Photo

Baldur's Gate 1 No-Reload Challenge

• Please log in to reply
16394 replies to this topic

biowherewolf

biowherewolf
  • Members
  • 162 posts

@realmuzzy: I love the cleric/thief combo, but I can never make it work for no-reload. I'm not sure why... player ineptitude, I expect. It seems like it should be the perfect combo, but I always run into something surprising. It looks like you're off to a great start. Good luck

--BW

• Grimwald the Wise, realmuzzy and Borco like this

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts

@ biowherewolf

The problem with the cleric/thief combo is that you can't use your thief abilities when wearing heavy armour.

This is why mage/thief combos are popular. They both restrict armour but then the mage can compensate due to the ability to cast armour spells.

End of run for Saphire. :(

I thought that I knew where all the basilisks were located. Clearly I didn't. Saphire died. :(

Next run:

Hereward the Hammer, A Tiefling Cleric/Ranger

Str 18/74, Dex 19, Con18, Int 19, Wis 18, Cha 2.

25 resistance to electricity, fire and cold.

10% penalty to experience.

Hammers ** Two weapon style ** Two weapon style **.

I had to go into Shadowkeeper to reduce the Charisma by 1 as per the mod description as it stayed at the roll of 3 that I started with.

• ussnorway and Serg BlackStrider like this

realmuzzy

realmuzzy
  • Members
  • 133 posts

@Grimwald Condolences. Good luck with the cleric/ranger! I can never bring myself to play this particular multiclass because a ranger that can't dual wield pointy weapons or wield a bow is too strange for me.

• biowherewolf, Serg BlackStrider, Grimwald the Wise and 1 other like this

realmuzzy

realmuzzy
  • Members
  • 133 posts

Iolo did a lot of wandering up and down the coast, as gnomes are wont to do. When he saw sirines he silenced them out of the bushes and tricked them into following over his traps.

Spoiler

Basilisks were defeated with the help of a jolly ghoul, their "leader" ambushed

Spoiler

Once he had a bit of experience under his belt, Iolo went for Mulahey. He prepared quite a bit, silencing the cleric who was not paying enough attention. None of it mattered in the end because a staff in the kidneys ended Mulahey's life instantly.

Spoiler

Nimble the assassin was killed by the guards and Tranzig by the army of undead directed from sanctuary by Iolo. He then infiltrated the bandit camp and attacked the leaders. The initial attack sadly didn't finish the mage but the following fireball did

Spoiler

A series of smites and some melee finished the rest of the bandits. Outside, with the potion of absorption running, he comfortably meleed Taugosz finishing him with a flame strike before his support could even assemble

Spoiler

Iolo then zoomed though Cloakwood to reach the hidden mine, only stopping to help the druids. He engaged the mine guarding party with a silence and skeletons. Kysus was the only one to recognize something was wrong, and vocalized. Iolo used his roguish-gnomish mastery of illusions to deprive Kysus of his mirror images so the mage took heavy damage. In danger of dying, Kysus invised and tried to run away and heal but was stopped in his tracks by traps waiting by the stables.

Spoiler

Iolo retreated, rested and welcomed dimension dooring Rezdan with the same treatment of skeletons and detect illusions from sanctuary.

Spoiler

Finally the fighters were taken care of the next day with skeletons taking the heat, while Iolo was continually backstabbing.

Spoiler

This opened the way to Daveorn. Iolo meleed his bodyguard and activated the traps protected and invisible, while his skeletons were waiting behind

Spoiler

He backstabbed the horrors down before Daveorn could even notice him but then the mage activated his sequencer. Iolo decided to wait it out while the skellies were valiantly taking the fight.

Spoiler

Once the stinking cloud was down, Iolo buffed some more and came to dispel mirror images and throw some fireballs. Mirror images were reapplied, then dispelled again, and some more fireballs were thrown.

Spoiler

Once the number of guards was manageable, and Daveorn was out of mirror images, Iolo activated his short duration fighting magics and killed Daveorn.

