Baldur's Gate 1 No-Reload Challenge

• Please log in to reply
16394 replies to this topic

vbigiani

vbigiani
  • Members
  • 42 posts
Jane Shepard in Baldur's Gate - run 3 - update 1
After clearing the Lion's Way, the party headed south to High Edge, where a nice critical avenged Jane #1...
Spoiler

Three potions of Mirror Gaze were bought. The party immediately headed East to Mutamin's Garden, where two of said potions (plus Imoen's potion of Speed) were used to partially map out the area (not touching Mutamin, Korax or Kirian yet, and I'm sure I didn't kill all Basilisks either). This got everybody from level 1 to almost level 3:
Spoiler

Doing combat-free quests in Beregost (Karlat and Silke still live) and clearing the FAI and the areas South and North of Beregost (and avenging Jane #2) got everyone to Level 3:
Spoiler

After selling a ring found in a rock, the party did some shopping: +1 Large Shield for Wrex, Crossbow of Speed for Tali, +1 Composite Long Bow for Garrus. Thus equipped, the party dealt with Karlat, the Spiders and Silke (who managed to charm Jane, fortunately she just stood around looking pretty while charmed).

Heading down to Nashkell on the main roads, exploring the Southern Trade Coast showed a Vampiric Wolf - leading to us running to the nearest exit, since the party didn't have a single weapon that could hurt him. While mapping out the area... Hey, I never knew this cave was here - let's head inside, what's the worse that could happen? Goblins with Arrows of Biting, it seems.
Spoiler

In Nashkell, Neira wrongly assumed that casting Hold Person at Liara (an Elf) or Wrex (a Berzerker) was a good idea, paying with her life for her tactical blunder. The rest of the city was explored without problems. Moving on to the Carnival, Vitiare was succesfully shot down, while Zordal was rushed before he could cast a spell (but not before Bentha fell to the magic word...). The rest of the Carnival was, too, explored without problems.
Spoiler

• ussnorway, Serg BlackStrider, Grimwald the Wise and 2 others like this

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts

Yep, Only 7?

I open with what is now my standard 'Clouldkill' scroll and retreat back to the door, Sarevok charges into my peons with reckless abandon then I throw a 'Greater Malison' and Shar-teel hits with her Dispel arrows… Viconia steps up to 'Chant' and it is game over!

p.s gratz Blackraven.

Yes ONLY 7. In my game the accidental killing of ONE FAI guard cost 10 in rep.

However congrats on a great run. :)

EDIT

Lady Firehair's reputation is back at 20 after doing most of the Baldur's Gate quests plus a few from outside the gate. It is coming up time to go to Candlekeep.

• Blackraven and CrevsDaak like this

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

The amount of reputation you lose is a sliding scale depending on what your reputation is to start with - if it's at 20 then you will always lose 10 for killing an innocent.

• Grimwald the Wise likes this

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts

The amount of reputation you lose is a sliding scale depending on what your reputation is to start with - if it's at 20 then you will always lose 10 for killing an innocent.

I was aware that there was a sliding scale for loss of rep, but thought that you lost more for killing some than for killing others.

When my evil character went on a killing spree in Candlekeep he only lost 2 for killing a watcher. The gold that he got for selling the armour was enough to regain his reputation. :devil:

vbigiani

vbigiani
  • Members
  • 42 posts
Jane Shepard in Baldur's Gate - run 3 - update 2
The party continued to clear the easier areas. Lonely Peaks were done without issue; the trip to the FAI to return Samuel's (and the spiders') body resulted in a Bandit ambush, which I decided to ignore...
Spoiler

Clearing Fishermen's Lake then brought Jane and Wrex to level 4. Liara also continues getting hit by the big hits.
Spoiler

Clearing the Xvarts' village was uneventful (Borda was spared, since we didn't need anything from his body). This got Liara, Garrus and Tali their 4th level:
Spoiler

Helping Charleston Nib in the Caves of Kozah gave Jane a nice big scare... Kozah himself was left for later.
Spoiler

The session ended after returning Brage to the Temple of Helm and buying an Ioun Stone for Jane's head (said stone will be shared with Tali every time she's on Identification duty).
  • ussnorway, Blackraven and CrevsDaak like this

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts

Congrats ussnorway and Blackraven.

