Photo

Baldur's Gate 1 No-Reload Challenge

• Please log in to reply
16394 replies to this topic

Blackraven

Blackraven
  • Members
  • 1,377 posts

Hey Crevs, first I see you lurking here again, and now you've joined the fun! Tha's great :D
All the best for your badass character.

Btw, I can't see the embedded images (and my current connection is fairly good for a change).

• Grimwald the Wise and CrevsDaak like this

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Good luck in your run, Crevsdaak. In your write-up you mentioned you used a ton of blue potions from the poison from hobgoblin elites - more efficient is the antidotes (purple or green potions). I always have one antidote on any character. This is especially important in the Cloakwood or Candlekeep Crypts, as trying to save yourself with blue potions from the powerful phase spider poison would be a risky proposition.

• Grimwald the Wise, Blackraven and CrevsDaak like this

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

Screen%20Shot%202015-07-18%20at%2011.39.

Edit: do the embedded (not the linked) pictures work, or is it just my crappy connection?

Nice to see you underway CrevsDaak.  The embedded pictures didn't work for me either. A bit of experimentation suggests the Forum is unable to fetch the file from there - I'm not sure if that's the result of using a secure (https) connection.
  • CrevsDaak likes this

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,558 posts

Safe travels, Crevsdaak!

• CrevsDaak likes this

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

Welcome CrevaDaak!

And good hunting, Sarieln!

Best,

A.

CrevsDaak

CrevsDaak
  • Members
  • 17 posts
Thanks everyone!  :)

Good luck in your run, Crevsdaak. In your write-up you mentioned you used a ton of blue potions from the poison from hobgoblin elites - more efficient is the antidotes (purple or green potions).

Actually the Poison wasn't a problem, their arrows were even worse (I had only a single Antidote, but their poison is weak and rans off quickly) and they kept hitting, me so I preferred wasting Healing Potions instead of dying to a bunch of Hobgoblins.

Also edited the post, now all images are linked.
  • Alesia_BH and Grimwald the Wise like this

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Thanks everyone!  :)
Actually the Poison wasn't a problem, their arrows were even worse (I had only a single Antidote, but their poison is weak and rans off quickly) and they kept hitting, me so I preferred wasting Healing Potions instead of dying to a bunch of Hobgoblins.

Also edited the post, now all images are linked.

I see. My parties like to use fireballs, or even necklace of missiles charges (expensive, but saves a ton of time) against that group of hobgoblins.

• CrevsDaak likes this

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

Glad to see the links active, CrevsDaak!

It looks to me like you're using the GoG version of the game on a Mac. Is that correct?

If you figure out a way to take screenshots in full screen mode, let me know. I'd love to be able to do that.

Best,

A.

CrevsDaak

CrevsDaak
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Glad to see the links active, CrevsDaak!

It looks to me like you're using the GoG version of the game on a Mac. Is that correct?

If you figure out a way to take screenshots in full screen mode, let me know. I'd love to be able to do that.

Best,

A.

Yes, but I take them with the mouse (wasn't home when I first played so I didn't have it), since it's a logitech bluetooth and it's configuration gives you the option to make a specific button take a screenshot (if you're wondering why the mouse works, it's because, easily explained, it bypasses the emulator and saves a picture of the screen).

I see. My parties like to use fireballs, or even necklace of missiles charges (expensive, but saves a ton of time) against that group of hobgoblins.

Sadly I'm playing a Cleric so no Fireballs for me (anyway I prefer Skull Trap), besides that it takes away the charm and the satisfaction of slaying the Hobgoblins 'manually' or 'by hand (sword)' :D
  • Alesia_BH, corey_russell, ussnorway and 3 others like this

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

Yes, but I take them with the mouse (wasn't home when I first played so I didn't have it), since it's a logitech bluetooth and it's configuration gives you the option to make a specific button take a screenshot (if you're wondering why the mouse works, it's because, easily explained, it bypasses the emulator and saves a picture of the screen).

Interesting. Which model is it? I may buy one.

Best,

A.

CrevsDaak

CrevsDaak
  • Members
  • 17 posts
So, Hold proved itself to be the best level 2 Priest spell ever in BG1 yet again, and dangerous foes were easily taken out with Enrage.

First, we cleared the Cloudpeaks. Sari won a fight against a Gnoll who was demanding to be paid for letting us pass through the region. This gave us 900 XP! Caldo and Krumm were taken care of using a combination of Hold, an Oil of Speed, Enrage and the Battleguard's unique spiritual axe, through only Hold was really necessary (so yes, I wasted an Oil of Speed thinking they would be higher level).
Screenshot%204_zpsqqohghx2.png
We claimed our reward and continued looting the area. We visited the nearby area and committed a genocide using Hold basically that started with me running over Sendai while using hit and run tactics to kill Albert's "doggy" (I'm CN).

So, Sendai was killed, so were Zal, his friend, the two archers that accompanied Sendai, the assassin Neira and Tarnesh.
In all those battles I used Enrage (crucial against the spellcasters and the dart thrower since her had Darts of Stunning), and in some of them I also used the Battleguard's spiritual axe.

