Photo

Baldur's Gate 1 No-Reload Challenge

• Please log in to reply
16394 replies to this topic

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Quad multiplayer attempt 3 - (1st Session)

Corey_Russell, Dogdancing, Grond0, Gate70

With the demise of Static in Spellhold, the quad members had just enough time to roll new characters and give it another go. We had finished all Candlekeep tasks and when the session ended were just about to report to Gorion to get the quest under way.  Here are the new entrants:

Protagonist - Nevden

Baldr168_zpsikfhh6mo.png

Wewa Character Sheet (controlled by Dogdancing)

Spoiler

Salix Character Sheet (Controlled by Grond0)

Spoiler

Akxir Character Sheet (Controlled by Gate70)

Spoiler

Like last time, the party was rolled independent of each other. One notice-able thing about this group is that everyone is a shorty - no doubt for save bonuses, which make without potions or buffer more likely to survive. The other is Nevden has a natural 18 CHA, making him a natural leader, as well as buyer for the group (Well technically Salix is just as good - however some encounters are based on the protagonist's CHA, though not many of those, so both will still be useful). This should mean money should not be a problem for this team, despite not having access to friends spell. The other, very prominent feature is that no one wanted to be a thief this time, or a caster. A melee heavy group should power their way through BG 1. This should serve well in ToB as well, as my all paladin groups did excellent in ToB.

Wewa will be the natural tank with her berserker skills. Nevden intends to be ranged at all times, except for ambushes perhaps. Thus he is a plain fighter kit as not to get the penalty for ranged weapons. He also plans to use the Spider's Bane/Lilacor/Sword of Grief if the group gets that far. Akxir may not tank much, but clearly have huge hitting power as the group plows on. And Salix will be a natural off-tank, able to tank adds or kite powerful enemies around while the party range attacks.

In Candlekeep, the party split up the tasks, making it go pretty fast. Dogdancing had gone to bed at this point, so she was being controlled by her 8-year old daughter, Hanna. Babarian rage was used to get the sapphire at Winthrop's - we will likely need to this trick a lot as no one has exceptional strength like 18/00 (Oops - didn't notice Akxir got lucky and rolled that quick) For once, Hull gave the party a magical dagger in return for giving him a quarrel of bolts, so Nevden's charisma immediately pays off.

EDIT: Fixed spoiler tags - forgot to mention who was controlling what character, fixed that too.

• Grond0, Grimwald the Wise, Blackraven and 1 other like this

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts

Quin made it to Davaeorn, and no further. (Edit: that's a no-reload record for me, certainly a sign of progress.)

The strategy: buff up Ajantis to the hilt, make everyone else invisible. Have Ajantis wade in with a pro magic scroll at the ready to use when his buffs expired/were dispelled, while the others stand back out of the way... Nice idea, didn't work.

What happened: I used Faldorn to find the traps leading into the chamber. I didn't realize that disarming the last one would wake up our friend Davaeorn. I fled back to level three to complete buffing. When I went back down to level 4, a whole posse of guards were clogging the staircase, with Davaeorn at their heels. No one could move. Then Davaeorn fired a remove magic at Ajantis. He got the whole party in the area of effect. So much for our invisibility and buffs.

Next came a couple of cones of cold and a fireball... I lasted longer than I expected through that, but in the end, this turned out to be a massacre. I feel like I might have done better solo? Hmm. Back to the drawing board.

Edit: I loaded the game just to see what it would be like solo -- I got much closer to winning by buffing Quin with my remaining potions and green scrolls, and then unloading my fireball wand everywhere, but Davaeorn still came out on top... I'm going to need some more practice.

Edit 2: One more time, and I won. I think my next run I'll do a lot of it with a minimal (or no) party. Although I like the banter...

My last time at Davaeorn was something like that except that the party was buffed. More and more guards were coming down the stairs behind us. However we pressed forward and took out the powerful guys . Then they stopped appearing behind us. :) I think that either moving forward or killing Davaeorn stops the relentless spawning. I didn't investigate by re-loading however.

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts

Diary of Tiny Throatcutter

After the death of Gorion, I headed southwards ignoring his instructions as it seemed that our enemy knew our plans.

As I headed southwards I continued to use the ugly staff that I had found on the body of one of the assassins.

I arrived at Nashkel Carnival and slept whereupon I gained an additional ability to heal.

Retrurning to the main road to Nashkel, I was given a ring that boosts charisma. What a relief!

I did not feel that I was up to fighting demons, so returned to Beregost to do the tasks that I had already been asked to do: Helping the Dudleys; Helping Alanna's neighbour, etc. I got into fights with Karlat, Silke and spiders, and came out on top, thought they helped somewhat by fighting each other too. I charmed both Algernon and some guards to help in the battle. However they just stood there like lemons and ended up being killed. The plus side is that I now have decent armour and shields as well as good hammers and Algernon's Cloak.

