Photo

Baldur's Gate 1 No-Reload Challenge

• Please log in to reply
16394 replies to this topic

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

BG 1 can be so rough to monks...it's one reason I rarely play them - middle of BG 2 can be lots of fun with 4 atttacks per round, quivering palm etc., but the early levels kind of stink, especially for a solo monk. For my solo fighter types I like potion of magic blocking that encounter, but not sure that would be good enough with the critical hit/AC/HP issues of a monk. Perhaps a potion of magic blocking and throwing darts of wounding at Venkt while evading the melees might do the job.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Gist - human monk (update 1)

I said yesterday I would leave the monks for a bit, but I decided I should use my last day of holiday to try and make some decent progress with one. That will require avoiding risky situations this time.

I've already invested the best part of an hour in rolling up a character with the stats I wanted, i.e. at least 91 total score.  That gives the opportunity to get all stat scores above 19 in BG2 - that always feels appropriate to me for a character with aspirations (or even delusions) to godhood.

Startngrecord_zpsba94fd1c.jpg

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Gist - human monk (update 2)

Gist is well under way and about to go to the Nashkel mine.  He's yet to take any damage.

He had a poor start with only 8 HPs obtained from the 2 levels for killing Shoal, but made a comeback with 9 HPs for talking to Marl.  Tasks around Beregost, FAI and Nashkel almost got another level, meaning Hulrik's xvarts on the way to Firewine Bridge got him to level 5, but just 4 more HPs.

Meilum fell to run and shoot tactics.  Greywolf was mainly the same, though took a bit of damage after being stunned once by a stealth attack.  Neira failed to get to grips with Gist popping in and out of houses.  

Sendai was pulled away from her companions and stunned, before the archers were killed with stealth shots.  The same tactics were used on Zal & Vax before Gist used stealth to bypass enemies on the way to finding Rufie.

Caldo & Krumm were also run around, though Caldo got scared and it took quite a while to track down where he had got to.  Gnarl & Hairtooth were shot up on the bridge (zig-zagging across it to reduce how quickly they moved forward between shots).  Gist came under attack for the first time when his stealth broke on the way in to the xvart treasure cave, but he managed to fight his way out without taking any damage.

He shot a bear up for a merchant, though for no reward, on his way to sell the bits of junk acquired on his travels.  He was attacked for a second time on the way, in a bandit ambush, but the belt of piercing and his innate missile dodging ability proved enough to stay unharmed.

Melicamp would have got Gist to level 6 - if he had survived!  Instead the relevant XP was provided by Zargal and his friends - a welcome 9 extra HPs there.  Some half-ogres were shot up for Bjornin and some worgs for Ardrouine before stealth-shooting Laryssa and conducting Brage back to Nashkel.

Samuel was safely delivered to the FAI, Gist surviving a bandit ambush unscathed for the second time on the way.  He then moved on to the basilisk area where the monsters received a good kicking, Tamah was released from a stony prison and Korax paralysed Mutamin.  That got Gist to level 7 and 10 HPs, meaning he's recovered to 1 above average after his poor start.  Korax was able to paralyse Kirian with his first attack and subsequently got Lindin as well.  Meanwhile Gist successfully stunned and killed Baerin, finished off Kirian and then stunned Peter as well, while the enemies were concentrating on Korax.

Looted the valley of the tombs before heading north.  Some fishermen were punished and Gist robbed the ankhegs using stealth to get a body to return to the farmer - giving him some money as well got Gist to reputation 20.  He celebrated by going to Ulgoth's Beard to buy ring, amulet, cloak, wand of heavens and scroll of mental domination.  The wand was christened by damaging the battle horrors at Durlag's Tower, though both were finished off with stealth attacks.  The amulet then allowed Gist to pick up the tome there.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Gist - human monk (update 3)

Gist has arrived in Baldur's Gate, still untouched by enemies, though he took trap damage in the Nashkel mine.  He stealthed through most of that.  Then, to avoid any danger from Mulahey he just shot him, not giving him the chance to get close enough to talk.

