Good hunting in Amn!

Best,

A.

• Blackraven likes this

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,558 posts

Thrilling update, Blackraven! Well done! Safe travels in Amn!

• Blackraven likes this

Golden28

Golden28
  • Members
  • 277 posts

Blackraven... A while since I have read such excellent, upbeat and lengthy (but not too long) episodes from you, and in the middle of the week even! I'm so impressed!

I cringed when you relied on saves a handful of times but you didn't have much choice, besides, a successful NRC always requires some luck.

TBH, I was kinda glad when you picked wizard slayer dwarf. Good saves + magic resistance may get you out of those clutch moments!

And I remember you got very far with a wizard slayer once but got foiled by a lower resistance + chaos and lazy play.

Please be careful this time, Ill be following her with great interest! :)

Cheers!

• Grimwald the Wise and Blackraven like this

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

Sounds like you've got the Wizard Slayer class sussed Blackraven.  Best of luck for BG2.

• Blackraven likes this

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

Does Nippy have a pseudodragon yet... and does allowing it to finish a target off count as death by non-melee in your eyes?

Not yet, no.  Death by familiar would not be allowed, but her alignment was chosen with a view to the possibility of using the pseudodragon to send things to sleep - though by the time she gets it she will probably have better strategies from her own spells.

• ussnorway and Blackraven like this

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Nippy - melee sorcerer (update 2)

Travelling invisibly, Nippy went down to Nashkel.  At the Carnival he was too hasty in his first encounter and found himself pick-pocketed, but after a long session of running round against a blinded Zordral he finally found a killing blow.
Spoiler

He failed to save Arabelle, but did acquire the bracers from Meilum.  
Spoiler
They're a bit of a mixed blessing for Nippy as they increase substantially the chance of accidentally killing something with missiles, so he won't always wear them.  He tried to get the girdle of piercing, but unfortunately that proved to be of inferior workmanship :(.
Spoiler
Luckily there was some compensation at the FAI where he found a ring to greatly increase his number of available blindness spells.  Tarnesh was blinded there and soon finished off (casting and attacking from invisible).
Spoiler

At the basilisk area chill touch made short work of various basilisks - here he has lined up a collection, already weakened by missiles, ready for the chop.  
Spoiler
He tried 3 blinds at Mutamin without success and eventually just ran him round using darts until he was ready for an invisible finish.  
Spoiler
Finishing off the mage's special pet got Nippy to level 6 and he rested there.
Spoiler

Kirian's party were all annoyed when he tried blinding one of them, so he had to run and use invisibility to shake them off.  That resulted in Peter being separated from the others and Nippy successfully slowed and blinded him before finishing him off.  
Spoiler
Kirian was the only other real threat - she was also slowed and then blinded from invisibility at the second attempt and she and the others were soon just a footnote in history as well.
Spoiler

Nippy has just dined on the remains of Melicamp, but will see if he can be more successful increasing reputation in the next session.

Sorcerer L6, 32 HPs, 67 kills

• ussnorway and Grimwald the Wise like this

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts

Another day, another Kaxir dwarven Kensai. No screenshots this time and I'll try to remember the details as I didn't make notes either. 1/10.

(new roll, STR 18/16. Dex 17. Con 19. Int 16. Wis 18. Cha 1)

Shoal the Nereid

Throwing daggers at somebody who is like a fish out of water seems unfair.

Gaining 27/30hp makes up for it though, and meant Kaxir had a decent health buffer from that point.

Essential gear

With ** in dagger and ** in long sword there are several decent options out there.

The dagger proficiency was used early to relieve Greywolf of his sword.

Spare cash provided a Potion Case and Necklace of Missiles.

Bumping into Neera saw a Gem Bag obtained.

Firebead handed over a Scroll Container.

The rock garden

A Protection from Petrification scroll gave the usual protection against basilisks.

Mutamin dodged a couple of early daggers thanks to his mirror images.

Kaxir ran off and successfully saved against horror.

He returned with Varscona and an unenchanted long sword.

Mutamin got a couple of Melf Acid Arrows in before being chunked.

Peter died of Necklace fire.

Lindin gave chase and evaded several daggers.

