Photo

Baldur's Gate 1 No-Reload Challenge

• Please log in to reply
16394 replies to this topic

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts

I played Dark Horizons once, and man, at first it's terrifying! Certainly on a no-reload. However, once I finally got to the stage where I could start killing some of the assassins, their overpowered gear really turned the tables. I think I still have that run saves somewhere; I got to Chapter 5, didn't die, but felt as though my stuff made me so powerful compared with the regular foes that there wasn't much point...

I think that once I have the mod sussed out I will uninstall it. It is probably a good thing that I have now lost that equipment.  It made Sarevok rather too easy, but then as you say, some of the other battles were very hard. I was saddened that they nerfed the dragon. I would have liked it to have been harder. Of course I could keep it and install other mods to make the game harder. I haven't decided yet.

The Fred

The Fred
  • Members
  • 2,516 posts

Yeah, that's what I did. Same with Dark Side of the Sword Coast and the Drizzt Saga - they're worth playing, at least once, but all in all I prefer the game without them I think. I still have Secret of Bone Hill installed on this game, too, but I'll probably not do it (I'm still stuck there on my other "not-dead-yet" no-reload). The Grey Clan is reasonably good, but I've never done it on a no-reload (I completed it once, after many many deaths).

I think I might also uninstall Full Plate and Packing Steel. I like it, but in BG1 I think it makes things too easy and favours light armour too much, especially with the BG1 slower movements speeds mod I also have, just because ranged weapons and mobility are so important. I think all the movement speed mods I have are not playing well together, either - Branwen with her Boots of Speed still doesn't move that fast (she's wearing Ankheg armour, but that's fairly light).

• Blackraven likes this

The Fred

The Fred
  • Members
  • 2,516 posts

Marcus and Co. did pick up Safana (a L9 Swashbuckler). She already had two stars in Small Weapons, so I gave her two in Two-Weapon Style as well. I debated Long Swords and Bows, but this still lets her use throwing daggers (I will micromanage her from daggers+buckler to Heart of the Golem (Dagger+2)/Short Sword +1 when necessary). I'm not sure what traps and locks skills are necessary, but I put 100 in each just to be on the safe side, and the remaining 65 in Detect Illusions (never used it, but it might come in handy). With Studded Leather +1 she has a decent AC (2, or 1 with a buckler) and still good thieving skills. I'm going to try and find the second pair of Boots of Stealth for her, because with those you can at least have a punt even with little investment.

We also went back to Black Alric's cave, where Marcus and Branwen were able to make short work of the Flesh Golems. At first, Marcus was Improved Invisible and Mirror Imaged. His weapon was unsuitable for backstab, sadly (one of my mods gives everyone a x2), but a stealth crit still almost killed the first guy. Those guys still hit hard, and both of them got pretty badly injured, but Marcus critted the third guy too for over 30 damage, which isn't too shabby.

I feel like the four of them, being as high-level as they are (L8-9, with Marcus L7/7), should have no trouble with the Cloakwood Mines; I'm just cautious because I've only done it once or twice on a no-reload, and I can't remember whether that was with SCS (I think it was, but still). I know I can take down pretty much any of its denizens (there's a wizard, and ogre mage, those Helmed Horrors, etc) in isolation, but it's damn annoying to try resting there. I think next time, though, I may bite the bullet and give it a try. That, or Durlag's Tower.

• Serg BlackStrider and Blackraven like this

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Dylan {5} - dwarf swashbuckler (1st and final update)

Another mistake ended this morning's attempt at Dylan progressing without taking damage.  He'd cleared most of the wilderness areas prior to going to the Nashkel mines and was up almost to level 8 without having been attacked at that stage.  

The vast majority of his kills had been made using his shortbow and that included success against a number of dangerous SCS enemies with archery capability who wander all over the map when faced with a hidden enemy.  However, it was a rare attack with his sword that led to his downfall.  In the Valley of the Tombs he showed himself to the Revenant in order to get it to wander over close to the entrance and then left.  Coming back in stealthed he successfully attacked it twice, without causing it to go hostile.  However, his third attack proved unlucky.  I was double-tapping the space bar to be able to retreat as soon as his attack was made, but hadn't turned off the auto-pause on enemy sight.  As a result the Revenant had a brief window of opportunity to get an attack in - and unfortunately took it.

As with incarnation number 4 I'll retire him at this point - once again his HPs are pretty poor, which makes that seem an easier decision B).

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts

Hard Luck Grond0. :(

@The Fred. All the best for the mines.

I had no major problem except for the fact that if I hang around the start of the lowest level, guards keep appearing behind the party.

I found that if I moved quickly away, they stopped coming. I made sure that the party was hasted and ran into a side room to fight Davaeorn. If you have the ability to summon monsters that is a big help. Getting them to use spells on them while the party is out of sight means that there are fewer spells to use on the party. :)

It was the mage one floor up from there (Harsheim I think her name was) that was the big problem in the game before last. Lightning bolt in an enclosed space! :(

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
Quad multiplayer attempt 4.
Session 3.

Despite issues (Corey and Dogdancing intermittently unable to hear anything on Skype, a couple of game drops and Corey switching from the game to Skype whenever he tried to use his inventory) the session today was fairly straightforward.

The session began outside the cave of Black Alaric, with full inventories. High Hedge was the store of choice, then down to kill a wolf for Melicamp and kill Bassilus (Strofe playing target but hiding in the shadows behind a pillar so Bassilus wasted his spell. High Hedge was visited twice more - once without Melicamp and a second time after remembering to find him and talk to him. Unfortunately it was a case of bang bang chicken for supper.