I also recruited Quayle so he could identify stuff for me. He did identify a bunch of Healing Potions and Antidotes for me, but we had to buy a Scroll of Identify for him to identify my Potion of Clarity and of Extra Healing (SCS introduces this one to BG1). I had like 3 enchanted armours (1 from Sendai, the other from the Dire Wolf's lair, the other from Krumm or Caldo), 1 ring that looked like a Ring of Protection +2 (but it wasn't. NEVER equip something if not identified when you use the Item Randomiser's "Randomise Cursed Item Appearance" component), a Star Sapphire (no joke, I was also very impressed, but it's the Randomiser's work), probably from Zal someone else, the Ring of Energy (looted from Nashkel) and a Ring of the Princess +1. In some moment I went to Taerom's, sold my splint mail and purchased a plate mail, which puts Sarieln at -1 AC.
  • ussnorway, Serg BlackStrider, Grimwald the Wise and 1 other like this

CrevsDaak

CrevsDaak
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Interesting. Which model is it? I may buy one.

Best,

A.

Logitech v470 bluetooth laser travel mouse. It's actually pretty good (someone gifted it to me and I had my doubts at the start), but it's not the most comfortable thing, it's a bit heavy and in my case too short for my hand (it's OK when I play BG, but I can't play Diablo 2 with it for example). The software assistant and such you can download is on their (logitech) website.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

The software assistant and such you can download is on their (logitech) website.

Logitech Control Center?

This one?

http://support.logit...-macintosh-os-x

Best,

A.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Crevsdaak said...

So, Hold proved itself to be the best level 2 Priest spell ever in BG1 yet again, and dangerous foes were easily taken out with Enrage.

Enrage is extremely powerful and useful for BG 1 characters, no doubt. However, as far as best 2nd level priest spell, I think silence gives it a good run for its money. In a Quad run not too long ago, my cleric used sanctuary to get in the back room of the 5th Floor of the Iron Throne HQ and fired a single silence at the 4 casters by Naaman - all 4 casters were silenced, thus it changed a tough fight to child's play. It also applies a -2 penalty and is an area effect to boot. Those 4 Thayvian Wizards? Piece of cake once they are silenced, etc.

• Blackraven and CrevsDaak like this

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts

Sadly I'm playing a Cleric so no Fireballs for me (anyway I prefer Skull Trap), besides that it takes away the charm and the satisfaction of slaying the Hobgoblins 'manually' or 'by hand (sword)' :D

Clerics can't kill by sword (Unless your game is very different to mine) and you can use necklace of missiles/oil of fiery burning/potion of explosions.

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts

I have run into a problem. After saving Maretha we went to visit the Cloakwood mines, only they didn't appear.

This is the first time that I have played with Jaheira in the party with this set-up.

Do I need to leave using a different exit point?

Or do I need to CLUA my way there?

(As you may gather, we defeated the bandits and the shadow druids).

It was quite straightforward.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

I don't know the answer Wise - you should probably make a new topic for this problem and just post a link to the topic in this thread. I did that for my Berserker/mage run and I got a pretty quick fix!

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

Clerics can't kill by sword (Unless your game is very different to mine)

Got Flame Blade?

And I think it was just a figure of speech.  :)

Crevs may be new here, but based on his posts at Beamdog, I'd say he has a good command of the options available to him.

Best,

A.

Btw. Thanks for the tip on the mouse, Crevs! I bought one and I'm oh-so-happy that I can play full screen again. Awesomely good!

• Blackraven likes this

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Got Flame Blade?

Crevs may be new here, but based on his posts at Beamdog, I'd say he has a good command of the options available to him.

Best,

A.

Btw. Thanks for the tip on the mouse, Crevs! I bought one and I'm oh-so-happy that I can play full screen again. Awesomely good!

Thanks for giving me a heads up on Crev's experience/background, Alesia! I'll just consider him/her a Zen Master of BG and stay mum (re: advice) on his runs then...glad you got a solution for your full screen problem too.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts
There's no need to stay mum. Crevs may appreciate the feedback. But there's also no need to coddle. I think he'll do well.

Best,

A.

CrevsDaak

CrevsDaak
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Logitech Control Center?

This one?

http://support.logit...-macintosh-os-x

Best,

A.

Yup, that one.

Enrage is extremely powerful and useful for BG 1 characters, no doubt. However, as far as best 2nd level priest spell, I think silence gives it a good run for its money. In a Quad run not too long ago, my cleric used sanctuary to get in the back room of the 5th Floor of the Iron Throne HQ and fired a single silence at the 4 casters by Naaman - all 4 casters were silenced, thus it changed a tough fight to child's play. It also applies a -2 penalty and is an area effect to boot. Those 4 Thayvian Wizards? Piece of cake once they are silenced, etc.[/size]

Yeah, Silence is awesome, but if you're not super careful and you're using it in the middle of a battle it's very likely (IDK about others but in my experience I always end up silencing my best spell caster) to silence your own party and such.

Clerics can't kill by sword (Unless your game is very different to mine) and you can use necklace of missiles/oil of fiery burning/potion of explosions.