Kaxir ran into Korax the ghoul at this stage and they meleed Lindin - he died before Korax arrived.

Returning for the others, Kirian also died before Korax arrived.

Baerin was no threat but Korax got two hits in anyway.

Kaxir picked up a second enchanted long sword.

Black Alaric's Cave

Hill Giant Strength > Defence > Heroism > Clarity > Girdle of Piercing was too much for the Sirines.

Absorbtion > Girdle of Bluntness was too much for the Flesh Golems.

Nashkel Mine

With plenty of hit points and a regenerative 20 constitution the path to Mulahey was traversed safely.

A Greenstone Amulet charge lasted longer than the half-orc cleric.

His kobolds were diced first, then the skeletons took a beating from a Morning Star +1.

(Trying to use appropriate weapons for enemy type so they don't get aresistance bonus)

Amazons

Two Necklace charges sees all four lovelies cremated.

Kaxir realises afterwards that he sold the Harrower sword.

(Didn't even think about it, it's normally my offhand weapon of choice).

Bandit Camp

Kaxir had far too many hit points to have to worry about Horror and Magic Missile. He saved and Numbul died.

Tranzig failed to cast his Armour buff, and died a moment or two later.

Cloak, Girdle and Boots of Piercing saw most of the bandit camp cleared.

Taugosz was dragged away and forced Kaxir to switch from melee to ranged. 4 daggers all hit and he collapsed.

A Greenstone Amulet was the only tent buff. Venkt died really quickly, followed by Raemon, Hakt and Britik.

Cloakwood

First area skipped.

Protection from Poison > Potion of Freedom saw the main dangers cleared.

Stepping back towards the door (right-click) saw Centeol's spiders and ettercaps attack one or two at a time. 3-4 blue potions were required.

Third area skipped after obtaining a friendly potion.

Fourth area skipped.

Cloakwood Mine exterior

Drasus and Genthore survived two Necklace of Missile strikes.

Kaxir closed in for melee, attacking them in the order above.

Boots of Speed equipped for the remainder of the game.

Cloakwood Mine interior

Unbuffed attacks up to and including the ghasts, killed by daggers.

He'd taken ~50% damage by this point.

Defence > Heroism > Stone Giant > Absorbtion > Speed > Regeneration buffs.

He then took the direct route downstairs, clearing each room as he went and picking up potions at the temple.

He stood by a wall to fight the final guard, speeding up detection of a secret entrance.

Carelessly drew both Battle Horrors out at once. Killed them both with minimal damage.

Charged Davaeorn, killed him after two teleports.

Flooded the Mine.

Nipped over to Durlags Tower to get a magical tome, via Greenstone Amulet.

Baldur's Gate

Picked up tome of Intelligence.

Dealt with Marek, Jalantha. Fooled the very large ogre in the Blushing Mermaid.

Protection from Magic > Cloud Giant > Heroism > Absorbtion > Speed buffs.

Killed the Iron Throne Mercenaries, used the stairs to divide and conquer.

Cleared the Seven Suns and Ogre in the sewers on the way to Scar and Eltan.

Return to Candlekeep

Picked up a ring from Koveras.

Falsely arrested, rescued by Tethtoril.

Picked up two more tomes in the Catacombs.

Killed the Doppelgangers.

Killed Prat's gang. Greenstone Amulet, went for Tam first, then Bor, then the others. Much less damage than usual as a result of Tam being targeted.

Slythe & Coronation

Checked stats - realised the Dex tome was missing. Picked it up.

Storm Giant > Defence > Speed > Power buffs.

Slythe fell quickly, Kaxir left as has learnt before that Krystin casts Remove Magic.

Handed over Slythe's invitation to attend the Coronation.

Cast DUHM before waltzing in. Tried to Kai but was too slow.

Killed all the Greater Doppelgangers. Belt survived, Liia did not.

Endgame

Thieves Maze completed under buffs. Protection from Undead used to nullify the Skeleton Warriors.

Necklace fireballs, explosive potions used to warm up the welcoming committee.

Rahvin and Carston chased after Kaxir. Protection from Fire potion used then he meleed them.

Necklace Fireballs used to kill more enemies. Melee the near-dead ogre.