A trip up north saw Corheal take on the ankheg nest. He did well, only being hit once.
Spoiler
and after speaking to Farmer Brun, Brazil used her increased charisma (16) to grab a few items (cloak of displacement, greenstone amulet?) from Ulgoth's Beard.

Greywolf had a bad night
Spoiler
as did a revenant
Spoiler
and Narcillus Harwilliger Neen
Spoiler
. There was a struggle in another tomb though leading to the first party death of the session
Spoiler

(All clients were dumped at this stage, and rejoined at Beregost temple. A quick check indicated they lost ~3000xp each, including a level for Corheal, so I consoled their xp back to a reasonable level. I expect some kills were also deducted when this happened but no way to tell).

With plenty done, the party were easily ready for Nashkel mine. Wewa caused much hilarity by tripping a trap and taking damage instead of disarming it. Sometimes you just can't wait to see what that stuff on the floor is...

Mulahey ran into trouble 'down pit'
Spoiler
while the Amazons got a dose of silence, backstabs, lightning and arrows
Spoiler
. Nimbul failed to survive a pre-emptive backstab, while Tranzig survived long enough to encourage a bit of friendly fire
Spoiler

The bandit camp was reached, then left so Teven could introduce us to Tazok
Spoiler
and peel off his still-warm, nay still burning, gauntlets. Wewa set about looting anything that wasn't bolted down and left the others to the killing.

Brazil was a social magnet next, charming a hobgoblin into helping attack the bandits and then excelling herself by charming Taugosz Khosann no less. Try as the party could, Taugosz killed his own men quicker than the four of us could manage - although of course we ran him close. Once he ran out of enemies Taugosz let go of his war hammer and wiped his brow with his spare weapon slot fist, before being set upon and slain.

Corheal uses sanctuary to step inside the main bandit tent, and with Venkt and Raemon silenced from afar their fates were sealed
Spoiler

With a week or so until our next session there is plenty of time to plan our adventure. We've sold a couple of +2 daggers already and Wewa has a +1 so may be time to sort that out.

Gate70: Strofe, Elven Stalker 5. 171 kills. Started with composite longbow but mainly dual-wielding Varscona / long sword +1.
Corey Russell: Corheal, Halfling Priest of Lathander 5. 31 kills. Started with Morning Star / shield but ended up with Ashideena War Hammer / shield. 
Grond0: Brazil, Half-Elf Fighter 4 / Druid 4. 100 kills, 1 death. Sling +1 / Quarterstaff +1.
Dogdancing: Wewa, Elven Thief 6. 21 kills, 1 death. Shortbow +1 / Dagger +1.
  • Serg BlackStrider and Grond0 like this

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts

I played Dark Horizons once, and man, at first it's terrifying! Certainly on a no-reload. However, once I finally got to the stage where I could start killing some of the assassins, their overpowered gear really turned the tables. I think I still have that run saves somewhere; I got to Chapter 5, didn't die, but felt as though my stuff made me so powerful compared with the regular foes that there wasn't much point...

I did find the last bit too easy, but playing solo probably meant that the equipment was not quite so overpowered. Being a crusader meant that the overpowered short sword which holds enemies was not the weapon for me. Two-handed swords only. Aethelstan should be a powerhouse with Carsomyr if he gets that far.

Blackraven

Blackraven
  • Members
  • 1,377 posts

Butch Baylen, 10th BG1 installment

In the context of their outlaw status and the advisability to ‘lay low’ for some time, the companions decided to revisit Durlag’s Tower. Butch dreaded the Tower after what had happened to Shar-Teel there, but he had accepted an assignment from Hurgan, a Dwarf in Ulgoth’s Beard who had claimed to be a distant relative of the late Durlag himself. The party was to retrieve a dagger for the Dwarf and would receive an enchanted Warhammer, a good weapon for Yeslick, in return. 
On their way to the Tower, Butch paid his friend Nalin a visit to see how Imoen, Isra, Kagain, Kivan, and Shar-Teel were doing. To his embarrassment it had been nearly three tendays since he last checked on his former companions. Butch was very glad to find all five of them in a much better condition than they had been in the last time. Imoen was physically weak still, but otherwise very much her old self. She was thinking of traveling to Beregost as soon as she was a bit stronger, to ask Firebead Elvenhair to train her in the arcane arts. Butch updated Isra on recent developments regarding Sarevok and the Throne. She said she would soon travel to Amn to report those tidings to her Paladin order of the Ruby Rose. Kagain, the toughest of Butch’s friends, was pretty much fully recovered. He told Butch he was willing to rejoin him later, but first he had some business to attend to. He wasn’t very specific to Butch, but the rogue understood that the Dwarf wanted to reopen his mercenary company, albeit it in a different set-up. Kagain's plans could include Butch should he be interested, the Dwarf had said. Shar-Teel, the last of Butch’s companions to suffer near fatal injuries, and Kivan were still unfit for adventuring though Nalin had hopes that they too would eventually fully recover.
Butch felt good after his reunion with these old friends (really not that old, he had only met them in the past six months, but much had happened that made the period seem longer).

