Photo

Baldur's Gate 1 No-Reload Challenge

• Please log in to reply
16394 replies to this topic

The Fred

The Fred
  • Members
  • 2,516 posts

Unfortunately, Marcus' endeavours have been put on hold, due to a fatal crash bug when resting. I read that this could be due to putting certain items in a bag of holding and, since I had just filled by bag with four dead party members' gear, I emptied the entire thing (including 210 throwing daggers... I discovered - thankfully! - that you can move a bundle out at once by double-clicking). Still no dice. I'm going to have to mess around a bit, see if I can fix it.

• Grimwald the Wise likes this

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts

Hard luck Borc0. :(

Matuse73

Matuse73
  • Members
  • 42 posts

You could try using Shadowkeeper to edit the character inventory and delete the bag of holding. Then maybe you can CLUA it back in once the game is running, pull out the offending items and be restored.

• Grimwald the Wise likes this

The Fred

The Fred
  • Members
  • 2,516 posts

Having taken everything out of the bag, I'm not sure if that's the problem. I will try that, though. For all I know it could be resting when someone is shapeshifted into a werewolf and dead or something to do with one of the warders, or whatever, who knows? The bag of holding has apparently caused problems before, though, so it seems like the best first thing to try.

Borco

Borco
  • Members
  • 100 posts

Hard luck Borc0. :(

I believe I'm fully responsible this time  :D

Borco

Borco
  • Members
  • 100 posts

Sihaya, human Diviner, 1st entry: Introduction

Having been inspired by realmuzzy's conceptual wizard run with Raissa the Necromancer, I was curious about trying something slightly similar. Therefore I give you Sihaya, a lawful good Diviner.

Sihaya_zpssv5a5q2j.jpg

Experiencing various visions since she was a little girl, Sihaya had slowly learned to identify certain patterns in what one visiting scholar in Candlekeep described as the 'moments of clarity'. She liked the term, since it well described the nature of the phenomenon, occurring not only as a conscious revelation of certain events beyond the events horizon, but sometimes also as a plain-simple 'gut-feeling'.

Ranging from vivid to confusing, true to completely misleading and pleasant to nightmarish, she knew that these 'visions' were both a divine gift as well as a curse. In order the protect her sanity through better understanding of her condition, Gorion had insisted that Sihaya be carefully mentored in the magical arts from her early years. The truth is that he dreaded the inevitable implications of her dark heritage on her 'talents', or maybe vice versa, and wanted to make sure that her gentle soul would be able to grasp it when the time came - whatever form that might take.

Full sheet: 

Spoiler

B.

• ussnorway, Serg BlackStrider, Grimwald the Wise and 3 others like this

Borco

Borco
  • Members
  • 100 posts
Sihaya, human Diviner, 2nd entry: Into the Wilds

It's intriguing to play a Diviner. Really. Like how cool is knowing that Fuller will need his bolts that day, way before he'd be able to think of it himself? Or finding a book in a pile of hay - just like that? I'm enjoying this already and we're only about to leave Candlekeep.

Anyway, it could be said that Sihaya's first contact with the Sword Coast has been...unconventional.

At first she got some help from a strange pair, a halfling and a mage, whom had protected her from a frenzied gibberling. They offered her some equipment, even though it has not been without a comment or two...

Untitled44_zpsgqh9ihxq.jpg

However, for all its worth, Sihaya knew that this was a false courtesy of evil (and possibly mentally unstable) men and has declined their invitation of joint travels. 

Once again on her own, she collected the Ring of Wizardry (cheesy, I know) at FAI and then picked up a mandatory ogre-fight.

Untitled45_zpskmja0p03.jpg

After that the events took an unexpected turn, as she's been forced to retreat eastbound from some caravan raiders, all the way to Larswood.

It felt like a real wilderness there. She had been hearing stories about the Druids back in Candlekeep - the wise men and women of the forest. Well, most of them at least. Then there was the militant sect of the Shadow Druids of course.

Although it has been a bright sunny day the wood felt dark. And she was lost. Sihaya closed her eyes and concentrated. She saw stone pillars. Circles and patterns. A ritual place. And humanly shapes. Druids.