Spoiler

• ussnorway, Serg BlackStrider, Grimwald the Wise and 2 others like this

biowherewolf

biowherewolf
  • Members
  • 162 posts

@biowherewolf: It is because of a mod that I have Cha 1 in BG1. You can easily get it in BG2. My mod gives one of the assassins a BG2 staff which is +2, panics opponents, but has a chance of reducing charisma available in the Gate District of BG2 (Possession of a lich!). There is the potential of it killing you as Cha=0 equals death.

And so long as you don't have ToBex installed, it is possible to get a charisma of 25. :) With TobEx installed, instead of Cha = 25, you get Cha(racter) = dead. :D

Azure eventually got a charisma of 25, but it took some time.

She first headed north towards the FAI. On the way she picked up a ring of protection +1 and fled from 2 dire wolves.

At the FAI she found a ring of wizardly and used it to defeat Tarnesh. The crucial spell was blindness. After that she kept her distance casting magic missile to start with. One FAI guard gave some help. However it was her composite long bow that killed him, despite lack of proficiency.

Hobgoblins were then killed before heading northwards where a widow was helped against her undead husband. A girl priestess was then helped against some evil fishermen, (or so she said).

She then headed for Nashkel, got some healing ability and some defensive equipment. Lord Foreshadow then gave her a ring which subsequently was used to get her charisma to 25.

She also used it to get Karlat to kill Algernon. She then used the cloak to encourage her enemies to fight charmed people rather than her. In the process she equipped herself quite well. :)

The Lord Foreshadow ring is a mod, right? Isn't that just a charisma of 18?

I ask because I have a problem. Duno is a Shadowdancer. And in the fine print of the kit. at the bottom -- I didn't notice it before I actually started playing the character -- there is this small note that to dual class a Shadowdancer, you need high strength, dex and charisma. I really don't know how they came up with that. Why would I need a high strength to dual from thief to mage? .. .but I digress. 

Anyway, Duno has a natural 18 dex, 17 strength and 12 charisma. With  the Tomes, he would be 19,18, 13. To dual, it looks like he needs to be 15+, 15+, 15+. 

I want to dual him to mage. But ... what can I do to get his charisma up another 2 points? 

Any thoughts?

--BW

Matuse73

Matuse73
  • Members
  • 42 posts

Aside from flat out cheating, the only way to get those Cha points is in BG2. You get +1 Cha for going the "Good" route with Sarevok in the hell trials, and you can get +1 more Cha from the Machine Of Lum The Mad.

But that's a long journey from now.

Borco

Borco
  • Members
  • 100 posts

@Borco : congrats on getting Narva to an impressive level. But you don't exactly make me want to drop everything to run Druids. It seems like a really rough class.

That might be true for vanilla druid on early levels, but Totemic Druid and Avenger kits are doing just fine, the only notable drawback being the inability to use shields (other than bucklers) and somewhat limited lvl 1 and lvl 2 spells when compared to clerics.

@bioww Thanks! Also totemic druids are really fun, you have your little army that scales in a balanced and enjoyable way and is well supported by your druid spells like bless, strength of one and roots (they are immune to roots). Plus, having them on the front line opens you up to cast charms, dooms and so on. People underestimate how fun and useful low level druid spells can be in bg1.

I totally agree here, although, personally, I found Doom rather difficult to utilize in this BG:EE run due to its casting time of 9 (this has not been the case with BGT IIRC).

@borco Great progress for Narva! Is there anything you want from Durlag, or are you just doing it for fun? My non-trap finding chars never go there because I don't know which trap does what by heart so it just ends up being stressful and taking up a lot of resources. Once I have shield of archons, death ward, cc, ironskins, I'm more comfortable with traps :)

It's kind of both. At first, I was led by the prospect of obtaining Kiel's buckler and the +3 sling, which would notably influcene Narva's range capabilities. However, I have not cleared the tower in a very long time and got insterested in the idea of making this run a thorough one, with all the side-quests and stuff. I might, after all, leave this feat for some theif that would be more comfortable in such environment :).

B.
  • realmuzzy likes this

Epsil0

Epsil0
  • Members
  • 208 posts

Alright, time to get back in the saddle, I think! I've been wanting to do another run based off an idea, so this idea is going to be randomness.