Nimbul survived a stunning blow, but Gist just ran away, waited for mirrors to finish and then hit him again.  After selling a few things Gist went back to deal with the amazons - using a couple of fireballs for the first time, followed by stealth shots.  With the funds from their equipment Gist bought the Claw and Horn of Kazgaroth.

Tranzig saved against 2 stunning blows (hiding in between), but his morale broke as a result and he was shot before he recovered.  At the Bandit Camp Gist used stealth attacks (melee for Chill, missiles for bandits), with some running and shooting for Taugosz - clearing that successfully still without getting hit (though he took trap damage in Nashkel mines).  Inside he tried using the mental domination scroll on Britik, but he saved.  As a back-up Gist ran outside; Venkt and Raemon followed, to be hit by stealth attacks, before Gist went back in to mop up.  For safety he used a potion of absorption to protect against the trapped chest.

Gist used his invisibility ring for the first time to get through the Cloakwood web traps (once again saving against them all anyway).  I had intended to reduce reputation to get horror as a Bhaal ability, but forgot to do so and resting in the Cloakwood provided slow poison.  At the mine Gist opened with 3 fireballs from the shadows to kill the mages.  To stay safe against Drasus' speed he added another 3 before failing to hide and retreating.  Genthore followed him further than Drasus and was shot from stealth before Drasus was finished off with a couple of wand of heavens charges at extreme range.

Gist sneaked down to Daveorn, just killing an innocent miner on the way.  The guard lost most of his HPs while stunned and was finished off with a stealth attack.  The battle horrors were drawn away one at a time and killed with wand blasts and steath attacks.  That got Gist his final BG1 level and an excellent one it was too, with a further 10 HPs.  He had already used one magic blocking potion while luring out the battle horrors and used another on the remaining trap and to foil Daveorn's opening spells.  A series of stealth attacks then finished him off.  Gist also killed the jelly - using sling attack to bring it out to where he could run and hide before the jelly could react to attacks.  Gist claimed, incorrectly, to have talked to Rill.  The loss of 2 reputation took that down to 8 and meant he got horror when resting.

• corey_russell and Blackraven like this

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Grond0 - looks like you are focused with this monk - keep it up! Sounds promising...

• Blackraven likes this

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Thanks Corey - the first job is done ...

Gist - human monk (4th and final update)

In the City Gist picked up the tomes.  Jalantha fell to a dart of wounding and a couple of blasts from the wand of heavens.  However, Marek surprisingly inflicted damage on Gist when stealth failed twice and he chose not to use a potion.  He relied instead on the dart of wounding poisoning Marek and a blast from the wand of heavens, but Marek finished his acid arrow spell despite those.  Gist then used a potion of magic blocking to make sure Marek could not repeat his spell.

As he had taken damage I didn't try and avoid further damage going up Ramazith's tower after the mage was stunned.

Gist sneaked into the Iron Throne and then reported for duty at Candlekeep.  A green scroll of magic protection and storm giant strength allowed him to loot the tombs before he just sneaked out.

Before resting he paid a visit to the temple to boost reputation with some donations - in order to get DUHM as his last Bhaal power.

Slythe was pulled away and attacked with darts of stunning.  He saved against the first one and Gist had to use a potion of invisibility when stealth failed.  However, his second attempt struck home.

At the palace Gist potioned up and then showed himself.  The dopplegangers started hitting him with a couple of criticals, but he scared two of them with a horror before running round and stunning 2 others with his darts.  Liia died, but Belt survived to send Gist after Sarevok.  

He used stealth attacks in the maze, being hit once on the way by a skeleton warrior arrow when his stealth failed.  He then used a green scroll to trip the traps.

He sneaked past the Undercity party to get to the temple.  I realised I'd forgotten potions of perception, but carried on anyway and brought Sarevok out to play with a sling bullet before running him round.  Gist failed to hide more often than not, which made stealth attacks tricky, but he had no speed advantage so missile fire would have been even more of a problem.  However, I managed to keep concentration and the only time Sarevok hit him before the end was when he was badly impeded by a bat (after that he regularly ran through the repeating lightning trap to try and fry any nearby bats).

Gist made it safely back to Belt and has arrived in Athkatla.

