded this question long ago on the old forums. The notion of a continuous narrative is central to the idea of a no reload. Importing and re-importing breaks continuity. A run charts the destiny of a character through one play through of the adventure -not multiple playthroughs on the same engine.

You could mod your game so that you'd get more tomes. No one would stop you. We'd just think it was kind of lame and misguided.  :P

But seriously: In the end, what matters is your enjoyment. We grant players great latitude with respect to how they structure their adventures. In the end, it is your game. You are sharing. We thank you for sharing. Share whatever you like.

At the same time, when sharing, it makes sense to keep the norms and sensibilities of the community in mind. Why post an adventure that no one wants to read? Sharing is most rewarding when it strengthens bonds. Why share something that will alienate?

Ask. Listen. Keep community norms in mind. Go with what feels right.

Once again: Welcome, Jeremiah!

Good hunting!

A.

• Grimwald the Wise and Blackraven like this

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

Ok. I've encountered an extremely irritating cosmetic bug.

As some of you know, I'm currently playing a monk.

I was curious to see whether a monk could equip the spear form of the Rod of Lordly Might. It turns out they can. Unfortunately, the animation of my monk's unarmed attack has been permanently changed to that of a two handed weapon. I now have a monk who instead of punching and kicking wields an invisible spear. The unarmed attack still works correctly, but the animation is wrong.

Does anyone have any idea how to fix this? I nosed around in Near Infinity and I didn't see an obvious solution. Assistance would be appreciated. It's a tiny thing, but its kind of a game ruiner.

Best,

A.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,317 posts

Ok. I've encountered an extremely irritating cosmetic bug.

As some of you know, I'm currently playing a monk.

I was curious to see whether a monk could equip the spear form of the Rod of Lordly Might. It turns out they can. Unfortunately, the animation of my monk's unarmed attack has been permanently changed to that of a two handed weapon. I now have a monk who instead of punching and kicking wields an invisible spear. The unarmed attack still works correctly, but the animation is wrong.

Does anyone have any idea how to fix this? I nosed around in Near Infinity and I didn't see an obvious solution. Assistance would be appreciated. It's a tiny thing, but its kind of a game ruiner.

Best,

A.

I assumed you already tried using the rod of lordly might in say, long sword form, and seeing if that changes it back to 1-hand attack form?

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

I assumed you already tried using the rod of lordly might in say, long sword form, and seeing if that changes it back to 1-hand attack form?

Yes. I tried requipping the rod. That didn't help.

Leaving the Underdark did work, however. The problem is now solved.

Best,

A.

• Blackraven likes this

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,317 posts

Yes. I tried requipping the rod. That didn't help.

Leaving the Underdark did work, however. The problem is now solved.

Best,

A.

Good to hear - hopefully no more pop up.

• Alesia_BH likes this

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

Some questions from the SCS v30 EE players. I'm curious as to whether others have observed some of the things I've observed. I'll share more observations later. These are just the pressing ones.

Movement Physics

Have you occasionally found it difficult to move near or around other creatures? Have you noticed enemies getting "hung up" on each other's movement circles?

Torgal

Is SCS Improved Torgal suppose to get a full heal? In Alikae's run Torgal stayed at Near Death forever, without falling or ceasing to attack. He then immediately jumped back to Uninjured.

Spirit Trolls

Are your spirit trolls activating invisibility the moment they fall unconscious, rendering them untargettable? Is that intended behavior? Have you been able to reveal them using detect illusions?

Vampire Bat Forms

Do you vampire bat forms lack movement circles, preventing the player from targeting them? Scripted allies, such as efreetis can target them, but the player frequently can not. Is this intentional or are the bats just using the wrong animation. It seems odd.

Again, more to come. I'm just painfully curious about these ones.

Best,

A.

• Blackraven likes this

Blackraven

Blackraven
  • Members
  • 1,377 posts

I have no answers Alesia, but I hope to be learning things with Isadora in BG2EE with SCS v30 in the coming weeks. I'll gladly post my findings if by then they're still relevant.

