Baldur's Gate 1 No-Reload Challenge

• Please log in to reply
16394 replies to this topic

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

@Epsilo. Condolences. :(

For what it's worth, I appreciated your playing style in this run. It was refreshing.

I sympathize with your view on fair play and difficulty. Fair play levels the playing field: it evens the odds. With even vaguely even odds in each encounter, death is assured across multiple encounters.

We all stack the deck in our favor in one way or another. The trick is to find the right balance between fairness, fun, and efficacy. That's the true challenge of no reloading: striking a balance that works for you. It's more art than sport, in my view.

I think Rhapsodian's run showed promise. And I agree that limiting enemy pre-buffing might be wise, given your approach. I hope you'll try it again!

Best,

A.

• Serg BlackStrider likes this

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Phantasmic 6 {12} - monks party (update 2)

The monks went straight from Ulgoth's Beard to Durlag's Tower and took their 5th level when the Wand of the Heavens blasted the first battle horror.  After a poor start an excellent set of rolls this time boosted them to only slightly below average overall.

More battle horrors, ghasts, dopplegangers and basilisks at Durlag's Tower provided a rich XP harvest to add to the tome recovered.  They also did the high value encounters at the Valley of the Tombs - melee weapons being used for the first time there against the Revenant #
Spoiler
- though I didn't give Narcillicus the chance to summon mustard jellies as they would be potentially dangerous.  

The lighthouse area offered plenty more XP and the monks then finished off the last group of sirines to the north of that - making use of the wand of sleep there to short-cut dealing with the ogre clan.

Mulahey was too stunned to talk and his death got the last of the monks up to level 6
Spoiler
- and an appalling set of rolls put them well below average again.

Nimbul, Tranzig and Silke were all stunned before they made their way to the Bandit Camp courtesy of Teven.  Tazok actually dodged well to slip through the closing net this time, but hestitated as he reached a belt of trees and was captured.  
Spoiler
Once more they all used shield at the Camp along with a few charges from the Wand of Sleep and triumphed without needing to run away.  

After resting to heal and doing some very basic looting of the Camp they sorted out equipment and headed for the Cloakwood.  They killed anything that got in their way there (including in the ambushes), but otherwise left things in peace as they moved on to the mine.  A single fireball and a pair of Wand of Heaven blasts killed the mages.  Spirit then took Drasus for a run while the others ganged up on Genthore before coming to help her.
Spoiler

They stealthed past most of Hareishan's guards, but then took a beating by the guards on the next level.  
Spoiler
Rather than try to stealth back up though they pressed on, with the help of a regeneration potion for Spectre.  Spectre then used a scroll of PFM and several potions to solo Davaeorn while the others hid using stealth or invisibility potions.  
Spoiler
They paid for healing at the FAI temple (still trying not to use any healing potions) before moving on to Baldur's Gate and purchasing wands all round together with a few choice potions.  Before resting they then went to kill a couple of innocents in order to successfully get horror as a Bhaal power this time.

Chimera - L6, 34 HPs, 79 kills
Spectre - L6, 42 HPs, 144 kills, 0 deaths
Phantom - L6, 45 HPs, 68 kills, 0 deaths
Wraith - L6, 33 HPs, 72 kills, 1 deaths
Spook - L6, 40 HPs, 77 kills, 0 deaths
Spirit - L6, 46 HPs, 60 kills, 0 deaths

• Alesia_BH, ussnorway, Serg BlackStrider and 1 other like this

realmuzzy

realmuzzy
  • Members
  • 133 posts

@Epsil0 I think managing the balance between playing fair with SCS and ensuring victory is an art everyone here is trying to master.

Speaking of, most SCS scripted creatures will have their scripts fire a good 2 seconds after you encounter them (on my EE game, it actually seems like a second longer than on my GOG game). If you leisurely retreat right after the autopause you still guarantee yourself the first move, if you stay you guarantee the ai gets the first move which is often a dispel/disable. What do you do?

@Blackraven Great update on Isa. Rijkar is not a character I can cheer for in the same way I'd cheer for Isa or Aliira, which might contribute to an early death. I hope it doesn't!

• Blackraven likes this

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Phantasmic 6 {12} - monks party (update 3)

In the city they started off by getting the ogre gauntlets (handy for opening doors).  A basilisk, 2 necklaces of missiles and a couple of tomes later they were closing in on level 7.  During that sequence the monks also unintentionally annoyed Entillis Fulsom and he became the first victim of massed wand blasts.  
Spoiler
They also deliberately killed Degrodel and his guards (largely with wand blasts) as a rich source of XP. 