• Blackraven likes this

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

Gate70/Grond0 multiplayer attempt 52 - (update 1)
Barbra, half-elf jester (Grond0) & Demaclyne, elf archer (Gate70)

Our latest selections made a solid start to BG1 yesterday, despite the problems of lag and Skype connection dropping.

As usual our progress started with Shoal.  After killing her Barbra found an oddity with her song - if she is still singing when her character record sheet is accessed, she can be affected by her own song.  That's something to beware of in future!

On the way to shoot down Meilum we saved Arabelle from some xvarts, but then decided a burger sounded too tasty to miss out on - no XP for killing the cow though.  Then on to the basilisk area where the monsters were quickly despatched using the green scroll for safety.  Mutamin failed to get close enough to talk before moving on to Kirian's party.  A stinking cloud allowed her to be shot, but Peter did manage to hold Demaclyne - but Demaclyne was already well out of sight and Peter did not go to investigate.  Barbra ran Lindin round until Demaclyne turned up.  Then the duo quickly shot down Peter, before Baerin unwisely indulged in a missile duel with an archer.

Moving up to the FAI, Barbra briefly delayed to give Joia back her ring before coming to see if Demaclyne needed any help with Tarnesh - he didn't.

South again for a trip through the Cloudpeaks.  There were several ambushes there where enemies could only be seen by one of us.  Gate70 did a surprisingly successful job of getting in a bear's way while Barbra was retreating and shooting, but was a bit less comfortable trying to do the same to a xvart (which was happy to switch targets to attack Demaclyne, unlike the bear).  

The reputation gained from the Cloudpeaks meant that, even with Melicamp's death, reputation reached 20 when Demaclyne sneaked into the ankheg nest to retrieve the acid-burned remains of Farmer Brun's son.  That allowed good prices to be obtained at Ulgoth's Beard on the Cloak of Displacement, Greenstone Amulet and Martial Staff.  As a jester I also indulged Barbra with the harp that allows domination.

The amulet was used for safety to take down Bassilus before moving on to the Lighthouse area.  For convenience Demaclyne took a potion of clarity there while getting up close and personal with the first group of sirines.  Sil and her companions were even easier - a stinking cloud allowing them to be quickly shot down.  The golems were victims of some of the magical ammunition gained on our travels.

The final area visited saw Barbra tempted to take on the doomsayer.  Demaclyne was struggling to move through lag, so Barbra just ran the doomsayer round using wand scorchers until finishing the job with a magic missile.  Brage was then conducted safely back to the temple.

BarbraL7_zpsd301ad2a.jpg

DemaclyneL6_zps8bc78974.jpg

Stats:

Barbra, jester 7, 46 HPs, 34 kills

Demaclyne, archer 6, 65 HPs, 127 kills, 0 deaths

Demaclyne's prowess with missiles is not surprisingly giving him a big lead with kills.  Barbra has made some use of her confusion song, but there have been no encounters yet where it's really helped.  She doesn't know invisibility at the moment, but using that in conjunction with confusion could be a fun option against some future enemies.

• Dogdancing likes this

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts

Been away on holiday so Sword of Justice has being lying idle for a while.

Since this is the final update, I will just give a brief account of his adventures.

He went to Restenford and completed The secret of Bonehill easily.

He then did the Baldur's Gate quests.

Then the Stone of Askavaar quest,

Then the Greyclan Episode.

No problems until the return to Beregost. He got stunned and as a result was easily killed by the sorceresses.

He was protected from hold and thought that would be sufficient against stun.

Clearly it wasn't. :(

What potions or scrolls protect against stun?

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Grimwald the Wise said...

What potions or scrolls protect against stun?

Well, potion of magic protection would give you 50% resistance right there, more if you have equipment that brings that number up. Unfortunately the stun is automatic, e.g. no saving throw so you have to MR resist it OR have at least 90 HP (e.g. CURRENT HP not maximum). Scroll of magic protection of course would work as well. Other than that, not many options for potions/scrolls.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

Well, potion of magic protection would give you 50% resistance right there, more if you have equipment that brings that number up. Unfortunately the stun is automatic, e.g. no saving throw so you have to MR resist it OR have at least 90 HP (e.g. CURRENT HP not maximum). Scroll of magic protection of course would work as well. Other than that, not many options for potions/scrolls.