In the cellars below Durlag’s Tower Quayle found a hidden door that led to what would turn out to be a series of underground levels. I had not forgotten about the many traps, some of which I had failed to disarm or even discern, on the upper levels. Thankfully I had honed my trap detection skills since then, and I had an ample collection of potions of perception to help me find and disarm any snares. I had Quayle cast Invisibility on me, and set out to explore the first underground level by myself. Unlike the plain upper levels, this floor had a rather complex design. It was built around a spacious hall with a well in the middle, covered by a locked trapdoor, and guarded by four motionless Dwarves. At first I thought they were statues but upon closer inspection their eyes looked very real. Around the large hall there were corridors that led to several different smaller rooms: a bedchamber, a forge, a treasury, and a trophy room, among others. I realized that Durlag and his family and greater clan had made their home underground rather than on the upper levels, very Dwarflike.
I encountered and ignored numerous monsters (Flesh Golems, Doppelgangers, Skeletons, and Spiders), focusing solely on my task of removing the traps. I actually missed one, thankfully not a lethal one. When I returned to my comrades I informed them of my findings. We dispatched the monsters, struggling only with the (Greater) Doppelgangers as they repeatedly Dire Charmed Yeslick.

Spoiler
We then looted the place, finding among other things a second Manual of Gainful Exercise after the one we had found a few days before at the Ulcaster Ruins.

[This was a courtesy of the Item Randomizer. Unfortunately Butch had started out with 16 STR, so reading the second tome ‘only’ brought him to 18 STR. I believe DSotSC adds another STR tome, on a LE merchant-wizard in the Wood of Sharp Teeth, but I’m not sure about that.]

Curious as we were, we decided to show ourselves to the Dwarven warders of the well. They spoke, urging us to bring them different items we could find or assemble in some of the rooms we had already explored: a bottle of wine, a gong mallet, a gemstone and a key to be precise. When we handed those items the Dwarves attacked us. Quayle, Keiria and Faldorn were still invisible, but Ajantis, Yeslick and I weren’t. The three of us fled in different directions, dispersing our attackers. It enabled us to fell the Dwarves one at a time.

Spoiler
When all four Dwarves lay dead, we were able to remove the trapdoor on the well, and descend from a ladder to a second underground level.

This second level was similar to the previous level in that it consisted in a warren of corridors and halls and chambers, and that it was guarded. However apart from conventional guards (as in physical protectors), the place was also guarded with an intricate security system that locked or opened doors depending on specific actions such as picking up one item or touching another item. Some actions would cause one door to be opened and another to be locked at the same time. As before, I scouted each section we entered for possible traps. After some experimentation we managed to open all the doors. It was then merely a matter of looting the place, good for a Greenstone Amulet and some enchanted weapons and armor, and dispatching the warders. We had difficulty once again with a quartet of Greater Doppelgangers (initially disguised as some of Durlag Trollkiller’s close relatives) when Keiria was Horrored during the casting of a spell. As we were no longer protected by Keiria’s song, Ajantis was forced to save against another Horror which, thankfully, he did

Spoiler
unlike Yeslick who also got Dire Charmed, as had happened to him before. Faldorn and I fortunately saved against a third Horror spell.
Spoiler
Eventually my bolts of dispelling and Ajantis’ anti-Doppelganger sword were too much for the shapeshifting creatures to handle.
Spoiler
We didn’t have any difficulty finding a way down to a third underground level, but still had a hard time actually making it there. First we had to battle four Dwarven Doom Guards,
Spoiler
and shortly after that Quayle had to save my skin with an Invisibility spell as I passed out in a gas chamber inhabited by belligerent Skeleton Warriors.
Spoiler
Once the undead were down though, we were able to proceed.

The next level was very different from the previous ones, much simpler. I liked it. We found ourselves right in front of a round chamber with a fountain-like structure in the middle. However, rather than being the source of water, it let off fireballs every few seconds. I found no snare or mechanism that caused the explosions, so we decided to take advantage of the moments between the explosions to run one after the other to a door on our right.
We stepped into a very large hall that showcased the skeletal remains of a massive Wyrm, allegedly slain by Durlag himself. A speaking Skeleton warned us of three Greater Wyverns nearby and advised us to animate a number of statues of fallen heroes behind it to help us slay the Wyverns. I did animate some of the statues, but the heroes weren’t very effective against the monsters. In the end I dispatched the Wyverns myself with attacks from the shadows.

Spoiler
We also cleared a maze garden (again, after I had disarmed a number of traps) of several Ashirukurus and Greater Ghouls. A treasure trove contained a Tome of Clear Thought that I read with great interest. 

I was never fond of magic, at least not as an instrument of combat. There was magic I respected and even considered desirable for myself in the exercise of my vocation as a spy and investigator, Divination magic for example. But spells that confused an opponent in the heat of combat, or that made a typically weakling wizard suddenly untouchable, or that summoned forth all manner of monsters from the Gods know where, were all reprehensible in my view, corrupt, treacherous.
I was aware that I was no warrior, and I had always taken a certain pleasure in my independence of magic, using instead my physical abilities to the fullest, my agility, my stealth, even my talent with snares and contraptions to overcome seemingly stronger opposition.
As a mercenary I understood well enough that the end often justified the means. But even so, I had always tried to be a fair and honest man. Resorting to mind and magic tricks like the ones I just mentioned were hard to reconcile with my concepts of fairness and honesty. And yet, here I found myself, with my artificially increased intelligence and with Imoen’s decision to train herself as a mage on my mind, wondering whether it would be a good idea for me to try and study the arcane arts as well. 

Four ‘elemental rooms’ brought me back to the business we had at hand. They seemed to serve no purpose but to send nosey folk like ourselves to their deaths. We battled a Polar Bear and Winter Wolves in an ice room, a Fission Slime in an earth room, an Air Aspect and Invisible Stalkers in an air room, and finally two explosive Phoenix Guards in a fire room. When he had slain those last two, Quayle told Ajantis in his typically sardonic way that he felt a crescent teleportation spell was soon going to take us elsewhere.

Spoiler
(I must say that while his style wasn’t mine, I appreciated the sharp-tongued little Gnome for his wit, his insights and his secret loyalty to the party.)