& welcome vbigiani

• Blackraven likes this

Charlestonian Knight Templar

Charlestonian Knight Templar
  • Members
  • 981 posts

Still reading Le Mort D'Arthur, preparing for my next run.  Learning lots about the chivalry and honor of many of the Knights of the Round Table.  It will change my next run to the extent that I will always honor a request for mercy (unless it then later followed by treachery).  There will be know taking items from homes unless they were the homes of evil men or creatures we destroyed.  Ladies will always be treated with the utmost courtesy (unless of course they attack) but discourse will always be civil and kind, even if they offer insult.  Lots more to read so I'm sure there is more to come as I learn more about the knights, wizards and characters.  Heck, I should have read this first b/c I'd have played Gawain somewhat/much differently.  A must read for anyone who enjoys the 'roleplaying' aspect of the game and who wished to play a Arthurian hero/villain. 

In the meantime, I'm trying to 'reload' BG after having uninstalled it.  I think I 'deleted' a file/folder needed to uninstall.  Now, when I try to 'load' BG anew, I get the start screen with the 'uninstall' option rather than the 'install' option.  I've used IObit uninstaller to try and find every possible thing hidden in my computer but still no dice.  Anyone have any ideas?  Thanks, CKT

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts

In the meantime, I'm trying to 'reload' BG after having uninstalled it.  I think I 'deleted' a file/folder needed to uninstall.  Now, when I try to 'load' BG anew, I get the start screen with the 'uninstall' option rather than the 'install' option.  I've used IObit uninstaller to try and find every possible thing hidden in my computer but still no dice.  Anyone have any ideas?  Thanks, CKT

I had that problem and had to use Windows add/remove programs.

Hope that helps.

EDIT

lady Firehair's party sped through Candlekeep.

The ogre mages outside were largely neutralised by web.

The only major problem was again Prat's lightning bolt. At least on this occasion he was killed by it. Sadly so was Gavin who had just learned how to raise dead. Raising him was expensive, but raising him was money well-spent in Lady Firehair's lovelorn eyes. :)

They fought Davenport just south of the Friendly Arms Inn. He and his party were never a major threat, though Lady Firehair was badly hurt and had to be healed at the FAI.

They are now fighting their way through the section guards in their HQ in Beregost. They are accumulating both experience and equipment, though the equipment is currently no better than that which they are using, it will provide a large amount of gold if it is sold.

• ussnorway and Blackraven like this

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Coremage and gang (Khalid, Jaheira, Imoen, Shar-teel) are continuing to make progress. The party is mostly level 5. Mulahey, Nimbul and Tranzig have all been defeated. Gold is tight, and we still have some huge purchases coming up (Robe of good arch magi, Kazagarath's Claw, etc), but we will keep at it.

• ussnorway, Grimwald the Wise, Blackraven and 1 other like this

Flamedance

Flamedance
  • Members
  • 370 posts

@CKT

Probably traces left in your registry. If nothing else works, you might have to use Regcleaner to manually remove those traces.

• Grimwald the Wise likes this

Enuhal

Enuhal
  • Members
  • 363 posts

Hey everyone!

I am back, and I'm rejoining the no-reload challenge with a gnomish cleric/illusionist called Sahal. He is lawful good, proficient with slings and war hammers. Here you can see his stats, with a shield equipped and a familiar already summoned - a pretty nice roll, I think. For spells, he will focus on crowd control, healing and defensive utility - things like sleep, command, remove fear and cure light wounds, the usual stuff.

For the first couple of areas, I will keep the pseudo dragon familiar around - his ability to put enemies to sleep on hit is very useful early on, though using him is a little bit risky in case of critical hits, so I will have to be extra careful. The planned party is Sahal, Imoen, Jaheira and Khalid, though plans may still change.

My setup is simple: The BG2 Fixpack and BGT, playing on core rules.

Anyway, I just started playing a bit and completed the Candlekeep quests, picked up Imoen, Montaron, Xzar and (more importantly) the Ring of Wizardry. As is a tradition in my playthroughs, I had Montaron backstab Tarnesh. The evil duo was quickly dismissed, and Khalid and Jaheira were added to the party. Quickly did Joia's quest before travelling south towards Beregost.

