Photo

Baldur's Gate 1 No-Reload Challenge

• Please log in to reply
16394 replies to this topic

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

@Borco - playing with the experience cap is not a requirement (though is pretty common) - you just need to inform us of this detail is all. But if the bugginess of your install is making your game unplayable, that for sure is understandable.

• Borco likes this

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

@Alesia - I noticed you used the spoiler tags - thanks for that! Now if I want to reply to someone, I can do so right away, rather than wait for the page to load first...

• Grond0 likes this

realmuzzy

realmuzzy
  • Members
  • 133 posts

Ok, so I'm finally able to comment on was has befallen Cimorene in her run for the Iron Throne. As I have already reported briefly in the Adventurer's Lounge, my current install, which had not been reviewed for a long time, went very wrong. Unfortunatelly, this elven sorceress was the one to remind me of the necessities of a clean re-install.

I've been experiencing various bugs and misbehaviour of the game environment (such as NPCs remaining neutral when they should have gone hostile or random disappearance thereof). Furthermore, only after reaching level 10 (whops!) I realized that somehow/somewhere, BG: ToSC XP cap has been waived. At that point, I decided to terminate the run for good.

It is indeed a shame as Cimorene has really been a fun lass to be around. After all, she is the only character I was able to get through the walls of Baldur's Gate in this challange thus far. However, she is still there, waiting for her level 1 comeback one day.

T.

Fun characters are worth resurrecting, gl!

realmuzzy

realmuzzy
  • Members
  • 133 posts

Aliira hasn't quite realized until now how much she hates mercenary companies.

The first one was interesting, she's come to view assassins as a test of her skill more than anything else. Thinking like that keeps her sane.

Spoiler

After being hidden by Sune she protects herself from charms to unleash her own. Three out of four women fall to the ground in despair effectively ending the encounter

Spoiler

The second group intercepts her barely a few days later

Spoiler

She retreats near the exit of the canyon ready to flee at any minute, emotions, and then enhances her natural beauty to enthrall those who resisted her assault.

Spoiler

She pits the unfortunate men against each other

Spoiler

And finishes them when they are emotionally exhausted.

Spoiler

By the time she gets to the mercenaries connected to the iron crisis she's had enough. At first she tries to infiltrate the camp incognito, but as she's running in circles slinging the Gnoll captain she decides that they can all go to hell and smites the lot of them. (*hitting the observers was toooootally intentional on my part*) She sometimes regrets losing her temper.

Spoiler

after much running and many fireballs a tactical retreat is made. She returns the next day, this time making an ally who cannot resist being drawn to her

Spoiler

After some more running only corpses are left

Spoiler

Next stop: Cloakwood mine.

• Serg BlackStrider and Blackraven like this

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

@Alesia - I noticed you used the spoiler tags - thanks for that! Now if I want to reply to someone, I can do so right away, rather than wait for the page to load first...

Understood.

I use spoiler tags sometimes. On other occasions, I use reduced quality jpegs: 50K-70k .

The only recent exception was Adelina's portrait photo, which was reposted directly from the web.

On my computer, the reduced quality jpegs (50k-70k) load quickly enough that the use of Spoiler tags doesn't make an appreciable difference. In contrast, PNGs (which are typically ten times larger than the jpegs I post) do create load time issues.

Of course, bandwidth constraints can differ from reader to reader. If the small jpegs are still problematic for some, then I can make more consistent use of Spoiler tags.

Best,

A. 

Btw. As a reader, my preference is to see posts with small file size Jpegs.    

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,558 posts

Hail to Adele! Love her theme song - that's *my* kind of music! Safe travels to her!

And keep focus, realmuzzy! Nice progress so far!

• Alesia_BH likes this

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

@Borco. Sorry to hear about your install issues. I hope you'll get everything squared.

Best,

A.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Understood.

I use spoiler tags sometimes. On other occasions, I use reduced quality jpegs: 50K-70k .

The only recent exception was Adelina's portrait photo, which was reposted directly from the web.

On my computer, the reduced quality jpegs (50k-70k) load quickly enough that the use of Spoiler tags doesn't make an appreciable difference. In contrast, PNGs (which are typically ten times larger than the jpegs I post) do create load time issues.