Attack Shaldrissa, she had more mirrors so a Firebreath potion added.

Rest.

Protection from Magic.

Draw out the enemy and their Remove/Dispel combo.

Park Sarevok using Invisibility potion.

Buff. Including second Potion of Power.

Attack Semaj. Switch to Angelo and kill him as he arrives.

Switch to Tazok and kill him when he arrives.

Finish Semaj off.

Melee Sarevok. Plenty of hp left as he dies.

312 kills + Rahvin's group + Sarevok's group.

Hit point rolls were outstanding:  Something like 15 + 27 + 10 + 14 + 13 + 14 + 12 to reach 105hp at level 8.

• ussnorway, Grond0, Grimwald the Wise and 2 others like this

Blackraven

Blackraven
  • Members
  • 1,377 posts

Thanks @everyone for their congrats.
Golden, glad to see you're still around! I cringed as well a few times. I tried to minimize the luck factor (except for that silly decision to pick up the WIS tome), but I believe there's no way around it at certain points of the game, like Cloakwood webs, Ogre Magi, and the final fight where ANgelo and Semaj wait for PfMagic to expire. I'll have to be careful with Morhild, because other WS attempts may easily fail in BG1.

Congrats Gate, with Kaxir. Great to see him in action again!

Good luck Grond0 with your unconventional Sorcerer :)

• Grimwald the Wise likes this

Faazazel

Faazazel
  • Members
  • 19 posts

NRC001 - dual wielding party – AR6700 Beregost

The group goes to Beregost through a part of cloackwood forest. There they meet a woman searching for her child

Spoiler

There’s also a small fight with a group of tasloi who happen to have a strange cloak.

In Beregost the group is greeted by Will Scarlet O-Hara

Spoiler

And his friend Golin Vend

Spoiler

They help Udolf, Teliel and Agnus to divide their coins

Spoiler

They calm down a local drunk

Spoiler

They help Firebead to buy a book

Spoiler

Kill an evil witch named Silke

Spoiler

And are forced to kill Karlat the assassin

Spoiler

In a house they help Alanna who’s neighbor was changed to slime

Spoiler

And their neighbor the Dudley family to find back a missing necklace

Spoiler

They also accept the quest from two dwarves

Spoiler

Axelle, the only one with ranged weapons, kills four spiders in an infested house

Spoiler

They negotiate with a guy to buy a deed, but the cost is 3000gp

Spoiler

They hear a guardsman talk about a bounty

Spoiler

They find the owner of the tasloi cloak

Spoiler

A thief talks about some treasure

Spoiler

And a paladin about some half-ogres

Spoiler

Before leaving beregost to explore the surroundings they ask their new friend Will Scarlet to identify some items

Spoiler

Sell some equipment and buy a second katana

Spoiler

And have a good night sleep

Spoiler

Known Mod Content

• Missing chield in claokwood from Ascalons questpack
  • Udolf, Teliel and Agnus from Ascalons questpack
  •  Will Scarlet O-Hara from NToSC
  • Slime quest and missing necklace from Baldur's Gate Mini Quests & Encounters
  • Two dwarves and the dedd selling butler from Kit Tome mod

Unknown mods

• Move of Safana?

Next goals

• get the fighters to lvl 2 58,6% - 7027/12000 experience
  • Return to the FAI when there's at least 5000gp to spend
  • Find a way to increase Str of Katanza

Characters

• Alavriel - 5% exp / 11% kills
  • Axelle - 28% exp / 11% kills
  • Lilliana - 18% exp / 22% kills
  • Katanza - 19% exp / 7% kills
  • Gladius - 13% exp / 24% kills
  • Grumbar - 14% exp / 21% kills

New permanent magical items

• Mail of the dead +2 from Silke (Grumbar)
  • Cloak of Non-detection from tasloi (Lilliana)

• ussnorway, Gate70, Grimwald the Wise and 1 other like this

Faazazel

Faazazel
  • Members
  • 19 posts

And then I made a mistake at high hedge, when enetring to buy and sell Alavriel decided to take the way next to the flesh golem and she was instantly killed :(

• ussnorway and Grimwald the Wise like this

Dyara

Dyara
  • Members
  • 330 posts

And then I made a mistake at high hedge, when enetring to buy and sell Alavriel decided to take the way next to the flesh golem and she was instantly killed :(

Bad luck :( ... btw until now I didn't knew that the golems are supposed to be hostile until you've talked to Thalantyr for the first time. Strange... never paid attention but never got attacked either.