Fortuna_zpsqbb3bh5y.jpg

Meet Fortuna, our lucky or unlucky test subject, depending on how this goes. The spell picks will be done by RNG; I'm using one I found at mathgoodies.com. Pseudo-random should be good enough for what I'm doing. Every level I gain a spell, I will roll to determine what spell it is, starting at one in the top left, and increasing prioritizing horizontal over vertical. I'll be posting the rolls as well, so...

Level1SpellsRandom_zpsz7kkh8hl.jpg

Level 1 spells: I'm allowing myself to ignore random numbers that give me a completely useless spell, so... pretty much Detect Evil and Detect Alignment and Infravision. I'll see if there are any other useless spells as I come across them. I had pretty decent luck on my first two spell selections.

FFRandom_zpsebszk96t.jpg 8: by the diagram, Find Familiar.

ShieldRandom_zpslkxmod7b.jpg 19: Shield.

I'm not going to swear that this is going to be a solo run through all three, but if I have others join, Fortuna will remain the only arcane caster.

• BBMorti, biowherewolf, ussnorway and 4 others like this

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts

The Lord Foreshadow ring is a mod, right? Isn't that just a charisma of 18?

I ask because I have a problem. Duno is a Shadowdancer. And in the fine print of the kit. at the bottom -- I didn't notice it before I actually started playing the character -- there is this small note that to dual class a Shadowdancer, you need high strength, dex and charisma. I really don't know how they came up with that. Why would I need a high strength to dual from thief to mage? .. .but I digress. 

Anyway, Duno has a natural 18 dex, 17 strength and 12 charisma. With  the Tomes, he would be 19,18, 13. To dual, it looks like he needs to be 15+, 15+, 15+. 

I want to dual him to mage. But ... what can I do to get his charisma up another 2 points? 

Any thoughts?

--BW

In BG2, if you get the rod of terror from the gate district and the ring of influence from the circus, so long as you don't have ToBex installed, when your charisma drops below 0 by using the staff, it bounces to 25. This obviously needs careful planning as it will kill you if you take off the ring at Cha = 0. Similarly, if you use the staff too much before removing the ring, you could end up with a charisma even lower than the one that you now have.

(You don't have to use the ring, it is much more easily achieved using the Nymph's Cloak that you get from the Nymph in Ragefast's clutches)

In BG1 Lord Foreshadow's ring doesn't actually change your base charisma in the way that the rod does. So even with the mod that gives it, (BG1 NPC Project) you will not be able to dual as you wish . My installation also has another mod that gives an assassin at Candlekeep the rod of terror. This would allow raising the charisma.

The reason why ToBex changed things was that the writers of ToBex thought using this tactic was cheating. However ToBex is also a mod.

In the vanilla game this tactic can be used, though things could be different in EE. I don't have it so don't know.

It looks to me that for this game you won't be able to dual for even if you installed mods they would not become effective until your next game.

CrevsDaak

CrevsDaak
  • Members
  • 17 posts
First, sorry for not posting for more than a whole month =P (my last post was in august :o)
A bunch of friends got me into League of Legends again, so I didn't play much BG for a long time, besides I was too busy with school... Anyway.

Sooo, after being ambushed TWICE, and having killed all the enemies, I decided to take Brage to Nashkel.
Screen%20capture%202_zpsa6hc6q4z.png
Screen%20capture%203_zpsh6sc5mi3.png
Screen%20capture%204_zpsd7znl1kw.png
Since SCS causes enemies to come to you when you attack another enemy out of their sight, Brage came to talk to me while I was fighting Laryssa, and since I didn't want to kill him I had to miss killing Laryssa and looting her Small Shield+1 (or whatever else the Randomiser gave her).
Screen%20capture%205_zpsg6j14eao.png
I don't know what I did with Brage's sword since what I'm telling here is what I've played on August's 17th (so sayeth the wise screenshot's file birthtime).
Screen%20capture%206_zpsm7qxepuq.png
Then, I decided to go clear off the Freaking Nashkel Mines. Well, I got swarmed on level 3, but the Kobolds (aka Dog-headed Demon-lords) only took like 40% of her HP before she managed to kill them all. We tried to sleep, but that did nothing but to trigger a Kobold Wave™ which we slaughtered with ease.
Screen%20capture%207_zpsogmqi5r6.png
I'm off to play some more and clean the rest of the Mines.
  • ussnorway, Serg BlackStrider, Grimwald the Wise and 1 other like this

biowherewolf

biowherewolf
  • Members
  • 162 posts

It looks to me that for this game you won't be able to dual for even if you installed mods they would not become effective until your next game.