Heading northwards I took on some xvarts and an ogre.m I found a couple of belts on the ogre, one of which was saleable, the other being useful for withstanding the assaults of archers.

I found that after I had continuing using the ugly staff my charisma had leaped to 25. I therefore decided to quit while I was ahead and put the staff in my bag of holding. I bought a small sword +1 from the smithy before arriving at the "Friendly Arms Inn." After I charmed a caravan guard he fought Tarnesh very well without any input from me. He clearly has more initiative than those guards in Beregost.

Heading northwards the area was cleared of hobgoblins. Further north still, I helped a widow and a child priestess and after that Farmer Brun. The ankheg were then cleared from the area.

I then headed back south and fought the assassins Tristan and Isolde. I used a potion of freedom followed by using the necklace of missiles twice, centred on myself. Isolde fell and I was then able to defeat Tristan.

I then went to fight Bassilus, Zargal, The sirenes and the doomsayer. I used a potion of clarity against the sirenes. Helped the archaeologist and killed the doomsayer. Helped Brage.

• Blackraven and Dyara like this

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Oops, copy and paste doesn't work with spoiler tags - will fix the character sheet spoilers in my previous post, will do tonight.

• Grimwald the Wise likes this

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts

Oops, copy and past doesn't work with spoiler tags - will fix the character sheet spoilers in my previous post, will do tonight.

I was wondering why I couldn't read your post. :lol:

• corey_russell likes this

Golden28

Golden28
  • Members
  • 277 posts

Hey guys,

I started and finished another BG game with another Eren.

I got fond of a kensai/thief and the last fight with Irenicus and the 2 vorpal kills spurred me on to try one more time. 

This will be my last try, after that I have tried just about every build there is, so...

I decided to kill that annoying sh*t Binky the Buffoon for the first time ever at the carnaval, hell this is my last game ever so why not. As expected no items and -4 rep :D

Schermafdruk%202015-05-09%2014.40.52_zps

Here Eren finished Sarevok after:

-quick quests with Edwin and Kivan, quick kills with fireballs

-all tomes

-all XP heavy kills like sirens and basilisks

Schermafdruk%202015-05-11%2011.04.03_zps

Worthy of note:

-Kivan got confused during the ceremony and shot a flaming fist officer but Belt ignored it

-Sarevok proceeded to 3 shot the female duke and then went STRAIGHT after Belt, getting him to near death before his dialogue triggered.. Phew..

-Eren got wounded heavily during the last battle because Kivan had to gulp all healing because this game I ignored both the belt and boots of missle protection giving Diarmid opportunity to show his archer skills. 

Eren at the end of BG1

Schermafdruk%202015-05-11%2020.24.09_zps

Cheers!

• Blind_Visionary, Grimwald the Wise and Dyara like this

Dyara

Dyara
  • Members
  • 330 posts

Dyara, elven Fighter/Mage/Thief - take 17 (update 1)

At 4 o'clock in the morning Dyara found the hidden Bandit Camp. Sneaking into the camp she saw round 30 bandits (some ordinary Bandits, Black Talon Elites, ordinary Hobgoblins, Hobgoblin Elites and Chill Hobgoblins) not counting those probably inside all the tents and the cave.

Spoiler

As the sun was about to rise Dyara decided to postpone her attack on the camp till nightfall... more than enough time to think about a strategy.

A potion of defense and a shield spell would make her AC vs. missiles go down to -17 (it became -12 as Dyara opted for the boots of stealth for better hide skill), also she had 70% cold protection (from helm and cloak) and two oil of speed should make her fast enough to attack, run away and hide at will. In case something would go wrong she had more than enough potions of (extra) healing and two potions of invisibility, also she would memorise invisibility twice. And for some area damage she had two potions of fiery burning.

At 22 o'clock Dyara started her assault from the west. With every dead bandit more bandits were alarmed and after her...

Spoiler

It didn't took long and the bandits were joined by their leaders...

Spoiler

As one of them was a mage and Dyara wasn't really well prepared to fight mages she decided to take out Venkt first...

Spoiler

With the only dangerous foe gone the rest became very easy. To speed things up Dyara used her two potions of fiery burning (for 165 damage and 113 damage)...

Spoiler

Then one by one they all died with Raemon being first...

Spoiler

Britik next...

Spoiler

... Hakt following...

Spoiler

... and finally Taugosz Khosann...

Spoiler

The hobgoblin leader Ardenor Crush had tried to hide in the woods but to no avail...

Spoiler

The remaining bandits (including those in the tents and the gnolls in the cave) were killed as well. After reading the letters Dyara went south to Peldvale saving Viconia (and taking her in for -2 reputation). At the Friendly Arm Inn Dorn joined for another -2 reputation. At Nashkell Dyara became attacked by an amnian soldier (the Nimbul fight had reduced the number of soldiers to just one and that one was hostile because he had been (most likely) attacked by a confused Dyara). In self-defense  unfortunately Dyara had to kill the soldier (for another -8 reputation)...

