• Please log in to reply
16394 replies to this topic

Charlestonian Knight Templar

Charlestonian Knight Templar
  • Members
  • 981 posts
Posted Image
Darn it!

My run with the Bull-Knight, Front-de-Boeuf Black-Guard is over again. I was cut down with my servants by the assassins, Lamalha, Maneira, Telka and Zeela. Not sure if we killed more than one of them. I thought we'd beat them easily too.

I tried to tie them up w/a Grease spell from Edwin but they were still able to fire their Arrows of Fire & cast spells effectively. Edwin fell quickly. W/the Grease inplace, I too was unable to maneuver so I waited outside of arrow range for an opportunity to pounce. I’d hoped to separate them & tear them down one @ a time. Montaron, as was his custom, waded in the thick of the fighting, Grease & all, w/o regard to anything but killing the nearest assassin he could find...but w/limited armor he fell eventually to a combination of arrows/spells I guess. Eldoth tried to give us some ranged capability but against the Arrows of Fire he was hit & killed too. Xzar was a Wildman & when he was out of spells he charged into the Grease w/his Club but in only a Knave’s Robe he too was defenseless & died. 

I tried to work my way around to the left of the assassins & one of them cast an entangle spell that finished me. I tried in vain to get off the top edge of the map but couldn’t get free of the entanglement. Kagain was badly wounded, tossing Throwing Axes trying to kill my attackers but could not in the end. I finally fell to an Arrows of Fire.

I’d had high hopes for the PC. I tried to play him carefully & use Lawful Evil alignment properly. I refought the battle & tried the same, Grease tactic again & it failed again almost the same way. I tied a third time, skipped the grease & charged into melee & we beat them down, Kagain &I surviving. 

I guess it’s not a stretch to say that Kagain might raise my PC since I’d done so for him a few times, but then again being evil, he might not.  I may move this guy over the Minimal Reload Challenge just b/c I like the story I’ve created for him & would like to carry the idea further.

Part of me though, wants to run one more evil PC & then get back to the Cavaliers & LG Fighters I usually play. Oh well, we’ll see. 
Posted ImageCKT

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Sorry to hear that CKT. Grease (and entanglement) are tricky spells to use effectively as they don't prevent opposition from using ranged attacks (which all the amazons have). Hence, as you found, the spells can do more harm than good.

If you want to be sneaky you might try combining grease with web. Web will disable opponents (both preventing them attacking and allowing you automatic hits), while grease makes it more difficult for them to move out of the web if they do save. If you do use web though you need to be careful to restrict your party to ranged actions so that you don't get caught!

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
Tough break there, CKT - if it's any consolation, yours one of many runs who have ended due to those amazon assassins (including some of my own) - best of luck in your next run.

Kevin Lynch

Kevin Lynch
  • Members
  • 1,874 posts

Alesia_BH wrote...

It's good to hear from you Kevin. And thanks for reassuring us.

Btw. If you do get your moderator status back, could you help us change the title of this thread? We'd like to update it to make things clearer for newcomers.

Will do! B)

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Gate70/Grond0 multiplayer attempt 38{2} - (2nd and final update)
George, half-elf ranger (Grond0) & Larua, half-elf mage (Gate70)

This ill-fated pairing proved to be, um, ill-fated.

They got a bit of luck in successfully restoring Melicamp, but came a cropper against Bassilus.  The intention was to wait for him to fall over in a stinking cloud and then attack.  Unfortunately, the effect of the cloud extended slightly beyond the visible perimeter and George fell down as soon as he had attacked Basillus.  There were a number of skeleton archers in sight of him and it didn't take long for them to finish him off.

Edited by Grond0, 22 February 2014 - 06:57 PM.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

Kevin Lynch wrote...
Will do! B)

Nice.

I'd suggest "BG 1 and Tales of the Sword Coast No-Reload Challenge," so that the new name mirrors the current title of the BG2 thread (we can of course abbreviate "Tales of the Sword Coast" if it's too long). Does that make sense to everyone?

Best,

A.

Btw. Condolences Gate and Grond0. Have you selected a new pair yet?

Edited by Alesia_BH, 22 February 2014 - 08:58 PM.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Gate70/Grond0 multiplayer attempt 39 - (update 1)
Serg, Fighter / Cleric / Mage (Grond0) & Naz, human Abjurer (Gate70)
if at first you don't succeed try try try try ... (you get the idea) again

With the previous run ending so quickly we had time to make some decent progress with our next attempt.  The protagonist has been named with the aim of getting some of his namesake's concentration rubbed off on him!