@Blackraven: Congratulations :) ... good to see you in Amn again :)

• Grimwald the Wise and Blackraven like this

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

Well done Gate70 - see if you can go one better in ToB this time.

Bad luck :( ... btw until now I didn't knew that the golems are supposed to be hostile until you've talked to Thalantyr for the first time. Strange... never paid attention but never got attacked either.

Hard luck Faazazel.  I think the golems always start round the sides, so you can always go safely in to see Thalantyr - but as you found out you can't go round the sides.  Sometimes it's nice to have hostile golems though - a few +1 arrows and you can rake in some decent XP :).

Faazazel

Faazazel
  • Members
  • 19 posts

Well done Gate70 - see if you can go one better in ToB this time.

Hard luck Faazazel.  I think the golems always start round the sides, so you can always go safely in to see Thalantyr - but as you found out you can't go round the sides.  Sometimes it's nice to have hostile golems though - a few +1 arrows and you can rake in some decent XP :).

I didn't have any +1 weapons at that moment (not that it would matter since my main was killed in one blow). And the error was more a matter of bad pathfinding. The party blocked the way to Thalantyr, so some characters decided to take the other way round. But I'll give this one another try later.

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts

I am starting out with two almost identical berserkers, Æthelthryth and Weißekopf. In future I will call them Aethelthryth and Weisskopf for ease in typing.

Æthelthryth is an Aasimar (For the extra wisdom) whilst Weißekopf is a Teifling (For the extra intelligence) Æthelthryth will dual to cleric at level 6, whilst Weißekopf will dual to mage at level 7.

(Always assuming that they get there.

Baldr001.jpg

Baldr002.jpg

In Candlekeep we defeated the upgraded assassins.

Baldr004.jpg

And stole a healing potion.

Baldr005.jpg

After leaving Candlekeep, we headed for the Friendly Arms Inn where we defeated Tarnesh with no difficulty.

Baldr000.jpg

Heading North, we killed a womans undead husband.

Baldr008.jpg

Near there we agreed to help some fishermen, but changed sides upon learning the truth.

Baldr009.jpg

And then killed a nearby Ankheg.

Baldr010.jpg

To throw throw the assassins off our trail, we headed to Nashkel and then to Beregost to stock up with equipment. We discovered that there were assassins there also, one of whom killed a merchant that we had charmed with Lord Foreshadow’s ring.

Baldr011.jpg

Having acquired Algernon’s Cloak, we used it to gain allies against multiple Karlats and Spiders. Many of our allies died despite being well equipped.

• ussnorway, Serg BlackStrider, Blackraven and 1 other like this

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts

Baldr012.jpg

Baldr013.jpg

Baldr014.jpg

Baldr015.jpg

Baldr016.jpg

Baldr024.jpg

And we eventually ended up killing Silke.

Baldr031.jpg

North of Beregost, we met some tough kobolds:

Baldr035.jpg

In transit we got some good experience with ghasts:

Baldr038.jpg

Some dread wolves were just as forthcoming with experience:

Baldr040.jpg

Near the dread wolves were more ghasts.

Baldr041.jpg

Whilst some hobgoblins gave us some valuable equipment:

Baldr042.jpg

Since we were Berserkers, we thought that the sirene would be even more profitable concerning experience:

Baldr044.jpg

Baldr045.jpg

• ussnorway, Serg BlackStrider and Blackraven like this

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts

Flesh golems were equally forthcoming:

Baldr046.jpg

Returning to the Carnival, we killed the amazing Oopah.

Baldr048.jpg

Before returning to the vicinity of the Friendly Arms where Aoln was the recipient of many spells:

Baldr051.jpg

Because of his sacrifice, we were able to kill some powerful assassins.