@Matuse & Grimwald: That's what I was thinking. I may shelve the character for a while until I figure out what I want to do. The thief class and kits are all great, but I am more interested in magic users in the long run. 

Thanks

--BW

• Grimwald the Wise likes this

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts

Sorry to disappoint you biowherewolf. :(

The roll that you got at the beginning of your last game would have been good enough to do what you wanted, though possibly the attributes would not be where you wanted them.

Bladesinger or fighter/mage multi perhaps. Berserker or thief dualling to mage at level 3 might give you what you want.

With a gnome, the fighter/illusionist is a good combination. Illusionists are very strong in BG1 and are OK in BG2.

I have just rolled up an excellent Fighter/illusionist/thief who could well be my next character, Your set-up may not allow it though as it is clearly not the same as mine.

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts

Hereward went to get Lord Foreshadow's ring. He got badly injured in some ambushes and had to come to terms with the fact that he is NOT a fighter.

Upon his return to Beregost his actions resulted in carnage. This gave him Armour of Lathander, a hammer +2, and a sling +3.

He was not the one doing the killing, though he did kill the spiders with the rod of terror which resulted in the sort of charisma boost that biowherewolf wants.

Algernon's cloak will now stay in the bag of holding.

He has helped the priestess against the fishermen and as a result, levels have gone up.

Buffs then enabled the slaying of Nester's killer. Now he IS a fighter perhaps.

Chant, DUHM, Barkskin and two command spells were sufficient. The Barkskin proved to be unnecessary as the ankheg never had a chance to land a blow.

Killing the caravan guards at the FAI has given him good armour in which he can use stealth. :)

Selling loot enabled the buying of protective bracers and cloak and a better hammer. He is now poor again.

edit

The hammer isn't better and it wasn't cheap! :(

• ussnorway likes this

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Phantasmic 6 {14} - monks party (update 2)

The monks had a close shave in the Cloud Peaks following a lightning strike that nearly killed Spook.
Spoiler
In this run Chimera doesn't have CLW as his first Bhaal ability, so the monks were on their way back to Nashkel to rest in the inn (they're not allowed healing potions) when they were again ambushed by an ogre mage.  This time it had companions and gained surprise with its belated appearance.  Fortunately its chromatic orb opener was not directed at Spook.  
Spoiler
The wand of sleep was used to put the gnolls down and the rest was easy enough - with Spook staying out of the way to avoid being finished off until the ogre mage was out of spells.

Taking that as a warning, I decided to do the Nashkel Mine at that stage to avoid being stuck out in the wilds again several potential ambushes away from a safe rest.  The monks had to retreat 3 times to Nashkel to rest while overcoming the kobold hordes.  They only used the wand once - to ensure there was no help for the chieftain and shaman - the latter failing to complete a spell before being stunned.  
Spoiler
Mulahey was also stunned to make the fight in the cave easy.
Spoiler

Back in Nashkel Nimbul's stoneskins were taken away by the guards to expose him to 5 stealthed stunning attacks.  The first 2 were critical misses, but then his luck ran out ...
Spoiler

Going back to finish off the Cloud Peaks the monks were already fully engaged with Laurel's gibberlings when Molkar decided to join in the fun.  
Spoiler
That was a tricky fight to manage with several sub-combats raging and Spectre blinded for most of the time.  However, the wand of sleep controlled the gibberlings quite well and Molkar's gang were either isolated and stunned or run round and shot.
Spoiler