She followed her inner compass further to the east. And just as the night was about to fall upon the forest she's found the place. The figures too. His name was Osmandi. Something told her that this would not be a pleasant encounter she's been hoping for...but being accused of murder was beyond any imagination.  Driven by a false sense of vengeance, he attacked. That meant time for some magic. 

Untitled46_zpsylwyj3sr.jpg

But there were bears too. Sihaya felt sorry for the poor beasts.

Untitled47_zps84os5h01.jpg

Soon she could have been called the 'Bear Hunter', but there was no pride in that. Only compassion. 

Untitled56_zpsk9kvdfl4.jpg

She sensed some other activity back at the ritual grounds. The other figure. Joining the fight against Osmandi. Something's wrong though.

Untitled48_zpsl7su0k0i.jpg

Osmandi, still blind from Sihaya's potent spell, has been brought down.  

Untitled49_zpsyubzvo16.jpg

She had to rest for a while and contemplate on her next action. Will she go back? Who was that other man and what is he up to? Could she expect some to receive any help? If he was indeed a druid as well, why would he fight his fellow member of the order?

Questions...too many questions...can sometimes give a clean answer. She open her eyes and knew. There would be no help from this man called Corsone. But there needed to be remedy for his evil actions.

Taking no risks, Sihaya has blinded him as she approached. She demanded answers to confirm what has been done to Osmandi. He went furious. No more proof of his manipulative actions was necessary.

Untitled51_zpsqrkqizxf.jpg

By then, the 1000 XP question was whether Sihaya's 33 darts and 7 wand charges would be enough to carve through his Ironskin and healing potions to get the deed done. The answers is to be found below :) .

Spoiler

Regards,

B.
  • BBMorti, ussnorway, Serg BlackStrider and 4 others like this

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts

@Borco

You made no mention of picking up a ring of protection +1 on the way to the ring of wizardry.

Isn't it available in your set-up? For a mage, I would have thought it vital.

If you don't know where it is, you will need some blindness or sleep spells in readiness whilst you investigate.

It is as well hidden as the diamond near Xzar and Montaron.

• Borco likes this

Golden28

Golden28
  • Members
  • 277 posts

He actually did mention it wise.

Nice going borco.

Cheers!

• Borco likes this

Borco

Borco
  • Members
  • 100 posts

He actually did mention it wise.

I suppose Grimwald meant the Ring of Protection, which I have indeed omitted in the report, although it had been collected as soon as possible  ;) .

Regards,

B.

realmuzzy

realmuzzy
  • Members
  • 133 posts

Soon she could have been called the 'Bear Hunter', but there was no pride in that. Only compassion. 

Multiple cave bears with only plain darts, wizard thac0 and only blindness to help? She could also be called "Avatar of Patience".

Good luck to Sihaya! You absolutely have to get all easter eggs and arrive to all fights prebuffed. If diviners don't have a good excuse, who does?

• Borco and Golden28 like this

Borco

Borco
  • Members
  • 100 posts
Sihaya, human Diviner, 3rd entry: Staying busy

Just a quick update to prove that Sihaya's not been idle after surviving Larswood.

She has made her way to Beregost and thereafter to Nashkel, completing minor quests on the way. As there was nothing of interest to be procured from the Thunderhammer's Smithy, the majority of available funds has been spent on spell scrolls (including one safety Potion of Mirrored Eyes) at High Hedge.

Even for a Diviner, the world was still full of surprises. Like blinded skeletons for instance...

Untitled53_zpssvwpjyzs.jpg

Shoal provided some XP boost.

Untitled54_zpsr5vkfowp.jpg

Sihaya then visited the Red Canyon area to pick up a talking chicken only to see it Antichickenated by Thalantyr before long. Even thought she had not yet dared to challenge Bassilus, there's still been some good action.

Untitled55_zpsx4qpuymr.jpg

Putting Blindness and Invisibility spells to a good use, Sihaya's been able to clear the Fire Leaf Forest (south of Nashkel) and Dryad Falls (further to the east).

Being currently level 5, she now feels ready to tackle some more serious opponents.