Baldr053.jpg

Baldr054.jpg

Baldr055.jpg

We then helped a dog, a dryad, and a cat:

Baldr055.jpg

We killed an ogre mage easily:

Baldr056.jpg

And then killed some more assassins.

Baldr057.jpg

• ussnorway, Serg BlackStrider and Dyara like this

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

Gate70/Grond0 multiplayer attempt 89 - (2nd and final update)

Ira, human inquisitor (Grond0) & Strofii, elf stalker Gate70)

The last few sessions have all been short and contained disasters.  Today we had the opportunity for an extended session - so what did that contain ...

The session started at the basilisk area.  The monsters all fell without fuss before Strofii tried to kill Mutamin with stealth shots.  Just before succeeding with that the mage got enough of a look at him to launch a horror - fortunately though Strofii did not run into any enemies while running round.  

Spoiler

Korax was recruited to help with Kirian's party and they all fell - getting the duo to level 5 in the process.

Spoiler

Seeking some more high value XP encounters the next stop was the lighthouse area.  The sirines didn't enjoy at all being assaulted by a character immune to charm and running true sight - particularly with another backstabbing them.  

Spoiler

The golems were shot with +1 arrows.

Spoiler

I thought the Doomsayer might be difficult, but it had some poor throws and fell more with a whimper than a roar.  

Spoiler

Also in that area we were attacking Laryssa with arrows with a view to picking up her magic shield.  That was done, although it was the mad Brage that dealt the fatal blow to his cousin.

Spoiler

There was a dangerous moment when Neira confused Ira.  There was no real chance of him dying, but there were quite a few innocents around that could have led to a fallen paladin - fortunately though he got stuck trying to run into a wall and didn't attack anyone.

Spoiler

With reputation up to 18 at that point a trip to the FAI and on to the ankheg area maximised it - leading to a spot of shopping at Ulgoth's Beard.  Back in Beregost Gate70 made another of his predictions - this time that Silke wouldn't last long.  Once more he was correct.

Greywolf handed over his sword before the duo moved into the Nashkel Mine.  Progressing through that proved no problem before Strofii backstabbed Mulahey.  His retaliatory hold person was countered by a Greenstone Amulet charge before the cleric was sent running - to be cut down by arrows.

Spoiler

Outside the mine there was a more difficult encounter when the amazons successfully confused Ira again.  With Strofii being targeted by missiles he had to briefly withdraw into stealth before coming back to take revenge.

Spoiler

Nimbul was exposed by true sight and Tranzig smacked down as the duo moved on to the Bandit Camp.  The bandits there hit Strofii with a few arrows before Taugosz was tempted away from their protection.  

Spoiler

With the exterior pacified there was time to rest and heal before entering the main tent.  Strofii used the Greenstone Amulet and quickly struck Venkt down - leaving the others pretty helpless.

Spoiler

The main action in the Cloakwood was defeating Centeol's spiders to get a sword upgrade for Ira.  He did also hack down the hamadryad to demonstrate his immunity to charm and hold person.  At the mine Strofii poisoned Kysus with an arrow of biting before completing the job with a backstab when the mage chased him.  That freed him to come and help Ira who had taken Drasus for a stroll, but was making heavy weather of finishing him off.

Spoiler

After resting up, Strofii one-shot Rezdan with a backstab, leaving Genthore no chance against a joint assault.

Spoiler

Inside the mine the duo did the minimum fighting necessary to get down to Davaeorn.  They'd still needed to rest up to heal once though and Strofii protested when asking to retreat and heal again after the death of the first battle horror.  Swallowing his pride, Ira reluctantly swallowed some healing potions before dealing with the second battle horror.  He then used true sight to expose Davaeorn to Strofii's backstab - meaning a follow-up attack prevented the mage from managing even his first dimension door.

Spoiler

In Baldur's Gate the poison quest provided Strofii with a nice bow upgrade.  Marek did manage to get off a lightning bolt just before he died, prompting Ira to quickly retreat and find himself playing roulette while the lightning was bouncing around!  

Spoiler

Ramazith's tower produced a tome to upgrade Ira's intelligence to a level where he can manage to use basic magical items.