We knew not what to expect, so Quayle turned us all invisible. Moments later we were indeed teleported away. We arrived in a room that consisted of little else than a giant chessboard, with animated pieces opposite us. A male voice that came from above us said that we had to beat the other side in order to be free again and continue with our exploration of the tower. The side whose King fell first, would lose the game. As there was no way out, we had ittle choice but to agree to play. We immediately discovered that it wasn’t going to be an ordinary game of chess, for the opposing pieces attacked all at once. It seemed there were no rules, other than the requirement to keep one’s King alive. (I didn’t even know who our King was, so I wanted all of us to stay alive at that point more than ever.)
Those of us who didn’t normally enjoy Free Action all drank potions of freedom as Faldorn dropped two or three Webs on the middle of the chessboard. Yeslick summoned two Skeletons to our side. We first slew a few Pawns that had made it to our side of the board before Faldorn cast her first Web,

Spoiler
and then carefully pushed forward. Even so, some of us sustained injuries from lightning traps we inadvertently triggered. Our eyes were on the King though.
Spoiler
Both he and the Queen were heavily buffed spell casters but thankfully one of my bolts of dispelling aimed at the King struck true, right before a Glitterdust blinded me. It removed the King’s protections, allowing Ajantis and Yeslick to assault it. An Insect Plague by Faldorn greatly facilitated our battle, as it frustrated the King’s and Queen’s spell casting. It was Yeslick who dealt the King the killing blow.
Spoiler
The other pieces then disintegrated and the storm subsided.

After our chess victory we were able to proceed to a fourth and final underground level. It was pretty straightforward in its design due to half of the area being comprised of a complex of caverns (with highly acidic pools in them, painful to the touch). The other half of the level consisted of two larger rooms – a hall inhabited by spiders, and a large pantry – and three or four smaller rooms, including a forge room. Our task was pretty straightforward as well. A Durlag apparition told us, cryptically, that we had to find three wardstones in order to open a sealed door. We found one in the forge, one in the room with the Spiders, and one in the caverns, on a Ghoul Lord we slew.
With the wardstones we removed the seal and then passed through the door to enter a small storage room. There we defeated a party of unnecessarily hostile adventurers with relative ease (I respected them nonetheless for having made it so far down).

Spoiler
One (injured) adventurer was unaggressive. She warned us that a Death Knight awaited us in the adjacent hall – something that didn’t worry us all that much after we had already successfully dispatched such a creature during our first visit to the Tower – and that we could try and turn a Mirror of Opposition on it in hopes of conjuring a copy of the Death Knight that would fight the real Death Knight with us. It could however also create hostile copies of ourselves. 

We decided against using the mirror, and we wouldn’t regret that decision. The Death Knight was unsusceptible to Quayle’s wand-paralyzation attempts, cast Symbol: Pain and Power Word: Blind at Ajantis and Yeslick, and injured the others (including myself) with Ice Sheets.

Spoiler
He also level-drained blinded Ajantis and Yeslick, but both warriors kept on fighting the abomination without despair. My enchanted bolts interrupted some of the Death Knight’s spell casting and eventually felled the creature.
Spoiler
Amongst its meager possessions the Death Knight dropped a dagger that Keiria identified as the Soultaker Dagger, presumably Hurgan’s dagger.

The party didn’t immediately travel back to Ulgoth’s Beard to hand Hurgan the dagger as they left Durlag’s Tower behind them. First they decided to see if they could enter the nearby Firewine Ruins using Charleston Nib’s scroll. They could, but they found it a dangerous place, with Ju-Ju Zombies and Vampires (which prompted Ajantis, Yeslick and Butch to use Protection from Undead scrolls) roaming about, and with Astral Phase Spiders and Sword Spiders occupying the souterrain.

Spoiler
The treasure, a suit of caster-friendly Elven chainmail of the Firewine was perfect for Keiria though.

A separate part of the Ruins was inhabited by Kobolds, led by a hostile Human wizard and an Ogre Mage. The companions slew the evildoers without difficulty thanks to Butch’s dispelling bolts.

Spoiler
They left the ruins via a secret tunnel that led them to the Halfling village of Gullykin. The town elder, Gandolar Luckyfoot, thanked them with his Lucky Ring for rooting out the Kobolds and wizards, and a Halfling lass named Alora offered to join the party. Butch and Quayle liked the girl, but they also felt she might be unprepared for the Life. They declined for Alora's own good.

En route to Ulgoth’s beard Butch thought about how much of a hassle it had been to obtain the dagger, and considered renegotiating the deal with Hurgan. Eventually he decided not to, mainly because their second excursion to Durlag’s Tower had been a profitable venture in its own right.
Upon arrival in Ulgoth’s Beard they found the village flooded with nondescript cultists. One of them knicked the Soutaker Dagger from Ajantis and made off; others attacked. They were no threat to the party, which at that point was a well-trained unit. Keiria would go invisible, singing her battlesong unless/until her emergency spells were needed (which wasn’t the case in Ulgoth’s Beard). Quayle went invisible as well after he got hit twice. Like Keiria he would only interfere if the situation called for it. Faldorn cast her usual Insect Plague and Chromatic Orbs.

Spoiler
Yeslick and Ajantis did their part in melee combat, and Butch attacked with his crossbow, mostly to dispel and disrupt casters. The Enforcer wizards liked to cast Emotions at Butch, forcing the rogue to swig potions of magic blocking.
Spoiler
At the Ulgoth’s Beard inn, Hurgan informed the party that the Cultists would use his dagger to summon a Nabassu they worshipped as their God, and urged the companions to go after the dagger. 

