Photo

Baldur's Gate 1 No-Reload Challenge

• Please log in to reply
16394 replies to this topic

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

Grond0 and his band of 6 monks, who have made at least 30 attempts has inspired me.  I gave up on the paladins after only 4 tries. That is, my fifth attempt, I took out a paladin and put in a cleric/thief. Decided if I try harder, maybe I can make 6 paladins work. So 6 paladins it is. This run only paladins can join this party. This mean in BG 1, only Ajantis can join, and in BG 2, Keldorn. Melissan or bust!

My original group challenge was the Wrecking Crew of dwarf fighters.  They're only up to 14 attempts so far, but I'll get back to them one day ...

Best of luck with the paladins.

• corey_russell, Grimwald the Wise, Blackraven and 1 other like this

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

My original group challenge was the Wrecking Crew of dwarf fighters.  They're only up to 14 attempts so far, but I'll get back to them one day ...

Best of luck with the paladins.

Thanks! Hopefully I won't need luck, but if I do, I will certainly take it.

• Grimwald the Wise and Blackraven like this

Jabberwock

Jabberwock
  • Members
  • 62 posts

Well Sarevok was defeated again. Unfortunately, apparently my laptop restarted for windows updates and so my screenshot utility wasn't open and I don't have any screenshots. 

It was a fun and more streamlined run now that we knew where everything was. I am somewhat embarassed to say I didn't do any better on any of the fights I had trouble with last run. Including once again having to throwing axe Sarevok to death after half my party was killed in the final fight.

Anyhow, Imoen dualclassed to mage was much much better than single class thief, unsurprisingly. In particular, it allowed her to be a reliable wand user, allowing the party to use paralyzation and other wands much more aggressively. Two mages with wands of paralyzation quickly end most fights unless the mages are threatened or the enemies are immune (globes, berserk, etc.).

I guess I've mostly decided that a berserker charname is a little OP for BG1 and I probably won't do another berserker run, unless maybe as a solo (or duo or something). There aren't many fights that he can't win almost single handedly, just because not much can get through immunities + armor and damage output is high. The most troublesome enemies tended to be globed, mirrored and skinned mages, which we still weren't that great at dealing with. For some reason I only found one scroll of spell thrust, so if Edwin wasn't available to cast it, it could take forever to get through all the images and then skins (meanwhile the mage has multiple casts of mirror image). 

We had one close call with Sunil, whose sunfire killed everyone but charname (oops). I also somehow once again got lots of people killed in candlekeep catacombs. Imoen via phase spider poison and then Viconia by trap after having reduced hp due to violet potion (needed that tome). Then at the very end Khalid also got killed by phase spider poison, leaving us having to make some difficult inventory decisions.

The final fight was messy again... I think more careful buffing and faster globe dispelling would have made the difference. The plan had been to use scrolls to cast malison + chaos and then if that didn't take care of most enemies, deal with globes and go from there. I think the enemies just have very good spell saves (or I just got unlucky) as that strategy was pretty ineffective. Khalid then got killed by fireballs + inbound arrows. Edwin's clarity wore off and I didn't notice it, letting him get hit by chaos relatively early in the fight. Imoen just eventually got sniped by something or other.

For some reason I also didn't have a cloud kill scroll, which would have helped (although mostly because even in SCS the AI is frequently too dumb to get out of it). I also wasted a lot of time early in the fight trying to paralze Tazok, forgetting that he was a berserker. Immediately focusing on globes and then focusing down mages would have been better.

One of the biggest problems in the final fight is also that as my install does not have arrows of dispelling, it's more or less impossible to do anything with Sarevok other than run away from him, which tends to take a lot of attention as he is so quick. This tends to cause me to miss other stuff I need to be doing until enough people get killed I guess and the battle gets simpler. Lack of dispelling arrows also makes it much harder to take down the defenses of Sarevok's various goons.

Once those goons were dead, I tried to melee Sarevok with charname, but even with about -16 vs. slashing and Sarevok doomed he was still hitting me on ~10+ rolls, which clearly wasn't going to work. I did hit him with one remove magic early in the fight, but it either didn't do anything or he just rebuffed but in any case I never got rid of his haste or high strength (maybe strength is intrinstic).

Anyhow, throwing axe still worked and that was that.

Assuming I have another run through bg1 at some point, I'm thinking of trying a kenthief, which may be more challenging given lack of arcane or berserk.

Anyhow, on to BG2 for now.

• biowherewolf, ussnorway, Gate70 and 4 others like this

Jabberwock

Jabberwock
  • Members
  • 62 posts

Looking in EEkeeper, Semaj has death spell. Does he actually use it? That seems terrifying to a level 7 party, in particular as it says it has no save and permakills.

• CrevsDaak likes this

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

I think typically the death spell is drawn out by a character protected by a protection from magic scroll.

• Grimwald the Wise likes this

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts

Congrats Jabberwock. :)

Meanwhile Caedmon Cowherd helped the Archaeologist and the son in the lighthouse. They were ambushed several times by high experience enemies - ghasts mountain bears, carrion crawlers etc. This boosted level to 5. Then helped Samuel and Brage with the result that reputation is now 20. :) Then was ambushed by a non-hostile mountain bear.