Enuhal

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts

@CKT

If you are still having problems after following the advice of Flamedance, you could try installing in a slightly different place where there will be no traces left in your registry.

Enuhal

Enuhal
  • Members
  • 363 posts

Sahal, gnomish cleric/Illusionist, update 1

In Beregost, Sahal calmed Marl, gave a book to Firebead, accepted a couple of quest and killed Karlat via command.

It might be a bit early to kill Silke, considering she can cast lightning bolt, but with the pseudo dragon, command and the wand of magic missles, I was confident I could interrupt her spellcasting - and I was right. With a sleep spell ready, Sahal also cleared Landrin's home of any

spiders before turning in this quest at FAI. Oh, and I forgot to mention that I killed the ogre for the Girdle of Piercing and obtained the Ring of Protection +1 north of Beregost.

Next, the party travelled towards Nashkell. Sahal found Mirianne's letter and Zhurlong's Boots, but ran into his first bit of trouble while exploring the area north of Nashkell: The (out of spells) party encountered, among other monsters, a hobgoblin elite, and Imoen was poisoned and killed by its arrows. In the ensuing fight, the familiar was heavily wounded and had to retreat, and due to a series of bad luck, Khalid was killed as well before Sahal and Jaheira managed to finally take down the elite and its allies. Luckily, no permanent deaths, and Sahal carried all the important equipment to the Nashkel temple, where both dead party members were resurrected. I stopped using Sahals familiar in battle after this encounter, by the way.

After taking the free ankheg plate mail, resting and healing up, the party, buffed with bless and remove fear, entered the Nashkel Inn. Sahal commanded Neira, and the bounty hunter quickly fell. Sahal also talked to Berrun, Noober and Oublek, raising his reputation.

Next, I started exploring some of the surrounding areas: Northwest of Nashkel, the group encountered Drizzt, Bjornin's half ogres and Teyngan and his gang. At the carnival, Zordral was slain. Sahal fought his way through the Xvart Village, killed a mountain bear for Jared (new boots for Khalid, will be useful against winter wolves) and fought all the inhabitants of the Gnoll Fortress, mainly with the help of sleep spells. Also obtained the charisma tome (for Imoen - usually, I tend to give the pc all the tomes, but increasing Sahal's charisma from 3 to 4 seems completely irrelevant). Instead of just travelling back to Nashkel, Sahal met up with Brage and used the automatic travel option to return.

After selling and buying lots of things, Sahal explored the area northeast of Nashkel, killing Arghain, Ioin's group, some ogres for Sarhedra and saving Hulrik's cow via sleep spell. The Cloudpeak Mountains were next, and the party helped Albert, Drienne and the Dryad, but killed Sendai, Vax and Caldo plus their allies.

Eventually, the Sahal returned to the area north of Gnoll Fortress to slay more ogres and help Laurel. He also helped Charleston further north. All this provided Khalid with enough money to buy a full plate in Beregost.

Next, I decided to obtain some new weapons for my party: Sleep to defeat Zargal and his friends, bless, chant and the right dialogue options to kill Bassilus (Khalid used a potion of hill giant strength here). I brought Melicamp to High Hedge, but sadly, he died. Sahal returned Perdue's short sword, though. Near the mines, Sahal helped Prism to get Greywolf's sword (the bounty hunter was commanded), and even further east, a ring of fire resistance was found. The gnomish cleric/illusionist carried Samuel's body back to FAI.

With most chapter 2 areas except for the sword coast, everything north of FAI and the more difficult eastern regions (the mine exit area, Ulcaster, Gullykin, Firewine Bridge, basilisks and red wizards) explored, Sahal felt ready to enter the Mines of Nashkel. Khalid was well protected against piercing weapons, so the kobolds provided no challenge, and Imoen disarmed all of the traps. Sahal quickly made his way to the final level, where he buffed and quickly entered Mulahey's cave - the evil cleric was somehow trapped by his sleeping allies and quickly slain (Boots of Grounding and a new ring for Sahal). The party returned to Nashkell, rested, returned Joseph's ring, spoke to the Mayor and killed an easily defeated Nimbul.