With the mountains finished (picking up 14 winter wolf pelts in the process), the monks returned Samuel to the FAI and then started clearing more of the southern areas.  They maximised their reputation while doing that and headed north towards Ulgoth's Beard.  On the way they cleared the ankheg nest without problems, but then had their first casualty while exploring the exterior.  I was trying to avoid more than one ankheg being activated at once and hadn't noticed that two had sneaked up together here.  That should have been a signal to run, but they stayed to fight and, just before the first ankheg died it got a critical on Spectre - just as the other one hit as well with a killing blow. 
Spoiler

After adding to the temple roofing fund the monks carried on north and helped another farmer fertilise his fields with some zombies - the last of the monks got to level 6 there and a good set of rolls boosted them back to average HPs.  They celebrated by buying some goodies from Ulgoth's Beard.

The Wand of the Heavens burnt up some battle horrors at Durlag's Tower and some ghasts were shot down.  Before going after the basilisks though the monks diverted to Firewine Bridge in order to get Meilum's bracers to speed up kills (greatly reducing the danger that a single potion won't be enough to kill one of the basilisks) ...

Chimera - L6, 33 HPs, 130 kills
Spectre - L6, 51 HPs, 213 kills, 1 death
Phantom - L6, 36 HPs, 128 kills, 0 deaths
Wraith - L6, 39 HPs, 161 kills, 0 deaths
Spook - L6, 52 HPs, 153 kills, 0 deaths
Spirit - L6, 44 HPs, 145 kills, 0 deaths

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts

Hereward cleared the southern border area apart from the gnoll fortress itself. Near there he killed some assassins, the necklace of missiles being invaluable. He then headed northwards where he was given a pair of boots for protecting someone from a bear. He then went to the temple near Beregost where he fought a mixed pack of wolves including two vampyric ones.

From there he headed east and disposed of more assassins before dealing with the bassilisk problem. He used a scroll of protection from petrification and some oil of speed. He also used countless healing potions and will now have to acquire some more. Though he came close to death, the area was eventually cleared and he is now a level 6 cleric/level 6 ranger with proficiencies of ** in hammers, *** in dual wielding, ** in sword and shield and * in slings.

Clearly he will have to stick with hammers and slings for the moment.

Finances are still a problem due to an unwise choice of purchase earlier, as he will soon have to recharge his necklace of missiles.

• ussnorway likes this

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Phantasmic 6 {14} - monks party (update 3)

Back at Firewine Bridge there were no kobolds as the monks crossed the bridge, but as they fully explored the map terrain loads of them appeared - and Chimera's low HPs were almost exploited by a critical from a kobold commando.  
Spoiler
After resorting to a use of the wand of sleep the monks finished off the kobolds and stunned Meilum - but weren't interested in tackling Kahrk or the ruins for now.
Spoiler

Once more at Durlags Tower the party demonstrated their less than stellar saves by all being stunned by the trap leading out onto the roof.  
Spoiler
After recovering they killed the basilisks nicely - Spectre managing to save a potion by only using 1 to kill the last 2 basilisks - Spook giving a last-second hand to ensure it didn't run out on him.  
Spoiler
The ring of fire resistance then allowed Spectre to recover the +2 scimitar (the trap would otherwise have killed him).

They cleared a few more areas on the way back to the coast - having another competition with Drizzt to see who could kill the most gnolls on the way.  
Spoiler
They tried hard to kill the Doomsayer with melee weapons, but eventually had to turn to the wand.
Spoiler

At the lighthouse area the first group of sirines confused one and charmed 2 more of the monks, without ever seeming likely to kill anyone (Chimera wimped out by using the Greenstone Amulet for the first time).  
Spoiler
Sil's group was unlucky with all of them being quickly stunned and killed without managing an attack.
Spoiler
The golems were then shot down in no time.