Didn't realise that there was a winter wolf there as well. Attacking the bear made it hostile, but then the wolf joined in. Had to use healing potion. :( Eventually prevailed and duly got the 500gp reward.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Phantasmic 6 {33} - monks party (update 1)

Posting about the monks first thing this morning made me decide to give them another go.  Despite (because of) their many attempts I think their chances of getting through BG1 without anyone being killed continue to improve.  Once again they made a solid start with nobody taking any damage while they made their way to Beregost via Shoal, then on to Nashkel with the help of a lift from Brage.  Still undamaged they prised Greywolf's sword from his cold, dead hand and went to rescue Arabelle (though she didn't seem too thankful).  
Spoiler
Next for the chop was Meilum - a first use of the Wand of Sleep there helping them to get past the kobold hordes guarding him.

Still always travelling off the main roads, they obtained further reputation increases from Oublek, the Dryad of the Cloudpeaks, Drienne, Joia, Farmer Brun (just sneaking into the ankheg nest) and Firebead.  At that point Melicamp failed to survive, but there were no problems with Ardrouine and Bjornin.  Everyone got up to level 4 as a result of the latter and I decided to risk (successfully) the main roads to return Samuel to the FAI.  I had the chance to attack a couple of winter wolves in his area, but decided not to risk spoiling the undamaged record to date and just sneaked past them.

With reputation now at 20 the monks made their way to Ulgoth's Beard for some shopping.  They tried killing Tenya on the way, but despite being stunned she was able to complete her dimension door and escape before they could finish her off.  On the way back to the Nashkel Carnival to get a few more necessities they stopped off at Gullykin and invested a potion of stone giant strength to get another +1 sling and a few other goodies.

Before leaving the Carnival they decided to attack Zordral, but came a cropper there.  Rather than just shooting from the doorway I decided to try a stunning attack, but was surprised that even attacking from stealth no-one was able to get an attack in before Zordral responded with a sleep (mirror image going up by script first).  It was now impossible to get out of the tent (the entrance appeared clear, but the game seemed to be treating slept members of the party as still selected and therefore others couldn't get out either).  Several stunning blow attacks failed to stop Zordral, as did a number of stunning darts.  In the end they were lucky to get away with just losing their no-damage sequence due to a magic missile on Spectre and an acid arrow on Chimera. 
Spoiler

Chimera - L4, 25 HPs, 48 kills
Spectre - L4, 34 HPs, 53 kills, 0 deaths
Phantom - L4, 33 HPs, 28 kills, 0 deaths
Wraith - L4, 27 HPs, 29 kills, 0 deaths
Spook - L4, 32 HPs, 34 kills, 0 deaths
Spirit - L4, 25 HPs, 36 kills, 0 deaths

• biowherewolf, corey_russell, ussnorway and 3 others like this

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts

Caedmon Cowherd was doing quite well against the sirenes.

The first three were killed with no problem, though due to charm, it took some time.

Similarly the first of the next three was killed without problems despite rigid thinking.

However the second one poisoned him and because of the rigid thinking, he could neither use a potion or level up to level 6.

The result was his demise. :( In vanilla I still think that it is worth the risk as this scenario rarely happens.)

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Congrats Jabberwok!

To everyone else, I think I figured out why Misty is running away with the melee kills - she's the one using the Gauntlets of Weapon Expertise - apparently they make a big difference.

• Grond0 and CrevsDaak like this

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts

Next character is Darkstaff who is not a very nice character at all. He killed Fuller, Firebead and a watcher just because he thought that Fuller and Firebead had been stingy.

Of course, because of his low charisma they had been extremely stingy.

He used a lot of the loot to bring his reputation back up to the dizzy height of 7.

Stats:

Fighter; Male

Str 18/57 , Dex 18, Con 18, Int 10, Wis 18, Cha 3.

Experience upon leaving Candlekeep: 3361 Gold 38.

To kill Firebead he used his expertise with the bow and avoided Firebead's spells by leaving at opportune moments.

He was quite badly hurt by one of Firebead's spells, but had sufficient healing potions to recover somewhat. He had taken Deder's oil of speed potion to fight Firebead and had taken Deder's healing potion to recover from the wounds that Fuller had given him. The cleric in the training room had also cast a healing spell on him together with a bless spell with the result that he was as well as could be expected when he attacked Firebead.

After the death of Gorion he went to the FAI where he killed tarnesh and sold a diamond and a riddle. He then used most of that gold to raise his reputation to 12.

Thankfully for the Sword Coast, Firebead confused Darksword when he was attacked and afterwards killed him at his leisure.

• ussnorway and CrevsDaak like this

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts

Tried another run with Darkstaff

This time he killed the guard who was summoned when Darksword broke into a chest as well as Fuller and the guard with him and Firebead.

With the gold he was able to restore his reputation to 7 but could only afford a longbow, not having quite enough gold for the composite variety.

Experience 3576 upon leaving Candlekeep.

Raised reputation to twelve at the temple, milked Marl for all the experience he was worth, took a tome to the resurrected Firebead, headed south picking up boots of stealth, a ring from Mirianne, some armour from a flaming fist guard, some ankheg armour, and got increased reputation from Oubliek.

Killing a mountain bear raised level to four.

Then headed north where the priestess was helped before returning to Beregost where firebead was killed again. Darkstaff then went to put the loot in a barrel and returned for some arrows he had dropped. To his amazement, Firebead had been resurrected again!

He left quickly and went to the temple to raise his reputation to 12.