Green scroll of magic protection would seem a good option against mages.  There's also an option within the Fixpack for free action to protect against stun - I don't know if you've got that in your installation.

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts

I had taken potion of magic protection, so I guess I was unlucky.

Usually I have a mage with me and use summons to take the brunt of the spells. With a solo paladin that isn't an option.

Didn't use that option of fixpack. :( I thought I had. I now have.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Pivot - human monk (update 1)

I was at a loose end early this morning before work, so thought I would start another monk.  He's just had a couple of blips, but has made generally good progress and is about to return to Candlekeep.

The first potential problem was against Kirian's gang.  Things looked to be going well there with Korax successfully paralysing Kirian, Lindin and Peter.  However, Baerin saved against 2 stunning blows while shooting Korax before turning to face Pivot.  He briefly ran to get into the shadows again - meaning that Baerin switched back to Korax, killing him just as he died himself on Pivot's return.  Kirian died while still paralysed, but Peter recovered while being attacked and started casting hold person.  Pivot had no protection against that so resorted to fireballing himself to finish off Peter before running and shooting Lindin.

The other dangerous moment was when Pivot started a stealth attack on a golem and it began to move. I should immediately have run, but didn't do so.  As a result Pivot's stealth broke, giving the golem the chance to get an attack in.  With 43 HPs that left him potentially vulnerable to a one-shot critical, but he got away with it.

One other point of interest was in the Cloakwood.  For the final ettercap guarding the web traps I thought I would try and drag it out using a fireball.  However, probably because its script only seems to trigger at the same time as the web trap it paid no attention and eventually soaked up half a dozen fireballs before dying - which was a very inefficient use of resources.

I've been holding Pivot's reputation down, so the only things he's bought so far are the necklace of missiles and protection from petrification scroll.  That means he's got over 100k gold available to splurge at some point.

RecordL8_zpsed86adb4.jpg

His HPs are poor, which is going to require a bit of extra concentration to survive in BG2. 

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

@Grond0 - looking good so far. At least in BG 2 you have ioun stones to help deal with critical hits. One stone even gives an extra 10% HP, that could be of use. Can monks use bracers? If so that AC 3 bracer could be a big help too.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
I did have in mind getting the green ioun stone early on this time, but that requires getting through to BG2 ...

Pivot - human monk (2nd and final update)

In Candlekeep Pivot robbed the tombs.  He left Prat alone, but did bring along a green scroll to deal with the basilisks.

After doing reputation quests to raise that to 20 he did some shopping before going to collect the remaining tomes.  

Back in the City Slythe was stunned by a single dart from the shadows.  At the palace Pivot took various potions and also used a defensive harmony scroll before showing himself.  His 2 horrors scared a doppleganger each and a further one was killed in between while another suffered morale failure.  At that point Liia died, but there was only a single doppleganger attacking Belt, while the last functional one was attacking Pivot.  He had taken damage, but I decided to finish off the doppleganger on Belt before running and using darts on his attacker.  That proved a mistake as the doppleganger killed him ...

I wasn't looking closely at the rolls, but thought Pivot must have been pretty unlucky to have died given that only a single doppleganger ever attacked him with his AC at -10.  To check that, I loaded the autosave, but this time didn't use horror at all.  Despite that, Pivot had no trouble killing the 4 attacking the dukes, while the 2 that attacked him inflicted only a small amount of damage.  Oh well, that's the luck of the draw at the palace - the only encounter in the game where I think you can make no mistakes, but still die.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Grond0 said...

Oh well, that's the luck of the draw at the palace - the only encounter in the game where I think you can make no mistakes, but still die.

I agree with that, but only for solo. A full party should be able to succeed nearly every time I think, in vanilla (well on insane may be another matter, not sure there). Tough break, in any case. For my solos, I like using powerful ranged bow ammo, but of course not an option for a monk.

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts

Knight of Magic, Tiefling, Chaotic Good.