B.
  • biowherewolf, ussnorway, Serg BlackStrider and 2 others like this

biowherewolf

biowherewolf
  • Members
  • 162 posts

Congrats Borco, it seems like you're making great progress. 

As for Onud. It's been more about party choice than anything else. 

He picked up Monatron and Xzar only to drop them and pick up Branwen. Only to pick up M. and X. later. Then he picked up Minsc. 

Then Monatron got eaten by a bear. 

Then Minsc got eaten by a bear. 

Then Branwen almost got eaten by a bear.

Spoiler

A quick trip to the temple and a stack of gold later, and they headed to get Minsc's witch.

Can I just say that sleep is an *awesome* spell?

Spoiler

After getting Dynaheir, they dropped Monatron and Xzar again. Only to find out what an under-powered witch Dynaheir really is. Invocation is great and all, but the lack of Enchantment is really, really painful (did I mention that sleep is an awesome spell?). 

So, they picked up Monty and Xzar again and headed off to finish Nashkel. 

Monatron dropped. And Xzar showed how sleep is an *awesome* spell

Spoiler

They dumped off Monatron and Xzar fell. So, they had no sleep spells. Still, the group decided to take a shot at Mulahey anyway. They managed to sneak in and get Xan without major issue. 

They tossed some scrolls to Xan, gave him a sling and went for it. 

Onud stealthed his way in, although, as a Shadowdancer, he can't really backstab for additional damage. Still, he was able to open fire from behind with his short bow while Minsc charged from the front, Xan cranked a scroll and Branwen started a hold person.  

The hold person stuck. 

Spoiler

That was all great, but Mulahey managed to summon help. And the team was pretty much out of area of effect spells. So it became a grind. And the party is still low level  (Onud and Branwen were 3rd). 

So they fought ... and fought ... and fought. It took so long that Mulahey came out of the hold person! 

Fortunately, Branwen, being 3rd level, had 2 holds. She got the 2nd one off, right as Mulahey finished his Entangle. The hold stuck again. And the entangle actually kept the mobs away.

The team focused on Mulahey this time, since they were out of Hold Person spells, and brought him down pretty quickly. Then it was back to the grind of the attacking mobs of skeletons and kobolds. 

Dynaheir fell. But other than that, it was a success. 

Spoiler

They happily headed back to Nashkel, stopping at the temple to get Dynaheir back. 

And were completely shocked to get attacked by an assassin outside the inn (because... I *completely* forgot!) 

Fortunately, Branwen had one command left to cast... aaaannddd.. it worked!

Spoiler

Xan had the wand of frost and it was more than enough:

Spoiler

With the team safe, and Xzar dead, the dumped him in a ditch and decided to keep Dynaheir (so they could keep Minsc) and Xan (since... as mentioned,  D. is an Invoker). 

So... what do you all think?

Dy? Xan? Both? Neither?

Let me know what you think.

--BW

• ussnorway, Serg BlackStrider, realmuzzy and 1 other like this

Epsil0

Epsil0
  • Members
  • 208 posts

So. Benoni the I-have-no-idea-th

My thoughts on SCS in BG1 are still conflicted. I hate how most of the key battles have to be solved not with a character's abilities, generally, but with an assortment of potions and scrolls that don't really care who the user is (except for the Wizard Slayer, of course.) Any who. This is probably true for vanilla as well, the shortcuts just generally aren't as dangerous.

Stats:

Benonihighnumber_zpsk01cy1go.jpg

Changes from before: Specializing in short bows for a change rather than darts, the 18 STR. He's a child of Bhaal. The inhuman strength despite reading books his entire life is a thing now, just for convenience sake so I don't have to go crazy with weight limits.

Burying Gorion:

BuryingGorionBenoni_zpsdpkrktcr.jpeg

Moving onto Shoal, into Ogre, into Tarnesh.

TarneshBaSt_zpssuyt4joc.jpeg

One backstab's enough.