Returned to Firebead to kill him yet again. Hopefully he will now stay dead! This raised Darksstaff's level to 5. :)

Only had enough gold to raise reputation to 11.

Then helped Melicamp. :)

• corey_russell and CrevsDaak like this

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Russell VI the Inquisitor and his band of paladins - Update 3

Russell VI's band is level 7 now. Level 8 is very far away, however. It's unattainable unless we go deep into TotSC areas, but don't feel confident about that without thief and mage backup. So instead, will concentrate on upgrades and main story line, although if experience is big enough and safe enough, will probably do it, just to make level 8 not so far in BG 2.

The paladins do well against almost everything, except traps and basilisks. Hanna got turned to stone, but even after restoring her with a green scroll, she wouldn't talk to us and thus couldn't join - I had to do CTRL Q on her. Cloakwood was pretty straightforward - we used buffs against enemy mages, including Davaeorn.

We are in chapter 5, and just about to enter the great City of Baldur's Gate. Click spoiler button to see screenshots from our adventure.

Spoiler

• ussnorway, Grimwald the Wise and Blackraven like this

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts

Darkstaff went along the southern border of the Sword Coast, helping Rufie and the dryad as well as obtaining gauntlets of dexterity and the like.

He is beginning to like the adulation that he is getting and also the warm feelings when he helps people, so much so that he is beginning to wish that his alignment could change. perhaps it can. He has heard that there is a helm of opposite alignment available in Durlag's Tower.

He has also returned Joia's ring. He has joined up with xzar and Montaron. Montaron acquired Algernon's cloak and the party then went in search of Shoal. Droth killed Xzar and Darksword killed Droth.

They then headed for Ulgoth's Beard where Montaron acquired a hammer, a web scroll and a ring of freedom of action..

Darkstaff left Montaron in Beregost so that he could enjoy the fruits of his labour and picked up Imoen. They went south to help a cat and then helped rescue the boy in the lighthouse. Heading south, they helped the archaeologist and Brage with the result that their reputation is now 19. Fancy Darkstaff becoming a hero!

• ussnorway likes this

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Russell VI the Inquisitor and band of paladins - FINAL BG 1 Update!

The battle against the 5 ogre mages was interesting - 2/3 of the party was confused! However, the two remaining party members still got it done, and no one died.

Spoiler

I decided to give Sarevok's Acolytes on the fifth floor a fair fight - paladins weren't afraid of them. I did have a protection from magic on Russell VI, just to make sure he survived. The paladins won, but had one death.

Spoiler

For Chapter 6, we had buffed up Hanna, she drew out Prat's lightning bolts, then the party assisted - clean victory here.

Spoiler

Chapter 7 was clean - Slythe/Krystin and the greater dopplegangers, could not stand up to the paladins.

Spoiler

Maze was straightforward (a pro magic scroll used to trigger traps). Decided to something different in the Undercity. The party buffed to the max, and charged the Undercity party. We threw fireballs to open, then melee/ranged - success! But we did take some damage...

Baldr465_zpstrd2s8xt.png

Then for Sarevok, Forrest tried real hard to dispel Sarevok's buffs - it took him running/shooting until we ran back to the entrance, to our waiting party.

Baldr466_zpst64pf5kb.png

Hanna had to retreat, she was getting hit hard. Angelo started making a strong effect too - however, Sarevok too is taking good damage, so we decide to ignore the small fry and concentrate on Sarevok.

Baldr468_zpsjusbtbac.png

We took massive damage, but Sarevok falls!

Baldr467_zpsgvplxkjp.png

This is a MP party - whole party moving to Amn. Paladins only for entire trilogy.

• ussnorway, Gate70, Serg BlackStrider and 3 others like this

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts

Mistake :(

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts

Congratulations Corey. That last battle was a close run thing. :)

Darkstaff has taken Samuel to The Friendly Arms where he and Imoen picked up six cure poison potions, Khaled and Jaheira. They took them to Nashkel where they left them as they have important business there.

Meanwhile Darkstaff went near to the gnoll stronghold where they were rewarded with a pair of boots for killing a dangerous bear, and with a sword +1 for killing Neville, a dangerous bandit. They then killed Zargal and Bassilus before going shopping. Bought a staff +3 and a greenstone amulet. Imoen could do with a better bow but will have to wait a while until the party gets to Beregost.

They will be going there soon as they have just beaten Mulahey and Nimbul.

Nimbul was the one that hurt them. However what was more important was that Oublek got killed. :crying:

Once Mulahey had summoned his cohorts, Imoen used a blast from the necklace of missiles that killed most of them and disrupted Mulahey's next spell. He didn't get a second chance. :)

Neira was next and didn't even cast one spell.

Just remembered in time to return Joseph's ring to his widow.

Used oil of speed upon meeting Tazok, was then able to kill him easily. Then went to his tent and used necklace of missiles to kill all the bandits in there.

Then killed Deke et al and Tranzig and returned to the camp where they wiped out the bandits, Imoen becoming level 7 in the process. She is no pick-pocketter, and cannot lay traps, but her other skills are good apart from opening locks at 45%.

They then worked their way through Cloakwood, Darksword levelling up after defeating Centeol.

They not only beat the wyverns in the cave, but on the way to Lathander's Temple, they killed two more when ambushed.

They are now replenishing arrows, some of them being poisonous, and Imoen is at last getting a +1 bow. :)

They have just defeated Drasus and co with a combination of oil of fiery burning, necklace of missiles and back-stab.