Spoiler

Dyara felt very terrible about that and when they rested in the inn she had one of those nightmares again...

Spoiler

Donating some money and dismissing Viconia and Dorn restored Dyara's reputation.

Too be continued...

• Blind_Visionary, Grimwald the Wise, Blackraven and 1 other like this

Golden28

Golden28
  • Members
  • 277 posts

Quin made it to Davaeorn, and no further. (Edit: that's a no-reload record for me, certainly a sign of progress.)

Edit: I loaded the game just to see what it would be like solo -- I got much closer to winning by buffing Quin with my remaining potions and green scrolls, and then unloading my fireball wand everywhere, but Davaeorn still came out on top... I'm going to need some more practice.

Edit 2: One more time, and I won. I think my next run I'll do a lot of it with a minimal (or no) party. Although I like the banter...

Good job BV!

Gl with Daveaorn next time. I always make Eren and other npcs invisible while completely buffed up Kivan runs around and shoots Daveaorn while throwing fireballs with the necklace. Works every time.

Cheers! 

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts

@Golden.

I can quite understand about Binky. He annoyed me once too often too. Don't bother nowadays. :D

• Golden28 likes this

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

Well done Golden - best of luck in BG2.

• Golden28 likes this

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts

The basilisk area was not a problem. I used the pfp scroll and a potion of speed. I was pleased that I managed it with only one potion.

I then went to Durlag's tower and finished it as far as the warders. I didn't give love his wine but decided to leave the lower areas until later.

Being only 17 strength, I discovered that there were a number of chests that I could not get into. I therefore picked up Xzar and Montaron. We went to see Shoal, Xzar dying at her hands and then at the hands of some ogres.

We killed the sirene there as well.

We went to Ulgoth's Beard and I did some shopping whilst Montaron engaged in unlawful activities.

I then re-visited the tower with Montaron, Montaron opening a number of chests and getting rid of traps. I left him outside.

I then stormed through the Nashkel Mines and before getting my reward picked up some allies: Ajantis who is another Champion of Torm, Imoen, a mage/Adventurer, Gavin a cleric of Lathander, Dynaheir an Illusionist, and Minsc a Cavalier.

In transit we were attacked by some amazons led by Lamalha who had ogrillon as allies. They were defeated, so we are now ready to visit the bandit camp, having killed Tazok and the group of Brotus Bloodthirsty.

• Blind_Visionary, Aasim and Blackraven like this

Aasim

Aasim
  • Members
  • 1,361 posts

I Ctrl-Y Binky, Habib and both Noober incarnations. Yeah, I'm a dirty cheater.   :blush:

• Grimwald the Wise and Golden28 like this

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts

I Ctrl-Y Binky, Habib and both Noober incarnations. Yeah, I'm a dirty cheater.   :blush:

And after the developers went to so much trouble to make some truly annoying characters! :( You need a few characters like them to make the world believable.

• Aasim likes this

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts

What I sometimes do with them is use Algernon's Cloak, Binky can be made to fight the exploding ogre.

In my set-up Noober can be made to fight the baby wyvern. (Unfinished business).With those two I can protest, "It wasn't me! I had nothing to do with it!"

I haven't done anything like that with Neeber yet, but I usually just kill Habib. No reputation loss there.

As someone who is trying to make the world a better place, I consider getting these characters killed is a service to mankind.

Blackraven

Blackraven
  • Members
  • 1,377 posts
Hey everyone, I'm back with a new playthrough. :)
I've had some problems with my 'BG laptop', Windows 8 explorer to be precise. It made me decide to return to my old laptop (which after having absorbed quite a lot of water last year, seems to be working well). I have a very ambitious setup, with a lot of extra content: stuff like mod NPCs and banter as well as all manner of quest mods and difficulty enhancements that should ensure plenty of future no-reload failures (DSotC, NTotSC, DH, a number of BG2 quest mods I'm unfamiliar with such as Sellswords and Colors of Inifinity, and SCS v21 components I'm not very used to such as equipment gone in the Asylum, and Irenicus Tactics/SCS hybrid in hell). This is my WEIDU log.

Charname is Butch Baylen, LN human Bounty Hunter with very nice, even if not fully optimzed stats (16 STR isn't great for a backstabbing straight thief):02c4fdec7ecec921182ad4fd637c74.jpg
Dualclassing options are kept open this way (Fighter or Mage), but only if it makes sense at some point. The baldurized Blackraven portrait should help me be careful  :P I'm taking a role-played approach, but will use meta-knowledge where convenient to advance the story. (An example: backstabbing still neutral Tarnesh to get access to the FAI.) Butch is lawful in that he is a man of his word, but he's no blind follower of authorities. He doesn't go out of his way to help others, especially where high risk is involved. He'll require compensation for risking his neck for others, which I think fits a Neutral alignment. I've decided not to plan everything ahead in terms of companions, and Butch's eventual personality so that events and companions can shape him. I have a vague idea of him becoming a ruthless but honest mercenary/vigilante type (my favorite archetypes to roleplay). One who, after a few scary or painful experiences (such as NPC deaths) ends up with a committed crew of competent killers. However he might as well fall for 'weaker' companions' charms and end up sticking with them.
NPCs will be roleplayed as well, although the happy patch should allow evil NPCs to stay on board even at high reputations (possible companions like Kagain or Viconia, understand well enough that a good rep serves them). I kitted most of the NPCs with the Level 1 NPCs mod, using some of the nice kits that @CharlestonianTemplar pointed out to me. 