With nothing else wanted in the City the duo went to take on the Iron Throne.  Conflict there wasn't actually necessary, but the initiated it anyway with the aim of jumping up and down stairs.  After a couple of backstabs though Strofii was affected by a horror and was almost dead when Ira's hastily cast dispel magic allowed him to use an invisibility potion.

Spoiler

He only partially healed himself after that though - with the result that when he was stunned by a chromatic orb he was killed before another dispel from Ira could reach him.  

Spoiler

After a first trip to the temple to raise the fallen the duo returned and finished off the remainder of the Iron Throne garrison without problems.

Spoiler

Returning to Candlekeep the duo stayed passive this time and caused no bloodshed on their way into the catacombs.  A scroll of PfM and a potion of storm giant strength allowed the tombs to be looted.  True sight made the greater doppleganger easy enough on the way out and the scroll was still active as Prat's gang were cut down - though once more Strofii had to practice his dodging as a lightning bolt rebounded first one side of him and then the other.

Spoiler

Back in Baldur's Gate Slythe was pulled away from Krystin and dispelled before losing a melee contest.  

Spoiler

At the palace Ira used 2 dispels - affecting 5 of the 6 dopplegangers.  With Strofii firing in support the dopplegangers managed to kill Liia, but didn't make much of an impression on Belt.  Despite Belt being then safely stashed in a side room, Strofii felt compelled to offer himself as a target - but was only hit once before the big man made a run for it.

Spoiler

The maze was no problem with PfU scrolls being used to defuse the threat from the skeleton warriors.  They also made it easy to circle round behind the Undercity party and make first use of arrows of explosion.  Six arrows - 3 from each character - saw 6 enemies lying in very small bits on the ground before they could take any action in response.

Spoiler

In the temple, Ira dragged Sarevok out with a dispelling arrow.  When Semaj teleported out in support the duo both took potions of magic blocking before using dispelling arrows on the mage.  

Spoiler

With him dead more arrows took Sarevok to near death before they looked to finish the contest in melee for greater style points.  

Spoiler

The XP for winning that contest was enough to give both of them the ability to level up to level 8 on arrival in Jon's dungeon.

Stats:

Ira, inquisitor 7, 95 HPs (incl. 5 from Helm), 165 kills

Strofii, stalker 7, 63 HPs, 179 kills, 1 death

• ussnorway, Serg BlackStrider, Grimwald the Wise and 2 others like this

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

Good luck Wise - that's a fine looking tiefling you've got there, look after him :P.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Congrats Gate70/Grond0 - hopefully with your "disasters" out of your system, you can have a smooth, strong run at Throne.

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts

This is then how we stood:
Baldr059.jpg
Baldr060.jpg
We tried to save a mage at the carnival, but failed:
Baldr061.jpg
Heading Northwards again, we killed Tristan and Isolde:
Baldr062.jpg
We then headed to the basilisk area, but didn’t meet any basilisks:
Baldr063.jpg
And then it was the turn of Bassilus:
Baldr065.jpg
We then hunted some more sirene:
Baldr066.jpg
It was then the turn of the ankhegs:
Baldr067.jpg
After which Weisskopf dualled to a mage.
Baldr069.jpg
Baldr070.jpg

• ussnorway, Serg BlackStrider and Blackraven like this

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts

Good luck Wise - that's a fine looking tiefling you've got there, look after him :P.

Of course it is fine looking. It's me, as you probably realised. :D

• Blackraven likes this

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts

Forgot to take a screenshot at the death of Mulahey.

Valerie and Ajantis joined us.

I got Valerie, a sorcerer to join, not because I needed a sorcerer, but because I have never had a sorcerer in my party before, and wanted to test it out.

Ajantis was chosen because the Berserker Brats have not got their fighter abilities back yet.