Personally, that was a deal-breaker for me but I went along with Hurgan's wish for Ajantis, whom I knew I would want by my side when facing Sarevok and his cronies, and whose friendship I had come to appreciate, remarkably enough. Ajantis considered going after the dagger and if necessary fighting the Nabassu of the utmost importance.
My relationship with Ajantis was a complicated one. On the one hand I considered him my brother-in-arms, and possibly the most capable warrior I’d had in my company, along with Kagain. And he in turn had complimented me on my prowess (and even my virtue) on multiple occasions. There was a deep mutual respect, and besides, a mutual trust between the Waterdhavian and me. On the other hand, as a Paladin, Ajantis followed the tenets of his patron deity Helm and his own insatiable desire to serve the good races, whereas I was first and foremost a survivor and a mercenary. I couldn’t fathom why one would risk their own life to help a stranger in need. Wasn’t survival the main purpose of life? My cruel awakening after Gorion’s death, the bounty hunters and assassins that had sought to kill me at every turn, had taught me just that. But it was not Ajantis’ way. Truth be told, my life had not solely revolved around survival. I had had my pleasures as well: the heists I had pulled off at the Travenhurst and Silvershield estates, or the nightly delights I had shared with Branwen, to name a few. But those were things I knew Ajantis didn’t approve of either. Of course there were the friendships with my companions, including Ajantis himself. I had put my life at stake for them and I was willing do so again if necessary. But to do the same for strangers was a lot to ask of me. I felt I had a hard enough time staying alive as it was and I didn’t feel the need to endanger myself any further. Nevertheless Ajantis had me thinking about my purpose in life, once my business with Sarevok was all over. I realized that as much as I considered myself more akin to a free-lance like Kagain, or a vigilante like Kivan, it was probably a good thing for my conscience that I had Ajantis with me. Who knows what dark paths I might have trodden in the company of the likes of Shar-Teel or to a lesser extent Kagain.

Inside the lair of the cultists, the party dispatched more demon disciples. Butch then descended to an open ritual chamber where he saw more cultists, as well as the already gated Nabassu. He swiftly retreated when he sensed the fiend attempting to lock him in its death gaze. The rogue was quite vexed when he informed his comrades about what he had witnessed, and decided to ask how the others felt about simply leaving the place. As expected, Ajantis was eager to fight the Nabassu, and much to Butch’s chagrin, so were most of the others. Everyone except Quayle. The party went downstairs, slew the ritualists first, which wasn’t too hard as they had been too caught up in their ritual to be battle-ready,

Spoiler
and then took on the fiend – without having the slightest idea what to expect of it other than its terrible death gazes. Initially Butch took a cautious approach, believing it up to the ‘heroes’ to deal with the demon, but when it chose Quayle as its target, repeatedly teleporting toward the Gnome, he felt bound to stand up for his Gnomish friend and started attacking their foe with his crossbow.

Besides using its teleportation powers, the fiend used an ability to go ethereal and regenerate, and it kept Silencing the party constantly. The Silencing could have been a huge problem, as it could have prevented Death Gazed party members from being cured by caster companions. However, the fiend for some reason decided to rely on its level-draining claws rather than its deadly gaze to defeat the party. This proved to be its downfall. Although the creature managed to level-drain Yeslick, Quayle and Ajantis, it wasn’t enough to kill any of them. Eventually it was Ajantis who slew the fiend, banishing it back to its hellish plane.

Spoiler
After the deed, the Cavalier looked around with what Butch – justly or unjustly – took for a somewhat smug smile, which struck the rogue as inappropriate given the fact that his traps and a whooping with his staff had left the demon for all but dead before Ajantis felled it.
Spoiler
Not that Butch cared much; being a hero wasn’t really his thing anyway.

On their way out, Reedrig, the monk they had released from the Orcs in the Fields of the Dead came up to Ajantis with an interesting story. Apparently he had been a member of an occult order called the Order of the Black Hand. They were located in the Wood of Sharp Teeth. Together with the cultists that had gated the Nabassu, the Cult of the Black Hand had wanted to gate an even more powerful demon, a Prince of Baalors.

Spoiler
This story was grist to the mill of Ajantis and Keiria, who had revealed to Butch her true ideological colors by pretty much always agreeing with Ajantis’ ideas (though she hadn’t manifested any romantic feelings toward the Paladin yet, at least not in Butch’s presence). They exchanged the Soultaker Dagger for a Hammer of Giantslaying with Hurgan, and left for the Wood of Sharp Teeth.

Butch decided for himself that this was going to be the last unpaid job he would carry out before returning to Baldur’s Gate to deal with the Iron Throne. After that he could finally decide for himself what he wanted to do with his life, and with whom. This concerned not only Ajantis or soft-spoken but high-principled Keiria, but also Faldorn. The two respected each other’s abilities, but he had no doubt that the Druid would leave the party as soon as Sarevok was dealt with, and he was fine with that. Their partnership had never become a friendship due to their widely differing worldviews and the female’s rigid character.

Butch, a skilled sneaksman, scouted the woods for the base of the Order of the Black Hand, a temple, and single-handedly dispatched thirteen hostile monks in black soutanes. This was no small feat, for the monks were able marksmen with their Ripper bows, and they fired arrows of piercing and detonation at him.