Spiders are killed at range, and south for the Pro. Petrification scroll. Mutamin next, no issues here as I waited for night and stealthed Benoni in view of Mutamin so that Korax could actually respond and paralyze the little maniac. Weapon upgrade:

GreywolfBen_zpsxkikbeeb.jpeg

Script broken and abused:

MulaheyBen_zps9uqc3xbe.jpeg

Cheesing for items: PFUDBen_zpsfdul6ikf.jpeg

RevenantBen_zpss8zzhp2k.jpeg

Nimbul, whose death was stolen by Rasaad, and then Neira:NeiraBen_zps7otnrywa.jpeg

Benoni not succeeding in backstabs: TranzigBlindBen_zpso2h9evry.jpeg The Hide in Shadows abuse when blinded though is quite nice. Next attempt at a backstab worked after waiting out the MIs.

Basillus was nothing but trouble. First attempt, he just summoned an Aerial servant and then waited. Not wanting to go into the fight, I withdrew and rested. Second try, his spell book apparently readjusts and... HeldBen_zpsvakeb5as.jpeg

Hidden, though, using HiS and nothing comes to kill Benoni in a turn. A couple games of ring-around-the-rosey later:BasillusBen_zpssw29kqj5.jpeg

Sirines under Potion of Clarity, Flesh Golems attacked from stealth, almost dying to the Ankhegs due to a stupid decision in actually USING the claw of Kazgorath instead of just carrying it for BG2... And then Bandit Camp.

VenktBlindBen_zps938b1yha.jpeg

Benoni REALLY attracts blinds. Anyhow.

BritikBlindBen_zpsaiepwtkg.jpeg

Ankheg armor into Spider woods, all 4 Phase Spiders meet their ends to Varscona in a straight-up melee. No screenshots past here, so here goes: Cloakwood. Chilak's body and Spider's Bane. Ambushed by Molkar and co., run away. Clear out the guard-house under stealth first, one of the chests has a Potion of Magic Shielding that I didn't know about. Battle for the boots of speed goes pear-shaped; most potions are burnt through, I didn't use the guardhouse I cleared explicitly for zoning for stealths for actually stealthing, and the only clean kill in Genthore. Drasus hits even through a Potion of Absorption, and the straight-up melee didn't go nearly as planned. The mages realized attacking through a Pro. Magic is useless, and their Sequencers with Invisibility keep them alive.

Stealth to Davaeorn, stopping shortly to free the slaves.

Between MIs, 4 Extra-Healing Potions, and Stoneskins, Davaeorn manages to last out the entire remainder of Pro. Magic and the Potion of Magic Shielding. 7 charges of the necklace of missiles as well as 2 potions of Explosion were used. His Save vs Death is still at a ridiculous 8 or lower, as determined by shooting poisonous arrows at him. I ran through every single health potion here to defeat him... It was a ridiculously drawn out fight, and included a death risk as a Chromatic Orb was thankfully saved against.

Ben's at the FAI, healing and restocking on potions and getting ready to start the few things in BG proper that he wants.

Benoni, Elf 7/7 Fighter/Thief, 57 HP, 139 kills, MPV Davaeorn.

• ussnorway, Serg BlackStrider, realmuzzy and 1 other like this

Golden28

Golden28
  • Members
  • 277 posts

Is nrc relatively new to you biowherewolf? If yes, keep both I'd say. You could use the firepower of dynaheir and the dire charms of xan. Not to mention they can both spam wands, like wand of paralyzation of fireball.

Cheers!

Golden28

Golden28
  • Members
  • 277 posts

Epsil0, fighter/thieves multi or dual re my favorite class! Good luck.

Cheers!

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

Dy? Xan? Both? Neither?

Let me know what you think.

Hard to look past Edwin ...

If you like the mages then how about trying a whole party of them?

Epsil0

Epsil0
  • Members
  • 208 posts

And... right. Backstabs from Slythe from a +1 multiplier sword. What's the standard way to NOT die here with anything that can't cast Stoneskin anyways? Or cast spells in general, I suppose, since summoned monsters seem to be able to soak up the attacks. Regardless, Benoni (10?) has fallen and I think I'm done trying out BG1 with SCS solo. I think I'll give him one try in more-or-less vanilla to move on to BG2 with some type of install... I still have his story I want to complete.

wing

wing
  • Members
  • 42 posts

After a few attempts at no-reloading BG2, (and a summerlong hiatus) I remembered i bought BGEE way back when it came out. I have pretty much no experience with BG1, so hopefully reading some of these runs will serve as enough of a guide. I ran a couple of characters into the dirt just to get the feel for BG1 and now have a (hopefully) serious entry into the challenge.