Initial progress included Shoal, Beregost, Nashkel, the FAI and the basilisk area.  In the latter Naz put protection spells up to allow the basilisks to be killed and managed to blind Mutamin at the 4th attempt.  Baerin and Peter were blinded and Kirian and Lindin incapacitated by a stinking cloud before an attack was launched.  However, the latter recovered and charged out instantly, requiring the duo to move around (activating several other enemies in the process).  Those delays meant that Kirian was able to recover herself and her horror spell affected Serg.  Fortunately, though, he ran away from trouble before returning to finish her off; Naz meanwhile had resorted to the wand of frost to kill Lindin (destroying his equipment).  The others were still blinded when the duo finally got around to them.

We took revenge on Bassilus - silencing him then applying a blindfold - before gaining a few more reputation points  from Ardrouine, Charleston Nib & Brage.  The final one to get up to 20 was from the farmer in the ankheg area.  To be honest he really should have been impressed at the way Serg & Naz were able to bring his son's body back to him despite both having insufficient strength to move while carrying it (but not insufficient to chuck it 10 yards forward to the other person).  That allowed some cheap shopping at Ulgoth's Beard for the Cloak of Displacement and Greenstone Amulet.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Stats:
Serg, fighter 4 / mage 3 / cleric 4, 35 HPs, 64 kills
Naz, abjurer 5, 19 HPs, 32 kills, 0 deaths

Edited by Grond0, 22 February 2014 - 09:23 PM.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Alesia_BH wrote...

Kevin Lynch wrote...
Will do! B)

Nice.

I'd suggest "BG 1 and Tales of the Sword Coast No-Reload Challenge," so that the new name mirrors the current title of the BG2 thread (we can of course abbreviate "Tales of the Sword Coast" if it's too long). Does that make sense to everyone?

Best,

A.

Btw. Condolences Gate and Grond0. Have you selected a new pair yet?

Alesia_BH: Since you can't do a Tales of the Sword Coast without BG 1 (but you could do ToB no-reload without doing BG 2, hence the BG 2 thread name), I think just BG 1 No-Reload Challenge would do the job. The rules would specify that the expansion, mods allowed. It's not really critical either way though.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

corey_russell wrote...
Alesia_BH: Since you can't do a Tales of the Sword Coast without BG 1 (but you could do ToB no-reload without doing BG 2, hence the BG 2 thread name)

You can do SoA without ToB and ToB without SoA, but you can't do either without BG2: they're both parts of BG2. 

"BG2: SoA and ToB" makes more sense to me than "BG2 and ToB."

I think just BG 1 No-Reload Challenge would do the job.

That works.

Best,

A.

Edited by Alesia_BH, 22 February 2014 - 09:56 PM.

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts

Grond0 wrote...
The final one to get up to 20 was from the farmer in the ankheg area.  To be honest he really should have been impressed at the way Serg & Naz were able to bring his son's body back to him despite both having insufficient strength to move while carrying it (but not insufficient to chuck it 10 yards forward to the other person).

Must remember the optimal way. Person a stands at the stash-hole and picks up the body just as person b says hello to Farmer Brun. Remind me why we played pass the parcel...

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
True - probably because there are some encounters where the person requires an item to be in the inventory of the character doing the talking ...

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Krak - dwarven barbarian (update 1 - feel the rage)

It's a while since I played a barbarian, so thought I would have a go at that.  As a wrinkle in game play I'm attempting to make progress without ever fighting except under the influence of rage (as usual also not using healing potions - which will be a greater constraint than usual in this challenge).  A couple of hours this morning has seen Krak well on his way and having accumulated huge numbers of HPs.

Krak just bought a few things in Candlekeep and left.  At the coast he chucked a few axes at Shoal, but without much luck and he had to leave without killing her when rage expired.  The second time round he was more successful and acquired a pretty impressive 48 HPs at level 3.

In Beregost Marl, Firebead and Perdue were just talked to, but Algernon and Karlat felt the rage.  A couple of ogrillons took a piece out of him (during rage his AC is only 3), but he survived to return a letter to Mirianne (level 4 - +13 HPs).  He didn't feel annoyed enough at Noober to kill him, but took his frustrations out on the Amazing Oopah.  He shattered an axe in the process and used the ankheg armour to buy a more reliable one from Feldepost.

In the Cloudpeaks Albert got his dog back before Zal and Vax were separated and diced (resting in-between).  The same was done to Sendai and her archers, but Caldo & Krumm were taken on as a pair.  I thought there were too many enemies in the Gnoll Stronghold to easily attack during rage so just returned to Nashkel - where Neira realised her spells weren't much good against rage.