I thought taking out the Seven Suns would get them their level, but was just looking for a tavern to rest and heal a little bit of damage first.  Unfortunately, I chose the tavern with Phandalyn in and he detected the taint of evil in the party and attacked.  That should have been no trouble, but for some reason one of the monks attacked a peasant during the fight rather than Phandalyn without me noticing - and with one down, others went hostile and 2 more died in the blink of an eye, dropping the monks reputation down to 1.   

Before leaving the tavern I perhaps should have had everyone take an invisibility potion because phenomenal numbers of Flaming Fist started spawning immediately.  I tried to run away from them, but had to spread the group out to avoid danger from a confusion spell and an invisible scout took the opportunity to one-shot Spook.
Spoiler
Invisibility potions were then belatedly used to pick up equipment and leave the area.  A temple helped restore life and reputation.  A trip to the sewers, while sorting out Arkion and Nemphre, then got the XP needed for level 7.
Spoiler

Back at the SE area the Flaming Fist death squads had gone back to their barracks so the monks completed the Seven Suns before moving on to the Iron Throne.  The opening fireball attack went to plan there, but I then carelessly didn't notice a pathfinding glitch with Phantom until too late - putting him under Gardush's swords.  He took a last second invisibility potion, but unfortunately a fatal attack had already been launched.
Spoiler

After a trip to the temple the monks came back to finish off the remaining enemies before going to report to Duke Eltan. He was quite happy to be helped - even by criminals - and retained their services for further duty in Candlekeep.
Eltan_zpsiknceuzd.jpg
By that time I was getting to the stage where I couldn't resist taking risks and attacked the ogre mages en masse with fists.  That proved (predictably) to be dangerous with only one of the ogre mages being stunned.  Chimera had already had to retreat after being hit by a 32 HP critical and several others had been severely damaged when Wraith was killed by another critical (just as the monks finally decided the time had come to try and wand the remaining enemies).
Spoiler

After getting the party back together at the temple (and also raising reputation back up after resting to get vampiric touch), the monks went into the library and killed the Iron Throne leaders.  They've just arrived in the catacombs.

Chimera - L7, 44 HPs, 87 kills
Spectre - L7, 50 HPs, 176 kills, 0 deaths
Phantom - L7, 55 HPs, 92 kills, 1 death
Wraith - L7, 36 HPs, 90 kills, 2 deaths
Spook - L7, 44 HPs, 91 kills, 1 death
Spirit - L7, 50 HPs, 78 kills, 0 deaths

• Alesia_BH, ussnorway, Serg BlackStrider and 2 others like this

realmuzzy

realmuzzy
  • Members
  • 133 posts

After his disastrous trip to Candlekeep, Rijkar slowly makes his way back to Baldur's Gate. He wants to feel like he's one with the forest again, to hunt his own food, to feel the fear and respect an alpha predator like himself commands in the wild. At the same time he's forming a plan. He now knows that Sarevok is the man responsible for the killing of Gorion and most of the opposition he's encountered so far. Sarevok is his final catch.

When he returns to Baldur's Gate he stays in the shadows, fully aware of his fugitive status. A woman named Tamoko approaches him but Rijkar is a practical man and has no patience for her riddles. He finds Duke Eltan, kills the doppleganger poisoning him and drops him off with the harbormaster. Now he knows there are assassins hired by Sarevok who are waiting in the Undercellars and who are literally his ticket into the palace.

He summons his pack, applies all the battle oils, paints and prayers to himself and his animals, and attacks.

Spoiler

All illusions and falsehoods are revealed under Malar's all-seeing eye, which sends the assassins into panic as they don't even try to remove Rijkar's defenses. The mage, who may have tried to dispel the animals out of sight, is having particular trouble dealing with the elemental resistant creatures.

Spoiler

Hunted down without mercy, both assassins fall to the claws of the lion

Spoiler

With the palace tickets under his belt, Rijkar rests for a short while before going to stop the coronation. The guards are confused by the throng of forest creatures entering the palace, but dare not object.

Spoiler

When he reaches the main hall Rijkar discovers that dopplegangers have completely taken over the ceremony and in response summons all the ants, flies, cockroaches, and other insects hiding in the building and sets them on the intruders

Spoiler

together with true seeing this completely counters the doppleganger assault and they are routed. Sarevok is forced to flee

Spoiler

Chasing the fleeing prey is what gets Rijkar's heart pumping, and with excitement and joy he sets off to find the place of their final confrontation. He uses invisibility to conserve his precious resources all the way to the underground temple of Bhaal. There he easily dispatches Tamoko before stopping for a final rest and prayer.