Manadh Gylissar: LG Human Enchanter

Baldr005_zpswgljnxib.png

Did the basic Candlekeep chores, then left. Imoen decided to tag along, and then we picked up Montaron and Xzar for some extra bodies to fight Tarnesh. Also found a diamond in a hollow tree and a magical ring that the Guild of No-Reloaders left for me near the Friendly Arm Inn. Once inside there we ditched Monty and Xzar for Khalid and Jahiera, then headed north to pick up Ajantis. Grabbed him too, then scuttled back down to FAI and farther south, hunting down an ogre on the way.

I had originally intended to make Manadh a female, with a thing for Paladins, but i was almost done with character creation and had rolled an 88 on the first roll. Anyway, that problem was solved when Manadh put on a CURSED BELT! Female now, and with a new portrait to match, Manadh, Imoen, and Ajantis <3  venture further south to Beregost, run a few little errands, Kagain tags along for a while before being felled by a Ghoul's paralyzing blows. Exploration has been extremely cautious thus far, generally at night with Imoen endlessly trying to hide in shadows. Baldr007_zpskfptdddg.pngWe cleared out the spiders in the house and returned the boots and wine, then repossessed Zhurlong's boots, but Imoen really likes them so we haven't gotten around to returning them yet. Somehow pickpocketed Algernon so Manadh has a glorious new cloak, and we are now exploring various wilderness areas. Mutamin was defeated with the aid of Korax the Ghoul and Pro. Petrification on Ajantis, as were several basilisks.

Manadh is tantalizingly close to lvl 4 but will have to wait till tomorrow. If anyone has any basic advice on quests, items, or anything else useful, feel free to PM me.Baldr009_zpsmcydkf0s.png

One last thing, if anyone is interested in a no-relaod MP run of vanilla BGEE and then onto minorly modded (fixpack, tweakpack, UB) BG2 (not EE) I would love to try out some multiplayer. my time is very open right now. Let's Play!

• ussnorway, Serg BlackStrider, realmuzzy and 2 others like this

realmuzzy

realmuzzy
  • Members
  • 133 posts

Raissa took some time to organize her thoughts and plan an assault on the hidden mine. She decided that despite her distaste for illusionary magic she would need a ring of invisibility. In fact she was a bit pleased that the main power of illusionists can be derived from a simple ring.

In Cloakwood her first encounter was with a group of druids trying to execute a group of hunters. She didn't care one way or the other but the wealthy city-folk offered her a rich reward and there were still items she wanted to purchase so she slaughtered the druids, incapacitating them first with web and then blasting them with skull traps

Spoiler

On her way through the woods she was ambushed not once, but twice. The women were too dangerous, with their poisoned weapons and ability to simultaneously backstab her while she's not looking, so she ran from them. The men she took care of using her usual tactics.

Spoiler

The rest of her journey through the woods was uneventful, until she reached the mine. She scouted the mine invisible, and discovered it's heavily guarded. In particular the two high level wizards worried her. She can take any wizard one on one in a fair fight, but with two wizards she was at risk of being simultaneously dispelled and enchanted while defenseless. Thus, she decided to try the Cloudkill spell she recently mastered. She can't make cloudkill negative energy, as befits a necromancer, but the pure life snuffing power of the poison cloud is still more than worthy of her spell book. She invoked webs first a couple of times, and then stinking clouded a couple of times, finally unleashing cloud kill. Once the enemies noticed the slow onset spells it was already too late (*I'd prefer to do it without exploiting the fact enemies don't go hostile and prebuff when affected by non-damaging spells. Does anyone know if that's an SCS design decision or an engine limitation?*)

Spoiler

The road to the center of the mine was open. The main bodyguard was paralyzed with a wand and dispatched of, and Raissa protected herself from the most common forms of magical attacks before scouting out the entrance to Daveorn's chambers, Daveorn being the leader of the operation. She sneaked in without alerting a soul and so was able to fill the mine leader's room with webs and poisonous vapors without him knowing there was a wizard coming to kill him. He tried to save himself by chugging a series of health potions but it was not enough once Raissa started to channel multiple skull traps in his direction.