Spoiler
Inside the Temple there were thirteen more of the black cloaks. A clumsy attempt at picking a lock (not his forte) on a chest betrayed his presence and caused a salvo of arrows to find their way toward him. A vision formed in his mind. He was a statue, one of countless statues standing on window sills in an unfathomably high tower. A crack appeared in the statue that represented Butch. And from it, more cracks sprouted. He felt he was about to faint, but in an ultimate effort he managed to gulp a potion of invisibility.
Spoiler
He sat down, quietly, and started quaffing healing potions, with his eyes closed. The image of the statue was still there. The cracks gradually vanished, and then the vision grew blurry before it faded altogether. When the healing potions had done their job, he snuck out of the temple, back to his companions, and explained the situation to them. The strategy was simple. With Stoneskins and Ironskins, Keiria, Quayle and Faldorn were expected to be able to cast their Skull Traps, Confusion and Insect Plague spells at the archers in the back. They drank potions of fire resistance to protect them from the expected arrows of detonation. Ajantis and Yeslick buffed with oils of speed, and heroism and strength potions. They would engage the frontliners in melee, while Butch would support the others with ranged attacks. This worked fairly well. Quayle didn’t manage to cast his Confusion and had to flee after having been hit twice in a row, and Yeslick looked to be a goner at one point (1 HP)
Spoiler
but he healed himself just in time. Keiria’s battlesong was essential against mind-affecting spells cast by the cult leader, a Half-Orc named Brother Draagis, and she dealt the archers in the back some serious damage with three Skull Traps. Faldorn was very effective with her Insect Plague and Webs spells.
Spoiler
Before long all the cultists lay dead,
Spoiler
so that the party could finally return to Baldur’s Gate.

• Gate70, Serg BlackStrider and Dyara like this

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,558 posts

Astounding stuff, Blackraven! Keep on it!

• Blackraven likes this

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts

A very well written account Blackraven. Most impressive. :)

• Blackraven likes this

Golden28

Golden28
  • Members
  • 277 posts

Great read BR, you could make up a book from all the stories by now I'd imagine  :o..

That was a very, very close call.. :P

Cheers!

• Blackraven likes this

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Dylan {6} - dwarf swashbuckler (first and final update)

Another day, another Dylan.  This one obviously realised that I was too busy to spend much time gaming today and decided to get hit fairly quickly to end the game.  He was up to level 7, like #5, but was at the start rather than the end of the level.  He hadn't quite maximised reputation and was just setting off for the FAI with Samuel in his backpack.  To avoid Samuel dying on the way Dylan was intending to travel on the main roads for the first time.  That meant I was aware of the danger of a bandit ambush, but got caught out by another variety before that.

The problem was that when the ambush triggered only a half-ogre arrived to set off the auto-pause.  It's not unusual for ambushers to arrive in a staggered fashion, so to be safe I should really have double-tapped the pause button to see if anyone else appeared, but didn't do so.  I was then a bit slow to react when some skeletons joined in the fight and only paused the game again when 2 of the 3 equipped with missile weapons had fired - and missed.  

At that point I heaved a sigh of relief at having got away with it and clicked to get Dylan to disappear with an invisibility potion.  Taking potions is almost instant - but not quite.  In this case there was just enough time for the 3rd skeleton to fire - and hit.

Skeletons_zps9hstmo5w.jpg

Annoyingly, this incarnation, unlike the last 2, had very good HPs - but he's still being retired.  I'll come back to Dylan in due course, but will try something else next.

• Grimwald the Wise likes this

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts

Hard luck Grond0

Samuel has never died on me when I go directly to the FAI.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

Hard luck Grond0

Samuel has never died on me when I go directly to the FAI.

That's right, he doesn't.  In fact if you take the shortest travel route you've got time to rest as well.  What you don't have is the time to travel on the side roads in order to avoid the risk of bandit ambushes on the main road.

The Fred

The Fred
  • Members
  • 2,516 posts

It was the mage one floor up from there (Harsheim I think her name was) that was the big problem in the game before last. Lightning bolt in an enclosed space! :(

Oh yes, I have fond memories of that Lightning Bolt... :)

All those Black Talon Elites are a pain as well, especially under SCS.

Part of me is feeling like putting it off and maybe doing the first "proper" downstairs level of Durlag's (with the Warders) or at least having a stab at it. But, I should probably just get on with it - then I get to go to Baldur's Gate!

Dyara

Dyara
  • Members
  • 330 posts

@Blackraven: you should write books :) ... or perhaps you do already :D ...

• Blackraven likes this

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts

I think that a lot of us are CAPABLE of writing like Blackraven does. We just don't have the patience or the time. I can do two or three posts like he does and then I just want to get on with the game. :( Nothing wrong with that. I strongly suspect that when Blackraven has finished this game that his next game will not be written up in quite so detailed a fashion.

If it is, I will certainly be impressed and would recommend that he does think seriously about writing.

Blackraven

Blackraven
  • Members
  • 1,377 posts

Thanks Golden, Serg, Grimwald and Dyara. I got taken away for a bit. :P Glad you all took the time to read, and that you appreciated the contents.
Grimwald is right though that time constraints and impatience can complicate things, and that I'm unlikely to invest as much in the writing in my next playthrough.

Blackraven

Blackraven
  • Members
  • 1,377 posts

People, could you give me your views and habits re: testing in no-reload runs. Sometimes while playing I want to know something (which can be anything really). The problem is that I only play no-reload as playthroughs with reloads are no longer enjoyable to me, so if I want to test something it would be within a no-reload setting. This means I ignore my question, so as to avoid any reloading, or conduct a test. Sometimes I gamble Charname's life to find out what I want to know, sometimes I avoid the question, and less often I test. 

Sunday I decided to have Butch check out Haeball, the DSotSC merchant in the Larswood tower, to see if the latter kept a Tome of Strength on his body or in one of his chests. As I wrote in my last installment I vaguely recalled this to be the case. I wanted to try and pickpocket him and open one or more of his chests with a key I had found, to see about the tome and possible other loot. However when Butch and co got into the tower Haeball immediately went hostile, telling the party it was high time for them to die. Moments later Butch and Keiria were indeed killed (Nature's Beauty).