Krak struggled to hit Greywolf and, for the first time since Shoal, had to retreat.  His second attempt was no more successful, but third time proved the charm (level 5 - +14 HPs, second rage per day).  A single rage was enough for the revenant at the Valley of the Tombs and another for the 3 ghastsNarcillicus and his mustard jellies though had to be spread over 3 days to first separate and then take them out under rage.

Consecutive rages were used in a fight for the first time to take out the first group of sirines at the coast (level 6 and the good work continues with +16 HPs), but a single rage was enough for Sil's group.  I had carelessly sold various magic weapons, so had no off-hand weapon for the golems.  However, they didn't last long anyway.

An ogre and his belts were soon parted on the way to the FAI, where Tarnesh didn't have time to realise he'd picked on the wrong dwarf.

Unlike with Greywolf, Krak had his eye in against Meilum and rapidly acquired a further fighting enhancement.

Back at the coast Krak went after another group of sirines.  He'd already used one rage to get to them though and had to run away to rest when the last sirine survived his second rage.  Coming back again Krak fought through various encounters to finish off the sirine, getting to level 7 in the process - and a lovely additional 17 HPs.

I had been waiting for him to get the additional 1/2 APR at level 7 before going basilisk hunting, but there was an immediate disappointment there as his first rage was interrupted.  His second rage killed the 3 lesser basilisks in the south, but couldn't quite finish off the greater one and Krak ran away to rest.  Although the green scroll says it lasts 12 hours it doesn't do so and had expired by the time his rest had finished.  Feeling slightly miffed about that I allowed Krak to recruit Korax and just wait while he killed several lesser basilisks without instructions before raging for Mutamin and his pet greater basilisk.  Korax then finished off the last of the basilisks on his own before Krak rested and went after Kirian.  After raging he opened hostilities with a necklace fireball.  Another of those and a few axes accounted for all the enemies.

Moving on to the main quest Krak used a potion of invisibility for convenience in getting down to Mulahey.  One rage saw him badly injured and his supporters toasted, before a second finished him off.  Krak also opened up with a fireball against the amazons, but just used his axes to finish them off.

Nimbul fell to the first love-tapTranzig was running after one hit before exploding into tiny chunks with the second.  Krak has just arrived at the bandit camp.

In uploading screenshots I've realised I've previously used Krak as the name for a barbarian - oh well, it must be suitable thenPosted Image.

Posted Image

Edited by Grond0, 23 February 2014 - 08:12 AM.

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,558 posts

Alesia_BH wrote...
"BG2: SoA and ToB" makes more sense to me than "BG2 and ToB."

To me as well.

@Grond0 & Gate: all the best with your new duo! Hope my namesake will not fail you :)

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts
Good luck with your barbarian Grond0!

Best,

A.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

Serg BlackStrider wrote...
To me as well.

Noted. I don't have strong feelings about the titles, but consistency seems desirable. Here are some options. 

A) BG 1 No-Reload Challenge; BG 2 and Throne of Bhaal No-Reload Challenge
B) BG 1 and Tales of the Sword Coast No-Reload Challenge; BG 2 and Throne of Bhaal No-Reload Challenge
C) BG 1 No-Reload Challenge; BG 2: SoA and ToB No-Reload Challenge 
D) Baldur's Gate I No-Reload Challenge; Baldur's Gate II No-Reload Challenge
E) Baldur's Gate I No-Reload Challenge; Baldur's Gate II: SoA and ToB No-Reload Challenge

Thoughts?

Best,

A.

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,558 posts

Alesia_BH wrote...

Serg BlackStrider wrote...
To me as well.

Noted. I don't have strong feelings about the titles, but consistency seems desirable. Here are some options. 

A) BG 1 No-Reload Challenge; BG 2 and Throne of Bhaal No-Reload Challenge
B) BG 1 and Tales of the Sword Coast No-Reload Challenge; BG 2 and Throne of Bhaal No-Reload Challenge
C) BG 1 No-Reload Challenge; BG 2: SoA and ToB No-Reload Challenge 
D) Baldur's Gate I No-Reload Challenge; Baldur's Gate II No-Reload Challenge
E) Baldur's Gate I No-Reload Challenge; Baldur's Gate II: SoA and ToB No-Reload Challenge

Thoughts?

Best,

A.

The *E* option is most appealing to me.