Of course, bandwidth constraints can differ from reader to reader. If the small jpegs are still problematic for some, then I can make more consistent use of Spoiler tags.

Best,

A. 

Btw. As a reader, my preference is to see posts with small file size Jpegs.    

Just to be clear, always in this area, do what you want. If you want to post a photo album, then go ahead. I was just mentioining that what you did helped. I have 30 MB bandwidth at home, but if everyone posts photo albums it can take a bit, even on that. At work 3 MB, so mass of pictures effect on load times certainly more notice-able then.

Borco

Borco
  • Members
  • 100 posts

@Borco - playing with the experience cap is not a requirement (though is pretty common) - you just need to inform us of this detail is all. But if the bugginess of your install is making your game unplayable, that for sure is understandable.

I've always found the caps reasonable and I like to keep them in place. It would not be acceptable for me to go on with it. 

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

I have 30 MB bandwidth at home, but if everyone posts photo albums it can take a bit, even on that. At work 3 MB, so mass of pictures effect on load times certainly more notice-able then.

Given the file sizes I'm using, 10 pictures is about 400K-600K. Even with a 3Mbps connection (which corresponds to ~375K per sec) the difference between Spoiler tags and the files I'm using should be negligible.

I agree that PNGs (or even large JPEGs) can be problematic. I don't use PNGs or large JPEGs and would discourage others from doing so.

Best,

A.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Alesia: If someone uses spoilers, PNGs are not a problem in that context. Large screens are also not a problem if users use spoiler tags.

Also remember Internet speeds are measured by megaBITs, not megaBYTEs (hold-over from modem days). Thus 3 megabit speed is actually 3,000,000 divided by 8 = 375,000 bytes per second, or 375,000 divided by 1024 bytes = 366K per second. So if 9 other posters posted as much as you, then that load time for 3mbps is more than10 seconds for that page.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

Also remember Internet speeds are measured by megaBITs, not megaBYTEs

I'm aware. Note the quote from my earlier post.

Even with a 3Mbps connection (which correspond to ~375K per sec)

Alesia: If someone uses spoilers, PNGs are not a problem in that context. Large screens are also not a problem if users use spoiler tags.

Not really, since you still have to download the content if you want to see the picture.

Sensibly sized Jpegs should be used in either case.

Best,

A.

PS: I don't see a reason to use PNGs or excessively large JPEGs in any case.

As for the Spoiler tags, they have their merits but also their disadvantages. They can decrease page load times, but with properly size JPEGs, only marginally so. The disadvantage of Spoiler tags is that the reader who wishes to see all the images has to click each tag and then individually load each picture, which takes more time than loading a page of right sized JPEGs would. As a reader, I prefer the embedded right sized JPEGs approach.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

Btw. If we wish to continue this, we should do so in the Lounge.

Best,

A.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

Adele, Half-Elven Fighter/Druid: Bandit Camp to the Cloakwood Mines

Screen%20Shot%202015-08-25%20at%209.04.2

The Bandit Camp through Cloakwood Mines section of BG1 is one of the best segments of the Trilogy -especially with SCS installed. David did an outstanding job with both the Bandit Camp and the Davaeorn fight. The tragedy is that we, as no reloaders, don't always get to fully appreciate that content. Intelligent scripting increases risk, and risk is a no reloader's enemy. And so we tend to apply overwhelming force at the Bandit Camp and use questionable tactics against Davaeorn. With Adele, I took a step toward rebalancing my approach to both encounters. I'm pleased that I did.

Bandit Camp

Adele entered the tent invisible, buffed with Protection from Fire (green scroll), Potion of Fire Resistance, Potion of Hill Giant Strength, Shield, Greenstone, and Spirit Armor. What I usually do here is run around dropping bombs (Potions of Explosions). The encounter ends quickly, and I alway have enough bombs left over for Davaeorn, due to the Necklace of Missles. In this run, I decided to refrain from using the Necklace of Missiles. That led me to be more conservative with bombs at the Bandit Camp. I found that helpful. I had more fun here than I usually do.

Venkt fell first, as always.

Spoiler

Adele then used a single Potion of Explosions to weaken the fodder before finishing the remaining bandits in melee. Adele took some damage here, but it was a fun fight.

Spoiler

Mulahey's Boots of Grounding and a Potion of Insulation foiled the lightning trap. The outside bandits were evaded, and Adele moved on to the Cloakwood.