My questions: Do you guys test things at all? If yes, do you do so in-game, or do you only use sources like Shadow Keeper of Near Infinity? Do you consider the above incident with Haeball a game-ender? I initially did, blaming myself for not immediately aborting the experiment after it had become clear I couldn't test what I had wanted to test, and for allowing the original experiment to turn into another experiment ('what is Haeball doing here?'). But I decided I'd ask you for your views. I consider myself a pretty strict no-reloader, so I'd accept it with sorrow but without protest if some of you people consider Butch's run to have ended. Also, do you have any tips on testing in the no-reload context? I've considered making separate saves, but that feels a bit artificial and liable to abuse, as in 'oh this is not my real save, I can do whatever I like'.

• Dyara likes this

The Fred

The Fred
  • Members
  • 2,516 posts

I have done. I think, if you use a previous save from a no-reload, well, that's not a no-reload any more. However, it is a bit of a grey area. I did a test earlier there with items and how long it would take for them to disappear. I felt a bit like I was dancing about the rules of the no-reload a bit... on the other hand, I killed Karhk on that test run, with all the items there, then made myself go back and do it again on the actual no-reload run; if I hadn't been allowed to rest then that run would have had to be the real one and I would have been fine anyway so I think all in all it works out. But, I would tend to avoid it.

At the end of the day, though, the challenge is kind of for yourself. Most of us now have so many mods and things that we're really not playing the same game as each other anyway, so completing a no-reload means different things.

• Blackraven likes this

Dyara

Dyara
  • Members
  • 330 posts

I do test... sometimes. Could be a dialog (what happens when I choose answer xy...), pickpocketing (is it actually possible to pickpocket item xy with a certain pickpocket skill) or even a battle (for example in my previous playthrough I tested the final Sarevok fight as I had no idea what to expect with the SCS installed - the test ended with Sarevoks death but as it was a test I had to abandon it).

When I make a test, I usually make a save, close BG, restart BG, load that save, make my test and when the test is done I close BG and perhaps restart BG to continue with my playthrough, When I just test a dialog I usually skip the close/restart part (then I just say aloud  'This is a test').

• Blackraven likes this

Dyara

Dyara
  • Members
  • 330 posts

Sarya, elven Jester, NoReload take 20 (update 7)

Sarya couldn't help but gawk. Beyond the city gate they just had passed lay broad avenues of cobblestone between tall brick buildings stretching as far as her eye could see. In the distance the walls of a castle were visible, next to it a tower of red stone. It was already late in the evening but still the streets were packed with more people than Sarya had ever seen in a single spot. One of them, an old man wearing a red robe and a pointy hat, seemed to have awaited them as he approached them as soon as he saw them walking into the city...

Spoiler

23 Flamerule, 1368: 'Again we met Elminster, an old friend of my step-father Gorion. And again he talked much but said little... *sigh* ... "bred in the bone", "problems that would eventually come", "linage is harder to escape", "bad blood in thee"... what's that all supposed to mean? Why can't he speak clearly but has to indulge in hints and allusions?'

As the party hadn't rested for days and Jaheira had to renew her healing spells they went directly to the nearest inn without exploring the city any further. While everyone yearned for a bed Coran yearned for something else but Sarya felt herself up for some teasing...

Spoiler

In the morning they were approached by the gnome Brevlik who wanted to hire them to steal a telescope from the Hall of Wonders and - much to Jaheira's disapproval - Sarya agreed to the job. While exploring the city the party performed a few tasks like pickpocketing both Nephre's onyx ring and Arkion's bloodstone amulet and exchanging them for another cloak of non-detection. Also they helped Tremain Belde'ar to get his dead son's body from the Water-Queen's house earning Jaheira a new shield and they convinced Ragefast to release the captive nymph.

Later then they were warned by Marek and Lothander not to investigate the Iron Throne. A few hours later they were approached by Lothander who claimed that the party had been poisoned by Marek. Lothander provided a cure if the party helped him to remove his geas. Getting a geas removal scroll involved some running about (and some pickpocketing) but finally the party got the scroll (and Sarya got another tome to read). Unfortunately Lothander had only one half of the antidote and the other half was with Marek in the Blushing Mermaid...

Spoiler

Later then they were approached by Brielbara Coran once had an affair with. The woman revealed to the surprised Coran that he had a daughter and that the child had been cursed by Brielbara's husband Yago. To reverse the curse Coran had to find Yago's spellbook and bring it to Brielbara.

Yago was supposed to spend his nights at the Low Lantern. The Low Lantern was a ship but also a whorehouse and when the party entered Coran soon had forgotten about his daughter, the curse and even Sarya...

Spoiler

However, the "entropy" turned into ordinary violence, Vay-ya was easily killed when an invisible Desreta announced to attack Edwin. The mage tried to go invisible but it was too late...

Spoiler

Once Desreta was dead and Edwin had been raised the party continued the search for Yago and his spellbook. Unfortunately the mage didn't want to part with it so the party had to take it by force...

Spoiler

Brielbara was relieved when the party returned with the spellbook and Coran decided to stay with Sarya...

Spoiler

After killing some mustard jellies, fighting the mage Ramazith, getting the telescope from the Hall of Wonders and delivering it to Brevlik (when looking at the reward even Jaheira was pleased - much to Sarya's surprise), Coran did two jobs for Narlen Darkwalk gaining the party the respect of the thieves' guild. Also Coran had stolen the items from Oberon's Estate but when talking to Alatos and Resar for the reward they were betrayed. The problem got solved when Resar was killed by Narlen.