The big question now is. Do I get some more help in the form of Minsc/Dynaheir, or do I carry on with Darkstaff/Imoen?

Hareishan did Darkstaff serious damage, but Darkstaff survived. Hareishan didn't.

Davaeorn charmed Darkstaff but didn't take the opportunity to run him through. That was a mistake!

More wyvern ambushes meant more experience.

IN BG the Seven Suns was liberated from the doppelgangers. Drelik was one of the most dangerous opponents as both Darkstaff and Imoen were panicked. Imoen was badly hurt and ran outside when back to her senses whilst Darkstaff did the dirty deed. Larze caused more problems than he should have.

They then did the fetching and carrying jobs in BG. One thing that surprised me was that when Imoen killed a commoner due to being confused by Marek, the party did NOT lose reputation. I think that in Tutu you do.

Imoen has gone up a level so stealth now 80%, Open locks 85%, Fin traps 80%. Pick Pockets 25%. Those stats look fine. I now have to ensure that she doesn't get chunked! Darkstaff is only 8000 exp away from level 8 with some easy experience to come (Well, not THAT easy) .

Jardak hurt Darkstaff very badly but not as much as he was hurt!

After killing the basilisk in BG Darkstaff reached level 8 so he is now at his maximum level for ToSC. Imoen can go up one more level.

For ease of playing the game, picking up a mage and a cleric would be a definite plus. However, I am going to see if I can get to Amn with just these two. If Imoen gets chunked I will get a replacement.

EDIT

Made a big mistake in not picking up a potion of mirrored eyes to deal with the basilisks underneath Candlekeep.

Had to use potion of invisibility and sneak past them.

Killed all of Prat's group except Prat. He went into an area where he wasn't a problem, so I decided to forget about him. Of course that means no throwing axe +2, but that isn't a major problem.

EDIT

Then went to plunder the cave where the constitution tome is held. Kicked myself for not picking up the potion of clarity at Candlekeep. Discovered that acid arrows are very effective against sirene. It was only the last one that managed to charm Darkstaff. As a result he killed Imoen. :( Darkstaff then cleared the way to the chest and put Imoen's belongings in there. Collected the tome and a few items. Went to the temple and identified three tomes.

Darkstaff's stats now stand at Str 19, Dex 19, Con 19, Int 11, Wis 21, Cha 4. Exp 161000.

No more tomes to come, so those will be his stats if he makes it to Amn.

Will now raise Imoen, dump excess baggage at Beregost and collect Imoen's belongings from the cave.

EDIT

It cost 10,000 gold pieces to raise Imoen. :( Not that gold is a problem at present. By the time Darkstaff left the area, Imoen was level 10 and nearly at the level cap.

In BG, Imoen rescued Duke Elthan using stealth plus a strength potion to carry him.

The Iron fist were largely defeated by using necklace of missiles, brute strength and the occasional backstab by Imoen.

Slythe was defeated by use of call on holy might plus pure fighting ability. Dark Sword did have to rest afterwards though.

Kirsten did herself and Darkstaff damage with lightning bolt. Brute strength plus poison arrows from Imoen also helped.

Now time for the duchal palace. Darkstaff went in buffed with a strength potion and DUHM. Imoen followed up with the wand of sleep. Once the doppelgangers were asleep, Darkstaff used cure light wounds on the dukes before finishing off the doppelgangers.

• corey_russell, ussnorway and CrevsDaak like this

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts

Darkstaff started the final battle by talking to Sarevok and once out of sight using a potion of invisibility.

Semaj teleported to near the door so Darkstaff moved to near Imoen in the near left corner. Darkstaff used acid arrows whilst Imoen used arrows of dispelling. Once the buffs were gone, Darkstaff moved in with his staff and it was soon over.

Imoen then used stealth to investigate where the enemy were located. She discovered that there was a stinking cloud active, so she moved out of sight of Sarevok awaiting the end of the spell. She then took a few potions to increase her backstabbing chances.

It was then just a matter of time, except that Darkstaff dual classed to a cleric. Annoyed that he didn't pick up the pantaloons. :(

It was then just a matter of time. Sarevok did get in a couple of blows, but it was too little too late.

I still have to re-install SoA. The vanilla just needed copying, but I have the mods to install.

This is the first time that I have completed an evil run. Like CKT, I prefer to play good characters.

I am just hoping that Darkstaff can find redemption. :)

• corey_russell, ussnorway and Aasim like this

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Congrats Wise! Best of luck in Amn. Hopefully, you won't be courting death like Russell VI was doing.

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts

Congrats Wise! Best of luck in Amn. Hopefully, you won't be courting death like Russell VI was doing.

Thanks. You may well finish your stint in Amn before I start mine as it will probably take days to install my mods.

Hopefully, this time I won't have as many bugs.

Blackraven

Blackraven
  • Members
  • 1,377 posts

Well done Wise! Hope you get your mods sorted out soon, so you can move on to Amn.