The Cloakwood

After recovering the Cloak of Non-Detection, Adele assisted Tiber and cleansed Centeol's nest. The buffs for this area were Protection from Poison (green scroll), Potion of Freedom, Potion of Hill Giant Strength.

The SCS v30 spiders are pushovers compared to the SCS v15 ones. I could lament the loss of difficulty in my v30 install but, I think I prefer to v30 Cloakwood area 2, in the end: it strikes a decent balance between difficulty and playability. The v15 spiders were arguably over the top.

Spoiler

The Enhanced Edition adds a second Rashad's Talon to Cloakwood Area 2. Adele was infinitely pleased to pick it up. She had broken every single unenchanted scimitar south of Baldur's Gate.

Having assisted Tiber, Adele's plan was to proceed straight to the Mines. Assassins stood in her way.

(I really like the v30 handling of assassin deployment. These ambushes are fun)

Drakar's team was first. Adele used the last Greenstone Amulet charge and then summoned a nymph. The nymph then provided disabler support while Adele diced through her opposition. This was a fun fight. In fact, I wish I had fought more battles like this. Druids often hang back and cast while their summons do the work. With Adele, my intention had been to do the opposite: I wanted dual-wielding Adele to lead the way while her nymphs hang back and cast. I hoped to fight more battles like this in BG2, but I'm beginning to suspect that the ATweaks adjustments to Call Woodland Being may spoil the fun.

Spoiler

Adele even got to work Call Lightning into this fight, thanks to a Hold Person from the Nymph.

Spoiler

Since the Greenstone Amulet had been consumed by now, Adele opened the Amazonian ambush with a Potion of Magic Blocking.

Spoiler

Once again, Adele's nymphs and scimitars won the day.

Spoiler

Davaeorn

After stealthing pass Drasus...

Spoiler

Adele confronted Davaeorn.

This was great- really great. I love the SCS v30 version of this fight. Between Davaeorn, the battle horrors, and wave after wave of armed guards there's a lot to overcome. You can breeze through it by waiting for the guards to pile up and then blasting away with the Necklace of Missiles form outside line of sight, but it's a lot more fun to get in the middle of the action and take on all comers. Since restricting the use of AoE damage spells enhanced the Bandit Camp fight, I decided to do the same against Davaeorn, except I took it one step further: no AoE damage spells were used at all here. Further, no invisibility charges were used and Adele made no efforts to juke either the battle horrors or Davaeorns guards. All she did was fight. That was fun.

The opening guard was immobilized with a Dart of Stunning and then diced with scimitars.

Spoiler

The buffs in the early stage of this encounter were Protection from Magic (green scroll), Protection from Fire (green scroll), Potion of Fire Resistance, Potion of Frost Giant Strength. The battle horror fell quickly- quicker than expected. Most of the damage was done with Talons, though the Wand of the Heavens helped.

Spoiler

Time for the guards. 

Adele took down the entirety of Davaeorn's army with her scimitars. Ranged fighters were preferred targets: the +4s helped.

Spoiler

Adele chose not to use fireballs here, but she wasn't exactly disappointed when Davaeorn used one for her. You could call this bad scripting, but it seems in character for Davaeorn: he's exactly the type to fry his allies.

Spoiler

Healing before the next wave.

(Daveaorn dispelled our buffs shortly after this shot.)

Spoiler

Bring it on, Iron Throne!

Spoiler

We're nearing the end now.

Spoiler

Finally, Davaeorn.

Spoiler

Great fight- definitely the highlight of the run.

Onto Baldur's Gate.

Best,

A.

• Serg BlackStrider, Grond0 and realmuzzy like this

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Phantasmic 6 {11} - monks party (update 5)

In the first Cloakwood area Seniyad was stunned.
Spoiler

In the second area Spook went round the area triggering all the traps.  While she was doing that a phase spider teleported to the other monks unexpectedly and poisoned Chimera.  If it had been one of the others I would probably have let them die, but Chimera resorted to taking an antidote when down to 2 HPs.  
Spoiler
After cleaning out all the spiders in the outside area they stealthed into Centeol's nest and took a potshot before running out and away in order to spread out the pursuit.  That worked well and the nest was cleared with no further problems.