I'm also mixing first person and third person narrative styles, just for fun and because it will allow me to use the third person for dialogues or detailed battle descriptions, and the first person for personal musings. The distinction won't be very clear in the first installment below, but later on, I hope it will. 

Finally I'm thinking of giving Butch a unique item or ability. In this case it would be something to do with crossbows. My idea is to allow specialization in Crossbows and to change the Army Scythe, once purchased, into "Butch's Army Scythe" with an upgrade in SoA (e.g. becoming a +2 weapon, with a +2 Thac0/Dmg bonus, 2.5 APR), and one in ToB (+3 enchantment, +3 Thac0/Dmg bonus, 3 APR). Does anyone know how I make a copy of the Army Scythe in NearInfinity for editing, and where I would find the edited version?

Butch Baylen, 1st BG1 installment

My name is Butch Baylen, until recently of Candlekeep. I’ve been a resident of that bastion of learning for pretty much all my life, receiving education from the monks, and combat training from Fuller, one of the Watchers who taught me the use of the quarterstaff and the crossbow in combat.

A good tenday ago I set out with my foster father Gorion after I shot two hitmen that had been sent by someone - I’ve no idea who - to kill me. At nighttime a party of bounty hunters waylaid us, mere hours after our departure. They too, were after me. Battle ensued and I soon found that my crossbow did little if anything against their heavily armored commander, a brute of a man. My foster father, a wizard of some renown, was more successful with his spells. I saw him dispatch various members of the party. He must have thought himself in control of the situation, and ordered me to run off. I hesitated but I complied. From a distance I observed Gorion casting spell after spell at the armored figure, until he had none more to cast. The man, severely injured, but still standing, then struck Gorion down with a single blow.
I take no pride in my flight, even though I know very well that I acted in conformity with Gorion’s instruction and that I wouldn’t have been able to do much against the brute.

In the morning I ran into my friend Imoen on the Lion’s Way.
Spoiler
She had slipped out of the Keep shortly after she had seen Gorion and me depart. I told her about what had happened, and we went back to the battlefield, a scorched clearing in the otherwise verdant land. On Gorion’s marred corpse we found a letter from one ‘E’ for Gorion, telling him that friends would be awaiting him and me at the Friendly Arm Inn. First however, Imoen and I returned to Candlekeep where we organized Gorion’s interment with the Keeper of the Portal. We also asked for Finch, a gnomish visiting scholar that had been preparing her departure on the same day that Gorion and I left. But according to the Keeper, she had already left Candlekeep. 

Back on the Lion’s Way Butch and Imoen met an eccentric human wizard, Xzar, and a halfling rogue, Montaron (Fighter/Thief with Assassin kit). They were in a bit of a rush to journey south to Nashkel and proposed to travel there together. Imoen didn’t really seem to like them, but after he convinced the two to first accompany Imoen and him to the Friendly Arm Inn, Butch agreed to travel with them. On their way to the Friendly Arm they didn’t take long in seeing the party expand with a fifth member in Eldoth Kron, a Dirgesinger Bard. The party of five took down a few Xvarts and Gibberlings, as well as an Ogre (with Xzar’s loony antics drawing the monster’s aggression and the rest of the crew attacking with ranged weapons).
Spoiler
They made it to the Friendly Arm Inn, a fortified former temple of Bhaal. Outside the party dealt with seven Hobgoblins and found a Flamedance ring on one of them, which they returned to its owner Joia, and Montaron personally took care of a wizard that proved to be another bounty hunter, before the others had even seen him.
Spoiler
Inside the inn a gnome named Unshey claimed to be the owner of a leather belt that Imoen had found on the Ogre and kept for herself. They gave it to Unshey in return for 95 Guilders. They met another gnome, Landrin, who asked them to clear her Spider-infested home in Beregost for her, and Khalid and Jaheira (Gorion's friends), who joined the party. Eldoth, not at all at ease at the Friendly Arm Inn due to some rather unfriendly dealings he had had with its owner Bentley Mirrorshade, left the party.