Str 18/90, Dex 19, Con 18, Int 19, Wis 18, Cha 4.

Tiefling gives +1 Dex, +1 Int, -1 Cha, -10% experience, Blindness once a day, plus extra 10% in some resistances.

Baldr000.jpg

The +1 sword that I gave Shank meant that he took 5 HP from me before he died. A warning for when I am not a fighter!!

After being ambushed I killed several diseased Gibberling, a dire wolf and Tarnesh. Tarnesh caused me to panic, but I had previously cast shield which meant that he didn’t do too much damage, 6HP in all. By the time I recovered from horror his mirror image had gone and I killed him quickly. Sadly, Tarnesh killed a guard whilst I was out of sight. :(

Baldr002.jpg

I headed northwards, killed a few bandits and helped Tenya against some evil fishermen. That brought my fighting skills up to level 2. I then killed an Ankheg which brought my mage skills up to level 2 also. :)

Baldr003.jpg

I then headed south, calmed Marl and got a book for Firebead.

Further south I blinded an Ogrillon and killed another in melee. I then used my bow to kill the blinded one.

After resting I fought an over-officious Flaming Fist Mercenary and after donning his armour killed two more.

Upon reaching the carnival I rested and immediately gained the ability to heal.

In Nashkel I had a long conversation with Noober and gained another level. :)

I then found Rufie and helped a dryad gaining another level. I am now level 3 fighter and level 3 Mage.

I then killed two winter wolves.

Baldr004.jpg

On the way back to nashkel I met a bear.

Baldr005.jpg

Upon returning to Beregost I got into a fight with Silke. I hurt her badly and she ran inside the Red Sheaf Inn. I followed her inside and was attacked by both her and Karlat. However, after smiting her again, she ran outside. I fought and killed Karlat and then once more followed Silke and killed her.

Baldr006.jpg

Upon going inside a house, I met a woman whose friend had been turned into slime. I went to find Tulbor who did this deed and found him lying dead on the floor. :o  Clearly the lightning bolt that Silke had aimed at me had killed him. There was no potion on his body that would have enabled me to help the slime, only a couple of healing potions. I looked for the innkeeper also, but couldn’t find him. However, at the bar there was a pile of 24 gold pieces. It seems that the lightning bolt killed him also. :o

I then rested at another inn and was able to identify all my equipment as well as recover from my wounds.

It was then the turn of Perdue and Melicamp to be helped. I succeeded in helping Perdue, but Melicamp sadly died.  :(  However, in the attempt, I became a level 4 fighter as I killed the wolf trying to kill him. :)

Was asked to kill Bassilus which I did without too much problem. Went to sell the crossbows at High hedge and upon returning killed a dread wolf which made me a level 4 mage. :)

Looks like next time I will have to halve the size of my jpegs.

• Blackraven likes this

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

Gate70/Grond0 multiplayer attempt 52 - (update 2)

Further progress today saw this duo almost into the end game.

After rescuing Samuel they made their way through the Nashkel mine with Barbra struggling (nearly always in vain) to hit enemies before they were splattered by Demaclyne's arrows.  Mulahey was offered no chance after being incapacitated by a stinking cloud.  The amazons were also disabled by stinking cloud (and a newly learned web) and Nimbul also got stunk out - much to Demaclyne's disgust, requiring him to wait to pick over the remains.  

He showed he needed no help by quickly shooting down Neira and Tranzig on the way to the Bandit Camp and soon worked through the enemies there.  After stealthing into the main tent he shot Hakt, while Barbra popped in with a scorcher before running out of the tent to avoid Venkt's horror - he didn't get the chance for another cast.

In the Cloakwood Demaclyne immediately got stuck in the first web trap, but Barbra killed the approaching huge spider before it could eat this tasty snack.  Demaclyne was also trapped by a web near the ettercaps, but managed to stay out of sight there.  Inside Centeol's lair both characters ran round shooting and scorching to deal with the spiders and acquire Spiders' Bane.  The only other action on the way to the mine was picking up a potion from Laskal.  At the mine stinking cloud and web together with fireballs quickly dealt with the mages, while Demaclye shot Drasus.  He ventured too far trying to get at Genthore though and got stuck, but recovered quicker than his enemy and finished him off with a single shot once the spells ended.