Gerland of Candlekeep, NG Half-Elf Skald, 1st BG1 report

The Skald is one of my favorite classes/kits. Some of you might have guessed this: I think Gerland is my 4th Skald to enter the no-reload challenge. Unlike my previous Skalds though, Gerland's Skald kit is not the Rogue Rebalancing version of the kit. I created him with two components of the Might & Guile mod installed, namely (1) Revised Bard Kits, which gives Skalds one fewer spell per level in exchange for improved combat prowess, and (2) Revised Stat Bonuses, which spreads the stat bonuses for most abilities over a larger range of stats. E.g. it significantly boosts Intelligence with an extra level 1 spell slot for 13 Int, an extra level 2 spell slot for 14 Int, etc. The value of Charisma is boosted as well: the higher it is, the better one's saves/luck.
However, after two or three level-ups and some experimenting with EEKeeper and Ctrl-Q I uninstalled said components. First of all because I realized that possibly due to installing M&G after SCS, enemy wizards did indeed get high Int bonus spell slots but they didn't have any memorized spells in them. This seemed unfair to me. Also, I expected my Skald's high Int to nullify the one fewer spell per level penalty, but some testing (raising XP) in EEKeeper showed me he got fewer spells than a vanilla Skald would. 
To make a long story short, Gerland is a vanilla Skald, albeit capable of mastering weapon styles (like all rogues thanks to Rogue Rebalancing), with the possibility of casting up to level 8 spells (Rogue Rebalancing PnP spell progression for Bards), and with an illegal 19 Cha at character creation. This supernatural Cha score is thanks to the fact that I created Gerland using the aforementioned Might & Guile stats revision component, which allows Half-Elves to have 19 natural Cha.

Here's a character creation screen shot (as often, I forgot to take a starting screenshot).

Spoiler
Got an amazing 99 roll. Still waiting to break 100 though... :) Starting profs were Axes and Warhammers.
Mods are my usual stuff: BG2 Fixpack including Free Action protects against Stun, Song & Silence, Rogue Rebalancing without kit revisions, SCS with full enemy prebuffs, aTweaks, and some BG2 Tweaks including max HPs for enemies (I'm maxing Charname's HPs and those of his companions as well, as I generally like a level playing field). 

Gerland is NG with LG tendencies, but open-minded enough to get along with CG folk. Goodness is what matters most to him. He's as knightly as any Bard can be: honest, courteous, and valiant. Skalds aren't generally the most lettered of Bards, but Gerland is an exception thanks to his upbringing by Gorion and the Candlekeep Monks. What follows are excerpts from his diary.

2 Mirtul, 1368
Nothing seems to be going as it should be. Her sullenness tells me that Imoen is still devastated by Gorion's death, much like myself to be honest, and now we haven't even been able to enter the Friendly Arm Inn to meet Gorion's friends Khalid and Jaheira. Ill-equipped for battle, we barely managed to escape the fangs of hungry Wolves and Dire Wolves in the lands south of the Inn. That didn't help us much, for at the entrance to the Inn we were accosted by a black-robed, bloodthirsty wizard, another mysterious bounty hunter like the two I slew in Candlekeep I suspect.

Spoiler
We found refuge in the sanctity of Gellana Mirrorshade's Temple of Garl Glittergold, and left the premises under the cover of night.

5 Mirtul, 1368
Beregost is a friendly place. Imoen and I have spent some time with old Firebead, we befriended a man who had recently lost his son, and we've completed a couple of relatively simple jobs for some of the locals.

8 Mirtul, 1368
We've traveled further south, to Nashkel, but this place is a lot smaller than Beregost, and doesn't seem to offer as many job opportunities, even though an Amnian soldier by the name of Bardolan told us that his captain, a man named Brage, had gone missing without a trace after killing several people.

12 Mirtul, 1368
Life on the road isn't always comfortable for both Imoen and me, used as we are to Candlekeep, our home, but it isn't boring either. Far to the west of Nashkel we saved a historian whose own men turned against him at an excavation site, and we actually found Captain Brage, reasoned with him, and escorted him back to Nashkel. The poor man had picked up a cursed sword that had made him go berserk.

16 Mirtul, 1368
Imoen and I have a new comrade in arms, an Elven Archer by the name of Kivan. He helped us out near Thalantyr the Conjurer's High Hedge west of Beregost when we were under attack of Gnolls. Kivan is a skilled marksman and, it seems, a good man. He has been roaming the wilds much like Imoen and I, albeit with more of a purpose than the two of us: to kill bandits. His main quarry is an Ogrish figure named Tazok, his torturer and the murderer of his mate Deheriana.

24 Mirtul, 1368
Our Elven companion is not much of talker, though he does seem increasingly willing to put his trust in me. He's told me a bit more about his family and about the terrible fate he and Deheriana suffered at the hands of Tazok. He has also been our guide and tutor in the wilds. He's led us through the Cloudpeaks where we fought monsters (mostly Gnolls) and wild animals. We stayed out of sight of hunting parties though, after my axe broke in a fight with a Gnoll. We pushed further west, as I still had my throwing axes, until we came upon a Gnoll Fortress.

Spoiler
We didn't invade the stronghold (yet), but we did take some loot from a nearby cave guaded by Xvarts. We're now preparing for our journey back to civilization. Hopefully I can find a decent, preferably enchanted axe somewhere.

27 Mirtul, 1368
On our way back to Beregost we rescued a wizard named Melicamp who had somehow, unwillingly, polymorphed into a rooster, from an attacking wolf. He asked us to bring him to his master, Thalantyr. The latter successfully retransformed Melicamp, an impressive feat. He also gave Kivan an enchanted spear, for previous services provided. I purchased two Ioun Stones, a purple one for Imoen to enjoy infravision, and a 'Fragment of Enlightenment' that increased my lore. At Feldepost's Inn I bought a Battle Axe +1. Hopefully it'll last a bit longer than my last axe.