Khalid is a nervous Fighter/Mage, whose connection with the weave appears to be somehow distorted: he’s a Wild Mage. It might explain his nervousness and his choice to focus more on his martial prowess than on his spell casting. Where Khalid seems to lack some confidence, Jaheira, a very good-looking warrior priestess of Sylvanus
Spoiler
, has it in abundance. Complaining about our 'delay' and that we ought to be in Nashkel, she was a bit domineering for my taste, but then no so much that I outright refused to travel with her. Thus, the six of us headed south to Beregost. The trip itself was uneventful, and the same could be said of the town. There were no bounty hunters, and there was little for us to do in terms of (lucrative) quests. We dealt with Landrin’s Spiders (and reported back to the Gnome), fetched a book for old Firebead Elvenhair, a wizard and frequent visitor of Candlekeep, and we pacified a drunk (with words, rather than arms as Montaron proposed until I told him to shut up). Imoen stole some potions and a Ring of Energy from the Travenhurst family mansion, the most prominent family in Beregost.
There was a very interesting piece of information we gathered from one of the townspeople: a recently issued bounty on the head of a murderer named Bassilus.
Spoiler
We enquired about the details at the Temple of Lathander, the residence of the town’s chief magistrate Keldath Ormlyr. He told us that Bassilus was an evil priest of Cyric who murdered people to animate their corpses. The bounty was no less than 5,000 Guilders… However, there had been no reports of the cleric’s whereabouts in over a tenday.

In the wilds south of Beregost we slew two Ogrillons and took a letter we found on one of them to its addressee, Mirianne. She rewarded me with a Ring of the Princes. In the same area we dispatched a band of Hobgoblins, good for a pair of Boots of Stealth, with our ranged weapons (Xzar was the only one without a ranged weapon). We also had a violent encounter with three Flaming Fist mercenaries who mistook us for bandits and preferred to execute us on the spot rather than take us in for a fair trial as I proposed. They paid for their bloodlust with their lives,
Spoiler
and we took their suits of plate mail armor off them. Khalid and Jaheira took one suit each; the third suit we guarded. It might come in handy for a future warrior companion, or in case Khalid’s or Jaheira’s armor were to shatter. 
(I’m playing with the Hard Times component that makes armor and shields shatter as well as metal weapons.)

“Hey Isolde. Look who we have here, strolling up the path, it looks like Butch.”
Spoiler
Imoen and Butch looked at each other. They knew immediately what time it was: more bounty hunters. The two rogues signaled their companions to retreat, to the north-west, while they ran off to the southwest. The party managed to shake off Isolde, but not her partner Tristan, a warrior. He went straight after Xzar. (Wizards tended to draw more aggression than others, Butch realized, probably because they were feared more.) Thankfully his companion Monty knew how to take care of the warrior. With his posion-tipped darts he finished off Tristan pretty much all by himself.
Spoiler
Jaheira, offended by the bounty hunters in a way that told Butch she did indeed care about him, then went looking on her own for Isolde. Butch, wary of the latter, just finished placing two snares near the party when he saw Jaheira rushing toward him. “She’s here,” she shouted, “but she’s invisible. Run!” The party retreated and saw Isolde succumb to Butch’s traps.
Spoiler
The effectivenessof his traps surprised and pleased Butch. He had taught himself to construct snares back in Candlekeep, but had never thought they would save his life or the lives of his friends. He decided to further specialize in trap setting. 

The six continued through the Nashkel Pass, where bands of Hobgoblins and packs of Gibberlings were no real threat anymore with mail-clad Jaheira and Khalid tanking those creatures easily.
Spoiler
At the Nashkel Inn, a woman named Neira was a threat. She was a priestess, who like others had been enticed by the prize on Butch’s head. With her instant protections she became hard to hit for most of the party (not in the least Butch himself after Neira doomed her). The woman held Monty and, intelligently, went after her other foes (Butch, Jaheira, and Imoen; Xzar and ammo-less Khalid weren’t there).
Spoiler
She cast Rigid Thinking at Butch, who after having left the inn, still had to save vs spell to escape the effect.
Spoiler
(Note: a failed save wouldn’t have mattered that much from a no-reload perspective, since Butch was already outside.) Eventually the priestess ran out of spells, and a well-placed dart by rehabilitated Montaron did her in.
Spoiler
After resting for a bit at the inn, they explored the town and, at both Xzar's and Jaheira's behest they met with Berrun Ghastkill, Nashkel's mayor, who wanted the party to investigate the disappearances of people and the corruption of iron ore in the Nashkel Mines. Butch negotiated a reward, and the party accepted the assignment.
Spoiler

• Serg BlackStrider, Blind_Visionary, Aasim and 1 other like this

Aasim

Aasim
  • Members
  • 1,361 posts

Army Scythe is XBOW06.itm. Right-click on it, "add copy of", name it whatever you want (example xbow98.itm), edit the newly found xbow98.itm and raise it's apr. You won't be able to find it in the game however - to do this you'd have to edit some location, creature, shop or similar and put it there. Or import it via CLUAConsole:CreateItem("xbow98.itm").