Both characters took significant damage on the way down to Daveorn, but they didn't rest before killing the battle horrors with wand blasts.  Demaclyne did then take a few healing potions before using a green scroll of magic protection to approach Daveorn.  He only needed that protection for a single round as his arrows cut through the mage's defenses (oddly he seemed not to have mirror images or protection from normal missiles active).

After flooding the mine the duo moved on to the City.  Barbra finally got around to buying missing spells (invisibility for instance would have been useful in the Cloakwood mine) before the duo picked up the tomes, Balduran's Helm & Cloak and the Gauntlets of Ogre Power without trouble.  Demaclyne has sneaked into the Iron Throne ready to report for duty at Candlekeep at the start of the next session.

Stats:

Barbra, jester 8, 53 HPs, 72 kills

Demaclyne, archer 7, 78 HPs (incl. 5 from Helm), 244 kills, 0 deaths

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts

It was then the turn of Perdue and Melicamp to be helped. I succeeded in helping Perdue, but Melicamp sadly died. However, in the attempt, I became a level 4 fighter as I killed the wolf trying to kill him.

I helped a boy against some worg, helped the archaeologist and Brage before returning to Beregost.

I then returned to the sirene-infested area and wiped out them, some carrion crawlers and dread wolves thus becoming level 5 as both fighter and mage with a reputation of 20.

At the carnival I fought and killed Zargal, but sadly was not able to save the mage he was attacking.

In Beregost for a moment my Tiefling heritage came to the fore and sadly I killed Algernon for no other reason than that I wanted his cloak.

I gave 600 gold pieces to the temple to try and atone, but my reputation was still far lower than it was. I together with Geltik fought Greywolf and won, Geltik sacrificing his life for the cause. That raised my reputation a little. I then returned Samuel to the Friendly Arms Inn and I once again became a hero.

I became an even greater hero by helping farmer Brun, but then bit off more than I could chew by fighting two Ankh… :(

It must have been a severe critical hit as I was doing OK at the time. I had just killed one of them and was about to move in on the other.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Tough break there Wise. If solo, acid protection scroll might have been a good idea to minimize the risk. You didn't do something silly like have ranged weapon equipped while in melee range, did ya? Ankheg would get +4 to hit and damage if you did.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

Gate70/Grond0 multiplayer attempt 52 - (3rd and final update)

It didn't take long today to finish this run off.

In Candlekeep Demaclyne used a magic protection scroll to loot the tombs.  He was actually hemmed in by phase spiders at one point, but his green scroll of protection from poison meant he had only taken moderate damage by the time they were finished off.  Prat was left alone but another variety of green scroll allowed Demaclyne to take out the greater basilisks on the way out.

Back in the City the duo shopped for a few potions and magic arrows before going after Slythe - he was dispelled and shot down out of sight of Krystin.  Moving on to the palace Barbra summoned some monsters to help occupy the dopplegangers while they were shot up with dispelling arrows.  They did succeed in killing Liia, but didn't manage to do Belt much harm before Sarevok made a run for it.

The maze saw various dead jellies, but Demaclyne didn't fancy taking on the skeleton warriors and stealthed past them; the Undercity party were also left unmolested.  In the temple Demaclyne shot Sarevok from distance to pull him away from the others.  While he was occupied with a couple of groups of summoned ogres a variety of arrows and magical missiles quickly saw him to the breaking point.  You can see that we were still suffering significant lag during this session with Demaclyne storing up the damage from 3 separate arrow attacks to finish off Sarevok.

After reporting back to Duke Belt the duo moved on to Athkatla.

Stats:

Barbra, jester 9, 61 HPs, 78 kills

Demaclyne, archer 7, 78 HPs (incl. 5 from Helm), 265 kills, 0 deaths

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Congrats, Guys!  Best of luck in Amn.

Charlestonian Knight Templar

• Members
  • 981 posts

I’ve had my fill of bad guys for a while, although I have an interesting CE Ranger/Beast Master prepared w/a Quasit familiar. I just have a hard time being a bad guy. I especially find it hard to be cruel to Imoen.    