At the bandit camp we killed Tazok:
Baldr083.jpg
We were then attacked by more assassins who we killed:
Baldr085.jpg
Baldr086.jpg
We then fought the bandits and it was certainly bloody:
Baldr087.jpg
Eventually three of the party were killed:
Baldr088.jpg
I killed Venkt:
Baldr089.jpg
Eventually I triumphed, but at what a cost:
Baldr090.jpg
I then had my comrades raised and we returned to Beregost where we killed Tranzig:
Baldr092.jpg

• ussnorway, Blackraven, Dyara and 1 other like this

Borco

Borco
  • Members
  • 100 posts
Anomandra, halfling Priest of Helm, 1st update:

My first contact with BGEE proved to be a short one after Anomandra and Imoen got involuntarily involved in the new encounter with Meera and her pursuers when playing shoot-and-run with Beregost's famous spiders. 14HP was just not enough to withstand the mage's MMA firepower. 

Baldr008_zpsulzlrfaj.jpg 

I'll dare to re-try the journey from scratch.

B.
  • ussnorway, Grimwald the Wise, Blackraven and 1 other like this

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

My first contact with BGEE proved to be a short one after Anomandra and Imoen got involuntarily involved in the new encounter with Neera and her pursuers when playing shoot-and-run with Beregost's famous spiders. 14HP was just not enough to withstand the mage's MMA firepower. 

Tough luck Borco and best wishes for the re-run.  Gate70 and I have just about learned (through painful experience) that it's best to just stay away from that bit of Beregost at low levels.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Nippy - melee sorcerer (3rd and final update)

The reputation quests were done without too many alarms - Nippy did get hit by one critical by a wolf, but his decent HPs meant that wasn't a danger.  The only mistake was selling a magical shield for 1 gold piece rather than identifying it :blink:.

With all the basic quests done, reputation was at 19 - that prompted Nippy to move on to the Nashkel Mine.  Invisibility took him through that safely to Mulahey's cave where he killed the original kobolds before resting.  Mulahey was then successfully blinded, but Nippy was then hit by a nasty critical through his mirrors and did some invisible resting (using LMD to recharge HPs) before re-engaging.  With Mulahey's reactions slowed down Nippy was able to blind him again without any retaliation and then picked off his army without taking any more damage.  The cleric himself was then subjected to the normal darts / chill touch finish.

As the gray oozes could one-shot him he just left them and returned to Nashkel.  There he used web for the first time to ensure Nimbul could not object to being blinded.  To avoid him disappearing Nippy used LMD to turn him hostile and then let the guards attack him - only coming in invisibly for the final blow after his stoneskins were down and he was at badly wounded.  He immediately made use of the find familiar scroll Nimbul had to make him significantly less vulnerable to criticals.

With reputation now at 20 - and friends allowing him to push charisma past that - Nippy bought the good stuff from Ulgoth's Beard, along with a Robe of the Archmagi and Wand of Sleep from High Hedge.

Tranzig's saves were too good for the web / blind strategy, but a few invisible attacks saw him try and surrender - without success.

Before progressing to the Bandit Camp, Nippy visited Durlag's Tower.  The frost wand and then magic missile wand set up the slowed battle horrors for the finish and one of those took Nippy to level 8.  There are loads of 4th level spells he would like to have, but he plumped initially for stoneskin to further reduce the critical threat.  On the roof he used a PFP blue scroll.  Unlike the green scroll the basilisks react to that by changing to melee attacks, so he followed up by blinding them before finishing them off.  I was worried about the scroll running out by the time that had been done, so had put MSD up - though I'm not sure that would have stopped a gaze attack anyway.  As it happened the scroll did last long enough, though there wasn't a lot to spare. MSD was useful to negate the domination trap on the tome.

There was further use for MSD back at the lighthouse area to protect from potential charm as he came in invisibly to finish off sirines (already damaged by a first use of a fire wand and darts).  However, that tactic came to an unfortunate end against Sil.  The sirine resistance to fire meant I thought it was perfectly safe to use scorchers on them (having tested fireballs on the previous group).  Regrettably, Sil did not have the same fire resistance as the others and she became Nippy's first non-melee casualty.
Spoiler
Checking in Shadowkeeper confirmed that the normal sirine 50% resistance to elemental damage had been replaced for Sil by 40% magic resistance - so she (and Nippy) were unlucky that she failed with both magic resistance and save attempts against both rounds of scorcher damage :(.

That seems a pretty mean way to end, so I'll give Nippy another chance with a restart ...

• corey_russell, ussnorway, Serg BlackStrider and 2 others like this