3 Kythorn, 1368
On our second incursion into the Cloudpeaks we were a bit more thorough, and we didn't shun confrontations with hostile creatures, mostly hunters and brigands. Two particularly insolent bandits, Vax and Zal, gave Kivan and me a hard time.

Spoiler
Still, we prevailed, earning ourselves a pair of Bracers of Achery.

8 Kythorn, 1368
We finally made it to the Friendly Arm Inn. Our trip north was relatively uneventful. Worth mentioning are our dispatching of an Ogre that dropped the girdle Elves' Bane, and the fact that our party has grown into a party of four. A few hours north of the Inn we met a young man named Ajantis, a squire paladin of Helm, who like the rest of us, had made it his business to make the Sword Coast a safer place. I was pleased to have a virtuous man like Ajantis join our ranks. 
At the entrance to the FAI we were surprised to find the black-robed wizard still there, or maybe he had just returned. At any rate, we confronted him. He put Ajantis to Sleep, but Imoen saved vs a Horror, and he had no answer to Imoen's, Kivan's and my salvo of arrows and axes.

Spoiler
Imoen picked up the wizard's spellbook. She's now studying it. It's clear to me she wants to become a Mage even though she hasn't told me this explicitly. I learned a couple of spells from Gorion and I've picked up a few more on the road, but I doubt I'd be a good tutor for her. We'll have to see what fortune favors. We might meet an adventuring Mage somewhere, willing to join us and instruct Imoen in the arcane arts.
Inside the FAI we met Khalid and Jaheira, a Fighter and a warrior Druid. I'm sure they're well-meaning folk, but after four tendays on the road, surviving dangerous encounters with wizards, bandits, monsters, and wild animals, and with two competent warriors by my side as well as trusty old Imoen, we all understood that there was no real need for their guardianship anymore. We parted amicably.

12 Kythorn, 1368
Some days pass by with hardly anything happening. The party may be enjoying the comfort on an inn or the entertainment of the Nashkel Carnival. The past 24 hours have not been like that. East of Beregost, we encountered what seemed to be at first glance a perfect statue of a priestess. Upon closer inspection we found that the woman had been petrified. Unfortunately we had no Stone to Flesh scrolls, but we were warned. We bought a Protection from Petrification scroll at the Nashkel Carnival and indeed found a lounge of Basilisks twelve hours east of Beregost.
Kivan cast Protection from Petrification on himself and I went invisible (a spell I had recently learned) to encourage the Elf with my song unseen. The Archer had no trouble dispatching most of the giant lizards, and we had a somehow Dire Charmed Ghoul paralyze a Gnomish wizard, the master of the Basilisks,

Spoiler
as well as the largest of the Basilisks. I slew the creature with my throwing axes.
In the same area we met a hunting party that unlike others hadn't been turned to stone yet, much to my surprise. Instead of thanking us for our efforts against the Basilisks, they picked a fight wit us. We retreated and found that only their leader, a female battlemage came for us. Ajantis and Kivan made short work of her after she failed to Dire Charm highly charm-resistant Kivan.
Spoiler
Two of the female's warrior companions suffered the same fate, discovering Kivan's brutal bow skills.
Spoiler
Their last man standing was a bit trickier for he was a spell caster, a Cleric. When he started casting Hold Person, we retreated to make him waste his spell. We fanned out and then initiated a joint attack, preventing the priest from casting any more spells before he fell.
Spoiler

• ussnorway and Serg BlackStrider like this

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Best of luck Blackraven! Hopefully your skald makes it farther than Corthief VIII!

Blackraven

Blackraven
  • Members
  • 1,377 posts

Thanks Corey, I'm enjoying this run a lot, so I'm also hoping it's going to last for a good while. I often lack the patience for playing parties, but this has been good fun so far.

Gerland of Candlekeep, NG Half-Elf Skald, 2nd BG1 report

16 Kythorn, 1368
Ajantis, a Cavalier Paladin and a very strict follower of his deity's ethos, has expressed his satisfaction with our party's conduct, even though Kivan, Imoen and I are of somewhat more flexible morality. He's also pleased with our combat prowess. After our successful campaign against the Basilisks and the battle against the quarrelsome hunters, he told of us an Ankheg infestation north of the FAI, near the place where we first met. He warned us of the creatures' acid spit but considered us ready to deal with the monsters. He was not mistaken. With Ajantis in the front, Kivan and Imoen in the back with their bows, and me chanting and launching the occasional axe we cleared the area without difficulty. The Ankheg hoard held some impressive loot.
For a girl priestess we procured a ritual bowl of Umberlee from three fishermen that had killed her mother.

20 Kythorn, 1368
A bout of nostalgia made Imoen long to behold the sea again, as the two of us used to do on the walls of Candlekeep. I find it hard to say no to whatever the lass proposes. She's my dearest friend, almost a sister to me really. Anyway, we had no urgent business requiring our attention, so there was no reason for KIvan, Ajantis and me not to humor Imoen. 
Along the shores I, invisible, scouted small groups of Sirines, treacherous creatures. I reported back to Kivan. Being an Elf, and one who still mourning the loss of his beloved Deheriana, he was least likely to fall victim to the Sirines' charms. Indeed, inspired by my battlesong, he had no trouble dispatching the creatures,

Spoiler
clearing the way toward a cave they had seemed to be guarding. The cave was heavily trapped, but nimble Imoen deftly disarmed all the traps. There were also three Flesh Golems, suggesting there was treasure somewhere. We battled the constructs, and with difficulty (Ajantis suffered many a blow), destroyed them.
Spoiler
We were rewarded generously, for we found a treasure chest in a pool of water, containing several enchanted items and alchemical brews. A magical tome I read increased my physical fitness.

