Photo

Baldur's Gate 1 No-Reload Challenge

• Please log in to reply
16394 replies to this topic

Blackraven

Blackraven
  • Members
  • 1,377 posts

Nice start Alesia! Blindness is great (my C/I, who like Aphril left Candlekeep today, has been using it quite often as well). 

Btw I had read Alesia's item description before, nice way of weaving in the backstory (nice name/movie too).
Would have liked to read the rest of her story as well, but I guess that's not possible. 
Good night!

Also belated condolences for Grimwald. Those ambushers are impossibly hard for a lvl 1 character/party that just wants to get to the FAI. One of them held (i.e. killed though I didn't wait for it to happen) my Dwarven Swashbuckler. I avoided them for now in my current run.
Interesting kit btw. I kitted Fade, a mod NPC in the employ of Aran Linvail, as a Vampire Hunter/Thief :)

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,558 posts

All the best and safe travels to Benoni, Aphril's crew, your Cleric/Illusuionist, Blackraven, and all others currently active here!

Myself was severely hung on following semiticgod's runs on beamdog forums as of late and I'm going to have a 2-3 long vacation on the Venice' outskirts soon so impish Face is kind of *on vacation* as well for a while. But I hope I'll be able to at least occasionally follow your runs, my friends. Have fun and take care of your PCs (AND NPCs, of course, if you are gonna to take them  - leading the Crew is a responsibility first and foremost, in my opinion. If you want meatshield - take mindless skellies or another summons, that's my point. So I'm definitely with you, Alesia and Blackraven, on the grounds of NPC' survival handling. They do die a lot in my runs on various reasons but if someone is going to be chunked I usually tend to abandon the run (at least in SoA/ToB as I nearly always run the very same Crew there and all of them are kind of irreplaceable)).

And I'm surely all with others on your so-called *no-reloader poorness*, Blackraven. You've made a number of wonderful runs and all of them were a great pleasure to follow. You've already made it through the BG1, SoA and into the ToB and the fact that you not made it all the way to the end as of yet doesn't mean you are *poor no-reloader* in the slightest. Keep on going and you'll be the one successful, of that I'm sure!

• Alesia_BH and Grimwald the Wise like this

Blackraven

Blackraven
  • Members
  • 1,377 posts

Thanks for your nice words and best wishes Serg! I didn't know chunkings tend to mean the end of your runs. Very interesting. I'm not sure whether I would go that far myself, but I like it.

For now enjoy your vacation in and around Venice! :D

• Serg BlackStrider and Grimwald the Wise like this

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,558 posts

Thanks for your nice words and best wishes Serg! I didn't know chunkings tend to mean the end of your runs. Very interesting. I'm not sure whether I would go that far myself, but I like it.

You know, I was even going to end the Avatar's run when Cassia was chunked in Sphere of Chaos in the Underdark (I'm dreaded with that spell since then...). That run was particularly special for me as they were not just NPCs in my Crew, there were my friends *behind* them so keeping them full and well was extremely important... Cassia's chunking was a real shock as I was pretty sure she is safe with her 100% MR... I sat staring at the screen and could not believe what just happened. In my mind the run was doomed, we started as a Crew and we had to finish as a Crew. That were my intentions. And with Cassia gone I thought as if I failed them. Eventually we met Corey the Undead Hunter and were succeeded in the end but Cassia was always in our memory if not by our side and I'm pretty sure that much of the success was due to this increased concern about each and every Crew member.

For now enjoy your vacation in and around Venice! :D

This will be only in a week but thanks anyway!  :)

• Alesia_BH, Grimwald the Wise and Blackraven like this

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

Enjoy your vacation, Serg!

Best,

A.

• Serg BlackStrider and Grimwald the Wise like this

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts

Enjoy your vacation, Serg!

Best,

A.

Same here. Have a good time. :)  It wouldn't be my scene. A couple of days seeing the art would be fine, but after that I would want to be up in the Dolomites or the Alps. Each to his taste though. I'm just glad that so many people want to go to Tenerife, Benidorm, Ibiza, Magaluf and the like. It means that it is quieter in the places that I want to visit. :)

• Serg BlackStrider likes this

Epsil0

Epsil0
  • Members
  • 208 posts

Interesting, Alesia: are your spell picks for your sorceresses going to be exactly the same throughout? The double MI surprised me a little bit this early, since I would've chosen Web as at least one of the 4 level 2 spells, and MI is giving, what, 3 clones at this level? Is the miss chance worth not being able to disable large groups at once?

Have fun at Venice, Serg!

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

Interesting, Alesia: are your spell picks for your sorceresses going to be exactly the same throughout? 

