Baldur's Gate 1 No-Reload Challenge

• Please log in to reply
16394 replies to this topic

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,558 posts
Quick Update of BlackStrider (Priest of Helm) & Co (Iron Throne):

Well, unlike of USSNorway we took heavy buffs here tho many of them were dispelled right at the start  of fight... Looking on enemies pre-buffs we were scared to say at least... We tried to open with Stinking Cloud and Horror but no one of enemies were affected so we retreated onto the previous floor (I know, it's a bit cheesy but hey, I'm a newbee of SCS...:blush: so... to live another day is to fight). With enemies separated the fight went quite smooth from now on (mainly used Wands of Heavens and Arrows of Cold):

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image

After that we replenished our potion's supply and now heading to my former home again.

to be continued...

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
Might use the console at some point to check ranger v Slythe. Meanwhile; Brang the dwarven barbarian.  Straight-forward ragefest.

Dead (or Alive)
(Firebead), (Fuller), Carbos, 5 rats, (Hull), Shank, (bookworm), (Marl), (Firebead again), (Oublek), (Noober), (Brage), Neira, Gnarl, Hairtooth, (Samuel), Tarnesh, (Joia), Caldo, Krumm, Unshey's ogre, Greywolf, (Prism), (Melicamp), three sirines, Sil and her two sirines, three flesh golems, Jemby, Teyngan, Zekar, (Bjornin), (Mirianne), Karlat, (Perdue), Bassilus, Mulahey, Zeela, Lamahla, Maneira, Telka.

Scrapes
Tarnesh forced a heal and a blue potion.
Greywolf forced a retreat. A rest and two blue potions sorted him 2nd time.
First set of sirines managed a poison (green potion) then confusion. Killed them anyway.
Rest after each flesh golem. Big hits either side each time.
Using a second rage on Bassilus before first expired. Assumed safest but expired moments later!
Glugged a blue potion against the amazons, ended up hardly needing it. Save vs poison 5, hadn't got piercing girdle...

Currently Barbarian 6. Str 18/97, Dex 17 (18 with gauntlets), Con 20 (tome), Int 16, Wis 3, Cha 3 (tome!)

Edited by Gate70, 11 July 2012 - 11:31 PM.

ussnorway

ussnorway
  • Members
  • 2,350 posts
@corey_russell , I figured having three characters tossing fireballs would decide that battle. They threw a spanner into the works by taking my tank out with confusion (so much for pally saves) but fortunately for me J stepped up.

@Serg BlackStrider Yes that’s the basic difference in no-reload i.e. when “plan A” starts going pear shaped you switch to a different tack... well done!

p.s. IMO The easiest way to get a Mage through BG is start as a Cleric (kit) then dual to Mage for BG2... puts those three wisdom tomes to good use but it's your game as always.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts
Quick Note on Alyssa's Game:

Slythe and Krystin are in the box. Alyssa is back at The Palace.

I'll post on the fight and her earlier adventures this evening.

Best,

A.

Edit: What a difference a day makes. Liia got the final kill: that's on the rare side for solos in my install.
Posted Image

Sarevok should straightforward for Alyssa.

Edited by Alesia_BH, 12 July 2012 - 06:20 AM.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts
 An Overview of Alyssa's Adventures

Apologies for the minimalist coverage since my return everyone but, as mentioned, I'm heading to Borneo soon and really don't have much time to play or post. Here's Alyssa's run in a nutshell.

Alyssa got her easy experience in Baslisk land.
Posted Image

Started off Mulahey with a Backstab (Greenstone, RoFA, and Shield Amulet covering defense).
Posted Image

Finished with missles. 
Posted Image

Started Venkt and pals with a Backstab. Finished with Arrows and Necklace blasts.
Posted Image

Froze Davaeorn and his Horrors. Lost some loot.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Gave Slythe and Krystin the frost-breathing Jelly treatment.
Posted Image

Yeah you better run...
Posted Image

Buffed heavy, then went Arrow of Dispeling->Malison->Dart of Stunning at the Palace. Alyssa didn't get any kills at all: she focused on Dispelling and Stunning.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

In need of directions.
Posted Image

Best,

A.

Edited by Alesia_BH, 12 July 2012 - 08:39 AM.

Shadow_Leech07

Shadow_Leech07
  • Members
  • 553 posts
Nicely done Alesia! Good luck with the final battle.

EDIT: I had written something down when I realized I could probably just test it myself... thanks anyways.

Edited by Shadow_Leech07, 12 July 2012 - 07:20 AM.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts
Quick Note on Alyssa's Game:

Alyssa has defeated Sarevok.
Posted Image

It was an uneventful battle, though Alyssa did nearly succeed in handing Sarevok an unusually embarrassing defeat.
Posted Image

That's right: death by Backstabbing Bunny-Wunny.
Posted Image
Posted Image

This is definitely feasible: I just botched it.

(Sarevok pumping his fist after a face-saving bunny-crunching Sword of Chaos blow.) 
Posted Image

Next time perhaps.

On to Amn.

Best,

A.