So I’ve taken my new PC straight from the Arthurian Legend and straight from the 1st Edition of Deities and Demigods, by TRS, Inc.1 All his traits are directly from that manual. 

I chose the Arthurian hero Gawain, mostly b/c I found some really cool digital art images of him by Infernal Finn (Dante) @ DeviantArt.com (Used w/permission). 

a9d5e1084a05d9685764a91f661e1f.jpg

I took his stats exactly as they were in Deities & Demigods. Gawain is a Knight of Quality as described in the Arthurian Heroes section. Many of the knights there are Paladins, e.g. King Arthur, Sir Galahad, but Gawain is a fighter. That will make it tough early on b/c he has no protection against mages & we all know what awaits the PC early in the game. While Gawain is the favorite cousin on King Arthur, who is Lawful Good, Gawain, himself, is Neutral.

Gawain has been given a magical gift of unusual nature. From 9 in the morning until 12 noon, he gains strength. From 9-10 he has a 19 strength; from 10-11 he has a 20 strength; and from 11-12 his strength is 21.

After 12 his strength returns to normal…

this man was a revengeful knight & would travel to the ends of the earth

to right some supposed wrong done to him or his family…”1

There’s no way, as I can tell to do the strength increase except to use real time. So when I am playing during those hours (usually weekends only although I may be recovering from dental surgery early to mid-week this coming week).  So when I’m playing between 9 & 10, I’ll set his strength to 19; 10-11, I’ll set to 20, etc.  I’ll use an alarm to remind me when to change & change back. 

I plan to play Gawain through one way or another. I’ll start in the ‘No Reload Challenge’ & move to the ‘Minimal Reload’ if I need a reload. I’m tired of spending hours developing a persona & losing him to something stupid like I did w/my former Anti-Paladin, Ironside who, @ 8th level died to a combination trap & Ghast.  I will play to clear every square inch of BG1/TotSC.  IAW AD&D Rules circa 1980, as a fighter he will become a Lord @ 9th Level & his name will change to include his title Sir Gawain (as he is in the Arthurian Legends) will continue into SoA/ToB &  marry Nalia & become Lord of the De’Arnise Keep. Until then he is just Gawain, foster son of a minor nobleman, Gorion. His Medium image is the armor he visualizes acquiring someday even, if now, he begins w/meager armor & equipment.  I expect him to team w/the usual suspects throughout.

Key Event: None

Treasure of Note: None

Current Disposition: Beginning in front of Candlekeep Inn

f80045bd60ccd987b34431cc7a425e.jpg

Next Steps:  Leave Candlekeep @ Gorions urging

Level Up: None

Current Party: (Reputation: 10 - Average)

Gawain: Ftr/1; Q/Staff

9b0f50bdda379acec2bc5733fcd28e.jpg

Mods Used: HardTimes-v2; BG1UB_v12; bg1npc-v20; X0black101 (Blackguard); MegaModKits v1.01L; level1npcs-v1.9; bg2_tweaks-v14; Randomizer-v68; scs-v21 (- Tactical Challenges)

Blue Font: New information;

Red Font: Monster encounters (first use)

(Best kill)(Current AI)

• Members
  • 981 posts

My leaving Candlekeep has given me purpose. At first I had no real knowledge of what Gorion & I were going to do or where we were going. Neither did he, he admitted. Wherever we would have ended is of no consequence now. My foster father & I were ambushed by a huge figure in dark armor w/glowing red eyes. Alongside his were two ogres & what a take to have been a cleric of some type. Gorion told me to run when I was hit by a spell & I did so to my deep regret. Gorion proceeded to kill both ogres & the cleric, if that’s what it was. The armored figure closed on him & I note that Gorion blasted him w/Magic Missiles & Melf’s Acid Arrows but the armored figure killed him w/his sword when Gorion exhausted his memorized spells & turned to a dagger. Gods I wish I had helped him & I am ashamed.  I made up my mind to avenge him, whatever it takes & that is my sole mission. 