No. They won't. Later in the adventure, Adara, who won't be wearing Vecna, will be Aphril's assistant. She'll be pre-buffing the party with long duration specific protections, managing the teleport field, power wording dangerous enemies, wishing, and firing spells into Aphril's spell trap. Something like that anyways. I haven't finalized my decision.

The double MI surprised me a little bit this early, since I would've chosen Web as at least one of the 4 level 2 spells, and MI is giving, what, 3 clones at this level? Is the miss chance worth not being able to disable large groups at once?

The double MIs surprised me too. As a matter of fact, I wasn't aware until you mentioned it...(In other words it's a typo)

I copied and pasted Aphil's list without editing it, apparently. In truth, Adara was, at that time, one level behind Aphril. Adara only had one L2 then.

Adara just got her second L2 in Cloakwood Area 2. She took Web. It was a tough call though, actually.

It's worth remembering that I'm playing on insane. At the Bandit Camp, an enemy arrow did 46 damage, one hit nixing level 6 Rasaad. Adara has far fewer hit points than Rasaad. Reducing the probability of a one hit nix from 1/20 to 1/60 is nice.

It's also worth noting that I'm seriously un-fond of lobbing AoE spells from outside of sight range. And when would I be most likely to cast Web if not when facing multiple archers? With that in mind, taking MI before Web makes sense: If Adara is going to be casting spells in the presence of archers, she should probably be running MI. 

I did go with Web in Adara's book, but I'm not super enthused with that decision. If Adara has Web and not MI, that will probably nudge me into doing something I find un-fun. Specifically, lobbing webs from outside of enemy sight range. There is a significant chance that that spell will see little use in the near term.

Anyhoo. Thanks for your interest, Epsil0!

Best,

A.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

Aphril, Elven Sorcerer: Nashkel Mines to Bandit Camp

Screen%20Shot%202015-06-24%20at%202.09.1

Good news everyone. Aphril and Co have rid the Sword Coast of its bandit scourge. They're halfway through the Cloakwood, in fact. Davaeorn awaits.

So: The camp. This got a little ugly. Aphril was never in danger, but her buddy-wuds took a beating on account of four very painful pointy things. Rasaad and Branwen were both killed in an instant. Imoen nearly joined them.

I should probably cover Nimbul and Tranzig first.

Nimbul went quietly: very quietly. He never said a word: Silence (Branwen)->backstab (Imoen)-> MMx2 (Aphril and Adara)

Spoiler

Following Nimbul's fall, Rasaad joined Aphril's squad. His Sun Soul Ray helped insure that Tranzig would also fall without a peep.

Spoiler

Finally, the Camp.

The plan here was to stealth into the tent and then have Imoen, Rasaad and Branwen take down the leaders with Potions of Explosions while protected from fire damage. Imoen took her protection via Protection from Fire (green scroll) + Potion of Fire Resistance. Rasaad took his via a Protection from Fire (blue scroll) cast by Adara. Branwen covered herself with Protection from Fire + Resist Fire/Cold.

Naturally, Venkt went first. Backstab (Imoen)-> Sun Soul Ray (Rasaad)->Potion of Explosion (Branwen)->Melee (Rassad)

Spoiler

Venkt was followed quickly by Rasaad. And yes, I said that correctly: Rasaad. He was one hit nixed by a 46 hitpoint Arrow of Ice. Chilling.

Screen%20Shot%202015-06-24%20at%2011.50.

An instant later, two more critical arrows dropped Branwen. Certain victory was beginning to look like a possible defeat. Happily though, Branwen managed to discharge her Potion of Explosion before falling, leaving Imoen with only one enemy to face: Hakt.

Imoen, who was wearing the Boots of Avoidance and running Shield, was winning the range duel, but damn: those critical arrow hurt!

Spoiler

There wasn't much Adara or Aphril could do since a single arrow could kill them in an instant. Nonetheless, Adara came to Imoen's aid, assuring victory.

Screen%20Shot%202015-06-24%20at%2011.55.

I'll post on the Cloakwood soon.

Best,

A.

• Serg BlackStrider, Grimwald the Wise and Blackraven like this

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

Quick Note on Aphril's Game

Ok. Aphril has defeated Davaeorn. But before that happened, this happened:

Screen%20Shot%202015-06-24%20at%206.02.4

Davaeorn targeted invisible Imoen with a Fireball. It did 86 damage, killing her permanently. Were it any other character, I wouldn't mind, but since it's Imoen it creates a continuity problem.

On top of that, I have, for the first time ever, invested in Ajantis's development, and I absolutely hate his "Yeah!" selection sound. It's driving me insane.