So far, so good. The earlier trouble with the hobgoblin elite was annoying, but Sahal himself wasn't in real danger. All of the other encounters went quite well. As usual, I equipped Khalid with all the best ac-improving gear, especially against arrows - the others are simply using their ranged weapons and spells to support the fighter and interrupt casters. Sahal recently learned how to summon skeletons (which will be very useful), poison hopefully won't be a problem with all the level 2 cleric/druid spells available anymore. I'm also using chant and hold person for the tougher encounters. For level 2 mage spell, Sahal only has resist fear (allowing him to change his level 1 cleric spells to more command, bless and healing spells, since remove fear is no longer needed) - though I will buy a mirror image scroll, soon.

Enuhal

• ussnorway, Serg BlackStrider, Blackraven and 2 others like this

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts

Lady Firehair and the party had no problem defeating the section or any of the tasks upon returning to BG.

Even the Ducal Palace was straightforward.

However the final battle was far from straightforward as Diarmid was not affected by Imoen's arrows of dispelling, neither would he follow her to where the others could fight him without attracting the attention of Sarevok. 

Spoiler

In the end it was necessary to draw Sarevok to follow Lady Firehair into another corner where she swallowed a potion of invisibility.

Sadly Gavin, her betrothed was killed during a period when the fight was not under control.

After killing the other cohorts and getting hurt in the process, they spent some time quaffing healing potions.

Then the party hid whilst Imoen brought sarevok to near death with backstabs.

However Lady Firehair delivered the killing blow. :)

• ussnorway, Serg BlackStrider, Blackraven and 1 other like this

vbigiani

vbigiani
  • Members
  • 42 posts
Jane Shepard in Baldur's Gate - run 3 - update 3

The party continues clearing low risk areas - Lonely Peaks, the Fire Leaf Forest, Dryad Falls, Wolf River, Gnoll Stronghold. Wrex is getting used to his facetanking role. Risky bits: Jane lent Tali her Ioun Stone but forgot to asks it back - luckily I noticed it after being on the wrong end of a 20HP crit from a Skeleton, not something more powerful. Also, Jane getting a Lightning from the sky while poisoned from an Hobgoblin Elite - fortunately I was able to sleep it off when Jane had 6 HP left.
Spoiler

The Gnoll Stronghold saw Liara getting eager to read the Tome of Leadership, a first instance of Liara and Garrus buffing up the party with Protection from Evil for a bit of extra safety. Jane talking to herself Dynaheir got Jane and Wrex to level 5.
Spoiler

In the Red Canyons, a misclick meant fighting Bassilus' whole family. Not a big problem, thanks to a tactical retreat and missile barrage (and Wrex managing to Enrage while Bassilus' opening Hold Person was en route).
Spoiler

Melicamp's fate is yet unknown, since some mod removed the Skulls from the skeletons in High Hedge (they're in Mulahey's personal posse, instead). As such, after purchasing various items (Ioun stones, Full Plate Mail, potions, +1 items), we move onwards to the Mines.

Enuhal

Enuhal
  • Members
  • 363 posts

Congratulations, Grimwald - well done!

Sahal, gnomish cleric/illusionist, update 2

The party travelled to Ulgoth's Beard, mainly to buy a new Staff for Jaheira and the Greenstone Amulet + Cloak of Displacement for Khalid. Also killed some zombies for a farmer called Wenric. On the way, Sahal helped Tenya against Sonner and his fishermen. While being in the area, the group also took care of some ankhegs and brought the body of Brun's son to his father (using another potion of hill giant strength to fight the ankhegs and carry the body).

With everyone now owning powerful +2 or +3 melee weapons, Sahal hunted down a pack of wolves near the Beregost Temple, including two vampire wolves. Some animated skeletons also helped. Next, Larswood and Peldvale were explored, and the party killed Teven, Raiken and Corsone. However, before continuing to the bandit camp, I decided to gather some more experience and enough gold for the Robe of the Good Archmagi - by talking to Shandalar and asking him to send me to the Ice Island. I used my usual, simple tactic: Cast a protection from magic scroll on my strongest fighter, let him solo the mages. Khalid did need some help with the ankhegs, though, and Sahal was happy to put them to sleep.