This is it, either he will burn the blood of dying Sarevok with his fiery sword or he will be the one on the ground. It's nature's way.

Spoiler

Sarevok's allies are determined to dispel his protections

Spoiler

He is well stocked though and retreats into a corner to reapply all of them. He returns with a dispel that gets Sarevok's haste

Spoiler

and burns down all the enemies with fireballs and flame strikes

Spoiler

Unfortunately all of the servants rise as undead to help Sarevok, but Rijkar is protected and after proclaiming Sarevok as his sacred target according to druid rites he kills him

Spoiler

• Alesia_BH, ussnorway and Blackraven like this

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

Nice work realmuzzy - I'll be expecting further triumphs of nature in BG2!

• Blackraven likes this

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

Nice work, Real Muzzy! That was an excellent BG1 run: well written and well played.

Best,

A.

• Blackraven likes this

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,558 posts

Well done, realmuzzy! Keep on rocking in Amn!

• Blackraven likes this

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

Btw. Real Muzzy, there is a player on the Beamdog forums named Bengoshi who is currently working on a totemic druid solo. You may want to check out his thread: it could help you prepare for BG2. 

You may also want to check out Enuhal's 2011 totemic druid solo in this forum.

Good hunting!

Best,

A. 

Blackraven

Blackraven
  • Members
  • 1,377 posts

@Grond0, good progress, stay focused.

@RM, I think Rijkar is an interesting character and am looking forward to his reaction to the mostly unnatural environs he'll find himself in in Amn. COngratulations on making it there! (I do understand what you're saying. I also do no not connect equally well with each character. Glad you like Isadora though :) )

@Alesia a few days back you posted on your completion of BG1 with a Monk character, and asked us whether we'd like you to share her tale. I'm interested, though I'd be even more interested if you took her into BG2 as well.

• Alesia_BH and realmuzzy like this

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

@Alesia a few days back you posted on your completion of BG1 with a Monk character, and asked us whether we'd like you to share her tale. I'm interested, though I'd be even more interested if you took her into BG2 as well.

Thank you for your interest. My monk, Alikae, follower of Shar, is alive and well in Amn. I had rolled her simply to get some perspective on Grond0's runs, but I was pleasantly surprised to find that I enjoyed the monk playing style. I'm now tempted to post on her and see her run through, much as I ended up doing with Arkona.

Part of me wants to share. But another part of me wants to hold off for now. Alikae is not a fully developed character, and I prefer runs where there is at least some hint of role playing. The other issue is that I kind of want to start a new run in which Alikae will duoing with Rasaad (as sort of a Dark Moon Heresy team) or in the alternative with Viconia. I'm afraid that if I post on Alikae now, I may tire of her and then fail to followl through on my more ambitious plans (as I did with Arkona).

We'll see. Her run has been fun. Sharing kind of makes sense.

Best,

A.

Btw. Here's Alikae's current character record, for the curious

Spoiler

• Blackraven likes this

Blackraven

Blackraven
  • Members
  • 1,377 posts

@Alesia, nice. I rolled a Dark Moon Monk myself (interesting kit thanks to defensive spells), but went with Isa the Swashie because I'd stand a better chance of making it somewhere into Amn with her. I understand yor reservations. maybe it's better to wait then.

• Alesia_BH likes this

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

@Alesia, nice. I rolled a Dark Moon Monk myself (interesting kit thanks to defensive spells)

Agreed. The illusionary buffs even out the power curve: dark moon monks are capable performers in BG1 and early BG2. 

One of the reasons I've avoided monks over the years is that the class has always felt incomplete to me. With the Oversight HLAs and the Enhanced Edition kits, the monk class would become a complete, compelling alternative.

I'd love to be able to install the Oversight HLAs in EE, but my understanding is that they aren't fully available. I saw a mod, which purported to achieve this end, but it appears to be a work in progress, from what I've read. Have you heard any news on this?

but went with Isa the Swashie because I'd stand a better chance of making it somewhere into Amn with her. 

Understood. I kind of see it the other way, actually. Alikae has been capable throughout her adventure, but I question her ability to finish.