I haven't decide how I'm going to proceed, but as of now I'm inclined to send Aphril back to Candlekeep. I'll let everyone know.

Best,

A.

• Golden28 likes this

Blackraven

Blackraven
  • Members
  • 1,377 posts

Ouch, that must have hurt :(
I'm sure Imoen will of course release Aphril from her cell in chateau Irenicus as if nothing happened in the Cloakwod Mines, but I'd understand it if you restarted for a more sensible experience of the story. Good luck deciding Alesia.  

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

Ouch, that must have hurt  :(

Yeah. We had drawn out Davaeorn's Divination cast and disarmed the traps. Imoen was trying to reveal the hidden Davaeorn by using Detect Illusions. Detect Illusions was taking too long, so I decided to have Rasaad trigger Davaeorn's script. Predictably, Davaeorn pulled his Web/Stinking Cloud Minor Sequencer. 

Imoen failed her save v death and fell unconscious. I wasn't concerned, since she was still invisible, but then the Fireball (or Sunfire) hit. No more Imoen.

Anyhoo. Kudos to him. He played his hand well, at least in the opening.

Ouch, that must have hurt :(
I'm sure Imoen will of course release Aphril from her cell in chateau Irenicus as if nothing happened in the Cloakwod Mines, but I'd understand it if you restarted for a more sensible experience of the story. Good luck deciding Alesia.  

Yes. And I suppose I could RP it by saying that Imoen was seriously injured, forcing her to spend the remainder of BG1 recuperating. It wouldn't really feel right though.

The other issue is that I learned a lot in that run. Aphril and friends could do it much better and cleaner in a second go.

Plus, OMG: Ajantis. He's awful. Not awful as in incompetent: awful as in crawling-up-the-walls-insane annoying. I find most of the male NPCs extremely irritating. Valygar I can handle. Cernd I can handle. Haer'Daelis I kind of like. Yoshimo is tolerable, and Rasaad, surprisingly, isn't so bad. Kivan is ok, too. The rest of them: kill me now. Ajantis is the worst, I think. I'd rather bring someone else along.

I've actually redone the early game already. Aphril and friends are almost ready for Mulahey. To date, this run has been a lot cleaner, as expected.

I'm kind of sleepy right now, but I'll bring everyone up to date on the new run tomorrow.

Best,

A. 

• Serg BlackStrider and Blackraven like this

Blackraven

Blackraven
  • Members
  • 1,377 posts

Me sleepy too. Hope to do an installment myself tomorrow.
Glad that you enjoy your new game better, as in better tactics and nicer NPCs. (Personally I have few NPCs I dislike, male or female. Not fond of Korgan, Edwin, Tiax Keldorn, Jaheira and Minsc. Indeed more males than females, but then there are more male NPCs overall. Ajantis's soundset is a bit trying, but the BG1 friendship mod I'm playing with, makes his presence in my current party more agreeable.)

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,558 posts

Ok. Aphril has defeated Davaeorn. But before that happened, this happened:

Wow, that's just insane! Poor Imoen... I strongly support your decision not to abandon her and restart - it wouldn't take too long for you to catch up with the recent progress.

As for NPCs, I can't comment on Ajantis since I never took him (or Keldorn) as I'm generally avoiding Paladins (Mazzy is kind of but she is another story). I can't stay too long with Minsc (only take him to save Dynaheir and make the run for it as quickly as possible. And bring him out of Irenicus' dungeon for some extra inventory space). Never had Edwin (only join him once to see what is it his famed amulet looks like), Tiax, Quayle or other late game NPCs. Have a run with Korgan once but then realized that I love Mazzy much more. Eventually, I came to the team I stick with since then and they are all ladies...  :) I wish I have a spare slot for Valygar but... you know.

• Alesia_BH and Blackraven like this

Golden28

Golden28
  • Members
  • 277 posts

Hmm tough, Alesia. Good luck with the next.  

Hmm am I the only one here who actually likes all the npc's? I mean sure in bg they have less personality but they are still well built i.m.o., even that annoying evil bard has his own unique character.

As to bg2, wow, all of them have great stories and personalities. The only one I find a bit boring is Cernd.. but still.. I mean it does depend on the type of pc you are playing but they can all be fun and easy-to-roleplay-with npc's I think..

Cheers!

SuperNovice007

SuperNovice007
  • Members
  • 12 posts

After a 5 year (or so) absence, I'm going to take a shot at this again. Only had time to install BGTutu with Hardtime, Unfinished Business, and SCS tonight. I'll be rolling up the character tomorrow and will post name, stats, etc.

I'm debating recording my progress in more of a "Let's Play" style video than a post. I'm assuming that's still within the rules but is that something anyone would want to view?