Basillus was killed to finish off that area
Spoiler
on the way north to find the final group of sirines.  They put up a slightly better struggle, but still went down easily enough.
Spoiler

Carrying on ticking off areas the only instance of note in the next few was when Chimera again had to retreat hastily after being hit by a bandit critical in Larswood.
Spoiler
However, moving on to the Red Wizard area I tried fighting a large group of spiders in melee and Wraith got surrounded and unable to move away quickly enough after being injured.  
Spoiler
On coming back from the temple Spectre was almost immediately poisoned by an ettercap.  The party managed to finish off the attackers soon after, but the game only allowed them to rest some time later - just in time as the next tick of poison would have killed him.  
Spoiler
Shortly after that Wraith became the last of the monks to get to level 7 - HP rolls were again generally good and their new ability to lay on hands will makes thing easier for them in future.

That area was finished off with the help of a first use of the Necklace of fireballs and a couple of potion fireballs.
Spoiler
The monks then got the secret of the Bandit Camp from Tranzig
Spoiler
and are about to persuade Raiken to give them a lift there.  They've cleared all map areas currently accessible apart from the TotSC ones, Firewine Bridge and Ulcaster.

Chimera - L7, 42 HPs, 197 kills
Spectre - L7, 54 HPs, 324 kills, 1 death
Phantom - L7, 42 HPs, 200 kills, 0 deaths
Wraith - L7, 47 HPs, 235 kills, 1 death
Spook - L7, 62 HPs, 221 kills, 0 deaths
Spirit - L7, 51 HPs, 221 kills, 0 deaths

BBMorti

BBMorti
  • Members
  • 142 posts

Hey guys

I had an update planned for Farideh, but I wanted to do it after a short session before cooking myself some dinner. I am saddening to report that she ended up adding to the Basilisk meme of unfortunate endings as she was ambushed while taking a trip south to collect purple and red potions. It is my fault for not carrying that potion of mirrored eyes, I thought I did, but no..

I will consider what to roll up next and report back :)

I like your concept idea, Epsil0, will be interesting how it works out. Crossing fingers for Fortuna!

Now it is time to catch up on the thread while I comfort eat some dinner.

• ussnorway, Serg BlackStrider, Grond0 and 1 other like this

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Phantasmic 6 {14} - monks party (update 4)

At the Bandit Camp Tazok chased Wraith round in vain while the others shot him.  They then successfully blocked his escape and recovered a nice pair of bracers from the remains of his body.  
Spoiler
After all using shield they then made a good start on the bandits when all 3 Black Talons attacked were stunned.  
Spoiler
A couple of fireballs helped kill Venkt
Spoiler
and the battle was nearly over when Britik got a nasty critical on Wraith.  
Spoiler
She immediately used lay on hands and swapped targets with Spook, who had a few more HPs.  However, he then stayed next to Britik a moment too long trying to finish off a Black Talon.  The Talon hit him to reduce him to 32 HPs and Britik's next attack was also a critical - doing 32 HPs!
Spoiler
Shortly after that the remaining enemies were dead and the monks picked up equipment from the bodies before going to find the temple.

They returned to the Bandit Camp to loot the place before I remembered (this time) to reduce reputation before resting in order to get horror as a Bhaal ability.
Spoiler
Thalantyr also rendered the party a final service with a bit of XP before they headed for the Cloakwood.
Spoiler

In the first area I used the wrong monk to talk to Aldeth and he refused the opportunity for help - which proved costly for him.

In the second area Spirit was at the other end of the map springing web traps invisibly when 2 phase spiders teleported to the others.  Phantom was poisoned and the group were too far apart to be able to rejoin together to rest prior to him dying.  I had already written his death in my notes when, surprisingly, the poison stopped ticking with 2 HPs left.
Spoiler

While resting from that they were ambushed by a giant spider - who webbed Chimera just as another phase spider teleported in and poisoned him!  Fortunately the phase spider was stunned before it could attack again and the spiders were quickly killed allowing a rest.  
Spoiler
Wraith stealthed into Centeol's nest to throw 3 Necklace fireballs - leaving an easy mopping up operation for the full party.