• Alesia_BH likes this

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,317 posts

Alesia - while I don't have EE, I think I can definitely comment on your movement physics question - in vanilla, this has happened to me many, many times - both where I am hung up, or once in a while the enemies have it happen to them. It has happened in both vanilla BG 1 and BG 2 for me. When Kangaxx morale breaks, for example (in Demi-lich form), he would almost be impossible if I didn't have haste and using a melee weapon, but eventually he gets hung up on a wall and I can get him.

realmuzzy

realmuzzy
  • Members
  • 133 posts

@Alesia

• Movement: Didn't notice this one.
  • Torgal: Didn't notice this one either, just his very fast regen.
  • Spirit trolls: Yes to this one, I can't remember if it happened every time but very often they'd fall unconscious while invisible with no damage over time effects I can think of. They can be revealed with invisibility purge.
  • Vampire bats: Didn't get to vampires with this install.

One thing that I'd like to ask players of EE and non-EE SCS:

• Slow SCS script loading: Does anyone else feel like SCS scripts have noticeably slower loading times in their EE game compared to their non-EE game?

​EE has been pretty buggy compared to what I expected. It's probably the mods to be honest, but you somehow expect it to be the pinnacle of stability when you switch.

Edit: Oh, also I always used to play BGT so this didn't come up but when I tried to import from final save my xp doubled on start of BG2 (it imports fine from char file). This is a bug right?

• Blackraven likes this

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

• Movement: Didn't notice this one.

I've noticed it in both BG1 EE v30 and BG2 EE v30, but not BG2 non EE v30. That suggests to me that it's a general EE problem.

The next time it happens I'll post a screenshot so you can see. Maybe it has happened and you just haven't considered it worth noting?

Torgal: Didn't notice this one either, just his very fast regen.

What I've observed is definitely not regen. Something else is going on.

In one case, a second uninjured Torgal was created shortly after the first one had been killed.

There's definitely some strangeness in relation to his near death/death scripting. I've noticed issues in both non-EE v30 and EEv30.

What's your sample size?

• Spirit trolls: Yes to this one, I can't remember if it happened every time but very often they'd fall unconscious while invisible with no damage over time effects I can think of. They can be revealed with invisibility purge.

It doesn't happen every time. Just sometimes. And it doesn't happen in non-EE v30, which leads me to believe its unintended.

The troll finishing mechanic appears to be different in EE. The problem probably has something to do with the intersection of the SCS script and the EE troll finishing mechanic.

Divination spells can reveal them, but detect illusions has not worked, even with a high score.

Activation delay is part of the Detect Illusions though and there is a probabilistic element. I've yet to round count and sample, so I can't say whether there is an issue here. I was just curious to hear if anyone has has a success with the thief ability Detect Illusions in particular. I'll probably just have to do some testing myself.

One thing that I'd like to ask players of EE and non-EE SCS:

• Slow SCS script loading: Does anyone else feel like SCS scripts have noticeably slower loading times in their EE game compared to their non-EE game?

Yes. It's especially noticeable with beholders.

At the same time, melee round initiation seems quicker. In EE, its more difficult to evade melee blows in close combat (this is a positive).

Basically, in EE, mages are slower on the draw, but warriors are faster. 

I find that I can work around the mage script pause by pausing myself. I appreciate the more efficient enemy melee movement (although hang-ups are occasional problems).

Beholders are a problem (mostly because I find it harder to delay my attacks: killing beholders ASAP is so ingrained)

• Vampire bats: Didn't get to vampires with this install.

Let me know when you do. This is pretty annoying. The bats can attack me. And Mr. Efreeti can attack the bats, but I can't attack the bats unless I had initiated a round prior to their transformation.

Basically, the engine treats them as visible, but there is no movement circle to click on. It's strange. I doubt this was intended.

• ​EE has been pretty buggy compared to what I expected. It's probably the mods to be honest, but you somehow expect it to be the pinnacle of stability when you switch.

I'll say more on this later.

As a mac user who has played SCS v30 on the GoG version and in EE, I'd say that EE is glitchier, but more stable.  

My GoG v30 install was fine, more or less, early in the adventure. But as battles became more complex, hard crashes to the desktop became increasingly common. The final Ascension battle was unplayable, at least in a magic heavy playthrough. I experienced at least one, sometimes two crashes in most of the major pre-Throne battles.