• Blackraven likes this

Blackraven

Blackraven
  • Members
  • 1,377 posts

Thumbs up Aasim, for the useful info!  :)

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

She cast Rigid Thinking at Butch, who after having left the inn, still had to save vs spell to escape the effect.(Note: a failed save wouldn’t have mattered that much from a no-reload perspective, since Butch was already outside.) Eventually the priestess ran out of spells, and a well-placed dart by rehabilitated Montaron did her in.

I hope Butch gets the chance to use all the nice special traps...

A character affected by Rigid Thinking in Nashkel can be a problem.  For a solo it really wouldn't be good news when a thief with poor AC starts attacking a large number of Amnish warriors!  With your other party members you would probably have been able to prevent that by shadowing movement with another NPC, but there would still have been a risk if you were unlucky with where Butch moved and when he chose to start attacking the nearest target.

• Blackraven likes this

Blackraven

Blackraven
  • Members
  • 1,377 posts

@Grond0, good point. At the moment RT was cast on Butch, the coast was clear. But the spell lasts one turn. One trick (that I propbably wouldn't have thought) is to have an NPC talk to each approaching guard before they get within visual range of Butch. Talking causes the soldiers to stop and sometimes turn back. 

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts

We swept through all areas until we came to the Cloakwood mines.

We had no difficulty until the bottom of the mines when disarming a trap caused guards to enter behind us. Fortunately the way before us was clear as we had summoned some monsters. These had been attacked with wand of fire or similar. The guards had been burned and as a result guards fought the other enemies. This left a gap through which we ran having already been hasted. We ended up in a side room. Dynaheir cast web and we then used area spells to reduce the enemy to a manageable size. Dcaeorn was already dead by that time.

We killed the assassins on the Baldur's Gate Bridge and will now enter the city.

• Blackraven likes this

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Looks like a nice start Blackraven - I'd be curious if you can keep up this narrative throughout BG 1, SoA and deep into ToB - only time will tell, eh?

• Grimwald the Wise and Blackraven like this

Dyara

Dyara
  • Members
  • 330 posts

Dyara, elven Fighter/Mage/Thief - take 17 (update 2)

From Nashkell Dyara travelled north to Fishing Village where she agreed to help the fishermen and explored the ankheg pit (but did not take the body). At Wyrm's Crossing Dyara agreed to help Tenya and found Nestor's dagger. At Ulgoth's Beard she bought a cloak, a ring, an amulet and a scroll of improved invibility. Also she booked a guided tour of Durlag's Tower...

At Durlag's Tower the two battle horrors went down easily...

Spoiler

Also the upper levels of the tower were cleansed without problems - only the ghost was a little bit annoying with all his stoneskins and prot. from everythings.

Spoiler

In the labyrinth below the tower neither the skeleton warriors nor the greater doppelgangers stood a chance as they could hit Dyara only on a 20...

Spoiler

In the warder fight Dyara successfully separated the four warders allowing her to backstab them one by one with Love being first...

Spoiler

... Fear being second...

Spoiler

... and Pride being third...

Spoiler

For the Avarice fight Dyara drank a potion of heroism and a potion of frost giant strength and switched to full plate mail using herself as a bait. With all his cloudkills, going invisible at will and backstabing Avarice was the most difficult of the four warders but in the end he died as well...

Spoiler

On the level below Dyara just took the potions and returned to Nashkell leaving the rest of Durlag's Tower for another day. Via Nashkell and Beregost Dyara entered Cloakwood Forest where she found Gurke's cloak, helped Aldeth, killed lots of spiders, ettercaps, Centeol, two wyverns (who had waylaid her), Peter of the North as well until she found the Cloakwood mines.

Dyara killed the two guards at the entrance, Genthore was poisoned and then killed with the bow...

Spoiler

Kysus was killed as well (after he had dispelled Dyara's oil of speed) and Brasus became trapped in a grease spell and shot to death...

Spoiler

Rezdan survived as he used a potion of invisibility when he was out of spells. Dyara then used stealth to reach Davaeorn. She disarmed all the traps but the last, Davaeorn knew she was there but he couldn't detect her as Dyara was wearing Gurke's cloak of non-detection. Dyara summoned some gnolls to let Davaeorn waste his spells and hid in the entrance room. After the gnolls were killed Davaeorn teleported there, also lots of guards appeared. Dyara sneaked past them and with everyone at the entrance she was able to fight and kill the battle horrors one by one without getting disturbed...

Spoiler

When Dyara sneaked into entrance room again she saw this...

Spoiler

A web scroll and a grease scroll held the guards in place and with two fireballs they all were killed, also Davaeorn became injured as he couldn't move because of the guards and he didn't teleport...

Spoiler

With arrows of ice and some summoned wolves Dyara then attacked Davaeron and after a few rounds the evil wizard went down...

Spoiler

Dyara then flooded the mine and went to Friendly Arm Inn where she paid a bard to change her reputation (to 11). After taking Dorn in and resting she got her second horror ability. On her way to Baldur's Gate she returned farmer Brun's son (for +1 reputation) and she returned the bowl to Tenya.