In the third area Wraith was hit twice by a baby wyvern and was running it around while the others were finishing off Peter - when she dropped down dead.  
Spoiler
At least the lightning didn't chunk her.  Back in the third area the external druids were stunned with stealth attacks.  Amarande is dangerous if fought fairly so Spectre used area transitions to fill him full of darts until he finally came outside to face the others.
Spoiler

In the 4th area Phantom was poisoned in the wyvern cave, but fortunately the opponents were almost dead and he had time to step outside to rest.
Spoiler

At the mine the exterior area was cleared first.  Genthore was then dominated (by scroll) to have a whack at Kysus.  A follow-up fireball then killed him.
Spoiler
Phantom had been sent past the mages to view the area there and hid while the others ran to the edge of the map.  I then made a mistake by looking at Genthore and seeing him stop - and assuming that Rezdan had done the same.  However, while I was concentrating on bringing Phantom back under stealth Rezdan appeared and cast chaos on 4 of the monks confusing 3 of them.  
Spoiler
Fortunately Spectre, who had been keeping an eye on Genthore, was able to stun him before he could join in and Chimera and the rejoining Phantom finished him off while Rezdan was playing with the confused characters.  The mage himself then became the latest stunning victim.
Spoiler
After resting Drasus was protected from stun by enrage, so was just shot down.
Spoiler

They're just starting their clearance operation in the mine.

Chimera - L7, 42 HPs, 238 kills
Spectre - L7, 54 HPs, 378 kills, 1 death
Phantom - L7, 42 HPs, 236 kills, 1 death
Wraith - L7, 47 HPs, 305 kills, 2 deaths
Spook - L7, 62 HPs, 262 kills, 0 deaths
Spirit - L7, 51 HPs, 260 kills, 0 deaths

• ussnorway, Serg BlackStrider and realmuzzy like this

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Phantasmic 6 {14} - monks party (5th and final update)

After killing a fair number of Hareishan's guards I had another go at dragging the lightning trap into the room - this time successfully.  A few stealth shots encouraged Hareishan to follow upstairs, where he couldn't handle the monks' firepower.  

The monks cleared the rest of the mine down to Davaeorn's level without problems.  However, in order to be able to pick up the treasure expected to be found there they took a trip back to Beregost to sell their current loot.  On the way back they were ambushed by spiders and wyverns.  That didn't seem likely to cause a problem when one of the wyverns and one spider were sent running by a rare use of Bhaal horror.  However, the other wyvern managed to poison Chimera just before it died.  He tried using lay on hands on himself, but that takes a while to cast and was interrupted by the poison.  Resting is not possible in the ambush areas and they couldn't leave as Phantom had been webbed by a spider.  They did have a protection from poison scroll and Wraith tried using that on Chimera, but it proved very slow to cast and 2 ticks of the poison were too much for him before the scroll took effect ...
Spoiler

• ussnorway, Grimwald the Wise and realmuzzy like this

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Sorry to hear that Grond0. Not allowing antidotes is rather rough. Phase spiders and Wyverns have some pretty strong poison.

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts

Hard luck Grond0.

Trying to play with your restrictions is not something that I am willing to try yet.

I'm already finding my current set-up more than enough of a challenge since I rarely get to Amn.

With vanilla it became too boring. I could win virtually every time. Not now, which is now enough of a challenge.

If you don't get beaten, you obviously think that it is too easy.

• Grond0 likes this

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts

Hereward has just left the Nashkel Mines.

He beat the assassins with some difficulty and returned ostensibly to return Joseph's ring, but in fact to lick his wounds.

It was well he did for Mulahey and his summoned monsters also proved a challenge. Also the shaman at the bottom of the mines cast horror which was not as bad as it could have been as most of the other kobolds were dead, though the shaman and the captain were all too alive. Hereward was fortunate not to run over the traps as that could have killed him. He stopped a whisker short of them. Not wanting to return once more to the surface, he consumed most of his ordinary healing potions

DUHM, chant, stoneskin, freedom of action and shield of faith, proved sufficient to defeat Mulahey.

Hereward used sanctuary to get into the position he wanted before the fight started. (Near the chest so that there was a clear space to use necklace of missiles.)

Mulahey normally moves away before the fight. He didn't on this occasion which made it harder as only his minions got caught in the blast.

realmuzzy

realmuzzy
  • Members
  • 133 posts

Iolo had plenty of opportunity for mischief in Baldur's Gate. He pranked and tricked his way right to the headquarters of the iron throne where he uncovered the plot to take over the city. He went through Candlekeep quickly and returned to save Duke Eltan and face the assassins Slythe and Krysten. (*accidentally deleted all screenshots up to this point, oops*).