The consensus view of monks is that they're weird fighters who are week in the early game, but oddly powerful in ToB. I'm inclined to see them as weird thieves, who turn into weird fighters(*), and who are powerful throughout the adventure except in ToB- at least in SCS/Ascesnion installs. I'm not at all sold on monks as endgame power builds.

A swaskbuckler, in contrast, should be an excellent finisher. 

Monk and swashbucklers are both capable mid-to low-mid tier builds in BG1, I'd say.

I understand yor reservations. maybe it's better to wait then.

It's a tough call. The early parts of Alikae's run were sloppy and exploratory, but Alikae has had some nice quests recently. I'm tempted to post on her now. We'll see.

Best,

A

(*) With the Oversight HLAs, they become something other than weird fighters in the endgame: they become a unique class, offering an distinctive playing style.

• Blackraven and realmuzzy like this

realmuzzy

realmuzzy
  • Members
  • 133 posts

Thanks everyone!

@Alesia What an impressive run by Enuhal. Good thing to know there's somewhere to turn if I get stumped coming up with strategies. Also, I'm looking forward to getting to know Alikae when you feel you're ready. Worshippers of Shar are a great rp opportunity.

• Alesia_BH likes this

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

@Alesia What an impressive run by Enuhal. 

Yes. He's the first one who demonstrated the power of the spirit animals, and the potential of the totemic druid kit in general.

Players often tell me that my bounty hunter run opened their eyes regarding the bounty hunter kit. Whatever my run did for the bounty hunter, Enuhal's run did for the totemic druid.

For another perspective, check out Bengoshi's run over at Beamdog. Bengoshi has read Enuhal and elaborated on many of his strategies.

Good thing to know there's somewhere to turn if I get stumped coming up with strategies. 

Absolutely. There's no shame in leveraging the insights of ones peers. Excellence comes from synthesis, integration, and elaboration.

I like the way Picasso put it: "A good artist borrows, a great artist steals." Try to be a master thief. 

Worshippers of Shar are a great rp opportunity.

Probably, yes. I don't really understand Shar yet. Do you know of a good reference?

Best,

A.

• realmuzzy likes this

realmuzzy

realmuzzy
  • Members
  • 133 posts

Probably, yes. I don't really understand Shar yet. Do you know of a good reference?

Best,

A.

Not really, I mainly know her from the sourcebooks. In the novels she tends to be worshipped by all-out villains, since Shar has become the big villain deity since 3e. I think this sidelines the more interesting N part of her worshippers who are regular/good people turned to bitterness and nihilism by a great loss or hurt.

Blackraven

Blackraven
  • Members
  • 1,377 posts

(*) With the Oversight HLAs, they become something other than weird fighters in the endgame: they become a unique class, offering an distinctive playing style.

Yes, I always had the Oversight Monk HLAs in my BGT installs but never actually got to play with them. I don't think they work for BG2EE though. Between the two I'd think I prefer a kitless Monk with Oversight HLAs over BGEE Monk kit with fighter HLAs.

Epsil0

Epsil0
  • Members
  • 208 posts

I was just looking at this today; I THINK someone's ported the Oversight HLAs, though the latest comments seems to indicate that there's at least text issues with the port, and I have no idea if the mechanics are functioning correctly.

https://forums.beamd...d-monk-overhaul

• Blackraven likes this

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

Not really, I mainly know her from the sourcebooks. 

Noted. I've read a few blurbs on line. I get the general idea of Shar, but I don't have an intuitive feel for her or her followers. The characterizations haven't come to life for me yet.

In the novels she tends to be worshipped by all-out villains, since Shar has become the big villain deity since 3e. I think this sidelines the more interesting N part of her worshippers who are regular/good people turned to bitterness and nihilism by a great loss or hurt.

Understood.

I had a thought on Alikae that interests me. Cernd's werewolf tokens are useable by anyone. I wouldn't want anyone other than Cernd to make tactical use of them, since that's clearly exploit, but they do have RP potential for a dark moon monk.

I'm imagining Alikae becoming infected with lyncanthrope on the BG1 werewolf island. I'm imagining the infection deepening Alikae's relationship with Shar, as she, Alikae, becomes increasingly fascinated with night. Alikae's evolving relationship with Shar -as well as her struggle with the dual taints of Bhaal and lycanthrope- could become interesting.

The theory that lycanthrope was created by Selune could also be leveraged in a dark moon heresy story line. Perhaps lycanthrope could lead Alikae to both Shar and Selune?