• Blackraven likes this

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,558 posts

@SuperNovice007:

Personally I'm not against watching some *Let's Play* but I'm only interesting in SCS modded runs. There are number I've already followed (Silent Let's play BG2 (insane+tactics/scsii mods) by zur312 from Beamdog forums, Sword Coast Stratagems for BG1Tutu / EasyTutu (and SoA) Walkthrough by David Milward, Let's Play Baldur's Gate 2 - Shadows of Amn: hard consequences, no shopping, roleplay run with mods and "insane" difficulty by Pathrogas/Stworca), Alesia had a number of videos of some key/fun battles (regrettably they a gone and unavailable to watch at the moment) and always had great fun to watch Stworca's videos - they are just hilarious.

Anyway, welcome to the new forums and all the best with you run!

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

Hmm tough, Alesia. Good luck with the next.  

No worries. I could have played through it, of course, but, I prefer to maintain the integrity of the narrative.

Double damage is pretty unforgiving in BG1. 

Hmm am I the only one here who actually likes all the npc's? I mean sure in bg they have less personality but they are still well built i.m.o., even that annoying evil bard has his own unique character.

I've grown to like many of them by virtue of having spent time with them. And I recognizes that Baldur's Gate II was highly innovative in permitting significant PC/NPC interaction. That said, some of the NPCs in BG1 could have benefitted from additional attention.

Consider Safana, Skie, Eldoth, and Coran, who are all based on cliche, sexist tropes. Politics aside, the quality of story crafting in these cases was not commensurate with that of the larger narrative. Ajantis just has an annoying sound set.

Power wise, I have no complaints: they're fine. There's plenty of material to work with. 

Best,

A.

• Golden28 likes this

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

After a 5 year (or so) absence, I'm going to take a shot at this again. Only had time to install BGTutu with Hardtime, Unfinished Business, and SCS tonight. I'll be rolling up the character tomorrow and will post name, stats, etc.

I'm debating recording my progress in more of a "Let's Play" style video than a post. I'm assuming that's still within the rules but is that something anyone would want to view?

Sounds great SuperNovice007! 

So long as you remain true to the spirit of the challenge, you can share your adventure in any style you wish. Have fun! We're glad to have you with us.

Best,

A.

• Golden28 likes this

Aasim

Aasim
  • Members
  • 1,361 posts

I'm finally back to BG world after some RL education business. GL to all particiapns; I hope I'll find enough time to catch up with games in progress. Aynhow, here's my new run:

Weidu:

Spoiler

In short, BGT/Ascension/Questpack/SCS/aTweaks. One "mod" (rather, tweak) not listed is edited itemexcl.2da file; namely I allow magic armor and magic ringsto be worn together. (example: I can wear Full plate +1 and Ring +2, but I cannot wear Full plate, +2 Ring and a +1 Cloak). It shouldn't matter much, since I generally won't be using much +x equipment anyway.

This run is w/o Revisions or Refinements. While I do love all those mods, playing w/o them should make the game quite a bit easier in the long run. 

As per aTweaks, I'll use the "hardest" setting (SCS hitpoints + aTweaks abilities); I'll allow Gating, I won't allow Ethereall escape for them (too annoying for me).

Other rules:

- no Simularcum; Mislead or PI spells

- no cloud-type spells (there is one fight I'll use them, if we get that far - Sarevok in BG1)

- I'm torn on Wish spell usage. We'll see. I fear I might have not enough punch late game w/o it. :(

- this is a "themed" run. We'll focus on summons. Namely, demonic summons. :) If we get that far. This is likely gonna be fairly unbalancing, but quite fun. :D

Anyhow - these are the protagonist(s):

My dwarven avatar; Malmuira Ash. Her name is (at least Dwarven name generator says so) made from my own.

She's a fighter-cleric multiclass. Specializes in slings and flails, followed by maces.

1_zps8yrjpjcz.jpg

Her arcanist backup - Kethis. She's a sorcerer. Her 1st picks are Pro Petrification and Magic Missile. This is a mistake, since I should have picked Sleep. Ah well, she'll pick it up at level 3.

2_zpseyhulm7q.jpg

Anyways, to game. We start of slowly, doing Beregost quests, Joia's ring, and still at level 1, visit Ankheg Farm. Ankhegs have the possibitly of one-shot killing Malmuira, hence I kill the fisherman, and avoid them by traveling near the lake; up to the north side of the map. There I deal with Tenya.

3_zpsxacolceb.jpg

This was enough to level up my sorceress to level 3 after killing a lone Ankheg just north of Tenya's hut. She picks Sleep. With that online, Ankhegs (and indeed, most other enemies) are a joke.