With some new equipment, including the robe, the party entered the bandit camp, carefully killing some of the archers before engaging Taugosz. Sahal managed to cast a successful hold person to disable him - new armor for Jaheira!

Now, for Tazok's tent, I had Sahal learn holy smite instead of animate dead. The party buffed with bless, chant, resist fear and strength of one (a very useful spell I will continue to use until I have enough strength potions to replace it consistently - both Jaheira and Khalid really profit from increased strength), also DUHM for Sahal. After a quick holy smite, Sahal continued with another, and most enemies were either blinded or heavily wounded. The rest was easy. Success!

Now it's time to clear out the remaining areas in the east and the Sword Coast - I want to be as prepared as possible before entering Cloakwood.

Enuhal

Enuhal

Enuhal
  • Members
  • 363 posts

Sahal, gnomish cleric/illusionist, update 3

Sahal started his exploration of the remaining pre-Cloakwood areas with the mine exit area. Khalid, proected with a charge from the Greenstone Amulet, charged the amazons, supported by a very effective holy smite. Next, the party entered the various tombs and killed the revenant. Narcillius also had to die, with his slimes standing no chance against the groups powerful melee weapons.

Sahal travelled to the northern Sword Coast and encountered Shoal. Imoen was kissed to death, but resurrected and healed, and the party killed Droth to obtain the helmet of defense for Khalid. I also helped Mad Arcand, killed some ogres near the surgeon and fought a couple of sirens, using summoned skeletons to blank their charm spells. Further south, Sahal helped Ardrouine, killed Arkushule and fought his way to the flesh golem cave (summoned skeletons and ranged weapons made quick work of Sil and her sirens). All of the flesh golems were quickly destroyed.

With the western parts of the map now explored, the party turned to the east again. First, Gullykin: Chant, strength of one, resist fear and more skeletons proved to be enough to defeat Molkar's party. Though the halfling village was explored (important: the second sling +1), Sahal didn't enter the Firewine Ruins yet. First, he travelled south to kill Meilum and Kahrk. This ogre magus can be dangerous, so I had Khalid drink a potion of magic blocking before engaging him - his spells ended up not doing anything.

Sahal carefully started exploring the Firewine Ruins, ready for all the dangerous traps and kobold commandos. After helping the ghost knights, he made it to Lendarn, and Khalid was protected from magic once again. Some summoned creaures helped drawing the mages most dangerous spells, and soon, the wizard was slain. I decided to skip the basilisks at first and travelled to the area east of Larswood. Imoen disarmed some web traps, with Khalid tanking spiders and ettercaps and Jaheira with her slow poison spells at the ready. For the red wizards, the party used a couple of buff spells, with summoned skeletons taking the lead.

Now, the last remaining area before entering Cloakwood: Basilisks. I had lots of spellslots to protect the party from petrification, though I mostly ended up using skeletons and a protected Khalid, with the rest of the party only providing ranged support. No issues here, so Sahal should be ready for Cloakwood next time.

Enuhal

vbigiani

vbigiani
  • Members
  • 42 posts
Jane Shepard in Baldur's Gate - run 3 - update 4

En route to Nashkell, the Vampiric Wolf (remember him?) brought Liara, Garrus and Tali to level 5.
Greywolf and the mines were straightforward, Mulahey eating an Arrow of Biting for extra insurance against spells.
Exiting from the Mines, the Amazons were simply rushed after Enraging Wrex, leading to Jane eating more arrows than she should. While otherwise cleaning the area, the party decided to chicken out of fighting Narcillus (opting to fight the four Green Slimes instead). Nimbul was killed without issue, while Melicamp didn't survive his antichickening (He's a fool, I should eat him). The session ended with Tranzig's problem-les death.
Spoiler

Enuhal

Enuhal
  • Members
  • 363 posts

Sahal, gnomish cleric/illusionist, update 4

Cloakwood: The reason I'm scared of this area is not only the iron mine itself (and its mages), but also the dreaded Cloakwood ambushes. However, I got really lucky - though I was ambushed two times while travelling around in the forest, I didn't encounter the wyvern ambush.