Spoiler

Her victory was not a surprise but the robe of the evil magi she stripped off the dead mage's body was. An artifact she could only dream of as a girl, now in her possession helping her achieve her destiny.

• BBMorti, ussnorway, Serg BlackStrider and 2 others like this

realmuzzy

realmuzzy
  • Members
  • 133 posts

And... right. Backstabs from Slythe from a +1 multiplier sword. What's the standard way to NOT die here with anything that can't cast Stoneskin anyways? Or cast spells in general, I suppose, since summoned monsters seem to be able to soak up the attacks. Regardless, Benoni (10?) has fallen and I think I'm done trying out BG1 with SCS solo. I think I'll give him one try in more-or-less vanilla to move on to BG2 with some type of install... I still have his story I want to complete.

Sorry about Ben :(

Yeah, RR + SCS Slythe has 2 higher backstab multiplier than vanilla Slythe and is very capable of chunking medium-to low hp characters. I think for roguish characters this is a good place to put your invisibility potions/ring of invisibility into overdrive. Backstab, invis, detect illusions (this is why potions and not rogue stealth after you backstab him), backstab and so on until you exhaust his healing potions. He fails a lot of stunning dart saves in my experience too if you want to mix that in.

realmuzzy

realmuzzy
  • Members
  • 133 posts

Having killed Daveorn, Raissa went back to High Hedge to get herself the claw of Kazgaroth and so equipped she went to Ulgoth's beard. Instead of doing more shopping she was accosted by a powerful mage who teleported her to a lonely island in the middle of nowhere. Her only chance of escape was collecting a magical cloak for the man who trapped her there. Fortunately, her ability to take life was far above the other victims of the island and she emerged victorious, 

Spoiler

Now an owner of a stoneskin scroll, she bought potions of genius and mind focusing and added the spell to her repertoire.

In Baldur's Gate she met Elminster again, who continued his charade of being just a mysterious stranger. She rebuffed his meddling and in the following few days made sure that her presence is felt in the big city. What brought her particular joy is that in addition to her necromantic spells she started to develop powerful innate necromancy such as a decay of the body she could attempt on anyone she could touch (*atweaks bhaalpower*)

Spoiler

With notoriety comes Harper interference, as she was reminded of with the appearance of a Harper mage assassin. She got dispelled but had a sphere of invulnerability ready to recover and make her escape

Spoiler

She is weak when ambushed and stripped of her protections so she ran using her boots of speed and hid for the night in a local inn. The assassins was tipped about her location though and followed her but now he was the one on the back foot

Spoiler

Dispelled he could not cast due to her surprisingly accurate dart throws and fell soon after.

Nobody else dared bother her which made it easy to locate the possible source of her problems on the top floor of the iron throne building. She charged in with her usual straightforwardness, but discovering there is a large group of people completely ready for her retreated downstairs. The wand of paralyzation took care of the first few pursuers

Spoiler

And for those who would not submit to paralyzation she had wands of fire, frost and lightning ready

Spoiler

Once only those who wouldn't come downstairs were left, she went up and charmed the most brutish looking man.

Spoiler

who happily slaughtered his comrades. The last survivor, Zhalimar she burned alive

Spoiler

except that he wasn't the last survivor as she figured out when she heard feet moving around her. The mage who was waiting out her magic protection potion invisible she drew out by summoning orcs and as he was low she drained his life to end him and replenish herself.

• ussnorway, Serg BlackStrider and Borco like this

biowherewolf

biowherewolf
  • Members
  • 162 posts

@Golden: No, I've been no-reloading on and off for a few years. I generally like smaller parties, but each run is different, I suppose. 

@Grond0: Edwin rocks. But i'm trying to keep the party "good". I've been thinking about a party of mages tho'. That does sound fun. 