25 Kythorn, 1368

On the north coast we encountered a perfidious Nereid that seemingly killed and later raised Imoen, and her improbable mate, an evil Ogre Mage that attacked uson sight. Having studied some basic magic myself, and read about advanced magic, I'm uneasy facing hostile Mages of any type. Thankfully, Kivan understood the peril of the situation. Instead of his normal unenchanted arrows, he pelted the Ogre Mage with some of his arrows of biting. They poisoned our enemy effectively neutralizing the danger of spells.

Spoiler
The Ogre Mage dropped a Helmet of Defense, a worthy prize for Kivan, for pretty much single-handedly felling the creature.
In the same area we also killed a band of Ogres, Half-Ogres and Ogrillons, and we defended a Seasnake and an Elf against three Sahuagin. [The latter encounter is content of the BG1 NPC Pack. Unfortunately the Seasnake died after inadvertently blocking our path to the Sahuagin, preventing the game from placing a returning throwing dagger, an excellent missile weapon for Cavalier Ajantis, in the shipwreck.]

6 Flamerule, 1368
In the Halfling village of Gullykin, which was to be our base from which to explore the notorious Firewine Ruins and Durlag's Tower, a new companion, a Halfling Swashbuckler named Alora, joined us. Alora made it clear to us that she was a seasoned adventurer, skilled with locks and with setting and disarming snares. However she didn't come very well-equipped for adventure, so we postponed our visits to Firewine and Durlag's Tower. We acquired a Deep Red Ioun Stone for her, from Thalantyr, that increased her dexterity, and we traveled to the southern coastlands with her.
We dispatched three Amnian troublemakers in the Cloudpeaks.

Spoiler
Their leader, a warrioress, wore a suit of enchanted studded leather armor. It now protects Alora little torso.
Further west we routed a Xvart village, showing the devious creatures no mercy. We also saved a nobleman from an attacking Polar Bear, defeated a bandit named Neville and helped a Paladin of Helm reduce the local Gibberling population.

10 Flamerule, 1368
We returned to Beregost, where we bought Ajantis a suit of full plate mail, and he in turn tipped us about a store in Ulgoth's Beard where we might encounter some useful goods. (As a Waterdhavian, Ajantis had traveled the lands north of Baldur's Gate.) We bought Alora a returning frost dart there, and a Greenstone Amulet for all of us to use.
Southwest of Beregost we tracked down Bassilus the killer, a priest of Cyric with a hefty price on his head (5000 GP), at a ritual site in the Red Canyons. I failed to paralyze him with a wand, and Bassilus failed to Hold Ajantis.

Spoiler
The priest's subsequent attempts at spell casting were consistently thwarted by Kivan's and Alora's missiles,
Spoiler
before I finished him off with a throwing axe.
Spoiler
I took his war hammer, Ashideena, a glorious weapon. And we also picked up his holy symbol.
Near the ritual site we ran into three Hobgoblins that made the mistake of attacking us. We slew them, and took an enchanted short sword from their leader.

• ussnorway, Gate70, Serg BlackStrider and 1 other like this

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

@Blackraven - I'm glad to hear your enjoying your new run. Perhaps that is a good sign for the run's future. If you are having fun, you'll be no doubt more focused than if you were bored.

• Blackraven likes this

Blackraven

Blackraven
  • Members
  • 1,377 posts

If you are having fun, you'll be no doubt more focused than if you were bored.

Very true! Surely the same must apply to your Paladins.

It's strange that such involvement with my characters isn't a given, and that I can't create it at will.

Gerland of Candlekeep, NG Half-Elf Skald, 3rd BG1 report

13 Flamerule, 1368
Our band seems to have earned itself a certain prestige. Not only have I seen store owners like Thalantyr (who sold me the Claw of Kazgaroth at a bargain price) and Taerom Fuiruim lower their prices, we also seem to attract more and more fellow adventurers that wish to associate themselves with us. First there was Neera in Beregost, a Wild Mage whom we helped against a group of Thayan wizards and bodyguards that sought to capture her.

Spoiler
Imoen seemed understandably eager to welcome a Mage into our group, but Ajantis, Kivan and I were less enthusiastic what with wild magic being extremely unreliable and all. We agreed with Neera to meet up later at the FAI.
Also in Beregost, we slew another bounty hunter, a Dwarf named Karlat. Finding a bounty notice on the Dwarf's corpse surprised Ajantis a lot, but he was understanding when I explained to him that I honestly had no idea who wanted me dead or why.
Spoiler
It's good to know Ajantis (and the others) trust me.
A second adventuring type that wished to join our party was a Half-Orc Blackguard, Dorn. We fought together against a band of marauders south of Nashkel, but we declined his proposal to join forces.
A few hours further to the south we reached the Nashkel Mines area where we stopped a ruthless bounty hunter from taking wanted sculptor Prism's life (for a simple theft of two gems), only to see the artist collapse lifeless on the ground.
We're back in Nashkel now and have just slain what must have been the fifth or sixth bounty hunter that has come for me, and we've also accepted a Ranger into our party, a scatterbrained giant of a man by the name of Minsc. His need seems urgent. He told us that the lady he's supposed to protect, has been taken hostage by Gnolls in the lands west of Nashkel. Kivan, Imoen and I know all about the Gnoll Stronghold, so we're going there straight away.