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
Any of them would suffice. I'd suggest a slight variant of c though, no colon and adding Tales
BG 1 and optional TotSC No-Reload Challenge; BG 2 SoA and ToB No-Reload Challenge

Edited by Gate70, 23 February 2014 - 09:51 AM.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Personally I'd keep it simple as just BG1 No-Reload Challenge and BG2 No-Reload Challenge. That's on the grounds that people who are interested in the distinctions about TotSC and SOA/ToB are likely to understand they're included anyway.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

Grond0 wrote...
Personally I'd keep it simple as just BG1 No-Reload Challenge and BG2 No-Reload Challenge. That's on the grounds that people who are interested in the distinctions about TotSC and SOA/ToB are likely to understand they're included anyway.

I agree that we don't really need to reference the expansion content. Of the options I listed earlier, my choice is D. Your suggestion works too.

Best,

A.

Edited by Alesia_BH, 23 February 2014 - 11:10 AM.

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
Jezebel, BG:EE (open beta) Skald.
* 2 handed sword, * 2 handed weapon style.

They say your whole life flashes before your eyes as you die. I don't know about that but time itself slowed down as Gorion fought for his life and lost, buying my escape with his sacrifice. Even while fleeing the scene I could feel the burning eyes of our attacker on the back of my head.

I tried to hide but barely made it to daybreak before being discovered once more. Fortunately for me it was only Imoen, my cheery step-sister who had set out from Candlekeep to travel with us. She'd left in a rush and was poorly equipped so I handed over a quarterstaff and a pile of arrows, then decided she needed my studded leather armour more than my own need.

The path east led us past Kolssed and into the most unlikely pair of adventurers you can imagine. We kept them company for a brief while, exchanging tales of derring-do and deceitfulness. Then with their guard down I took their equipment and we departed northwards. Imoen said I was such a Jezebel, well yes I am thanks but I can't match her ability to spot diamonds growing out of trees.

Further to the east we met a strange man dressed all in red who points us in the direction of the Friendly Arm Inn. Imoen spots a ring within a rocky outcrop then a second ring on a similar stone. I'm impressed and weave a song about her keen eyesight. I myself cannot tell if she blushes from modesty or is glowing with pride at my appreciation of her talents.

A pair of hobgoblins attacked us outside the walls of the Friendly Arm Inn, I ran away but Imoen shot them down and in a fitful outburst did the same to three more before picking up a flamedance ring. There is a name inscribed on it and Imoen is already scheming about how to change it from Joia to Jezebel.

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
Jezebel & Imoen, page 2.

Imoen is right, a ghoul and five skeletal archers is not a nice ambush and we're lucky the skeleton eyes have rotted away but arrows flying around wildly is still a horrible situation to be in. We ran away.

We almost headed west from High Hedge but realised our mistake and went east to Beregost instead, luckily a brown bear gave up the chase by this point. We sold a diamond after buying Marl a drink and friendly old Firebead gave me a scroll case. We marked their temple on our map then headed south into the wilderness.

Imoen has some good advice for me about how to live in an enhanced world, as as a bard I'm already trying to include this as part of my adventuring tale. No doubt I will figure out a suitable way when I least expect it.
- Avoid Neera at low levels (the enemy wizards can kill a low level party too easily)
- Pause before talking or attacking moving targets (the click lag means the action usually fails)
- Slow and steady with dialogue choices (e.g. quick selection of 3 1 3 3 with Marl is often taken as 3 3 fight)

I'm trying to take Immie's constructive criticism about my unoriginal lyrics on the chin but truth be told it stung me. At least she shot the two ogrillions down and I'm sure my song (Help help I'm being chased by monsters) aided her in some way. She taunted me a bit more about this so I replied in kind after her whine about the long road to Nashkel (Are we there yet, are we there, how far to go, we must nearly be there).

We reach Nashkel that night and in the darkness stumble into someone. Imoen is a simpering mess at the sight of him and I'm not immune myself. We agree to travel with him and then bump into Oublek who mistakes our companion for Greywolf the fearless bounty hunter. "No, I am Rasaad, a Sun Soul Monk" mutters our companion. Imoen and I are crestfallen, having believed that we'd become affiliated with the great Greywolf. I am about to kick him out but Imoen is still simpering. I begrugingly decide to keep him around long enough to toy with his affections, making him question his faith and any celibacy before dumping him if someone better comes along. Well, it's the least I can do and if it shatters Imoen's romantic expectations that's just life.

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
Jezebel, Imoen and Rasaad. Page 3.

Rasaad has many qualities we are learning to appreciate such as always running ahead and into trouble first so we can stay out of it ourselves. I sent him off to bury Gorion, which he did despite a wolf chasing him. He returned with a letter I hadn't got around to picking up but other valuable items such as Gorion's prized belt had been looted by this time.

Shoal the nereid takes 10 arrows and 17 darts thanks to my catchy dirge about her being flat-footed and easily led. Each of us learns something from fighting her, and Rasaad starts to talk about himself. Blah blah blah, I'm the bard here and I'm not that interested unless I can plagiarise some of it.