It's an interesting idea. Of course, the last time planned an RP narrative with a character (Arcadia) the writing quickly became burdensome (I abandoned the RP journals at the Friendly Arm Inn). Still: I've alway wanted to complete a fully RPed, narrative play through. Alikae isn't as interesting as Arcadia yet, but she has potential.

Best,

A. 

• Blackraven and realmuzzy like this

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

I was just looking at this today; I THINK someone's ported the Oversight HLAs, though the latest comments seems to indicate that there's at least text issues with the port, and I have no idea if the mechanics are functioning correctly.

https://forums.beamd...d-monk-overhaul

Yes. I saw that thread.

That's the mod that looks unfinished to me, at least based on what i've read. I may have to try it to find out.

Best,

A.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Phantasmic 6 {12} - monks party (4th and final update)

In the catacombs the monks were initially trying to trigger all the traps without using any resources, but Spectre had to resort to a last-second potion of absorption when a lightning bolt tracked her down for the third time.  
Spoiler
After robbing the tombs they didn't bother with the ghasts or all of the dopplegangers as they moved through into the caverns. Phantom triggered the web traps there using stealth and ring of free action before fireballs and wand blasts cut down Prat and his gang.

Back in the city the monks didn't bother to take on Slythe with their normal stunning attacks, but just cut him down with massed wand blasts.  
Spoiler
On to the palace where they all used strength, heroism and defence / invulnerability potions.  Added to more wand blasts they made pretty short work of the dopplegangers, though 2 of them were badly wounded and Spook had to save against a chaos from the mage.  
Spoiler
Belt was safely escorted to a side room and Sarevok just failed to do enough damage to kill Liia either.
Spoiler

After paying for some temple healing they made their way through the maze.  A salvo of fireballs on the Undercity party left just a bit of mopping up by hand.  
Spoiler
That encounter reminded me that fireball stocks were low, but I decided to press on anyway.  In the temple Sarevok was parked as usual in a corner, taking Semaj, Tazok and Diarmid with him.  Angelo then finally found multiple wand of heavens blasts too much for him.  After waiting for Diarmid's scroll of PfM to drop, exhausting their fireballs killed all the acolytes and the skeleton warriors were then pulled out singly to just leave Sarevok.  He chased round after Spectre, but never caught him and a combination of wand blasts and missile fire soon finished him off.
Spoiler

The monks in this run are still a bit under 100k XP - less than half the last completionist run (and with only about 30% of the kills) - but have moved on to BG2 anyway.

Chimera - L7, 44 HPs, 98 kills
Spectre - L7, 50 HPs, 188 kills, 0 deaths
Phantom - L7, 55 HPs, 104 kills, 1 death
Wraith - L7, 36 HPs, 98 kills, 2 deaths
Spook - L7, 44 HPs, 107 kills, 1 death
Spirit - L7, 50 HPs, 95 kills, 0 deaths

• Alesia_BH, ussnorway, Serg BlackStrider and 3 others like this

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Congrats Grond0 - hopefully the monks' arrival in Amn will stun the opposition...

• Alesia_BH likes this

Blackraven

Blackraven
  • Members
  • 1,377 posts

Congratulations Grond0! That's not a bad death count at all.
Keep up the good work in Amn!

ussnorway

ussnorway
  • Members
  • 2,350 posts

Bl-scs30 update 1.5, 

Metropolis;

Hear text as mp3,

I side tracked to Firewine ruins hunting an ogre mage for his scroll but scs30 has cheated me out of my second 'Clouldkill' loot. Then we hit the big city for a whirlwind round-up of quests for Scar… ending in a raid of the Iron Throne HQ. I have no real defence against stealth so decided to "bring the rain" with fireballs;
Imoen and Dynaheir open with two wand shots each then both drink an invisibility potion to survive any thief attention,
Ajantis and Kivan have two detonation arrows each for that extra kick and Branwen had her necklace of missiles while yours truly opened with a 'web' then just picked up the loot.

p1-beastl35.jpg

Spoiler
p1-beastl40.jpg

Dynaheir stealthed us all with a 'Invisibility 10 Radius' before the Duke sent us back to Candlekeep for an ogre mage gang bang but we legged it before they really got stuck in  (except for poor Ajantis who got stunned) then we turned/ summoned and made them pay for their overconfidence in plotting against us.

• Serg BlackStrider, Grimwald the Wise, Blackraven and 1 other like this

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

@USSNorway - lower level of Durlag's Tower has a cloudkill scroll, also there is one on the ground in the area directly south of Nashkel did you get both of those?

• Grimwald the Wise likes this