• Serg BlackStrider, Blind_Visionary, Grimwald the Wise and 1 other like this

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,558 posts

Nice work, Dyara. Keep it up!

• Grimwald the Wise and Dyara like this

Blackraven

Blackraven
  • Members
  • 1,377 posts

Good stuff Dyara! :D

Looks like a nice start Blackraven - I'd be curious if you can keep up this narrative throughout BG 1, SoA and deep into ToB - only time will tell, eh?

Hopefully I can :D Normally the writing isn't the problem though. My roleplayed run usually don't last long for other reasons ;)

Ok Butch's story continues. As a correction to my previous post, which contained the wrong WEIDU-log (of an install I deleted after most SCS v30 AI components failed to install), I'm giving you my actual WEIDU-log. As you can see it contains a number of Tactics components I've never used, something I hadn't mentioned before.

Butch Baylen, 2nd BG1 installment

We traveled to the Nashkel Mines, but I aborted our expedition when we ran into another bounty hunter, a fearsome Dwarf.

Spoiler
I’m not so foolish as to undertake an undoubtedly dangerous mission like investigating the troubled Nashkel Mines while at the same time having to deal with one or several bounty hunters that are waiting for the opportunity to take my scalp. Besides, to be honest I’m still more interested in Bassilus and the 5,000 Guilder prize on his head than in those mines, but that’s something only Imoen knows. The others are more interested in the mines, for reasons they refuse to clarify. I wish they were more forthcoming with information.

Either way, we decided to return to Beregost. We rested at the Nashkel inn, but I had this very strange dream. I only remember flashes of it. I had decided to go back to Candlekeep, but when I arrived, at nighttime, Gorion’s spirit told me at the gates that I couldn’t enter, and that I had to go on. He gestured toward the dark woods, where a smooth path suddenly revealed itself. I soon found myself walking it, and from somewhere unseen a sinister voice spoke: “You will learn!” When I awoke, I somehow knew I had the ability to heal people. I assume it to be a divine gift, as commonly received by priests and paladins. But no deity revealed himself or herself in my dream, except maybe for the voice I mentioned. At any rate the timing of the dream and the gift couldn’t have been better. Just south of Beregost we were attacked by Hobgoblins, some of them archers with poisoned arrows, and they hit Xzar twice. The first poisoning he stopped with an antidote, but the second time it was Jaheira’s healing and mine that kept him alive while we made our way to the nearest inn, the Jovial Juggler.

Spoiler
We rested, and Xzar recovered fully.

The next morning we met a wounded Paladin, Bjornin, who had a commission for us. There were four bloodthirsty Half-Ogres terrorizing the lands south, southeast of Beregost. The creatures had injured him, and he wanted us to deal with them. For a change I didn’t negotiate a reward, trusting that his honor as a Paladin would tell him to pay us for our work. We asked around for news about Bassilus, but all we learnt was that the bounty was still unclaimed.

The Half-Ogres we found and slew without difficulty although Montaron suffered a rather heavy blow at some point. Traps and ranged attacks did the job.

Spoiler
The companions then traveled northward, to return to Beregost via the Red Canyons. 

“No stay back, lest this madness be catching,” a stranger warned.

“Calm down. What is this madness of which you speak?” Imoen replied.

“There be a fiendish hen to the east that, when I picked her up, she spoke to me in a most human voice!” 

All of the companions were intrigued by the man’s words, and they decided to look for the hen. They found it under attack from a hungry wolf. With ranged artillery they slew the wolf, and when they approached the hen it spoke indeed. Apparently the hen was an unintended polymorph form of a human mage apprentice, Melicamp. Melicamp begged the party to take him to his master, the archmage Thalantyr. They agreed, partly out of curiosity of what Thalantyr would do, and partly because they hoped Thalantyr would reward them for their effort with a magical trinket or two. 

On their way, a young boy, Footy, told the party he had been observing Bassilus and his ‘funny spooks’. The kid led them toward a ritual site, a large stone circle. From a distance they heard Bassilus speak to his ‘family’, a couple of Skeletons and Zombies. The party retreated, wary not to divulge their presence, in order to discuss a strategy to deal with Bassilus. But they were noticed and attacked by a remarkable alliance of four bandits, five Skeletons and a Ghoul. Some of the companions took a few hits, but with their superior marksmanship there was never any doubt they were going to prevail.

Spoiler
After that battle, Butch carried out a quick search of the corpses for possible treasure but had to stop when a new enemy presented itself: a trio of Hobgoblin bandits. One of them was a hasted, sword-wielding brawler. The others were archers that, as other Hobgoblin archers, liked to coat their arrows in poison, both Xzar and Imoen discovered.
Spoiler
The hasted swordsman hit hard, hard enough to strike down Khalid and Montaron before any of the Hobgoblins had fallen.
Spoiler
By then Jaheira had closed in on one of the archers, and finished the creature off with her club. Butch shot the other archer down.
Spoiler
Jaheira’s attempt to fight the swordsman in close combat nearly cost her her life (1 HP).
Spoiler
She retreated, and on her last legs, had to run for her life with the Hobgoblin pursuing her. Thankfully Imoen and Butch didn’t take long in taking their foe down with bolts and arrows.
Spoiler
This was the bloodiest battle the party had been in, and it gave Butch a lot to think about.