In the third area Takiyah was well and truly stunned.
Spoiler
Izefia shrugged off the initial attacks, but could only choke out a few words before grinding to a halt.  
Spoiler
Amarande has been a real problem for past monk parties so this time they tempted him downstairs on his own and then used missile weapons on him.  He made the mistake of trying to cast spells rather than get into close quarters.  Several spells failed and the one successful chaos was dodged when the monks nipped out of the door before coming back in immediately to finish him off.
Spoiler

In the fourth area the hamadryad managed to charm one of the monks and hold another couple, but that was no more than a nuisance.  There was a dangerous moment though when I didn't notice that Chimera (whose icon was behind a tree) had been webbed by a giant spider.  As a result he was left alone to be poisoned by a phase spider and the party had to quickly kill it and try to rest.  
Spoiler
They were interrupted, but the act of trying to rest meant the other monks auto-cast lay on hands on Chimera (although the monks are not able to target others with lay on hands directly, they can do through the auto-cast) - giving him the time to get out of the web and cast slow poison on himself.  
Spoiler
Shortly afterwards the monks were engaging some baby wyverns when another group of enemies nearby decided to join in.  I was keeping an eye on those and didn't notice that Phantom had already been injured - with the result that a big critical proved fatal.
Spoiler

Back again, sort of safely (Phantom went down to 1 HP after being poisoned twice in an ettercap ambush) they quickly cleared the remainder of the fourth area.  At the mine they cleared the exterior map first before a couple of fireballs and a wand blast killed Rezdan, though Kysus though went invisible.  Drasus chased 4 of the monks.  I hoped that Spectre could tank him with a potion of absorption and the appropriate girdle, but he was still hit too easily and the monks ended up finishing him off with missile weapons.
Spoiler
Spectre then showed himself to tempt Kysus to take action, but got back into the shadows before a spell was cast.  That allowed a stealth attack on Kysus.  
Spoiler
Genthore took a last minute potion of freedom to prevent himself being stunned, but the concentration of blows took him down in seconds anyway.
Spoiler

Inside the mine Hareishan's guards were pulled back to the exit, but that backfired when some archers sneaked in at their back and dispatched poor old Phantom yet again with another critical.  
Spoiler
There was still a tough fight to finish off the rest of them, but that was done eventually before another trip to the temple.  Back at the mine Hareishan found life without guards too tough to bear ...
Spoiler

Chimera - L7, 51 HPs, 254 kills
Spectre - L7, 40 HPs, 449 kills, 1 death
Phantom - L7, 41 HPs, 210 kills, 4 deaths
Wraith - L7, 52 HPs, 256 kills, 0 deaths
Spook - L7, 58 HPs, 259 kills, 4 deaths
Spirit - L7, 51 HPs, 237 kills, 0 deaths

• Serg BlackStrider and realmuzzy like this

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

Great fight- definitely the highlight of the run.

Nice to see you getting into a bit of mindless cerebral violence Alesia :P.

• Alesia_BH likes this

realmuzzy

realmuzzy
  • Members
  • 133 posts

Like Adele, Aliira also reached the Cloakwood mine. Her first real obstacle is the group of adventurers guarding the entrance. She surprises them with a silence

Spoiler

And dooms them in the name of Sune (*I wanted a fairer fight than with my last char, so I'm giving them a chance to defend themselves*)

Spoiler

The wizards immediately vocalize and so Aliira retreats out of sight. Drasus can't handle the onslaught of the undead and despite the help of his party falls quickly

Spoiler

The skeletons can't last forever and Genthore and a phase spider start charging at Aliira. They reconsider, finally having full view of her immense beauty

Spoiler

and instead turn on the wizard Kysus who confidently teleported in. His spider becomes his undoing

Spoiler

Rezdan wants his guy Genthore back

Spoiler

But what he doesn't know is that his weapon is broken and that he's just flailing with his arms at this point. Rezdan tries to chase down Aliira, but his dangerous spells are already gone

Spoiler

and poor, confused, weaponless Genthore dies last.

Aliira zips through the mine sanctuaried, focused on finding the one in charge. She only breaks invisibility to talk to the slaves who could organize an escape. She finds the villain's inner sanctum and prepares heavily for battle, protecting against every type of spell and element, quickly dispatching his only bodyguard.