As it had been a long day the party decided to rest. But the tiny room was too stuffy to fall asleep...

Spoiler

When the party entered (for some unknown reason) the house of Degrodel they were attacked by the mage's guardians but dispatched them easily...

Spoiler

When asked by Degrodel to die or to help the mage with a task Sarya decided for the latter. And so the party went to Felonius Gist's house to release Vail and his comrades from their stone prison. However Vail does not want to part with the helm but rewarded Sarya with Balduran's Cloak...

Spoiler

Somehow then Sarya felt she had to look for Balduran's Helm at the Helm and Cloak Inn.

As the party was about to leave the Inn they were attacked by Gretek and his Maulers of Undermountain...

Spoiler

Finally the party investigated the Seven Suns and also the Merchant League...

Spoiler

After all these battles Sarya felt a little bit tired (or perhaps she just wanted to spend some time with Coran). In any case the party entered the Elf Song for some rest...

Spoiler

... and in the morning then...

Spoiler

For Scar had asked the party to investigate the sewers the party entered the sewers only to bump onto an Ogre Mage and some carrion crawlers...

Spoiler

While neither the Ogre Mage nor the carrion crawlers proved to be a challenge Edwin unfortunately was killed by the poison of a phase spider...

Spoiler

After reporting to Scar Sarya killed the basilisk in the warehouse and she finally got Balduran's Cloak from Quenash. Then the party rested in the 'Three Old Kegs' where Sarya learned about the second rune of Hanali...

Spoiler

After providing a solution to Areana's issues with Cyrdemac the party was attacked by Wiven and her gang when the party entered a house in the south-east section of Baldur's Gate. Once that was settled the party returned to the Flaming Fist Head Quarters and was introduced to Duke Eltan who asked them to investigate the Iron Throne...

Spoiler

As usual Sarya's investigation turned into violence and killing lots of people...

Spoiler

Once Khalid was resurrected the party reported to Duke Eltan and was send to Candlekeep to investigate the Iron Throne leaders...

Sarya: Jester(8); HP 63/70; XP 96,963; Kills 196; Kills XP 60,146; Greater Basilisk (6,000); Items (i.a.): Deep Red Ioun Stone, Elven Chain Mail, Legacy of the Master, The Amplifier, Whistling Sword+2, Protector of the Dryads+2, The Guards RIng+2, Algernon's Cloak, Greagan's Harp (Domination 3x/day)
Dorn: Blackguard(7); HP 60/70; XP 91,018; Kills 247; Kills XP 123,520; Greater Basilisk (7,000); Items (i.a.): Helmet of Charm Protection, Full Plate Mail, Xarmous's Second Sword Arm, Spider's Bane+2, Heavy Crossbow,  Ring of the Princes+1, Cloak of Balduran
Jaheira: Fighter(6)/Druid(7); HP 66+5/77+5; XP 98,606; Kills 178; Kills XP 79,500; Greater Basilisk (4,000); Items (i.a.): Helm of Balduran, Ankheg Plate Mail; Shield of the Falling Stars+1; Brawling Hands; Honorary Ring of Sune; Amulet of Spell Warding; Root of the Problem+1; Sling+1, Cloak of Protection+1
Khalid: Fighter(7); HP 75/91; XP 91,646; Kills 291; Kills XP 97,689; Battle Horror (4,000); Items: Gift of Peace, Full Plate Mail, Hands of Takkok, Ring of Princes+1, Varscona+2, Composite Longbow, Cloak of Displacement
Edwin: Conjurer(8); HP 43/48; XP 90,972; Kills 46; Kills XP 16,588; Andarthe (4,000); Items: Fragment of Enlightment, Robe of the Evil Archmagi, Quarterstaff+1, Sling of Unerring Accuray, Evermemory, Cloak of Protection+1
Coran: Fighter(6)/Thief(7); HP 47/51; XP 84,104; Kills 92; Kills XP 47,976; Davaeorn (6,000); Items: Cowl of Acuity, Shadow Armor+3, Dale's Protector, Masterbelt, Harrower+1, Dead Shot+2, Whispers of Silence, Worn Whispers

Other items (belts, boots, rings) are swapped as needed.

To be continued...

• Blackraven likes this

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

My questions: Do you guys test things at all?

I'm sure you've seen many of my runs where I've tested things - normally with fatal results :o.  I do occasionally make a named save, which is rarely used for checking something, but normally testing is done within the confines of my no-reload run.  If you have other characters in your party then using them may give you a better chance of avoiding a fatality, but that's not necessarily always the case (with scripted deaths following the wrong conversation option for instance).

• Blackraven likes this

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

I rarely do tests - but if my test is dangerous in some way, then I will use a save of a run that has already ended. I don't delete my old runs' saves, so I usually have a save somewhere that i can use for my testing.

But like Grond0, most of the time I test during the run itself, accepting whatever consequence that happens (such as a powerful cleric I had that huge stats (99?), he tried a new technique vs. Tarnor's group but didn't have resist fear up and got held by a kobold shaman and died in the end.)

• Blackraven likes this

Blackraven

Blackraven
  • Members
  • 1,377 posts

Thanks everyone for their input and useful tips like keeping old saves, or starting the game for a short session with a separate save and then quitting. Butch is gone then. I'll make a short post about him and I hope to be back soon with a new character, probably in a faster solo run though I've also been thinking of trying my hand at a first truly evil playthrough (which would very difficult for me).

Dyara, nice writing again! I liked the first paragraph and Sarya's personal contemplation. Good progress too. Keep it up and don't do anything stupid (you can leave that to me haha).

• corey_russell and Dyara like this