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
Jezebel, Imoen and Rasaad. Page 4 (Imoen is suggesting I write too much... as if)

Rasaad is evidently still learning the ropes. Against the villainous loggers, Caldo and Krumm, he produced a move he called a Sun Soulray. To his delight it badly burnt both the loggers but did the same to the woodland dryad, and in her panic she attacked Rasaad. Once the two brothers were dead Rasaad moved away and the dryad regained her composure but the lesson has been learnt.

Two ogrillions, Hairtooth and Gnarl, were unable to punch Rasaad before Imoen pinned them to their bridge with arrows. Rasaad was feeling good about progress but a group of xvarts badly wounded him in an ambush so we ran away. He perfected a Sun Soulray on four hobgoblins and grabbed a pair of boots as a survivor hit him with an arrow. Imoen is looking greedily at the boots but she can't have them until I can decipher the label. She says this is unfair but I'm playing by the same rules and have yet to try the two handed sword donated to our cause by Brage or the girdle worn by Krumm.

We picked up a job to help Bjornin the injured paladin. On the way Rasaad spotted Tenygan, Jemby and Zekar so went to see if they needed help before we could suggest otherwise. It turns out they wanted to rob and kill us, so we fought back. Jemby ran off scared and Imoen chased after her.

Rasaad took a poisoned arrow so glugged a healing potion and went for Zekar. Jemby had given Imoen the slip (unbelievable!) and after blundering into two gnolls Imoen returned to shoot Zekar down as I ran away. She then shot Tenygan, taking many arrows while I had to avoid both him and the gnolls. Once she killed him I used burning hands then chill touch to help her finish off the gnolls. We tracked down the half ogres and Imoen killed them before we returned to a temple and raised Rasaad. He suggests we should look for some easier work.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Gate70/Grond0 multiplayer attempt 39 - (2nd and final update)
Serg, Fighter / Cleric / Mage (Grond0) & Naz, human Abjurer (Gate70)

Disappointment was the name of the game once more as this attempt ended prematurely.  The Nashkel mine, bandit camp and the Cloakwood had all gone smoothly, though there was a hiccup when a golem hand proved quicker than the mirror image eye and one-shotted Naz.

After doing the hard work in the Cloakwood mine to get down to Daveorn it should have been a straight-forward task to finish him off.  However, problems with line of sight near walls meant:
1)  Naz leaving a skull trap near where Daveorn starts.
2)  Serg trying to silence Daveorn, but again moving forward unexpectedly to be seen by Daveorn.
3)  The skull trap deciding that the perfect time to go off would be simultaneously with the arrival of Daveorn's patented lightning bolt through the wall trick.

Posted Image

That drawing board's taking a hammering at the momentPosted Image.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Krak - dwarven barbarian (update 2 - burning rage)

The family getting up a bit late this morning had allowed me another 40 minutes or so's play after my last update.

At the bandit camp several bandits fell to one rage and Taugosz to a second before Krak rested.  Slightly to my surprise a single rage allowed him to work through Venkt, Raemon, Hakt and, finally, Britik.

I made a mistake in the Cloakwood when switching from throwing axes to dual wielding against an ettercap and not checking my primary weapon - with fist equipped the ettercap survived much longer than I expected and Krak looked to be in danger of dying from poison.  Rather than allow a promising career to be cut short I stretched a point in relation to my no healing potion rule and allowed him to take an antidote. 

After finishing off the ettercaps, numerous ambushes were easy to run away from and Krak soon arrived at the mine.  Rezdan died of a couple of fireballs during a first rage and Kysus of another during a second - Drasus was also hacked down before Krak had to run and rest before coming back for Genthore (finishing him off with one rage with the help of a LMD).

Krak managed to pull the guards on the stairs near Hareishan back without alerting her and moved on down.  There was a fair amount of running up and down between levels to rest before he eventually cleared a way to the battle horrors.  They were badly injured by fireballs during a first rage and finished off during a second (level 8 - keeping up the good work with +14 HPs).  After more running round to rest, Krak used a potion of magic blocking to advance on Daveorn - causing him to use his spells up.  A single rage was then sufficient to punch through his mirrors, leaving another rage for the mustard jelly without the need for resting again.  Krak rested before the slave at the entrance could talk to him - picking up his second Bhaal horror.

There have been 3 or 4 occasions where I've forgetfully allowed Krak to attack things when not raged, including one occasion when he killed while not under the influence (guards at the top of the mine entrance). 

Edited by Grond0, 23 February 2014 - 06:42 PM.