Spoiler

Then disaster strikes. She carelessly allows the mage to dispel her, caught between actions like a cleric still in school. She immediately runs, sanctuaries

Spoiler

and uses a scroll of protection from magic. She didn't want to do that, she doesn't have enough damage without her clerical buffs to deal with all the guards streaming into the room.

She throws her last grenades but Daveorn invises, heals and refuses to show himself. In a last ditch effort Aliira starts talking to the guards. She is just a girl standing in front of two dozen boys, wanting them to lover her.

Spoiler

and it works!

Spoiler

Daveorn shows himself (*presumably because his script is break invisibility next to enemy and sunfire*) blasts the guards for their betrayal, but it's not enough. They mob him, he tries to run, but he's chased down and killed.

Spoiler

The guards lose their interest in both Aliira and the fight and flee. So does she, does her life always have to be like this?

• Alesia_BH and Serg BlackStrider like this

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Nice post Realmuzzy - what is Voice of Djalice? I never heard of it.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

Adele, Half-Elven Fighter/Druid: Assorted Minor Encounters 

Screen%20Shot%202015-08-25%20at%2010.32.

There are some great fights in between Davaeorn and the BG1 endgame. Sadly, they all have one thing in common: I avoid them. I evade the fight with Sarevok's Acolytes at the Iron Throne. I bypass Pratt. I fight Drasus, usually, but sometimes its less a battle and more a perfunctory exchange: potions for boots.

In retrospect, I wish I had let Adele complete the three major party battles of the late mid-game. But truthfully, my mind was on Amn, not the Sword Coast.

Using leftover buffs from the Davaeorn encounter and a Potion of Absorption, Adele relieved Drasus of his footwear.

Spoiler

The Ogre Magi ambush never fails to unnerve me. Adele quaffed a Potion of Magic Blocking and then immediately ran for the gate. This is a very nearly fool proof plan.

Spoiler

In the catacombs, Adele used the Shield Amulet, a Potion of Freedom, 100% fire resistance and 100% lightning resistance to protect herself from traps. A Protection from Poison scroll mitigated risk from the phase spiders. A Potion of Cloud Giant strength granted access to the tomes. The Sandthief Ring and two Potions of Mirror Eyes took care of the rest.

Just one more task before the end game: relieving Kirian of her belt. Talons and nymphs: Adele's preferred way of fighting.

Spoiler

Slythe and the Duchal Palace are next.

Best,

A.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

I forgot to mention something that happened to Corthief VI. When he fought the phase spiders that guard the Strength Tome, he nearly died. Even with potion buffs, and poison immunity (scroll), he was getting hit hard and fast. He only got past them with fireballs from the shadows trick. He is my first solo character who had a problem with those spiders, even when buffed.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

I forgot to mention something that happened to Corthief VI. When he fought the phase spiders that guard the Strength Tome, he nearly died. Even with potion buffs, and poison immunity (scroll), he was getting hit hard and fast. He only got past them with fireballs from the shadows trick. He is my first solo character who had a problem with those spiders, even when buffed.

What was the issue: an unfortunate string of criticals or inadequate piercing AC?

Best,

A.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

What was the issue: an unfortunate string of criticals or inadequate piercing AC?

Best,

A.

Hmm, let's see I distinctly remember seeing -2 AC, so that would be I think AC 4 shield amulet, +4 (or 5 not sure, he had 20 DEX) for DEX bonus, so that would be AC 0, (or AC-1), then another -1 for the Claw. He always wore the piercing belt, so that would be -5 AC to piercing. it's possible they got a lot of criticals, I'm not sure, but I don't recall criticals, just a lot of quick hits by the spiders. I nearly got boxed in by the 4 of them.

EDIT: is -5 sufficient? Don't know the phase spider's Thac0.

EDIT2: Corthief VI was wearing studded leather, non-magical.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

Adele, Half-Elven Fighter/Druid: The Dukes

Adele's rescue of the Dukes wasn't as elegant as Adelina's. Adelina's performance flawless. Adele's was flawed, but effective. Both characters were fun to run through the endgame, although I found Adelina's battles more enjoyable. This is no fault of Adele's, mind you. The swords don't rule the Sword Coast: bows do. Any character who can't wield a bow is at a disadvantage- especially in the endgame.