@Epsil0: seriously close call with Bassillus!  I've had that happen with invisibility potions, but with my luck, I'd fail the hide in shadows. Nice timing. 

--BW

Borco

Borco
  • Members
  • 100 posts
Great progress, realmuzzy! I'm hoping to see Raissa in Amn soon.

Anyway, there's an announcement to be made regarding Sihaya the Diviner. For some reason I did not find the run very enjoyable as I could not really identify with the character. Therefore she's been put on hold for the time being. Let's see what comes up next...

Regards,

B.
  • realmuzzy likes this

realmuzzy

realmuzzy
  • Members
  • 133 posts

After storming the Iron Throne headquarters Raissa hurried to Candlekeep to see if she can find Sarevok and deal with him. She spent no time saying awkward hellos to the people from her past. There are mages that she respects there, but her ties to Candlekeep were severed a long time ago.

As she was climbing up the main tower she was stopped and escorted to a cell to await judgement for the murder of the Iron Throne leaders. How ironic that of all the murders held against her, this one she was innocent of. Fortunately Tethoril came to help her, sentimentality was always the old man's weakness, and with the help of her ring of invisibility she made her escape from Candlekeep unnoticed.

Back in Baldur's Gate she realized she was returning in the middle of a power struggle for the leadership of the city. More precisely, Sarevok was taking over the city and she was bringing the struggle. She saved Duke Eltan to boost her case with the remaining nobles and then went to eliminate Sarevok's pair of assassins.

She struggled a bit to come up with a surprise attack that would work in the crowded ****** house where they were hiding. How silly of her, how beholden to ways of thinking she should have abandoned a long time ago. She decided to exterminate the entire place. The nobles there are all incognito and the sad wretches satisfying their whims are unlikely to be missed. When she unleashed her destructive magic, the killing vapors and the slowing webs immediately killed a dozen people. More usefully they drew out the two assassins

Spoiler

Without magical help, the rogue struggled to stay alive and fell before he could even reach Raissa. The mage wanted to be offensive but failed multiple spell casts while trying to get out of the poisonous cloud.

Spoiler

Against a fully magic protected Raissa the mage went for her summoning and protection spells trying to win with physical damage. Raissa in turn channeled her anger into bhaal-powered wrath that seriously damaged her opponent and allowed her to finish the fight with a life drain.

Spoiler

She rested and made her way to Sarevok's ceremony. She used her protections, summoned some spiders and other creatures, hasted everyone and engaged the gathering. She malisoned, chaosed, and finally used a sequencer to glitter dust and horror the dopplegangers.

Spoiler

Unfortunately the mage resisted all of the spells, including the followup chaoses and cast a return chaos. On top of it Liia was the focus target for dopplegangers and there was little Raissa could do about it. Never the less she continued her efforts and hunted down the mage while controlling the rest with fear. In the end it was only her and Belt left, the man near death.

Spoiler

She never lost her presence of mind though and summoned kobolds and hobgoblins to serve as meat shields while she distracted Belt from killing himself by engaging Sarevok. As she kept throwing more and more  pests at Sarevok he grew frustrated and ran

Spoiler

They knew exactly where he was running however, and Raissa pursued invisible. In his temple Stronghold she finally confronted him in a battle to the death. He summoned his henchmen who immediately tried to dispel her. Raissa almost died here as the invisibility potion she timed for the dispel was followed by an immediate second dispel that took her out and made her a pincushion for Diarmaid's arrows

Spoiler

Fortunately she survived to imbibe another potion of invisibility and then went to cure the poison and reapply her protections. When she returned to the fight she was the one on the offensive. She dispelled and then summoned all of her killing magic to deal with as many henchmen as possible.

Spoiler

This left Diarmid and Tazok. She chucked potions of explosions and fiery burning at them to bypass the magic resistance but this wasn't enough as Diarmaid had many healing potions left. Fortunately she didn't have to wait too long for his protection from magic to fade and she finished him off with wand strikes.

Spoiler

Finally left one on one with Sarevok she used all of her necromancy, innate and learned, against him. As she failed to kill him she started using her wands, and even exhausted as she was she managed to bring him down

Spoiler

• Serg BlackStrider, Grond0 and wing like this