16 Flamerule, 1368
Our campaign against the Gnolls has been a resounding success. We slew each and every Gnoll that inhabited the fortress,
Spoiler
and thankfully we arrived in time to rescue Minsc's lady, a mage and a mystic [Half-Elf Cleric/Invoker in this playthrough] from the same foreign land as Minsc, Rashemen. Lady Dynaheir was so grateful that she was not only willing to travel with us but also to instruct Imoen in the arcane arts should she consider Imoen worthy, even after we told the two that we had no room for Minsc. (In reality, we had been impressed with Minsc's fighting skills, but he had also shown himself prone to entering in frenzy-like states in which he proved as dangerous to the party as he was to our enemies. Our adventuring party is consistently exposed to all manner of perils as it is. Sadly I see no place in our band for such a volatile sort as Minsc.)

24 Flamerule, 1368
We returned to Beregost with Dynaheir, bought her an enchanted sling and gave her a powerful mace that Imoen had found somewhere. We also gave her two potions (mind focusing and genius) that allowed her to copy several spells from scrolls into her spellbook. Thus prepared we set out to do what we had long intended to do: explore the Firewine Ruins and Durlag's Tower.
We started with the tower. A narrow bridge that led toward the tower was guarded by two Battle Horrors. We took them on one at a time, with Ajantis and Kivan doing melee duty, Imoen and Alora attacking from a distance, and myself inspiring the others through my song and throwing an axe every now and then.
Spoiler
We slew another Battle Horror as well as a Doomguard, and when we took a break from battle, Dynaheir expressed her willingness to teach Imoen magic. [Imoen dual-classed upon reaching level 7, as per canon. Since I had her kitted as an Adventurer, she had a few more skill points than she would have had as a normal Thief, at the cost of a non-increasing x1 backstab modifier.]
Inside the majestic tower we cleared the upper levels, defeating several powerful foes. A spell casting spectre only fell thanks to Alora's traps,
Spoiler
and if it weren't for Kivan's mastery of the longbow I doubt that we'd have been able to slay Kirinhale, a demoness no less.
Spoiler
The upper levels also harbored numerous Ghasts and two roof terraces with four Basilisks. As I knew the spell Protection from Petrification, I protected Kivan so that he could get rid of the Basilisks. After that Ajantis, Kivan, Alora and I took care of the Ghasts while Imoen was taking her first magic classes with Dynaheir.
Spoiler
Alora managed to disarm most if not all traps, so we left the place with our backpacks filled with loot. I read an enlightening tome, and we found a Cloak of Protection +1 that we kept. Most of the loot we sold though, allowing us the purchase of a Robe of the Good Archmagi for Dynaheir. There was more treasure to be found on the lower levels, but a wounded thief in the basement suggested that those levels were far more dangerous than the upper levels we had visited.

28 Flamerule, 1368
Our trip to the Firewine Ruins was an interesting one. The plains that stretch from Nashkel to the ruins were inhabited by bandits, both (demi-)human and monstrous ones. We spared none. Dynaheir cleverly cast a Stinking Cloud on a band of Xvarts that were attacking a farmer's cow. Most of the Xvarts passed out, allowing us to finish the Xvarts with ranged attacks before they could seriously injure the cow. Near the bridge Kivan felled a competent duelist who dropped a pair of Gauntlets of Weapon Expertise.
The ruins themselves were infested with Kobolds, harmless critters individually, although their Commando troops were not to be underestimated with their fire arrows.
Further in the labyrinth of corridors we ran into a Human wizard who had been in charge of the Kobolds. We retreated but not quick enough to prevent him from launching two Minor Sequencered Chromatic Orbs at me. I quaffed a potion of magic blocking, apprehensive of the orbs' unpredictable effects. Alora returned, hidden in shadows, to look for the wizard. She found him soon enough and had Dynaheir cast Silence 15' Radius at him from out of sight. That spell shut him up, and allowed us to finish our foe at minimal risk.
Spoiler
The clamor of battle alarmed the wizard's partner, an Ogre Mage. With a Glitterdust it Blinded pretty much all of us except Imoen, whose casting of Spook made the monster shrink back in fear.
Spoiler
When we regained our sight, and the Ogre Mage its senses, Dynaheir Commanded the creature to sleep. We failed to kill the monster there and then. It awoke and injured Dynaheir with a Magic Missile, but she then felled our foe with the same spell.
We left the ruins via a tunnel that led to Gullykin. Apparently the wizards and their Kobold minions had been planning a raid on the village. Town elder Gandolar Luckyfoot thanked us for our intervention with 250 GP.
By the way Dynaheir seems to be taking some kind of interest in me. It's almost as if she knows me, or knows things about me that I myself don't even know. She also considers me capable of somehow preventing the imminent war with Amn.
Spoiler
Personally I can't see how I'm supposed to do that.

• corey_russell, ussnorway, Serg BlackStrider and 1 other like this

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts

@Blackraven

I have BG1 NPC project installed in my Tutu set-up and have never come across the sea snake that you mentioned.

Where is it found?