Anyway - Sahal started with obtaining the Cloak of Non-Detection and proceeded to help Aldeth against Seniyad and his druids. In the next area, the party fought its way past lots of spiders and traps. I had Khalid drink a stone giant strength potion (he would need it to carry the body of Tiber's son anyway) to improve his capabilities. Also, the party prepared a wand of fire and a couple of fireball potions for Centeol, making this a quick and easy battle. Sadly, no one in my group is in need of the Spider's Bane +2.

Now, further west, Sahal fought Peter and a couple of shadow druids, including their arch druid, Amarande. Time for some wyvern hunting: After preparing with some of the usual buffs for tough physical fights (chant, bless, strength of one), the party entered the cave, and all of the wyverns were slain.

Sahal now has access to level 4 cleric spells, so PfE 10' radius can be used. With this, MI and resist fear added to the previously mentioned buffs, the party (after resting near the mine after a couple of tries) prepared to engange Drasus. Jaheira summoned forest beings and Sahal skeletons, though I did make a mistake, using holy smite on Drasus' party, turning all of my skeletons hostile - no matter, the enemies were quickly overwhelmed.

Next, the party rested again and fought its way down the iron mines. In level 2, Sahal engaged Hareishan from the south-east, only sending Khalid to pull her guards back into an ambush. Hareishan herself managed to cast a lightning bolt on Khalid before following him to her death, but it didn't bounce towards the party.

More guards, Natasha and an ogre mage awaited Sahal in the next level - managed to interrupt all of the spellcasters, aggressively using magic missle spells and the wand of missles, if neccessary. Imoen disarmed the traps leading up to Davaeorn, and Sahal summoned skeletons and buffed the party, aided by Jaheira. The skeletons were sent in to engage the evil wizard, with Khalid quickly following (though the others stayed back). The animated dead eventually managed to get some hits in, and soon, Davaeorn was defeated. Time to enter Baldur's Gate.

Enuhal

vbigiani

vbigiani
  • Members
  • 42 posts
Jane Shepard in Baldur's Gate - run 3 - update 5

Firewine bridge exterior - the Bracers were obtained in straight melee, Kahark was ignored.
Gullykin - Molkar's party was again ended in an uneventful melee (Wrex was Held, but the rest of the party didn't capitalize on that, attacking Jane instead).
Firewine bridge interior - Lendarn teleports in the middle of the party and manages to fire off a Web and one Lightning. Luckily Spell Revision changes Lightning so that it only hits the initial target (while dealing increased damage), rather than the usual bouncing projectile, or we could've seen the first party deaths right now... Against the Ogre Mage, the party opted for the risk-averse option of having Wrex duel the mage while Enraged. The party then avenged Gullykin's deaths by killing Jenkal.
Ulcaster - Icharyd gives Wrex a couple of new scars, thanks to some lucky rolls on his side (5 rolls of 17+ out of 6). Enough to force a rotation, not enough to actually slow down the party (unless you're counting having to sleep it off for a couple of days, of course). Inside the Ruins, a Mustard Jelly hits Tali three times, forcing her to quaff an Antidote to avoid the risk of death.
Returning to Beregost, the extra pair of Boots of Stealth was handed to Zhurlong, as well as a suit of Ankheg Plate Mail commissioned from Taerom (Beastmasters like Tali can actually use it). The Temple was also fully cleaned out (the Wolves were handled the paranoid way, via Enraged Wrex + missile barrage).
The party also returned to the Sharp Teeth Waste to finish off all remaning encounters (Kirian and Mutamin, and a couple of loose Basilisks). Kirian in particular managed to worry Jane, as well as forcing Liara to cast True Sight after Lindin quaffed a Potion of Invisibility. Clearing the earned Jane and Wrex their 6th level.
Spoiler

• ussnorway, Serg BlackStrider and CrevsDaak like this

vbigiani

vbigiani
  • Members
  • 42 posts
Jane Shepard in Baldur's Gate - run 3 - update 6