I’m no healer, but both Khalid and Montaron looked pretty dead to me. They were certainly beyond Jaheira’s healing skills, let alone my own. Much to my chagrin we had to call off our confrontation with Bassilus, and visit the Temple of Lathander, not to receive 5,000 Guilders but to beg Keldath Ormlyr to help us with Khalid and Montaron. Fortunately the priest was able to get both the Half-Elf and the Halfling back on their feet, and he didn’t charge much for it. 
Still, the experience with the Hobgoblin fighter worries me. Surely there are deadlier warriors out there, and yet this one squashed my warriors like mere bugs. Even Jaheira, arguably my strongest frontliner had to flee and barely escaped. Our party needs either a more resilient frontliner or better equipment. Both seem hard to come by though.

Khalid and Montaron required several days rest to fully recover, but I didn’t have time for that. I had to take that bounty on Bassilus’ head. Xzar stayed with Khalid and Montaron; Jaheira, Imoen and I continued. We reported our success against the Half-Ogres to Bjornin. He did not disappoint in expressing his gratitude, rewarding us with an enchanted shield. We also returned Melicamp to Thalantyr and were impressed with the latter’s successful restoration of his apprentice (much less so with his non-existent appreciativeness for our help).
Near the High Hedge Kivan, an Elven Feralan Ranger and hunter of bandits, offered to join us. We accepted the offer. Armorless, he didn’t look like the frontliner I was hoping to recruit into the party, but he did show us his skill with his longbow when we had to fight three Gnolls.

In Beregost while shopping for ammo, we met a Dwarven warrior by the name of Kagain, a Wizard Slayer, in one of the stores. He ran a mercenary business that provided protection for trade caravans along the Coast Way. One of the caravans he was supposed to protect had gone missing however, and he needed to find it. We agreed on a temporary alliance. We would help him track down the caravan and in return he would join us on our quest in the Red Canyons. 
We didn’t take long in locating the caravan, but still too long. The carts had been seized by bandits, the travelers killed.

Four of the bandits were still lingering at the crime scene. The party confronted them, but they learnt that these were no ordinary bandits. At least their leader wasn’t. She was a feisty blonde who seriously injured Jaheira with a well-placed arrow or two. Jaheira disengaged and called upon Kagain to fight the woman. Curiously the bandit kept launching arrows at Jaheira, ignoring Kagain and the others. The woman’s poor tactics allowed the company to finish her off in a collective effort.

Spoiler
The other bandits weren’t as big a threat; they fell fast without doing much harm if any.

Kagain found a fibula of Eddard Silvershield, the only son of the wealthiest and most influential family in Baldur’s Gate, and realized that with the death of the boy the fate of his enterprise had been sealed. He offered to stay on for an indefinite time. Butch, not sure yet what to think of the Dwarf, was in no rush to accept the offer but he didn’t want to dismiss it either. He thanked Kagain for it, and bade him to accompany him to the Red Canyons to fulfill his side of the bargain. The rogue knew that Kagain might be the tough frontliner he had been hoping to meet, but he didn’t want to make the Dwarf feel too important (that might only lead to quarrels about the prize on Bassilus).

The party of five traveled to the Red Canyons. It was dark when they arrived, which allowed Butch to approach Bassilus’ circle unseen. He was pleased to find the priest but less so about the fact that the undead family had grown a lot bigger. The rogue placed his traps outside the stone circle, hoping to lure the priest into them later, should a friendly settlement prove unfeasible. They then confronted the Cleric and tried to convince him to come to Beregost with them. Bassilus didn’t like that idea at all. He started an incantation. But Kivan’s and Imoen’s arrows, Kagain’s throwing axes, Butch’s bolts and traps and Jaheira’s bullets thwarted all his attempts at spell casting (except for a single Sanctuary). He did dish out some damage in close combat, with Kivan and Jaheira being the dupes, but he fell soon enough. It was Kagain who struck the priest down.

Spoiler
The companions presented Bassilus’ Holy Symbol to Keldath Ormlyr and received the 5,000 Guilder prize in return. It prompted Kagain to repeat his offer to stay with the band. Their wealth now surpassed 15,000 Guilders but (thanks to the Hard Times mod) that didn’t mean they were actually able to afford the finest goods they had found for sale at Beregost’s Smithy and at Thalantyr’s.

• Serg BlackStrider, Blind_Visionary, Grimwald the Wise and 1 other like this

Dyara

Dyara
  • Members
  • 330 posts

@Blackraven: very nice to read (hope it lasts very long.. keeping fingers crossed)

And thank you both :)

• Grimwald the Wise and Blackraven like this