The next AM my sweet friend Imoen was right there offering to help me. I fear for her safety but there’s no was I can say no to Imoen. Not in this case anyway. Together we cleared the loot left from the battle & buried Gorion in a shallow grave. There was an interesting letter on him that talked about events happening sooner than expected, mentioning Khalid & Jaheira (the same people Gorion told me to meet @ the Friendly Arm Inn (FAI) should we become separated.  The letter was signed, ‘E.’

Imoen & I tried to stay close to the road & head directly for the FAI.  Before we could even get back to the road, we came across six Diseased Gibberling’s which I cut down w/Short Bow Support from Imoen. Along the way, we met two characters that Imoen was not enamored w/in the least, one appeared to be a mage, the other a rogue.. I value Imoen’s opinion greatly but I felt the need for the extra companions & they were good enough to offer me a Potion of Healing (PoH). We travelled into the Coast Way, leaving Lions Way behind us. There we met an old man, apparently some type of wizard, who was friendly, even knew Imoen’s name. He seemed interested in me & was good enough to orient us to the FAI.

Shortly afterward, the four of us encountered six more diseased Gibberling’s. My companions were effective w/their ranged weapons & I cut a few down w/my Bastard Sword. We met another fellow, a roguish type but he was planning some pretty nasty business that involved kidnapping & blackmailing, neither of which I want any part of.

Key Event: Arriving @ the FAI, I was ready to rest & heal but as the four of us headed up the stairs to go into the inn, we were hailed & then accosted by a wizard/assassin. I say assassin b/c he had a bounty notice on him & he was looking for me! We all charged, I attacked w/my Bastard sword but before I got to him, Imoen had popped him twice point blank w/her Wand of Magic Missiles while the wormy mage cast a connected w/Larloch’s Minor Drain. The second companion travelling w/us poisoned his blade which I noticed as I was standing next to him @ the foot of the stairs…so I think he’s an assassin. I need to watch him & take care to watch over Imoen. Still, he charged up the stairs to attack the mage but couldn’t get around one of the FAI Guards that had joined the fray. I landed a deep cutting blade that separated him @ the shoulder & immediately afterward the Guard gutted him w/his sword & gets credit for the kill. 

5c40cd59f6aeef56af98771a93bafd.jpg
Assassin #3

We went in & found Khalid & Jaheira who were obvious to me for some reason. They seemed to know me in a way too & offered to join me. I accepted. I’m more comfortable w/them but I haven’t canned the other two just yet.

Treasure of Note: Tarnesh’s Spellbook contains five spells. Imoen scarfed it up/ 

Current Disposition: Sleeping in the common rooms in the FAI.

Next Steps: Head south toward Nashkel as both K&J & the other two seem to be intent on doing so.

Level Up: None

Current Party: (Reputation: 10 - Average)

Gawain: Ftr/1; Stud Leather w/Med Shield, Bastard Sword** (SSS**) (Diseased Gibberling)

Imoen: Charming Rogue/1 w/Stud Leather, Short Bow & Short Sword & WoMM (Diseased Gibberling)(Thief Def)

Khalid: Ranger (Archer)/1 w/Stud Leather, Longbow**, Bastard Sword* (TWS***)(Ranger Ranged)

Jaheira: Priestess of Sylvanus/1 w/Stud Leather, Sling*, Club* (Druid Off/Def)

Montaron: Assassin/1 w/Leather, Dart*, Short sword* (Diseased Gibberling)(Thief Scout)

Xzar: Mage (Necromancer) w/Sling* (Diseased Gibberling)(Wizard Berserk)

Mods Used: HardTimes-v2; BG1UB_v12; bg1npc-v20; X0black101 (Blackguard); MegaModKits v1.01L; level1npcs-v1.9; bg2_tweaks-v14; Randomizer-v68; scs-v21 (- Tactical Challenges)

Blue Font: New information;

Red Font: Monster encounters (first use)

(Best kill)(Current AI)

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

Best of luck with Gawain, CKT.  Watch out for the Green Knight!

• Members
  • 981 posts

Yeah, thanks Grond0.  I'm getting that a lot lately,. lol