North of Friendly Arm Inn - cleaning out the Ankheg Nest gave Liara, Garrus and Tali their 6th level. The party also aided Tenyia against the fishermen, got paid by Gerde, and gave Brun some gold. The party finally disinfested a farm of the resident zombies.
Spoiler

Ulgoth's Beard - the party bought the Cloak of Displacement and the Dark Veil (permanent immunity to gaze attacks for Tali), before heading to the Ice Island, where the party got extremely lucky:
- the initial mage trio (including Andris) split up, meaning I could fight them one on one.
- Wrex surviving Andris' initial salvo with 1 HP left
- nobody dying or aggroing anything dangerous, even after being on the wrong end of multiple charges of Wand of Fear (why oh why did I think not to buy the Greenstone Amulet, relying on just Enrage?? :( )
Spoiler

- While fighting Marcellus, Tali got spooked and triggered Garan and the Ankhegs (with the party very split up and the mages teleporting all over the place). At a point, Jane was charmed, poisoned and under attack by Phase Spiders - Tali had to activate the Necklace of Missiles to clear the area around Jane, unfortunately Liara (who has the poorest HPs out of the party) ate the Fireball and Minor Sequenced Magic Missiles, leading to her demise - we now have to finish without Dispel Magic or True Sight :(
Spoiler

The next Mage (Beyn) was successfully rushed in Melee, dropping the Bracers of AC 4 (the whole reason for attempting the trip!) and a copy of the Ring of Free Action.
Cuchol, again, managed to lead us on a merry chase round the maze, but easily died after catching up to him (his opening move being Minor Globe of Invulnerability, a pretty poor choice against Fighters and low-level Paladins and Rangers!)
Next up, Tellan. He didn't do anything magical, except for tossing MMMs and MS MMs at Wrex, ultimately losing the duel against his Dart.
In the second level of the Ice Island, White Wolves were exterminated, and Snow Golems pulled from Dezkiel. Against him, Tali baited managed to cloud his aura by approaching Invisible (and triggering Detect Invisibility); he didn't manage to cast a second spell.
We finally returned to the mainland, bought the Greenstone Amulet, and resurrected Liara (who was already ~15 HP below the rest of the party, and is now also lagging by 8000 XP - hopefully this won't set a bad trend for the party).
  • ussnorway, Serg BlackStrider, Grond0 and 2 others like this

vbigiani

vbigiani
  • Members
  • 42 posts
Jane Shepard in Baldur's Gate - run 3 - FINAL UPDATE
Lighthouse - Jane easily soloed with the Sirines, while wearing the Greenstone Amulet, while the Golems were defeated in straight melee. This earned Liara a Cloak granting her slight regeneration capabilities, as well as a +1 Constitution from the Tome.
Shipwreck Coast - I forgot about the group of Sirines, luckily they aimed their Dire Charm at Wrex (who managed to Enrage while the projectile was en route). Meanwhile, Garrus demonstrates why kissing nereids is a bad idea...
Larswood - the druids were rushed in melee, but managed to charm Tali (luckily, she didn't think of attacking the rest of the party, so this proved to be a futile delaying tactic).
Woods of Sharp Teeth - the four mages were easily defeated by the firing squad of Liara and Tali (exchanging the Greenstone Amulet while the Charm projectiles were traveling). Wrex also had to quaff an Antidote after being hit by an Ettercap on his last hit point.
Peldvale - Jane and Wrex hit level 7. Nothing else of interest happened.
Bandit Camp - the exterior was approached with the whole party in "Firing Squad" mode, to avoid the risk of chasing a lone Bandit and aggroing the whole area, while the interior easily fell to standard melee charge.
Spoiler

However, disaster struck when the party headed towards Durlag's Tower - the two Doomguards quickly demolished Tali, then proceeded to teleport after retreating Jane and demolish her as well.
  • ussnorway, Serg BlackStrider, Grond0 and 1 other like this

Enuhal

Enuhal
  • Members
  • 363 posts

Sahal, gnomish cleric/illusionist, update 5

Sahal entered Baldur's Gate, first going to Sorcerous Sundries to buy scrolls and potions. Upstairs, he killed the four mages, with the help of some forest beings, buffs and animated dead. Next, the gnome started accumulating lots of experience by completing many, many sidequests in the city:

- Completed Narlen's quests (the dexterity tome was used by Sahal himself)

- Stole some items for Alatos and Brevlik

- Obtained a corpse for Arkion, killed Arkion and Nemphre and talked to Ordulinian

- Got a Sphene Gem for G'axir

- Did the Marek and Lothander quest - and killed the high priestress of Umberlee to still get the wisdom tome (for Sahal). Marek himself managed to confuse parts of the party, right around the time he died (his casting was uninterruptable). Sadly, Imoen shot an innocent peasant, and my reputation dropped from 20 to 10. Went to the temple to raise it to 18 again.