The rescue of Duke Eltan went smoothly: a Potion of Hill Giant strength and a Potion of Clarity sufficed. The Golden Girdle and the Cloak of Protection +2 complemented Adele's Anhkeg Plate nicely (NW: Anhkeg Plate is non-magical in EE). 

Spoiler

Slythe and Krystin would not go so quietly. More precisely, Krystin wouldn't go so quietly. 

Slythe fell in one round. And it's not hard to understand why.

Spoiler

The buffs here were Protection from Magic, Potion of Mind Focusing, Potion of Defense, Oil of Speed, Potion of Heroism, Violet Potion, Potion of Agility, Potion of Fortitude. Wearing Ankheg Plate and the Girdle of Piercing, Slythe faced an effective AC of -12. Adele's THAC0 was negative she did mid twenties damage on each hit. Those are ToB numbers, not late BG1 numbers. That's what potions do. Buff right, no reloaders.

But be forewarned: Remove Magic happens- a it did to Adele here. It hurst to see thousands of gold worth of potions whisked away, but by that moment the potions had already done their job. Slythe was effectively defeated. He only needed a nudge.

Spoiler

Adele had planned to let Krystin live, but potion dispellers have to pay: those are the rule of the game. Adele's dual Talons sufficed here. A bow would have been better.

Spoiler

On to the Palace. But first: a quick stop at Sorcerers Sundries. 

Protection from Magic (leftover), Potion of Mind Focusing, Potion of Defense, Oil of Speed, Potion of Heroism, and Potion of Storm Giant Strength. It would have to do.

Spoiler

And it did do. The conventional wisdom in this fight seems to be to kill the mage first, in order to prevent Belt from becoming Confused. Adelina and Adele both took the opposite approach: they reasoned that even a Confused Belt would be safe enough, so long as all the other dopes were dead. Adelina and Adele stayed near Belt and simply killed whichever Dope was closest. That worked. The Doppelgänger Mage got his confusion off, but by the time he did the fight was already over. 

Spoiler

In Adelina's run, Belt and Liia both survived with minimal injuries. In Adele's run, Liia fell, but Belt never got below barely injured. Adele did have to euthanized a flaming fist enforcer, however, and she did take some damage from Sarevok. Adelina, in contrast, emerged virtually unscathed.

Spoiler

Only Sarevok remains.

Best,

A.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

Hmm, let's see I distinctly remember seeing -2 AC, so that would be I think AC 4 shield amulet, +4 (or 5 not sure, he had 20 DEX) for DEX bonus, so that would be AC 0, (or AC-1), then another -1 for the Claw. He always wore the piercing belt, so that would be -5 AC to piercing.

Were you wearing a protection item? Perhaps it was Shield Amulet + RoP + Claw + Dex Bonus (4)?

Studded leather grants an additional piercing adjustment of 1, so a listed AC of -2 would mean -6 effective.

EDIT: is -5 sufficient? Don't know the phase spider's Thac0.

I'm not sure what the THAC0 of phase spiders is in your install. In mine it appears to be 12. They have base APRs of two. Further AC reduction would have been helpful

Against a group of phase spiders, running Shield, and with the Girdle of Piercing, I'd expect to take damage. I could definitely image a single class thief running into difficulty there.

I'm glad Corthief made it!

Best,

A.

• corey_russell likes this

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Were you wearing a protection item? Perhaps it was Shield Amulet + RoP + Claw + Dex Bonus (4)?

Studded leather grants an additional piercing adjustment of 1, so a listed AC of -2 would mean -6 effective.

I'm not sure what the THAC0 of phase spiders is in your install. In mine it appears to be 12. They have base APRs of two. Further AC reduction would have been helpful

Against a group of phase spiders, running Shield, and with the Girdle of Piercing, I'd expect to take damage. I could definitely image a single class thief running into difficulty there.

I'm glad Corthief made it!

Best,

A.

Doh! You are correct, I did have RoP +2. So should be shield amulet AC 4, RoP +2, AC 2, DEX bonus +4, AC -2, Claw +1, AC-3, Studded leather, +1, AC-4, and finally piercing belt +3, AC-7.

While Corthief VI did make it, he died in Duchal Palace. Corthief VII is still in the early stages.