Actually, in my game Clerics can use any type of weapon. I like to use Divine Remix's kits and get my deity's (I haven't done this in the run, but it's because I just wanted to go with Long Swords, my favourite weapon) weapon instead of just mace/flail/morning star/staff/sling. But yes, it also was a bit figuratively, since in a medieval themed cRPG swords are the generic/default weapon.

Got Flame Blade?

Best,

A.

Your welcome! Actually, I started using the mouse to play because of that. Before that I only used the trackpad (hell, I even play Diablo 2 with the trackpad) to play BG.

Thanks for giving me a heads up on Crev's experience/background, Alesia! I'll just consider him/her a Zen Master of BG and stay mum (re: advice) on his runs then...glad you got a solution for your full screen problem too.

I have no problem with advice. If you want to give any, it's welcome, and if you don't it's OK.
And thanks for considering me a BG Master :D that means to me (I've always considered you guys like THE masters of BG), and yeah, I think I have the game mastered a bit. At least vanilla. The thing is that I have lot of knowledge and such, but when you're playing you're like just even too dumb to pause the game (at least in my case).

There's no need to stay mum. Crevs may appreciate the feedback. But there's also no need to coddle. I think he'll do well.

Best,

A.

Thanks. In my head there's a little voice telling me "the next enemy you'll face will kill you, the next enemy you'll face will kill you" all the time when I'm playing no reload, but that's because I'm paranoid. Right now for example I know Sari needs a few more levels (I'll farm Ankhegs after the Mines I believe) since some enemies (mostly the NPC groups like the one in Mutamin's Garden or the on the in Wilderness Lake) will nail her down in seconds otherwise. Then I think most should go smoothly, and then in BG2 I'll pick up Jan, since there's been too long since I don't play with him and he's a M/T: what I need to complete my party.
  • Alesia_BH and Serg BlackStrider like this

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Best,

A.

Gotcha. I'll wait until I have some advanced knowledge to impart - like many players not realizing they don't need to be bullied by Aboleth yet you still get experience.

• Grimwald the Wise and CrevsDaak like this

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Millen the fighter/illusionist - Update 3

Traveling with: Ajantis, Shar-Teel, Branwen, Imoen, Garrick

The party got a litttle bit done today. We figured it was high time to solve the Nashkel Mine problem. Ajantis and Shar-Teel led the way, while the rest of the party ranged. Shar-Teel was pegged hard during this, many times in fact, despite -3 AC and also having a large shield +1. We have Ankheg Plate on order, but it hasn't arrived yet. While doing the mines, I ran into a game-breaking bug, but I'll describe that at the end. For Mulahey's cave, I had Shar-Teel and Ajantis stay by the entrance to deal with the minion spawns, while the rest of the party destroyed Mulahey - this worked great.

After selling at the carnival and reporting to the Nashkel Mayor our success, it was time to deal with Nimbul. It was a bit anti-climatic. Nimbul was hit with attacks and magic missiles from Garrick - Nimbul's morale broke first round, but he wasn't given a chance to run.

Then it was time to deal with Tranzig - direct attacks was enough to break his morale - he actually lasted a while, but the party's bodies penned him in, and he couldn't escape either. The protection ring was quite welcome upgrade for the party.

**************************************************************************************

Game Breaking Bug Encountered - Forced to Reload (or abandon the run)

***************************************************************************************

Today when I started my game, I tried to load BG 1, but got a error. Turns out, in vanilla BG 1, you get an error if a 2nd copy of BG 1 tries to run - I didn't realize that moment I had BG 1 minimized (just got home from work). I thought nothing of it, since the game I wanted was running. However, I soon discovered all was not well. So I defeated Mulahey, then go to the Carnival to sell. Problem? The entire area is dark (fog of war), even though I've been to the carnival many times. I've encountered this bug on a previous run long time ago, so I knew how serious this "fog of war" bug as I call it is - what happens, is after the initial BG 1 error, it apparently corrupts any on-going game. To verify it was the bug I remembered, I went to FAI and Nashkel - once again all fog of war except for the little area we arrived in. If it was simply fog of war, I could live with this bug - but it's far, far more serious - ALL AREAS GET RESET - that is, if were to play on, I would have to kill Neira, Tarnesh, and Karlat - again. I could go to to the gnoll fortress and get another gauntlets of dexterity, pick up another Ankheg Plate, etc. The game would be corrupted, and tainted - I would have to abandon the run like the last time this happened to me.

Fortunately I did NOT save this session - I reloaded from my save from yesterday (which was in the middle of Nashkel Mine), verified the "fog of war" bug wasn't present. A close call - if I had been foolish and overwrote my save, my run would be over.

• ussnorway, Grimwald the Wise, Blackraven and 1 other like this

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

Fortunately I did NOT save this session - I reloaded from my save from yesterday (which was in the middle of Nashkel Mine), verified the "fog of war" bug wasn't present. A close call - if I had been foolish and overwrote my save, my run would be over.

Nice to see some good save management - though presumably everyone is equally careful :whistle:.

• corey_russell likes this

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts

Got Flame Blade?

I was aware of that. It's my warped sense of humour. :D

By the way Crevs. Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to kill you!! :D

• Alesia_BH and CrevsDaak like this