Edited by Alesia_BH, 12 July 2012 - 04:10 PM.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Good luck in Amn to Alyssa and her bunny - competition at last for the miniature giant space hamster!

Shadow_Leech07

Shadow_Leech07
  • Members
  • 553 posts
That bunny seems to deal fire damage! Sweet.

Edited by Shadow_Leech07, 12 July 2012 - 06:47 PM.

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,558 posts
Nice job done, Alesia! Astounding speed-run. Best of luck in Amn (I think there will be no troubles if your heroic Rabbit eventually ... multiply into Bunny-Wunny horde:)

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
Congrats Alesia_BH. Good luck in Amn. Here's hoping you can take it to the end. Been too long since a no-reloader made it and defeated Melissan - someone has to keep her in line.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts
@Grond0- Thanks!

@Shadow_Leech. Yeah the Bunny does deal fire damage: I was surprised by that. The bunny's weapon is apparently 1d2 +1 Fire.

@Serg. Thanks. And yes: Alyssa will do some Wishing- she may even conjure up some Greater Death Bunnies.

@Corey. Thanks again. Alyssa is capable. Since returning from my multi-year break, I haven't really been serious about finishing the challenge: none of the characters I've entered have had much of a chance of finishing really. Some lacked key abilities, others had the requisite abilities but lacked a battle plan for Ascension Mel and or Tougher Abazigal. Alyssa is the first who will enter with both the abilities and battle plans to finish.

That said, Alyssa won't be finishing anytime soon since I'm going to start traveling in a few days. In fact, there is a good chance that she won't even reach Amn until mid August or so. Trendan is still our best candidate for a July victory. Good luck with him!

Best,

A.

Edited by Alesia_BH, 13 July 2012 - 04:11 AM.

ussnorway

ussnorway
  • Members
  • 2,350 posts
Ud5, chapter 6:
@Alesia_BH well done... so does what happened in Borneo, stay in Borneo? :innocent:

I used firepower to blast my way towards the light... exiguousness is overrated but a scroll of ‘Clairvoyance’ helped give me victory against the Prat *!

Posted Image  Posted Image  Posted Image

* Ajantis used the new axe to range tank the basilisks.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

ussnorway wrote...
@Alesia_BH well done...

Thanks! Best of luck with your run!

so does what happened in Borneo, stay in Borneo? :innocent:

I'm not inclined to say.
When I don't tell you about my trip, you'll have your answer. :P

Edited by Alesia_BH, 13 July 2012 - 08:56 AM.

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,558 posts
We're just on your footsteps, USSNorway :)

In Candlekeep we looted all we could and left Iron Throne buddies alone (just don't want to defile the sacred place with blood...). But nevertheless were accused of their murder forced to escape through the Catacombs. Vs Prat party my two mages (with appropriate buffs) approached from two sides, hit two Stinking Clouds, two Webs, spiced with Emotion and blasted with Skull Trap and Fireballs. Wand of Paralyzation is great vs Spiders (as I've already mentioned) and Khalid used Ring of Energy just to speed up things:

We don't know where are you going now, USSNorway, but our current destination is mysterious Werewolfs Isle.

to be continued...

Shadow_Leech07

Shadow_Leech07
  • Members
  • 553 posts
My randomized elven thief named Mellie Stryke, who had stats along the lines of Str 14 Dex 14 Con 14 Int 10 Wis ?(something like 11) Char 15, who rolled 76 stat points met her untimely demise regrettably. Truthfully it was like a game of Super Mario Bros(every hit she took could've potentially killed her) except the koopas took twenty smacks just to kill. I really shouldn't make excuses though, I was trying to pigeonhole her into using a short bow when she really should have been using a sling(because she had a pip in missile weapons). Several other things I could've changed but I only realized this after the fact because I was so insistent on going my proven path I didn't realize poor Mellie couldn't carry the workload.

In any case when Nexlit the Xvart is acting like a boss character, it was feeling like a run I previously had done with a bunch of peter pan characters(level 1 munchkins). I did reroll a character and ended up with a randomized gnomish illusionist, but I know what my game build is, and it loves to eat up solo mages like cat on fish. I kind of want a relaxing but challenging game where I can listen to tunes in the background....*sigh. I will eventually get around to soloing a thief, but now am trying a fighter with kensai restrictions...at least in BG1, then if she makes it, I will make her a kensai in BG2. We'll see how that rolls.

P.S: No no...Nexlit doesn't kill her, that would be just plain...horrible. But he would have if he had scored a critical...No, Mellie gets killed by accidently running into the Xvart huts and getting trapped in by Xvarts. She doesn't immediately die, but she does take out one of the Xvarts before hitting the ground.

Edited by Shadow_Leech07, 13 July 2012 - 12:06 PM.

ussnorway

ussnorway
  • Members
  • 2,350 posts
@Serg BlackStrider I'm finished, will post it up soon... good luck on the island.

@Shadow_Leech07 Better luck next time... A Dwarf Druid?

Thrar

Thrar
  • Members
  • 78 posts
Nice to see you back, Alesia, I always enjoy your writeups. Enjoy your trip and best wishes for Alyssa!