4_zps02crsnhi.jpg

We clear the whole cave. With Wand of Fire, only the sky's the limit now. We do Bassilus first. I don't use ToBex "concentration check for disrtuption", so enemy clerics generally won't get a single spell to cast under spell fire. He also got Silenced to boot, just to be on the safe side.

5_zpst7470vjm.jpg

6_zpssm37lh7g.jpg

All minor encounters are solved with Sleep. 

7_zpso5upkybc.jpg

I decided to kill Dushai, her Ring is invaluable, since it allows for much more relaxed gamplay. But doing so made the village hostile. One of the inhabitants got into the inn there. He will cause a "chain hostility" reaction. There's no items there we "need" to buy, but they're fairly convinient to have.

8_zpskixck6pa.jpg

Since I'll have only a single shopping attempt there, I ramp up some minor stuff (Bassil reward, selling equipment etc.)

9_zpsspzlqvs3.jpg

and return to the inn. Prior to that, I make both my ladies invisible. This makes the villagers ignore us for now, and we buy Greenstone, Ring of Invisibility and Displacement Cloak. What money I had left I spent on +2 bullets.

10_zpseh65arfa.jpg

When shopping is done, all village goes insane on us. The most persistent one died.

11_zpsn6mww8bq.jpg

Now, with Full Plate, +1 sling, we buy a Green (this is important) scroll of Pro Petrify. SCS Basilisks work so that they "detect" mage spell and try to bite, but ignore green scroll alltogehter. This allows me to gain a +4 THAC0/damage bonus in melee since they still use "ranged" weapon. I'm very careful with Mutamin, and kill him with bullets.

12_zpswd4hvhth.jpg

Rest of basilisks are harmless, and easilly taken care of. I ignored the amazons/mercenaries there alltogether.

Currently, we're on top of Durlag's Tower, killing the three basilisks there  - ghouls inside were melee whacked, while harder targets were scorched. 

13_zpsk6dcvqdu.jpg

I'll continue soon.

• Blackraven and Golden28 like this

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,558 posts

Safe travels for your duo, Aasim!

• Blackraven likes this

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Aasim, good luck to your run! Looks fun. BTW, in my opinion, your level 1 spell picks for your sorcerer were not a mistake - High Hedge has a sleep wand for not too much gold, has good amount of charges (50 I think), and if needed can be recharged for a reasonable price, unlike fire wands, etc.

• Aasim likes this

Aasim

Aasim
  • Members
  • 1,361 posts

Thanks guys. @Corey - good thinking....ah well - I'll remember it for the next time. 

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

Best of luck, Aasim! Glad to see you back in action!

BTW, in my opinion, your level 1 spell picks for your sorcerer were not a mistake - High Hedge has a sleep wand for not too much gold, has good amount of charges (50 I think), and if needed can be recharged for a reasonable price, unlike fire wands, etc.

Agreed. I never pick Sleep. Picking Blindness for use against powerful enemies and using the Wand of Sleep against groups of lesser enemies makes more sense to me than picking Sleep. It's better in the near term and the long run. The only exception is very early BG, pre-gold/High Hedge.

Sans EE the wand has 40 charges. With EE it has 20. In either case, the cost per charge is less than 100 gold, baring poor charisma/rep. 

Importantly, the wand can be used by any class so it can be activated without crowding out an arcane spell or wand activation. Early in the game, when Sleep is most useful, the wand version has a longer duration than the arcane version.

I also don't see any reason to pick Protection from Petrification. Thalantyr sells Potions of Mirror Eyes and two Protection from Petrification scrolls. Those items, combined with the Pro Pet green scroll at the Carnival, are more than enough to take down the pre-Sorceress Sundries basilisks, including the ones atop Durlag's Tower. 

Best,

A.

Btw. Aphril and friends have made it back to the Cloakwood. As expected, this run was much cleaner. No deaths or serious injuries so far. Still on Insane. I'll post soon.

• Blackraven likes this

Aasim

Aasim
  • Members
  • 1,361 posts

Heh...the thing is - I haven't played sans Revisions in a long, long while. I'm simply not used to vanilla spells. But vanilla Blindness is indeed nuts for it's level. :P

Why Insane difficulty, Alesia? I would kind of understand (and probably use it as well) if it made some "real" changes like number of enemies, their HP/THAC0 etc. But double damage?! I know it should't matter for high-end sorcerers, but still....

I'd hate to see a fireball doing twice the damage on my own people than it does to enemies (that's a fiery ADHW basically :D ).

I like that enemies (and my PCs) oblige the same rules....

• Golden28 likes this