- Killed Larze and stole from Quenash

- Helped Varci, Ghorak and Noralee

- Killed a Basilisk for Nadarin

- Entered the Low Lantern to kill Desreta and Vay-ya - new gauntlets for Jaheira!

- Got Yago's book for Brielbara

- Obtained the Helm of Balduran and the Helm of Glory

- Killed Cyrdemac

- Helped Petrine and Rinnie

- Killed Ragefast and Ramazith, obtaining the tome of intelligence (for Sahal)

- Helped Quinn, Louise and Laerta, Pheirkas and killed two groups of burglars in the city

- Obtained the sea charts for Mendas (mostly by talking and paying money)

For the more interesting fights, the group buffed before entering the hideout of the ogre mages. Added haste to my usual buffs for tough battles. Holy smites were quite effective, though the mages managed to confuse Khalid and Jaheira. However, Imoen and Sahal managed to use magic missle spells and ranged weapons to take the remaining ones down before they could kill anyone. The group also killed Sunin and his guards, though I will not use the second RoW.

Next, the party started their first fights against doppelgangers, at the Merchant League and the Seven Suns. Sahal also explored the sewers and helped Scar by killing an ogre mage. He used forest beings, sleeps spells against the carrion crawlers and a free action spell for Khalid, so the crawlers wouldn't be able to hold him. The fight went quite well. The next tough fight Sahal sought out was against the Maulers of Undermountain at Helm and Cloak Inn. With animated dead and buffs including haste, the battle turned out to be easy.

Before entering the Iron Throne HQ and finishing the city, I decided to take on Degrodel. Added strength potions and defensive harmony to the usual buffs, equipped the party with their melee weapons and entered the house. With Khalid's very good ac and Sahal's MI, the party was well protected against the powerful enemies, and the gnome used holy smite to kill the invisible stalkers. Magic missle spells also helped a lot. After defeating the first group, Jaheira summoned forest beings, the party surrounded Degrodel, talked to him and killed him before he could run away. His remaining creatures were quickly defeated.

Finally, Sahal entered the Iron Throne HQ and talked/fought his way to the top. Upstairs, an emotion spell took out some of the enemies, though Imoen was hit by a dangerous flame strike, but survived with half hp. The group quickly killed the remaining spellcasters, and the rest of the group was easy. Now, time to go to Candlekeep.

Enuhal

Onirathiel

Onirathiel
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Hi, thinking of doing the No-Reload challenge, 2 questions. 1. Can I use the Baldur's Gate Reloaded Mod for NWN2? I assume not, so if I am wrong, I will accept it, and 2. Is there any way to get the new IWD ee opcodes to bgee?

Onirathiel

Blackraven

Blackraven
  • Members
  • 1,377 posts

Hi, thinking of doing the No-Reload challenge, 2 questions. 1. Can I use the Baldur's Gate Reloaded Mod for NWN2? I assume not, so if I am wrong, I will accept it, and 2. Is there any way to get the new IWD ee opcodes to bgee?

Onirathiel

Well met Onirathiel, and welcome. 

Re: 1. Does that mod change anything else besides converting the game from 2D to 3D? I'm not aware of any prohibited mods. Almost every no-reloader here plays with their own more or less modded set-up. The most important thing is for each player to indicicate what changes they make to the game, so that others can get an impression of available items, additional quests, available NPCs and their abilities, the complexity of certain battles etc.

Re: 2. I personally have no idea, but you could ask the same question over at the Adventurer's Lounge. Someone might be able to help you there.

Hope to see you in action soon :)

• Onirathiel likes this