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
Multiplayer attempt 8. I'm the wimp this time, Grond0 the meatshield.

Pendal the male gnome fighter/illusionist (Gate70) and Thimble the female gnome fighter/illusionist (Grond0).

Before doing the Candlekeep chores the two gnomes searched the library for useful clues, eventually stumbling across a dusty tome that had been recently disturbed. With trepidation they opened it, quickly becoming immersed in a tale of the Ten Towns and of two other adventurers. They flicked through the first few pages.

Icewind Dale: Tropp the male gnome fighter/thief (Gate70) and Grouch the male dwarf fighter (Grond0)

Pendal and Thimble gasped when they heard how Grouch was held by a ghoul and killed before Tropp could save him then relaxed as a huge sum of gold saw him revived at a temple. How Grouch managed to save Tropp from a similar fate, but not from a trio of skeleton archers (unlike Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale allows the game to continue unless everybody dies, so Grouch could raise Tropp at the temple).

Tropp has 200 kills, Mytos. Grouch 208 kills, mummy.

Pendal had read the book a dozen or more times, and Thimble once so they both knew that an undead king called Kresselach would soon face Tropp and Grouch. Despite this familiarity the tome accidentally fell into a backpack for later reading.

& so it was that Pendal and Thimble left Candlekeep after doing most of the chores (we memorised an identify scroll and kept a green potion). They travelled far and wide, dealing with Marl, Firebead, Caldo, Krumm, Unshey's ogre, Mirianne's ogrillions, Joia, Samuel, Tarnesh, Noober, Prism, Greywolf and various ambushes. Pendal watched Thimble succumb to a pair of gibberlings (game lag) after disposing of a ghoul and ten or so more gibberlings. Memories from the dusty tome convinced him that hope was not lost and he should get her to a temple. His hammer and a few potions had to be dumped to carry more important items though, and other items such as a helmet could not be carried either. 400gp later Thimble breathes again, and various lost items (e.g. axes) are replaced at a store.

Pendal has 61 kills, Greywolf. Thimble has 29 kills (non proficient with bow!), winter wolf.
Pendal didn't bother with Find Familiar. Thimble has it memorised but can't (legally) use it. This is called planning...

Where the previous runs ended, with links to the final post of each. With hindsight, getting 6 of 7 well into SOA is good going as neither of us have no-reloaded it on our own, and we are learning (slowly)!
1 Nawgrim and Peer. Charname stupidly killed by trapped container in Brynnlaw
2 Nadir and Kaxir. Companion laughably chunked by Spellhold greater mummy while in inventory!
3 Berserker and Cavalier. No link, berserker caught by 15hp rage expiry after Mirianne's ogres defeated.
4 Boor and Perry. Thaxxy chunks companion then charname
5 Scion and Cyill. Charname needlessly steps into beholder/gauth range
6 Mayse and Khazad. Charname needlessly tries to melee mind flayers
7 Bubble and Fomin. Companion imprisoned by Kangaxx while sanctuaried

Edited by Gate70, 13 July 2012 - 11:47 PM.

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
Brang the dwarven barbarian, Dead (or Alive), part 2
(Berrun Ghastkill), Nimbul, Tranzig, Ardenor Crush, Taugosz Khosann, Venkt, Hakt,Raemon, Britik, Aldeth Sashenstar, Drasus, Genthore, Rezdan, Kysus, Hareishan, (Rill), (Yeslick), 2 battle horrors, Davaeorn.

Notes
Venkt died quickly but Hakt & Raemon put up a good fight.
Drasus decided to fight alone with rage & potions, Genthore fought alone too. Raged Rezdan and Kysus with potions still active.
Was halfway through battle with Hareishan before realising I'd used my rages on Drasus and Rezdan/Kysus.
Bug: Saved yesterday before Davaeorn and quit, badly wounded. Full health when restarting today!
Pummeled by the two battle horrors. Retreated, rested then raged them one at a time.
Barbarian rage expires as Davaeorn dies, 2nd rage would have been used a moment later (1st cleared the charm, 2nd would have been needed against hold person).

Barbarian 7, 91hp. 254 kills, Davaeorn.

Edited by Gate70, 14 July 2012 - 12:22 AM.

ussnorway

ussnorway
  • Members
  • 2,350 posts
Ud6, final:

We had to get back to the city and save belt... let’s just say BG sure does have a lot of squirrels running around. Then we purchased some arrows and bolts before having it out with Sarevok.

Posted Image

The nymph just giggled at him and my half-brother went stiff!

p.s. Yes Valando will go on but I have to resolve Ormalines’ run first.

p.p.s. Thimble is curvy not meaty. :wub:

Edited by ussnorway, 14 July 2012 - 03:01 AM.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts
Congrats USSNorway!

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

ussnorway wrote...
p.p.s. Thimble is curvy not meaty. :wub:

That's just typical male gnome insensitivity - can't see past his own hair most of the time!

Shadow_Leech07

Shadow_Leech07
  • Members
  • 553 posts
good luck in Amn USSNorway.

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,558 posts
Well done USSNorway!