Solo put down some traps, summoned his skeletons and greeted Slythe with a backstab. Kristen appeared and Iolo ran away to invis and dispel their illusions/invisibilities.

Spoiler

However when he hid in shadows, SCS hid Slythe and Krysten with an invisibility undispellable by detect illusion, so Iolo sent in the skeletons and backstabbed Slythe as soon as he showed himself. One more whack of the quarterstaff and the rogue was dead.

Spoiler

Krysten fought a losing battle against the skeletons, but running wouldn't save her as she ran straight into the traps. A whack or two later and she was dead, her only threatening move in dispel magic long gone.

Spoiler

With his tickets to the palace Iolo was ready to save the day

Spoiler

He focused the shaman with his wands, while meleeing enemies closest to Liia and put his best effort into getting the dopplegangers down before the inevitable confusion.

Spoiler

The mage failed to dispel but managed to aim the perfect lightning bolt centered on Iolo, Belt and Liia that bounced back and forth off the back wall. The lucky bastard evaporated Liia and brought Belt to Badly wounded, but fortunately Atweaks Bhaal healing is pretty decent and brought Belt back to barely wounded.

Iolo chased down the mage, and once Sarevok joined the fray occupied him with the skeletons long enough for Sarevok to decide he's had enough.

Spoiler

There's no running away from vengeful gnomes though. Sarevok's gang was defeated using the standard pattern: enter, get dispelled, invis to rebuff and kite the group while immune to their ranged damage slowly whittling them down. The mages tried to invis to wait out his protection from magic potion (*which is one of the rare parts of SCS scripting that I really don't like. I agree that it's a reasonable thing for mages to do, but waiting out a multiple hour duration potion especially in an area where you can't go away to rest is too annoying for the sake of realism*) but he canvased the area with his 100% detect illusion multiple times to put a stop to that.

Once the helpers were gone, Iolo put all of his invis potions to good use and took down Sarevok in style with a kidney punch here and a groin punch there.

Spoiler

• ussnorway, Serg BlackStrider, Grond0 and 2 others like this

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,558 posts

Well done, Realmuzzy! Keep focus in Amn.

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts

Realmuzzy, your set-up and mine are hardly recognisable as the same game. Well done. :)

After clearing the mines, Hereward cleared the area around the exit before setting off for Durlag's Tower.

I thought that I would be paying a quick visit, but found that he was well able to cope with all the enemies he met, though lightning Bolt Traps hurt him.

Lack of forethought meant no potion of mirrored eyes, so the basilisks were left in peace. Three of the warders riddles were solved, but I chose not to give love his wine. Further downstairs my game gets buggy!

Thalantyr upgraded the belts, making one out of three.

Then dealt with the sirene and sil.

Due to a potion they were no problem.

EDIT

Killed another assassin at Nashkel and told the mayor about my exploits.

I then visited the bandit camp and used my stealth to avoid all conflict there except for killing Tazok with my trusty sling, oil of speed being used to keep my distance.

On the way killed Molkar and associates.

The DSoSC assassins were similarly killed though necklace of missiles was also brought into play.

In Tazok's tent oil of speed plus sanctuary got Hereward to the chest. The contents were extracted and then hide in shadows to leave unmolested.

Went to Cloakwood where we collected a cloak that was hanging on a dead tasloi, and then for a change sided with the druids.

Then killed loads of spiders and a dragon. Realised afterwards that returning to the druid was a bad idea. it is far more profitable to kill her.

Made one mistake. Forgot to go and speak to Transig after killing Tazok. Lost a bit of equipment and experience there. :(

Second Edit

Run came to an end at the top of the Cloakwood mines due to a confusion spell. :(

After that it was downhill all the way.

It was partly bad management as positioning was wrong. However it could still have happened, solo is always a bit risky.

Perhaps I should have used stealth as in my installation Davaeorn has boots of speed too..

• ussnorway likes this