EE introduces a myriad of little issues, but I've yet to observe a hard crash to the desktop, even if heavy combat. Using EE also permits you to evade the various ToBex OS X interaction issues.

There are tradeoffs to be sure. Were it not for the CTDs and the ToBex/OS X issues, I'd stick with classic BG. As is, I'm inclined to transition.

Best,

A.

• Blackraven likes this

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

Edit: Oh, also I always used to play BGT so this didn't come up but when I tried to import from final save my xp doubled on start of BG2 (it imports fine from char file). This is a bug right?

After your transition, the game grants you the experience you accumulated in BG1 in excess of the cap. Is that what you observed?

Best,

A.

• Blackraven and realmuzzy like this

realmuzzy

realmuzzy
  • Members
  • 133 posts

After your transition, the game grants you the experience you accumulated in BG1 in excess of the cap. Is that what you observed?

Best,

A.

Oooooh, that's what it is. I should have taken advantage of that, the 10 lore from level up could've been the just what Aliira needed to recognize the big healing potions.

• Alesia_BH likes this

realmuzzy

realmuzzy
  • Members
  • 133 posts

I've noticed it in both BG1 EE v30 and BG2 EE v30, but not BG2 non EE v30. That suggests to me that it's a general EE problem.

The next time it happens I'll post a screenshot so you can see. Maybe it has happened and you just haven't considered it worth noting?

Please do. I did notice one movement related bug when I'm fighting Marl. A couple of times now after he's been chasing me around the inn for a few minutes he will just stop and start randomly going around the place. Kind of as if he has the blinded status effect. I don't know what's happening there.

What I've observed is definitely not regen. Something else is going on.

In one case, a second uninjured Torgal was created shortly after the first one had been killed.

There's definitely some strangeness in relation to his near death/death scripting. I've noticed issues in both non-EE v30 and EEv30.

What's your sample size?

Only a couple. That sounds like a pretty serious bug if it respawned Torgal.

Activation delay is part of the Detect Illusions though and there is a probabilistic element. I've yet to round count and sample, so I can't say whether there is an issue here. I was just curious to hear if anyone has has a success with the thief ability Detect Illusions in particular. I'll probably just have to do some testing myself.

When does the first tick of detect illusions happen? I know it doesn't work like other similar abilities with a first tick on activation and a tick every round after.

Yes. It's especially noticeable with beholders.

At the same time, melee round initiation seems quicker. In EE, its more difficult to evade melee blows in close combat (this is a positive).

Basically, in EE, mages are slower on the draw, but warriors are faster. 

I find that I can work around the mage script pause by pausing myself. I appreciate the more efficient enemy melee movement (although hang-ups are occasional problems).

Beholders are a problem (mostly because I find it harder to delay my attacks: killing beholders ASAP is so ingrained)

I'm glad other people noticed it too. It's honestly my biggest issue, it takes away urgency from the encounters and I'm not good enough to wait just the right time to make it fair but not give the ai a dangerous advantage over me.

Let me know when you do. This is pretty annoying. The bats can attack me. And Mr. Efreeti can attack the bats, but I can't attack the bats unless I had initiated a round prior to their transformation.

Basically, the engine treats them as visible, but there is no movement circle to click on. It's strange. I doubt this was intended.

Will do.

As a mac user who has played SCS v30 on the GoG version and in EE, I'd say that EE is glitchier, but more stable.  

My GoG v30 install was fine, more or less, early in the adventure. But as battles became more complex, hard crashes to the desktop became increasingly common. The final Ascension battle was unplayable, at least in a magic heavy playthrough. I experienced at least one, sometimes two crashes in most of the major pre-Throne battles.

EE introduces a myriad of little issues, but I've yet to observe a hard crash to the desktop, even if heavy combat. Using EE also permits you to evade the various ToBex OS X interaction issues.

There are tradeoffs to be sure. Were it not for the CTDs and the ToBex/OS X issues, I'd stick with classic BG. As is, I'm inclined to transition.

I played on bootcamp so far so I probably had a better experience with GoG. Well, not probably, it was rock solid even with things like spell pack. The main reason I'm switching to EE is so I can natively play on OS X.